PDA

View Full Version : Legit question - Can Furman possibly make playoffs at 6-4 ?

gofurman
November 3rd, 2018, 08:56 PM
Hear me out

I do think IF IF. IF Furman WINS OUT the committee has a tough choice based on weather

Furman went 7-4 last year w the same opponents. And got in the playoffs at 7-4
so that's a fact we know.

IF WE WIN OUT. IF. That would be 6-4 this year with the missing Colgate game lost to hurricane ... who can say what would have happened ? Does the committee punish us for weather (and it was Colgate who backed out by the way.. Furman was offering free tickets to anyone who evacuated from the coast then Colgate announced the game was off a few hours later).

And Furman 6-4 this year has a more signature win than 7-4 Furman last year. We beat top 5/10 Wofford by 20. And today we beat top 30 Chattanooga ... Last year several people said 'but you didn't beat any top 30 / quality teams. '. Well this year we have. TWO now - one a top ten team in Wofford. So we did the same as last year except we have two much better wins.

We we were just denied a game because of the weather

1). Do you punish a team for the other team cancelling the game / weather ?
2). And this a Furman team who did the same as last year except with BETTER QUALITY WINS

For the hypothetical:

2017 playoff Furman. 7-4. Xxxxxxxx 2018 Furman. Xxx. Bold if different
NC State Loss. Xxxxxxxx Clemson Loss
Elon. Loss. Xxxxxxx. Elon. Loss
Samford. Loss Xxxxxxxx. Samford. Loss
Wofford Loss. Xxxxxxxx. Wofford. WIN
ETSU. Win. Xxxxxxxx ETSU. Loss (MUCH BETTER ETSU THIS YEAR -lead SoCon)
Citadel. Win xxxx. Citadel. Win
Western. Win. Xxxxxx. Western. Win
Chattanooga. Win. Xxxxxxxx. Chattanooga. Win (MUCH BETTER UTC THIS YEAR)
Mercer. Win. Xxxxxxx. Mercer. Win
VMI. Win. Xxxxxxx. VMI. Win

[ Colgate. Win. Xxxxxxxx. Colgate cancelled the game]

I guess a further point in Furmans favor would be the committee says they look at how you finished. Last year we won 7 of last 8 and got in... This hypothesis includes winning 6 of last 7 games !

does Furman have a shot at 6-4? Really asking.

Also, what if Furman finishes 2nd in SoCon at 6-2 conference record but Wofford is 3rd or 4th also at 6-2 conference record but we are 6-4 and they are 8-3 but we beat them head to head by 20? But Furman played Clemson and Elon and tried for Colgate ...while Wofford played Wyoming and Gardner Webb and Presbyterian.

Honestly interested in hearing your thoughts ..!

Kramden
November 3rd, 2018, 08:59 PM
I think they should be in and play Colgate in the opening round. How disgraceful for a team to chicken out of a game since they thought they'd lose and spoil a good season. The game should be played in SC.

gofurman
November 3rd, 2018, 09:04 PM
I think they should be in and play Colgate in the opening round.

I am 100% fine with that !

dewey
November 3rd, 2018, 09:19 PM
Whether or not Colgate wanted to reschedule the game will have no bearing on the committee come playoff time.

I look at the Furman schedule and see 1 good win (Wofford) the rest are meh.

Dewey
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181104/e55c318d8e8a761eb84c10a10b4f3e64.jpg

Mayville Bison
November 3rd, 2018, 09:20 PM
There are a ton of teams in the 10-30 range this year. Furman needed ETSU to lose so they had a chance at the SoCon auto bid.

Do they have a chance with 6 wins? Sure, since the Southland doesn’t want any extra bids, the Valley is eliminating each other, and the SoCon is a circular logic mess. Is it a good shot? No, but it has nothing to do with the cancelled game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2018, 09:22 PM
Hear me out

I do think IF IF. IF Furman WINS OUT the committee has a tough choice based on weather

Furman went 7-4 last year w the same opponents. And got in the playoffs at 7-4
so that's a fact we know.

IF WE WIN OUT. IF. That would be 6-4 this year with the missing Colgate game lost to hurricane ... who can say what would have happened ? Does the committee punish us for weather (and it was Colgate who backed out by the way.. Furman was offering free tickets to anyone who evacuated from the coast then Colgate announced the game was off a few hours later).

And Furman 6-4 this year has a more signature win than 7-4 Furman last year. We beat top 5/10 Wofford by 20. And today we beat top 30 Chattanooga ... Last year several people said 'but you didn't beat any top 30 / quality teams. '. Well this year we have. TWO now - one a top ten team in Wofford. So we did the same as last year except we have two much better wins.

We we were just denied a game because of the weather

1). Do you punish a team for the other team cancelling the game / weather ?
2). And this a Furman team who did the same as last year except with BETTER QUALITY WINS

For the hypothetical:

2017 playoff Furman. 7-4. Xxxxxxxx 2018 Furman. Xxx. Bold if different
NC State Loss. Xxxxxxxx Clemson Loss
Elon. Loss. Xxxxxxx. Elon. Loss
Samford. Loss Xxxxxxxx. Samford. Loss
Wofford Loss. Xxxxxxxx. Wofford. WIN
ETSU. Win. Xxxxxxxx ETSU. Loss (MUCH BETTER ETSU THIS YEAR -lead SoCon)
Citadel. Win xxxx. Citadel. Win
Western. Win. Xxxxxx. Western. Win
Chattanooga. Win. Xxxxxxxx. Chattanooga. Win (MUCH BETTER UTC THIS YEAR)
Mercer. Win. Xxxxxxx. Mercer. Win
VMI. Win. Xxxxxxx. VMI. Win

[ Colgate. Win. Xxxxxxxx. Colgate cancelled the game]

I guess a further point in Furmans favor would be the committee says they look at how you finished. Last year we won 7 of last 8 and got in... This hypothesis includes winning 6 of last 7 games !

does Furman have a shot at 6-4? Really asking.

Also, what if Furman finishes 2nd in SoCon at 6-2 conference record but Wofford is 3rd or 4th also at 6-2 conference record but we are 6-4 and they are 8-3 but we beat them head to head by 20? But Furman played Clemson and Elon and tried for Colgate ...while Wofford played Wyoming and Gardner Webb and Presbyterian.

Honestly interested in hearing your thoughts ..!

You better have proof of this. There was absolutely no mention of "Colgate backing out" until about two days ago. Now it's picking up legs imo to play to a certain narrative.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 09:22 PM
Absolutely not

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2018, 09:24 PM
I think they should be in and play Colgate in the opening round. How disgraceful for a team to chicken out of a game since they thought they'd lose and spoil a good season. The game should be played in SC.

It would have made no difference if they played and lost! They aren't going to beat Army barring a miracle so an undefeated season was never in the cards. What the hell is the difference between 9-2 or 9-1 in the grand of scheme things? This is easily the best Colgate team since 2003. Much better than last year's edition that went 7-4.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 09:32 PM
It would have made no difference if they played and lost! They aren't going to beat Army barring a miracle so an undefeated season was never in the cards. What the hell is the difference between 9-2 or 9-1 in the grand of scheme things? This is easily the best Colgate team since 2003. Much better than last year's edition that went 7-4.

Colgate would have dump trucked Furman.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 09:49 PM

Yes we are in play for the autobid and/or at large bid

Ill even go to Colgate!!!! Bring it on Colgate!!!!

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 09:50 PM
Colgate would have dump trucked Furman.

Yes their defense is good, but you do know they have not beaten a single team with a winning record right!!

Guess who dump trucked Colgate last year!

I bet you were one that thought that was not a good win for Furman last year, now your on their bandwagon lol

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 09:51 PM
I know its a 4 quarter game a rightfully so, but I think the future is bright in Greenville, we need a few more weapons and a bit more depth but we are close

Furman has had at least 2 score 2nd half leads in every SoCon game this year so far

In 2nd half of 6 SoCon games:
Lead ETSU 27-6
Lead WCU 38-17
Lead Wofford 34-14
Lead Samford 19-10 (and driving before long fumble TD return for sammy)
Lead Citadel 28-17
Lead UTC 16-3

Sorry I know I am tooting our own horn, but I am happy to be encouraged again now after being down about us early in the year

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 09:58 PM
Yes there defense is good, but you do know they have not beaten a single team with a winning record right!!

Guess to dump trucked Colgate last year!

I bet you were one that thought that was not a good win for Furman last year, now your on their bandwagon lol

If you think Colgate this year and last year are the same you're crazy.

Have you looked at the teams who are going to be on the bubble? Which 8-3 team are you going to bounce for a team who's crowning achievement is Hurricane Florence?

Bisonwinagn
November 3rd, 2018, 10:01 PM
Can we create like 50 more threads for Furman?? Nobody cares about them!!!

ElCid
November 3rd, 2018, 10:02 PM
Yes there defense is good, but you do know they have not beaten a single team with a winning record right!!

Guess to dump trucked Colgate last year!

I would like to think Furman could have won, but Colgate is much better than last year and Furman isn't quite as good. Games sometimes get away from teams as well. I can think of ours against you last year as compared to this year. I think it would have at least been a competitive game had Colgate made the trip. Colgate just shut out their 5th opponent and held two others to just 3. That is 6 points allowed in 7 games. I don't care who their opponents were, that is great. The one other game they played, their opener, they allowed 17. They allowed 23 points in 8 games....... Think about that. That the game was cancelled sucks for sure, but I would happy with a no contest if I were you.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:07 PM
You better have proof of this. There was absolutely no mention of "Colgate backing out" until about two days ago. Now it's picking up legs imo to play to a certain narrative.

Not true at all, we were talking about it on the Furman board HUGE the day it happened xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:09 PM

Furman is in contention outta nowhere man, life is good lol xthumbsupx

gofurman
November 3rd, 2018, 10:09 PM
. Colgate would have dump trucked Furman. .

maybe. Maybe not. But I have more proof than you it woulda gone Furmans way

The best proof we have - and I am logical and admit it's not great but it's ALL WE HAVE - is prior games including last year. Colgate has NEVER beaten Furman. NEVER. and all wins are by Furman and by 20- 30+ points, usually in New York at Colgate

here are the scores. Most relevant being last year:
2008 Furman wins 42-21 AT Colgate. (A poor Furman team)
2010. Furman wins 45-15 at Furman. (A poor Furman team)
2017. Furman wins 45-14 AT Colgate. (Good Furman team with most of same guys as this year versus SAME Colgate guys !! )

Look, despite proof in my favor I admit no one knows what would have happened. No one. But it leans in Furmans favor. 3-0 and a dismantling of Colgate last year where we heard same junk before the game .. "Colgate is disciplined on D etc etc.". and then I listened to the Colgate announcers in the 2017 game - "Furmans athletes are just too fast for our league, their linebackers are way too quick compared to what we see in this conference , etc". It. Was. Funny. Like watching SEC play PAC in FBS
the narrative of Colgate cancelling is what was always said because Furman tweeted "free tickets to our game for all hurricane evacuees ". Then Colgate said "we are going to give our rooms to hurricane evacuees". Which is very nice

Anyway, I was just asking if a 6-4 Furman team could get in... Colgate is only a part of that. Does a SoCon champ (3 or 4 way tie ) Furman get left at home?

Maybe. Just odd to tie for the League Champion of the 4th/5th best league and not make playoffs

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:14 PM
maybe. Maybe not. But I have more proof than you it woulda gone Furmans way

The best proof we have - and I am logical and admit it's not great but it's ALL WE HAVE - is prior games including last year. Colgate has NEVER beaten Furman. NEVER. and all wins are by Furman and by 20- 30+ points, usually in New York at Colgate

here are the scores. Most relevant being last year:
2008 Furman wins 42-21 AT Colgate. (A poor Furman team)
2010. Furman wins 45-15 at Furman. (A poor Furman team)
2017. Furman wins 45-14 AT Colgate. (Good Furman team with most of same guys as this year versus SAME Colgate guys !! )

Look, despite proof in my favor I admit no one knows what would have happened. No one. But it leans in Furmans favor. 3-0 and a dismantling of Colgate last year where we heard same junk before the game .. "Colgate is disciplined on D etc etc.". and then I listened to the Colgate announcers in the 2017 game - "Furmans athletes are just too fast for our league, their linebackers are way too quick compared to what we see in this conference , etc". It. Was. Funny. Like watching SEC play PAC in FBS
the narrative of Colgate cancelling is what was always said because Furman tweeted "free tickets to our game for all hurricane evacuees ". Then Colgate said "we are going to give our rooms to hurricane evacuees". Which is very nice

Exactly xthumbsupx

katss07
November 3rd, 2018, 10:16 PM
I wrote off Furman last year too quickly. I ate crow then. I feel comfortable now that this time they won’t haunt me.

