PDA

View Full Version : 2018-10/13 AGS GOTW Week 7

Preferred Walk-On
October 8th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Idaho State @ UC-Davis - Battle between two unexpected top teams in the Big Sky, who both took care of business in week 6.

Eastern Washington @ Weber State - Looked to be a battle between the two expected top teams in the Big Sky; however, Weber State looks to rebound after a loss to Northern Arizona in week 6.

East Tennessee State @ Citadel - The Citadel has played Wofford, Chattanooga, and Towson and provides a national barometer for the upstart East Tennessee State team, which is receiving recognition from AGS voters, and by the way, is also a Southern Conference co-leader.

Elon @ Delaware - A test to see how Elon responds after a huge win, as well as to provide a crude head-to-head comparison with NDSU through a common opponent.

Maine @ Rhode Island - Both have been surprise early CAA darlings, and both are looking to be considered "contender" not "pretender". This game is especially important for either team to stay in contention for the CAA title, as both are undefeated in conference play.

James Madison @ Villanova - This game is more about the rebound for James Madison than the matchup against Villanova, after they dropped to 0-3 in the CAA.

Florida A&M @ North Carolina A&T - Battle between the two top teams in the MEAC.

Northern Iowa @ South Dakota - South Dakota is 2-0 in conference, and Northern Iowa played with NDSU for three quarters. Northern Iowa is in their "Dakota" (NDSU, USD, SDSU) stretch and can really only lose two games in this stretch to still be considered for the playoff eligible (7 DI wins). Thus, it looks like @ South Dakota is likely a must-win game for Northern Iowa.

hoidOfYolen
October 8th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Where's the actual poll?

Preferred Walk-On
October 8th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Where's the actual poll?

Should be visible. If not, I'll need a little help here.

hoidOfYolen
October 8th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Should be visible. If not, I'll need a little help here.

Ah, I see it now. Must have just had to come out and back in.

hoidOfYolen
October 8th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I'd say this week is a close one between Idaho St-UC Davis and Maine-Rhode Island. Both games have the potential to decide if teams get a seed in the playoffs. I picked Idaho St-UC Davis.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I voted for the Citadel against ETSU because it was the matchup I'm most familiar with.

But also, it's a huge barometer game. It's ETSU's first road test of the year against a team that runs the ball better than any team they've played thus far. The Citadel may be a .500 team this year, losing close ones to stiff competition. If ETSU wins it, they deserve a ranking and Wofford/ETSU may be the game of the week next week if the Terriers take care of business in Greenville.

Meanwhile, The Citadel can make a statement with a win against ETSU, that statement being "We're STILL here." It's unlikely they'll make the playoffs with the CSU game canceled, but they can call it to question if they win out (sans Bama) and finish 6-4.

MSUBobcat
October 8th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Went with ISU-Davis due to both being surprises and potentially having a big impact on how the Big Sky shakes out (hard to imagine the winner possibly being alone at the top of the conference after SEVEN WEEKS if EWU falls to BBQ). Also find out if both are for real, pretenders or one of each.

MSUBobcat
October 8th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Side bar: who voted for other, but didn't say what the game(s) is/are they think is GOTW? I thought that's what the "other" choice represented?

katss07
October 8th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Lots of good ones this weekend. Idaho St/UCDavis, USD/UNI, EWU/Weber, all big games. But I think Maine at Rhode Island takes the GOTW. Kind of an elimination game and definitely a barometer on the national level. We’re starting to see who is real and who isn’t in the CAA.

F'N Hawks
October 8th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Davis and ISU. Both trending way up this year, score a ton of points. Gonna watch that one fosho.

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Easily ISUo and UCD. The big sky could theoretically have two champions and this game will tell everyone if ISUo is for real or if UCD is going to make waves.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

hoidOfYolen
October 8th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Easily ISUo and UCD. The big sky could theoretically have two champions and this game will tell everyone if ISUo is for real or if UCD is going to make waves.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
To be fair, it could be both...

FUBeAR
October 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Side bar: who voted for other, but didn't say what the game(s) is/are they think is GOTW? I thought that's what the "other" choice represented?Willing to expose myself beyond the sanctity of the voting booth, I will claim my “Other” vote. I did not note an opportunity to specify which game in the online voting process. My apologies if I missed that.

Anyway, I am supporting Wofford @ Furman for the GOTW for historical reasons, both ancient and recent; as well as the potential future implications this tilt could have for either or both of these Teams for the SoCon Championship & Playoffs. Furman may appear to be on the outside looking in & Wofford may appear, based on current rankings, to be in a class of their own among SoCon Teams, but close observers of the SoCon realize that neither of those assumptions may be valid. If Furman wins, we’ll know the latter is untrue & the former may not be. If Wofford wins, we can be almost certain that the former is true, but we will still need a few weeks to prove the latter.

grizband
October 8th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Willing to expose myself beyond the sanctity of the voting booth, I will claim my “Other” vote. I did not note an opportunity to specify which game in the online voting process. My apologies if I missed that.

