PDA

View Full Version : Elon season - done?

EU2000
October 13th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Starting QB Cheek injured in the 1st quarter today....Summers out with an injury and hasn’t played. Crazy to see a season possibly crumbling without these two.

TheKingpin28
October 13th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Starting QB Cheek injured in the 1st quarter today....Summers out with an injury and hasn’t played. Crazy to see a season possibly crumbling without these two.

How bad was Cheek's injury?

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2018, 05:27 PM
If so and Elon tanks it, Furman will be the benefit of the greatest counterfactual in FCS history

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

EU2000
October 13th, 2018, 05:27 PM
How bad was Cheek's injury?

Not sure. Didn’t look good when he went down.

EU2000
October 13th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Just hate injuries kept the best off the field in a crucial game. Definitely the big difference today. Elon unable to move the ball without 2 off the CAAs best, defense on the field too long.

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 13th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Sorry Elon but I think of 4 CAA teams that have played have played Maine with out their starting QB, and Maine is without their #1 RB. Part of the game, sure u guys will make adjustments and move on.

gofurman
October 13th, 2018, 05:44 PM
If so and Elon tanks it, Furman will be the benefit of the greatest counterfactual in FCS history

If you are saying we will benefit bc Elon wasn't really that good and was a fraud then you are full of it - and I am a very objective fan... But maybe that's not what you are saying?

We just DESTROYED Wofford. Elon DESTROYED us - granted without OUR starting QB... but they whooped us right and left. Elon is/ WAS that good. But we may never know now. football is cruel w injuries. Furman has had that. Wofford had it bad a few years ago. It was clearly a killer to Woff a few years back - can't recall the exact year. Some opponents said that Woff just sucked, I completely admitted we would never know, that you all had half your team sidelined. Furman lost our starting THREE QBs in the first two games several years ago - same thing happened to us that happened to Wofford. It's just too much to absorb at FCS level. Hell, FBS couldn't absorb losing your starting 3 QBs !

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2018, 05:46 PM
If you are saying we will benefit bc Elon wasn't really that good and was a fraud then you are full of it - and I am a very objective fan... But maybe that's not what you are saying?

We just DESTROYED Wofford. Elon DESTROYED us - granted without OUR starting QB... but they whooped us right and left. Elon is/ WAS that good. But we may never know now. football is cruel w injuries. Furman has had that. Wofford had it bad a few years ago. It was clearly a killer to Woff a few years back - can't recall the exact year. Some opponents said that Woff just sucked, I completely admitted we would never know, that you all had half your team sidelined. Furman lost our starting THREE QBs in the first two games several years ago - same thing happened to us that happened to Wofford. It's just too much to absorb at FCS level. Hell, FBS couldn't absorb losing your starting 3 QBs !You should Google what counterfactual means and get back to me. That's the second time you've assumed the absolute worst in my post because you didn't understand it and then went on a tangent

gofurman
October 13th, 2018, 05:56 PM
You should Google what counterfactual means and get back to me. That's the second time you've assumed the absolute worst in my post because you didn't understand it and then went on a tangent

I apologize. I realized it afterwards.

My full apologies !!!

(and read the SoCon power ranking thread - you will see I gave you props). I find you to be a pretty objective and reasonable fan.

fc97
October 13th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Sorry Elon but I think of 4 CAA teams that have played have played Maine with out their starting QB, and Maine is without their #1 RB. Part of the game, sure u guys will make adjustments and move on.

I think what he's saying is, it is disappointing. After Swepson decimated the program, and Skrozky failed to rebuild it, we just do not have the depth at some positions to make this work out. Couple that with the fact that W&M failed to re-schedule the game with us, so, no matter what, this season is probably done.

EU2000
October 13th, 2018, 06:25 PM
I think what he's saying is, it is disappointing. After Swepson decimated the program, and Skrozky failed to rebuild it, we just do not have the depth at some positions to make this work out. Couple that with the fact that W&M failed to re-schedule the game with us, so, no matter what, this season is probably done.

