SFA at BYE U. This week’s lock

Daytripper
October 28th, 2018, 01:23 PM
SHSU at IWU - This could go either way so I'll be the homer
NWST at ACU - ACU in a blowout
Nicholls at HBU - Huskies are terrible
McNeese at SLU - Always a battle, but Cowboys have too much
Lamar at UCA - Lamar playing really well, and Bears coming off a disappointment
SFA at BYE U - Will the Lumberjacks find a way to lose this one?

McNeese75
October 28th, 2018, 03:50 PM
SHSU at IWU Kats better be able to control the clock. This is not a team you want to get into a track meet with (See Nicholls yesterday).
NWST at ACU Cats should win this one easily.
Nicholls at HBU Too many weapons for the Colonels
McNeese at SLU Homer pick but Hammond is NEVER an easy win for McNeese
Lamar at UCA Bears should regroup but they better lock down the run defense.
SFA at BYE U. The Jacks win this one handily.

Catatonic
October 28th, 2018, 04:03 PM
ACU picked up a nice W over TCU. during its bye week. ACU beat Nicholls which beat Kansas which beat TCU. We’ll takewins any way we can get em, including Transitive.

McCowboys
October 28th, 2018, 05:45 PM
SHSU at IWU - This could go either way so I'll be the homer
NWST at ACU - ACU in a blowout
Nicholls at HBU - Huskies are terrible
McNeese at SLU - Always a battle, but Cowboys have too much
Lamar at UCA - Lamar playing really well, and Bears coming off a disappointment
SFA at BYE U - Will the Lumberjacks find a way to lose this one?

I am pulling for SFA! If they would play all four quarters rather than just the second half like they have done in the majority of their games, they just might have a winning record.

BEAR
October 28th, 2018, 07:33 PM
SHSU at IWU- The birds bounce back.
NWST at ACU- The Cats keep going!
Nicholls at HBU- Colons pushing strong to the postseason.
McNeese at SLU-SLU comes on strong at the end of the season.
Lamar at UCA- It's like a curse. One game lose our head coach. One game lose two QBs. One game lose 3 OL. Why not?!
SFA at BYE U.- Grillin at the Cramp Crank house!

Wildcat1997
October 28th, 2018, 08:24 PM
IWU
ACU
Nicholls
McNeese
UCA
SFA

bonarae
October 28th, 2018, 10:13 PM
UIW
ACU
Nicholls
McNeese
UCA

McNeese72
October 28th, 2018, 11:25 PM
SHSU at IWU
NWST at ACU
Nicholls at HBU
McNeese at SLU
Lamar at UCA
SFA at BYE U. That BYE defense is just too tought for SFA. ;)

FormerPokeCenter
October 28th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Lamar at UCA- It's like a curse. One game lose our head coach. One game lose two QBs. One game lose 3 OL. Why not?!

I see what you did there....

Katfan
October 29th, 2018, 08:59 AM
UIW -Davis is probably out. So there goes half of our sputtering offense
ACU
Nichols
McNeese
Lamar
Bye

McCowboys
October 29th, 2018, 09:04 AM
UIW -Davis is probably out. So there goes half of our sputtering offense
ACU
Nichols
McNeese
Lamar
Bye

The awful thing about football is when the really awesome players are injured. Speedy recovery to Mr. Davis! Is he out for the year or is there a possibility he can return before the end of the season?

Daytripper
October 29th, 2018, 09:30 AM
The awful thing about football is when the really awesome players are injured. Speedy recovery to Mr. Davis! Is he out for the year or is there a possibility he can return before the end of the season?

Last I heard was a hyper-extended knee. At least not an ACL/MCL as far as I know.

BEAR
October 29th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Here's where I think we stand on playoff possibilities for the SLC: Still about 3 games to be played for most but I just don't see a 4 loss team making it to an at-large:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29378&stc=1

McNeese- I wasn't impressed with much of their defense. They allowed 13 passes that averaged 22 yards each against UCA but most were caught with only 8 yards in hand. That's 14 YAC! Yikes! Run defense allowed UCA 5 yards per carry. Positives for McNeese- They held the ball for 50 rushes for 40 minutes of the clock. The other team can't score if you can keep them off the field and not let them get into rythm. Game planning is good there too. But even with the win it seems like McNeese is throwing in the kitchen sink trying to survive with alternating QBs and trick plays. Smoke and mirrors as FPC would say. It worked Saturday but I don't see it working long term the rest of the year or the first round of the playoffs.

