PDA

View Full Version : 2018-10/20 AGS GOTW Week 8

Preferred Walk-On
October 15th, 2018, 02:36 PM
East Tennessee State @ Wofford - Battle at the top of the Southern Conference. Wofford looking to bounce back after last week. East Tennessee State attempting to continue to prove they belong at the top of the Southern.

Illinois State @ North Dakota State - Illinois State (5-1) is looking good as of late. Next three weeks are @ North Dakota State, v. South Dakota State, and @ Northern Iowa, so Illinois State should be looking to establish themselves at the top of the pile starting this week.

South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa - North Dakota State visited two weeks ago. South Dakota State visits this week. Barometer, or just plain survival. The outcome could have significant influence in seeding for playoffs for South Dakota State or helping to solidify a playoff resume for Northern Iowa.

Montana State @ Weber State - Now we find out what Montana State is made of. Weber State appears to have shaken off some of the cobwebs from Northern Arizona and put themselves back in striking distance of a seed. Both teams are 4-2 overall (2-1 in the Big Sky).

Rhode Island @ Stony Brook - Stony Brook has James Madison and Delaware left on schedule. Rhode Island has James Madison and Elon. Winner here separates themselves from the other AND keeps 7 DI wins within reach without likely having to win at least one of the games of note above.

Dartmouth @ Columbia - Threw this game in here, as Columbia will be the first common opponent between Dartmouth and Princeton, for those who wish to compare Ivy League teams.

Lots of other games that could warrant consideration for one reason or another, but this is my list, and you can definitely choose "Other". Happy voting!

Daytripper
October 15th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Can you add the poll?

EDIT: There it is!!

RootinFerDukes
October 15th, 2018, 02:46 PM
IL State and NDSU. It's **** or get off the pot time for the rest of the MVFC.

BisonTru
October 15th, 2018, 02:47 PM
#6 @ #1. That's going to be hard to beat.

Preferred Walk-On
October 15th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Can you add the poll?

EDIT: There it is!!

Sorry. You have to add the poll after the post. Takes about a minute or so for me to type it in and check it over before going live. Glad it showed up.

JSUSoutherner
October 15th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Some good matchups this week.

Preferred Walk-On
October 15th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Had to go with East Tennessee State @ Wofford. Please raise your hand if you thought East Tennessee State was going to be leading the Southern Conference at this point in the season...and you should definitely vote for this game if you did. I did not, but I cannot get over the intrigue this game now has, especially given last week's results.

katss07
October 15th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Not a mention of The Word at McNeese? Big Southland game!

I went with NDSU vs IlSt.

Redbird 4th & short
October 15th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Had to go with East Tennessee State @ Wofford. Please raise your hand if you thought East Tennessee State was going to be leading the Southern Conference at this point in the season...and you should definitely vote for this game if you did. I did not, but I cannot get over the intrigue this game now has, especially given last week's results.

Let's see ... Massey Composite #31 against #25 ....or maybe #1 against #5 .. rematch of 2014 Natty ??

But I and the Massey Composite of 35 polls might be biased. xdrunkyx

Daytripper
October 15th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Let's see ... Massey Composite #31 against #25 ....or maybe #1 against #5 .. rematch of 2014 Natty ??

I think his point is that a match up between two highly ranked MVFC teams is interesting but not intriguing. Boring for the rest of us. An up and comer like ETSU with a chance to make a statement is pretty sporty.

Just FYI, I voted for ISUr v. NDSU.

Redbird 4th & short
October 15th, 2018, 05:09 PM
I think his point is that a match up between two highly ranked MVFC teams is interesting but not intriguing. Boring for the rest of us. An up and comer like ETSU with a chance to make a statement is pretty sporty.

Just FYI, I voted for ISUr v. NDSU.

no worries .. I'm just playing along. If I were ETSU fan, or even Southern fan, I would be way more interested in that outcome given Southern conf is way up in air right now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2018, 05:10 PM
#1 NDSU vs #5 Ill State

This is my vote!

