PDA

View Full Version : Your Conference 2007 FCS playoff predictions..

KAUMASS
March 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I am off work for a few days, and have some time on my hands for some threads. I am putting out some feelers to brush up for the 2007 season, especially outside of our new conference alignment, the CAA conference. I am in withdrawel mode as there hasn't been any football for a while. Please try to be subjective, not homer in nature. Thanks!!

Who do you think from your conference will make it in? Who will be the sleeper?

Big Sky-we know, Montana-anyone else in this year?

Colonial-my picks are JMU, Maine & UMass.
Maine-could have and probably should have beaten UNH and UMass last year. UMass still has alot of talent left over. New Hampshire could replace either UMass or UMaine. Delaware will be the sleeper of 2007 and return to prominence.

Southern: Appalachian State( another tough one to pick) and Georgia Southern.
I think Georgia Southern is po'd and will play tough in 2007 as they have a chip on their shoulder as they prove 2006 was a fluke. Played tough in 2006, was on the shortside of the scoreboard. Did not lose by alot of points. Furman usually seems to be in the hunt as well.

Teams from other conferences we see and hear alot about outside of our CAA conference(formely A-10): Thoughts for these teams...?
North Dakota St -eligible this year for FCS?
Cal Poly
Southern Illinois
McNeese St
Youngstown St.
Portland St.
Illinois St
Northern Iowa
Texas St

MEAC-Hampton is usually the only one we hear about-lost alot of seniors last year if I remember..

Patriot-every couple of years you guys have a powerhouse team that can play with anyone in the country-Will you have a team like that that is head and shoulders above or another year like last year with 3-4 teams having a shot? Who is it this year-Colgate, Lafayatte, Lehigh?-Holy Cross a sleeper this year? UMass is playing Holy Cross this year..

IVY-sorry, decent football but you guys don't play in the FCS playoffs.

HBCU's-good football as well, but you guys do your own thing instead of FCS playoffs.

I think we all brush up on all the conferences and auto-bids come playoff selection time, but we slowly forget during off season! If I left out your deserving team or conference, it wasn't intentional!xpeacex

griz37
March 28th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I think Montana St & Portland St. will be the top contenders to dethrone Montana in the Big Sky.

saccat
March 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I don't think it is the griz and everyone else. dUMb will be very good this year, but so will MSU and PSU. I think it will come down to how PSU can do at dUMb, and how MSU can do at PSU. CAT/griz is anyones guess. It is in Bozeman so that gives us a home field edge.

NE MT GRIZZ
March 28th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I think Montana St & Portland St. will be the top contenders to dethrone Montana in the Big Sky.

I agree, but the Griz will still win the BSC.
MSU and PSU will still get at-large berths in the playoffs IMO

UNHWildCats
March 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Maine-could have and probably should have beaten UNH and UMass last year. UMass still has alot of talent left over. New Hampshire could replace either UMass or UMaine. Delaware will be the sleeper of 2007 and return to prominence.

UNH coulda and and prolly shoulda beat UMass both times last year :p see we can both play the shoulda/coulda game but the fact of the matter is we didnt and Maine didnt.

UMass and UNH are the class of the CAA North in 2007

Go...gate
March 28th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I'm thinking Lehigh or Holy Cross in the Patriot League.

CrazyCat
March 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I'm biased but I think the Cats are going to surprise everyone and win the BSC. I have a feeling its going to be a very interesting year in not only the BSC but all of FCS. But I could be full of BS.xsmiley_wix

OL FU
March 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Big Sky - Montana is obviously the team to beat......and I think Montana State just might do it. I know a lot of people are looking at PSU (and with good reason) but from my quick look they lose a lot more than MSU and MSU has Montana at homexnodx of Course MSU has to go to PSUxsmiley_wix

SoCon- Georgia Southern will be back sometime and will be better this year. But I am not sure I am ready to say a 2006 3-8 Eagle is in the playoffs in 2007. Furman and Wofford look to me to be the SoCon partners with ASU. Furman may have the advantage since Wofford comes to Greenville to play. Citadel is a possibility but I will still think they have some time left before Higgins puts them in the playoffs (but it will happen)

CAA - Does Maine bring back most of their team? I UMASS JMU is possible but I would probably say UNH again.

Gateway I am choosing ( at least for now ) UNI. There will be others I just need a little time to figure it out who.

Southlands - SHSU and McNeese (not sure but I would start here)

Big South - CCU loses two teams of players. I have a hard time believing they will be as good as last year. and if not the Big South may not participate this year.

MEAC - Hard to go against Hampton

NEC, MAAC PFL, not yet.

Who did I forget?

OL FU
March 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking Lehigh or Holy Cross in the Patriot League.

Ok I forgot the Patriot Leaguexeyebrowx

I'll get back to youxsmiley_wix

catbob
March 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
PSU is a big question mark right now. Replacing Walsh won't be easy, even for Granville, but if that team wins early, there could be some pretty good crowds at PGE for once. He needs to start off fast. McBride's first game as Weber coach drew 17,000! Against a DII if I remember correctly. But it went downhill from there.

The biggest lose for PSU, IMO, is the Lupfer (spelling?), the DC. PSU was known around the conference as a very good defensive squad, and many players wanted him to be the next HC, let alone stay at DC. Glanville let him go, and it will be interesting to see how their defense plays this year.

As for the Cats, I see no reason why the Cats won't be better this year than they were last year. All three running backs are finally healthy (knock on wood), and we return both starting QBs, all our starting TEs, and most of our OL. Defense loses a lot in the secondary, but we have guys ready to step up (again, knock on wood).

As long as we continue our tradition of pretty darn good transfer WRs, to go along with the three returning WRs who saw time last year, I think this is set to be the best Bobcat team in 20 years.

CrazyCat
March 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
"As long as we continue our tradition of pretty darn good transfer WRs, to go along with the three returning WRs who saw time last year, I think this is set to be the best Bobcat team in 20 years."

Amen brotherxthumbsupx

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 01:56 PM
georgia southern is not a playoff contender this year...

I think ASU will get the auto bid and it will come down to either furman or wofford for the other spot and i would say its a toss up at this point

HIU 93
March 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM
MEAC-Hampton is usually the only one we hear about-lost alot of seniors last year if I remember..

HBCU's-good football as well, but you guys do your own thing instead of FCS playoffs.

The MEAC is a conference made up of HBCUs. Hampton is an HBCU.

HIU 93
March 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hampton wins the MEAC. SCSU places second. With the MEAC strength of schedule and increased RPI this year, Hampton and SCSU get into the playoffs.

The Gadfly
March 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hate to say it, but Coastal will beat Furman and GSU this season with a bunch of young and talented Beach Hatchlings. Our defense is coming around a little slow, but I see it coming together before playing time. I'm kinda scared of this PC team with their new coach and abilility to win away from home. All and all, with our weak schedule (other than GSU & Furman) we won't get an invite. :(

OL FU
March 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hate to say it, but Coastal will beat Furman and GSU this season with a bunch of young and talented Beach Hatchlings. Our defense is coming around a little slow, but I see it coming together before playing time. I'm kinda scared of this PC team with their new coach and abilility to win away from home. All and all, with our weak schedule (other than GSU & Furman) we won't get an invite. :(

I hate that you said it too:p

RichH2
March 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Patriot league has over last few years been a 3 horse race ending in ties more often than not. LU regains control this year with undefeated PL . HC has QB not much else. LC has no qb with solid team ditto Gate. Fordham, GU upset specials bucknell large ?

