PDA

View Full Version : The Biggest Ivy League Homer on AGS is....

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2018, 08:11 PM
May I have the envelope, please?

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2018, 08:31 PM
May I have the envelope, please?

Are you other? :D

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Are you other? :D
It’s a mystery...xwhistlex

Actually, the few Harvard posters on the board (myself included) have had grossly negative attitudes of late, so I figured, why waste a poll slot?:p

TheKingpin28
October 13th, 2018, 08:36 PM
John Lovett, I mean World.

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Also, befor GG jumps in all huffy-like, I apologize for omitting the space from Go Green. Consider that an edit. #realgogreen

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2018, 08:40 PM
No doubt I'm a homer. I don't think I'm the biggest homer, though. A realistic homer, maybe.

TheKingpin28
October 13th, 2018, 08:41 PM
No doubt I'm a homer. I don't think I'm the biggest homer, though. A realistic homer, maybe.

That is the biggest oxymoron I have ever heard.

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2018, 08:44 PM
That is the biggest oxymoron I have ever heard.

Maybe

TheKingpin28
October 13th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Maybe

Probably

Ivytalk
No doubt I'm a homer. I don't think I'm the biggest homer, though. A realistic homer, maybe.But...a solid veteran homer of long, respected standing.xthumbsupx

Bison56
This should be a landslide.

TheKingpin28
October 13th, 2018, 08:47 PM

If only Lehigh was in the Ivy League, I could have cracked an amazing joke. xlolx

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2018, 08:48 PM
But apparently not a shutout...

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2018, 08:48 PM

The polls aren't always right.

TheKingpin28
October 13th, 2018, 08:52 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/945/898/a5f.png

LehighU11
October 13th, 2018, 09:04 PM
The entire Patriot League should be an option, too. We hype you guys up more than anyone. Granted, much of it is self-serving.

World
October 13th, 2018, 09:04 PM
ha!

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Also, befor GG jumps in all huffy-like, I apologize for omitting the space from Go Green. Consider that an edit. #realgogreen

When was the last time Green26 posted? You may as well have listed Yalefootballfan who has also disappeared.

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Honorable mention maybe?

Week 6
Hello caribbeanhen,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Eastern Washington Eagles
3: Elon Phoenix
4: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
5: James Madison Dukes
6: Wofford Terriers
7: Kennesaw State Owls
8: UC Davis Aggies
9: Towson Tigers
10: Illinois State Redbirds
11: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
12: McNeese State Cowboys
13: Nicholls State Colonels
14: North Carolina A&T Aggies
15: Princeton Tigers
16: Dartmouth Big Green

Lehigh Football Nation
October 13th, 2018, 11:02 PM
I'm just sad I wasn't even nominated

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2018, 11:10 PM
I'm just sad I wasn't even nominated

You are the main "other"

Ivytalk
October 14th, 2018, 05:12 AM
ha!
Did you vote for yourself, big guy?

Lehigh'98
October 14th, 2018, 05:55 AM
World only shows when Princeton is good. GoGreen, even in bad seasons, will be reminiscing on the good ones. He has earned my vote.

World
October 15th, 2018, 01:15 AM
ha!

World
October 15th, 2018, 01:17 AM
Ivy League Homer?

what Homer?

not me, but what's up with these Power Rankings?

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16656

ha!

JSUSoutherner
October 15th, 2018, 01:30 AM
ha!
We are laughing at you, not with you.

MTfan4life
October 15th, 2018, 05:00 AM
World only shows when Princeton is good. GoGreen, even in bad seasons, will be reminiscing on the good ones. He has earned my vote.

He also will show when Lehigh is good and even did when Illinois State was good, for some reason. Stanford is likely in there, too, but we generally don't talk much FBS on here.

For reference on how loud it can get, look up the Delaware vs. Lehigh playoff game thread from the 2010 season. The "Stratify the FCS conferences" thread is a pretty good reference as well, as it includes probably my favorite blow-up post of all time. That whole 2011 season was pretty ripe with noise.

I'd be surprised if Princeton loses this season and a backpack has seemed to attach to Colgate's bandwagon as well, so brace for yet another couple months of claims of ABSOLUTE guarantees of future events.

Bison56
October 15th, 2018, 06:19 AM

You are correct. I think most, including myself, voted for the biggest fair weather fan, not the biggest homer.

Go Green
October 15th, 2018, 06:49 AM
I'd be surprised if Princeton loses this season.

While I'm sure plenty of people think that Princeton will run the table, very few would "be surprised" if they did not.

