18 Towson 4-1 195 24
19 UC Davis 4-1 193 21
20 Stony Brook 4-2 149 13
21 Princeton 4-0 130 23
22 Maine 3-2 125 25
23 Montana 4-2 104 15
24 East Tennessee State 5-1 72 NR
25 Villanova 3-3 46 19

Others Receiving Votes: South Dakota, 36; Idaho State, 27; Northern Iowa, 21; Delaware, 9; Incarnate Word, 7; North Dakota, 7; Missouri State, 4; Chattanooga, 2; Montana State, 2

UpstateBison
October 8th, 2018, 12:45 PM
What a joke!

Bison56
October 8th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I just cant.

Schism55
October 8th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Holy **** show Batman xeyebrowx

dbackjon
October 8th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Villanova?

FargoBison
October 8th, 2018, 12:57 PM
It is strange that I think a majority of the top 10 teams would beat the #2 team.

GoBlueHens83
October 8th, 2018, 01:03 PM
It is strange that I think a majority of the top 10 teams would beat the #2 team.

No.

I would even go with Top 20.

Reign of Terrier
October 8th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I appreciate Wofford ranked 4th, but this is garbage

FargoBison
October 8th, 2018, 01:09 PM
No.

I would even go with Top 20.

Yeah, I think I would take 13 or 14 of the top 20 over them now that I look at it.

F'N Hawks
October 8th, 2018, 01:15 PM

They run the option so we know one team wouldn't beat them.

Schism55
October 8th, 2018, 01:22 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29199&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29199&stc=1

TheKingpin28
October 8th, 2018, 01:22 PM
This is why AGS should be the official poll for the FCS

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BisonTru
October 8th, 2018, 01:24 PM
AGS Poll
Coach's Poll

Diff

North Dakota State Bison
North Dakota St

-

Eastern Washington Eagles
Kennesaw State

Elon Phoenix
Eastern Washington

South Dakota State Jackrabbits
Wofford

James Madison Dukes
South Dakota St

Kennesaw State Owls
Elon

Wofford Terriers
Jacksonville St

UC Davis Aggies
James Madison

Jacksonville State Gamecocks
McNeese St

Illinois State Redbirds
North Carolina A&T

McNeese State Cowboys
Nicholls St

Towson Tigers
Illinois St

Nicholls State Colonels
Weber St

Rhode Island Rams
Sam Houston St

Weber State Wildcats
Rhode Island

North Carolina A&T Aggies
Central Arkansas

Maine Black Bears
Colgate

Colgate Raiders
Towson

Stony Brook Seawolves
UC Davis

South Dakota Coyotes
Stony Brook

Central Arkansas Bears
Princeton

Princeton Tigers
Maine

Montana Grizzlies
Montana

-

Idaho State Bengals
East Tenn State

Sam Houston State Bearkats
Villanova

ksu_owls
October 8th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I think I would take 13 or 14 of the top 20 over them now that I look at it.

I love the publicity but definitely don't understand how we are #2 in any poll. I've stated this on other threads, the #2 team in the nation doesn't piss away a two score lead against a terrible Georgia State team. I believe we are finding our rhythm and starting to put together some impressive blowouts, but there's a huge difference between being a good team that blows out bad teams and being a good team that beats good teams. I want to be a good team that beats good teams and our stupid schedule doesn't really give us that opportunity. Aside from a decent JSU team, we won't know how we stack up until the playoffs, which is frustrating.

dewey
October 8th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Towson at 18 and UC Davis at 19? I just don't get it.

Dewey

Preferred Walk-On
October 8th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Speechless...

World
October 8th, 2018, 02:44 PM

agree

katss07
October 8th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I’m worried that a room of people actually think JSU is better than JMU.

Gangtackle11
October 8th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Villanova?

CAA’s version of Northern Iowa. xpeacex

McNeese72
October 8th, 2018, 03:30 PM
McNeese doesn't need to be in the Top Ten of any poll.

