PDA

View Full Version : Furman vs Chattanooga game thread (11/3/18)

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 11:21 AM
I figured this needed its own thread.

It's gonna be a good one. Chattanooga has struggled against teams who run option principles in their offense this year. Furman has injury/depth problems and their weakness is pass defense. Chattanooga can't run the ball great but passes the ball phenomenally for a team that doesn't run the air raid.

I know Furman will get roasted on this board if they lose this one but they shouldn't. Chattanooga is a good, albeit flawed team that is fighting for a playoff spot. Furman is also good yet flawed and is probably out of discussion, but there's still a small chance they make moves.

Kickoff in ~40 minutes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 11:39 AM
I figured this needed its own thread.

It's gonna be a good one. Chattanooga has struggled against teams who run option principles in their offense this year. Furman has injury/depth problems and their weakness is pass defense. Chattanooga can't run the ball great but passes the ball phenomenally for a team that doesn't run the air raid.

I know Furman will get roasted on this board if they lose this one but they shouldn't. Chattanooga is a good, albeit flawed team that is fighting for a playoff spot. Furman is also good yet flawed and is probably out of discussion, but there's still a small chance they make moves.

Kickoff in ~40 minutes.

My statement from the Mocs Board back when FU was 0-3 and the Mocs were 4-0.....I've been looking forward to this match up. My Mocs have to play a complete game (something they have not done yet) to get the W today.

Milktruck74 (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mocnation/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10407914)

585 (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mocnation/looking-forward-t6277.html)

11:35 PM - Sep 23, 2018 #1 (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mocnation/looking-forward-t6277.html#p20965)
I really prefer to take the season a single game at a time, but this start has me playing "What if".... If we can get past the next two weeks, which is a tall order, ETSU has a solid team and Wofford just wins....but if we could get to 6-0, or even 5-1...we will beat VMI and WCU.....so 8-0 or 7-1....but Furman scares the mess out of me. They are a wounded dog and they are going to bite someone. They are a good football team and if they can get it together, they are going to be tough towards the end of the season. Mercer is scary too, they may have lost Riddle, but Riley (his back up) was the SoCon Freshman of the year last season....I think a 9 win season is possible, and 8 win season is probable, a 10 win season is not out of the realm of possibilities and a 7 win season (at this point) would be a disappointment. Thoughts

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 11:41 AM
xthumbsupx

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 11:52 AM
I know I'm a bit biased, but this game is the biggest (with most implications) for the SOCon this week, and probably all Season. This is really a playoff game for both of these teams

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 11:59 AM
and the game has disappeared from ESPN+....

ElCid
November 3rd, 2018, 12:03 PM
and the game has disappeared from ESPN+....

I see it just fine on +. Also have it on regular local TV channel.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 12:04 PM
it came back but it was ESPNing for a moment

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 12:15 PM
Penalties and a sack derail Chattanooga's first drive.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 12:31 PM
timeout on the field. no score, 4 minutes left in the first. It's 4th down for Chattanooga at the Furman 28 and Chattanooga may go for it

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 12:31 PM
YEp, we have to fix that...cant give up 100 yards in penalties and expect to win.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 12:37 PM
touchdown furman on a great read by Roberts.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 12:58 PM
Furman is Gashing the Mocs DL...Being light on Fresh bodies at DL is gonna hurt inthe long run.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 12:59 PM
Chattanooga's offense is doing as well as you'd expect, being one dimensional and all.

Furman with another first down, they just look so much different with Roberts at the helm.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 01:07 PM
Chattanooga's offense is doing as well as you'd expect, being one dimensional and all.

Furman with another first down, they just look so much different with Roberts at the helm.

One dimensional and a banged up Nunnley...

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2018, 01:13 PM
Furman is daring UTC to run at them. They are in a 3-4, but essentially only rushing 3 and dropping 8.