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2018, 07:01 AM
He also will show when Lehigh is good and even did when Illinois State was good, for some reason. Stanford is likely in there, too, but we generally don't talk much FBS on here.

For reference on how loud it can get, look up the Delaware vs. Lehigh playoff game thread from the 2010 season. The "Stratify the FCS conferences" thread is a pretty good reference as well, as it includes probably my favorite blow-up post of all time. That whole 2011 season was pretty ripe with noise.

I'd be surprised if Princeton loses this season and a backpack has seemed to attach to Colgate's bandwagon as well, so brace for yet another couple months of claims of ABSOLUTE guarantees of future events.
Wait... is World really TheFan? Is TheFan really World? I thought they seemed awful similar in their allegiances. Has anyone ever seem them at the same place at the same time????

The biggest surprise for me would be that I figured TheFan was still putting together his defamation case against AGS and getting ready to freeze assets. I believe it was around Thankgiving 2011 that it reached its fever pitch. Alas I think Cleets, who was modding back then, accidentally deleted the thread with the best stuff in it. Twas a shame....

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2018, 07:09 AM
You’re on to something. World has only 576 posts in six years. I’ll bet you his post count is way down in Princeton off-years. And Go Green, unlike World, posts about a greater variety of FCS topics than how his own team is doing.

World
October 15th, 2018, 10:54 AM
You’re on to something. World has only 576 posts in six years. I’ll bet you his post count is way down in Princeton off-years. And Go Green, unlike World, posts about a greater variety of FCS topics than how his own team is doing.

You make some excellent points

Vote for World!

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Wait... is World really TheFan? Is TheFan really World? I thought they seemed awful similar in their allegiances. Has anyone ever seem them at the same place at the same time????

The biggest surprise for me would be that I figured TheFan was still putting together his defamation case against AGS and getting ready to freeze assets. I believe it was around Thankgiving 2011 that it reached its fever pitch. Alas I think Cleets, who was modding back then, accidentally deleted the thread with the best stuff in it. Twas a shame....

Where is Cleets? I can't remember the last time I saw him post a Harvard related message.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Whatever did happen to Opie?

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Collectively, the biggest group of Ivy homers is ironically Patriot League fans.

I've posted more facts on the insularity and weakness of the Ivy schedules and lack of wins over scholarship programs. Harvard has been the most overrated program on this board for years. Prior to this season, the love for Princeton has been out of touch with reality. Yale has done the best job playing outside of the confines of the Patriot/Pioneer to mixed results - but at least they schedule better than anyone in the league. Dartmouth has rebounded recently after falling behind and getting dominated by UNH.

Clearly the Ivy is on the rise (as the Patriot is in steady decline), but it is still to difficult to fairly rank these teams over the years.

That all being said, Princeton and Dartmouth are having a great season so far - but it is difficult to consider either higher than #15-18 based on their schedules.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Collectively, the biggest group of Ivy homers is ironically Patriot League fans.

I've posted more facts on the insularity and weakness of the Ivy schedules and lack of wins over scholarship programs. Harvard has been the most overrated program on this board for years. Prior to this season, the love for Princeton has been out of touch with reality. Yale has done the best job playing outside of the confines of the Patriot/Pioneer to mixed results - but at least they schedule better than anyone in the league. Dartmouth has rebounded recently after falling behind and getting dominated by UNH.

Clearly the Ivy is on the rise (as the Patriot is in steady decline), but it is still to difficult to fairly rank these teams over the years.

That all being said, Princeton and Dartmouth are having a great season so far - but it is difficult to consider either higher than #15-18 based on their schedules.

Wondering where that leaves the NEC, then, since the eventual NEC champion Sacred Heart got swept by the IL (Penn, Dartmouth and Cornell)

Also difficult to explain the "lack of wins over scholarship FCS programs" when Yale, the fourth-best team in the Ivy League, absolutely throttled Maine and just beat Mercer

Go Green
October 15th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Also difficult to explain the "lack of wins over scholarship FCS programs" when Yale, the fourth-best team in the Ivy League, absolutely throttled Maine and just beat Mercer

Mediocre Ivy teams have recently beaten Army (Yale), Villanova (Penn), and UNH (Dartmouth)

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Mediocre Ivy teams have recently beaten Army (Yale), Villanova (Penn), and UNH (Dartmouth)

Yale was 8-2 the year they beat Army. A little better than mediocre, but I get your point.

dbackjon
October 15th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Where is Cleets? I can't remember the last time I saw him post a Harvard related message.

