PDA

View Full Version : Gage Gubrud Done

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2018, 07:51 PM
He's officially out for the season, meaning it's the end of his career since he's a senior.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/27/eastern-washington-notebook-all-american-quarterba/

Schism55
October 28th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Saw this yesterday, huge bummer.
Kid is a helluva gunslinger

katss07
October 28th, 2018, 07:57 PM
I saw this yesterday and felt bad. EWU never really reached their potential with him. Its too bad.

Whats up with Cookus?

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I saw this yesterday and felt bad. EWU never really reached their potential with him. Its too bad.

Whats up with Cookus?

It sounds like he's either done for the year or won't be back until late (broken collarbone). The backup, Daniel Bridge-Gadd, is out too, and NAU's officially out of the playoff race, so it's a bit of a disaster all around in Flagstaff. Cookus has another year, so we'll see if Jerome Souers will get another one because of that.

Catbooster
October 28th, 2018, 08:39 PM
That sucks. And 16 yards shy of 10,000 yards.

Cookus hasn't used his redshirt year? Or are they applying for a medical redshirt?

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2018, 08:41 PM
That sucks. And 16 yards shy of 10,000 yards.

Cookus hasn't used his redshirt year? Or are they applying for a medical redshirt?

He got a medical redshirt in 2016, so he's a RS-Junior this year.

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2018, 08:51 PM
He's officially out for the season, meaning it's the end of his career since he's a senior.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/oct/27/eastern-washington-notebook-all-american-quarterba/

Man hate to see that!

Daytripper
October 28th, 2018, 08:54 PM
This really sucks. Hopefully he comes back and has success in the future.

bonarae
October 28th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Are there any NFL/CFL chances left for him should he fully recover from his surgery?

dewey
October 28th, 2018, 10:22 PM
That sucks for Gage Gubrud and the Eastern Washington football program.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
October 28th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Tough one man. That dude was damn good and hate to see his collegiate career end like that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Sad to hear. I had adjust EWU's ranking a bit. Nothing crazy but this definitely changes their trajectory until further notice imo.

Iridebikes
October 28th, 2018, 10:57 PM
We talked about this at the EWU game yesterday. Everyone is sad to see his career end with and injury. Gage had a heck of a career for a walk on and did not use a red shirt. Moving forward Eric Barriere is the QB. He brings some added mobility to the position and has a heck of a gun for an arm. Just has to get some more game experience.

MSUBobcat
October 29th, 2018, 12:31 AM
Dang. That's a tough break. Any word on recovery time? Would he possibly be able to participate in the combine, if he were to still be invited?

kalm
October 29th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Very true from a team standpoint. Gage had one of the greatest seasons at QB in the history of FCS two years ago but this year finally had a defense and running game to support the passing game and perhaps get us back over the semi-final hump again.

On the optimistic side, Barreire shows promise. He's now 3-1 as a starter going back to last season. He's averaging 6.7 ypr with 3 rushing TD's including a 48 and an 85 yarder so he has break away speed. EWU is averaging 248 passing ypg and he's thrown for 5 TD's against 2 picks. The latter aren't EWU type numbers, but they're on track to be better than Bo Levi's numbers in 2010. That year, the Eagles averaged 241 through the air and 155 ypg on the ground. We gave up 24.9 ppg on defense. this year we're giving uo 22.1 and 15.8 in conference on D and we're averaging 244 ygp rushing.

Was the Weber game what happens against a quality defense and/or did he just have an off day like all young QB's will early in their careers. He rushed it 14 times but most of them were scrambles as he only pulled it back and ran once or maybe twice out of the RPO. That may have been coaching, trying to keep him healthy with no experience behind him. We were also down both starting tackles for that game which didn't help.

We'd be better off with Gage but all is not necessarily lost and we still have a chance to make a run I think.

POD Knows
October 29th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Very true from a team standpoint. Gage had one of the greatest seasons at QB in the history of FCS two years ago but this year finally had a defense and running game to support the passing game and perhaps get us back over the semi-final hump again.

On the optimistic side, Barreire shows promise. He's now 3-1 as a starter going back to last season. He's averaging 6.7 ypr with 3 rushing TD's including a 48 and an 85 yarder so he has break away speed. EWU is averaging 248 passing ypg and he's thrown for 5 TD's against 2 picks. The latter aren't EWU type numbers, but they're on track to be better than Bo Levi's numbers in 2010. That year, the Eagles averaged 241 through the air and 155 ypg on the ground. We gave up 24.9 ppg on defense. this year we're giving uo 22.1 and 15.8 in conference on D and we're averaging 244 ygp rushing.

Was the Weber game what happens against a quality defense and/or did he just have an off day like all young QB's will early in their careers. He rushed it 14 times but most of them were scrambles as he only pulled it back and ran once or maybe twice out of the RPO. That may have been coaching, trying to keep him healthy with no experience behind him. We were also down both starting tackles for that game which didn't help.

We'd be better off with Gage but all is not necessarily lost and we still have a chance to make a run I think.The EWU/NDSU game in Fargo a couple years back is one of the few Bison games I have not watched again. The guy lit us up big time, had to check it out but his average yards per completion was 17, 450 yards through the air. I hope he gets a shot at the next level, wherever that may be.

kalm
October 29th, 2018, 07:57 AM
The EWU/NDSU game in Fargo a couple years back is one of the few Bison games I have not watched again. The guy lit us up big time, had to check it out but his average yards per completion was 17, 450 yards through the air. I hope he gets a shot at the next level, wherever that may be.

