PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League clinches 1 team with winning record for 2nd straight year

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2018, 04:49 PM
Lafayette's loss to Holy Cross secured this dubious feat for the league. Not like they were beating Army next week so this was basically a formality anyway.

Has this ever happened in the history of 1-AA/FCS that a conference could produce just a single team with a winning record for consecutive years?

JacksFan40
November 3rd, 2018, 04:51 PM
What’s even better is last years team with the winning record didn’t even win the conference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2018, 04:52 PM
What’s even better is last years team with the winning record didn’t even win the conference.

Colgate earned a co-championship late year. They just didn't receive the auto-bid due to their head-2-head loss to Lehigh.

TheValleyRaider
November 3rd, 2018, 05:20 PM
Colgate earned a co-championship late year. They just didn't receive the auto-bid due to their head-2-head loss to Lehigh.

Also, why I'm not concerned about finding motivation next weekend

Gate83
November 3rd, 2018, 05:37 PM
Don't think there's any additional animosity towards LU from last year's game. Towards the officials who robbed us yes, but towards the team... eh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2018, 05:38 PM
Also, why I'm not concerned about finding motivation next weekend

I don't think the 'Gate players need extra motivation to beat a 2-7 Lehigh team ;)

If the league wasn't so inept Colgate would have a clear path to a seed. The league sucking has a domino effect that I hope the suites in Green Pond and at each athletic department acknowledge.

TheValleyRaider
November 3rd, 2018, 05:42 PM
Don't think there's any additional animosity towards LU from last year's game. Towards the officials who robbed us yes, but towards the team... eh.

Direct animosity toward Lehigh? Agreed.

A chance to make sure this one stays out of the officials' hands, unlike a certain game where they may feel the better team did not win? They'll be ready.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2018, 05:50 PM
Direct animosity toward Lehigh? Agreed.

A chance to make sure this one stays out of the officials' hands, unlike a certain game where they may feel the better team did not win? They'll be ready.

There's been plenty of emotion in the Colgate-Lehigh series over the last 20 years. I don't think either program is particularly fond of each other. I remember both teams getting into it after the '99 game and a Lembo-Biddle confrontation a few years later. Lafayette is Lehigh's clear rival but Colgate is their main nemesis. Lehigh played with a chippy edge today which I don't mind. I expect the same type of effort next week....until reality sets in.

citdog
November 3rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
Been saying for YEARS that the patsy league was a joke. Colgate has brushed away all opponents this year and is the only team in that league that could win the Pioneer...

PAllen
November 3rd, 2018, 08:23 PM
Been saying for YEARS that the patsy league was a joke. Colgate has brushed away all opponents this year and is the only team in that league that could win the Socon...

FIFY

citdog
November 3rd, 2018, 08:42 PM
FIFY

Colgate is the 8th best team in the SoCon. The vagina military institute would beat them 7 out of 10...

Kramden
November 3rd, 2018, 08:46 PM
You're probably right.....so what's your point?

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2018, 08:53 PM
FIFY

PA: Why does anyone keep responding to this clown after all these years? Get with it PL people.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2018, 08:56 PM
This is a sequel to the earlier thread on the topic... still symptomatic of institutional policies. Holy Cross has a good chance of pulling itself together by next season. Lehigh somehow recovers quickly.

Garrett will be a test of Lafayette's new strategic plan. Convinced now that he is not the answer unless he starts learning and adapting.

citdog
November 3rd, 2018, 09:05 PM
PA: Why does anyone keep responding to this clown after all these years? Get with it PL people.

Typical yankee elitist position... "I know he's right yet instead of engaging I'll just call him names." It's like election night 2016 all over again!!!

Bill
November 3rd, 2018, 09:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmm3KTa601s

RichH2
November 3rd, 2018, 09:12 PM
Typical yankee elitist position... "I know he's right yet instead of engaging I'll just call him names." It's like election night 2016 all over again!!!

Ever the troll citdog. Annoying when you just berate. Much prefer your acerbic humor. Since we do suck this year, I wont delve yet again into your "eitist" crap. PL will either get better or return to being the Ivies' tame tagalong. We'll see what our Presidents do in June. Good luck the rest of the season citdog.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2018, 09:25 PM
Ever the troll citdog. Annoying when you just berate. Much prefer your acerbic humor. Since we do suck this year, I wont delve yet again into your "eitist" crap. PL will either get better or return to being the Ivies' tame tagalong. We'll see what our Presidents do in June. Good luck the rest of the season citdog.

Rich, you are doing it... stop! It's hard not to react but it can be done.

Probably too early to make the claim but how much will declining football participation rates will impact programs?

There was a major weeding out of programs during the Depression, WWII, and 1960s. Maybe the next wave will arrive. We are probably "over football'd" at the college level as it is.

Do not think PL programs will go anywhere but things are not great for the game overall. Even SEC attendance has been down I believe.

ngineer
November 3rd, 2018, 11:03 PM

Probably too early to make the claim but how much will declining football participation rates will impact programs?

There was a major weeding out of programs during the Depression, WWII, and 1960s. Maybe the next wave will arrive. We are probably "over football'd" at the college level as it is.

Do not think PL programs will go anywhere but things are not great for the game overall. Even SEC attendance has been down I believe.

Valid points. There is a definite reduction in football interest. I see it when I walk my dog up by the elementary school and see the Township 'feeder program' practicing. Numbers are significantly down. Meanwhile, in addition to soccer, lacrosse in making big inroads. That does not take into account the 'other' distractions kids have today and the reduced interest in committing to something that is hard. I will be surprised if the PL Presidents Council does anything to increase the PL's profile in football.