Nicholls- I believe they will be the bubble team if they get by HBU (no problem), SFA (should be a win), and SLU (this is the game I think MAY trip them up. If not, enjoy the road trip to some eastern state that is 40 below. xlolx

UCA- On its 3rd string QB getting experience (good and bad) as he goes. Lost 3 Olinemen last game. Traditionally slow to start scoring. I think that fact has lost too many games. Even if they win out and SOMEHOW make an at large team due to some other SLC teams faltering, its a quick out in the playoffs. However they are only ONE loss away from seriously NOT being considered with Lamar (ouch), IWU (ugh), and ACU (away)...I don't see them running the table. How quickly a team can go one day on the edge of possibly leading the conference to the next on the edge of not making the playoffs. Woah. THat was a HUGE call by conference officials in the fourth. A season defining. xlolx

SHSU- talk about bipolar. They seem to be just surviving. They have IWU, ACU and HBU (easy win) left so this game Saturday may decide if their season is over with 4 losses. Did I hear Davis is hurt and out? Ouch. IWU may be a tough W.

IWU, ACU, LAMAR, SLU, NWST, SFA, HBU- All playing for pride and to ruin playoff chances for the 4 remaining teams.

McNeese72
October 29th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Nice tackle by No. 77 on this play. ;)

https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1056359549152546818

Doc

BEAR
October 29th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Nice tackle by No. 77 on this play. ;)

https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/status/1056359549152546818

Doc

That was a heck of a run by Carlos. I rewatched the catch by Dillard in the 4th to see if there was ANY way he was bobbling it or didn't have possession when that foot was down...and I couldn't find anything. Every angle has him holding it with that foot down. What were the officials looking at to call it a non-catch? Kid just dropped one down the middle of the field and made sure he was holding it AND had his foot down. If you see something on the ESPN replay let me know. I just don't see a bobble ball at all!

Sammy94
October 29th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Man I wonder what UCA would have done if the refs let that catch stand, not sure what they saw to overturn it but it looked like a great catch. Now to this week:

Sam over IWU, yes Davis is out but his back up had a career day on Sat. , next man up. I really wish this game was in Huntsville. Homer pick for sure. The other winners are:
ACU
UCA
McNeese
Nicholls

Outsider1
October 29th, 2018, 02:01 PM
This has just been a crazy year for the SLC. I knew there would be some mixing up, but I never imagined as much as we have seen. It seems even the top teams are beginning to struggle a little to hang on.

SHSU at IWU - I was really surprised how much Nicholls shut them down, but they did. I don't know how much injuries are stacking up on either side, but I picked UIW last time and they lost so going with Sammy.
NWST at ACU - The bye kind of scares me, but I think the mentality and culture of this team has changed enough that they will come out of it in better shape and prepared. We are definitely playing better now than we were in the beginning and injuries seem to be manageable, so in that case, the bye gives us an even better edge.
Nicholls at HBU - Nicholls seems to be back in form and playing well, so no reason to expect any upsets here.
McNeese at SLU - Even if McNeese doesn't play all 4 qtrs like they do the 1st qtr they should have this one.
Lamar at UCA - Lamar seems to be a tricky call this year, but still going with the Bears.
SFA at BYE U. - This one is even harder, but think the Jacks pull it out, even with a new coach.

McCowboys
October 29th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Here's where I think we stand on playoff possibilities for the SLC: Still about 3 games to be played for most but I just don't see a 4 loss team making it to an at-large:

McNeese- I wasn't impressed with much of their defense. They allowed 13 passes that averaged 22 yards each against UCA but most were caught with only 8 yards in hand. That's 14 YAC! Yikes! Run defense allowed UCA 5 yards per carry. Positives for McNeese- They held the ball for 50 rushes for 40 minutes of the clock. The other team can't score if you can keep them off the field and not let them get into rythm. Game planning is good there too. But even with the win it seems like McNeese is throwing in the kitchen sink trying to survive with alternating QBs and trick plays. Smoke and mirrors as FPC would say. It worked Saturday but I don't see it working long term the rest of the year or the first round of the playoffs.

Nicholls- I believe they will be the bubble team if they get by HBU (no problem), SFA (should be a win), and SLU (this is the game I think MAY trip them up. If not, enjoy the road trip to some eastern state that is 40 below. xlolx

UCA- On its 3rd string QB getting experience (good and bad) as he goes. Lost 3 Olinemen last game. Traditionally slow to start scoring. I think that fact has lost too many games. Even if they win out and SOMEHOW make an at large team due to some other SLC teams faltering, its a quick out in the playoffs. However they are only ONE loss away from seriously NOT being considered with Lamar (ouch), IWU (ugh), and ACU (away)...I don't see them running the table. How quickly a team can go one day on the edge of possibly leading the conference to the next on the edge of not making the playoffs. Woah. THat was a HUGE call by conference officials in the fourth. A season defining. xlolx

SHSU- talk about bipolar. They seem to be just surviving. They have IWU, ACU and HBU (easy win) left so this game Saturday may decide if their season is over with 4 losses. Did I hear Davis is hurt and out? Ouch. IWU may be a tough W.