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 02:12 PM
NOT SO SURE ABOUT THOSE TWO WINS YOU PREDICT

JoshUCA
March 28th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I have one prediction from the Southland Conference: UCA will NOT be in the playoffs!xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
March 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Ain't no way in the world that Coastal beats Furman in '07. Don't know about Ga.So., but of the two, Coastal has a better chance against Ga.So. If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would have a hard time betting on Coastal in either of these games, Beach Hatchlings being what they are.

mebisonII
March 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
North Dakota St -eligible this year for FCS?

NDSU has one more year left to sharpen their horns before they are eligible for the rodeo.

Sir William
March 28th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Hate to say it, but Coastal will beat Furman this season with a bunch of young and talented Beach Hatchlings.

Yeah, I remember my first beer. Sober up...it's only Wednesday.

KAUMASS
March 28th, 2007, 03:32 PM
The MEAC is a conference made up of HBCUs. Hampton is an HBCU.

Thanks for the update.. As I stated, I don't know very much about the MEAC..xthumbsupx

Peems
March 28th, 2007, 03:51 PM
The Bobcats may be better than they were last year, but the Griz will be better as well. The Griz shouldn't falter in their first games since they are all at home against teams that the Griz should beat. With the Cats it always seems to be a rough start, mixed in with a great finish. If the Cats can handle the beginning of the year and get PSU down in Portalnd and avoid the other Big Sky teams, and the Griz do the same, I see no reason why the title won't come down to Cat/Griz. With that being said cats go 0-11xsmiley_wix

FlyYtown
March 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Gateway
--I see the battle between UNI and YSU. Southern Illinois will have a tough time replacing the man that has brought them to greatness the last 4 years; of course that would be Arkee Whitlock. YSU has to replace Mason and Gibson; but I'm hearing of some I-A Transfers close to coming in..

GOKATS
March 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM
The Bobcats may be better than they were last year, but the Griz will be better as well. The Griz shouldn't falter in their first games since they are all at home against teams that the Griz should beat. With the Cats it always seems to be a rough start, mixed in with a great finish. If the Cats can handle the beginning of the year and get PSU down in Portalnd and avoid the other Big Sky teams, and the Griz do the same, I see no reason why the title won't come down to Cat/Griz. With that being said cats go 10-1 (loss to Texas A&M)xsmiley_wix

Fixed it for ya.xnodx

AggiePride
March 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM
We will be there. Count on it.

Great West is getting no love.

RabidRabbit
March 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Great West will again be an incredibly tight 4 way race with the 2 xDSU's and the CA schools. The margins of victories between the 4 schools will be generally less than a TD. SUU has chosen a path that they will regret at the end of the season with a goose egg in the win column. xbawlingx xbawlingx

NDSU appears to be a lead candidate to repeat, but they have Poly and SDSU away this year, and Davis at home. I see the Bison stumbling against the Jacks and Stangs, plus their two FBS teams to go 7-4, so 2-2 in conference.

Poly gets only NDSU at home this year, and plays Davis, SUU, and SDSU away. Poly was a decent QB and running back from being a dominant team last year, and are reloaded (like NDSU) for another strong run. Will they stumble at any of the other 3 schools? I bet they will for Davis, and likely at SDSU also. I also think they'll use that homefield advantage well against Bison. Poly ends up 8-3, and 2-2 in conference, squeezes into play-offs.

SDSU has a 3 home 1 away schedule in conference, with Davis the away game. Davis exacts it's revenge on the Rabbits for the last two years' 1-point losses, and in the same accursed ways of a steller last minute march and win that Jacks have created for them. Jacks finish 8-3, but 3-1 in GWFC action.

Davis is home against the Jacks and Stangs, and wins those + SUU to tie SDSU for the title at 3-1. NDSU shows Aggies how loud the FargoDome is, and rocks them. If there is a blow-out loss among the 4 teams this year, it will be Davis in Fargo. Davis finishes 9-2, and makes the play-offs in their first year of eligibility.

SUU has bit off an 11 game schedule, 10 vs top 25 FCS teams, and a top 5 D-II (soon to be conference mate UND), that will leave them battered and bruised and 0-11. They will be in every game, and if ANYBODY thinks that they'll cakewalk the T-birds, the T-birds will get rid of that goose egg.

PapaBear
March 28th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Lofty praise and much appreciated. But I beg to differ. Our losses were few in number but VERY big in stature: Four All A-10 players and a four-year starter at QB ... not to mention an OC who was on staff for nearly two decades.

The good news is, the entire O-Line is back, as are many quality guys from one of the nation's best defenses.

Here's a link to the Spring Prospectus fresh off the website.

http://www.fansonly.com/photos/schools/main/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/07-spring-prospectus.pdf

rokamortis
March 28th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Ain't no way in the world that Coastal beats Furman in '07. Don't know about Ga.So., but of the two, Coastal has a better chance against Ga.So. If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would have a hard time betting on Coastal in either of these games, Beach Hatchlings being what they are.

I'm counting the Furman game as a loss, but I wouldn't count it up as one automatically. I thought you guys learned your lesson last year :D

rokamortis
March 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM

I think we ahve a shot at GSu at home. Not so much at Furman. I think PC could be dangerous but not more than any other Big South team. I think Liberty and Gardner-Webb have the best shot at being the top team if Coastal has a down year.

89Hen
March 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Good grief, predictions in March. xrotatehx

I'm going with the chalk:
Big Sky - Montana
Colonial - JMU
Gateway - UNI
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - EKU
Patriot - Lehigh
Southern - AppSt
Southland - McNeese

At large: UMass, Delaware, Furman, ISU, YSU, CalPoly, Coastal, PSU

*Disclaimer - I reserve my right to change these picks at any time and as many times as I like.

Peems
March 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Big Sky - Montana
Colonial - JMU
Gateway - UNI
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - EKU
Patriot - Lehigh
Southern - AppSt
Southland - McNeese

*Disclaimer - I reserve my right to change these picks at any time and as many times as I like.

We are only about 5 months away...xbawlingx

dawwggboy
March 28th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Patriot league has over last few years been a 3 horse race ending in ties more often than not. LU regains control this year with undefeated PL . HC has QB not much else. LC has no qb with solid team ditto Gate. Fordham, GU upset specials bucknell large ?

Tle league suprises every year. It' any teams opportunity for league champ --- ecxcept Georgetown

dawwggboy
March 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Tle league suprises every year. It' any teams opportunity for league champ --- except Georgetown

Cocky
March 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM
OVC will be represented by Jacksonville State with EKU,EIU and Tenn State fighting for second. This year's OVC will be the deepest since JSU joined the conference. Martin should also have a good team. Murray will be better under their new coach. Not sure about Tenn Tech and Samford their new coaches have never produced at the HC level. Brown and Sullivan have had a winning season or two but no consistence.

KAUMASS
March 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Lofty praise and much appreciated. But I beg to differ. Our losses were few in number but VERY big in stature: Four All A-10 players and a four-year starter at QB ... not to mention an OC who was on staff for nearly two decades.

The good news is, the entire O-Line is back, as are many quality guys from one of the nation's best defenses.

Here's a link to the Spring Prospectus fresh off the website.

http://www.fansonly.com/photos/schools/main/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/07-spring-prospectus.pdf

I am picking Maine for your defense. With most of your defensive guys coming back, you have a shot. Boston College had what, 100 yards rushing against you guys last year? Even though you are losing Whitcomb at QB, your offense isn't flashy and not big play orientated, although you did have a deep ball completed against UMass.. The QB in your system doesn't have to be flashy to be productive. If you pick up a deep threat or a strong back emerges like a Carl Smith, watch out. You guys every couple of years have a extremely strong team, and you are due. Your O line is back and if your offense is a little more productive, things will be good in Orono. If I am not mistaken, Maine was the last team to beat App. State in the playoffs 3 years ago.. your sophmores and freshman on that team that beat App. St. are now your leaders. You guys would have been an at large last year except for the loss at URI, which was a fluke in that monsoon with 40 mph wind and URI kicking a 50 yarder with the wind to win 3-0. I think Maine steps up a notch in 2007.

