PDA

View Full Version : Elon @ JMU - 10/6/18 Game Thread

Derby City Duke
October 3rd, 2018, 12:29 PM
JMU gets a chance to extend it CAA-record conference winning streak to 21 (+ 2 playoff wins vs. CAA opponents) against the Phoenix.

Last year's match-up (31-3, JMU @ Elon) was the closest of the past four games between the teams since Elon joined the CAA. The Dukes have beaten the Phoenix 59-27 and 63-14 in the previous 2 conference match-ups in Bridgeforth Stadium.

Elon appears to be improved over last year, especially running the ball.

JMU's biggest challenge will be how their re-worked offensive line handles the Elon defensive front. Last week, one OL (starter much of last year) left the team and a 2nd starter was suspended indefinitely.

Dukes are +8 in turnover margin and have scored 4 defensive TDs and 2 special teams TDs.

Dukie95
October 3rd, 2018, 12:55 PM
Willoughby is a beast for Elon on the D-Line. JMU's O line is a little thin right now, so this matchup will be key.

EU2000
October 3rd, 2018, 03:52 PM
There is definitely a welcome resurgence in the program. I think Elon may be able to keep up for a little bit, but I unfortunately don't think it will be close in the end.

Elon is good, but there are still a few pieces that need to be developed to be a legit contender.

Cignetti appears to really want to run first, but Cheek is being really efficient throwing the ball. I'm assuming your DBs are still flying all over the place? :)

JMU's defense looks pretty stout.....the stats look crazy. I think you're 2nd in the nation in total D?

ElonFirefighter
October 3rd, 2018, 04:25 PM
I'm hoping we keep it close as even a loss could benefit us come at-large time if its not a blow out. With the loss of the W&M game we need all the help we can get, unless we pick up a replacement. This will be our first real test of the season. Key will be to take advantage of the OL hole and get pressure on JMUs QB

BDKJMU
October 3rd, 2018, 11:59 PM
JMU gets a chance to extend it CAA-record conference winning streak to 21 (+ 2 playoff wins vs. CAA opponents) against the Phoenix.

Last year's match-up (31-3, JMU @ Elon) was the closest of the past four games between the teams since Elon joined the CAA. The Dukes have beaten the Phoenix 59-27 and 63-14 in the previous 2 conference match-ups in Bridgeforth Stadium.

Elon appears to be improved over last year, especially running the ball.

JMU's biggest challenge will be how their re-worked offensive line handles the Elon defensive front. Last week, one OL (starter much of last year) left the team and a 2nd starter was suspended indefinitely.

Dukes are +8 in turnover margin and have scored 4 defensive TDs and 2 special teams TDs.

Only one OL starter has been lost. Butler started the 1st 4 games last year before a season ending injury, but he was a backup this year. The one starter lost was Jackson, the starting LG. Starting LT slid to LG, and have a new starting LT who graded out well vs UR.

Starting TE Cheatham is out for apparently a month with a foot injury (At the revolving door TE position Carlton & Cullen are back from injury, and have the emergence of Dylan Stapleton).

My concern is at DT versus the powerful Elon running game. JMU had been rotating 3 at DT, and one the starters Atari was out vs UR, and apparently wil also be vs Elon at least. I’m assuming Rondell Carter will play both DE & DT, since he played both last year (and also I believe vs UR) , and JMU is deeper at DE..

Dukie95
October 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM
JMU is very deep and talented in many positions. For example, Marcus Marshall (RB) and Riley Stapleton (WR) are among the best in the conference, but they aren't winning weekly awards and no one talks about them nationally because the Dukes go 4-5 deep at RB and 8-10 deep at WR. Save for Jimmy Moreland, every individual contributor is flying just below the radar. But on any other team, any of those skill players I mentioned would be the focal point of opposing defenses. This team has the luxury of resting key pieces so they stay fresh throughout the season because they are after a larger goal.

I bring this up because JMU's depth is going to be the difference in this game. Elon will be able to keep things interesting for a half, but JMU's depth will take over and JMU will pull away to a comfortable win.

