PDA

View Full Version : Elon @ Delaware 10-13-2018

hoidOfYolen
October 8th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Shamlessly copied from here: https://elonphoenix.com/news/2018/7/25/football-opponent-preview-delaware.aspx

ELON, N.C. – With the 2018 Elon football season approaching, get to know the Phoenix's upcoming opponents with our preview series sponsored by Courtyard by Marriott. The Phoenix will play the second of back-to-back road games at Delaware at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 13.

DELAWARE BLUE HENS
Home stadium: Delaware Stadium
Conference: CAA Football
2017 record: 7-4
2017 conference record/finish: 5-3 (T-4th)
2017 Postseason: None
All-Time series: Delaware leads 2-0
Head coach: Danny Rocco (2nd season)
Letterwinners returning/lost: N/A
Offensive/Defensive starters returning: N/A
Top returning offensive players:
• RB Kani Kane (142 att., 594 yds., 4.2 ypc, 7 TD)
• RB Kareem Williams (101 att., 469 yds., 4.6 ypc, 1 TD)
• WR Jamie Jarmon (29 receptions, 327 yds., 6 TD)
Top returning defensive players:
• LB Troy Reeder (89 tackles, 7.0 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF)
• DB Nasir Adderley (78 tackles, 4.0 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 5 INT, 2 FF)
• DB Ray Jones (60 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 1 INT, 5 PBU)

2018 Schedule
Aug. 30 vs. Rhode Island*
Sept. 8 vs. Lafayette
Sept. 15 vs. Cornell
Sept. 22 at North Dakota State
Oct. 6 at Richmond*
Oct. 13 vs. Elon*
Oct. 20 at New Hampshire*
Oct. 27 vs. Towson*
Nov. 3 at Albany*
Nov. 10 at Stony Brook*
Nov. 17 vs. Villanova*

A Glance at the Blue Hens
A familiar name in CAA Football, head coach Danny Rocco is in his second season guiding the Delaware program following five seasons with the Richmond Spiders.

In Rocco's first year at Delaware, the Blue Hens averaged 21.2 points and 314.8 yards per game. The squad saw four of its players earn All-CAA Football accolades following the 2017 campaign. Two of those four return – second-team tight end Charles Scarff and third-team running back Kani Kane. Scarff caught 12 passes for 71 yards and scored three touchdowns in his junior season, while Kane led the team with 594 rushing yards and seven scores on the ground as a junior. The Blue Hens will have to replace a pair of all-league offensive linemen. Delaware may have a quarterback battle on its hands, as returning starter J.P. Caruso, who threw for 755 yards and eight touchdowns, will be challenged by Darius Wade, a graduate transfer who threw for over 1,000 yards and five scores in 26 career games at Boston College.

On defense, Delaware allowed just 16.8 points and 305.5 yards per contest. The unit produced four all-league honorees, including three first-team selections. Of the four, two return – first-team linebacker Troy Reeder, who tallied a team-best 89 tackles, and first-team safety Nasir Adderley, who intercepted a team-high five passes. Delaware also boasts the 2017 CAA Football Defensive Rookie of the Year in linebacker Colby Reeder, who mad 49 total stops, including 8.2 for a loss last season. As a unit, the Blue Hens ranked 10th nationally in scoring defense and turnover margin. UD's 16 interceptions rated 14th in the country.

Delaware alternated wins and losses over their first four games of 2017, earning wins over Delaware State and Cornell, but falling at Virginia Tech and top-ranked James Madison. The Blue Hens then reeled off three consecutive wins, including an overtime thriller over #11 Richmond, before dropping an 18-17 contest at Towson. UD would win two of its final three, picking up wins at Maine and over Albany before dropping the finale at Villanova.

Matchup
Just twice have Elon and Delaware met on the football field. Both contests have been since the Phoenix joined CAA Football for the 2014 season. In that inaugural campaign, the maroon and gold dropped a 34-24 decision at Delaware. The next year, UD defeated the Phoenix 14-10 at Rhodes Stadium.

ngineer
October 8th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Very interesting game to see if the big win for Elon results in anykind of letdown after being so high. Always a challenge for coaches. UD at the Tub is never easy.