KAUMASS
March 28th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Maine will also give UConn all they can handle in their season opener.

EKU05
OVC will be represented by Jacksonville State with EKU,EIU and Tenn State fighting for second. This year's OVC will be the deepest since JSU joined the conference. Martin should also have a good team. Murray will be better under their new coach. Not sure about Tenn Tech and Samford their new coaches have never produced at the HC level. Brown and Sullivan have had a winning season or two but no consistence.

Are you kidding me? IMO Martin should be everyone's top pick. EKU and JSU will both be hot on their tale (we can do it if we just don't stumble out of the gate so badly). I'm going to wait and see on EIU.

Samford should be primed to a solid year of farewell beatings...

WrenFGun
There's a lot of UMass love going on. I think it's pretty much a toss-up between a lot of teams. Maine, UNH and UMass have equal chances, I think, in the North. I kind of like Delaware as the favorite in the south.

CopperCat
March 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Your Conference 2007 FCS playoff predictions....

YEAH RIGHT!!! The snow hasn't even melted all the way yet, and we're doing this already? How about a thread on spring drills or something? Not playoff predictions.

Even Nostradamius is raising an eyebrow.xeyebrowx

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Big Sky - Montana
Colonial - JMU
Gateway - UNI
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - EKU
Patriot - Lehigh
Southern - AppSt
Southland - McNeese

Disclaimer - I reserve my right to change these picks at any time and as many times as I like.
That goes for me as well it is a very fluid situation in March as we are still closer by way of the calender to the title game than we are to next seasons kickoff

KAUMASS
March 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
There's a lot of UMass love going on. I think it's pretty much a toss-up between a lot of teams. Maine, UNH and UMass have equal chances, I think, in the North. I kind of like Delaware as the favorite in the south.

The 3 teams are close, but I think Maine beats UMass and UNH this year. Whoever wins the UMass /UNH game gets in as an at large team. Does Maine play Delaware or JMU this year?

GeauxColonels
March 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Any discussion of the SLC outcome HAS to start with Sam Houston State due to Rhet Bomar. He's been in the system long enough now to know how to work it and, as long as his supporting cast plays up to snuff, he should be one of the conference's passing leaders.

McNeese State it the likely runner-up in the conference, but it's really anyboy's guess at this point.

GOTOREROS
March 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Your Conference 2007 FCS playoff predictions....

YEAH RIGHT!!! The snow hasn't even melted all the way yet, and we're doing this already? How about a thread on spring drills or something? Not playoff predictions.

Even Nostradamius is raising an eyebrow.xeyebrowx

What the heck is "snow"? :D

GOTOREROS

eagle1
March 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Big Sky - Montana and Montana State
Big South - Coastal Carolina
Colonial - UMASS, James Madison and Maine
Gateway - Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa
Great West - North Dakota State and Cal Poly
MEAC - Hampton
Ohio Valley - Eastern Illinois
Patriot - Lehigh
Southern - Appalachian State and Western Carolina
Southland - McNeese State

I wanted to be a homer and pick EWU but I think that it is unrealistic after last seasons 3-8. I do however think that they will rebound and be in the top 3 of the conference. I think that they will just miss the playoffs at 7-4. Go Eagles!!!

ronpayne
March 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I'd love to predict that ASU will win the SOCON. One MINOR issue - we don't even know our schedule yet! I mean, we might be able to sweep the SOCON, but if we lose any key players in big non-conf. games, we could be in deep trouble. So, how about our schedule (or lack thereof). Anybody else still waiting to find out we they get to play? Sucks to be the I-AA big dog in the house - nobody wants to play us!

Good luck with all your predictions - I hope we all go 10-0. (right...)

bobbythekidd
March 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM

I wanted to be a homer.
Mission accomplished.:D

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Any discussion of the SLC outcome HAS to start with Sam Houston State due to Rhet Bomar. He's been in the system long enough now to know how to work it and, as long as his supporting cast plays up to snuff, he should be one of the conference's passing leaders.

McNeese State it the likely runner-up in the conference, but it's really anyboy's guess at this point.

It's a nice thought...

The good thing is we will know a lot about our club early in SLC play as in the second week of conference play, the Kats hit the road to Lake Charles to battle the Pokes...

I'm hoping the Kats come to play in week one against UCA. That'll be a tough one. UCA beat the Kats last year...though UCA lost quite a bit. Nothing is a guarantee in the SLC...

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hampton wins the MEAC. SCSU places second. With the MEAC strength of schedule and increased RPI this year, Hampton and SCSU get into the playoffs.

Doubtful...

Two reasons. South Carolina. Air Force.

South Carolina State will be lucky that Winston Salem State counts as a Div I this year.

I don't see SCSU finishing better than 7-4. They'll fall to the two FBS schools, lose to Hampton and probably trip against FAMU or BCC...

thirdgendin
March 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
MEAC - Hampton
Patriot - Lehigh

I wanted to be a homer and pick EWU but I think that it is unrealistic after last seasons 3-8. I do however think that they will rebound and be in the top 3 of the conference. I think that they will just miss the playoffs at 7-4. Go Eagles!!!

Western Carolina? From 0-7 in conference to the playoffs in one year?! You must know something that the rest of us don't. xconfusedx

Appalachian, Furman, and Wofford should challenge for 2/3 spots from the SoCon with The Citadel and Georgia Southern possibly making a charge.

TheValleyRaider
March 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Lehigh should be the favorite in the League at this point, I think. Fewer question marks than Lafayette or Colgate. Holy Cross could also challenge for the title this year, but I'm still not sure they'll get the 2 wins against the Big 3 they'll need to win the auto-bid. I'll also be optimistic and say the PL will have a better OOC season and the runner-up will challenge for an at-large.

PSUVikings
March 28th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I think we will come out of nowhere this year

PaladinFan
March 28th, 2007, 11:05 PM
The SoCon will finish again with Furman and ASU holding the top two spots in some order. Wofford will have a good chance of making a playoff bid, but they don't have the firepower to hang with those other two right now.

GSU will win more, they may very well beat Furman, but they won't make the playoffs.

I'm not huge on bold statements, but if Coastal beats Furman this year I'll eat my shorts. Furman will be stocked with seniors playing, playing at home where we rarely lose, and coming out with a chip on their shoulder for a fluke loss the year before. If Furman's team is healthy, Paladins will roll over the chants App State style.

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 11:21 PM
ASU will be better than furman with the small exception of us having to play you down in greenville

rokamortis
March 29th, 2007, 07:43 AM
a fluke loss the year before.
xcoffeex aren't they all xlolx

RabidRabbit
March 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM
MEAC - Hampton
Patriot - Lehigh

Unfortunately Bison and Bunnies have another year of transition prior to being play-off eligible. So, IF the GWFC gets two teams in, it will be Poly and Davis.

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I dont think a non auto bid conference is ever going to get 2 teams in especially when the best team in that conference is not eligible for the playoffs (GWFC/NDSU)!

mcveyrl
March 29th, 2007, 08:44 AM
The 3 teams are close, but I think Maine beats UMass and UNH this year. Whoever wins the UMass /UNH game gets in as an at large team. Does Maine play Delaware or JMU this year?