Elon 17
JMU 42

Dukie95
October 4th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Elon's rushing offense is their best defense. They have the fewest pass attempts in the league and lead in time of possession and have the second fewest plays on defense. They have thrived on keeping the opponent off the field. It will be interesting to see how they respond if they are unable to establish their rushing game against the Dukes. If they can't, it could be a long day.

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I love that Elon fans are more talkative than UR fans could be bothered to be. We're currently looking for a new rival. You guys in?

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2018, 12:51 PM
There is definitely a welcome resurgence in the program. I think Elon may be able to keep up for a little bit, but I unfortunately don't think it will be close in the end.

Elon is good, but there are still a few pieces that need to be developed to be a legit contender.

Cignetti appears to really want to run first, but Cheek is being really efficient throwing the ball. I'm assuming your DBs are still flying all over the place? :)

JMU's defense looks pretty stout.....the stats look crazy. I think you're 2nd in the nation in total D?

Second in Total and Scoring D. Colgate needs to GTFO. Good luck this weekend and hopefully Cheek can pass well. We'll be focusing on shutting Summers down and making him a non-factor. Also don't throw it to the receiver covered by Jimmy F'in Moreland. Just don't.

EU2000
October 4th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I love that Elon fans are more talkative than UR fans could be bothered to be. We're currently looking for a new rival. You guys in?

If Elon makes it a game this weekend, let's chat :)

EU2000
October 4th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Second in Total and Scoring D. Colgate needs to GTFO. Good luck this weekend and hopefully Cheek can pass well. We'll be focusing on shutting Summers down and making him a non-factor. Also don't throw it to the receiver covered by Jimmy F'in Moreland. Just don't.

Yeah, JMU's D stats look uncomfortably solid.

If that Norfolk State game was played in its entirety, your team would probably be averaging 50 points a game.

Here's to a hard fought game and good luck to the Dukes.

phoenix3
October 4th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Exactly.

hoidOfYolen
October 4th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Seconded

whoanellie
October 4th, 2018, 07:50 PM
From an Elon perspective just trying to become a perennial contender or an adversary that opponents take seriously
is going to take some time but the last two seasons have really shown that We are in that process. JMU just may be that awesome invincible squad
aka Appalachian St ( 2007-09 ) but We will surely show up and play a good game I can almost guarantee that.

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Halftime

JMU - 9
Elon - 7

Elon had a fantastic onside kick after their score. The kicker did a little pop up and caught it himself right at 10 yards. JMU guys on the front line had this response - Derp

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Elon 10
JMU 9

UPSET ALERT!!!!

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 02:48 PM
JMU 12
Elon 10

Elon just tried a field goal and Doinked it off the right upright.

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 02:54 PM
JMU punt returner fumbles

recovered by JMU

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Elon 13
JMU 12

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Elon with a long run for TD

Elon 20
JMU 12

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
October 6th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Elon is beating us at the point of attack on both Offense and Defense. We are giving up huge plays left and right. We've had some VERY questionable calls go against that have definitely impacted this game but make no mistake Elon is playing way better than we are.

Bisonator
October 6th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Wow I didn't see this one coming either.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
October 6th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Elon 20 JMU 18

We missed the 2 point conversion.

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 03:25 PM
JMU touchdown. They go for two and get stuffed

Elon 20
JMU 18

Doooks
October 6th, 2018, 03:33 PM
JMU takes the lead with short pass for a TD.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
October 6th, 2018, 03:34 PM
JMU 24
Elon 20

IBleedYellow
October 6th, 2018, 03:51 PM
27-24 Elon! Sub one minute left!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

katss07
October 6th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Phoenix! Come on guys!!!!

Bisonator
October 6th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Down go the Dukes. Congrats to Elon!

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
October 6th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Game. Set. Match

Elon takes us down. Outplayed, outcoached.

Bison56
October 6th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Nice win Elon.

NDSUtk
October 6th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Great job Elon! Didn't see this one coming...especially at JMU

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

ElonFirefighter
Great close game. Both teams should be playoff contenders

TheKingpin28
This was an excellent GOTW. Hats off to Elon. A top 2 seed awaits you, should you win out.

kdinva

what I saw on the TV, I M O, was as much as execution and heart as much as coaching and game plans......Elon is definitely top 8

EU2000
October 6th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Completely unreal.