He is still being his elitist self over at http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Again, I never said that that the Ivy hasn't had any quality wins, they are just rare (especially for Harvard and Princeton) :)

To freshen everyone's memory ... in the last 15 seasons here are Ivy League non-conference wins outside of the Patriot/Pioneer:

- Princeton has just 1 win, and it happened last week vs. Monmouth.
- Harvard has 2 wins, and both wins came vs. URI (2015 & 2016). Harvard has lost 2 straight to the Rams (2017 & 2018).
- Penn has 3 wins vs. Duquesne (2005), Villanova (2015), and CCSU (2016).
- Yale has 4 wins vs. Cal Poly (2013), Army (2014), and Maine (2015 & 2018).
- Cornell has 4 wins; Albany (2006); Wagner (2011), Monmouth (2013), and Sacred Heart (2018)
- Dartmouth has 7 wins vs. Sacred Heart (2010, 2015, & 2017), CCSU (2014 & 2015), New Hampshire (2016), and Towson (2016).

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Again, I never said that that the Ivy hasn't had any quality wins, they are just rare (especially for Harvard and Princeton) :)

Fascinating how many have come up in the last three years, and how many have happened in 2018. I wonder why?

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Fascinating how many have come up in the last three years, and how many have happened in 2018. I wonder why?

Not sure. As I said, most of the Ivy is clearly on the rise. I assume the generous aid packages and valuable degree has a lot to do with their success.

But more to the point, as the facts point out, in theprevious 14 seasons Princeton hadn't beaten anyone outside of the Ivy, Patriot, or Pioneer - so its hard to criticize posters who question the ranking of the Tigers.

Question: When and against what team was Princeton's last win outside of the Ivy/Patriot/Pioneer?

Go...gate
October 15th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I don't get any love on here? Though not a graduate, I have been following Princeton (my home-town team) for seven decades.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I don't get any love on here? Though not a graduate, I have been following Princeton (my home-town team) for seven decades.
So...you’re 80?

World
October 15th, 2018, 02:16 PM

Tell you what

I'll transfer to you 1/3 my votes received

ha!

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Tell you what

ha!
You must have been a hoot when you ran for eighth-grade class president. HA!

World
October 15th, 2018, 02:21 PM
You must have been a hoot when you ran for eighth-grade class president. HA!

ha!

there is a reason to my madness

bulldog10jw
October 15th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Go...gate and LFN should have been included.

aceinthehole
October 15th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Question: When and against what team was Princeton's last win outside of the Ivy/Patriot/Pioneer?

OK, I'll answer my own question ...

This season's win vs. Monmouth was Princeton's first win in their entire I-AA/FCS history vs. a team that is not currently a member of the Ivy/Patriot/Pioneer.

1980 - Princeton 24, Maine 7

Yes, in the previous 37 seasons (1981-2017), Princeton has beaten the same 16 teams:

Brown
Bucknell
Columbia
Colgate
Cornell
Dartmouth
Davidson
Fordham
Georgetown
Harvard
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh
Penn
San Diego
Yale

Go...gate
October 15th, 2018, 09:30 PM
So...you’re 80?

I mis-remembered - started, I believe, in 1961 or 62. That is six decades. I'm pretty old, though.

Go...gate
October 15th, 2018, 09:33 PM
So...you’re 80?

No, but I remember the Cantabs in the years after Yovicsin was the Coach. That makes me old enough, to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Tell you what

ha!

Thanks, World!

Go...gate
October 15th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Go...gate and LFN should have been included.

Thanks, bulldog10jw.

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2018, 02:11 PM
No, but I remember the Cantabs in the years after Yovicsin was the Coach. That makes me old enough, to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, World!
My freshman year was the second year of the Joe Restic era. So I guess we’re contemporaries.

Go...gate
October 16th, 2018, 03:44 PM
My freshman year was the second year of the Joe Restic era. So I guess we’re contemporaries.

Ivytalk, my bad. I was unclear. I meant in the years after Yovicsin became the coach. Restic started in 1971. Yovicsin started in 1957.

Restic actually coached at Colgate for a while under Alva Kelley.

dbackjon
October 16th, 2018, 04:11 PM

IE Old

Go...gate
October 16th, 2018, 06:12 PM
IE Old

Ivytalk is old. I'm OLD.

Gate83
October 16th, 2018, 07:24 PM
OK, I'll answer my own question ...

This season's win vs. Monmouth was Princeton's first win in their entire I-AA/FCS history vs. a team that is not currently a member of the Ivy/Patriot/Pioneer.