I think the CAA is on the same rotation as last year, with the sights switching. JMU plays the same north teams as last year.

OL FU
March 29th, 2007, 09:00 AM
xcoffeex aren't they all xlolx

What you talking aboutxeyebrowx xlolx

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I think the CAA is on the same rotation as last year, with the sights switching. JMU plays the same north teams as last year.
That seems like a silly rotation to play the same teams from the other division each year

PapaBear
March 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM
That seems like a silly rotation to play the same teams from the other division each year

That's not what they do.

They do a home-away with three teams from the other division. Then, in the third year, they start a home-away with the "other" three teams.

This year, Maine's in its 2nd year of playing Nova, Towson and W&M, from the CAA South. Next year, Maine will start a 2-yr home-away with Delaware, JMU and Richmond.

Works out fine.

TexasTerror
March 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Most conferences do this...two year rotations, so you get a home-and-home before switching your foes from the opposite division. Not just an FCS thing as the Big XII does it...

ChickenMan
March 29th, 2007, 10:17 AM

It's not the same pponents each year.. I think the rotation is every two years. You play three (half the other divison) for two consecutive years than switch to the other three for the next two seasons.

Tilldog40
March 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
For the CAA I am gonna say NU. I only say that because they were very competitive last year and they pretty much have the whole team coming back this year while other teams in the north took some hard graduation hits.

Spooney-Cat
March 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM
The Southland is a crapshoot. You can name Sam Houston and McNeese as the frontrunners, but it can easily be won by either those two, or Texas State. We have a lot of question marks in the air right now with some of our better players leaving, but we are switching up our offensive and defensive schemes tremendously.

TBD..

mcveyrl
March 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
It's not the same pponents each year.. I think the rotation is every two years. You play three (half the other divison) for two consecutive years than switch to the other three for the next two seasons.

That is the rotation.

HensRock
March 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM
For the CAA I am gonna say NU. I only say that because they were very competitive last year and they pretty much have the whole team coming back this year while other teams in the north took some hard graduation hits.

Interesting.
Here are some other Zingers. Remember these Sleeper picks come November. xnodx These are teams that won't necessarily win their conferences, but I think will surprise a lot of people this year with how much they've improved - the ones that will seemingly come out of nowhere. Looking past the same-old favorites, these are my dark horses.

BSC: Montana....STATE
CAA: Northeastern (North) / Delaware (South)
Southern: The Citadel
Southland: Southeastern
Big South: Liberty
Patriot: If I have to step outside the usual 3, it's Georgetown
Gateway: Indiana State (not a challenger, but not their usual spot in the cellar either. The Sycs will be most improved team in the conference)
OVC: Tennessee-Martin
MEAC: Delaware State

Mountaineer#96
March 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM
What you talking aboutxeyebrowx xlolx

One of Furman's flukes this past season xrotatehx xrotatehx

Furman (6-3) vs. Appalachian State (8-1)
Date: 10/28/2006
Attendance: 24,447

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 - Total
Furman ----------> 7 0 0 0 - 7
Appalachian State 0 14 12 14 - 40 xnodx

OL FU
March 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
One of Furman's flukes this past season xrotatehx xrotatehx

Furman (6-3) vs. Appalachian State (8-1)
Date: 10/28/2006
Attendance: 24,447

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 - Total
Furman ----------> 7 0 0 0 - 7
Appalachian State 0 14 12 14 - 40 xnodx

That score was more of a fluke than getting beat by CCUxsmiley_wix

ucdtim17
March 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I dont think a non auto bid conference is ever going to get 2 teams in especially when the best team in that conference is not eligible for the playoffs (GWFC/NDSU)!

Judge the teams on their individual merits, not based on your opinion that the GWFC shouldn't get more than one team in. And the best team in '06 is not automatically the best team in '07.

HIU 93
March 29th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Doubtful...

Two reasons. South Carolina. Air Force.

South Carolina State will be lucky that Winston Salem State counts as a Div I this year.

I don't see SCSU finishing better than 7-4. They'll fall to the two FBS schools, lose to Hampton and probably trip against FAMU or BCC...

SCSU goes 9-3. They only lose to us in the MEAC. The FBS games don't count against playoff consideration.

Black Saturday
March 29th, 2007, 01:29 PM
That score was more of a fluke than getting beat by CCUxsmiley_wix

Was Montana State a fluke too?xwhistlex

89Hen
March 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
The FBS games don't count against playoff consideration.
Since when?

catbob
March 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Ugh, I still have nightmares about Jefferson running backwards throwing into double coverage. xnonono2x

Anyways, I think PSU will be good next year, but I wouldn't say they will come out of nowhere. They were ranked in the top 25 most of the year, were they not? Ali will be good, even though we shut him down (we shut down most DI running backs haha), and I think White could be the real deal. I'm still worried the loss of your DC is going to be a bigger blow than people think.

EWU should be much improved, but still lacks star power.

BSC should come down to Montana, MSU and PSU. It will boil down to which of the other 6 teams will play spoiler to one of the big three. Montana has a big advantage in that department, as they don't have many let-down games. MSU is prone to those, and PSU is just... PSU, can never quite turn the corner.

I'm definately worried about traveling to PGE this year, you ruined us 2 years ago. :P

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Judge the teams on their individual merits, not based on your opinion that the GWFC shouldn't get more than one team in. And the best team in '06 is not automatically the best team in '07.
I am just saying i dont believe uc davis and cal poly both deserve a playoff spot this year... of course if one goes 11-0 and the other 10-1 this year i reserve my right to change my opinion but i dont see that happening

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I think PSU is the kind of team that can make a serious run deep into december but i think the furthest they could go is the semis

OL FU
March 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM

No cuz we don't hate them as much as we hate you. :p

Bison05
March 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I am just saying i dont believe uc davis and cal poly both deserve a playoff spot this year... of course if one goes 11-0 and the other 10-1 this year i reserve my right to change my opinion but i dont see that happening

If boths teams go 8-3 or 9-2, they will be in the playoffs. They both have good OOC schedules and play in one of the hardest conferences in FCS.

OL FU
March 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Sometimes it is easy to get off track so I will correct.

I don't think FUs loss to CCU was a fluke.
I don't think FUs lopsided loss to ASU was a fluke. I do think it was the score differential was bigger than the talent differential with the understanding that ASU was still much better than Furman.

Montana State - I blame on the altitudexlolx

JALMOND
March 29th, 2007, 07:10 PM
The Big Sky will likely turn into Montana and everyone else. Montana State will probably finish close and Portland State just a shade behind the Montana schools. Both the Griz and Vikings have probably the two biggest question marks (1. Will Flexy Lexy return to the form he had before the injury, and 2. How big a splash will Glanville make for PSU), and the Cats return the QB with the most experience in the conference. That said, the conference race will come down to November when all three teams play each other. Interesting, kind of like a conference tournament.

Predictions right now for the Big Sky...

1. Montana
2. Montana State
3. Portland State
4. Northern Arizona
5. E Washington
6. Weber State
7. Idaho State
8. Sacramento State
9. Northern Colorado

Actually, I see the Bears making extreme progress this year, narrowing the gap quite a bit, yet still finishing last. Overall, I still think the first game of the year between McNeese and Portland State will go a long way towards determining an at large as I think the loser would have to win their conference to gain a berth in the playoffs. The winner might just get in due to this game, if they are eligible.

windwalker
March 29th, 2007, 07:30 PM
The SoCon will finish again with Furman and ASU holding the top two spots in some order. Wofford will have a good chance of making a playoff bid, but they don't have the firepower to hang with those other two right now.