First, it seems like a lot of Furman people want to talk about the canceled Colgate game. Thats a fine topic of conversation/discussion. That said it has ZERO effect on the playoffs. If you’re talking about a canceled game and adding it to the team’s resume? I don’t think that looks too good.

Wofford has been relegated to a bubble team. Not taking anything away from FU. The ‘Dins played great football. Good game plan and the offense finally stepped up to the plate. But Ls against Samford and ETSU mean trouble. And Elon showed what a perceived seed team would do to Furman, despite the qb situation the Paladins had at the time. You have to make the most of what you’ve got. And Furman is 1-3 against playoff/bubble teams.

No, I don’t think a 6-4 Furman team gets in. Probably wrong though.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:17 PM
I wrote off Furman last year too quickly. I ate crow then. I feel comfortable now that this time they won’t haunt me.

First, it seems like a lot of Furman people want to talk about the canceled Colgate game. Thats a fine topic of conversation/discussion. That said it has ZERO effect on the playoffs. If you’re talking about a canceled game and adding it to the team’s resume? I don’t think that looks too good.

Wofford has been relegated to a bubble team. Not taking anything away from FU. The ‘Dins played great football. Good game plan and the offense finally stepped up to the plate. But Ls against Samford and ETSU mean trouble. And Elon showed what a perceived seed team would do to Furman, despite the qb situation the Paladins had at the time. You have to make the most of what you’ve got. And Furman is 1-3 against playoff/bubble teams.

No, I don’t think a 6-4 Furman team gets in. Probably wrong though.

katss07 right on que xthumbsupx

Furman has shot at SoCon autobid and/or an at-large bid for sure, gonna be a fun finish to the regular season!

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 10:24 PM
Here's the problem with the SoCon:
Every SoCon team's best win is another SoCon team.

Who has the SoCon beat OOC?

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb
Jacksonville
Tennessee Tech
Gardner-Webb

That is the SoCons expansive list of D1 OOC scalps this season.

Isn't it Grand?

That OOC collection is comparable to the OVC's if not worse and NOBODY is campaigning for Eastern Kentucky or Murray State.

katss07
November 3rd, 2018, 10:25 PM
katss07 right on que xthumbsupx

Furman has shot at SoCon autobid and/or an at-large bid for sure, gonna be a fun finish to the regular season!
ole’ katss07 didn’t realize Furman was in play for the SoCon still!

Thats their only way into the playoffs.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:26 PM

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb
Jacksonville
Tennessee Tech
Gardner-Webb

Isn't it Grand?

That OOC collection is comparable to the OVC's if not worse and NOBODY is campaigning for Eastern Kentucky or Murray State.

Are you still bitter about this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 10:28 PM
Are you still bitter about this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOAGA7rTvpo

Truth hurts, dunnit?

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:29 PM
ole’ katss07 didn’t realize Furman was in play for the SoCon still!

Thats their only way into the playoffs.

Fortunaly we have VMI on deck next week, so we will be mostly scoreboad watching, but that actually sounds like my kinda college football Saturday, gotta enjoy it while you can!

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:30 PM
Truth hurts, dunnit?

When are you going to give props for the UTC win that you predicted a Dins loss in, how's that truth looking xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 10:33 PM
When are you going to give props for the UTC win that you predicted a Dins loss in, how's that truth looking xthumbsupx

Good. **** UTC.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:34 PM
Good. **** UTC.

You do know UTC 'DUMP TRUCKED' as you say that UT Martin team JSU barely beat today right lol

SCPALADIN
November 3rd, 2018, 10:34 PM
After watching the committee choose at-large teams for 25 years...I give us about a 10% chance of getting in the payoffs should we end up not getting the auto-bid.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 10:35 PM
You do know UTC 'DUMP TRUCKED' as you say that UT Martin team JSU barely beat today right lol

Yeah and JSU sucks. What's your point?

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:37 PM
Yeah and JSU sucks. What's your point?

Is JSU in your playoff grouping?

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 10:39 PM
Is JSU in your playoff grouping?

They're on the edge bubble because they're named Jacksonville State.

Go ahead and keep deflecting, though. It just proves you can't actually justify Furman getting in.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:42 PM
They're on the edge bubble because they're named Jacksonville State.

Go ahead and keep deflecting, though. It just proves you can't actually justify Furman getting in.

What am I deflecting lol, you left UT Martin off your list, a team that got whooped at home by UTC (who we beat today) , and who JSU barely beat at home today on a miracle pass with 29 seconds left, and you are saying JSU on the bubble but not FU, I don't think so dude

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:46 PM
Besides, you should know by now, its already been proven lol xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 10:48 PM
What am I deflecting lol, you left UT Martin off your list, a team that got whooped at home by UTC (who we beat today) , and who JSU barely beat at home today on a miracle pass with 29 seconds left, and you are saying JSU on the bubble but not FU, I don't think so dude

JSU is a top 15 ranked team (don't ask me how, but we are) who's biggest blunder this season taking their first OVC loss in 5 years. They're not a lock by any means but they're probably in.

Furman is a 6 win team in an equally mediocre conference.

9-2 McNeese got left at home last season. The only 6-5 at large I can think of came from the MVFC.

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2018, 10:50 PM
I do think Furman has a chance at 6-4 especially if Samford beats ETSU to make Furman a SOCON co-champ. How big that chance is depends a lot on what happens elsewhere. A few things Furman would have to hope for to increase those changes:

Hope that South Carolina St or Bethune-Cookman beats FAMU putting NC A&T back in the Celebration Bowl and freeing up the at-large spot they'd likely take.
Hope that Monmouth doesn't upset Kennesaw next week and poach the Big South autobid since Kennesaw (especially if they beat JSU the week after) would likely take an at-large.
Hope for pandemonium in the CAA these last two weeks. It seems like the CAA is going to take at least 4 at large bids maybe 5.
Hope the committee views the mess that is the Southland as a jumble of average to slightly above average teams and not a conference deep with playoff caliber teams.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 10:52 PM
I do think Furman has a chance at 6-4 especially if Samford beats ETSU to make Furman a SOCON co-champ. How big that chance is depends a lot on what happens elsewhere. A few things Furman would have to hope for to increase those changes:

Hope that South Carolina St or Bethune-Cookman beats FAMU putting NC A&T back in the Celebration Bowl and freeing up the at-large spot they'd likely take.
Hope that Monmouth doesn't upset Kennesaw next week and poach the Big South autobid since Kennesaw (especially if they beat JSU the week after) would likely take an at-large.
Hope for pandemonium in the CAA these last two weeks. It seems like the CAA is going to take at least 4 at large bids maybe 5.
Hope the committee views the mess that is the Southland as a jumble of average to slightly above average teams and not a conference deep with playoff caliber teams.

Thanks man, honestly that's all we are asking for down the stretch here is a chance, gonna be fun!

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 11:16 PM

BTW, this sounds like something Yogi Berra would say lol

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 3rd, 2018, 11:46 PM

I'm with you on that.

citdog
November 4th, 2018, 12:03 AM

I mean DAMN if people lie to fit a narrative. You've been doing it to fit your politics for a decade here. Your teams, your leagues, and your politics SUCK. The only things that suck more then furman are le high, temple, the patsy league, and YOU.

LOVE,
Cit

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2018, 12:18 AM
I mean DAMN if people lie to fit a narrative. You've been doing it to fit your politics for a decade here. Your teams, your leagues, and your politics SUCK. The only things that suck more then furman are le high, temple, the patsy league, and YOU.

LOVE,
Cit

You're a grown man who trolls a FCS message board in order to get a rise out of people. The jokes on you.

I have no idea why you keep bringing up politics when referencing me. For the 100th time I don't go on the political board. I think you're honestly too dumb to know the difference between me and LFN. If not no excuse to flat out make something up in you're already pathetic troll attempt.

You have legitimate mental issues.

citdog
November 4th, 2018, 12:40 AM
You're a grown man who trolls a FCS message board in order to get a rise out of people. The jokes on you.

I have no idea why you keep bringing up politics when referencing me. For the 100th time I don't go on the political board. I think you're honestly too dumb to know the difference between me and LFN. If not no excuse to flat out make something up in you're already pathetic troll attempt.

You have legitimate mental issues.

It's "Your".... and like Hillary said the other day "y'all all look alike"...

Twentysix
November 4th, 2018, 03:05 AM
There are going to be like 15 teams trying to get the last 3 at larges with at least 7 wins. Furman is going to need a miracle. Win the socon or 99% chance you are out.
You might get an at large if you are socon cochampion
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

gofurman
November 4th, 2018, 04:03 AM

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb
Jacksonville
Tennessee Tech
Gardner-Webb

Isn't it Grand?

Just getting facts.
UTC also beat UT Martin. Not that that is a huge OOC win at all but just off top of my head that's one we are missing ...there may be others... Just getting facts. Plus a few more to be played

to that I do wish Furman coulda played Colgate

------

anyway, I meant this thread as a question

i am a pretty objective fan. I think I have become more comfortable with that fact we may not make the playoffs even if we win 6 of our last 7 and one loss is to FBS playoff Clemson.

We weren't winning a national title anyway. Would love playoffs? I hope for 2 things - 1). I would LOVE a SoCon Championship ...that needs two things. Furman win out. And Samford beats ETSU in two weeks thus 4 teams are co-champs with a 6-2

and for the Second straight year we finish in top 25 polls
last year playoffs with an at-large bid, this year SoCon Champ? That would be amazing considering Coach Hendrix inherited a 3 win team. From 2016 and did all that in 2017 and 2018. So quickly back to relevance. Not just relevance but the top 25 (STATS, COACHES, AGS) ranking makes it so much easier to stay ranked once you have earned a place there (Though we schedule too hard. Need to schedule more Gardner Webb so we win.. Lol. Apparently that's sadly true in a sense to the committee. If Furman had played and beaten Gardner Webb instead of losing to Elon I bet we would be in more consideration at 7-3. Anyway, hope to finish year in 20-25 range. Would love that.. Then they will drop us immediately when we lose to Virginia Tech n 2019 xeyebrowx

Really a lot to look forward to as a Furman fan. Hadn't been to playoffs but 2006 and 2013 over last 10 years. Twice in ten years. One SoCon title - 2013. Hendrix arrives. 2016 3 win team he inherits wins 8 games in 2017 and goes to playoffs with same players. 2018 team COULD win the SoCon (4 way crazy tie) if we win out

things are looking up for Furman very quickly !

thanks for all of your replies, again, I profess to be pretty objective. I say IF IF IF Furman wins out they have maybe a 15% chance at playoff. That's fine.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 04:37 AM
Didn't read all of the posts, but Furman's "beat reporter" Scott Keeler reported the Colgate information months ago. http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/09/paladins-seek-colgate-replacement.html

Quite a few schools in the Carolinas and Virginia avoided this hassle by moving up their games to days before Saturday. Evidently, that wasn't an option for Colgate which didn't want their players to miss classes.

Also, the same day the game was cancelled, Furman promoted a ticket special for those displaced by the hurricane.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/releases/20180912fhafmk

Did Colgate's president ever publicly state that they were the ones that decided to cancel the game? No. Read the Colgate forum. That was clearly their own fans understanding. It was also apparent Furman was making accommodations to have the game played up until the day it was canceled.

Do you really think Furman's football operations office was busy making ticket arrangments for the game AND canceling it at the same time?