1980 - Princeton 24, Maine 7

Yes, in the previous 37 seasons (1981-2017), Princeton has beaten the same 16 teams:

Brown
Bucknell
Columbia
Colgate
Cornell
Dartmouth
Davidson
Fordham
Georgetown
Harvard
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Lehigh
Penn
San Diego
Yale

We were 12-8 vs. Princeton over that time frame. Apparently the pansies down south think that's too much of a beating & won't schedule us anymore...

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Ivytalk is old. I'm OLD.

What does that make me? My first Yale game as a kid was in 1959, but I remember seeing the Yale-Harvard game on TV in 1957.

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2018, 08:36 PM
What does that make me? My first Yale game as a kid was in 1959, but I remember seeing the Yale-Harvard game on TV in 1957.
bulldog, IIRC, when we had dinner together in Arizona, you told me that you were in the class of’73. So you’re three years older than I am. So you were 6 when you watched the ‘57 Game. I was playing with Tonka trucks that year.

Ivytalk
October 16th, 2018, 08:41 PM
About halfway through the poll, World has a commanding 30-9 lead over Go Green. Something tells me that that score will be reversed on November 3.

World
October 16th, 2018, 09:02 PM
About halfway through the poll, World has a commanding 30-9 lead over Go Green. Something tells me that that score will be reversed on November 3.

20-9

I transferred 1/3, or 10 votes over to Go...gate

ha!

bulldog10jw
October 16th, 2018, 09:04 PM
bulldog, IIRC, when we had dinner together in Arizona, you told me that you were in the class of’73. So you’re three years older than I am. So you were 6 when you watched the ‘57 Game. I was playing with Tonka trucks that year.

You're exactly right, IT. I was 6, born in 1951. I didn't exactly sit down and watch the entire game in 1957. I just remember my father had it on TV and the score. It was about then that I got interested in sports because the first World Series I remember was also in 1957.

It was the same with my first game in the Bowl in 1959. In those days the Jaycees would gather up kids in the neighborhood and take them to a game. I remember the score 17-0, but couldn't tell you much about the game. I was too excited about the jack knife I bought there. It was only years later that I looked up the score and saw that the game was against Brown.

Go Green
October 17th, 2018, 09:32 AM
It was the same with my first game in the Bowl in 1959. In those days the Jaycees would gather up kids in the neighborhood and take them to a game. I remember the score 17-0, but couldn't tell you much about the game. I was too excited about the jack knife I bought there. It was only years later that I looked up the score and saw that the game was against Brown.

1959 appears to be an interesting season for Yale. They won their first five games by shutout before the wheels came off...

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2018, 09:47 AM
1959 appears to be an interesting season for Yale. They won their first five games by shutout before the wheels came off...

It was a progression from 1958 when Yale lost every Ivy League game, through 1959 when they weren't quite there, to 1960 when they won them all.

World
October 17th, 2018, 10:34 AM
It was a progression from 1958 when Yale lost every Ivy League game, through 1959 when they weren't quite there, to 1960 when they won them all.

Do I remember correctly that Dartmouth had some great teams in the 60's?

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Do I remember correctly that Dartmouth had some great teams in the 60's?

1962 and 1965, I believe

World
October 17th, 2018, 11:45 AM
1962 and 1965, I believe

yep, Dartmouth was undefeated, with Princeton being right up there in '65

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:1965_Ivy_League_football_standings

so it appears that both Dartmouth and Princeton were undefeated going into the last game of the season against each other:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Dartmouth_Indians_football_team

dbackjon
October 17th, 2018, 01:14 PM

LOL Old as well. I guess I need to have dinner with Go...Gate so I can compare geezernous ;)

Go...gate
October 17th, 2018, 01:46 PM
We were 12-8 vs. Princeton over that time frame. Apparently the pansies down south think that's too much of a beating & won't schedule us anymore...

Thank you, Gary Walters.

Go...gate
October 17th, 2018, 01:48 PM

Probably about the same age.

Go...gate
October 17th, 2018, 01:50 PM
LOL Old as well. I guess I need to have dinner with Go...Gate so I can compare geezernous ;)

Maybe Colgate can get a game out there with you guys - I have never been to Arizona and I hear it is beautiful!

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2018, 01:57 PM

That was 6 years ago, wasn't it Jon. I may have still have had some dark hair left.

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Maybe Colgate can get a game out there with you guys - I have never been to Arizona and I hear it is beautiful!

I would love to see Yale play NAU in Flagstaff

Go...gate
October 17th, 2018, 04:56 PM
That was 6 years ago, wasn't it Jon. I may have still have had some dark hair left.

