PDA

View Full Version : Astro Turf

jmt21
March 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know of any FCS school that still have the old astro turf in their stadium?

slostang
March 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know of any FCS school that still have the old astro turf in their stadium?
North Dakota State
Sam Houston State

Reed Rothchild
March 31st, 2007, 10:54 AM
UNI in the Dome

OB55
March 31st, 2007, 10:56 AM
That crap is a knee killer, dispose with extreme prejudice.xreadx

patssle
March 31st, 2007, 12:01 PM
You can remove SHSU from the list after this summer!

slostang
March 31st, 2007, 12:09 PM
You can remove SHSU from the list after this summer!
Great news. What kind are they replacing it with?

89Hen
March 31st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Towson

NFLCB2
March 31st, 2007, 01:15 PM
Maine

gokats85
March 31st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Great news. What kind are they replacing it with?

So far, the astroturf will be replaced with field turf. Can't come soon enough!

PapaBear
March 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Maine

There's a big push in Orono to install FieldTurf in time for 2007 season.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but according to reports from UM athletic staff, one of the biggest hurdles to installing FieldTurf has been the friggin field hockey program. xconfusedx Apparently that little round hockey puck they slap at doesn't roll as smoothly on Fueld Turf as it does on AstroTurf. (I know of at least one VERY successful, nationally ranked HS field hockey program that plays all their hoime games on FieldTurf.)

Anyway, let's hope sanity prevails, and they get rid of that glorified welcome mat they call a football field THIS season.

MplsBison
March 31st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Some people may prefer grass to turf. That's fine.

But astroturf must go. Now.

ASAP!

It's such a bad surface.

NDSU, UNI, and UND and USD when they move up are going to be the only teams in the US that still have it.

Hammerhead
March 31st, 2007, 02:13 PM
Are there any other FCS teams that play in domes?

Domes usually host everything from farm implement displays to monster truck shows making it hard to protect the field turf.

NDSU, UNI, and UND and USD when they move up are going to be the only teams in the US that still have it.

GOKATS
March 31st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Are there any other FCS teams that play in domes?

Domes usually host everything from farm implement displays to monster truck shows making it hard to protect the field turf.

Idaho State-and I'm not positive but they might be on the astroturf list.

eagle1
March 31st, 2007, 03:13 PM
Both Idaho State and Northern Arizona still play on the old Astro Turf. ISU's turf is so sharp that it will remove alot of skin. I hope that both of these schools get with the program and install Field Turf in their domes. Go Eagles!!!

MplsBison
March 31st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Georgia Dome, Metrodome, etc. get along fine with fieldturf.

The actual company Fieldturf also has developed a modular system consisting of hundreds of trays with fieldturf in them. When you want the playing surface, just lay the trays out. When you don't, stack them up.

Toronto Rogers Center has it.

Ronbo
March 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Portland State not only has AstroTurf but is is dangerously worn with seams and tears that trip up the players.

The Sheriff
March 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM

The actual company Fieldturf also has developed a modular system consisting of hundreds of trays with fieldturf in them. When you want the playing surface, just lay the trays out. When you don't, stack them up.

You beat me to it.

Do you think convenience is the main reason the Fargodome and The Alerus Center still have it? They both have the "magic turf" which is somehow laid out by a machine, or air, or something.... I'm not sure. But then again, the Metrodome, GeorgiaDome, RCA Dome, etc do get by with it.

Is it also true that the Fieldturf costs the same as the Astroturf? I thought I saw something that UND spent $1 million+ putting it in Memorial Stadium back in the late 90s. I could be wrong though.

NDSUFREAK
March 31st, 2007, 03:57 PM

It is just on how to pay for it. NDSU would go for it if they could find a way to pay for it now.

The Sheriff
March 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM
It is just on how to pay for it. NDSU would go for it if they could find a way to pay for it now.
I'm sure if it was a extreme priority, the bosses would find a way to get it done. I'm sure the basketball arena issue is taking precendence over every issue in the athletic dept when it comes to finding extra funds. But that's just from an outsider looking in.

bisonguy
March 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Portland State not only has AstroTurf but is is dangerously worn with seams and tears that trip up the players.

Seams are bad. NDSU and UND both have the Magic Carpet systems in place, so there are no seams on the playing surface.

The entire system can be rolled up and converted to a concrete floor for other events in less than 30 minutes with only two people.

MplsBison
March 31st, 2007, 04:51 PM
That is exactly the "magic" carpet's selling point: quick conversion.

I'd like to know the setup time using 2 guys, each driving a forklift, of the modular system.

Maybe not 30 mins, but it couldn't be more than a couple of hours. Seems like plenty of time to get it done.