Yup. Elon can essentially only lose 1 game...with Richmond, Rhode Island, Towson and Maine still on the schedule.

Silver linings....the next 3 games are at home.

RootinFerDukes
October 14th, 2018, 08:43 AM
I know losing key players seems bleak and is disappointing but you can’t just throw in the towel. Football is a next man up sport. Trust your coaches to have the 2nd string players ready to go and that you have good depth at all positions.

Professor Chaos
October 14th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Yup. Elon can essentially only lose 1 game...with Richmond, Rhode Island, Towson and Maine still on the schedule.

Silver linings....the next 3 games are at home.
Take a step back. They can still lose 2 more and be ok IMO. That JMU win will pay dividends on Selection Sunday. They'd be one of the most attractive 7-4 teams in the country.

MacThor
October 14th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Take a step back. They can still lose 2 more and be ok IMO. That JMU win will pay dividends on Selection Sunday. They'd be one of the most attractive 7-4 teams in the country.

Except they'd only be 6-4, since they canceled their game with W&M.

KPSUL
October 14th, 2018, 08:41 PM
You're jumping the gun if you don't even know the extent of the injuries. Cheeks may be the more crucial, you played well last year with McNair as the #1 RB, I'd take McNair anytime as a starter.

Professor Chaos
October 14th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Except they'd only be 6-4, since they canceled their game with W&M.
Yeah, forgot about that. That'll be interesting. If I was on that committee, barring a turnaround for W&M this season, I'd give Elon the benefit of the doubt there and treat them like a 7-4 team even though they'd only be 6-4. Of course they can't count on that being the mentality of the actual committee so I guess he's right in that if Elon wants to remove the guesswork they better finish 7-3 or better.

BisonTru
October 14th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Yeah, forgot about that. That'll be interesting. If I was on that committee, barring a turnaround for W&M this season, I'd give Elon the benefit of the doubt there and treat them like a 7-4 team even though they'd only be 6-4. Of course they can't count on that being the mentality of the actual committee so I guess he's right in that if Elon wants to remove the guesswork they better finish 7-3 or better.

I've long said that 6 wins from the CAA or MVFC should get a team in consideration. Not only is 6 wins the official benchmark according to the handbook, but we have seen 6 win teams get in before. On top of that 6-4 looks better than 6-5 and the W&M game was most likely going to go in Elon's favor.

On the flip side though, Elon would be finishing 2-2 to end the season and that's not a real strong finish.

JMO, they finish...

3-1.... In the playoffs
2-2.... In consideration for playoffs (bubble)
1-3.... Out

bulldog
October 14th, 2018, 10:53 PM

I actually thought Cheek's backup looked pretty good. Definitely more mobile and threw some very good passes.

EU2000
October 15th, 2018, 06:44 AM
I know losing key players seems bleak and is disappointing but you can’t just throw in the towel. Football is a next man up sport. Trust your coaches to have the 2nd string players ready to go and that you have good depth at all positions.

I hope you're right. After Summers' season ending injury last year, the team went 2-3.

But there were bright spots like both Cyphers and McNair both having 100 yard rushing games versus Towson.

I talked in another thread about how well Cignetti has the team prepared most weeks. Things looked pretty unprepared Saturday....130 yards below the season average and 13 points under the season average (before factoring in stats from the Del game).

Despite all of the issues, Elon did lead 16-14 midway through the 4th before the wheels fell completely off.

To quote Cignetti about Cheek's injury: "The initial prognosis isn’t great.”

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 15th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Elon is done IMO.

IMO, JMU also is a top 2 seed.....they win out.

RootinFerDukes
October 15th, 2018, 07:44 AM

The committee cannot operate that way by assuming wins and losses. If that were the case, we should award SDSU with a second loss to Iowa State (which is very likely).