Doc

Notorious_B_A_G
October 8th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I love the publicity but definitely don't understand how we are #2 in any poll. I've stated this on other threads, the #2 team in the nation doesn't piss away a two score lead against a terrible Georgia State team. I believe we are finding our rhythm and starting to put together some impressive blowouts, but there's a huge difference between being a good team that blows out bad teams and being a good team that beats good teams. I want to be a good team that beats good teams and our stupid schedule doesn't really give us that opportunity. Aside from a decent JSU team, we won't know how we stack up until the playoffs, which is frustrating.

I think the Samford win was pretty good. We're the only team to have no problems with them what so ever. The number 2 ranking is a bit generous though. At the same time we're clearly better than we were last year and we were a top 10 team a year ago. I don't think there's a team in FCS that has our speed and athletes on offense and I think that's a big factor in how the coaches voted. I'd personally have us around 6-8. Either way the nice thing about FCS football is we get a pretty big playoff bracket that tends to sort it's self out in the end.

SochorField
October 8th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Towson at 18 and UC Davis at 19? I just don't get it.

Dewey

Maybe coaches hate Dan Hawkins????xeyebrowx

dewey
October 8th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I’m worried that a room of people actually think JSU is better than JMU.The committee loves JSU.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
October 8th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Maybe coaches hate Dan Hawkins????xeyebrowx
Well then they should go play intramurals brother!

Bison56
October 8th, 2018, 08:07 PM

Hate to see undeserving teams get high seeds.

Sammy94
October 8th, 2018, 09:09 PM

For sure there is no bias in that one is there? This one is pathetic though.

KPSUL
October 9th, 2018, 07:31 AM
CAA’s version of Northern Iowa. xpeacex

No, you've won too many games so far.

KPSUL
October 9th, 2018, 07:36 AM

They're never in the same room, in fact they probably never talk to one another, online or otherwise.

Bison56
October 9th, 2018, 07:48 AM
JMU would stomp JSU. The most overrated team in the FCS every year and they will prove it again when they get a seed and get embarrassed, but the band will be spectacular.xthumbsupx

Professor
October 9th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Since there is a playoff, i still don't get the weekly rants about the poll.

MacThor
October 9th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Since there is a playoff, i still don't get the weekly rants about the poll.

I usually agree with this sentiment. However, if this poll has any bearing on the committee's seed rankings, you've got a Jacksonville St @ Kennesaw quarterfinal. Plus, a JMU @ NDSU quarterfinal.

(I realize poll voters shouldn't think this way early in the season)

Professor
October 9th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I usually agree with this sentiment. However, if this poll has any bearing on the committee's seed rankings, you've got a Jacksonville St @ Kennesaw quarterfinal. Plus, a JMU @ NDSU quarterfinal.

(I realize poll voters shouldn't think this way early in the season)

Could help with the early round ratings

AmsterBison
October 9th, 2018, 01:25 PM
JMU would stomp JSU. The most overrated team in the FCS every year and they will prove it again when they get a seed and get embarrassed, but the band will be spectacular.xthumbsupx

JSU isn't overrated every year. Just every year since 2015.

KPSUL
October 9th, 2018, 03:45 PM

JMU's band is better too!

ksu_owls
October 9th, 2018, 05:05 PM
JMU's band is better too!

Lol those are major fighting words for JSU'ers

JSUSoutherner
October 9th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Lol those are major fighting words for JSU'ers

I mean I can't change the fact he's wrong.

Corn_3024
October 9th, 2018, 06:33 PM

Most of the schedule was made years in advance. We didn't know where we would be in year four, and in my opinion it was a smart way to build the program. We had no idea what the Big South would look like, but we can't control our conference games. We scheduled 2 preseason FCS top ten teams, and an FBS team this year. The schedule is weak, but losing Liberty and Coastal (with Chuck South falling off) hurt us.

