PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-22

JALMOND
October 22nd, 2018, 01:03 AM
I know I'm early with this but I'm heading out to the Blazers basketball game tonight so I got these out this morning. Aside from Northern Colorado's big win at home against Northern Arizona, not too many surprises in the conference this past Saturday. The conference is shaping up to be a four team race for the title with two stalwarts from last year, Eastern Washington and Weber State, and two newcomers to the party in UC Davis and Idaho State. They have been the four consistent teams this season. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only as usual. Here we go.

1. UC Davis (1)---Last week won at Cal Poly 52-10, this week at Montana---Arriving at the top spot, the Aggies never slowed down in routing a hapless Cal Poly squad on the road. Speaking of the road, they hit it, going to a tough place to play this weekend.

2. Idaho State (2)---Last week lost at Liberty (FBS Independent) 48-41, this week Montana State at home---Two very close losses to two very good teams but the Bengals did not lose ground to UC Davis. But they need to get back to winning and they hope a return home will do that.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week bye, this week Idaho at home---Maybe a good time to get healthy and prepared for the stretch run for the Eagles after coming back to earth against Weber State. Coming back home this weekend but facing a rejuvenated Idaho squad.

4. Weber State (4)---Last week beat Montana State at home 34-24, this week at North Dakota---The Wildcats started off slow at home but finally woke up to stave off an upset bid. They may not have that luxury this weekend as they say goodbye to the Hawks.

5. Montana State (5)---Last week, lost at Weber State 34-24, this week at Idaho State---Things started off well for the Bobcats but they could not keep it going. The road just got tougher as they head on down to face a strong Idaho State team this week.

6. Idaho (7)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 31-12, this week at Eastern Washington---The Vandals are getting their groove back with some excellent performances as of late. But maybe a dose of reality as they have a tough conference road game this weekend.

7. Portland State (8)---Last week bye, this week at Sacramento State---The Vikings may not have wanted to see the off week come up after two good contests that put them in the middle of the standings. Can they continue their good fortunes this weekend?

8. Montana (9)---Last week bye, this week UC Davis at home---The Grizzlies have taken a big thud after starting the year with some big wins. They may be hoping things will be easy but they have a tough game coming up. Will the home field be enough to get an upset?

9. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week lost at Northern Colorado 42-14, this week Cal Poly at home---The Lumberjacks could be a case of how the mighty have fallen. Injuries after injuries have depleted this fine team to where they were hammered by winless UNC last week. Can they win this week?

10. Cal Poly (10)---Last week lost to UC Davis at home 52-10, this week at Northern Arizona---The Mustangs did not put up much of a fight last week, and now they are rewarded by facing an injury-riddled NAU team who is hungry for any type of win.

11. Northern Colorado (13)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 42-14, this week at Southern Utah---For the third straight week, the #13 ranked team came up with a big win. The Bears looked lost against Portland State but they put it all together last weekend. They may get another win this week.

12. Southern Utah (11)---Last week lost at Idaho 31-12, this week Northern Colorado at home---After getting a good win against Sacramento State, the Thunderbirds returned to losing at Idaho last weekend. But, hope on the horizon as they try to get another victory.

13. Sacramento State (12)---Last week lost to North Dakota at home 41-15, this week Portland State at home---The Hornets took another one on the chin in an ugly blowout loss at home. They stay home and get another ugly opponent this weekend. Maybe they get a win?

RECAP: 1-4 at the top with 5 lagging behind, 6-9 a good step behind and 10-13 bringing up the rear.

wapiti
October 22nd, 2018, 09:15 AM
Those rankings look pretty good to me.

It seems as though the bottom quarter of the conference has improved over last year.

MSUBobcat
October 25th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I know I'm early with this but I'm heading out to the Blazers basketball game tonight so I got these out this morning. Aside from Northern Colorado's big win at home against Northern Arizona, not too many surprises in the conference this past Saturday. The conference is shaping up to be a four team race for the title with two stalwarts from last year, Eastern Washington and Weber State, and two newcomers to the party in UC Davis and Idaho State. They have been the four consistent teams this season. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only as usual. Here we go.

1. UC Davis (1)---Last week won at Cal Poly 52-10, this week at Montana---Arriving at the top spot, the Aggies never slowed down in routing a hapless Cal Poly squad on the road. Speaking of the road, they hit it, going to a tough place to play this weekend.

2. Idaho State (2)---Last week lost at Liberty (FBS Independent) 48-41, this week Montana State at home---Two very close losses to two very good teams but the Bengals did not lose ground to UC Davis. But they need to get back to winning and they hope a return home will do that.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week bye, this week Idaho at home---Maybe a good time to get healthy and prepared for the stretch run for the Eagles after coming back to earth against Weber State. Coming back home this weekend but facing a rejuvenated Idaho squad.

4. Weber State (4)---Last week beat Montana State at home 34-24, this week at North Dakota---The Wildcats started off slow at home but finally woke up to stave off an upset bid. They may not have that luxury this weekend as they say goodbye to the Hawks.

5. Montana State (5)---Last week, lost at Weber State 34-24, this week at Idaho State---Things started off well for the Bobcats but they could not keep it going. The road just got tougher as they head on down to face a strong Idaho State team this week.

6. Idaho (7)---Last week beat Southern Utah at home 31-12, this week at Eastern Washington---The Vandals are getting their groove back with some excellent performances as of late. But maybe a dose of reality as they have a tough conference road game this weekend.

7. Portland State (8)---Last week bye, this week at Sacramento State---The Vikings may not have wanted to see the off week come up after two good contests that put them in the middle of the standings. Can they continue their good fortunes this weekend?

8. Montana (9)---Last week bye, this week UC Davis at home---The Grizzlies have taken a big thud after starting the year with some big wins. They may be hoping things will be easy but they have a tough game coming up. Will the home field be enough to get an upset?

9. Northern Arizona (6)---Last week lost at Northern Colorado 42-14, this week Cal Poly at home---The Lumberjacks could be a case of how the mighty have fallen. Injuries after injuries have depleted this fine team to where they were hammered by winless UNC last week. Can they win this week?

10. Cal Poly (10)---Last week lost to UC Davis at home 52-10, this week at Northern Arizona---The Mustangs did not put up much of a fight last week, and now they are rewarded by facing an injury-riddled NAU team who is hungry for any type of win.

11. Northern Colorado (13)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 42-14, this week at Southern Utah---For the third straight week, the #13 ranked team came up with a big win. The Bears looked lost against Portland State but they put it all together last weekend. They may get another win this week.

12. Southern Utah (11)---Last week lost at Idaho 31-12, this week Northern Colorado at home---After getting a good win against Sacramento State, the Thunderbirds returned to losing at Idaho last weekend. But, hope on the horizon as they try to get another victory.

13. Sacramento State (12)---Last week lost to North Dakota at home 41-15, this week Portland State at home---The Hornets took another one on the chin in an ugly blowout loss at home. They stay home and get another ugly opponent this weekend. Maybe they get a win?

RECAP: 1-4 at the top with 5 lagging behind, 6-9 a good step behind and 10-13 bringing up the rear.

Include MSU with the 6-9 a BIG step behind and I think you're spot on. Unfortunately. I keep thinking every week that it's going to be the week the kittens throw a wrinkle into the offense's playbook (playbook? Troy left, Troy right, Troy middle doesn't even constitute a pamphlet) but the previous coach couldn't lose the myopic glasses. Until that changes, MSU belongs in a group far away from the top 4.