PDA

View Full Version : Montana meltdown

mvfcfan
October 28th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Was looking at scores yesterday and saw that Montana was winning 21-13 against UCD heading into the 4th quarter. UCD ended up winning 49-21.

What happened? How do you get outscored 36-0 in the 4th quarter?

To make things worse Montana was winning 21-3 at the half. So 46-0 in the second half.

Schism55
October 28th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Fire-able offense?? :D

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Was looking at scores yesterday and saw that Montana was winning 21-13 against UCD heading into the 4th quarter. UCD ended up winning 49-21.

To make things worse Montana was winning 21-3 at the half. So 46-0 in the second half.

It's called Bobby ball xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2018, 09:38 AM
In all fairness Hauck needs time to get players he recruited into the system but it sure looks ugly right now.

MR. CHICKEN
October 28th, 2018, 10:12 AM
....MONTE.......STAY OUTTAH DUH TREES............BRAWK!

SeattleGriz
October 28th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Montana played very inspired and mistake free the first half. Simply put, the wheels fell off and we reverted back to our regular selves.

Ill stick with my usual defense. Montana is on their 4th head coach in 8 years, coupled with a decimated offensive line and we see how they have consistency problems.

I believe on three straight possessions we had a QB fumble, interception and interception deep in our own territory.

Silenoz
October 28th, 2018, 01:47 PM
So, basketball season?

Someone wake me up if NDSU gets upset in the playoff so something interesting has a chance of happening.

BlueGoldAg
October 28th, 2018, 02:28 PM

This game was a tale of two halves and I think there were several factors that turned the game around so dramatically for the Aggies in the second half:

1. This is the third opponent that the Aggies have played who were coming off a bye week with two weeks to prepare and get more healthy. The Griz were well prepared for the Aggies in the first half and it showed.

2. Wa-Griz Stadium was packed, loud and boisterous, in the first half especially, and the Aggies did not handle the noise well in the first half. UCD had 5 false starts in the first half alone. Aggie WR, Keelan Doss, said the noise "bothered" the team and QB, Jake Maier, said the Montana defensive sets and blitzes were difficult to figure out in the first half and kept the Aggies off balance.

3. The Griz and their fans were sky high in the first half and that intensity was reflected on the field. The Ags had 3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and two false starts on one series alone in the first half. There were some chippy things happening on the field and the Aggies did not handle it very well. Coach Hawkins got flagged for one of the conduct penalties when he protested a play in which a Montana player was twisting the ankle of Aggie WR Jared Harrell after a tackle. That was Hawkins first conduct penalty in 35 years of coaching so one would think that he saw something pretty egregious.

4. The Ags made some great adjustments to Montana's defensive schemes in the second half. This is the third straight game in which the Aggies have rallied from a two score deficit to win the game. Last week the Ags put up 52 unanswered points on Cal Poly after trailing 10-0 after the first quarter and now we put up 46 unanswered points in the second half after trailing 21-3 at the break. We've seen the Aggie offense explode like this all season long. They have the ability to score quickly and in bunches once they get the momentum going.

5. The Aggies settled down and handled their emotions and the crowd much better in the second half and the Aggie offense took advantage of some Montana turnovers. Even when the tide changed and the Ags seized the momentum with TD after TD there was very little celebrating by the Aggies. They stayed focused and business like and played the second half with maturity and confidence.

6, The Wa-Griz Stadium environment is one of the toughest venues in all of the FCS for the visiting teams to play in and is a the best in the Big Sky Conference. The Aggies were 0-7 against the Griz going into this game and now we're one better at 1-8. Aggie fans can only hope that the Aggie program will continue to get better and be able to build our fan base to the point that the game experience at Aggie Stadium could be as good as what Montana has built over the years at Wa-Griz.

If the Aggies take care of business against Northern Arizona next week at home it will set up another monster battle when we travel to Eastern Washington in two weeks.

kalm
October 28th, 2018, 03:06 PM
This game was a tale of two halves and I think there were several factors that turned the game around so dramatically for the Aggies in the second half:

1. This is the third opponent that the Aggies have played who were coming off a bye week with two weeks to prepare and get more healthy. The Griz were well prepared for the Aggies in the first half and it showed.

2. Wa-Griz Stadium was packed, loud and boisterous, in the first half especially, and the Aggies did not handle the noise well in the first half. UCD had 5 false starts in the first half alone. Aggie WR, Keelan Doss, said the noise "bothered" the team and QB, Jake Maier, said the Montana defensive sets and blitzes were difficult to figure out in the first half and kept the Aggies off balance.