IWU, ACU, LAMAR, SLU, NWST, SFA, HBU- All playing for pride and to ruin playoff chances for the 4 remaining teams.

Bear, this made me laugh! Just how many trick plays did McNeese actually run? You have made it sound as if the Cowboys have become the Harlem Globetrotters of FCS! In actuality, I remember one flea-flicker type play. Please remind me of the "kitchen sink" McNeese used. Smoke and mirrors? Because McNeese substituted a more mobile QB? Quite a lot of hyperbole from someone who is normally on point. Three regular season games remain, two against in-state foes. Like with UCA, our recent history against SLU has not been that good. If the McNeese coaches feel it is necessary to throw out the kitchen sink to beat the Lions, so be it -- the Lions have certainly thrown it at McNeese on more than one occasion. Many things to be corrected for the Pokes if they want to claim a victory in Hammond.

Controlling the ball for 38-plus minutes against your or any defense is quite impressive. There were some nice time-consuming drives by the home team. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Well,,,,I hesitate to call our offense good, but it did control the ball and keep it out of the hands of the Bears explosive offense for the most part. And it scored more points than the UCA offense.

The Cowboys defense is banged up as many McNeese fans pointed out. Yes, there were awful breakdowns that surely need to be fixed. Still, the Cowboys defense held UCA to 0/10 on third downs and intercepted a Bears pass in the endzone. What a game-changing play that might have been! Maybe that should have been 1/10 for the Bears on third downs. What might have happened then? God only knows. But most coaches would say games are not won or lost on one play. The Bears special teams definitely had a hand in this loss. The McNeese punter was out of this world as was the field goal kicker.

Sorry about the injuries to your offensive line. McNeese has lost many players on offense and defense for the year as well. Nothing but good wishes for UCA for the rest of the season, unless both of the teams are fortunate to make the playoffs and face once again.

- - - Updated - - -

Bear, this made me laugh! Just how many trick plays did McNeese actually run? You have made it sound as if the Cowboys have become the Harlem Globetrotters of FCS! In actuality, I remember one flea-flicker type play. Please remind me of the "kitchen sink" McNeese used. Smoke and mirrors? Because McNeese substituted a more mobile QB? Quite a lot of hyperbole from someone who is normally on point. Three regular season games remain, two against in-state foes. Like with UCA, our recent history against SLU has not been that good. If the McNeese coaches feel it is necessary to throw out the kitchen sink to beat the Lions, so be it -- the Lions have certainly thrown it at McNeese on more than one occasion. Many things to be corrected for the Pokes if they want to claim a victory in Hammond.

Controlling the ball for 38-plus minutes against your or any defense is quite impressive. There were some nice time-consuming drives by the home team. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Well,,,,I hesitate to call our offense good, but it did control the ball and keep it out of the hands of the Bears explosive offense for the most part. And it scored more points than the UCA offense.

The Cowboys defense is banged up as many McNeese fans pointed out. Yes, there were awful breakdowns that surely need to be fixed. Still, the Cowboys defense held UCA to 0/10 on third downs and intercepted a Bears pass in the endzone. What a game-changing play that might have been! Maybe that should have been 1/10 for the Bears on third downs. What might have happened then? God only knows. But most coaches would say games are not won or lost on one play. The Bears special teams definitely had a hand in this loss. The McNeese punter was out of this world as was the field goal kicker.

Sorry about the injuries to your offensive line. McNeese has lost many players on offense and defense for the year as well. Nothing but good wishes for UCA for the rest of the season, unless both of the teams are fortunate to make the playoffs and face once again.

McNeese72
October 29th, 2018, 04:00 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I can only remember two unusual plays. The reverse off the jet sweep and the double pass that went to Cam Smith and then back to Cody Orgeron. Actually, the play was meant for Cam to throw downfield with the ball but he didn't have time as he had a guy in his face so he threw back to Cody. It was a good way to start a career for a freshman. He is 1 for 1 on his career right now. ;)

Other than that, there was no other trickery.

Doc

BEAR
October 29th, 2018, 04:07 PM
xlolx I think I gave you the wrong impression. xlolx I agree, trick plays are just that, rarely used. I think it was the flea flicker, also the pass to the QB Orgeron, bringing in Tabary in the second when Orgeron was doing so well (I was told that was a tradition later), but more than those it was the overall theme all game that you guys appeared to only want small gains to control the clock and that is so NOT Cowboy football I've watched for decades. You guys are usually aggressive on offense and quick on defense. But not on Saturday. That's the smoke you played that game IMO. As I said it was good game planning by your team. I just couldn't find the right words to say it here. Our offense was 0/10 on 3rd down drives against McNeese. 3/17 on SFA. 3/12 against HBU. 5/18 against SHSU. 4/14 against SLU. You get the picture. We don't move past second down. xlolx So if we don't score quick or get a first down quickly we don't do anything. It's one of the reasons I'm not too concerned with making the playoffs. I honestly don't think we will win out anyway even if we were granted that catch late in the game. Lamar and IWU await and ACU is waiting at their house. UGh. xsmhx

McGeaux
October 29th, 2018, 05:37 PM
SHSU at IWU
NWST at ACU
Nicholls at HBU
McNeese at SLU
Lamar at UCA
SFA at BYE U.