You are ahead of me. It would take an investigation to find more than a few brown hairs on my head. I definitely have that "extinguished" look.

dbackjon
October 17th, 2018, 05:44 PM

Arizona is beautiful. And you can get a two-for one dinner - Bulldog and me! Heck, Ivytalk can fly out for the reunion ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Round about that, yes.

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Arizona is beautiful. And you can get a two-for one dinner - Bulldog and me! Heck, Ivytalk can fly out for the reunion ;)

- - - Updated
The Early Bird Special!:D

smallcollegefbfan
October 18th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Ivy League Homer?

what Homer?

not me, but what's up with these Power Rankings?

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16656

ha!

Another case where you are using something that is not credible. Who made those power rankings for that website? What is their formula? What basis do they have naming Princeton #1?

I'm not accusing you of being a player but you are coming off like one. Someone who is 20-22 years old and thinks their league and team are disrespected so they are hear pushing and pushing fake news or at least non credible sources to say how great their players or team are. Even with the STATs and Coaches polls those are the done by the most credible people for most part but people call them out when something looks messed up. AGS has probably been the most accurate simply because those doing it truly take the time to make it not look bad and then when something is out of whack the mods will reach out and ask why.

JSUSoutherner
October 18th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Another case where you are using something that is not credible. Who made those power rankings for that website? What is their formula? What basis do they have naming Princeton #1?

I'm not accusing you of being a player but you are coming off like one. Someone who is 20-22 years old and thinks their league and team are disrespected so they are hear pushing and pushing fake news or at least non credible sources to say how great their players or team are. Even with the STATs and Coaches polls those are the done by the most credible people for most part but people call them out when something looks messed up. AGS has probably been the most accurate simply because those doing it truly take the time to make it not look bad and then when something is out of whack the mods will reach out and ask why.

*Here

World
October 18th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Huh?

You do understand that my post you are responding to was a joke, don't you? I was making fun of the Power Rankings shown on the link. Regarding the FCS polls, I regard the AGS poll as the most realistic.

TheKingpin28
October 18th, 2018, 01:16 PM

I'm not accusing you of being a player but you are coming off like one. Someone who is 20-22 years old and thinks their league and team are disrespected so they are hear pushing and pushing fake news or at least non credible sources to say how great their players or team are. Even with the STATs and Coaches polls those are the done by the most credible people for most part but people call them out when something looks messed up. AGS has probably been the most accurate simply because those doing it truly take the time to make it not look bad and then when something is out of whack the mods will reach out and ask why.Peach

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Go...gate
October 18th, 2018, 07:02 PM
The Early Bird Special!:D

That makes two of us. :D

Ivytalk
October 19th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Looks like World has an insurmountable lead, going into the home stretch of this poll. He has turned homerism into an art form.

(Ha!)xdohx

Ivytalk
October 21st, 2018, 04:55 PM
World wins in a landslide. He’s FDR to Go Green’s Alf Landon. Ha.

Go Green
October 21st, 2018, 05:00 PM
World wins in a landslide. He’s FDR to Go Green’s Alf Landon. Ha.

The guess here is that World gets a lot quieter beginning the evening of November 3rd.

:)

caribbeanhen
October 21st, 2018, 07:39 PM
The guess here is that World gets a lot quieter beginning the evening of November 3rd.

Dartmouth is ranked higher than Princeton in my poll after yesterday

Ivytalk
October 21st, 2018, 10:34 PM

That’s my guess as well. He’ll hop on the “dinky” and get out of town.

World
October 22nd, 2018, 12:07 AM
So who won in the Poll?

Ivytalk
October 22nd, 2018, 06:23 AM
So who one in the Poll?
Scroll up, drama queen.xcoffeex

* won

like, oh, sure, World went to Princeton

Bison56
October 22nd, 2018, 06:54 AM
So who one in the Poll?

Now I know not to let my kids attend Princeton.

Go Green
October 22nd, 2018, 07:45 AM
NowI know not to let my kids attend Princeton.

I take it that you haven't yet seen Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 22nd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Is there a risk my son might run into World if he gets into Princeton?

Ivytalk
October 22nd, 2018, 09:06 PM
Is there a risk my son might run into World if he gets into Princeton?
Nope. World hangs out at Rutgers. Or maybe Rider.

Bison56
October 23rd, 2018, 07:24 AM
I take it that you haven't yet seen Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

xlolx I have seen it, but its been awhile.

Go Green
October 23rd, 2018, 11:00 AM
xlolx I have seen it, but its been awhile.

Let's just say that Princeton probably wasn't as happy about that movie as they were about "A Beautiful Mind."