3. The Griz and their fans were sky high in the first half and that intensity was reflected on the field. The Ags had 3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and two false starts on one series alone in the first half. There were some chippy things happening on the field and the Aggies did not handle it very well. Coach Hawkins got flagged for one of the conduct penalties when he protested a play in which a Montana player was twisting the ankle of Aggie WR Jared Harrell after a tackle. That was Hawkins first conduct penalty in 35 years of coaching so one would think that he saw something pretty egregious.

4. The Ags made some great adjustments to Montana's defensive schemes in the second half. This is the third straight game in which the Aggies have rallied from a two score deficit to win the game. Last week the Ags put up 52 unanswered points on Cal Poly after trailing 10-0 after the first quarter and now we put up 46 unanswered points in the second half after trailing 21-3 at the break. We've seen the Aggie offense explode like this all season long. They have the ability to score quickly and in bunches once they get the momentum going.

5. The Aggies settled down and handled their emotions and the crowd much better in the second half and the Aggie offense took advantage of some Montana turnovers. Even when the tide changed and the Ags seized the momentum with TD after TD there was very little celebrating by the Aggies. They stayed focused and business like and played the second half with maturity and confidence.

6, The Wa-Griz Stadium environment is one of the toughest venues in all of the FCS for the visiting teams to play in and is a the best in the Big Sky Conference. The Aggies were 0-7 against the Griz going into this game and now we're one better at 1-8. Aggie fans can only hope that the Aggie program will continue to get better and be able to build our fan base to the point that the game experience at Aggie Stadium could be as good as what Montana has built over the years at Wa-Griz.

If the Aggies take care of business against Northern Arizona next week at home it will set up another monster battle when we travel to Eastern Washington in two weeks.

Good re-cap and #6 is spot on. It's truly an amazing atmosphere to watch a game in.

Silenoz
October 28th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Good re-cap and #6 is spot on. It's truly an amazing atmosphere to watch a game in.

Not for long it ain't. I mean people will still travel 7+ hours and drop thousands of dollars, but at some point the energy on the field has to match the energy off of it...

cx500d
October 28th, 2018, 04:06 PM

In the mvfc we would say they “farleyed that up”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueGoldAg
October 28th, 2018, 04:26 PM

Aggie fans have their fingers crossed that we can keep this going and build something special at UCD. We've been down for a long time and we're cautiously optimistic that we're on our way back. We expect we'll see a similar environment at EWU in two weeks. Looking forward to a good game there...

cx500d
October 28th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Aggie fans have their fingers crossed that we can keep this going and build something special at UCD. We've been down for a long time and we're cautiously optimistic that we're on our way back. We expect we'll see a similar environment at EWU in two weeks. Looking forward to a good game there...

Good luck I guess, but I’ve hated UCD since 1982.

BlueGoldAg
October 28th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Good luck I guess, but I’ve hated UCD since 1982.

Hahaha...those were some great games between the Bison and the Aggies way back then. I was at every one of them that were played at The Toom in Davis. NDSU always brought a nice contingent of fans to Davis. We've got a long way to go if we are ever able to be competitive with the Bison again but it sure would be fun. Good luck...who knows, maybe we'll see you in the playoffs this year and, if not, we'll see you in Fargo next season...

JALMOND
October 28th, 2018, 05:09 PM
In the mvfc we would say they “farleyed that up”

In the Pac-12, they call it "Coug-ing it". I think it was created by a Seattle Times/PI writer.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2018, 06:10 PM
In all fairness Hauck needs time to get players he recruited into the system but it sure looks ugly right now.

The problem is that Hauck has no history of making a program better than it was before he got there. That was fine during his first stint since the team was just one year removed from a national title when he came in, but that tendency certainly didn't work out for UNLV (Hauck finished with the 2nd. worst win % in UNLV history).

It could be that the results from the Stitt & Delaney eras might end up being the peak under Hauck. Hauck wouldn't have the same excuses, either, since Delaney & Stitt both had to deal with the scholarship penalties, Delaney had to deal with Jordan Johnson being suspended his first year, and Stitt had to deal with his starting QB being injured for nearly half the games he coached.

The team should be more experienced next year, but the schedule is much tougher—I doubt UM will see the fruits of Hauck's labors then (if they ever do).

cx500d
October 28th, 2018, 06:14 PM
The problem is that Hauck has no history of making a program better than it was before he got there. That was fine during his first stint since the team was just one year removed from a national title when he came in, but that tendency certainly didn't work out for UNLV (Hauck finished with the 2nd. worst win % in UNLV history).

