PDA

View Full Version : Week 8 Ranking Wars: Northern Iowa Vs. Northern Arizona

Panthers1995
October 20th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Should UNI be in the top 10? Should Northern Arizona even receive a vote? The fact that this was even an debate last week is mind-boggling to me.

dbackjon
October 20th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Gotta pick new teams each week

Panthers1995
October 20th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Gotta pick new teams each week

Just to clarify, last week you really thought that a legitimate comparison was UNI vs NAU?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 20th, 2018, 09:14 PM
NAU is crap. Northern Colorado got their first win of the season against them....xeyebrowxxlolx

Panthers1995
October 20th, 2018, 09:22 PM
NAU is crap. Northern Colorado got their first win of the season against them....xeyebrowxxlolx

Don't forget about their "good" 40-8 loss to Missouri State. (Who got beat by 2-4 WIU 31-14 today.)

clenz
October 20th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Don't forget about their "good" 40-8 loss to Missouri State. (Who got beat by 2-4 WIU 31-14 today.)

At home with their largest crowd in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
October 20th, 2018, 10:04 PM
And no. I can’t really justify UNI in the top 10

Panthers1995
October 21st, 2018, 07:39 AM

I think there could be an argument but not a very strong one for the panthers to be in the top 10.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2018, 07:39 AM

If UNI beats Ill State they do then deserve top 10 consideration. If UNI ends the season 8-3, IMO they will be in the top 10.

Next week will even sort out the Valley even more. SDSU goes to Ill State and UNI at WIU.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2018, 07:52 AM
UNI vs SDSU is the bigger question. I'd say it's pretty clear that UNI should ranked ahead of SDSU but I'd bet my house they won't be in either the STATS or Coaches poll and I have a feeling even the AGS consensus won't be on board with that since too many voters will have the silly "I couldn't move SDSU down that far and/or UNI up that far after 1 game" excuse.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2018, 08:11 AM
UNI vs SDSU is the bigger question. I'd say it's pretty clear that UNI should ranked ahead of SDSU but I'd bet my house they won't be in either the STATS or Coaches poll and I have a feeling even the AGS consensus won't be on board with that since too many voters will have the silly "I couldn't move SDSU down that far and/or UNI up that far after 1 game" excuse.

Agree

Interesting scenario is if NDSU/SDSU/UNI/UND/Ill State all get in.

Will SDSU be funneled thru UND or NDSU or UNI? More than likely NDSU or UND. Or if a Montana school gets in....do they come to a Valley team?

I think no matter what happens NDSU will see a Valley team....again, in the playoffs....and cannot almost bet UND will be coming down 70 miles for a game.

gregatim
October 21st, 2018, 09:00 AM

Agree, the cancelled game against ISU helping SDSU. If that game isn't cancelled and both UNI and SDSU sit with identical 4-3 records it's an easy decision on where to rank them. Question is what happens if SDSU loses another one? Any chance of a seed gone?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2018, 09:02 AM
Agree, the cancelled game against ISU helping SDSU. If that game isn't cancelled and both UNI and SDSU sit with identical 4-3 records it's an easy decision on where to rank them. Question is what happens if SDSU loses another one? Any chance of a seed gone?

SDSU doesn't play well at Ill State so a loss there is possible. SDSU goes 7-3 they will be coming to NDSU...again....

POD Knows
October 21st, 2018, 09:02 AM
Agree, the cancelled game against ISU helping SDSU. If that game isn't cancelled and both UNI and SDSU sit with identical 4-3 records it's an easy decision on where to rank them. Question is what happens if SDSU loses another one? Any chance of a seed gone?I would be shocked it SDSU gets a seed with three FCS losses but the way everybody, with the exception of a few teams, are backing into this thing, who knows.

POD Knows
October 21st, 2018, 09:07 AM
SDSU doesn't play well at Ill State so a loss there is possible. SDSU goes 7-3 they will be coming to NDSU...again....I don't want to see them again, for some unknown reason, we don't match up that well against them and they seem to be really the only team that gives us trouble in this conference but they looked very poor last night against a very average or below average UNI D. I would rather beat UND by 30 in the playoffs than to have to play SDSU again. xcoffeex

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 21st, 2018, 09:09 AM
I don't want to see them again, for some unknown reason, we don't match up that well against them and they seem to be really the only team that gives us trouble in this conference but they looked very poor last night against a very average or below average UNI D. I would rather beat UND by 30 in the playoffs than to have to play SDSU again. xcoffeex

UND more than likely will be coming down I-29 with only 70 miles between the schools. But seeing SDSU in the playoffs is getting old for sure. NDSU will see some Valley team for sure....again....