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Didn't read all of the posts, but Furman's "beat reporter" Scott Keeler reported the Colgate information months ago. http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/09/paladins-seek-colgate-replacement.html

Also, the same day the game was cancelled, Furman promoted a ticket special for those displaced by the hurricane.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/releases/20180912fhafmk

Did Colgate's president ever publicly state that they were the ones that decided to cancel the game? No. Read the Colgate forum. That was clearly their own fans understanding. It was also apparent Furman was making accommodations to have the game played up until the day it was canceled.

Do you really think Furman's football operations office was busy making ticket arrangments for the game AND canceling it at the same time?

......YEAH....MAH HOUSE IS IN DUH RIVER........GUESS AH'LL ATTEND....UH WHINE/CHEESE EVENT.....TA MAKE ME FO'GET......xrolleyesx....AWK!

.....'GATE LADS...WOODAH SMACKED YOUSE....IN DUH CHOPS....YOUSE WERE ON UH BIG-TIME LOSIN' STREAK......YER FIRST THREE GAMES ACTUALLAH PLAYED....AN'.....LOOKS LIKE RAIDERS.....WHOM YER CALLIN' CHICKEN........WON ANY-WHO......xhypedx....BRAWK!

....AN'...IFIN' MARTY....CALLS IN UH MARKER......HOPE YA DRAW.....'EM.....................DOODLE-DOO-DOO!!!

KPSUL
November 4th, 2018, 07:02 AM
I am 100% fine with that !

Colgate will get a seed, so it will be a second round game in Hamilton NY on December 1st. I hope it is a night game. Enjoy the weather!

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Colgate will get a seed, so it will be a second round game in Hamilton NY on December 1st. I hope it is a night game. Enjoy the weather!

Be careful what you wish for, but I’d love to see Furman go to Hamilton and put it on Colgate again.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb
Jacksonville
Tennessee Tech
Gardner-Webb

Isn't it Grand?

That OOC collection is comparable to the OVC's if not worse and NOBODY is campaigning for Eastern Kentucky or Murray State.The difference is that the socon has a playoff resume. This year, ETSU will make the playoff, marking the 6th team to do so in the last 4 years.

I think the committee will have that in mind. I give Furman a 30% chance of making the playoffs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 4th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Just getting facts.
UTC also beat UT Martin. Not that that is a huge OOC win at all but just off top of my head that's one we are missing ...there may be others... Just getting facts. Plus a few more to be played

to that I do wish Furman coulda played Colgate

------

anyway, I meant this thread as a question

i am a pretty objective fan. I think I have become more comfortable with that fact we may not make the playoffs even if we win 6 of our last 7 and one loss is to FBS playoff Clemson.

We weren't winning a national title anyway. Would love playoffs? I hope for 2 things - 1). I would LOVE a SoCon Championship ...that needs two things. Furman win out. And Samford beats ETSU in two weeks thus 4 teams are co-champs with a 6-2

and for the Second straight year we finish in top 25 polls
last year playoffs with an at-large bid, this year SoCon Champ? That would be amazing considering Coach Hendrix inherited a 3 win team. From 2016 and did all that in 2017 and 2018. So quickly back to relevance. Not just relevance but the top 25 (STATS, COACHES, AGS) ranking makes it so much easier to stay ranked once you have earned a place there (Though we schedule too hard. Need to schedule more Gardner Webb so we win.. Lol. Apparently that's sadly true in a sense to the committee. If Furman had played and beaten Gardner Webb instead of losing to Elon I bet we would be in more consideration at 7-3. Anyway, hope to finish year in 20-25 range. Would love that.. Then they will drop us immediately when we lose to Virginia Tech n 2019 xeyebrowx

Really a lot to look forward to as a Furman fan. Hadn't been to playoffs but 2006 and 2013 over last 10 years. Twice in ten years. One SoCon title - 2013. Hendrix arrives. 2016 3 win team he inherits wins 8 games in 2017 and goes to playoffs with same players. 2018 team COULD win the SoCon (4 way crazy tie) if we win out

things are looking up for Furman very quickly !

thanks for all of your replies, again, I profess to be pretty objective. I say IF IF IF Furman wins out they have maybe a 15% chance at playoff. That's fine.

Oh Lord. How could I forget about 1-8 UT-Martin! That changes EVERYTHING.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2018, 10:57 AM

Gardner-Webb
Gardner-Webb
Jacksonville
Tennessee Tech
Gardner-Webb

Isn't it Grand?

Two Additional Facts....

1. The SoCon is UNDEFEATED vs the OVC this season

2. No SoCon team lost to a MEAC team this season.

JSUSoutherner
November 4th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Two Additional Facts....

1. The SoCon is UNDEFEATED vs the OVC this season

2. No SoCon team lost to a MEAC team this season.
You guys going to roll over and die for us again next year? :D
Playing you guys last year really hurt our SOS. xcoffeex

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2018, 11:31 AM

If the OVC would actually field decent teams, the SoCon would have some decent OOC wins. It's not our fault your conference sucks. Ha.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2018, 11:35 AM
You guys going to roll over and die for us again next year? :D
Playing you guys last year really hurt our SOS. xcoffeex

I've been praying for a huge storm to hit that weekend, just so your AD has to call us up and see if y'all can move the game to Finley....then I can listen to you complain for another year about owing y'all a home game.....HA

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 08:35 PM
......YEAH....MAH HOUSE IS IN DUH RIVER........GUESS AH'LL ATTEND....UH WHINE/CHEESE EVENT.....TA MAKE ME FO'GET......xrolleyesx....AWK!

.....'GATE LADS...WOODAH SMACKED YOUSE....IN DUH CHOPS....YOUSE WERE ON UH BIG-TIME LOSIN' STREAK......YER FIRST THREE GAMES ACTUALLAH PLAYED....AN'.....LOOKS LIKE RAIDERS.....WHOM YER CALLIN' CHICKEN........WON ANY-WHO......xhypedx....BRAWK!

....AN'...IFIN' MARTY....CALLS IN UH MARKER......HOPE YA DRAW.....'EM.....................DOODLE-DOO-DOO!!!

Do you seriously have 20,000 posts of this nonsense out there dude lol

gofurman
November 4th, 2018, 08:41 PM

I am a very objective / fact driven fan

you are right. Beating UT-Martin doesn't change much

just noting you forgot it and without looking I knew that was missing. That's all. Chill bro

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Not true at all, we were talking about it on the Furman board HUGE the day it happened xthumbsupx

So that makes it fact? Hogwash.

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 08:53 PM
So that makes it fact? Hogwash.

Dude come on, the facts that all Furman fans have known since the day the game was canceled have been laid out in this thread by Palafan, you know your team canceled that game. Meanwhile 30 minutes away from Greenville, Clemson played a game that day lol

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Dude come on, the facts that all Furman fans have known since the day the game was canceled have been laid out in this thread by Palafan, you know your team canceled that game. Meanwhile 30 minutes away from Greenville, Clemson played a game that day lol
You should feel lucky it saved you from the embarrassment

JSUSoutherner
November 4th, 2018, 09:02 PM
I've been praying for a huge storm to hit that weekend, just so your AD has to call us up and see if y'all can move the game to Finley....then I can listen to you complain for another year about owing y'all a home game.....HA

I mean our games in Chattanooga are pretty much psuedo home games considering our fans are the only ones that show up. 💁

Also, I think we've hit our big storm quota for the forseeable future.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2018, 09:03 PM

Go back to the threads from Colgate-Furman game week. There is not ONE legit mention of Colgate bailing on the game. Not one. The only things I found were the typical "you (Colgate) won't lose this time" with the context of the game simply being postponed. Otherwise, the comments regarding the cancellation were a result of Colgate donating their hotel rooms to those who were evacuated from the coastal areas. Colgate actually received national praise from several major media outlets for the gesture. They were also applauded by the folks on here. The first time I heard of Colgate opting out was last week when the seasonal "all teams suck" rants begin as the playoffs near.

I try to be fair and reasonable and don't dive into the gossip or hyperbole as much as possible. With that said the whole timing of these accusations are "interesting" for lack of a better term.

gofurman
November 4th, 2018, 09:16 PM

Thats what they said last year

and Furman won by 30

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 09:18 PM

Not hardly, congrats Colgate on your season, you will finish 2018 without 1 single win against a team with a winning record, book it xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Go back to the threads from Colgate-Furman game week. There is not ONE legit mention of Colgate bailing on the game. Not one. The only things I found were the typical "you (Colgate) won't lose this time" with the context of the game simply being postponed. Otherwise, the comments regarding the cancellation were a result of Colgate donating their hotel rooms to those who were evacuated from the coastal areas. Colgate actually received national praise from several major media outlets for the gesture. They were also applauded by the folks on here. The first time I heard of Colgate opting out was last week when the seasonal "all teams suck" rants begin as the playoffs near.

I try to be fair and reasonable and don't dive into the gossip or hyperbole as much as possible. With that said the whole timing of these accusations are "interesting" for lack of a better term.

Spare me from the pomp and circumstance, we have assistant coaches who are pissed at Colgate from bailing on us, we tried to schedule Stetson for our bye week as they were the only FCS or FBS option and they turned us down, we got screwed. Meanwhile Clemson played a game on a beautiful sunny day at 12noon that day lol
I was shocked when it was announced we have a future series with Colgate again, but whatever

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 09:29 PM
Not hardly, congrats Colgate on your season, you will finish 2018 without 1 single win against a team with a winning record, book it xthumbsupx

You seem bitter that Furman isn't good enough to make the post-season....It's pretty easy - win the games you have scheduled.

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 09:32 PM
You seem bitter that Furman isn't good enough to make the post-season....It's pretty easy - win the games you have scheduled.

What I was bitter about was watching college football games on the tube that day, when I would have rather been at beautiful sunny Paladin Stadium xthumbsupx

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 09:35 PM
What I was bitter about was watching college football games on the tube that day, when I would have rather been at beautiful sunny Paladin Stadium xthumbsupx

Saved you from being bitter about the ass-whoopin and starting the season 0-4 vice just 0-3

uni88
November 4th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Spare me from the pomp and circumstance, we have assistant coaches who are pissed at Colgate from bailing on us, we tried to schedule Stetson for our bye week as they were the only FCS or FBS option and they turned us down, we got screwed. Meanwhile Clemson played a game on a beautiful sunny day at 12noon that day lol
I was shocked when it was announced we have a future series with Colgate again, but whatever

Who did Clemson play? Did they bus or did they have to risk potentially flying through or around a hurricane? You're comparing apples to oranges. Put the bitterness aside, it's unbecoming of a fine institution like Furman.

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 10:01 PM

No, I don't know that at all. Show some class.

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 10:07 PM

Actually, Go Lehigh TU owl nailed it!

The next game in the series will be in 2020 in Hamilton.

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Who did Clemson play? Did they bus or did they have to risk potentially flying through or around a hurricane? You're comparing apples to oranges. Put the bitterness aside, it's unbecoming of a fine institution like Furman.

Clemson played Ga Southern....so bus. I think some of the Furman crowd doth protest a little too much. It was a fluid situation and the speed and direction were in doubt. It was probably the right call given the uncertainty. I said it before, it would not have been a repeat of last year. Furman may have still won, who knows, but comparing the scores from this year to last for both teams says otherwise and certainly not by much if they did. Colgate has been dominating, albeit against weak teams. But they are on a dominating tear. I actually fear they may not do too well in the playoffs given their lack of quality opponents, but I would not bet against them for sure. We will know when we see how they do against Army, who is doing pretty well this year.

Thumper 76
November 4th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Jesus, Furman fans sure are wound up. You weren’t the only team to have a game cancelled this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Jesus, Furman fans sure are wound up. You weren’t the only team to have a game cancelled this year.

Yeah we were pretty pissed. I really think getting our game reschedule post season threw us out of kilter. Once we lost our regularly scheduled CSU game, we were pretty much screwed. Glad we didn't totally check out, but it had an affect. Oh well.

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 10:42 PM
No, I don't know that at all. Show some class.

Of course you do xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Actually, Go Lehigh TU owl nailed it!