POD Knows
October 15th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Not a mention of The Word at McNeese? Big Southland game!

I went with NDSU vs IlSt.Never thought I would see the day when IW was mentioned in a game of the week.

Daytripper
October 15th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Never thought I would see the day when IW was mentioned in a game of the week.

Me and you both. Their first-year coach, Eric Morris, has done wonders in San Antonio with UIW. Problem is that if he is too successful, they will be looking for another HC pretty soon.

Preferred Walk-On
October 15th, 2018, 05:24 PM

As an NDSU fan, I am looking forward to this weekend's game (and will be there). It should be a good one. However, if GOTW is simply "pick the highest ranked matchup", then there is really no reason to post more than one choice (assuming there is not a matchup equivalent in rankings). I don't think you are biased. You just realize that this game has quite a bit of importance, maybe a bit more so for Illinois State, as a seed is in play for the Redbirds.

I really hope it is not a repeat of the 2014 National Championship, because Illinois State fans went home quite disappointed, and although we NDSU fans went home happy, we had years shaved off of our lives. xlolx I would prefer utter domination by NDSU, but it likely will not be that way.

I think the East Tennessee State @ Wofford game just offers the refreshing perspective of an upstart team with the chance to prove that they belong in the conversation. If I were going to vote differently, I actually would have picked the South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa game, simply because Northern Iowa is playing for its playoff life and South Dakota State is trying to improve and not have a letdown to a border state rival.

- - - Updated - - -

Never thought I would see the day when IW was mentioned in a game of the week.

There is always "Other".

Daytripper
October 15th, 2018, 05:27 PM
As an NDSU fan, I am looking forward to this weekend's game (and will be there). It should be a good one. However, if GOTW is simply "pick the highest ranked matchup", then there is really no reason to post more than one choice (assuming there is not a matchup equivalent in rankings). I don't think you are biased. You just realize that this game has quite a bit of importance, maybe a bit more so for Illinois State, as a seed is in play for the Redbirds.

I really hope it is not a repeat of the 2014 National Championship, because Illinois State fans went home quite disappointed, and although we NDSU fans went home happy, we had years shaved off of our lives. xlolx I would prefer utter domination by NDSU, but it likely will not be that way.

I think the East Tennessee State @ Wofford game just offers the refreshing perspective of an upstart team with the chance to prove that they belong in the conversation. If I were going to vote differently, I actually would have picked the South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa game, simply because Northern Iowa is playing for its playoff life and South Dakota State is trying to improve and not have a letdown to a border state rival.

- - - Updated - - -

There is always "Other".

UIW v. McNeese would have been a legit possibility if only UIW hadn't lost to Lamar (LAMAR!) Saturday.

Preferred Walk-On
October 15th, 2018, 05:35 PM
UIW v. McNeese would have been a legit possibility if only UIW hadn't lost to Lamar (LAMAR!) Saturday.

That was actually the major deciding factor for me. Still, that game should be interesting, and McNeese State needs to step up and show "how a Top 10-15 team should handle" this type of opponent. However, I think this game will be closer than expected.

POD Knows
October 15th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Me and you both. Their first-year coach, Eric Morris, has done wonders in San Antonio with UIW. Problem is that if he is too successful, they will be looking for another HC pretty soon.Yea, they are playing good football now, we played them a few years back, pretty brutal back then.

Preferred Walk-On
October 16th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Looks like barring any significant change, Illinois State @ North Dakota State will be the Week 8 GOTW. If it is anything like the last few weeks, the game should be awfully close:

2018-09/29 AGS GOTW Week 5 - South Dakota State @ North Dakota State - 17-21
2018-10/06 AGS GOTW Week 6 - Elon @ James Madison - 27-24
2018-10/13 AGS GOTW Week 7 - Idaho State @ California-Davis - 37-44 (OT)

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Illinois State at NDSU. You’re welcome.