Hats off to the Dukes. Class act team and fans.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 6th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Congrats Elon!

Those PSAC guys are doing an awesome job down there!

cx500d
October 6th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Wow, nice game Elon!

knit35
October 6th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Congrats to Elon to capitalize on penalties and mistakes by JMU and win. Worst showing I’ve seen from a Mike Houston coached team. JMU will be around in the end but questions to answer and some soul searching needs to happen.

Twentysix
October 6th, 2018, 04:06 PM
This was an excellent GOTW. Hats off to Elon. A top 2 seed awaits you, should you win out.Sdsu might have something to say about that come selection Sunday.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

centennial
October 6th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I thought this JMU team was easily the best in the CAA. What happened?

Twentysix
October 6th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I thought this JMU team was easily the best in the CAA. What happened?Ags of course

Losing a game doesn't take you out of the hunt in the fcs

ElonFirefighter
October 6th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Sdsu might have something to say about that come selection Sunday.

Right now Elon SOS is 6 and SDSU 16 with both close wins over 1/2 id give Elon the not but thats also the Homer in me

dewey
October 6th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Congratulations Elon! Big win.

Dewey

Schism55
October 6th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Huge win Phoenix!!
Paint the town red Elon faithful, you've earned it xdrunkyx

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Sdsu might have something to say about that come selection Sunday.

Elon would be 9-0 against FCS competition WITH the CAA title. I doubt the committee would want a #2 seed to go to a team that might not have The Valley title. I'd love to have SDSU at #2, but if Elon walks home with it, they would move ahead of it.

Right now, at this exact time of day, I see it like this FOR SEEDS, not poll:

1: NDSU
2: Elon
3: SDSU
4: KSU/EWU/JMU
5: KSU/EWU/JMU
6: KSU/EWU/JMU
7: WSU/Wofford/JSU
8: WSU/Wofford/JSU

dewey
October 6th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Right now Elon SOS is 6 and SDSU 16 with both close wins over 1/2 id give Elon the not but thats also the Homer in me

I would agreed that Elon would have a better resume should both teams win out.

Dewey

Bisonator
October 6th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Me too. Elon won SDSU didn't.

Bison56
October 6th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Right now Elon would be 2, but a lot of season left for everyone.

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Yeah, assuming you don't think JMU is outside the top 10 after this it's pretty tough to rank Elon below anyone except NDSU.

KPSUL
October 6th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Right now Elon would be 2, but a lot of season left for everyone.

Exactly. With many teams with only 2 conference games played it's too early to be making playoff seed projections. As far as this week's rankings, a strong argument could be made for Elon at #2.

KPSUL
October 6th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Yeah, assuming you don't think JMU is outside the top 10 after this it's pretty tough to rank Elon below anyone except NDSU.

Elon is no fluke, or flash in the pan, they are a well balanced team with virtually no weaknesses and as good a one, two punch at RB as anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought this JMU team was easily the best in the CAA. What happened?

The CAA ain't easy.

AmsterBison
October 6th, 2018, 04:37 PM
NDSU doesn't have many losses since the end of the 2010 season, but 3 of their losses were on the 6th game. At least JMU's loss was to a ranked team.

IBleedYellow
October 6th, 2018, 04:41 PM
@Rev.

YOU FORGOT TO BET ON THIS GAME. WE LOST MONEY :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Elon is no fluke, or flash in the pan, they are a well balanced team with virtually no weaknesses and as good a one, two punch at RB as anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

The CAA ain't easy.
Elon may not even be playing the best football in the CAA right now looking at what Towson is doing today. But at least Elon will get their dues in the polls come Monday. I expect Towson to still be hideously underrated even if they continue to dominate Stony Brook today.

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2018, 04:55 PM
So the question is, with SDSU having the cupcake of The Valley, does SDSU stay at #3 or does Elon hop them?

Lorne_Malvo
October 6th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Elon was a 39.5 point underdog? Damn...

Herder
October 6th, 2018, 05:13 PM
So the question is, with SDSU having the cupcake of The Valley, does SDSU stay at #3 or does Elon hop them?