The next game in the series will be in 2020 in Hamilton.

Sorry to tell you, the next game is in 2021 and its in Greenville xthumbsupx

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/furman/

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Sorry to tell you, the next game is in 2021 and its in Greenville xthumbsupx

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/furman/

Fine with me.

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Of course you do xthumbsupx

No, I don't. What the hell is your problem?

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 11:20 PM
No, I don't. What the hell is your problem?

xnodx

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Grow up, FUGameBreaker.

JSUSoutherner
November 4th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Grow up, FUGameBreaker.
He's just salty his team will miss the opportunity to booty blasted in the post season.

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Grow up, FUGameBreaker.

Ill make a deal how about you man up and admit what you know to be true and then ill grow up

Gater
November 4th, 2018, 11:53 PM
Colgate has four home games this year. They will have four home games next year. They had four home games two years ago (and five last year). Colgate does everything it can to play a tough schedule--even if that means agreeing to playing one home game for every two away games in a series. Colgate is small school in a poor part of rural New York state. It's hard to get to, often cold, and not where you're going to find a lot of recruits if you're a visiting team. I can understand Furman posters not knowing much about Colgate football, but Colgate ducking games against quality opponents like Furman isn't in its DNA.

As for the game in question, the forecast didn't match the storm's actual path and the game could have been played. Colgate offered to host the game (Furman declined). Furman offered to move the game to a different day (Colgate declined). Best of luck to you guys the rest of the way.

FUGameBreaker
November 4th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Colgate has four home games this year. They will have four home games next year. They had four home games two years ago (and five last year). Colgate does everything it can to play a tough schedule--even if that means agreeing to playing one home game for every two away games in a series. Colgate is small school in a poor part of rural New York state. It's hard to get to, often cold, and not where you're going to find a lot of recruits if you're a visiting team. I can understand Furman posters not knowing much about Colgate football, but Colgate ducking games against quality opponents like Furman isn't in its DNA.

As for the game in question, the forecast didn't match the storm's actual path and the game could have been played. Colgate offered to host the game (Furman declined). Furman offered to move the game to a different day (Colgate declined). Best of luck to you guys the rest of the way.

Colgate offering to host the game that they owed us is not a real offer, its a joke, so basically it all boils down to Colgate declining to come to Greenville for the game, just like I have been saying of course lol

Gater
November 5th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Colgate offering to host the game that they owed us is not a real offer, its a joke, so basically it all boils down to Colgate declining to come to Greenville for the game, just like I have been saying of course lol

I feel like my time posting this was well spent.

cx500d
November 5th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Got a grip bro...maybe they did you a favor, because their weak SoS would have dragged you way down.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 12:31 AM
I feel like my time posting this was well spent.

It was. I don't believe that Mr. Game Breaker is representative of Furman.

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Got a grip bro...maybe they did you a favor, because their weak SoS would have dragged you way down.

I think getting shut out and beat by 30 would have hurt Furman more than the scheduling itself.

gofurman
November 5th, 2018, 04:02 AM
. You seem bitter that Furman isn't good enough to make the post-season....It's pretty easy - win the games you have scheduled.

CX, That's a little odd to say as We didn't GET TO PLAY the teams we had scheduled.

I would have no argument if we had been able to play all 11 games. None. We would either be in or not

Generally I would agree with what you say. . I am pretty level-headed about most things. think if your son was a Senior on a team and when you start the season you think alright we need 7 wins to make postseason ...

Then a game is just dropped so instead of 7 of 11 you (maybe) are forced to win 7 of 10. Let's say you get 6 of the 10. It's kinda hard not to tell your son "yeah, we shoulda won one more but we ALSO SHOULDA HAD ONE MORE GAME"

I mean good coaches put GOALS on the board.

Win national title
Win conference
Get to playoffs (win 7 of our 11 games)
Winning Season
Win today

That was always the plan. Sure you want to win them all. Of course, I see a lot of teams not scheduling Clemson etc.

i presented this very point to a friend of mine whose son is a D1 player (not a senior and not at Furmam ) and he had been wavering... He said "I'll admit that sucks especially for the Senior guys. The more I think about it the more I have to give you that one". His son then chimed in and said it sucks for everyone too in that you also - after all the practices and weights etc - just want to line up and get to play at least ELEVEN games. At least

many on this very AGS board - at the time of the hurricane - said I bet this is gonna be a sticky point for a few teams come selection time. And it is

it just stinks. Maybe Colgate woulda killed us. It doesn't Matter - we will never know the outcome .. I just wish we coulda PLAYED

gofurman
November 5th, 2018, 04:04 AM

Every team has fans that are, uh, not representative.

See my my post above. I think it's logical and reasonable.

I just wish we coulda played Colgate. As I do with every game

PaladinFan
November 5th, 2018, 04:12 AM
This thread needs to die. Furman will either win out and make the post season or they won’t.

gofurman
November 5th, 2018, 04:15 AM
I’m not bitter about the cancelled game. It is what it is. I think some of the complexity is the distance between the two schools. If Colgate isn’t in New York, maybe it would have been easier to get the game in.

I still sort of reject the notion that Furman would have lost by 30. Colgate’s a good team, but so is Furman. Having seen these teams play 3 times recently I see nothing to suggest Colgate would blow out Furman.

The frustration is more that it was a canceled (not rescheduled) home opener. They were going to honor the 30th anniversary of the 1988 national title team that day. Furman had played 6 consecutive games on the road dating back to 2017. I think with another game under their belt they wouldn’t have struggled to put away ETSU the next weekend on the road.

This kind of stuff happens, though. Ideally, we could have found another team to come play in Paladin Stadium that week. It didn’t work out.

THIS. I heard a coach Directly say this. Maybe Colgate beats us.

WHAT IS BEING MISSED IN THIS DISCUSSION IS EVEN IF COLGATE BEATS FURMAN (which they never have come close to doing) WE WOULD HAVE HAD MORE GAME REPS AND MAYBE HELD ON TO BEAT ETSU THE FOLLOWING WEEK. !!!!!!!

that is a definite POSSIBILITY. Game reps matter. And if we had not lost our 27-6 lead over ETSU we would be 2 wins from a SoCon outright championship. Again, WE WILL NEVER KNOW - I did find it interesting a coach said this as we are very young he felt we improved tremendously in each of the first LIVE games and that w Colgate reps maybe we beat ETSU as all we needed was another first down or two to beat ETSU. That's all we needed to win.

------
IE, "MAYBE" WE WOULD HAVE LOST TO COLGATE AND IT ACTUALLY WOULD HAVE HELPED FURMAN Make the PLAYOFFS because we would have won an additional SoCon game. !!

I am Shocked few people have thought of it that way. You guys are smart. Instead of looking at it from a 7-4 overall record view. Look at it ALSO from a SoCon autobid standpoint !!!
-----

I notice people in here saying Colgate probably beats Furman - lets go with that assumption. Maybe that helps us prep for the next weeks game where we lost by 2 points and lead the entire game until the last few minutes.

Who can say a live OOC game vs Colgate wouldn't have helped us find a few weaknesses and work out a few kinks the week BEFORE ETSU ? We can't say this wouldn't have happened. It MIGHT have. wouldn't have hurt ...
1) We either beat Colgate and things things to work on. OR....
2) they beat us and they help us learn some weaknesses to work on before we play ETSU

Many of your teams have great coaches. Well, Great /Good coaches are able take live film from prior games and help their teams find a few things to get better at before the next game. Better blocking technique etc.

Again, I am objective. MAYBE we would have 7 guys get injured vs Colgate and our whole season ruined. Maybe that woulda happened. Just wish we coulda played as we were supposed to

As someone said - lets beat the teams ON OUR SCHEDULE.
WELL, WE NEVER GOT A CHANCE

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2018, 06:49 AM
This thread is getting embarrassing to Furman. Yikes. It’s like combining chattown with conspiracy theories. Good. Ness.

semobison
November 5th, 2018, 08:18 AM
This thread is getting embarrassing to Furman. Yikes. It’s like combining chattown with conspiracy theories. Good. Ness.

Two embarrassing threads in two weeks. FU is the new village idiot. Following the footsteps of Chattown, The Fan, Lakes...etc...

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Two embarrassing threads in two weeks. FU is the new village idiot. Following the footsteps of Chattown, The Fan, Lakes...etc...This stuff is common in the socon threads. Whenever Furman loses it's because they're injured or young (which to some extent has a little bit of truth)

But whenever they win they were clearly the better team, no excused

They're very critical of any team that may be better than them while turning a blind eye to their own flaws

Socon fans have been dealing with this all season, we're just the only ones who have seen it as it hasn't migrated to other threads.

Had Wofford dropped the two games we dropped early, I would be saying what I'm saying now: that we are a bubble team, that we have flaws, and are no better than a quarterfinalist. I was confident in my team because we had played respectable in all but one trap game, but having seen it happen twice, I harbor no illusions. We will probably make the playoffs, but that's as far as we will go.

But ever since the week of the Wofford/Furman game we've been expected to give Furman a participation trophy for not showing up to Elon and having the Colgate game cancelled.

I think Furman is a good team but the badgering style of their fans is a bit much for me.

semobison
November 5th, 2018, 08:49 AM
This stuff is common in the socon threads. Whenever Furman loses it's because they're injured or young (which to some extent has a little bit of truth)

But whenever they win they were clearly the better team, no excused

They're very critical of any team that may be better than them while turning a blind eye to their own flaws

Socon fans have been dealing with this all season, we're just the only ones who have seen it as it hasn't migrated to other threads.

Had Wofford dropped the two games we dropped early, I would be saying what I'm saying now: that we are a bubble team, that we have flaws, and are no better than a quarterfinalist. I was confident in my team because we had played respectable in all but one trap game, but having seen it happen twice, I harbor no illusions. We will probably make the playoffs, but that's as far as we will go.

But ever since the week of the Wofford/Furman game we've been expected to give Furman a participation trophy for not showing up to Elon and having the Colgate game cancelled.

I think Furman is a good team but the badgering style of their fans is a bit much for me.

I have a lot of Respect for SoCon teams and their fans. When Wofford and Furman have come to Fargo in the playoffs their fans were knowledgeable, respectful and their teams competitive. I'm not going to let one nutjob on this board change my opinion!

Sir William
November 5th, 2018, 08:52 AM

2-3 fans. Keep it real - I don't encapsulate all of Wofford football or its fans by you.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 09:05 AM
2-3 fans. Keep it real - I don't encapsulate all of Wofford football or its fans by you.I wouldn't be offended if you did ;)

walliver
November 5th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Even IF FU had played Colgate and won, and to be honest, FU wasn't playing well at the time, a 7-4 record probably puts the Paladins on the wrong side of the bubble. Getting stomped by Clemson (the Second Best Football team Money Can Buy) counts for nothing. Losing badly to Elon doesn't impress. The fact is, at 7-4 a team outside the MVFC will have a difficult time getting in. At 7-4 with wins over Wofford and Colgate, FU would be on the bubble at best. Without a Colgate win, FU's resume is quite thin. It is easy to compare FU to other SoCon teams, but the real deciding factor is what happens in the rest of the country and an awful lot of things have to happen to put Furman in consideration.

In fact, I can envision a scenario where the SoCon only gets one team in (ETSU beats Samford, WCU beats Wofford, Monmouth beats Kennesaw, the MEAC gets an at-large).

FU needs to win the autobid to get in. On the other hand, every year, the committee seems to do something unthinkable.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 10:37 AM

Even after your own fellow Colgate fan tells you Colgate backed out of coming to Greenville all you do is write some moaning response like this, lol

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 10:55 AM
2-3 fans. Keep it real - I don't encapsulate all of Wofford football or its fans by you.