RabidRabbit
October 21st, 2018, 09:18 AM
Agreed. If SDSU doesn't go 4-0 the rest of the way, no seed. UNI wins out, they're the #2 MVFC team by themselves, and will get the 2nd seed from the MVFC. IL St, likewise still can get 2nd seed from MVFC if win out. Only way for NDSU to not be the #1 MVFC team at this point is to lose 3 games, and UNI goes 4-0, Otherwise, NDSU has the tie-breaker win vs all teams that could end up with 2 losses in conference play. Extremely doubtful since NDSU only has the bottom half teams left.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2018, 09:18 AM
Agree

Interesting scenario is if NDSU/SDSU/UNI/UND/Ill State all get in.

Will SDSU be funneled thru UND or NDSU or UNI? More than likely NDSU or UND. Or if a Montana school gets in....do they come to a Valley team?

I think no matter what happens NDSU will see a Valley team....again, in the playoffs....and cannot almost bet UND will be coming down 70 miles for a game.
If both UND and SDSU are unseeded you can probably bet on a 1st round matchup of UND and SDSU with the winner going to Fargo.

Yep, I think so. If they win out they'd probably still be seeded at 8-2 but probably behind JMU/Towson and EWU/UC Davis so maybe #4 is their ceiling at the point but one more loss and they're unseeded. Two more losses and they're probably out altogether.

clenz
October 21st, 2018, 09:36 AM
If both UND and SDSU are unseeded you can probably bet on a 1st round matchup of UND and SDSU with the winner going to Fargo.

Yep, I think so. If they win out they'd probably still be seeded at 8-2 but probably behind JMU/Towson and EWU/UC Davis so maybe #4 is their ceiling at the point but one more loss and they're unseeded. Two more losses and they're probably out altogether.

Who gets seeded first/higher. 8-3 UNI or 8-2 SDSU

I know what the answer should be - but I also know what it will be and they are different answers.

TheKingpin28
October 21st, 2018, 09:40 AM

I know what the answer should be - but I also know what it will be and they are different answers.

We all know what the answer should be, but I am not convinced the committee ignores the 3/2 and looks at the H-H, in fact, I think it would be the reverse as to what they would do.

POD Knows
October 21st, 2018, 10:11 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy vote would be UNI and I would really have a hard time figuring out how SDSU would be ahead of them given the fact that UNI would finish ahead of them in the conference and hold the edge with the H to H. It wouldn't even seem to be a very tough call to me.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2018, 10:17 AM

I don't know.... the committee would have a damn tough time justifying an 8-2 SDSU over an 8-3 UNI. Unless there's politics behind the scenes I'll trust them to do the right thing.

POD Knows
October 21st, 2018, 10:36 AM
I don't know.... the committee would have a damn tough time justifying an 8-2 SDSU over an 8-3 UNI. Unless there's politics behind the scenes I'll trust them to do the right thing.Actually, if UNI finished at 7-4 and SDSU was at 8-2 that would be an interesting conversation. They would be tied in the conference with the H to H going to UNI and one of the UNI losses to an FBS team that is doing pretty well this year. I don't even see it as close with UNI at 8-3 and SDSU at 8-2, maybe Clenz knows something we don't.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2018, 11:49 AM
Actually, if UNI finished at 7-4 and SDSU was at 8-2 that would be an interesting conversation. They would be tied in the conference with the H to H going to UNI and one of the UNI losses to an FBS team that is doing pretty well this year. I don't even see it as close with UNI at 8-3 and SDSU at 8-2, maybe Clenz knows something we don't.
That would be an interesting debate but, unless Montana goes on a tear to end the season, I think that loss in Missoula would come back to bite UNI in that scenario.

cx500d
October 21st, 2018, 09:54 PM
I don't know.... the committee would have a damn tough time justifying an 8-2 SDSU over an 8-3 UNI. Unless there's politics behind the scenes I'll trust them to do the right thing.

I'm trying to figure out how a 1-11 UNH makes it into the playoffs....

grizband
October 22nd, 2018, 12:56 AM
I'm trying to figure out how a 1-11 UNH makes it into the playoffs....
Tradition...!! xrotatehx

clenz
October 22nd, 2018, 08:27 AM

Actually, if UNI finished at 7-4 and SDSU was at 8-2 that would be an interesting conversation. They would be tied in the conference with the H to H going to UNI and one of the UNI losses to an FBS team that is doing pretty well this year. I don't even see it as close with UNI at 8-3 and SDSU at 8-2, maybe Clenz knows something we don't.