Reign of Terrier
October 9th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Most of the schedule was made years in advance. We didn't know where we would be in year four, and in my opinion it was a smart way to build the program. We had no idea what the Big South would look like, but we can't control our conference games. We scheduled 2 preseason FCS top ten teams, and an FBS team this year. The schedule is weak, but losing Liberty and Coastal (with Chuck South falling off) hurt us.As I said in another thread, one of the problems with the Big South is that there's that one good team that can compete with anyone. The problem is that that team will be different every couple years. Today, it's KSU. 2-3 years ago it was Charleston Southern. Go back a little further and it was Coastal Carolina and Liberty.

Now, high turnover isn't necessarily a bad thing but the problem is that the gap between #1 and #2 is huge. #1 would be top tier in the socon, #2 clearly bottom tier.

Contrast that with the Big South's big brother (and best FCS conference in the south IMO), the socon. we have had turnover, but there's more parity and consistency. The citadel may not be at the level they were 3 years ago, but they wouldn't lose to Savannah State like Charleston Southern did this weekend. Chattanooga was bad last year, but they've bounced back this year, and so on.

This makes it extremely hard to schedule if you're a socon team trying to beef up their OOC and right now Kennesaw has the same problem. Like, when wofford rescheduled Gardner Webb the last couple years, we had been on a two game losing streak and had no idea they would be a dumpster fire. The last time Wofford played Charleston Southern in the regular season they were a dumpster fire, and they found a way to become very respectable and then a dumpster fire again

So I'm sympathetic to Kennesaw, especially since they made this schedule 2-3 years ago (they play us in 2020!) And had no idea they would have the pressure to put together a playoff resume.

Hot take: it probably would be better for the big south if they didn't have an autobid: for the teams that care about football to schedule tough OOC. You only have like 5 conference games anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FCSbuff319
October 10th, 2018, 12:20 AM
Incarnate Word getting more votes that Missouri State, now that's where the real greatness of this poll rests! The same could be said about Towson being below Central Arkansas. For some reason beating Southeastern Louisiana is worth a heck of a lot more than beating Villanova, Stony Brook, or Illinois State! Four Southland teams in the top 16, more than any other conference. Yes the poll only has 26 voters, but are all 11 Southland coaches included in that group of 26?

Professor Chaos
October 10th, 2018, 12:27 AM
Incarnate Word getting more votes that Missouri State, now that's where the real greatness of this poll rests! The same could be said about Towson being below Central Arkansas. For some reason beating Southeastern Louisiana is worth a heck of a lot more than beating Villanova, Stony Brook, or Illinois State! Four Southland teams in the top 16, more than any other conference. Yes the poll only has 26 voters, but are all 11 Southland coaches included in that group of 26?
S*** apples Randers... that's all they are. S*** apples...

JacksFan40
October 10th, 2018, 09:30 AM
I expected us to drop, but Wofford ahead of us? How is JSU ahead of JMU? How is Villanova ranked but Idaho State isnt? How is SHSU still a Top 15 team?
Also people need to stop bashing Kennesaw for the GSU loss, Georgia State isn’t great but they’re a decent Sun Belt team who won a bowl game last year. KSU should’ve beat them probably but I wouldn’t hold it over them. Now if they lost to UTEP that’d be a different story.

dewey
October 10th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I expected us to drop, but Wofford ahead of us? How is JSU ahead of JMU? How is Villanova ranked but Idaho State isnt? How is SHSU still a Top 15 team?
Also people need to stop bashing Kennesaw for the GSU loss, Georgia State isn’t great but they’re a decent Sun Belt team who won a bowl game last year. KSU should’ve beat them probably but I wouldn’t hold it over them. Now if they lost to UTEP that’d be a different story.