If you would have read through the 2 threads in question you would realize that for some strange reason all the sh** talking has come from about 3 NDSU fans, 1 JSU fan and a few other random FCS schools fans

No Furman fan needs to apologize for starting a thread wanting to talk about their team, hell if we did not then nobody would be talking about Furman at all period, we had 4,000 freaking people show up to the game this past Saturday, Furman football needs some life to it from its fan base in every aspect

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 11:02 AM
If you would have read through the 2 threads in question you would realize that for some strange reason all the sh** talking has come from about 3 NDSU fans, 1 JSU fan and a few other random FCS schools fans

No Furman fan needs to apologize for starting a thread wanting to talk about their team, hell if we did not then nobody would be talking about Furman at all period, we had 4,000 freaking people show up to the game this past Saturday, Furman football needs some life to it from its fan base in every aspect

Which team's fan is pushing wild ass Conspiracy theories?

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Which team's fan is pushing wild ass Conspiracy theories?

theories??
Certainly not FU's

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 11:09 AM
theories??
Certainly not FU's

Provide one shred of evidence that Colgate cancelled on Furman.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Provide one shred of evidence that Colgate cancelled on Furman.

Wow lol

Dude, if nothing else take the Colgate guys word for it that they cancelled on page 9 of this thread xthumbsupx

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Wow lol

Dude, if nothing else take the Colgate guys word for it that they cancelled on page 9 of this thread xthumbsupx
His post says that Furman declined playing at Colgate and Colgate declined playing a different weekend. Way to cherry pick though.

The article on Furman's website says Furman was to find an opponent for 10/6. If that was the date offered to Colgate then of course they declined. They had a conference game against Bucknell that day. What's Furman's excuse?

Also if Colgate is the big bad wolf that "wussied out" on Furman then why did Furman also cancel their Cross Country meet that had exactly Jack **** to do with Colgate?

It don't add up, chief.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2018, 11:45 AM
His post says that Furman declined playing at Colgate and Colgate declined playing a different weekend. Way to cherry pick though.

The article on Furman's website says Furman was to find an opponent for 10/6. If that was the date offered to Colgate then of course they declined. They had a conference game against Bucknell that day. What's Furman's excuse?

Also if Colgate is the big bad wolf that "wussied out" on Furman then why did Furman also cancel their Cross Country meet that had exactly Jack **** to do with Colgate?

It don't add up, chief.

....OUCH FURPLES.......GREAT GUM SHOEIN'.......JAX.........AWK!

.........BUT DEY'RE WAS FREE FOOTBALL TIX......IFIN' YA'S HAD NO WHERE TA LIVE...........BRAWKHAHAHA!!!

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 11:51 AM

It don't add up, chief.

Dude talk about skirting the truth

Here is the truth also confirmed by the Colgate fan, Colgate would not travel down to play at Furman in a game owed to Furman, they did not even want play the game that friday, sunday or monday all of which were offered to them, the weather that Saturday turned out to be great. They evaded Furman because they could get away with it, plain an simple
Colgate offering to host the game is an absolute joke response so spare me the idiocy

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Dude talk about skirting the truth

Here is the truth also confirmed by the Colgate fan, Colgate would not travel down to play at Furman in a game owed to Furman, they did not even want play the game that friday, sunday or monday all of which were offered to them, the weather that Saturday turned out to be great. They evaded Furman because they could get away with it, plain an simple
Colgate offering to host the game is an absolute joke response so spare me the idiocy

They cancelled the game Wednesday. Everyone who was going to leave the coast was already on their way.

Let's assume Colgate wanted to play Friday. Where do you suggest they get hotel rooms for Thursday night?

Spoiler alert: they couldn't.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 12:03 PM
They cancelled the game Wednesday. Everyone who was going to leave the coast was already on their way.

Let's assume Colgate wanted to play Friday. Where do you suggest they get hotel rooms for Thursday night?

Spoiler alert: they couldn't.

The game could have been played Friday, Saturday, Sunday (the weather was fine all 3 days), the whole point of this little conversation is to say Colgate is the one that backed out of the game in Greenville, there is no denying that at all, the sooner you are willing to admit that VERY simple truth the better

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 12:05 PM
The game could have been played Friday, Saturday, Sunday (the weather was fine all 3 days), the whole point of this little conversation is to say Colgate is the one that backed out of the game in Greenville, there is no denying that at all, the sooner you are willing to admit that VERY simple truth the better

It's official. You're World's replacement.

Congrats.

Kramden
November 5th, 2018, 12:16 PM
I know I won't sleep until Furman is ranked higher than Colgate.............

MSUBobcat
November 5th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Congrats.

That's seems a bit extreme. Well on his way? Perhaps..... Not quite there, in my book.

uni88
November 5th, 2018, 12:19 PM
I miss OL FU and Death Dealer.

Catbooster
November 5th, 2018, 12:24 PM
xnodx

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Congrats.

Ill take that as your final concession xthumbsupx

Bisonator
November 5th, 2018, 12:30 PM
F U!

All of you!xlolx

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 12:31 PM
That's seems a bit extreme. Well on his way? Perhaps..... Not quite there, in my book.

He's at least Chattown status. World also wasn't a total conspiracy theorist.

MSUBobcat
November 5th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Hindsight may tell us that the weather was fine on Saturday, but at the time of the game being canceled, it seemed like the right thing to do. Offering to move the game up to Friday on very short notice is about as honest an offer as Colgate offering to host the game. Not gonna happen. Trying to work out logistics to have the game on Sunday with everyone fleeing the coastal areas also was never a sincere offer. Besides, based on the results from the other 3 games FU played to start the year, the only thing that likely would change is that the title of this thread would be "Not a serious question - can Furman possibly make the playoffs at 6-5".

Also, for someone accusing another person of skirting the truth, I notice that you did not answer the question of why Furman canceled the CC meet for the same day..... xcoffeex

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Hindsight may tell us that the weather was fine on Saturday, but at the time of the game being canceled, it seemed like the right thing to do. Offering to move the game up to Friday on very short notice is about as honest an offer as Colgate offering to host the game. Not gonna happen. Trying to work out logistics to have the game on Sunday with everyone fleeing the coastal areas also was never a sincere offer. Besides, based on the results from the other 3 games FU played to start the year, the only thing that likely would change is that the title of this thread would be "Not a serious question - can Furman possibly make the playoffs at 6-5".

Also, for someone accusing another person of skirting the truth, I notice that you did not answer the question of why Furman canceled the CC meet for the same day..... xcoffeex

It doesn't fit his narrative, obviously.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 12:38 PM
It doesn't fit his narrative, obviously.

There is no narrative mate, only the fact that Colgate cancelled the game

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 12:42 PM

See, Bobcat. He doesn't even acknowledge it.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 12:47 PM
See, Bobcat. He doesn't even acknowledge it.

What exactly are you seeing that does not show you that Colgate was unwilling to come down to Greenville to play the game? You don't want to even believe the Colgate fan that posted saying Colgate was unwilling to come down to Greenville to play the game?

Its simple man, there was one team that was unwilling to play the game in Greenville that weekend and it was Colgate

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 12:48 PM
I realize you do not want to admit that simple fact, because you do not want to lose the debate, but you admitting it or not does not make it any less true xthumbsupx

Bisonator
November 5th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Win one of those other games you lossed and you wouldn't have to worry about the Colgate game.xcoffeex

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Win one of those other games you lossed and you wouldn't have to worry about the Colgate game.xcoffeex
You think he's bad now. Wait until they get left out and Colgate makes the quarterfinals. We will get 8 glorious months of listening to FUGameBreaker here telling us all about how Furman would have skulldragged NDSU in Fargo.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 12:57 PM

Congrats.

That or MPLS Bison....

MSUBobcat
November 5th, 2018, 12:57 PM
What exactly are you seeing that does not show you that Colgate was unwilling to come down to Greenville to play the game? You don't want to even believe the Colgate fan that posted saying Colgate was unwilling to come down to Greenville to play the game?

Its simple man, there was one team that was unwilling to play the game in Greenville that weekend and it was Colgate

So your argument is that Colgate was unwilling to risk the well-being of the football players and staff to play in a trivial sporting event? I would say kudos to Colgate for realizing what is truly important. Which clearly was.... making FU finish 6-4 and watching the post season from the couch. Jebus, man. It's so insane I could hardly even post that.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 12:58 PM

Simply not true. And you distorted the words of another Colgate poster.

Bisonator
November 5th, 2018, 12:59 PM
You think he's bad now. Wait until they get left out and Colgate makes the quarterfinals. We will get 8 glorious months of listening to FUGameBreaker here telling us all about how Furman would have skulldragged NDSU in Fargo.
His boys can hit the weight room with the other fawkers!:D

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 01:01 PM

Both teams cancelled the game.

uni88
November 5th, 2018, 01:01 PM
There is no narrative mate, only the fact that Colgate cancelled the game with good reason.

FYP

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Let's all get on the same page here then and end this - Furman was unwilling to play @ Colgate and Colgate was unwilling to play @ Furman xthumbsupx

MSUBobcat
November 5th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Let's all get on the same page here then and end this - Furman was unwilling to play @ Colgate and Colgate was unwilling to play @ Furman xthumbsupx

Everyone is on the same page here but you. Colgate (and possibly Furman, given the fact that they canceled a CC meet that they were hosting on the very same day) was unwilling to put people at risk by playing a GAME in a potential hurricane, likely saving Furman from a boot in the a$$.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Everyone is on the same page here but you. Colgate (and possibly Furman, given the fact that they canceled a CC meet that they were hosting on the very same day) was unwilling to put people at risk by playing a GAME in a potential hurricane, likely saving Furman from a boot in the a$$.

Holy Freak dude are you being serious right now, you can't even agree on the most simple thing lol

FUBeAR
November 5th, 2018, 01:34 PM
FWIW - I am a Furman Alum & Fan...and I think MSUBobcat is 100% correct. It doesn’t matter where the hurricane went or not. It doesn’t matter if Colgate may have benefited from canceling the game. It doesn’t matter if Furman was, potentially, harmed from Colgate canceling the game. It doesn’t matter who canceled the game.

If Colgate’s Adminstrators felt the risk of traveling to the game, for any of their Players, Coaches, or Staff, was elevated to an unacceptable level, then they were obligated NOT to make the trip.

Everything else being discussed and debated here is silly. Colgate cancelled the originally scheduled game for a perfectly justifiable reason; their opinion of the risk associated with the travel & their obligation not to place ‘their people’ into a situation where they deemed that risk unacceptable. The 2 Teams were not willing to accept the alternatives that were offered & considered; most likely for perfectly justifiable reasons for each.

Both sides should just ‘move on,’ IMO.

EDIT: And now I see that MSUBobcat had to join the ‘silly train’ by speculating on the outcome of the canceled game, so I DON’T agree 100% with that aspect. Both sides can claim, with good reason, how that game woulda turned out. The expected outcome is immaterial to the decision not to play the game.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 01:39 PM
FWIW - I am a Furman Alum & Fan...and I think MSUBobcat is 100% correct. It doesn’t matter where the hurricane went or not. It doesn’t matter if Colgate may have benefited from canceling the game. It doesn’t matter is Furman was, potentially, harmed from Colgate canceling the game. It doesn’t matter who canceled the game.

If Colgate’s Adminstrators felt the risk of traveling to the game, for any of their Players, Coaches, or Staff, was elevated to an unacceptable level, then they were obligated NOT to make the trip.

Everything else being discussed and debated here is silly. Colgate cancelled the originally scheduled game for a perfectly justifiable reason; their opinion of the risk associated with the travel & their obligation not to place ‘their people’ into a situation where they deemed that risk unacceptable. The 2 Teams were not willing to accept the alternatives that were offered & considered; most likely for perfectly justifiable reasons for each.

Both sides should just ‘move on,’ IMO.

EDIT: And now I see that MSUBobcat had to join the ‘silly train’ by speculating on the outcome of the canceled game, so I DON’T agree 100% with that aspect. Both sides can claim, with good reason, how that game woulda turned out. The expected outcome is immaterial to the decision not to play the game.

xthumbsupx

IBleedYellow
November 5th, 2018, 01:56 PM
xflaggedx

Damn people. Less being at each others throats and more of xbeerchugx please.

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2018, 03:08 PM

So do I. OL FU still lurks on occasion but Death Dealer has been MIA for like a decade.