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I watched most of the first half of the Elon at JMU game and when JMU was forced into kicking 3 FG's, you could just feel something was different and as the game went on you could see that Elon belonged

Delaware is a flawed football team with a few pockets of brillance really.....

RB Summers is a joy to watch, hope we are not chasing him to much on Saturday

EU2000
October 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM
RB Summers is a joy to watch, hope we are not chasing him to much on Saturday

Couldn’t imagine what it was like for Summers to have a season ending injury while leading the nation in rushing. He changed his number this year to 5 as that was his goal to average per carry. He definitely is fun to watch, and you’ll see him credit his success to the O-line.

Last week’s win was surreal, but time to move to the next.

This COULD be the let down game. Having to travel directly after a huge win can be a tough thing. Cignetti generally has them ready.

I’m not well schooled on your team this year....but....Here’s to a good game! Looking forward to this weekend!

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2018, 05:22 PM
letdown by Elon would be graciously accepted

Well Delaware fans used to visit this board on a regular basis but most of them have flown the coop, We still have a few that contribute on a regular basis

Why would I bring that up..... Well most Delaware football fans are pretty disgusited with what has happened in Newark over the past 8 years

Last time we made the playoffs was the finals in 2010

We fired a very succesful Head Coach in KC Keeler in 2012 and hired Dave Brock who turned out to be a disaster

Rocco is now in his second season

coming into this year, most everyone assumed that Boston College transfer QB Wade was going to be the QB and apparently he did to

He was beat out by Pat Kehoe, a JR who had not played a meaningful down in his first 2 years at Delaware

He is a Lefty, throws a nice ball but still getting acclimated to game speed and timing with his receivers,

speaking of WR, our leading receiver was the starting QB for two plus years and was moved to WR last year mid season, all Hen fans will tell you it should of been done years earlier

Our Defense has been the strength of the team for a few years now, we have 2 NFL caliber players with LB Troy Reeder and Safety Nasir Adderley

we lost Nose Tackle Bilah Nichols now playing for the Chicago Bears, to graduation and have missed him anchoring down the 3 4 Defense

despite all the negative nelly stuff, there should still be 18000 strong At Delaware Stadium on Saturday, they can actually be pretty loud at times

Student section has been a big big problem, they occupy the South EZ Seats and it is embarrasing to see only a few hundred in those seats capacity 5000 I believe

So Elon should be about a 8 point favorite would be my guess

EU2000
October 8th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Appreciate the info on the team.

I’ve always respected Delaware athletics. A friend of mine by the name of Kęstutis Marčiulionis started for your basketball team years back.

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2018, 08:21 PM

I’ve always respected Delaware athletics. A friend of mine by the name of Kęstutis Marčiulionis started for your basketball team years back.

Šarūnas Marčiulionis
any relation to this guy? He was NBA and played for the Gold Medal 1988 team, the loss that gave birth to the Dream team

I know next to nothing about UD basketball though

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Initial line is Elon -6.5 (o/u 42)

dewey
October 8th, 2018, 09:53 PM
The Bison 1660 The Insiders radio show had the Elon play by play guy on the radio for some good Elong talk. Sounds like Elon has 3 monsters up front with a stud MLB behind them.

The Bison radio guys were very impressed with the Phoenix.

The line of scrimmage is where games are won and if their D line is that good they could be looking at a deep run into the playoffs.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2018, 10:10 PM
The Bison 1660 The Insiders radio show had the Elon play by play guy on the radio for some good Elong talk. Sounds like Elon has 3 monsters up front with a stud MLB behind them.

The Bison radio guys were very impressed with the Phoenix.

The line of scrimmage is where games are won and if their D line is that good they could be looking at a deep run into the playoffs.