GSU will win more, they may very well beat Furman, but they won't make the playoffs.

I'm not huge on bold statements, but if Coastal beats Furman this year I'll eat my shorts. Furman will be stocked with seniors playing, playing at home where we rarely lose, and coming out with a chip on their shoulder for a fluke loss the year before. If Furman's team is healthy, Paladins will roll over the chants App State style.
Hope you have a lot of A-1 sauce with that!!!!
xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

eagle1
March 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM
1. Montana (Playoffs)
2. Montana State (Playoffs)
3. Eastern Washington (Misses playoffs with 4 losses)
4. Portland State (Misses playoffs with 4 losses as well)
5. Northern Arizona
6. Weber State
7. Sacramento State
8. Northern Colorado
9. Idaho State

I sure hope that I am wrong and EWU wins the conference but I think that we will just come up short. Go Eagles!!!

Mountaineer#96
March 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hope you have a lot of A-1 sauce with that!!!!
xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

I'll take a bite of those shorts as well.

R.A.
March 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM

We're getting two teams in this season... and we're getting a playoff victory.

rokamortis
March 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
We're getting two teams in this season... and we're getting a playoff victory.

I'm not sure if you guys are guaranteed 2 bids in 2007, but I know that you were awefully close last year and that it is within reach.

appfan2008
March 30th, 2007, 12:21 AM
1. Montana (Playoffs)
2. Montana State (Playoffs)
3. Eastern Washington (Misses playoffs with 4 losses)
4. Portland State (Misses playoffs with 4 losses as well)
5. Northern Arizona
6. Weber State
7. Sacramento State
8. Northern Colorado
9. Idaho State

I sure hope that I am wrong and EWU wins the conference but I think that we will just come up short. Go Eagles!!!
that is the highest i have seen ewu in this entire thread...

could that be a slight homer pick???

Mr. C
March 30th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Poly was a decent QB and running back from being a dominant team last year, and are reloaded (like NDSU) for another strong run.
Ever heard of an All-American RB named James Noble? All he has are 2,587 yards rushing in his first two years. Whatever problems that Cal Poly had last year, running back wasn't one of them. Now quarterback was a different story and the Mustangs have addressed that this season and should be much better in their NEW offense.

Mr. C
March 30th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I am picking Maine for your defense. With most of your defensive guys coming back, you have a shot. Boston College had what, 100 yards rushing against you guys last year? Even though you are losing Whitcomb at QB, your offense isn't flashy and not big play orientated, although you did have a deep ball completed against UMass.. The QB in your system doesn't have to be flashy to be productive. If you pick up a deep threat or a strong back emerges like a Carl Smith, watch out. You guys every couple of years have a extremely strong team, and you are due. Your O line is back and if your offense is a little more productive, things will be good in Orono. If I am not mistaken, Maine was the last team to beat App. State in the playoffs 3 years ago.. your sophmores and freshman on that team that beat App. St. are now your leaders. You guys would have been an at large last year except for the loss at URI, which was a fluke in that monsoon with 40 mph wind and URI kicking a 50 yarder with the wind to win 3-0. I think Maine steps up a notch in 2007.
Maine was not only the last team to beat Appalachian State in the playoffs, the Black Bears were the last visiting team to win in Boone. But that victory was in the first round of the 2002 playoffs. There are NO members of that Maine team that should still be around. App State had one guy left who played in that game, All-American TE Daniel Bettis, but he finished up his eligibility in 2006. Maine has a lot of holes to fill and also has to break in some new coaches. It's too early to speculate on what the Black Bears will do in 2007.

catbob
March 30th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Noble is a great RB, and Poly added Ryan Cole to the mix, they could be scary good.

appfan2008
March 30th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Maine was not only the last team to beat Appalachian State in the playoffs, the Black Bears were the last visiting team to win in Boone. But that victory was in the first round of the 2002 playoffs. There are NO members of that Maine team that should still be around. App State had one guy left who played in that game, All-American TE Daniel Bettis, but he finished up his eligibility in 2006. Maine has a lot of holes to fill and also has to break in some new coaches. It's too early to speculate on what the Black Bears will do in 2007.
app state just had an entire class of students go through without losing a football game which is awesome and if we dont lose at home this year... my class wont lose a home game either...

currently we didnt lose in 03 04 05 06 and lets make it 07 also for us rising seniors

CopperCat
March 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM
that is the highest i have seen ewu in this entire thread...

could that be a slight homer pick???

You seem to cheer your team on quite profusely, so shutup and leave the guy alone.

CopperCat
March 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM
xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex xdeadhorsex

JMG1MON
March 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I don't know enough about the rest of the conferences but I'll make a prediction about mine. Noone from the NEC will make it.

lizrdgizrd
March 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
app state just had an entire class of students go through without losing a home football game which is awesome and if we dont lose at home this year... my class wont lose a home game either...

currently we didnt lose at home in 03 04 05 06 and lets make it 07 also for us rising seniors
Just thought I'd clarify your statements a bit. xthumbsupx

DHill
March 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Be prepared to see the trophy stay in the MOST DOMINATE Conference in FCS.....THE ALMIGHTY SOUTHERN CONFERENCE. The only Conference that consistantly brings multiple squads to the playoff!!!!! Go Mocs!

Peems
March 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Noble is a great RB, and Poly added Ryan Cole to the mix, they could be scary good.

I believe you mean Ryan Mole it's alright though rep points for bringing it up.

Peems
March 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Be prepared to see the trophy stay in the MOST DOMINATE Conference in FCS.....THE ALMIGHTY SOUTHERN CONFERENCE. The only Conference that consistantly brings multiple squads to the playoff!!!!! Go Mocs!

Besides the Gateway, and the A-10 and the Big Sky...

lizrdgizrd
March 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM
xnonono2x

OL FU
March 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Black Saturday
Was Montana State a fluke too?

I told you.
It was the altitudexlolx

Black Saturday
March 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM

This is not about Montana State. Some Furman fans over the years think it is a fluke when ASU beats them. I just saw where it was posted that ASUs 40-7 win (score) was a fluke. That just reminded me that APP beat Montana State and Coastal soundly and Montana State and Coastal beat Furman in 2006. Usually the FU game is close but I don't think 40-7 vs. Furman was a fluke based on the way APP beat most teams all year.

catbob
March 30th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I don't think any App State game was a fluke, nor was any score. App was just that good.

Col Hogan
March 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think any App State game was a fluke, nor was any score. App was just that good.

Amen, brother...

Tiger2050
March 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
CAA
Don't count out the Tigers, pretty much returning whole team and the QB that makes it go. Looking to take next step to the play offs.

appfan2008
March 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
That was a very nice honest post...

Truthfully I hope that when/if:p asu falls off the top I can be that nice to the team that is obviously the cream of the crop in fcs!:)

KAUMASS
March 31st, 2007, 08:41 AM
CAA
Don't count out the Tigers, pretty much returning whole team and the QB that makes it go. Looking to take next step to the play offs.