Paladins seem to think UTC can't run the ball and they can get to Tiano with only three.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2018, 01:18 PM
Apparently this ref crew isn't the same one that worked the Citadel game last week.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
Grayson Atkins is the best kicker in the Socon.

I spell his name wrong.

Gray$on Atkin$

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 01:22 PM
He has the leg for sundays....

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2018, 01:23 PM
That was a good half for Furman. The defense has played well. The offense has been grinding on that Moc defensive front. I think that pounding will probably pay dividends late.

This game feels a bit like an "option team" sort of game. Mocs have to be careful in the second half not to let Furman just melt the clock away on the ground. The Paladins have to know they are facing a really good team at forcing turnovers and hang on to the ball.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2018, 01:25 PM
Grayson Atkins is the best kicker in the Socon.

I spell his name wrong.

Gray$on Atkin$

Hard to argue otherwise. A bit like Mavin was for Wofford two years ago.

In a run-heavy offense with a good defense, Atkins is a big luxury. It is a nice luxury for an offense only to have to get the ball to the 30 to score.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 01:42 PM
First Half Thoughts.....

Furman O = Chattanooga D
Furman D = Chattanooga O

Quarles > Feeney
Staggs > Rascati

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 01:43 PM
and Furman fumbles the kickoff.

Yikes. The return game has just been an adventure for the dins this year.

- - - Updated - - -

First Half Thoughts.....

Furman O = Chattanooga D
Furman D = Chattanooga O

Quarles > Feeney
Staggs > Rascati

Chattanooga's defense isn't terrible, but I would reconsider the employment of the OC.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 01:45 PM
Time to see who can make adjustments....

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 01:53 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Chattanooga's defense isn't terrible, but I would reconsider the employment of the OC.

This check with me play calling in the two minute game doesn't work. He cost us the W against ETSU. He needs toGROW....Not a bad play caller, but his inability to properly prepare the team is an issue.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 01:57 PM
Roberts showing why he's so important to this team

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 02:06 PM
If that was ruled a fumble, it would not have beenoverturned....socon replay sucks.

FUGameBreaker
November 3rd, 2018, 02:55 PM
Solid win for the Dins today to stay in the SoCon championship hunt

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2018, 02:56 PM
Really impressed with the maturation of this team. Two gutty wins the last two weeks.

Again, that horrific fourth quarter against ETSU still haunts us.

Milktruck74
November 3rd, 2018, 03:26 PM
Solid win for the Dins today to stay in the SoCon championship hunt

It was. I can't say that the Furple was CLEARLY the better TEAM, but The STAFF was!!!!! Good Win, enjoy the playoffs.....We will be sitting at home watching!!!

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2018, 03:47 PM
It was. I can't say that the Furple was CLEARLY the better TEAM, but The STAFF was!!!!! Good Win, enjoy the playoffs.....We will be sitting at home watching!!!

Playoffs are still a long shot. Have to take care of business against VMI and Mercer on the road. Furman will be the favorite in both, but still tough road games.

UTC's defense was as advertised. Furman's offense did a solid job of holding on to the ball and shortening the game. Paladins nearly blew it with turnovers, but managed to hold off a late charge.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2018, 04:22 PM
@ paladin fan do my a favor and compare Furman's conversion rates on third down with and without Roberts

gofurman
November 4th, 2018, 09:01 PM
@ paladin fan do my a favor and compare Furman's conversion rates on third down with and without Roberts

Killing me that we lost Roberts early vs Samford. Young terrier gets it. Furman is just a different team with Robrts at QB - then backup QB fumbles vs Samford while FU was up 19-10. Scoop score 19-17 and Samford was rolling. I don't think Robrts fumbles that as he knows better when to pitch and when to eat the ball for security

also w backup QB we missed on some third downs. Maybe we make those w Roberts and - like vs UTC - we just keep the ball away from Hodges and co. Today vs UTC we killed them w 3/4 on FOURTH down. That's a demoralizing stat to an opponent