It could be that the results from the Stitt & Delaney eras might end up being the peak under Hauck. Hauck wouldn't really have the same excuses, either, since Delaney & Stitt both had to deal with the scholarship penalties, Delaney had to deal with Jordan Johnson being suspended his first year, and Stitt had to deal with his starting QB being injured for nearly half the games he coached.

The team should be more experienced next year, but the schedule is much tougher—I doubt UM will see the fruits of Hauck's labors then (if they ever do).

Other than Oregon, which everybody expects you to lose and is essentially freebie, who is tougher?

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2018, 06:21 PM

It could be that the results from the Stitt & Delaney eras might end up being the peak under Hauck. Hauck wouldn't have the same excuses, either, since Delaney & Stitt both had to deal with the scholarship penalties, Delaney had to deal with Jordan Johnson being suspended his first year, and Stitt had to deal with his starting QB being injured for nearly half the games he coached.

Well you would know better as I didn't pay any attention to Hauck in his first stint in Montana but I do know you are correct on the UNLV tenure Hauck had. They were only to happy to see him go. I didn't know about his recruiting issues though. If that's the case you guys are in trouble.

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2018, 06:23 PM
Other than Oregon, which everybody expects you to lose and is essentially freebie, who is tougher?

The Griz have to play EWU, Idaho State, and Weber, who they dodged this year. They also play Davis on the road and have to play a likely healthier Sac State team on the road, too.

cx500d
October 28th, 2018, 06:36 PM
The Griz have to play EWU, Idaho State, and Weber, who they dodged this year. They also play Davis on the road and have to play a likely healthier Sac State team on the road, too.

OK, so standard big fluffy....nuff said.

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Well you would know better as I didn't pay any attention to Hauck in his first stint in Montana but I do know you are correct on the UNLV tenure Hauck had. They were only to happy to see him go. I didn't know about his recruiting issues though. If that's the case you guys are in trouble.
Recruiting issues? Take a look at how many of Hauck's players ended up in the NFL. His biggest issues were not being able to win the big one and being mean to student reporters.

cx500d
October 28th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Recruiting issues? Take a look at how many of Hauck's players ended up in the NFL. His biggest issues were not being able to win the big one and being mean to student reporters.

Did he have to get some muscle to get rid of the student reporters?

Schism55
October 28th, 2018, 07:28 PM
This is absolutely fair....but giving up 46 unanswered in the second half, at home, stinks of something very bad xeyebrowx

mvemjsunpx
October 28th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Did he have to get some muscle to get rid of the student reporters?

No, but he handled it stupidly. He cut off access to the Gameday Kaimin, even though the Gameday Kaimin is practically a pro-Griz-football propaganda rag.

BisonBacker
October 28th, 2018, 07:38 PM

I was responding to one of the Montana Posters who said as much about Haucks recruiting. If you read my post you would have read that I didn't follow Hauck and his recruiting in his first stint in Montana.

Grizalltheway
October 28th, 2018, 08:00 PM
I was responding to one of the Montana Posters who said as much about Haucks recruiting. If you read my post you would have read that I didn't follow Hauck and his recruiting in his first stint in Montana.
Yeah my bad, should have quoted mvem. Point being, his best teams were '07-'09, and those teams obviously didn't have any Glenn players left.

Silenoz
October 29th, 2018, 12:25 AM
OK, so standard big fluffy....nuff said.

xeyebrowx

This year - UC Davis
Next year - Oregon, UC Davis, Weber, EWU

....oh, I get it. You're doing that thing where NDSU fans get further detached from reality the further away from the rest of the pack they get. Just because most of the Sky might suck next year doesn't mean all three of those teams aren't very likely top 10 teams.

But yeah, we may get way better and still go 5-6

cx500d
October 29th, 2018, 06:48 AM
xeyebrowx

This year - UC Davis
Next year - Oregon, UC Davis, Weber, EWU

....oh, I get it. You're doing that thing where NDSU fans get further detached from reality the further away from the rest of the pack they get. Just because most of the Sky might suck next year doesn't mean all three of those teams aren't very likely top 10 teams.

But yeah, we may get way better and still go 5-6

I’m just busting your balls. I have more big fluffy teams in my poll currently than mvfc. Maybe because the fluffy teams haven’t started beating up on each other yet. UCD looks really good this year. Not sold on Weber yet, but until they start losing can’t ding them too much.

SochorField
October 29th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Montana's crowd, dirty play, and Sneed's legs / grit put the Ags on their heels in the first half.

After regrouping at halftime, took 'em to the woodshed.

Great experience for a young team.