RichH2
November 3rd, 2018, 11:25 PM

I know . I actually enjoy citdog but when he leaves his sense of humor behind he is just an annoying troll beating the same drum.
Attendance is an issue throughout sports not just football. Lot factors but one common factor for college is the ease of watching virtually any game on TV. Today, I had 23 games to choose from. I dont get ESPNU, CBSN nor any of the conference channels. I can also stream most PL,NEC and Ivy game.
Agreed. I dont see PL dropping from FCS nor going non schollie. Half measures never work well. Either you're in or you are not. I hope we dont just stand pat.

DFW HOYA
November 4th, 2018, 12:40 AM
Lafayette's loss to Holy Cross secured this dubious feat for the league. Not like they were beating Army next week so this was basically a formality anyway.

FWIW, wins over Bucknell (1-8) and Holy Cross (3-6) would give Georgetown a 6-5 record.

Sader87
November 4th, 2018, 12:45 AM
We shall see DFW but all signs are pointing to HC closing out on a 4 game winning streak this year....

citdog
November 4th, 2018, 12:47 AM
Patsy league gonna patsy league....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2018, 06:19 AM
FWIW, wins over Bucknell (1-8) and Holy Cross (3-6) would give Georgetown a 6-5 record.

Both of these outcomes paired with a Lehigh upset win over Colgate this weekend would also make Georgetown a co-PL champion as well.

Pard4Life
November 4th, 2018, 06:23 AM
We shall see DFW but all signs are pointing to HC closing out on a 4 game winning streak this year....

Think you will get it to. Pards nothing great but liked how you managed the offense... that's enough to win in this league today.

Pard4Life
November 4th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Both of these outcomes paired with a Lehigh upset win over Colgate this weekend would also make Georgetown a co-PL champion as well.

Why do some even think this is possible? The upset will be Colgate gives up more than a touchdown, which will happen. Thinking Colgate 45, Lehigh 17

RichH2
November 4th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Why do some even think this is possible? The upset will be Colgate gives up more than a touchdown, which will happen. Thinking Colgate 45, Lehigh 17

Kinda hope you're off a bit on that score P4L.:) Best I can say is that we will give Gate a game if we show up like we did for Bison. A W is a very remote scenario unless Gate really screws up.
I would like to see Hoyas pull off a winning season. That would indeed be the highlight of an otherwise miserable regular season. A Raider W in the playoffs would help also. The downside with that may be that the Council feel that Gate proved our current by-laws dont prevent national relevance. xnonono2x

PeacockRaider
November 4th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Did you see the game last year? Anything is possible when the zebra's decide to throw flags whenever a certain team scores.

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Patsy league gonna patsy league....

You forget that The Citadel is an Honorary Member of the Patriot League....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2018, 08:33 PM

You're right! I didn't mean to slight the Hoyas. I was so focused on this weeks scores that I forgot the Hoyas were on a bye!

So you're saying there's a chance....xsmiley_wix

Go...gate
November 4th, 2018, 08:51 PM
I'm pulling for the Hoyas to finish 6-5.

RichH2
November 4th, 2018, 10:15 PM

Good. Glad for the company over here. :)

ngineer
November 4th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Did you see the game last year? Anything is possible when the zebra's decide to throw flags whenever a certain team scores.

Still whining? My God, of the three complained of calls two were not bad or "wrong". I will grant that one was a bad call. But the PI, based upon the angle shown on the replay, was one where it was a close call. There was contact and at that instant the official saw interference. That is always a judgement call, and the toughest in the sport. For one who was a DB, you move on. The unsportsmanlike penalty has been one I have seen enforced for years, and indeed, Lehigh has gotten hit with it this year. The 'kids' know the rules. Unfortunately, even at schools such as ours, they still make stupid judgments.

I see that rain is in the forecast for Saturday, if you want to plan this year's excuse.xsmiley_wix

ngineer
November 4th, 2018, 10:41 PM

Yes, that would be a nice shot in the arm for their program...and for the League to have at least another team with a winning record!!

Sader87
November 4th, 2018, 11:02 PM
if Georgetown beats Holy Cross this year, I will not stop throwing up.....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 4th, 2018, 11:30 PM
if Georgetown beats Holy Cross this year, I will not stop throwing up.....

This has now become my third-most-desired Patriot League game outcome remaining in the season

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 12:34 AM
I always pick cautiously, and I will for this game, as well. Lehigh will be playing at home and they played their best game of the season last week. Who says they won't do that two weeks in a row?

PeacockRaider
November 5th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Still whining? My God, of the three complained of calls two were not bad or "wrong". I will grant that one was a bad call. But the PI, based upon the angle shown on the replay, was one where it was a close call. There was contact and at that instant the official saw interference. That is always a judgement call, and the toughest in the sport. For one who was a DB, you move on. The unsportsmanlike penalty has been one I have seen enforced for years, and indeed, Lehigh has gotten hit with it this year. The 'kids' know the rules. Unfortunately, even at schools such as ours, they still make stupid judgments.
I see that rain is in the forecast for Saturday, if you want to plan this year's excuse.xsmiley_wix
Yes. Years go by but the Seniors never get another shot. If that's how you saw it fine, but in my 40 plus years of watching football at the high school, college, and Pro level it was the most one sided officiated game I've ever seen.