I agree.
Jacksonville State should not be ahead of JMU in any poll. I bet it is because JMU has two losses but JSU has only one so clearly JSU is better (sad but I bet it is true). Never mind that Elon is better than North Carolina A&T and JSU didn't play an FBS team.
Idaho State has a pretty good resume (D2 win, loss 45-23 at University of California, W at a ranked UND 25-21, W at a good NAU team 56-42 and win against Idaho 62-28). ISU's big test is this weekend against UC Davis in Davis CA.
Sam Houston State is a top 15 team because of the name. I could see them as top 25 but top 15 seems too high.
Villanova has a good win vs FBS Temple, 10 point loss to a top 10 Towson, 2 point loss @ ranked Stony Brook and 3 point loss @ ranked Maine. It also sounds like Villanova's QB has been out for a while with an injury so I could see ranking them. The Wildcats play JMU this weekend with a win and they are a lock top 25 team but a loss would put them at 3-4 with 4 of those losses being to good teams.

Dewey

JSUBison
October 10th, 2018, 01:29 PM

1st paragraph I agree, 2nd no effin way. The fake GSU is a bad team, and that loss for KSU is bad. The number 2 FCS team in the country doesn't lose that game if we are being honest here. Would JMU, SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Montana, EWU, etc lose that game. No way. Check out JMU's game against NC State and compare it to Georgia State's game against NC State. Now one game doesn't make a season, but Kennesaw State's schedule is a joke. They have two games to prove themselves, the first and the last, and they haven't proven anything so far to warrant a #2 ranking. Dewey posted Idaho State's resume, and on paper it's better. I'm not saying Idaho State would beat KSU, but just look at the hot air being blown up KSU's ass in this poll.

dewey
October 10th, 2018, 02:45 PM
1st paragraph I agree, 2nd no effin way. The fake GSU is a bad team, and that loss for KSU is bad. The number 2 FCS team in the country doesn't lose that game if we are being honest here. Would JMU, SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Montana, EWU, etc lose that game. No way. Check out JMU's game against NC State and compare it to Georgia State's game against NC State. Now one game doesn't make a season, but Kennesaw State's schedule is a joke. They have two games to prove themselves, the first and the last, and they haven't proven anything so far to warrant a #2 ranking. Dewey posted Idaho State's resume, and on paper it's better. I'm not saying Idaho State would beat KSU, but just look at the hot air being blown up KSU's ass in this poll.

I agree with what you said but I know part of the reason KSU is rated so high is that they were a quarterfinal team last year that returned basically everybody from that team. Carribeanhen stated it well when he said everyone is in love with the new girl and couple that with the lack of apprent research into SOS by the Coaches poll it is not surprising that KSU is highly ranked.

That is why I believe, as do most on here I suspect, that the AGS top 25 is certainly better than the Coaches and STATS poll.

KSU is a very good team we all know that but I do not believe they would beat NDSU, JMU, Elon, SDSU, EWU, Towson or UC Davis. However I have been wrong before and I am certain it will happen again and maybe I am wrong on KSU.

Thank the lord we have a legitimate playoff system.

Dewey

ksu_owls
October 10th, 2018, 02:50 PM

I agree KSU isn't the #2 team, but we played a GSU team that had everything to lose and nothing to gain in playing their lower level neighbor that is 20 miles down the road. We pissed away a two score lead, which was terrible, but I'm confident that we are the better team and if they would play us again I know we would prove it. JMU lost to Elon who had a close scare against Chuck South.... the "this team played this game" logic doesn't work well because we both know that Elon and JMU are miles ahead of Chuck S who was manhandled by Savannah State. I know Samford isn't a great team this year, but KSU still put together an impressive performance holding them to 3 points for the first 58 minutes of the game. Our ranking is where it is because of our impressive playoff run last year and the fact that most of our offense has returned and our defense is playing pretty well this year (albeit against less impressive opponents). Are we even Top 5? I don't know... but as long as we handle business against JSU I think we have no reason not to be seeded going into the playoffs.

