PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbits ready to open Spring Ball

89rabbit
March 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM
http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/NewsDetail55273.cfm?Id=46,5872

Spring football to start March 31

The South Dakota State University football team will begin preparation for the 2007 season on Saturday, when it holds its first spring practice.

The Jackrabbits, who finished the 2006 season ranked 21st in the final College Sporting News Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) poll, return 41 lettermen, including 18 starters. SDSU, coached by John Stiegelmeier, ended the 2006 campaign with a 7-4 overall record, including a 3-1 mark in the Great West Football Conference en route to a runner-up finish. . . . (read more)

PantherRob82
March 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Looking forward to coming up this fall.

igo4uni
March 29th, 2007, 08:00 PM
http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/NewsDetail55273.cfm?Id=46,5872

Spring football to start March 31

The South Dakota State University football team will begin preparation for the 2007 season on Saturday, when it holds its first spring practice.

The Jackrabbits, who finished the 2006 season ranked 21st in the final College Sporting News Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) poll, return 41 lettermen, including 18 starters. SDSU, coached by John Stiegelmeier, ended the 2006 campaign with a 7-4 overall record, including a 3-1 mark in the Great West Football Conference en route to a runner-up finish. . . . (read more)

You've still got snow on the ground, right???xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

89rabbit
March 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
You've still got snow on the ground, right???xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

I'm in Kansas City, so I don't know. The grass is green and needs to be mowed down here. I will be in SD for Easter I will give you a report then. ;)

89rabbit
April 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070406/SPORTS0202/704060325/1002/SPORTS

SDSU has quarterback dilemma
Entering spring football, Jackrabbits searching for two signal callers

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
Published: April 6, 2007

The South Dakota State football team has 19 seniors-to-be and 18 returning starters, but at the beginning of spring practice it's looking for not one quarterback but two.

Vacancies at strong safety - a position described by coach John Stiegelmeier as the quarterback of the defense - and quarterback are the most pressing issues for the Jackrabbits as they look to build on the 7-4 record and No. 21 ranking they earned in their third season at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision level, formerly Division I-AA.

"I think the whole team looks at who the quarterback is, and I think the defense pays attention or looks at more closely who the starting safeties are," said Stiegelmeier, who began his 11th season as the head coach at his alma mater earlier this week with the first of 15 spring workouts. "There's no doubt that getting guys in these important positions is a priority and will be a comforting decision for the football team when they know who's there." . . . (read more)

P.S. No snow on the ground. ;)

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 9th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Well damn, we had snow on the ground here in Virginia this past Easter weekend! xrotatehx

jessesd
April 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM
lets get ready to rumble!!!!!!!

Ivytalk
April 9th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Tell me, was Tom Brokaw SDSU or USD?xconfusedx

And do USD and SDSU hate each other as much as UND and NDSU?

filbert
April 9th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Nobody hates each other as much as the Sioux and the Bison . . . :p

SiouxFallsJack
April 9th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Brokaw was usd.

89rabbit
April 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
http://www.brookingsregister.com/fe_view_article.php?story_id=806&page_id=77&heading=0

SDSU football trying to fill spaces for ‘07 season

BY: Adrian Martin

The South Dakota State football team is coming off a successful season, but at first glance this spring, the squad appears to have more question marks than they had wins last fall.

Several of the Jackrabbits’ key players will not be returning next season, including quarterback Andy Kardoes, wide receiver Micah Johnson and running back Anthony Watson, who is SDSU's second all-time leading rusher.

Kardoes threw for 1,997 yards and was a big part of the Jacks' comeback last season after the team started 0-3. Despite a season marred by injuries, he had 13 touchdowns, scrambled for 233 yards and helped SDSU to four come-from-behind victories during the team's seven-game winning streak.

Overall, SDSU finished with a 7-4 record in 2006 and was runner-up in the Great West Football Conference. The Jacks were also ranked No. 21 by the Football Championship Subdivision's (formerly Division I-AA) College Sporting New's coaches' poll.

SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier, who will be returning for his 11th season with the Jacks, said choosing a replacement for Kardoes will be a tough process.

"I see spring ball being tremendously important to find out who the No. 1 n guy is going into fall camp," Stiegelmeier said. "Our guys understand that they compete every day. We've got four guys battling (for quarterback) so the guy that comes out in spring ball will be a step ahead." . . . (read more)

89rabbit
April 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/media/storage/paper484/news/2007/04/25/Sports/Spring.Allows.Team.To.Solidify-2880631.shtml

Spring allows team to solidify
The Jackrabbits enter spring ball still feeling the pain of losing the conference championship.

Ariy-El Boynton

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper484/stills/p33ar5mm.jpg
Media Credit: John Nelson
Coach John Stiegelmeier watches his players perform during an early morning practice on April 24.

Spring football is a time for the team to work on getting better and establishing the depth chart. The team focuses on learning the offensive and defensive systems, while incorporating some new aspects the coaches learned on professional visits during the offseason to other colleges.

"The neat thing about spring ball is we don't have a game we have to get ready for. We can focus on becoming a better team," Head Coach John Stiegelmeier said. "Our deal is to teach more than to beat on each other." . . . (read more)

GoGuins
April 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Looking forward to coming up this fall.

And looking forward for the Jackrabbits trip to Ytownxthumbsupx

89rabbit
April 29th, 2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/SPORTS0202/704290338/1002/SPORTS

Berry shines at QB for Jacks in spring game
Injuries took toll on squad during practices

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
Published: April 29, 2007

BROOKINGS - The quarterback situation during South Dakota State's spring football season had been described as cloudy. Then again, so had the weather.

That changed Saturday.

A still and sunny day drew a crowd of 500-plus - not bad for a school not named Alabama, coach John Stiegelmeier said with a smile - and junior quarterback Ryan Berry led the SDSU offense to both of its touchdowns and a total of 22 points in a 34-28 victory against the defense at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

The most game experienced of the four players vying to replace all-Great West Football Conference pick Andy Kardoes, Berry was the second quarterback to work with the first offense yet he sparked a touchdown drive on his first series and finished 11 of 16 for 172 yards as the Jackrabbits gained roughly twice as many yards through the air as on the ground. . . . (read more)