World
October 23rd, 2018, 12:29 PM
Let's just say that Princeton probably wasn't as happy about that movie as they were about "A Beautiful Mind."

Speaking of this movie, still remember seeing Prof. John Nash walking around the basement library of Fine Hall, the math building. It was one of the few libraries at Princeton that was kept open 24 hours a day.

Reign of Terrier
October 23rd, 2018, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's subtly hilarious that we had to remind people who these posters were fans of?

bulldog10jw
October 23rd, 2018, 05:29 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's subtly hilarious that we had to remind people who these posters were fans of?

Who are you a fan of? Boston University?

Ivytalk
October 23rd, 2018, 08:43 PM
Probably.xcoffeex

bulldog10jw
August 27th, 2019, 12:28 AM
I wonder whatever happened to World. After destroying the competition as the biggest Ivy homer, he disappeared without even celebrating Princeton's unbeaten season and rubbing our noses in it. I hope he's OK. His last post I could find was 11/02/2018

Go Green
August 27th, 2019, 04:59 AM
I wonder whatever happened to World. After destroying the competition as the biggest Ivy homer, he disappeared without even celebrating Princeton's unbeaten season and rubbing our noses in it. I hope he's OK. His last post I could find was 11/02/2018

He was banned from the Board after he posted personal information about another poster.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?219901-AP-FCS-All-America-Team-Announced/page4&highlight=doxxing

bulldog10jw
August 27th, 2019, 09:42 AM
He was banned from the Board after he posted personal information about another poster.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?219901-AP-FCS-All-America-Team-Announced/page4&highlight=doxxing

Thanks. I missed that.

Go Green
August 27th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Thanks. I missed that.

No problem!

And I guess that makes.... me the biggest Ivy League Homer on AGS now? Aw, shucks!!! :)

ST_Lawson
August 27th, 2019, 02:11 PM
No problem!

And I guess that makes.... me the biggest Ivy League Homer on AGS now? Aw, shucks!!! :)

You Ivy leaguers and your crazy college pranks...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2Gmza_wE4yI/Ufaw7jjdFlI/AAAAAAAAQ5k/NtU1ukmgLgQ/s1600/CollegeCurlyStraight.jpg

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2019, 07:55 PM
I'm not an Ivy league guy but no Non Ivy Leaguer talked up the Ivies like I did last year.... Playoffs would of been very interesting....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2019, 08:08 PM
I'm not an Ivy league guy but no Non Ivy Leaguer talked up the Ivies like I did last year.... Playoffs would of been very interesting....

I've been a staunch supporter as well!

caribbeanhen
August 27th, 2019, 08:10 PM
I've been a staunch supporter as well!

how can you make them listen?

Ivytalk
August 27th, 2019, 09:34 PM
No problem!

I knew I had a winner...xcoolx

bulldog10jw
August 27th, 2019, 09:56 PM
I knew I had a winner...xcoolx

So, IT. What's the latest with Harvard's stadium renovation? Are they still going to take the capacity down to 22k? Now that I'm retired, I may want to go back for a game. Am I going to have to get my tickets for 2020 through you?

FUBeAR
August 27th, 2019, 10:08 PM
I dunno. I think I’ve mentioned Yale’s 2018 ROAD-GRADING of CAA Champ, FCS Playoff Seed, and Playoff Semi-finalist, Maine, about 99,999,999 times.

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2019, 12:24 PM
So, IT. What's the latest with Harvard's stadium renovation? Are they still going to take the capacity down to 22k? Now that I'm retired, I may want to go back for a game. Am I going to have to get my tickets for 2020 through you?
bulldog, I haven’t seen anything lately about the status. Nothing in the Crimson or on the athletics website. I’ll post when I hear anything.

Sader87
August 28th, 2019, 02:59 PM
The Ivy League is a very solid league that only seems to get better every season lately.

Ivy guys would know much better than myself, but it seems like the league as a whole has gotten much stronger in the last 7-10 years or so.

bulldog10jw
August 28th, 2019, 03:42 PM
The Ivy League is a very solid league that only seems to get better every season lately.

Ivy guys would know much better than myself, but it seems like the league as a whole has gotten much stronger in the last 7-10 years or so.

Harvard has been strong since 2000 and to a lesser extent Penn. I think (I know) a conscious decision was made at Yale, Princeton, and Dartmouth that they had to try and keep up and recruit and accept better athletes in all sports. Alumni pressure played a big part.

Better financial packages have cut the out of pocket costs for players (and parents, of course) who may have accepted a scholarship in the past.