Professor Chaos
October 15th, 2018, 08:12 AM
The committee cannot operate that way by assuming wins and losses. If that were the case, we should award SDSU with a second loss to Iowa State (which is very likely).
I don't see what the harm is. If W&M finishes 2-8 (1-6) I think it would be fairly safe to assume that Elon would've beat them. They don't have to flat out say "ok, everyone has to pretend Elon is 7-4 instead of 6-4" but if they're comparing a 6-4 Elon to say a 7-4 Chattanooga I think a reasonable person can discount the fact that Chattanooga has an extra win in that comparison.

Go ahead and infer an FBS loss for SDSU if you want. I won't/shouldn't hurt them just like the NC State loss doesn't hurt JMU.

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 15th, 2018, 12:03 PM
True that.
Usually the 2nd string QB doesn't get much game time experience unless you are up big late in the game and then you are pretty much running clock.

Thumper 76
October 15th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Elon is done IMO.

IMO, JMU also is a top 2 seed.....they win out.If both SDSU and JMU win out I'm not sure how they get the 2 seed over SDSU, and that's not including if UC Davis wins out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

phoenix3
October 15th, 2018, 04:18 PM
I have high expectations for Jalen Green - Elon back-up QB. He was Cignetti's recruit, and I think was initially expected to win the starting job. (Cheek was Skrosky's pick). If Green can muster a good game against Richmond this Saturday, he has a bye week to continue to hone his skills. If Green can step up, I think we still have a chance at the playoffs.

RootinFerDukes
October 16th, 2018, 08:05 AM
If both SDSU and JMU win out I'm not sure how they get the 2 seed over SDSU, and that's not including if UC Davis wins out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UCD's SOS won't be anything close to what JMU and SDSU's are in that scenario, but you're right, the committee may not be able to lay off an FCS undefeated Big Sky champion.

ngineer
October 16th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I have high expectations for Jalen Green - Elon back-up QB. He was Cignetti's recruit, and I think was initially expected to win the starting job. (Cheek was Skrosky's pick). If Green can muster a good game against Richmond this Saturday, he has a bye week to continue to hone his skills. If Green can step up, I think we still have a chance at the playoffs.

He's got a very good coach in Folmar, our former OC. Folmar was All-American QB at Millersville University (D-II). I think Drew will be getting a shot at FCS HC gig soon, or on the FBS as an assistant.

Gangtackle11
October 16th, 2018, 12:18 PM
He's got a very good coach in Folmar, our former OC. Folmar was All-American QB at Millersville University (D-II). I think Drew will be getting a shot at FCS HC gig soon, or on the FBS as an assistant.

The combo of Cignetti - Folmar - Trisciani is what turned Elon around. That team plays for its Head Coach & coordinators. The team believes in their system & you see the results. xpeacex

ngineer
October 16th, 2018, 12:35 PM
The combo of Cignetti - Folmar - Trisciani is what turned Elon around. That team plays for its Head Coach & coordinators. The team believes in their system & you see the results. xpeacex

Wouldn't mind seeing either of latter two show up in Bethlehem.

FUBeAR
October 16th, 2018, 01:50 PM
You should Google what counterfactual means and get back to me. That's the second time you've assumed the absolute worst in my post because you didn't understand it and then went on a tangent

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkI understand what a counterfactual is, but I still don’t understand what you are trying to say, specifically, what this phrase means, “...Furman will be the benefit of...”

Please ‘splain, in simple English. Or Redneck will do. I’m fairly fluent in both.

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2018, 02:29 PM
I understand what a counterfactual is, but I still don’t understand what you are trying to say, specifically, what this phrase means, “...Furman will be the benefit of...”

Please ‘splain, in simple English. Or Redneck will do. I’m fairly fluent in both.

Furman loses in a blow out to Elon.

That same Elon team beats up everyone until their stud players get hurt.

They then flounder the rest of the season, or at the very least aren't as good.

In timeline A, we all see how great Elon truly is as they win a CAA championship. The 30 point loss looks not as bad.