I agree Towson is on the verge..They had some good wins in 2006 and are on the radar screen this year!!

slostang
March 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM
I see the GWFC as a four team race between NDSU, Cal Poly, SDSU and UC Davis with all four having a good shot at the championship. I see Southern Utah as a very improved team that will play the spoiler role and give one of the top four an unexpected loss. I honestly think that the top four teams could finish anywhere from first to fourth but if I had to give a prediction I would say:

1) Cal Poly
2) NDSU
3) UC Davis
4) SDSU
5) SUU

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 05:32 PM
I see the GWFC as a four team race between NDSU, Cal Poly, SDSU and UC Davis with all four having a good shot at the championship. I see Southern Utah as a very improved team that will play the spoiler role and give one of the top four an unexpected loss. I honestly think that the top four teams could finish anywhere from first to fourth but if I had to give a prediction I would say:

1) Cal Poly
2) NDSU
3) UC Davis
4) SDSU
5) SUU
the only thing i can say for sure in that conference is that suu will finish last with that absurd schedule

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM
Most conferences do this...two year rotations, so you get a home-and-home before switching your foes from the opposite division. Not just an FCS thing as the Big XII does it...

Big 12 does it....
SEC does it...
ACC does it...

appfan2008
March 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM
I just figured you would play three teams from the other division one year (home or away) then the other three the next year but i guess it works either way

BDKJMU
April 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
All and all, with our weak schedule (other than GSU & Furman) we won't get an invite. :(

Uhh, you forgot about AT JMU Sept 22xnonox . I wouldn't exactly call them weak- they should be ranked preseason top 20. And there will be LOTS of players who were on the team that suffered that 05' upset in SC that knocked JMU from the #1 ranking who will be looking for a little payback.

I don't see CC beating GSU, Furman, or JMU. Plus you've got to play at Del State, who should be pretty good. The rest of your OOC (Winston Salem State, Presbyterian and Chowan (aren't those last 2 DII?) means you'd probably have to go 9-2 on that schedule, which would mean pulling a couple of upsets, including probably one big one, to make the playoffs. Doesn't CC lose 34 or was it 38 seniors from last years team? I read that CC only has 10 starters back from last yr. I bet CC finishes no better than 7-4, maybe around .500

twentythreeOh4
April 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
It's not the same opponents each year.. I think the rotation is every two years. You play three (half the other divison) for two consecutive years than switch to the other three for the next two seasons.

Yup split conferences suck. I like conferences where everybody plays the same conference schedule. With two division conferences, it seems you always end up with situations where some of the top teams don't play each other, or one of the contenders gets to play the doormats while the other contenders don't.

rokamortis
April 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Uhh, you forgot about AT JMU Sept 22xnonox . I wouldn't exactly call them weak- they should be ranked preseason top 20. And there will be LOTS of players who were on the team that suffered that 05' upset in SC that knocked JMU from the #1 ranking who will be looking for a little payback.

I don't see CC beating GSU, Furman, or JMU. Plus you've got to play at Del State, who should be pretty good. The rest of your OOC (Winston Salem State, Presbyterian and Chowan (aren't those last 2 DII?) means you'd probably have to go 9-2 on that schedule, which would mean pulling a couple of upsets, including probably one big one, to make the playoffs. Doesn't CC lose 34 or was it 38 seniors from last years team? I read that CC only has 10 starters back from last yr. I bet CC finishes no better than 7-4, maybe around .500

you're correct that he forgot about JMU, they should be pretty good although they lose a lot of people too.

As far as how Coastal will do next year, yes we lost 36 seniors. We only bring back 10 starters or so. But some have reason to believe that we'll be ok - maybe not playoffs but certainly not .500 either.

It is hard to look at numbrs of who you lost / return and make predictions. App State lost a QB and some other key players from their first championship team but were still able to repeat. JMU returned a strong core of their national championship team yet went 7-4 the next year. It is just hard to predict.

twentythreeOh4
April 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
The Big Sky will likely turn into Montana and everyone else. Montana State will probably finish close and Portland State just a shade behind the Montana schools. Both the Griz and Vikings have probably the two biggest question marks (1. Will Flexy Lexy return to the form he had before the injury, and 2. How big a splash will Glanville make for PSU), and the Cats return the QB with the most experience in the conference. That said, the conference race will come down to November when all three teams play each other. Interesting, kind of like a conference tournament.

I don't think that's true. I believe Montana QB Cole Bergquist has more starts than either of MSU's returning QB's. Bergquist started something like 8 games as a freshman in 2005 and 1 game last year.

GeauxColonels
April 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
The Southland is a crapshoot. You can name Sam Houston and McNeese as the frontrunners, but it can easily be won by either those two, or Texas State. We have a lot of question marks in the air right now with some of our better players leaving, but we are switching up our offensive and defensive schemes tremendously.

TBD..
xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Yup split conferences suck. I like conferences where everybody plays the same conference schedule. With two division conferences, it seems you always end up with situations where some of the top teams don't play each other, or one of the contenders gets to play the doormats while the other contenders don't.
I AGREE

playing everyone in your conference every year is what football is all about

BDKJMU
April 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
you're correct that he forgot about JMU, they should be pretty good although they lose a lot of people too.

As far as how Coastal will do next year, yes we lost 36 seniors. We only bring back 10 starters or so. But some have reason to believe that we'll be ok - maybe not playoffs but certainly not .500 either.

It is hard to look at numbrs of who you lost / return and make predictions. App State lost a QB and some other key players from their first championship team but were still able to repeat. JMU returned a strong core of their national championship team yet went 7-4 the next year. It is just hard to predict.

13 starters back (6 on each side of ball plus punter), 49 letterman, and loses only 13 seniors by my count of 06 roster, although 11 of those were starters). After winning the national title in 04', and opening a 10 million athletic (mainly football) support center in 05' JMU has had 3 of their best recruiting classes ever.

Man, I can't imagine losing 36 seniors. I've never heard of that, although I'm sure people on here could pull up examples from teams past. For most teams the senior class is always the smallest due to attrition and is usually probably only half that, if that. Looks like only 4 really good teams on CC schedule, but with those losses & only 10 returning starters, I only see 6-5 or so. What are others saying CC fans and those who cover the team down your way?

You're right about JMU's 7-4 05' team. 4 losses by 3-6 points and 5 of their wins they kicked the sh%t out of people. Was better talent wise overall than the 04' national championship team.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
13 starters back (6 on each side of ball plus punter), 49 letterman, and loses only 13 seniors by my count of 06 roster, although 11 of those were starters). After winning the national title in 04', and opening a 10 million athletic (mainly football) support center in 05' JMU has had 3 of their best recruiting classes ever.

Man, I can't imagine losing 36 seniors. I've never heard of that, although I'm sure people on here could pull up examples from teams past. For most teams the senior class is always the smallest due to attrition and is usually probably only half that, if that. Looks like only 4 really good teams on CC schedule, but with those losses & only 10 returning starters, I only see 6-5 or so. What are others saying CC fans and those who cover the team down your way?

You're right about JMU's 7-4 05' team. 4 losses by 3-6 points and 5 of their wins they kicked the sh%t out of people. Was better talent wise overall than the 04' national championship team.
how many players will you have coming back in 08 when asu has to play jmu?

BDKJMU
April 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
how many players will you have coming back in 08 when asu has to play jmu?