FormerPokeCenter
October 29th, 2018, 07:17 PM
So I went back and rewatched UCA's non-catch on 3rd and 10 during their last possesssion....He got a foot down, but I think it's pretty clear he didn't have possession until after he hit the ground, out of bounds....

I originally thought UCA got hosed on this, but after downloading it, and watching that play several times, frame by frame, I think the SLC refs actually made the right call.

BEAR
October 29th, 2018, 07:35 PM
So I went back and rewatched UCA's non-catch on 3rd and 10 during their last possesssion....He got a foot down, but I think it's pretty clear he didn't have possession until after he hit the ground, out of bounds....

I originally thought UCA got hosed on this, but after downloading it, and watching that play several times, frame by frame, I think the SLC refs actually made the right call.

A catch is in the eye of the beholder I guess. xlolx The announcers gave a pretty solid defense of a catch with their angles but it is what it is.

FormerPokeCenter
October 29th, 2018, 10:07 PM
I saw that...and they stopped it when his foot was down and offered the commentary that it was a catch...but...if you play that same angle just let it run, you see movement of the ball and when he hits the ground he finally gets control on it....it's a tough call..and - again - I initially thought you guys got hosed..

There's an app out there, "Replay Video Capture" that you can download that pulls down ESPN videos. There's a trial period that lets you download clips of a game...you fire up the app, open ESPN3 on your browser, find the portion of the replay you're interested in, and then hit record on the app...you've got a couple of minutes of recording time. If you purchase the app, you can record the whole thing...select full screen on the playback, and then hit record...it'll fill the frame with the action...I've go QuickTime Pro, so I run the video through that and break it down into a component image sequence...with Picasa's Photo viewer, I can advance it frame by frame...it's helpful for really examining what's going on in videos...

Lurker
October 29th, 2018, 10:14 PM

We didn’t lose 3 OL. Backup tackle went down. RG went down with rolled ankle then LG with elbow. RG came back in when LG went down.

Outsider1
November 1st, 2018, 12:51 PM
How are fans feeling about this weekend? We seem to be a little quiet. I know us Cat fans are a little slow coming out of the bye and wanting to make sure our streak continues. I don't know if we don't want to jinx anything, but even on our own forum we are more quiet than we had been even when we were doing bad. I wonder if how the SLC season has gone has caused some end of the season uneasiness?

McNeese72
November 1st, 2018, 01:29 PM
How are fans feeling about this weekend? We seem to be a little quiet. I know us Cat fans are a little slow coming out of the bye and wanting to make sure our streak continues. I don't know if we don't want to jinx anything, but even on our own forum we are more quiet than we had been even when we were doing bad. I wonder if how the SLC season has gone has caused some end of the season uneasiness?

Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen next in the conference. I start playing the pick'em game for the first time this season and the whole conference goes crazy. ;)

Doc

Outsider1
November 3rd, 2018, 11:20 AM
It's game day guys and gals, bring it on!!!

bwbear
November 3rd, 2018, 12:28 PM
I'm sure every team in the conference feels like this, but it seems like every week is, "Please just survive this week."

Pards Rule
November 3rd, 2018, 01:06 PM
Half HC 17 Lafayette 14...all points with wind today

Wildcat1997
November 3rd, 2018, 04:41 PM
I'm sure every team in the conference feels like this, but it seems like every week is, "Please just survive this week."That's definitely how I'm feeling against NW St. right now lol

Wildcat1997
November 3rd, 2018, 05:33 PM
ACU hangs on for the win 49-47. With everything that went wrong for us in the game It's a miracle we won.

Outsider1
November 3rd, 2018, 08:59 PM
I am defintely feeling uneasy every week and, although I push for more than survival, I worry about every game we play. Are injuries really making big differences for some teams right now? Are the improved teams really that good? Are some of us shooting ourselves in the foot? Here are how my projections turned out; not very good for the second pick'em week. I get upset at our team still, but I also realize how good some other teams are actually playing. How these teams would fair against other conferences right now I wonder.

SHSU at IWU - I was not only wrong, but wrong big.
NWST at ACU - I was almost wrong, we barely escaped only because time ran out.
Nicholls at HBU - Right, but only because Nicholls seems to be fairly stable and HBU just hasn't improved as much as other teams.
McNeese at SLU - Wrong again.
Lamar at UCA - On my way to being wrong unless UCA has a breakout 4th qtr.
SFA at BYE U. - _ was right, but onlu by luck.