When Penn was the team everyone was chasing in the '80's and '90's, no one was under pressure to keep up because Penn was considered an outlier (and it was a given that they were cheating and admitting borderline recruits).

When Harvard started dominating, alumni at the other schools started to get upset.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Harvard has been strong since 2000 and to a lesser extent Penn. I think (I know) a conscious decision was made at Yale, Princeton, and Dartmouth that they had to try and keep up and recruit and accept better athletes in all sports. Alumni pressure played a big part.

Better financial packages have cut the out of pocket costs for players (and parents, of course) who may have accepted a scholarship in the past.

When Penn was the team everyone was chasing in the '80's and '90's, no one was under pressure to keep up because Penn was considered an outlier (and it was a given that they were cheating and admitting borderline recruits).

When Harvard started dominating, alumni at the other schools started to get upset.

Was their cheating admitting "borderline recruits" or were they "cheating cheating"?

bulldog10jw
August 28th, 2019, 05:24 PM
Was their cheating admitting "borderline recruits" or were they "cheating cheating"?

Borderline, or worse, recruits.

Go Green
August 28th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Borderline, or worse, recruits.

This is what bulldog is talking about.

https://www.si.com/vault/1993/11/15/129886/penn-and-needles-their-academics-belittled-the-quakers-came-up-big-against-princeton-in-the-ivy-leagues-showcase-game

https://www.si.com/vault/1995/08/28/205855/winning-ways-penn-has-not-lost-a-game-in-two-years-question-is-to-achieve-dominance-has-it-compromised-the-ivy-leagues-academic-ideals

FWIW, Dartmouth was dominant in the 1990s as well. But nobody ever hinted we were cheating.

The Boogie Down
August 29th, 2019, 10:18 AM
This is what bulldog is talking about.

https://www.si.com/vault/1993/11/15/129886/penn-and-needles-their-academics-belittled-the-quakers-came-up-big-against-princeton-in-the-ivy-leagues-showcase-game

https://www.si.com/vault/1995/08/28/205855/winning-ways-penn-has-not-lost-a-game-in-two-years-question-is-to-achieve-dominance-has-it-compromised-the-ivy-leagues-academic-ideals

Many thanks for the links, Green.
A couple of Q's for you or any other IL fan out there:
1) Have the AI band numbers changed since their creation in 1985?

2) Have any Ivy schools moved up or down in band level since then? For instance, in the article H-Y-P get mentioned as being in the highest band. Columbia and Dartmouth are in the middle band while Cornell and Penn (and Brown too I assume) are in the lowest brand. But this article was written in 1995 and according to the latest USNWR ratings, Columbia is a lot closer to H-Y-P than Dartmouth or any of the lower band schools.

3) I read somewhere once (and this may be just an internet rumor) that Penn had a real horrific run in the late '70s. So to get them back on their feet, the rest of the IL looked the other way as Penn was allowed to let in a bunch of what, at best, could be called "borderline" recruits. But that thanks to the AI, Columbia was not afforded the same benefit when they slipped into an even more horrific run during the mid and late '80s. Any truth to that?

4) Are the Ivies still allowed 35 recruits a year?

5) Anyone else notice (and remember this was written in 1995) that bit about the Ivies possibly breaking their self-imposed playoffs ban?

Go Green
August 29th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Many thanks for the links, Green.
A couple of Q's for you or any other IL fan out there:
1) Have the AI band numbers changed since their creation in 1985?

2) Have any Ivy schools moved up or down in band level since then? For instance, in the article H-Y-P get mentioned as being in the highest band. Columbia and Dartmouth are in the middle band while Cornell and Penn (and Brown too I assume) are in the lowest brand. But this article was written in 1995 and according to the latest USNWR ratings, Columbia is a lot closer to H-Y-P than Dartmouth or any of the lower band schools.

3) I read somewhere once (and this may be just an internet rumor) that Penn had a real horrific run in the late '70s. So to get them back on their feet, the rest of the IL looked the other way as Penn was allowed to let in a bunch of what, at best, could be called "borderline" recruits. But that thanks to the AI, Columbia was not afforded the same benefit when they slipped into an even more horrific run during the mid and late '80s. Any truth to that?

4) Are the Ivies still allowed 35 recruits a year?

5) Anyone else notice (and remember this was written in 1995) that bit about the Ivies possibly breaking their self-imposed playoffs ban?

1) Yes. However, the league has been pretty tight-lipped over specifics. But according to internet board posters whose opinions I trust, it has happened a few times (including recently). Every time, it's going up.