They won’t have a hard time with it. It’s simple.

SDSU started the season higher.
They’ll be higher after the H2H still
Both keep winning and no one will have the balls to jump UNI over SDSU if they didn’t already do it by this weeks poll.

UNI is ahead of SDSU in basically every computer model, but I think we’re seeing a push away from computers

8-2 SDSU gets seeded higher - by multiple lines - than an 8-3 UNI

POD Knows
October 22nd, 2018, 08:31 AM

Both keep winning and no one will have the balls to jump UNI over SDSU if they didn’t already do it by this weeks poll.

UNI is ahead of SDSU in basically every computer model, but I think we’re seeing a push away from computers

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYea, I didn't say that SDSU couldn't be rated or seeded higher than UNI with the 8-2/8-3 record deal but basic logic and knowledge should prevail, but it might not. ****, who am I kidding, you are screwed unless ISUr beats them.

F'N Hawks
October 22nd, 2018, 08:46 AM
Craig Haley has SDSU at #4 and UNI at #11.

clenz
October 22nd, 2018, 08:48 AM
Craig Haley has SDSU at #4 and UNI at #11.

My point exactly.

SDSU at 8 wins is probably a 3 seed.
UNI at 8 wins maybe slips into a 7. If at all

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2018, 09:00 AM

The committee doesn't always align with the polls, especially not the **** national polls. There's numerous examples but the biggest off the top of my head was SHSU in 2016 who was ranked #1 or #2 for the last half of the season in both the STATS and Coaches polls and was seeded #5. While their initial rankings release have been hit or miss when they started doing that over the last couple years they've been pretty good I think about getting it (mostly) right come bracket time and I think you'd be wrong that they seed an 8-3 UNI under (or not at all) a seeded 8-2 SDSU.

And there's still a lot of football to be played for both teams to get to that point anyway.

PantherRob82
October 22nd, 2018, 09:02 AM
There's another possibility that I don't feel like has been discussed much. Isn't it also possible that SDSU isn't that great? Their best win is Montana State who isn't looking that hot. They played NDSU close, but that's a rivalry.

CappinHard
October 22nd, 2018, 10:18 AM
There's another possibility that I don't feel like has been discussed much. Isn't it also possible that SDSU isn't that great? Their best win is Montana State who isn't looking that hot. They played NDSU close, but that's a rivalry.

Yes, it is definitely possible that SDSU isn't that great. However, it is also possible (and more likely) that injuries have taken a large toll. Injuries to the O line in particular were the biggest contributing factor to the outcome against UNI. Injuries to the top two RBs didn't help either. If this team is healthy, it's a top 5 team. In the current state, it's a top 15 team, which it looked like on Saturday. Basically a one score loss to a team that should be in the top 15 is nothing to scoff at.

Bison56
October 22nd, 2018, 10:58 AM

Fact is they haven't beat anyone that matters.

gregatim
October 22nd, 2018, 02:36 PM
Yes, it is definitely possible that SDSU isn't that great. However, it is also possible (and more likely) that injuries have taken a large toll. Injuries to the O line in particular were the biggest contributing factor to the outcome against UNI. Injuries to the top two RBs didn't help either. If this team is healthy, it's a top 5 team. In the current state, it's a top 15 team, which it looked like on Saturday. Basically a one score loss to a team that should be in the top 15 is nothing to scoff at.

SDSU is damn good team. Not very many teams are going to fair very well when you lose that many guys to injury, especially the o-line, and play on the road. SDSU needs to win this week and be seeded as they are really going to need that bye week.

Preferred Walk-On
October 22nd, 2018, 02:42 PM

Unfortunately, injuries and whether a team is great are not mutually exclusive. A team may have been great, then had injuries, and now are not as great. It is possible that SDSU is not as great as they once were or could have been, but the season is not over. Quite honestly, I agree with a comment within this thread that SDSU just seems to match up with NDSU better than others more often than not. That is likely the rivalry and familiarity factory.

Preferred Walk-On
October 22nd, 2018, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, injuries and whether a team is great are not mutually exclusive. A team may have been great, then had injuries, and now are not as great. It is possible that SDSU is not as great as they once were or could have been, but the season is not over. Quite honestly, I agree with a comment within this thread that SDSU just seems to match up with NDSU better than others more often than not. That is likely the rivalry and familiarity factory.

BTW, this goes for UNI as well (the rivalry and familiarity part), and they seem to be playing really good football lately (see my thoughts on AGS Top 25 thread).