It looks like they'll be 3 seniors starting on offense this season (LC Baker 3 yr starter at receiver and Holloman at tailback will be big losses for 08'), and should have all 5 starters on o-line for this season back for 08'. Looks like 4 senior starters on defense (Lezotte will be biggest loss, also Baranowsky was 2nd team all A-10 at DT and should make 1st team all CAA this season, maybe AA?). So looking at 16 starters back for 08' (8 off, 7 def, & punter) with Landers a year under his belt at QB so JMU should be in better shape 08' than 07'. Right now looks like a better chance at a deep playoff run and another crack at the title 08' than 07'. Course alot can happen between now & then, esp transfers. That could be a monster game early 08' season, ASU @ JMU.xthumbsupx How's ASU looking for 08'? I imagine this season they'll be preseason #1, and will stay that way even after taking their lumps in Ann Arbor.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
We lose a lot after this year... I would definately say a third title is a distinct possibility but the next year is not quite so hot... we will still have plenty of weapons of course with armanti only being a junior then but our secondary will all be seniors in 07 so who knows what will happen in 08... I think our o line will also take a hit in 08 being that there are 3 seniors there as well... we of course lose richardson after this year but we will have our entire dline back in 08... so overall i am sure we will be able to retool but i dont think we will be as good in 08 as we were in 06 or 05 or should be in 07...

hopefully it will be a great game

TheBisonator
April 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Here's what I think for the GWFC:

1) NDSU
2) Cal-Poly (In the playoffs)
3) UC Davis
4) SDSU
5) SUU

There could be a chance of two teams from the GWFC getting in, at least that's what I'm hoping for. But I'm thinking that Davis might go 8-3 and then get Woffed. Still, I think we'll have at least three (maybe four) teams in the top-25.

lizrdgizrd
April 2nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Big 12 does it....
SEC does it...
ACC does it...
They all have conference championship games...

RabidRabbit
April 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Ever heard of an All-American RB named James Noble? All he has are 2,587 yards rushing in his first two years. Whatever problems that Cal Poly had last year, running back wasn't one of them. Now quarterback was a different story and the Mustangs have addressed that this season and should be much better in their NEW offense.

Agree that Noble is a SUPER RB, but the Poly offense ended up being a 1-D team, and therefore predictable.

With a good trio in the backfield (qb, Noble, and SacSt transfer), decent receiver corps, and a fabulous D, Poly's going to be in EVERY GAME. xthumbsupx

LarryBoy
April 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
A healthy Furman will win the Southern Conference. I am NOT saying that Furman is better than App (though the gap will be closed a good bit this year), but App doesn't play incredibly well in Greenville, just like we stink it up in Boone. Everyone loves throwing around App's home winning streak against Furman...let's not forget that App has only won once in the last ten years at Paladin stadium (and that was 2003, the year that Wofford placed a curse upon us all...).

Then we'll play App in the playoffs, and the nightmare begins all over again.

Wofford will challenge, but they won't make it this year. We all talk about their strong finish last year, but they ALWAYS play at least one half of the season incredibly well. The consistency is lacking (except, again, in 2003).

And Elon fans, rest assured, your time at the bottom is nearing an end...

...because of Samford.

gophoenix
April 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM
And Elon fans, rest assured, your time at the bottom is nearing an end...

I love comments like this. 3 years in the SoCon and only 1 last place finish. And especially last year, Western Carolina was as bad as we were in 2005 yet no one talks to them this way. So really, our time at the bottom has been short anyway....

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM
Western Carolina absolutedly sucked last year... I will grant you that gophoenix!...

I like the sound of that Larryboy... we will give you the regular season if we can beat you in the playoffs :D :D :D

CID1990
April 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM

I wouldn't worry about Furman and GSU if I were you guys. I would be more worried about the 1 or 2 losses you will possibly have in your own conference. I'm thinking Liberty and Chuck South.

Peems
April 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Agree that Noble is a SUPER RB, but the Poly offense ended up being a 1-D team, and therefore predictable.

With a good trio in the backfield (qb, Noble, and SacSt transfer), decent receiver corps, and a fabulous D, Poly's going to be in EVERY GAME. xthumbsupx

that's why I'm grateful we don't play them this year!

slostang
April 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
that's why I'm grateful we don't play them this year!
The way the Griz are loaded this year, I am also glad that we are not playing in Missoula this year.

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about Furman and GSU if I were you guys. I would be more worried about the 1 or 2 losses you will possibly have in your own conference. I'm thinking Liberty and Chuck South.
I agree... Coastal will not be the same this coming year and their homers can just not see it

LarryBoy
April 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
I love comments like this. 3 years in the SoCon and only 1 last place finish. And especially last year, Western Carolina was as bad as we were in 2005 yet no one talks to them this way. So really, our time at the bottom has been short anyway....

Gophoenix, I admit my mistake. Around Furman, Elon has just been an easier target than everyone else (Probably because Western embarrassed us in '05, blunting any smack talk in their direction). You guys are definitely on the upswing. Just post my comment in the locker room or something.

Mr. C
April 3rd, 2007, 04:06 PM

Most of the time, you will see one back lined up with a QB this season as Cal Poly installs the spread and gets away from the previous option-based attack (actually trading one option for a different type of option).

proasu89
April 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Not trying to smack, but until you have players that won't quit on Senior Day when they don't get their traditional pregame recognition the negative perception will prevail. Western was awful, injury riddled, but still awful. But...imho, they didn't quit.

Lionsrking
April 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM
The safe pick in the Southland for friendly wagering purposes (not that I would ever bet) is McNeese. They were a luke warm champion last year and return the bulk of their team...but I'm not sold they'll repeat.

If Rhett Bomar lives up to all the hype, I'm sure Sam Houston will be in contention, though they must shore up a suspect defense regardless.

Texas State has talent but who knows how they'll adapt to the coaching change.

Same thing with SFA. Just going by how they played against us, they were the most impressive SLC team we played last year. But how will the coaching change affect them?

I really like Nicholls as a darkhorse. They stumbled last year but have a lot of good players back and it looks like their QB situation will be improved.

Northwestern State is similar to Nicholls in my book. Had a subpar year but have a lot returning and should be improved at the QB position.

UCA isn't eligible but they'll be a thorn. Lost a lot of talent but Clint Conque can recruit and they have transfers.

We (SE Louisiana) will be young and talented, and if we get consistent QB play, we'll be a threat. I don't see us making a serious run this year but I believe we're capable of winning at least three conference games.

thirdgendin
April 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM

2006 was actually Elon's 4th year in the SoCon, and it was the only season that Elon hasn't finished in last place. The Phoenix were in last place by themselves in 2003 (9th) and 2005 (8th) while they were in a four-way tie for last place in 2004. Last season, Western Carolina was winless while Elon was in a three-way tie for 5th (or next-to-last) with Georgia Southern and Chattanooga.

Granted, things do appear to be improving at Elon, but the standings haven't painted a pretty picture so far, especially years 1-3.

Walkon79
April 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM
MEAC - Hampton
Patriot - Lehigh

Bus trip to Cheney from the Montana Hi-Line that weekend. We're bringing 100 fans from Glasgow to Great Falls.

Kill'em
April 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
georgia southern is not a playoff contender this year...

I think ASU will get the auto bid and it will come down to either furman or wofford for the other spot and i would say its a toss up at this point
Bold Prediction: Georgia Southern WILL make the playoffs this year. I can't say how good I think our record will be because I want to see the Spring Game first. Georgia Southern is as talented as any team in the conference but now with a proven winner as a Head Coach I see big things getting ready to happen. App St is currently my pick to win the conference but it will be a much tougher conference to win than past seasons. Furman and Wofford will challenge and Elon, The Citadel, and Chattanooga are much improved and I expect them to get better. Western Carolina is an enigma and Samford, well...

slostang
April 4th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Most of the time, you will see one back lined up with a QB this season as Cal Poly installs the spread and gets away from the previous option-based attack (actually trading one option for a different type of option).
The Mustangs will have a fullback (Jon Hall) and two slot backs (James Noble and Ryan Mole) in the backfield and will run some triple option. It is not a traditional triple option offense though. They will run a lot of counters, sweeps, reverses, draws and throw the ball more with play action then most triple option offenses. They will also be throwing the ball to Noble and Mole coming out of the backfield. That is something they have not done much of in the past.