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM
There's a big push in Orono to install FieldTurf in time for 2007 season.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but according to reports from UM athletic staff, one of the biggest hurdles to installing FieldTurf has been the friggin field hockey program. xconfusedx Apparently that little round hockey puck they slap at doesn't roll as smoothly on Fueld Turf as it does on AstroTurf. (I know of at least one VERY successful, nationally ranked HS field hockey program that plays all their hoime games on FieldTurf.)

Anyway, let's hope sanity prevails, and they get rid of that glorified welcome mat they call a football field THIS season.
ASU plays field hockey on the new stuff so i dont think that should be an issue!

besides the fact... who cares about field hockey!

DetroitFlyer
March 31st, 2007, 08:20 PM
We still have astroturf at Welcome Stadium, but it is supposed to be replaced with field turf before the start of the season.

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 08:30 PM
glad to hear so many schools switching over... i just wish the ncaa would outlaw it because it is dangerous!

Go...gate
March 31st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Does Cornell still have their crappy Astroturf?

Hammerhead
March 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM
PGE Park (formerly known as Civic Stadium) installed NexTurf in 2001. It does, however, have seams since it's also used for baseball games.

http://www.pgepark.com/stadium/surface/

NDSUFREAK
March 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Ohhhhh turf burns......they kill.

EKU05
March 31st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Murray State and Tennessee Tech both were still using it this past season, but I think both are switching to field turf for next year.

Uncle Buck
April 1st, 2007, 09:19 AM
ASU plays field hockey on the new stuff so i dont think that should be an issue!

besides the fact... who cares about field hockey!

As crazy as it sounds, I believe that was a big hold up at Hofstra as well. I believe they are now supposed to switch to field turf, hopefully in time for the '07 season.

Golden Eagle
April 1st, 2007, 09:33 AM
Murray State and Tennessee Tech both were still using it this past season, but I think both are switching to field turf for next year.

That's the plan at Tech. We shall see if it actually happens.

Col Hogan
April 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
This past season was our first year on Field Turf...I think it was a very wise move. But, we went from natural grass, not Astro Turf.

MplsBison
April 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
PGE Park (formerly known as Civic Stadium) installed NexTurf in 2001. It does, however, have seams since it's also used for baseball games.

Depaul recently got the fieldturf trays, so their one on campus athletic field is converted from softball to soccer fairly easily.

JALMOND
April 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM

When renovating PGE Park for AAA baseball, the Pacific Coast League insisted on no astroturf. The city had no choice but to comply.

I just don't see why all three Division I schools in Oregon use grass instead. Makes no sense to me, but none of them do.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 01:24 PM
When renovating PGE Park for AAA baseball, the Pacific Coast League insisted on no astroturf. The city had no choice but to comply.

I just don't see why all three Division I schools in Oregon use grass instead. Makes no sense to me, but none of them do.
It looks to me in the seating diagram... football only has seats on one side and one endzone... that seems really wierd for a football game

MplsBison
April 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
I just don't see why all three Division I schools in Oregon use grass instead.

Come on man.

I can maybe see NFL teams and big time BCS teams in the southeast using grass as a playing surface.

In the northwest? Never.

Rain + Rain + Rain + lower temps = not good for growing grass.

Not even Phil Knight has enough money to keep grass at Autzen looking good all season.

Model Citizen
April 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
Dayton

Monarch Nation
April 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
ODU will replace the Astro Turf at Foreman Field with Field Turf, according to Head Coach Bobby Wilder.

I couldn't be happier. Well, I could be happier, but that announcement makes me happy.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM
what conference will odu be in in 2009?

Monarch Nation
April 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
As a start-up, we'll play as an independent for two years, then we'll join the CAA where we play our other sports.

Hammerhead
April 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
Even though Oregon is the world's largest grass seed producer, the winter rains that generally start in early November would make for horrible fields for late season games. Even many high schools here have started putting in FieldTurf.

Mr. C
April 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
I was working a Junior Olympics volleyball tournament as an official this weekend in the Asheville, N.C. area at a middle school. There was a football field behind the gymnasium and it had field turf as its playing surface. The field belonged to Erwin High School. They were re-doing a press box and some other things in the stadium and it looked better than some D-I stadiums I've been to.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM
I was working a Junior Olympics volleyball tournament as an official this weekend in the Asheville, N.C. area at a middle school. There was a football field behind the gymnasium and it had field turf as its playing surface. The field belonged to Erwin High School. They were re-doing a press box and some other things in the stadium and it looked better than some D-I stadiums I've been to.
Dont you love how that works... why is it that some fcs schools can not draw a crowd or raise the money to get any bigger

UAalum72
April 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Dont you love how that works... why is it that some fcs schools can not draw a crowd or raise the money to get any bigger
I don't know it, but maybe the erwin school district is a lot wealthier than the fcs schools.

spelunker64
April 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Ohhhhh turf burns......they kill.