JacksFan40
October 10th, 2018, 03:16 PM
I don’t think KSU should be #2 by any means, I think that belongs to EWU or Elon, but I think they’re still one of the premier teams easily with NDSU, SDSU, JMU etc.
Idaho State in my opinion is criminally underrated, I have them beating Davis and I think they’ll roll to a conference title since they don’t play EWU. They can get an FBS win against Liberty as well if that counts for anything.

jsualumnus
October 10th, 2018, 08:55 PM
If anyone has had an easier schedule than JSU, it's KSU... What a joke! Can't really say **** about them until we beat them. We have blown everyone out, lost to NCAT by 3 due to a crap ton of penalties and lack of discipline. If JSU goes 10-1, by beating KSU, I still don't think we get a bye unless a few others lose badly. We don't deserve a bye. Hell man, most JSU fans would rather have the 1st round at home and not have another week without a game. I'm with JSUBison in that if KSU was so good, they should have beaten the dumpster-fire GSU. No way a #2 team loses that game. KSU QB is good....really good. JSU is a different team than last 2 years, but the NCAT game was brutal.

JacksFan40
October 10th, 2018, 09:03 PM
If anyone has had an easier schedule than JSU, it's KSU... What a joke! Can't really say **** about them until we beat them. We have blown everyone out, lost to NCAT by 3 due to a crap ton of penalties and lack of discipline. If JSU goes 10-1, by beating KSU, I still don't think we get a bye unless a few others lose badly. We don't deserve a bye. Hell man, most JSU fans would rather have the 1st round at home and not have another week without a game. I'm with JSUBison in that if KSU was so good, they should have beaten the dumpster-fire GSU. No way a #2 team loses that game. KSU QB is good....really good. JSU is a different team than last 2 years, but the NCAT game was brutal.
That game will really prove how good either team is, if KSU is as good as advertised or not. Also if A&T really was a fluke for JSU. Should be a great game.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2018, 10:14 PM
I have been critical of KSU, but I will defend losing to Georgia State.

Everyone thinks performances against FBS competition is predictive of how good they are during the regular season, but with the exception of the juggernauts (NDSU, JMU), it's really not.

The JMU team that beat Virginia Tech (2009?) didn't even make the playoffs. To my eternal dismay, Wofford has laid eggs against G5 schools and made some noise in the playoffs (Ohio, Air Force), while playing Clemson and USC really tough in other years and NOT making the playoffs.

Heck, I believe it was 2007 or 2008 when the Citadel led Wisconsin at one point, and played a competitive game that ended 45-31. The Citadel didn't finish in the top 3 (or 4?) in the socon that year.

Football is not a game of the transitive property. Sometimes FCS outmatch low tier FBS teams. Sometimes they get lucky against P5 teams. Sometimes they play G5 really tough but get unlucky and lose.

In my limited experience observing southern FCS teams, the unlucky outcome is more common than you'd think.

JacksFan40
October 10th, 2018, 10:27 PM
I have been critical of KSU, but I will defend losing to Georgia State.

Everyone thinks performances against FBS competition is predictive of how good they are during the regular season, but with the exception of the juggernauts (NDSU, JMU), it's really not.

The JMU team that beat Virginia Tech (2009?) didn't even make the playoffs. To my eternal dismay, Wofford has laid eggs against G5 schools and made some noise in the playoffs (Ohio, Air Force), while playing Clemson and USC really tough in other years and NOT making the playoffs.

Heck, I believe it was 2007 or 2008 when the Citadel led Wisconsin at one point, and played a competitive game that ended 45-31. The Citadel didn't finish in the top 3 (or 4?) in the socon that year.

Football is not a game of the transitive property. Sometimes FCS outmatch low tier FBS teams. Sometimes they get lucky against P5 teams. Sometimes they play G5 really tough but get unlucky and lose.

In my limited experience observing southern FCS teams, the unlucky outcome is more common than you'd think.