CopperCat
April 4th, 2007, 04:52 PM
The Mustangs will have a fullback (Jon Hall) and two slot backs (James Noble and Ryan Mole) in the backfield and will run some triple option. It is not a traditional triple option offense though. They will run a lot of counters, sweeps, reverses, draws and throw the ball more with play action then most triple option offenses. They will also be throwing the ball to Noble and Mole coming out of the backfield. That is something they have not done much of in the past.

This equals more nightmares for teams everywhere. CP (especially Noble) is a force to be reckoned with.

TheBisonator
April 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Just to let people know, NDSU is not elligible for the playoffs this upcoming season. We become eligible in 2008 (season after next), which is our first year in the Gateway.

Kill'em
April 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Just to let people know, NDSU is not elligible for the playoffs this upcoming season. We become eligible in 2008 (season after next), which is our first year in the Gateway.
Whomever wins the Gateway this year better enjoy it, and not get used to it.

crunifan
April 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Whomever wins the Gateway this year better enjoy it, and not get used to it.

UNI has 12 of the 21 Gateway titles. Pretty sure it's okay to say we are used to winning it. xnodx

appfan2008
April 4th, 2007, 08:47 PM
UNI has 12 of the 21 Gateway titles. Pretty sure it's okay to say we are used to winning it. xnodx
if i were gateway participants i wouldnt worry about the Xdsu's coming in and winning the title every year... they will probably be competing for it but they wont win every time

stuperman17
April 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM
The Gateway will be the hardest conference to predict by far. Almost anyone can win it. Then add two good teams in the DSU's, and it makes it even more difficult.

YSU has back to back titles right now (first year 3 way tie), but when those two schools join winning back to back conference titles will be very few and far between.

Kill'em
April 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I really feel NDSU is going to be really tough to beat. I'm happy about UNI's success in the Gateway but that was before NDSU was invited into the conference.

PaladinFan
April 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Furman's loss to ASU wasn't a fluke. It probably should have been closer, but ASU was the better team. Furman's loss to MSU wasn't fluke either, we were soundly whipped.

I was referring to playing upstart CCU at night, on the road, and losing by a blocked extra point. That won't happen in Greenville.

I don't think any FU fans think ASU beating us is a fluke. The games are typically so close I don't really think much of it either way. The old saying goes that it is better to be lucky than good. ASU is both. Eventually that luck against the Paladins will have to swing the other way. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

CharlestonAppFan
April 5th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Furman's loss to ASU wasn't a fluke. It probably should have been closer, but ASU was the better team. Furman's loss to MSU wasn't fluke either, we were soundly whipped.

I was referring to playing upstart CCU at night, on the road, and losing by a blocked extra point. That won't happen in Greenville.

I don't think any FU fans think ASU beating us is a fluke. The games are typically so close I don't really think much of it either way. The old saying goes that it is better to be lucky than good. ASU is both. Eventually that luck against the Paladins will have to swing the other way. I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

You're right Pally about it swinging the other way at some point. My question to your team is how is your defense coming along? Is it your biggest strength?

As you know, our offense will be hard to stop, but my concern (and every other App fan) is how our defense will hold up. It worked for Indy this year, but they've had a tough time the past few years.

youwouldno
April 5th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find Furman fans, after the past couple seasons, that are super confident about the defense. I'm not. But in theory it should be better, probably the best since 2004 (which isn't saying too much).

PaladinFan
April 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
You're right Pally about it swinging the other way at some point. My question to your team is how is your defense coming along? Is it your biggest strength?

As you know, our offense will be hard to stop, but my concern (and every other App fan) is how our defense will hold up. It worked for Indy this year, but they've had a tough time the past few years.

Defense should be pretty stout. Ravenell and Bray will be tough to replace, but there is some experience that can fill in. Return 3/4 of the backfield and every one of the linebackers (including the guy I feel is the best in the conference at the position, Andrew Jones).

All that said, though, the success of the team relies on our ability to pound the football with the running game. If Felton isn't 100% that can be a little touch and go.

RabidRabbit
April 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I really feel NDSU is going to be really tough to beat. I'm happy about UNI's success in the Gateway but that was before NDSU was invited into the conference.

NDSU is VERY GOOD. xbowx xbowx xbowx

But as a team with a 90+ year record with them, we've won just under 40%. Not great, but it also means that they will have "down" years too. xwhistlex xwhistlex

NDSU will spend a considerable amount of time in the Gateway in the top half, and like UNI, when 20+ years have rolled by, NDSU is likely to have 12 play-off or tied for 1st or 2nd to their credit. xeekx xeekx But every year? Like in the NCC of old, they'll have to prove it each year. Some years, they'll dominate. Others, they'll be lucky to be 6-5. But like WIU, they'll be in EVERY Game. xnodx xnodx

BTW, Jacks will be there too. But our history usually leaves us with the "dark horse" label. xlolx xlolx

rokamortis
April 5th, 2007, 06:37 PM

What does playing at night have to do with anything?

If you were the better team, as you say, then you should have beaten us. Simple as that.

youwouldno
April 5th, 2007, 06:56 PM
What does playing at night have to do with anything?

If you were the better team, as you say, then you should have beaten us. Simple as that.

Not really. Home field advantage is significant. And any sports fan should know the better team doesn't always win. Missed extra points, things like that. CCU obviously was a very good team so between playing on the road and the unforced errors, it's no surprise Furman lost. Evidence that CCU was better? Not even close.

If CCU won in Greenville, now that would be something.

MarkCCU
April 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Big South- CCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rokamortis
April 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Not really. Home field advantage is significant. And any sports fan should know the better team doesn't always win. Missed extra points, things like that. CCU obviously was a very good team so between playing on the road and the unforced errors, it's no surprise Furman lost. Evidence that CCU was better? Not even close.

If CCU won in Greenville, now that would be something.

I'm not arguing small degrees of difference in quality. He is implying that Furman was clearly better and Coastal had to have certain advantages to win. My point is if Furman was clearly superior then they would have won.

Sir William
April 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm not arguing small degrees of difference in quality. He is implying that Furman was clearly better and Coastal had to have certain advantages to win. My point is if Furman was clearly superior then they would have won.

I can hardly wait until October 6. By 5pm that day, we won't have to listen to anymore of this dribble.

PaladinFan
April 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Furman wasn't clearly superior. Didn't say they were, either. CCU had a special blend of talent on that team. Do I still think Furman was the better football team? All things being equal, yes. Did they play like it that night? No.

Night has a lot to do with things. The campus has all day to get charged up. That date had been circled on the CCU calendar all year (don't tell me it wasn't). That game, emotionally, meant a ton more to the Chants than to the Paladins, and it showed.

2006 is past. I'm saying that in 2007 Furman won't overlook CCU and the game is at Paladin Stadium, where Furman hasn't lost since '04. I think we learned our lesson...

appfan2008
April 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Furman wasn't clearly superior. Didn't say they were, either. CCU had a special blend of talent on that team. Do I still think Furman was the better football team? All things being equal, yes. Did they play like it that night? No.

Night has a lot to do with things. The campus has all day to get charged up. That date had been circled on the CCU calendar all year (don't tell me it wasn't). That game, emotionally, meant a ton more to the Chants than to the Paladins, and it showed.

2006 is past. I'm saying that in 2007 Furman won't overlook CCU and the game is at Paladin Stadium, where Furman hasn't lost since '04. I think we learned our lesson...
having played both teams last year i personally felt that furman was the better team but that is just my xtwocentsx