Dewey

the JMU game was not a fluke, Elon is good and did not back down at all from JMU and matched up well physically which is saying something, also the pesky Moreland did not have an INT return for a TD finally

I think JMU is missing Brian Schor right now

dewey
October 8th, 2018, 10:27 PM
the JMU game was not a fluke, Elon is good and did not back down at all from JMU and matched up well physically which is saying something, also the pesky Moreland did not have an INT return for a TD finally

I think JMU is missing Brian Schor right now

The Bison radio guys made it sound like a lot of things went right for Elon in their win over the Dukes. The Elon play by play guy said the samething.

Also sounded like Elon did a great job of containing the Dukes run game.

I would take Elon to cover the line of -6.5 over the Fighting Blue Hens.

Dewey

Ivytalk
October 9th, 2018, 07:07 AM
I would take Elon to cover the line of -6.5 over the Fighting Blue Hens.

Dewey
I agree. If UD can’t run the ball, they have no shot.

bluehenbillk
October 9th, 2018, 07:39 AM
That line is WAY too low. I'd give the 6.5 & take Elon. UD has yet to play effectively against a quality team.

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2018, 03:37 PM
I agree. If UD can’t run the ball, they have no shot.

Elon will smother the Delaware run game

whoanellie
October 10th, 2018, 08:08 PM
after being a 38 point underdog last week on the road I would not have a lot of faith in the odds makers. The last two seasons of finally being able to be competitive in the CAA now makes every game a war. URI, Maine, VU, UD, UofR Stoneybrook all have playoff potential. It is an honor to be competing in the CAA

jmufan999
October 11th, 2018, 08:07 AM
i never congratulated Elon and i'm too lazy to go looking for the correct thread. great game last week. you guys really executed what you wanted to do. quite impressive.

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2018, 02:23 PM
not a word from the Elon fans on how Cignatti got you on track so fast....... what was the most important thing he did?

Gangtackle11
October 11th, 2018, 02:43 PM
not a word from the Elon fans on how Cignatti got you on track so fast....... what was the most important thing he did?

Hired a Villanova coach to be become their DC. Hired a former Villanova LB to be a position coach. Installed the 3-3-5 defense. That’s pretty much it. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Hired a Villanova coach to be become their DC. Hired a former Villanova LB to be a position coach. Installed the 3-3-5 defense. That’s pretty much it. xpeacex

but I thought all those Nova coaches are ex Bluehens..... meanwhile we have a Coach carrying around a little bag of Rocco's for brains

whoanellie
October 11th, 2018, 03:01 PM
He knows how to win. He has coached great players. His resume' is incredible since 1980. See who he has been mentored by or been apart of his teams as well as who he has hired. Oh and He recruits. In a great no B-S kind of way.

whoanellie
October 11th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Is there a link to the TV / Video stream? I do not see it on NBCsports app.

Gangtackle11
October 11th, 2018, 03:06 PM
but I thought all those Nova coaches are ex Bluehens..... meanwhile we have a Coach carrying around a little bag of Rocco's for brains

Not the ones that get away. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Curt Cignetti - I think there is a perception out there that this guy is a " young gun " so to speak, many Delaware fans wanted him, but he is 57 years old.... not over the hill but no sprung chicken either
Tony Trisciani - one of the Nova guys GT mentioned

staff is loaded with Pa guys I see

Elon is Nova south, Delaware is in big trouble

RootinFerDukes
October 11th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Goodness how much half a season makes. From national title contenders who can give NDSU a fight to we have no shot against Elon in 5 games.

Good lord, drink some of that blue koolaid, FFS.

melloware13
October 11th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Goodness how much half a season makes. From national title contenders who can give NDSU a fight to we have no shot against Elon in 5 games.