Yeah he was on fire and did even better against WSU the week before that, passing for 474 and rushing for 77 which I think was a Martin Stadium record for total offense. Of course, NDSU had a better defense that year than WSU. :D

Katfan
October 29th, 2018, 08:54 AM
Really hate to see this!

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2018, 09:04 AM
The EWU/NDSU game in Fargo a couple years back is one of the few Bison games I have not watched again. The guy lit us up big time, had to check it out but his average yards per completion was 17, 450 yards through the air. I hope he gets a shot at the next level, wherever that may be.Rush 3 down lineman with no pressure on Gage and you deserve to lose. Somehow the Bison pulled it out.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Derby City Duke
October 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Sad to hear. I had adjust EWU's ranking a bit. Nothing crazy but this definitely changes their trajectory until further notice imo.

Too bad for Gubrud; he was a quality QB.

I haven't changed their team projection -- in fact I moved them up in my poll this week. The Barriere kid is playing really well and the team doesn't seemed to have missed a beat. We'll see if additional film study by opponents changes his and the team's performance level.

BlueGoldAg
October 29th, 2018, 12:16 PM

We'd be better off with Gage but all is not necessarily lost and we still have a chance to make a run I think.

It's really too bad for Gubrud, the Eagles and their fans that his college career ended this way. I was looking forward to a battle between to teams with led by two of the best gunslingers in the FCS, Gubrud and Maier, when the Aggies visit EWU in two weeks. It looks like Barriere is very capable also though and this game should still be a good one.

Aggie fans know what it feels like to lose an exceptional QB at a critical moment. In 1982, we lost our QB, Ken O'Brien, who was selected in the first round by the NY Jets in 1983, to a knee injury in the 3rd quarter of the semi-final D2 playoff game against NDSU. The Aggies stopped the Bison on 4 downs from the Aggie 8 yard line as time expired to move on to the D2 Championship Game in McAllen, Texas. Unfortunately, O'Brien was unable to play and the Aggies lost the championship 34-9 to #1 Southwest Texas State. So we know how much it sucks to lose a player the caliber of Gage Gubrud.

Good luck to the Eagles and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.

kalm
October 29th, 2018, 02:15 PM
It's really too bad for Gubrud, the Eagles and their fans that his college career ended this way. I was looking forward to a battle between to teams with led by two of the best gunslingers in the FCS, Gubrud and Maier, when the Aggies visit EWU in two weeks. It looks like Barriere is very capable also though and this game should still be a good one.

Aggie fans what it feels like to lose an exceptional QB at a critical moment. In 1982, we lost our QB, Ken O'Brien, who was selected in the first round by the NY Jets in 1983, to a knee injury in the 3rd quarter of the semi-final D2 playoff game against NDSU. The Aggies stopped the Bison on 4 downs from the Aggie 8 yard line as time expired to move on to the D2 Championship Game in McAllen, Texas. Unfortunately, O'Brien was unable to play and the Aggies lost the championship 34-9 to #1 Southwest Texas State. So we know how much it sucks to lose a player the caliber of Gage Gubrud.

Good luck to the Eagles and we'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Likewise and thanks for the great history background.

Milktruck74
October 29th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Just thinking of a crazy idea..... It ould be super Classy if UNC allowed him to come out on the opening drive and throw one pass for 17 yards....then the next play the back up takes the ball back 17 yards and takes a knee.....let him hit 10k........just a thought!!!

X-Factor
October 29th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Gage was fun to watch, bad deal his career is over like this!

Rush 3 down lineman with no pressure on Gage and you deserve to lose. Somehow the Bison pulled it out.

Not one of Entz’s finer moments. I believe they used the same **** against SDSU later that year to similar disasterous yardages, then finally went back to a pressure D in the playoffs and whatya know, blew out SDSU. Maybe I’m being hard on the guy, but it’s bullheadedness like that makes me think he might not be cut out for a head coach role anytime soon. Why can’t coaches change up a game plan at halftime if it so clearly was the wrong game plan?

dewey
October 29th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Just thinking of a crazy idea..... It ould be super Classy if UNC allowed him to come out on the opening drive and throw one pass for 17 yards....then the next play the back up takes the ball back 17 yards and takes a knee.....let him hit 10k........just a thought!!!

That is a great idea.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2018, 01:34 AM
Gage was fun to watch, bad deal his career is over like this!

Not one of Entz’s finer moments. I believe they used the same **** against SDSU later that year to similar disasterous yardages, then finally went back to a pressure D in the playoffs and whatya know, blew out SDSU. Maybe I’m being hard on the guy, but it’s bullheadedness like that makes me think he might not be cut out for a head coach role anytime soon. Why can’t coaches change up a game plan at halftime if it so clearly was the wrong game plan?Something along the lines of they don't want to feel like their plans are not working, therefore, changing them implies they knew not what they were doing before, thinking that it would make them look foolish for not getting it right the first time. The thing is, getting it wrong the first time is bad. Not changing the plans since they did not work the first time and expecting something different to work the second time is foolish.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2018, 10:20 AM

.......YOUSE SAID IT.........C'MON MAN.........AH WAS DUE UH MERIT RAISE.......DUH SEPTEMBER....DAT NIXON....PUT UH WAGE FREEZE....ON EVERAH 'MERICAN............IT'S LIFES...UPS & DOWNS........AWK!

Wildcat1997
October 30th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Damn that's rough. I feel sorry for the guy. I wish him success in the future!