PDA

View Full Version : The Hal Mumme Air Raid era is over at Jackson State

ASU33
October 3rd, 2018, 01:58 PM
Only took for games before JSU realized what we ALL knew, they didn't have the personnel to run the Air Raid offense. JSU has recruited pro style for years and tried to make the switch and it fail miserably.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/jackson-state/2018/10/03/hal-mumme-resigns-jsu-offensive-coordinator-swac/1510088002/

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2018, 04:45 PM
Poor ole Hal has made the rounds trying to run the air raid. He did have some success at SLU but it has been kinda hit and miss.

Derby City Duke
October 3rd, 2018, 04:50 PM
Mumme was on the list of candidates for JMU when Everett 'party in [our] end zone' Withers bolted for Texas State. To quote the Templar Knight in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade', "you [AD Jeff Bourne] chose wisely" in hiring Mike Houston.

McNeese75
October 3rd, 2018, 04:58 PM
Mumme was on the list of candidates for JMU when Everett 'party in [our] end zone' Withers bolted for Texas State. To quote the Templar Knight in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade', "you [AD Jeff Bourne] chose wisely" in hiring Mike Houston.

Unfortunately for the rest of the FCS xnodx

FormerPokeCenter
October 3rd, 2018, 05:20 PM
Mumme was coaching Belhaven College in Jackson before he got the JState gig....

He recruited like crazy. At that level, though, there's no scholly money to be had, except academic schollies....but those schools set up loans for the kids to come. The coach recruits them, and then the financial aid office gets them to sign for the loans...it's almost ****ing criminal in my opinion....I dated a chick who's son signed with Mumme, despite my best advice not to. Mumme was gone within 6 months of the kid getting there...

And the family's gonna have some pretty exhorbitant tuition bills to pay if the kid stays the full four years...I was like, if you're gonna spend THAT kinda money, ****, pay for him to walk-on at Northwestern or SFA (both within an hour and a half of where they live) where the tuition would be cheaper and he could, conceivably, earn a schollie...

But...Mommas don't always make rational decisions when it comes to Baby Boy's desire to play "college football." The kid was the Defensive MVP of the Texas AA State Championship game a few years ago, as a DT. Total sleeper was injured as a soph and junior and only really played as a Senior..undersized for a DL...6'2, 225, but moved well...I couldn't get Momma to understand that walking on at Northwestern or SFA was better than being "signed" by Belhaven because he's never, ever, have a schollie there. And, at least at NW or SFA, he'd have access to proper facilities, could potentially put on weight AND potentially earn a scholarship or partial to offset what she was gonna spend for four years..

Anyway, I digress....Mumme needs to retire and ride off into the sunset...

ASU33
October 3rd, 2018, 05:21 PM

You guys dodged a MAJOR bullet and got a great head coach!

Derby City Duke
October 3rd, 2018, 08:42 PM
You guys dodged a MAJOR bullet and got a great head coach!

xnodx xthumbsupx

Derby City Duke
October 3rd, 2018, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately for the rest of the FCS xnodx

I'll be surprised if we keep him beyond another 2 years; less if North Carolina cans Larry Fedora at the end of this year. The Tarheels are 1-3 and they have a moderately difficult remaining schedule. Houston is a North Carolina guy -- hard to imagine him turning down the opportunity to go home. When that happens it will be interesting to see how quickly or if we come back to the mosh pit.