FBS games are horrible to use for or against a team. I’ll use SDSU for example, in 2010 SDSU lost 17-3 to #6 Nebraska, SDSU finished at a bad record of 5-6. In 2014 SDSU lost to Missouri 38-18 in a game that would’ve been closer had Sumner not gone down, I’d say 38-24. Missouri finished 11-3, won the SEC East and beat a good Minnesota team in the Citrus Bowl 33-17. They finished ranked 14th. SDSU lost 45-7 to Illinois State. Finished 9-5.
Even this year USD lost 27-24 to K-State in a game that got USD ranked in the polls at 23. USD got hammered by Weber and K-State might have one of the worst teams under Bill Snyder.
Don’t use FBS games to determine how good an FCS team is, unless they beat a highly ranked FBS, App State, NDSU etc.
If KSU has been blown out by GSU this would be a different story, but GSU is an ok Sun Belt team who might make another bowl game.

Reign of Terrier
October 10th, 2018, 10:30 PM
FBS games are horrible to use for or against a team. I’ll use SDSU for example, in 2010 SDSU lost 17-3 to #6 Nebraska, SDSU finished at a bad record of 5-6. In 2014 SDSU lost to Missouri 38-18 in a game that would’ve been closer had Sumner not gone down, I’d say 38-24. Missouri finished 11-3, won the SEC East and beat a good Minnesota team in the Citrus Bowl 33-17. They finished ranked 14th. SDSU lost 45-7 to Illinois State. Finished 9-5.
Even this year USD lost 27-24 to K-State in a game that got USD ranked in the polls at 23. USD got hammered by Weber and K-State might have one of the worst teams under Bill Snyder.
Don’t use FBS games to determine how good an FCS team is, unless they beat a highly ranked FBS, App State, NDSU etc.
If KSU has been blown out by GSU this would be a different story, but GSU is an ok Sun Belt team who might make another bowl game.Yeah, I hate moral victories (Wofford had one this year), but if we're going to talk about FBS games as a data point for predictive results, they never show that you're bad so much as they show you *may* be good.

Birdman_
October 11th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I agree KSU isn't the #2 team, but we played a GSU team that had everything to lose and nothing to gain in playing their lower level neighbor that is 20 miles down the road. We pissed away a two score lead, which was terrible, but I'm confident that we are the better team and if they would play us again I know we would prove it. JMU lost to Elon who had a close scare against Chuck South.... the "this team played this game" logic doesn't work well because we both know that Elon and JMU are miles ahead of Chuck S who was manhandled by Savannah State. I know Samford isn't a great team this year, but KSU still put together an impressive performance holding them to 3 points for the first 58 minutes of the game. Our ranking is where it is because of our impressive playoff run last year and the fact that most of our offense has returned and our defense is playing pretty well this year (albeit against less impressive opponents). Are we even Top 5? I don't know... but as long as we handle business against JSU I think we have no reason not to be seeded going into the playoffs.

Obviously we're both KSU fans, but I think this and many of other comments are quite fair. Who knows if we're worthy of a #2 ranking in a mid-season coaches poll. We had a great run last year and returned almost everyone, but in the grand scheme of things, we don't have a long track record of anything, and we haven't played many meaningful non-conference games in our team's history. With that said, I know I'd be thrilled for KSU to have an opportunity to play the top-tier FCS teams in the playoffs this year, and I'm excited for the rematch against JSU in November. There is no way to know how we stack up against these other teams until we play them, and I'm confident we'd open a lot of people's eyes if we have an opportunity to do so. Regardless of if you think KSU should be #2, #4, #8 or whatever right now, KSU is really good team, and the playoffs will ultimately provide the barometer we all need to truly evaluate them. While I personally think #2 is a bit presumptuous, I don't believe there's any reason for them not to be in the top 8, and frankly it doesn't really matter until the regular season is over.