I feel like the talk was similar around this point last year when we went up to Long Island, so maybe it works

KPSUL
October 11th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Elon has had very strong performances back to back the past 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain it. My guess is they will fall of that pace at least a little. Delaware has a reasonable chance at home, this is a proverbial "trap" game for Elon.

caribbeanhen
October 11th, 2018, 06:40 PM

i was hoping JMU would give NDSU a fight but not so sure after what I saw last Saturday

whoanellie
October 11th, 2018, 07:46 PM
You need to trust me on this for Elon, We have no trap games. We are still going into Newark vs a team that is playoff worthy. Let the games play out and let the efforts stand on their own merits. I think We look good in white jerseys

Elon has had very strong performances back to back the past 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see if they can sustain it. My guess is they will fall of that pace at least a little. Delaware has a reasonable chance at home, this is a proverbial "trap" game for Elon.

KPSUL
October 11th, 2018, 09:32 PM
- - - Updated - - -

You need to trust me on this for Elon, We have no trap games. We are still going into Newark vs a team that is playoff worthy. Let the games play out and let the efforts stand on their own merits. I think We look good in white jerseys

IT'S A TRAP!!!!
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29253&stc=1

RootinFerDukes
October 12th, 2018, 07:14 AM
i was hoping JMU would give NDSU a fight but not so sure after what I saw last Saturday

I was hoping the same thing from the blue chicks, but alas, no offensive TDs scored.

- - - Updated - - -

When you're the top of the conference, every game is a potential trap game from here on out until you lose. Welcome to the club.

EU2000
October 12th, 2018, 04:04 PM

Motivation, planning, execution.....and hired some good assistants!

With all sincerity, it seems planning has been the biggest factor. Cignetti seems to have a good game plan most weeks. When things aren't going well, adjustments are made at the half that get results.

Many on the current rooster, and starters, played under the previous staff and are obviously good athletes. But, over the previous 2 years, things just looked lost on the field. That really didn't have much to do with the kids.....IMO it simply looked like lack of real planning.

Cignetti has a plan, and has many of these same kids prepared every week. He's 12-5 in his first 17 games at Elon and 8-2 in conference. Swepson inherited the players from the Lembo era and went 10-24 and 5-19 in conference. Skrosky came in (previously an Elon assistant), recruited pretty well but went 7-27 and 4-20 in conference.

Previous 2 coaches went 17-51. Cignetti comes in an immediately took a 2-9 team to 8-4, winning nearly HALF as many games as the previous 2 HC's in 6 years.

He has a vision and plans well. He wants Elon to win championships, plain and simple. He came within 1 game of accomplishing a share of that his first season in the CAA.

Anwyas, Here's to a good game this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to carve some time out to watch some of it!

EU2000
October 12th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Tee hee.....wondered how long it would take for Admiral Ackbar to join the thread :)

- - - Updated - - -

IT'S A TRAP!!!!
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29253&stc=1

caribbeanhen
October 12th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Motivation, planning, execution.....and hired some good assistants!

With all sincerity, it seems planning has been the biggest factor. Cignetti seems to have a good game plan most weeks. When things aren't going well, adjustments are made at the half that get results.

Many on the current rooster, and starters, played under the previous staff and are obviously good athletes. But, over the previous 2 years, things just looked lost on the field. That really didn't have much to do with the kids.....IMO it simply looked like lack of real planning.

Cignetti has a plan, and has many of these same kids prepared every week. He's 12-5 in his first 17 games at Elon and 8-2 in conference. Swepson inherited the players from the Lembo era and went 10-24 and 5-19 in conference. Skrosky came in (previously an Elon assistant), recruited pretty well but went 7-27 and 4-20 in conference.

Previous 2 coaches went 17-51. Cignetti comes in an immediately took a 2-9 team to 8-4, winning nearly HALF as many games as the previous 2 HC's in 6 years.

He has a vision and plans well. He wants Elon to win championships, plain and simple. He came within 1 game of accomplishing a share of that his first season in the CAA.

Anwyas, Here's to a good game this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to carve some time out to watch some of it!

great summary

the only half time adjustment he will have to make this Saturday is a way to hold down the score...... Elon is going to rip the Hens.....