He probably joined a dentist cult or something. Probably a much more healthy outlet than Furman football in that time.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 04:00 PM
FWIW, I hope Furman is in the play-off field. You guys are always strong and play a tough schedule, and this year has been no different. It would have been a great yardstick for Colgate to measure its team.

FUGameBreaker
November 5th, 2018, 04:08 PM
FWIW, I hope Furman is in the play-off field. You guys are always strong and play a tough schedule, and this year has been no different. It would have been a great yardstick for Colgate to measure its team.

Bygones be bygones

Good luck in the playoffs
Cheers!

FUGameBreaker
November 6th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Furman continues surge to SoCon title this Saturday

https://twitter.com/FurmanPaladins/status/1059921488332111872

SU FAN
November 7th, 2018, 03:17 AM
Furman continues surge to SoCon title this Saturday

https://twitter.com/FurmanPaladins/status/1059921488332111872

VMI will be at home after just snapping their losing skid and has already been in 4 other ball games at around 5 points or less, will be interesting to see how this one shakes out

PaladinFan
November 7th, 2018, 06:47 AM
I think VMI deserves respect, especially playing at home.

If Furman doesn't screw around with turnovers, keeps the ball on the ground, shortens the game, and plays bully ball, I think we'll be alright. The Paladins struggled in pass defense early in the season, but seems to have righted that ship.

I think you will see Furman execute a similar game plan to that deployed against Chattanooga. They'll rush three a lot of times and force VMI to run the ball, which isn't their strong suit.

UTC had a lot of trouble slowing down Furman's edge rushers, even when just bringing three. I expect Furman will force VMI to figure out a way to account for Adrian Hope and the aggressive and athletic Furman defensive front.

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Yes loved that defensive look against UTC we used, I am also expecting to see that this weekend

FU seems pretty healthy at this juncture as well, so no excuses come Saturday

FUBeAR
November 7th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Yes loved that defensive look against UTC we used, I am also expecting to see that this weekend

FU seems pretty healthy at this juncture as well, so no excuses come SaturdayI call it the “Amoeba D”

1st saw it used in 2010, in the season-opening Corky Kell Classic in the Georgia Dome by North Gwinnett against Chip Lindsay’s (now OC @ Auburn) spread Offense at Lassiter HS, that was in the process of rewriting all of the GHSA passing records, with future UGa QB, Hutson Mason, pulling the trigger. NG shut ‘em down & held their high-flying O to 2 TD’s, winning 34-14.

Amoeba works!

FUGameBreaker
November 7th, 2018, 11:15 AM
I call it the “Amoeba D”

1st saw it used in 2010, in the season-opening Corky Kell Classic in the Georgia Dome by North Gwinnett against Chip Lindsay’s (now OC @ Auburn) spread Offense at Lassiter HS, that was in the process of rewriting all of the GHSA passing records, with future UGa QB, Hutson Mason, pulling the trigger. NG shut ‘em down & held their high-flying O to 2 TD’s, winning 34-14.

Amoeba works!

Great nickname for it!

I think I remember Byrnes HS running something sort of like it years ago, not sure if they still do or not

gofurman
November 7th, 2018, 10:26 PM
VMI will be at home after just snapping their losing skid and has already been in 4 other ball games at around 5 points or less, will be interesting to see how this one shakes out

SUFAN, I see you and agree ! Anyone who looks at the scores AT VMI will see how close they have been. And now they believe they can win...

A few scores
Mercer 48. VMI 38
Citadel 34. VMI. 32
ETSU. 27. VMI. 24

they guys are so close. They played as close with ETSU as anyone has (other than Woff who beat ETSU)

I am actually surprised they have been as competitive. They were bad last yr and several players left. But credit to the coaches there. They don't give up apparently.

It it appears from Samford and Wofford vs vmi that the real weakness at VMI. is defense. Furman needs to not turnover and keep the ball on long drives. I would expect that have them worn out by fourth quarter

i am pulling for Samford to beat ETSU !!!!!!!!!

wcugrad95
November 8th, 2018, 11:58 AM
I guess WCU played the Bucs closer than VMI since the game went to OT, but the point is valid. I also think the Keydets pulled a "Catamount special" in their game against Mercer and got inside the 10 on 2 different occasions and came away with 0 points. I think that was the game - I know it happened against somebody in that stretch of the season (KDINVA can correct me o the opponent if I am wrong).

kdinva
November 8th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I guess WCU played the Bucs closer than VMI since the game went to OT, but the point is valid. I also think the Keydets pulled a "Catamount special" in their game against Mercer and got inside the 10 on 2 different occasions and came away with 0 points. I think that was the game - I know it happened against somebody in that stretch of the season (KDINVA can correct me o the opponent if I am wrong).

VMI @ WCU: WCU scored more points, VMI failed 3 times in regulation going for it on 4th down.....failed twice going for two......and threw a pick-6.
VMI v. ETSU: VMI in 4th period alone got within ETSU's 30 three times.....got zero points.
VMI v Mercer: was 3-7 in 4th down conversions (two of those failures inside the Mercer 6 yard line)....VMI punter dropped the snap, gave mercer ball at VMI 17....Bears got TD there.....VMI QB got sacked, lost fumble inside VMI 20......Bears another gift TD....
VMI vs. ElCid: twice failed going for two (VMI is 2-7 in 2 point conv. attempts, and VMI kickers have missed FIVE PAT Kicks), including one that would have tied the game late (just like WCU game), Cid blocked a VMI punt, converted into TD......VMI botched a fake FG attempt, went for it on 4th down from their own 32, failed, Citadel converted that into TD.

also some blunders @ UTC.........VMI could easily be 4-3 in Conf...

FUGameBreaker
November 8th, 2018, 01:55 PM
VMI @ WCU: WCU scored more points, VMI failed 3 times in regulation going for it on 4th down.....failed twice going for two......and threw a pick-6.
VMI v. ETSU: VMI in 4th period alone got within ETSU's 30 three times.....got zero points.
VMI v Mercer: was 3-7 in 4th down conversions (two of those failures inside the Mercer 6 yard line)....VMI punter dropped the snap, gave mercer ball at VMI 17....Bears got TD there.....VMI QB got sacked, lost fumble inside VMI 20......Bears another gift TD....
VMI vs. ElCid: twice failed going for two (VMI is 2-7 in 2 point conv. attempts, and VMI kickers have missed FIVE PAT Kicks), including one that would have tied the game late (just like WCU game), Cid blocked a VMI punt, converted into TD......VMI botched a fake FG attempt, went for it on 4th down from their own 32, failed, Citadel converted that into TD.

also some blunders @ UTC.........VMI could easily be 4-3 in Conf...

Then I guess the 'Dins better come in ready for a fight in Lexington

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I have to hand it to some Furman fans, they're still very enthusiastic even though their playoff hopes are but squashed.

Meanwhile, now that Wofford lost to Samford, I've mellowed. I know we aren't going to get farther than the game against the seed or the quarterfinals (at best), so now I'm more interested in national FCS developments. I could not follow Wofford more than passively if we had 3 or more losses for most of the season.

FUGameBreaker
November 8th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I have to hand it to some Furman fans, they're still very enthusiastic even though their playoff hopes are but squashed.

Meanwhile, now that Wofford lost to Samford, I've mellowed. I know we aren't going to get farther than the game against the seed or the quarterfinals (at best), so now I'm more interested in national FCS developments. I could not follow Wofford more than passively if we had 3 or more losses for most of the season.

I know it makes you feel better to keep repeating asinine things like Furman's playoff hopes being squashed, but the truth is the 'Dins are very much alive still. Carry on xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2018, 05:26 PM
It's not asinine. Furman probably has a 20% chance (tops) of making the playoffs.

My comment is accurate.

gofurman
November 8th, 2018, 07:59 PM
It's not asinine. Furman probably has a 20% chance (tops) of making the playoffs.

My comment is accurate.

YT is not asinine. Though I do think there is a difference in 'squashed' and 10-20%

cx500d
November 8th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Any way, the answer to the thread question is:

**** NO

gofurman
November 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM
. I have to hand it to some Furman fans, they're still very enthusiastic even though their playoff hopes are but squashed.

“ I have to hand it to some Furman fans, they're still very enthusiastic even though their playoff hopes are but squashed. “

Yep. YT I think from discussions the thing is we see Hendrix as maybe we finally got the guy.

Lamb and Fowler just didn’t seem to get DL and OL - where the game is won ! Both Good guys - good men. Classy guys. But not head coaches in my opinion - NO OFFENSE TO MERCER.. maybe Lamb works out as a playoff coach there. HOPE HE DOES. Good for the conference if Mercer makes playoffs

MY POINT is Hendrix took a THREE win 2016 Fowler team ... and immediately won EIGHT GAMES the next year (and Playoffs) ! Then this year after another 0-3 start you can see the game to game improvement where if we win out (no guarantee !) and Samford was to beat ETSU we are SoCon champs !! (Yes, co champs ... but Rings for the players and ‘2018’ goes up on the fieldhouse as a championship year !). That is possible in his first two years with inherited players

***this is the KEY. Hendrix is an OL guru. It takes YEARS to get both his training AND HIS RECRUITS in the OL. the training can happen within one or two years. But to get his Guys on the OL takes 3 to 4 years. Right now ONE of his OL recruits began starting as a true soph at center - Neely - and another redshirt Freshman is working some at guard. Otherwise our 10 OL are from Fowler. Some are good. No disrespect to them AT ALL. But they are different from Hendrix type OL - he appears to want lighter quicker OL.

So given 3 or 4 years - hoping we still have Hendrix - I am excited to see our OL !!! Though even next year could be better OL play as same 10 guys all return.. even if only 2 are Hendrix guys - another year or two of weights and his training could make us dangerous ... then about 2020/2021 it’s all Hendrix guys AND his training. I am excited - considering what he had done with guys recruited for a different system

FUBeAR
November 8th, 2018, 09:09 PM

My comment is accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkLet's see what Mr. Massey has to say...(assuming FUBeAR can do the math...)

Mr. Massey, in his most likely scenario, says there is a 25.37% chance that the SoCon ends in a 4 way tie between FU, Woffy, Sammy, and ETSU.

In this scenario, Sammy has beaten the other 3 and wins the Autobid.

So...let's take Sammy out of the mix by having them lose to El Cid. But we need Woffy to stay in the mix. so they still have to beat WCU AND we need Sammy to beat ETSU...so....there's an 8.01% chance of ALL of those things happening...and this yields a 3-way tie with the tie-breaker going to SoCon points surrendered.

Mr. Massey says Woffy gets the Autobid there with 180, Furman at 197, and ETSU at 207.

At present, Furman has given up 146 SoCon points with 2 games to play, Woffy 152 with 1 game to play, and ETSU 179 with 1 game to play.

So...IF Furman can give up as many as only 5 more points AND as many as only 22 more points vs. VMI AND Mercer than Woffy AND ETSU do in their games vs. WCU and Sammy, respectively, the Paladins have about an 8% chance (per Massey) of getting the Autobid.

I suppose we could subjectively determine a % amount of FU being able to 'hold the line' on points as outlined above and multiply that by the 8% chance to the outcomes of the games going FU's way to derive an Autobid 'chance,' but we know that will certainly be less than 8% (and way less than 20%). FWIW - doing a little swagging based on scoring offense vs. scoring defense in SoCon games, it can be projected that FU will give up about 56 points in those 2 games, while Woffy will give up 28 to WCU and ETSU will give up 34 to Sammy....so, what...let's say a 25% chance (generously) that FU can 'win' the points game....So...about a 2% chance of FU getting the Autobid.

To fully bake this, we can add the % chance of FU getting an At-Large to the 2% to get to FU's "chance of making the playoffs." 1st, they HAVE to win out...Mr. Massey says there is a 53% chance of that. Then multiply that by the % chance we think the Committee would select them. For consistency, let's say 25% again. So...about 13% added to the 2%...and we have, SCIENTIFICALLY determined you were being generous with your "20% (tops)" estimate.