In timeline B, Elon is okay with no injuries, not 10-1 good, but 7-4 or 8-3. The 30 point loss looks bad.

In timeline C, Elon is bad with injuries, think 5-6ish. The 30 point loss looks bad, but Furman gets the plausible deniability that timeline A was the Elon they played, not timeline B.

In timeline D, Elon is good with injuries. 8-3 or 9-2. The 30 point loss looks bad, but Furman gets the plausible deniability that it wasn't as bad because they and JMU were the only ones who played timeline A Elon.

Because of injuries, either timeline A and B Elon could be true but we'll never know. Because they lost a game, timeline C and D are more likely and the plausible deniability of Furman is credible. All of these situations are counterfactuals, ergo, Furman is the greatest beneficiary of these counterfactuals.

FUGameBreaker
October 16th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Furman loses in a blow out to Elon.

That same Elon team beats up everyone until their stud players get hurt.

They then flounder the rest of the season, or at the very least aren't as good.

In timeline A, we all see how great Elon truly is as they win a CAA championship. The 30 point loss looks not as bad.

In timeline B, Elon is okay with no injuries, not 10-1 good, but 7-4 or 8-3. The 30 point loss looks bad.

In timeline C, Elon is bad with injuries, think 5-6ish. The 30 point loss looks bad, but Furman gets the plausible deniability that timeline A was the Elon they played, not timeline B.

In timeline D, Elon is good with injuries. 8-3 or 9-2. The 30 point loss looks bad, but Furman gets the plausible deniability that it wasn't as bad because they and JMU were the only ones who played timeline A Elon.

Because of injuries, either timeline A and B Elon could be true but we'll never know. Because they lost a game, timeline C and D are more likely and the plausible deniability of Furman is credible. All of these situations are counterfactuals, ergo, Furman is the greatest beneficiary of these counterfactuals.

Elon - Cheek & Summers
Furman + Roberts

I would feel really good about picking Furman to win that game if it was played this weekend, especially in Greenville

Reign of Terrier
October 16th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Elon - Cheek & Summers
Furman + Roberts

I would feel really good about picking Furman to win that game if it was played this weekend, especially in Greenville

that's my entire point

EU2000
October 16th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Elon - Cheek & Summers
Furman + Roberts

We'll see where Elon is this weekend. Jalen Greene was a Furman "defector" who signed with Elon. :)

It seems that Summers will more than likely be back. He suited up Saturday, but Cignetti says he was day to day with a hammy.

If I remember correctly, Summers wasn't the leading rusher in the game earlier this season.....it was true freshman Jaylan Thomas. Back up QB (Greene) also came in and rushed for a TD.

Do you think losing Cheek and Summers, and having Roberts at the helm would make up for what was a 38 point deficit?

FUGameBreaker
October 16th, 2018, 03:29 PM
We'll see where Elon is this weekend. Jalen Greene was a Furman "defector" who signed with Elon. :)

It seems that Summers will more than likely be back. He suited up Saturday, but Cignetti says he was day to day with a hammy.

If I remember correctly, Summers wasn't the leading rusher in the game earlier this season.....it was true freshman Jaylan Thomas. Back up QB (Greene) also came in and rushed for a TD.

Do you think losing Cheek and Summers, and having Roberts at the helm would make up for what was a 38 point deficit?

Yes I absolutely think it would make up the difference, that game was a total washout for the Dins, we were playing 2 guys at QB that I don't consider to be playing the right position.
When you are playing a team that can only run and all you have to do is defend the run it makes the game completely different, all Elon had to do was put everything into stopping our running game which they did, because we could not throw the ball AT ALL

Anyways that game is not my main point, I don't want to take anything away from Elon really bro, they whipped us. Just want it to be clear Furman with Harris Roberts is a completely different team, he even helps our defense out allowing them to actually rest with ball control lol.

Which is also proven by showing how important Cheek and Summers are to Elon, FCS teams can be made or broken on the heels of a couple really good players