2) Yes, although sometimes unilaterally by school. Dartmouth, for example, decided to raise its AI after 1996. As a result, both our football and men's basketball program went into immediate tailspins. Dartmouth returned its AI to traditional levels in the league around 2006 and eventually was able to get back on its feet (at least in football). Brown supposedly also unilaterally raised its AI a few years ago, and their football team also went straight to the basement.

3) My understanding is that Penn's 1980s fortunes were the result of their waiting until the last possible moment to implement the AI. The AI was adopted in 1981 and teams had to be in compliance with their bands by 1985. Dartmouth and Yale (two powers in the late 1970s) opted to implement their AI levels immediately in 1981. (I'll bet Columbia did as well--they historically sucked in the 1980s). Dartmouth and Yale went into immediate tailspins after that. Penn waited until they absolutely had to start rejecting guys. So their early 1980s teams were dominant. In the later 1980s--not so much. That's where their reputation for playing guys that nobody else could admit came from. (Most of the bellyaching on that front came from Princeton).

FWIW, Penn has since risen in USN&WR rankings and they've gotten a lot more selective. And I don't hear anything about Penn taking unqualified guys anymore. So I can only assume that their AI is a lot higher now than it was from 1985-2000.

4) I'm no expert, but I think its 100 recruits over a four-year rolling period. I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

5) I think it will happen eventually. Princeton's Coach Surace has been darn vocal about it. If he can convince his bosses, we will see something. If Princeton (or Harvard or Yale) wants something, it usually happens.

The Boogie Down
August 29th, 2019, 01:37 PM
Many thanks Green, and best of luck to you guys in 2019!

1) Kinda surprising that the band levels have gone up considering that (recently at least) so has the IL's level of play.

2) Especially since here you sight correlations between rising band levels and diminishing talent levels. Initially at least.

3) Extra thanks for clearing this particular part up for me! Always wondered how Penn went from being worse than Columbia to being a consistently ranked team in just 4 or 5 years.

4) Maybe PL fans can help out here, but were we also recruiting around 100 players over rolling four year periods prior to going scholarships?
4-b) Again, for the PL fans: Has our AI gone up over the years as well?

5) Sincerely hope so! Or at least an IL/PL bowl game.

Go Green
August 29th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Many thanks
Green
, and best of luck to you guys in 2019!

1) Kinda surprising that the band levels have gone up considering that (recently at least) so has the IL's level of play.

My pleasure! And thanks!!

If there is any one answer, it's that the Ivies (or most of us) have offered enhanced financial aid packages to students (athletes and non-athletes) that are competitive with scholarship offers.

That's not the entire story, but it is a big reason why the Ivy teams have been getting better players (in all sports) from a generation ago.

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2019, 07:27 AM

They have taken advantage of their strengths while the Patriot League has been adrift. The PL is closer competitively to the Northeast Conference than the Ancient Eight.

Sader87
August 30th, 2019, 12:41 PM
They have taken advantage of thei))r strengths while the Patriot League has been adrift. The PL is closer competitively to the Northeast Conference than the Ancient Eight.

I agree...it's taken about 30 years in football, but the Ivies have caught up and/or surpassed the PL and then Yankee Conference schools who were routinely beating (often handily) the Ivies in the 80s.

Not sure what the answer is for the PL...I think in Holy Cross' case, the next few years are critical for where the football program goes moving forward.

The Boogie Down
August 30th, 2019, 06:56 PM
I agree...it's taken about 30 years in football, but the Ivies have caught up and/or surpassed the PL and then Yankee Conference schools who were routinely beating (often handily) the Ivies in the 80s.

Not sure what the answer is for the PL...I think in Holy Cross' case, the next few years are critical for where the football program goes moving forward.

It's cyclical. We were better for about a 7/8 year run in the mid and late '80s. Then they were better for about a 7/8 year run in the early and mid '90s. Then it was our turn again for about 7/8 years. Then things got pretty even for a while until they've taken the lead for the past 4 or 5 years.

Hard for me to figure out why these runs come and go. But 2 things do stick out. Almost over night the PL seemed to surpass the IL once the PL began accepting autobids into the playoffs. Nearly 20 years later, but again almost overnight, the IL seemed to surpass the PL once the PL began accepting scholarships.

Sader87
August 30th, 2019, 08:38 PM
I think it's simply the Ivies have bumped up their recruiting/$$$ for football in the 2010s....seeing the same in basketball as well.

The Ivies routinely have some of the best recruiting classes in all of FCS today.....Harvard basketball now sometimes is in the Top 25 nationally for recruiting classez.