About 15% chance we'll see my 'Dins in the post-season this year.

gofurman
November 8th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Any way, the answer to the thread question is:

**** NO

That's not 100% true. Furman at 6-4 can win the SoCon AUTOBID. Though quite unlikely I fully admit.

gofurman
November 8th, 2018, 09:47 PM

BIG SHOUT OUT TO GO...Gate for this post !!!!!!!!!!

he takes the high-road and admits Furman has always been a measuring stick for Colgate.

Good man. Not the Ego stuff we usually see - nice objective post. I hope Furman and Colgate play again soon

FUGameBreaker
November 9th, 2018, 04:04 AM

My comment is accurate.

Your comment of 'squashed' is 100% asinine, but if it makes you feel better keep it up xthumbsupx

ElCid
November 9th, 2018, 06:14 AM
Mr. Massey says Woffy gets the Autobid there with 180, Furman at 197, and ETSU at 207.

At present, Furman has given up 146 SoCon points with 2 games to play, Woffy 152 with 2 games to play, and ETSU 179 with 1 game to play.

Wofford only has one game in regard to points. If all the win loses happen as needed, Furman would probably still be screwed by the points. Maybe not, but probably.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Wofford only has one game in regard to points. If all the win loses happen as needed, Furman would probably still be screwed by the points. Maybe not, but probably.Yeah, typo in that part, but I got it right later & put ‘pure science’ to your “probably”...

“...doing a little swagging based on scoring offense vs. scoring defense in SoCon games, it can be projected that FU will give up about 56 points in those 2 games, while Woffy will give up 28 to WCU and ETSU will give up 34 to Sammy....so, what...let's say a 25% chance (generously) that FU can 'win' the points game....So...about a 2% chance of FU getting the Autobid.”

Did you NOT read my brief post all the way to the end, El Cid?

FUBeAR is DEEPLY offended!

ElCid
November 9th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Yeah, typo in that part, but I got it right later & put ‘pure science’ to your “probably”...

“...doing a little swagging based on scoring offense vs. scoring defense in SoCon games, it can be projected that FU will give up about 56 points in those 2 games, while Woffy will give up 28 to WCU and ETSU will give up 34 to Sammy....so, what...let's say a 25% chance (generously) that FU can 'win' the points game....So...about a 2% chance of FU getting the Autobid.”

Did you NOT read my brief post all the way to the end, El Cid?

FUBeAR is DEEPLY offended!

Read the entire thing and realized you were correct, but wanted to make sure everyone else understood that Wofford has only one game. Pretty big impact, one versus two, if everything else happens. A big if in my estimate.

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 07:03 AM
I think Furman is in a BCS-era position of needing to not only win, but win with flair.

It's not in Coach Hendrix's DNA, I think, but I wouldn't hate it if Furman tried to put as many on the board as possible the next two weeks.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2018, 07:37 AM
I think Furman is in a BCS-era position of needing to not only win, but win with flair.

It's not in Coach Hendrix's DNA, I think, but I wouldn't hate it if Furman tried to put as many on the board as possible the next two weeks.To increase the At-Large probability, I’m assuming you mean...yes?

I don’t think you would see much lift from beating a, probably, 1-10 (with no D1 wins) VMI and a, possibly, 4-7 Mercer, by 100 points each game.

Conversely, IMO, when the Offense starts putting up BIG scoreboard numbers, it’s just human nature the the D is going to relax a bit and that’s the thing FU can least afford in a potential tiebreaker scenario.

So, I don’t think there is any reason to ‘run it up’ offensively on VMI, while the AutoBid is still a possibility. But I don’t think we will see any Starters ‘pulled’ in that game regardless of the score. Defense will be vying for a shutout. So, for example, instead of seeing Atkins come on for a 54 yard FG, I think we’ll see a Punt there, hoping to pin the Keydets deep...or if very short yardage, go for it in a ‘gamble’ to play keep-away & run clock. We might even see FU being a bit bellhop-like (as awful as that sounds) the entire game to keep the Keydets # of Offensive plays / possessions / scoring opportunities to a minimum.

If CIT beats Samford, then we will see the same thing in the FU @ Mercer game.

Now, if Samford beats CIT, which, I believe, would eliminate FU from any autobid path, then, yes, I suppose we could see FU try to run up the score on Mercer. But, as the average margin of victory in Furman’s 2 wins (‘14 & ‘17) & Mercer’s 2 wins (‘15 & ‘16) has been 5.5 points, with the largest spread being 7, it’s difficult to see that happening. Plus, if we discount the value of doing that by the possibility of its success really having any impact on the goal of such an effort, I just don’t see Coach Hendrix authorizing such a quixotic exercise vs. his life-long friend & Former Teammate on the opposing sideline. Oh yeah, they want to beat each other with a passion, but neither of them would want to gut & embarrass the other for, most likely zero return on such an investment...as much as PaladinFan would like to see it happen.

ElCid
November 9th, 2018, 07:58 AM
To increase the At-Large probability, I’m assuming you mean...yes?

I don’t think you would see much lift from beating a, probably, 1-10 (with no D1 wins) VMI and a, possibly, 4-7 Mercer, by 100 points each game.

Conversely, IMO, when the Offense starts putting up BIG scoreboard numbers, it’s just human nature the the D is going to relax a bit and that’s the thing FU can least afford in a potential tiebreaker scenario.

So, I don’t think there is any reason to ‘run it up’ offensively on VMI, while the AutoBid is still a possibility. But I don’t think we will see any Starters ‘pulled’ in that game regardless of the score. Defense will be vying for a shutout. So, for example, instead of seeing Atkins come on for a 54 yard FG, I think we’ll see a Punt there, hoping to pin the Keydets deep...or if very short yardage, go for it in a ‘gamble’ to play keep-away & run clock. We might even see FU being a bit bellhop-like (as awful as that sounds) the entire game to keep the Keydets # of Offensive plays / possessions / scoring opportunities to a minimum.

Now, if Samford beats CIT, which, I believe, would eliminate FU from any autobid path, then, yes, I suppose we could see FU try to run up the score on Mercer. But, as the average margin of victory in Furman’s 2 wins (‘14 & ‘17) & Mercer’s 2 wins (‘15 & ‘16) has been 5.5 points, with the largest spread being 7, it’s difficult to see that happening. Plus, if we discount the value of doing that by the possibility of its success really having any impact on the goal of such an effort, I just don’t see Coach Hendrix authorizing such a quixotic exercise vs. his life-long friend & Former Teammate on the opposing sideline. Oh yeah, they want to beat each other with a passion, but neither of them would want to gut & embarrass the other for, most likely zero return on such an investment...as much as PaladinFan would like to see it happen.

All these crazy possibilities.

But of all the possibilities, the one least feared is the one likely to rear its ugly head.

Hey want to see something really scary.... It's a cool Saturday afternoon in the Shenandoah Valley, the announcer blasts the news over the PA, "now a final, The Citadel 34, Samford 10." Oh! The moon's have lined up for the Paladin faithful...if not for the score on the board in Lexington...early in the fourth, VMI 38, Furman 7. And that is when Furman fans know, they have entered the TWILIGHT ZONE.

Now that would suck, huh?

Gater
November 9th, 2018, 08:01 AM
This will go down as my stupidest post ever.

If you go to the 13 minute mark of this interview you hear Colgate's coach Dan Hunt talk about the Furman game. To paraphrase what happened, Colgate and Furman thought the game could be played. The hurricane's predicted path changed on Wednesday. Colgate was in a meeting discussing options when they learned Furman had closed for the weekend. Colgate offered Furman Colgate's charter plane to play the game at Colgate. To quote Coach Hunt, "That lasted a little bit but at the end of the day, and rightfully so, Furman said, 'Listen, we can't put our kids on a plane in a hurricane and bring 'em back in a hurricane.' So it became apparent that, hey, this is going to be cancelled."

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-colgate-dan-hunt-undefeated-defense-2018-ajaj

Hopefully, this has changed no one's opinion about what happened.

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 08:26 AM

If you go to the 13 minute mark of this interview you hear Colgate's coach Dan Hunt talk about the Furman game. To paraphrase what happened, Colgate and Furman thought the game could be played. The hurricane's predicted path changed on Wednesday. Colgate was in a meeting discussing options when they learned Furman had closed for the weekend. Colgate offered Furman Colgate's charter plane to play the game at Colgate. To quote Coach Hunt, "That lasted a little bit but at the end of the day, and rightfully so, Furman said, 'Listen, we can't put our kids on a plane in a hurricane and bring 'em back in a hurricane.' So it became apparent that, hey, this is going to be cancelled."

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-colgate-dan-hunt-undefeated-defense-2018-ajaj

I'd be interested to know the thought process.

Once concern, I think, is probably that it was Furman's home opener. If you look at Furman's schedule, if they opted to play Colgate on the road, that would have been seven straight road games dating back to the end of 2017 (Furman also played ETSU on the road the next week). It's almost better to stay home than force the team on another long road trip.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2018, 08:26 AM

I'd be interested to know the thought process.

Once concern, I think, is probably that it was Furman's home opener. If you look at Furman's schedule, if they opted to play Colgate on the road, that would have been seven straight road games dating back to the end of 2017 (Furman also played ETSU on the road the next week). It's almost better to stay home than force the team on another long road trip.

I think all further posts/threads about the Colgate @ Furman game cancellation should be moved to the Politics Forum, as the ‘spin’ around the issue is just too extensive for the FCS Discussion Forum to endure.

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 08:35 AM
To increase the At-Large probability, I’m assuming you mean...yes?

If Furman is eliminated from the autobid, the only way Furman gets a shot is, arguably, forcing the committee to select them over Wofford, who will finish with a better overall record against an easier schedule, lost to Furman by 3 touchdowns, and has the same SoCon record.

Wofford beat VMI and Mercer soundly (both at home). Furman, I think, would need impressive road wins against those same two programs to (1) move into the top 25, and (2) put their resume up against Wofford's.

Realistically, I do not think it matters much who the opponent is. If the final game was against UTC or Samford, I'd feel the same way. Furman could use two convincing wins. I think the likelihood of that happening in Lexington is a lot better than the odds in Macon. I don't think any coach in the SoCon is going to intentionally run up the score, but, as you note, if the choice comes between trying to get 7 points instead of settling for an easy 3, they probably go with the former.

Mercer lost by 21 to Wofford. That margin of victory would be a convincing win for Furman, wouldn't be embarrassing to either program, and satisfy Furman's need to keep pace with the Terriers.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2018, 09:05 AM
If Furman is eliminated from the autobid, the only way Furman gets a shot is, arguably, forcing the committee to select them over Wofford, who will finish with a better overall record against an easier schedule, lost to Furman by 3 touchdowns, and has the same SoCon record.

Wofford beat VMI and Mercer soundly (both at home). Furman, I think, would need impressive road wins against those same two programs to (1) move into the top 25, and (2) put their resume up against Wofford's.

Realistically, I do not think it matters much who the opponent is. If the final game was against UTC or Samford, I'd feel the same way. Furman could use two convincing wins. I think the likelihood of that happening in Lexington is a lot better than the odds in Macon. I don't think any coach in the SoCon is going to intentionally run up the score, but, as you note, if the choice comes between trying to get 7 points instead of settling for an easy 3, they probably go with the former.

Mercer lost by 21 to Wofford. That margin of victory would be a convincing win for Furman, wouldn't be embarrassing to either program, and satisfy Furman's need to keep pace with the Terriers.

Pure opinion on my part, but I think the lens you are viewing how the committee goes about making selections is way too narrow. I believe they will be comparing Furman with Wofford in almost an equal amount of depth that they compare Furman & Wofford with Central Arkansas, Weber State, and Monmouth. AND, at the same time, I think your assessment of their depth of comparative analysis is way too broad. I don’t think those comparisons are going to extend to scoring differentials among common opponents; and certainly not when there is a head-to-head comparison to inform their decisions.

If the committee has 1 spot left and it comes down to Furman & Wofford...AND they feel that Furman’s (expected) 3 FCS losses are equivalent to Wofford’s 2 (or 3 - they ain’t gonna lose to PC, but could to WCU on the road) FCS losses based on SoS & quality of those losses, then they’ll go to head-to-head and Furman’s in. If not, then head to head won’t matter, other than how it factors into record, SoS, and loss quality analysis. They ain’t gonna get down to how many 1st down Woffy had vs. Gardner-Webb compared to how many penalty yards Furman had vs. Elon.