MSUBobcat
October 29th, 2018, 09:48 AM
I’m just busting your balls. I have more big fluffy teams in my poll currently than mvfc. Maybe because the fluffy teams haven’t started beating up on each other yet. UCD looks really good this year. Not sold on Weber yet, but until they start losing can’t ding them too much.

https://youtu.be/NewJr7mIrT0

Grizalltheway
October 29th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Montana's crowd, dirty play, and Sneed's legs / grit put the Ags on their heels in the first half.

After regrouping at halftime, took 'em to the woodshed.

Great experience for a young team.

Funny coming from a guy whose team nearly snapped Sneed's neck with a facemask (wasn't called BTW). xthumbsupx

POD Knows
October 29th, 2018, 10:05 AM
https://youtu.be/NewJr7mIrT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_FAFAOExjQ

SochorField
October 29th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Lets not get into stuff that should have been called. xrolleyesx
Any fan who watched that game knows a strategy for Montana coming out of the gate was to get in Davis' head in any way possible. Including twisting on Jared Harrell's (WR2) knee after the whistle.
It was good strategy (got Hawkins' 1st flag ever), and it worked for 2 quarters.
That strategy doesn't win games, however.

Montana should have rolled Sneed out of the pocket more and let him create, like he was able to in the first half.

Silenoz
October 29th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Any fan who watched that game knows a strategy for Montana coming out of the gate was to get in Davis' head in any way possible. Including twisting on Jared Harrell's (WR2) knee after the whistle.
It was good strategy (got Hawkins' 1st flag ever), and it worked for 2 quarters.

Montana should have rolled Sneed out of the pocket more and let him create, like he was able to in the first half.

I didn't watch the game, but calling us dirty because a backup safety did something stupid is pretty lame xeyebrowx

I mean hell, sounds like we had two straight home games where people were trying to decapitate Sneed

Grizalltheway
October 29th, 2018, 11:00 AM

Well I think we can all agree that most Big Sky refs are in desperate need of a visit to Lenscrafters, or finding something else to do on the weekends.

SochorField
October 29th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Just saying the strategy was to knock us off our game. Lots of smack and intimidation. Some of it was questionable. But that's what happens when you are fired up. I am not saying Montana is a dirty team. I should have said "questionable play."

I'm not trying to prolong this, but Maier had a really bad facemask vs. Idaho State (If I recall correctly). Those happen a lot and are always scary. Knee twisting on the ground after the whistle does not happen a lot.

Montana absolutely played tougher in the first half.

On a different note......I need to make the trip up to Wa-Griz at least once before I expire.

Reign of Terrier
October 29th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Make Montana Football Great Again dad gummit

MR. CHICKEN
October 29th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Make Montana Football Great Again dad gummit

.....YOUSE....LIVE IN....MAYBERRY....xconfusedx......AWQ!

POD Knows
October 29th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Doesn't anybody out west get these games posted out on Youtube or something. I need to see this epic comeback. The freaking NDSU USD game is out there, nobody has access to that stupid network the Big Sky uses.

Any hints on how to watch a reply of this game.

AggieFinn
October 29th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Well I think we can all agree that most Big Sky refs are in desperate need of a visit to Lenscrafters, or finding something else to do on the weekends.

Funny coming from a guy whose team nearly snapped Sneed's neck with a facemask (wasn't called BTW). xthumbsupx

They missed that facemask.

bobcathpdevil56
October 29th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Doesn't anybody out west get these games posted out on Youtube or something. I need to see this epic comeback. The freaking NDSU USD game is out there, nobody has access to that stupid network the Big Sky uses.

Any hints on how to watch a reply of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=frank+reich+comeback+game

POD Knows
October 29th, 2018, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=frank+reich+comeback+game**** , good one but I was talking about the Montana Melt Down or will any and all video of this forever be destroyed.

mvemjsunpx
October 29th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I didn't watch the game, but calling us dirty because a backup safety did something stupid is pretty lame xeyebrowx

Sandry is actually a starter, not that it really matters.

SochorField
October 29th, 2018, 04:56 PM
https://twitter.com/UCDfootball/status/1056331367284273152

SochorField
October 29th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Some of those throws by Jake Maier though xbowx

BlueGoldAg
October 29th, 2018, 06:30 PM
****, good one but I was talking about the Montana Melt Down or will any and all video of this forever be destroyed.

You can watch the replay of the game here: https://bigskyconf.com/sports/2015/11/19/WatchBigSky.aspx

Use the "previous back arrow" to scroll back to October 27 and you see the Big Sky games listed. Give it a moment to load...it's a little finicky but it will play.

cx500d
October 29th, 2018, 07:11 PM
I think I had a Montana meltdown at the Missoula Club. Got it with grilled onions and horseradish.