Yep, I've played in the Fargodome twice back in High School. We sure felt like big time players then, but the next day our arms were sure raw. xlolx

It's still the old Vikings turf isn't it in the Fargodome?

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
The old turf in Unitas Stadium is scheduled to get ripped up after the 2007 football season. FieldTurf will be installed before the 2008 lacrosse season.

BucBloc
April 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Cornell still has it, a real bad field. St Peters plays on it along with 6 other high schools. The rest of the metro area and Philly has went the field turf route in the last 1-3 years.

jessesd
April 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
HOFSTRA

andy7171
April 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Baltimore County just completed installing FieldTurf at Catonsville HS. Its the only artificial field at a public school in the County. I run at the track there and its nice!
Also a private school in Towson has a nice Field Turf field. Baltimore Lutheran School. I had never heard of the school before until I watched my brother-in-law play there last fall. A horrible program with a Class AAA field.

HensRock
April 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but according to reports from UM athletic staff, one of the biggest hurdles to installing FieldTurf has been the friggin field hockey program.

ALMOST?????
You SHOULD be embarrassed! :LOL:

BTW, I beleive Villanova also has astroturf.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
ALMOST?????
You SHOULD be embarrassed! :LOL:

BTW, I beleive Villanova also has astroturf.
haha

field hockey should never be a reason to do or not to do anything... because no one cares!

AggiePride
April 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Needs to be sent the way of the dodo bird.

THe fact visiting teams have to buy special footwear for one game is reason enough.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
IT IS DANGEROUS ALSO

Jackluv
April 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
NAU still has astroturf....hopefully they get rid of it, every player that falls has a rasberry that doesnt go away ha

WUTNDITWAA
April 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM

Google Asheville High School's sports website. The football facilities at AHS aren't the only things that outclass some D-I programs. Top notch. xnodx

Mr. C
April 2nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
I don't know it, but maybe the erwin school district is a lot wealthier than the fcs schools.
Not by the looks of the rest of the campus. Everything else is pretty average.

appfan2008
April 2nd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Not by the looks of the rest of the campus. Everything else is pretty average.
how much does field turf cost to install?xconfusedx

Mr. C
April 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
A lot (don't know how much App State's cost, but it was a bunch).

GeauxColonels
April 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
how much does field turf cost to install?xconfusedx
Depends on what needs to be done to the existing surface as well as the type of the turf. Could be in the high $100,000s to over $1,000,000

SoCon48
April 3rd, 2007, 07:17 AM
I believe ASU's field turf cost $800,000 but of course that is repalcing the old turf. Starting from scratch would be a lot higher to include the prep.
Also, I believe ASU gets some state gen fund money since it is classified as a multi-purpose facility. Much to the chagrin of some fans, KBS is not just a football stadium.

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM
I believe ASU's field turf cost $800,000 but of course that is repalcing the old turf. Starting from scratch would be a lot higher to include the prep.
Also, I believe ASU gets some state gen fund money since it is classified as a multi-purpose facility. Much to the chagrin of some fans, KBS is not just a football stadium.
I for one wouldnt mind it being just a football stadium (no track no soccer lines, no field hockey lines) but hey that is a lot of money by the way

SoCon48
April 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
I'm not one of those who are fascinated with having the seats right down to the sidelines and the joint being empty 8 months out of the year.
Works great in Montana since the fans can reach the field when they're throwing liquor bottles.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Yep, I've played in the Fargodome twice back in High School. We sure felt like big time players then, but the next day our arms were sure raw. xlolx

I believe so, so as soon as the Metrodome replaces their field turf we'll probably get it.

As I said in an earlier post, its a shame that St. Cloud State has field turf and the Fargodome does not.

Calif_Colonial
April 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
University of Dayton has Astro Turf at Welcome Stadium. I think it is 25 years old. Come on Flyer Fans, get some Fieldturf installed at Welcome!

xthumbsupx

bisonguy
April 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM

No, it's not the old Vikings turf.

That turf was only used the first year or two, then replaced with other Astroturf (from TCU??).

The Fargodome is now on it's third turf surface, which is the retractable MagicCarpet system. I can't remember exactly when it was installed, but I know it was at the same time or after the Alerus Center opened (2001), which was constructed with the MagicCarpet system.

The turf from the Metrodome was complete crap. The subsequent turf was much better. The current MagicCarpet is about as good as it gets for Astroturf. No seams on the playing surface, and a heckuva lot softer than what was on Dacotah Field.

Edit I may have switched around the Vikings/other turf. All I remember is that the first turf in the Fargodome only lasted one or two seasons.