Doubtful, they purchased the latest version of SAS Analytics Software and there’s only so much time between Sat. Night & Sun. Evening.

https://abrilsuperinteressante.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/domquixote680.gif

PaladinFan
November 9th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I don't disagree with your general point. I am just of the opinion that you would rather be the No. 3 SoCon team than the No. 4 SoCon team. The fourth team is usually left home. The third team often is not.

There's no question the autobid conversation looks at the full breadth of FCS football. My only point is that I'd rather have Furman standing in line ahead of Wofford.

Besides, there is no harm that will come to Furman if they (1) win, and (2) do it convincingly. It only helps.

FUBeAR
November 9th, 2018, 09:54 AM
I don't disagree with your general point. I am just of the opinion that you would rather be the No. 3 SoCon team than the No. 4 SoCon team. The fourth team is usually left home. The third team often is not.

There's no question the autobid conversation looks at the full breadth of FCS football. My only point is that I'd rather have Furman standing in line ahead of Wofford.

Besides, there is no harm that will come to Furman if they (1) win, and (2) do it convincingly. It only helps.
Bottom line...should Furman beat VMI AND get a lead on Mercer, I am HIGHLY CONFIDENT there will be no extraordinary amount of “flair” applied, nor even attempted by Furman in their game with Mercer.

FUGameBreaker
November 9th, 2018, 11:21 AM

Oh just stop it, Colgate deciding not to come to Furman was the first decision made, Colgate offering to host the game is ridiculous, just drop the damn thing already

FUGameBreaker
November 9th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Bottom line...should Furman beat VMI AND get a lead on Mercer, I am HIGHLY CONFIDENT there will be no extraordinary amount of “flair” applied, nor even attempted by Furman in their game with Mercer.

Right, and I certainly expect us to be playing slow to milk clock and help our defense out this Saturday at VMI (given the potential tie-breaker scenario)

For example:
If Furman can have a great day and hold VMI to say 17 points and WCU can put up at least 28 on Wofford in the Whee then that will put Furman at needing to hold Mercer the following week to 17 or less, a tall order but certainly possible

Of course if Citadel comes up short against Samford the tie-breaker stuff won't matter anyway

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Oh just stop it, Colgate deciding not to come to Furman was the first decision made, Colgate offering to host the game is ridiculous, just drop the damn thing

already

........RICHMOND CHANGED THEY'RE HOME GAME WHIFF.....ST. FRANCIS....&....AGREED TO PLAY @....ST. FRANCIS.........HURRICANE WEEK.......AWK!

FUGameBreaker
November 9th, 2018, 11:32 AM
........RICHMOND CHANGED THEY'RE HOME GAME WHIFF.....ST. FRANCIS....&....AGREED TO PLAY @....ST. FRANCIS.........HURRICANE WEEK.......AWK!

That's a 4.5 hour bus ride, so if you want to use the Georgia Southern bus ride to Clemson that day as a reason for them being able to play that game don't come at me with contradictory nonsense like this xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
November 9th, 2018, 11:40 AM
That's a 4.5 hour bus ride, so if you want to use the Georgia Southern bus ride to Clemson that day as a reason for them being able to play that game don't come at me with contradictory nonsense like this xthumbsupx

......MOMENTARY LAPSE....UH REASON......xoopsx....BRAWK!

FUGameBreaker
November 9th, 2018, 11:42 AM
......MOMENTARY LAPSE....UH REASON......xoopsx....BRAWK!

xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 9th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Furman should be in the FCS playoffs just for this alone lol

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1061104254738423810
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1061111108508045312

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Big win for Paladin Hoops.

If you are going to get a big win, it might as well be over a final four team on the road with a buzzer beater NBA Jam dunk.

"The nail in the coffin!"

SU DOG
November 10th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Great comeback win by Furman, and I watched that phenominal finish.xthumbsupx Next we will probably be disciplined for mentioning basketball on here, but I will interject that the SoCon is strong in every sport it sponsors.xnodx

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Great comeback win by Furman, and I watched that phenominal finish.xthumbsupx Next we will probably be disciplined for mentioning basketball on here, but I will interject that the SoCon is strong in every sport it sponsors.xnodx

I'm not even sure this thread has a theme anymore.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 08:27 AM
They still 1’ing & done’ing in College Hoops?
NCAA 3 Point line still about 3’ closer than the NBA 3 point line?

If “Yes” to either...MODERATORS - PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE APPROPRIATE FORUM. If there is one called “Sports the NCAA has Ruined,” that’ll be perfect.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 09:17 AM
They still 1’ing & done’ing in College Hoops?
NCAA 3 Point line still about 3’ closer than the NBA 3 point line?

If “Yes” to either...MODERATORS - PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE APPROPRIATE FORUM. If there is one called “Sports the NCAA has Ruined,” that’ll be perfect.

Your right, back to football!

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1061249616484560896

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Paladins rolling up 35-7 at halftime

kdinva
November 10th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Paladins rolling up 35-7 at halftime

Furman making ALL THE PLAYs.......VMI has made one.......and F-__ uped many.......but Furman has taken advantage of VMI's woes.....good teams to that.....

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 02:43 PM
49-7 Paladins

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Furman wins 49-13

Mayville Bison
November 10th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Great day on the bubble so far for the Paladins

Eliminated today is:

SE Miss. St.
Monmouth
UNI
Illinois St.
URI
WIU
Samford

And More To Come.......

6-5 UNI > 6-4 FU

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 04:17 PM
6-5 UNI > 6-4 FU

Just stop being ridiculous lol, learn to own up when you are wrong about a team

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 04:18 PM
6-5 UNI > 6-4 FU

Only one way to find out.

Kidding aside, Furman looks like one of the few teams in the country that continues to get stronger as the season goes on. Most of the FCS teams look like they are fading.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Great day on the bubble so far for the Paladins

Eliminated today is:

SE Miss. St.
Monmouth
UNI
Illinois St.
URI
WIU
Samford

And More To Come.......

Mayville Bison
November 10th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Only one way to find out.

Kidding aside, Furman looks like one of the few teams in the country that continues to get stronger as the season goes on. Most of the FCS teams look like they are fading.

That is the one good thing about their non-auto bid chances. They are definitely trending in the right direction.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Another huge development, SC St. leads FAMU 24-7, that's HUGE!

kdinva
November 10th, 2018, 04:20 PM
......and Wofford trails WCU at the half, 20-14.....

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 05:33 PM
SC St. leads FAMU 30-21 in the 4th quarter, would be great for FAMU to lose so NC A&T goes to celebration bowl

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 05:42 PM
......and Wofford trails WCU at the half, 20-14.....
and Wofford wins 38-23.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 05:43 PM
SC State rolling baby up 44-21, YES SIR!

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2018, 05:55 PM
SC State rolling baby up 44-21, YES SIR!

Game doesn't count towards the conference title. Sorry.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Game doesn't count towards the conference title. Sorry.

Holy hell lol, you have the dumbest league ever dude

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Holy hell lol, you have the dumbest league ever dude

I mean... Well... You better cheer for Bethune-Cookman next Saturday.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I mean... Well...

Can you explain to me real quick why the conference is setup like this? Sorry just curious, makes no sense to me

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Can you explain to me real quick why the conference is setup like this? Sorry just curious, makes no sense to me

Blame Hampton and the Big South.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I'm rooting for Furman to get the autobid.

I want a rematch.

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:21 PM

I want a rematch.

Too funny. I saw what you did there.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:23 PM

I want a rematch.

Autobid or AT-Large, sign me up xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:27 PM
No joke, if Furman makes the playoffs I would be very surprised if we aren't the first round match up

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:31 PM
No joke, if Furman makes the playoffs I would be very surprised if we aren't the first round match up

Who's forking out the money for the home game

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:40 PM
Who's forking out the money for the home game

It sure as hell ain't gonna be based on attendance...

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2018, 06:43 PM
If Samford beats ETSU next week and Furman beats Mercer to set up a 3 way tie at 6-2 between ETSU, Wofford, and Furman who gets the autobid? Since those 3 would all be 1-1 against each other and the other loss for each is to Samford does it go to computer ratings then to break the tie? Or do they start getting into margin of victory stuff to break the tie then?

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 06:45 PM
If Samford beats ETSU next week and Furman beats Mercer to set up a 3 way tie at 6-2 between ETSU, Wofford, and Furman who gets the autobid? Since those 3 would all be 1-1 against each other and the other loss for each is to Samford does it go to computer ratings then to break the tie? Or do they start getting into margin of victory stuff to break the tie then?

Team that gave up the least points total in conference play

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 06:46 PM

I want a rematch.You don’t

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:53 PM
If Samford beats ETSU next week and Furman beats Mercer to set up a 3 way tie at 6-2 between ETSU, Wofford, and Furman who gets the autobid? Since those 3 would all be 1-1 against each other and the other loss for each is to Samford does it go to computer ratings then to break the tie? Or do they start getting into margin of victory stuff to break the tie then?Basic Heuristic:
ETSU wins, they are the autobid.
They lose and Samford scores 21, they do not get the autobid.

Furman let's Mercer score 17, they do not get the autobid

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:54 PM

Wofford is done at 175
Furman has Mercer to go and is at 159
ETSU has Samford and needs to win outright, if they lose they are at 179 so they have to win, they already lost to Wofford on Points since Wofford is done.

So IF ETSU loses, then Furman better hold Mercer to 15 points or less. If it's 16, then it is a coin toss. 17, they are toast.

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Basic Heuristic:
ETSU wins, they are the autobid.
They lose and Samford scores 21, they do not get the autobid.

Furman let's Mercer score 17, they do not get the autobid

ETSU is done on points already. They need to win.

woffordgrad94
November 10th, 2018, 06:56 PM
You don’t
I do.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Furman is actually in great shape for an at-large even if we don't clinch the autobid

This is where I have the 24 team field right now

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware
Colgate
JMU
Stony Brook
Maine
Idaho St.
Towson
Wofford
JSU
Nicholls St.
ETSU
Furman
NC A&T
McNeese St.
Indiana St.
San Diego
Duquesne

Should a team fall then winner of Montana vs. Montana St. is next team in

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 07:30 PM
You don’t
Not only consummate football analysis but mind reading skills to boot. You and Chuck Norris must be brothers.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 07:30 PM
I do.No. You don’t.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 07:36 PM
No. You don’t.
"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 07:38 PM
No. You don’t.I guarantee you the entire Wofford football team wants a rematch.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I guarantee you the entire Wofford football team wants a rematch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkThey don’t.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 07:57 PM
They don’t.
your cut and paste function is getting more of a workout tonight than the Furman propaganda machine.

It would be difficult to beat any team twice in the same year. It happened last year. But it is rare.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 08:14 PM
I'm now reading that the points giving up statistic is actually between the three teams when they played...

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 08:16 PM
I'm now reading that the points giving up statistic is actually between the three teams when they played...

Not according to the reply ElCid got from the SoCon office

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Not according to the reply ElCid got from the SoCon officeI believe that came from the SoCon Director of Championships. Probably a pretty reliable resource.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Alright that helps

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 08:20 PM

Not according to the reply ElCid got from the SoCon office

I believe that came from the SoCon Director of Championships. Probably a pretty reliable resource.

I got an e-mail from the source. No doubt it is all SOCON games played.

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 08:21 PM
They want to keep it all alive and boost ESPN+ ratings next week lol

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Also, there's no way the Socon has a director of championships, there's no ****ing way their office is that big

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Also, there's no way the Socon has a director of championships, there's no ****ing way their office is that big

Yeah they do.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1136541

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Yeah they do.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1136541
Geez, He is an Appy!

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Lol that's what I was thinking at first too

FUGameBreaker
November 10th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Updated possible 24 team field:

NDSU
EWU
KSU
UC Davis
Weber St.
SDSU
Elon
Delaware