RootinFerDukes
October 12th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Caribbean hen is the biggest sand bagger on these message boards. I’d think you weren’t a blue hen fan.

EU2000
October 12th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Caribbean hen is the biggest sand bagger on these message boards. I’d think you weren’t a blue hen fan.

Well, I’m an Elon fan of many years!!! Elon won’t win this one in a blowout...no way. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Del win it by 2 TDs.

Schism55
October 12th, 2018, 11:56 PM
Maybe he can become a UNI fan xthumbsupx

Daytripper
October 13th, 2018, 08:44 AM

....Uh...mmmm....I put any McNeese sandbagger up against any Hen... and bet the farm on the Cowboy.

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Well, I’m an Elon fan of many years!!! Elon won’t win this one in a blowout...no way. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Del win it by 2 TDs.

Delaware won't even score offensive 2 TD's in this game....... Elon will bake the Hens

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2018, 09:17 AM
.....WE'RE...GONNA BE.....IN UH......ELEVEN PIECE BUCKET.......xbawlingx.....BRAWK!

RootinFerDukes
October 13th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Delaware won't even score offensive 2 TD's in this game....... Elon will bake the Hens

Change your screen name to caribbeanallothercaamascots. Be a homer for just one day. Your team hasn't even started playing.

RootinFerDukes
October 13th, 2018, 10:37 AM
.....WE'RE...GONNA BE.....IN UH......ELEVEN PIECE BUCKET.......xbawlingx.....BRAWK!

I say... i say.. i sayyy.... if youz gonna throw ya... team unduh...da buss.... at least be ...funny....BRAWK!

The Kicker
October 13th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Not looking good for Elon

EU2000
October 13th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Knew this loss was coming, but not in this way. Cheek injured, Summers injured...not a good receipe for anything close to a win.

Losing the 2 biggest offensive weapons will send the season cratering.

hengeek
October 13th, 2018, 05:53 PM
28-16 Delaware wins!
Tough break for Elon. Lost some players.
Delaware needed that win.
Good crowd in Newark today.
I'm sure some will still not give UD any props since Elon lost the top 2 offensive weapons. However, Delaware seemed to run the ball well on Elon and UD's defense definitely kept them in the game.
Good luck with the rest of the season Elon fans. Hope your QB and RB (I think) gets healthy.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2018, 07:22 PM

I was a student at UD the last couple of years he played. He was a beast, very fun to watch. That team also had Madou Diouf, Ndongo N'Diaye, and Mike Pegues, all coached by Mike Brey before he left for Notre Dame. That was back when Delaware basketball was a joy to watch. I hope we can bring that back.

Ivytalk
October 13th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Congrats to Blue Hen Nation! I have befriended Kani Kane’s grandmother. I’m sure she’s thrilled about how well he ran today!

RootinFerDukes
October 14th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I told you Blue Chicks to have some faith in your team and drink the blue koolaid. I didn’t expect Elon to lose it’s top two offensive players in/before the game though. I hope they get healthy. Elon’s back up QB wasn’t much of a drop from Cheek and they should be fine with him getting the start from here on out.

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2018, 09:09 AM
I told you Blue Chicks to have some faith in your team and drink the blue koolaid. I didn’t expect Elon to lose it’s top two offensive players in/before the game though. I hope they get healthy. Elon’s back up QB wasn’t much of a drop from Cheek and they should be fine with him getting the start from here on out.

that's a shame Elon lost the QB and Summers, wow, that stings.... he saw the QB get his knee planted on the turf, it didnt look good, hope he will be ok

the back up QB did not look like a deer in the headlight though, Delaware was getting after him pretty good and finally did some blitzing..

Troy Reeder carried the D yesterday, he played his best game of his career.... and #7 Ray Jones, who was robbed of third team CAA last year, played light out

caribbeanhen
October 14th, 2018, 09:44 AM

hope you were not in any storms way because you wouldnt know a sandbag if it hit you over the head