Anyway, I am supporting Wofford @ Furman for the GOTW for historical reasons, both ancient and recent; as well as the potential future implications this tilt could have for either or both of these Teams for the SoCon Championship & Playoffs. Furman may appear to be on the outside looking in & Wofford may appear, based on current rankings, to be in a class of their own among SoCon Teams, but close observers of the SoCon realize that neither of those assumptions may be valid. If Furman wins, we’ll know the latter is untrue & the former may not be. If Wofford wins, we can be almost certain that the former is true, but we will still need a few weeks to prove the latter.
This game is huge for Furman, who likely cannot make the playoffs unless they win the SoCon autobid.

MSUBobcat
October 8th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Willing to expose myself beyond the sanctity of the voting booth, I will claim my “Other” vote. I did not note an opportunity to specify which game in the online voting process. My apologies if I missed that.

Apologies if that came across confrontational. Wasn't my intention. I was just thinking I saw on a poll earlier that the "other" option was included on the off-chance that the pollster missed an important game, it gave us a way to bring those games to light, like you did with Wofford @ Furman. My interpretation was that if enough people voted "other" and named the same game in the comments, that game would be the GOTW. I could be completely full of $#it, instead of only 90%.xdrunkyx

BlueHenFromWA
October 8th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Elon @ UD

Elon is coming off a YUGE win against former #2 James Madison. Do they get caught looking too far ahead?

UD is coming off a Rocco Bowl win and is returning home. Do they have the talent and coaching capabilities to beat a top team?

I'm expecting a good game in Newark this Saturday.

Preferred Walk-On
October 8th, 2018, 04:51 PM

Fair enough, and thanks for putting that option out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR. CHICKEN
October 8th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Side bar: who voted for other, but didn't say what the game(s) is/are they think is GOTW? I thought that's what the "other" choice represented?

........CLICK ON....VIEW POLL RESULTS........IT SHOWS WHO VOTED FOR EACH GAME....&....OTHER...CATEGORY...........AWK!

Preferred Walk-On
October 8th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Apologies if that came across confrontational. Wasn't my intention. I was just thinking I saw on a poll earlier that the "other" option was included on the off-chance that the pollster missed an important game, it gave us a way to bring those games to light, like you did with Wofford @ Furman. My interpretation was that if enough people voted "other" and named the same game in the comments, that game would be the GOTW. I could be completely full of $#it, instead of only 90%.xdrunkyx

This is exactly why that choice is there.

Preferred Walk-On
October 8th, 2018, 05:06 PM
........CLICK ON....VIEW POLL RESULTS........IT SHOWS WHO VOTED FOR EACH GAME....&....OTHER...CATEGORY...........AWK!

Can the pollster not click on "View Poll Results" for some reason? Even though I have selected to have voters shown each week, I myself have never been able to view them. I am probably missing something simple.

Catbooster
October 8th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Can the pollster not click on "View Poll Results" for some reason? Even though I have selected to have voters shown each week, I myself have never been able to view them. I am probably missing something simple.
Click on the number of votes for one of the choices.

quadshock
October 8th, 2018, 06:21 PM
EWU @ Weber should be a good one too. But I'd pick the Davis/ISU game

Preferred Walk-On
October 8th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Ah, much appreciated.

phoenix3
October 9th, 2018, 07:48 AM
JMHO, but Wofford v Furman could be a sleeper. It's only a matter of time until Furman gets their legs back under them again. Could this be the week? Although I voted for Maine v URI.

BEAR
October 9th, 2018, 08:09 AM
In honor of Susan Collins, I chose Maine v. Rhody...xlolx

MSUBobcat
October 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM

Well sumbitch. Learned something new today. Thanks for the info!xthumbsupx

Edit: As I mentioned, my inquiry about the "other" votes was more intended to find out what other games were being considered than to criticize those who voted that way. I was more concerned with the "why" did you vote other than "who" voted other.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 9th, 2018, 06:36 PM
The 2 Big Sky games are the best ones having huge significance sorting out the top teams.

BlueGoldAg
October 11th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I'm biased, of course, but I honestly think that the ISU @ UC Davis game is a great FCS match-up this week with significant importance in the Big Sky and the FCS. Aggie fans are stoked for this game after being essentially irrelevant in the FCS ever since we moved up from D2.

If the Aggies play well and win this one it could have a meaningful impact on the Aggie fan base also as interest faded over the years after successive losing seasons in the FCS. This year's team reminds many of us our D2 "glory years" when we were known for being a QB factory with a potent, wide open offense, nearly always made it into the D2 playoffs and had a great, mutually respectful rivalry with North Dakota State (which, BTW, gets renewed next year in Fargo on October 5th).

On paper, ISU and the Aggies look very similar so this game could be a real barn burner. As offensively minded as both of these teams are, I think it's the defenses that will make the difference and the team that can make a few more critical stops will win this one.

Go Ags!

RootinFerDukes
October 11th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Lots of good games this week. A series of major conference games featuring two each of "can the current leader separate from the pack or will they get upset and throw a wrench in it all?", as well as "are you a contender or pretender?" matchups.