Why would JMU stay at #2? They shouldn’t. Sdsu should jump JMU.

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Why would JMU stay at #2? They shouldn’t. Sdsu should jump JMU.

Did you read what I posted? Try reading again, it might help you come to a better conclusion. xnodx

KPSUL
October 6th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Elon may not even be playing the best football in the CAA right now looking at what Towson is doing today. But at least Elon will get their dues in the polls come Monday. I expect Towson to still be hideously underrated even if they continue to dominate Stony Brook today.

Good point on Towson.

Herder
October 6th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Did you read what I posted? Try reading again, it might help you come to a better conclusion. xnodx

from #10 to #2? No way that should happen. Elon has a rep to build, 1game doesn’t make a season.

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2018, 05:35 PM
from #10 to #2? No way that should happen. Elon has a rep to build, 1game doesn’t make a season.

You mean from #8 to #2?

Also, one game does not make a season, so could the same be said about SDSU then? What about JMU?

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2018, 05:38 PM
What else can they do? They just won at Bridgeforth snapping JMU's 20 game CAA win streak. That's the best win in the FCS this year so far (FBS games included). If you're talking about factoring in last year and before I'd say we're getting pretty late in the year to have that carry much weight at all. That kind of mentality is the main reason why the Coach's and STATS polls suck as much as they do.

Cocky
October 6th, 2018, 06:03 PM
What does your rep have to do with the quality of your team?

whoanellie
October 6th, 2018, 07:08 PM
It was a great game. Awesome truly first class atmosphere JMU at Home was my first experience there. Our little but vocal crowd really witnessed, "Why" We loved to or played this game. The ability to go out and match up with and against the best. JMU will host a playoff game no doubt.
Game. Set. Match

POD Knows
October 6th, 2018, 07:38 PM
It was a great game. Awesome truly first class atmosphere JMU at Home was my first experience there. Our little but vocal crowd really witnessed, "Why" We loved to or played this game. The ability to go out and match up with and against the best. JMU will host a playoff game no doubt.Great win guys, awesome, seriously, awesome. And I always thought you guys were a ski resort in New Hampshire.

Derby City Duke
October 6th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Real life intruded in an ugly way so I followed this turd intermittently on Twitter. When you kick FGs instead of scoring TDs, this is what happens. Well done to the Phoenix -- this is one case where the 'expert' oddsmakers really weren't paying attention. Would you ever see a 40 point spread in an FBS game between two top-10 teams? Doubtful.

I wondered at the beginning of this thread how JMU would handle a tough opponent in a tight game. We have our answer. Nova runs the same defense and coaches have found something on film that is leading to big play after big play against the D.

Coach Houston and staff have some real fixin' to do.

Posting a thread in the Lounge about how real life makes football insignificant.

Ivytalk
October 6th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Congrats to Elon for a terrific win!

flyrod
October 6th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Congrats to ELON, they came in and Beat Us at home. Well Done. Your RB is a Beast, thats for sure. No excuses here the better team today won, every team that plays must overcome adversity and JMU failed at that today....thats why they play the game and its called AGS.
JMU will have some soul searching this week both players, and Staff. And I am sure they will rebound....
Polls....we let the chips fall where they may still have lots of football left till playoffs...

GoDukes.

Scooter
October 6th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Somehow i think JMU will be just fine.

TheRevSFA
October 6th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Seeing JMU lose to Elon is so good it has to be fattening

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Real life intruded in an ugly way so I followed this turd intermittently on Twitter. When you kick FGs instead of scoring TDs, this is what happens. Well done to the Phoenix -- this is one case where the 'expert' oddsmakers really weren't paying attention. Would you ever see a 40 point spread in an FBS game between two top-10 teams? Doubtful.

I wondered at the beginning of this thread how JMU would handle a tough opponent in a tight game. We have our answer. Nova runs the same defense and coaches have found something on film that is leading to big play after big play against the D.

Posting a thread in the Lounge about how real life makes football insignificant.

Yes, coming in to this game nobody was picking Elon to win on the road against JMU, I watched the first half and as you said, those 3 drives ending in FG's instead of TD's for JMU was an eye opener...... Elon was not intimidated at all and has some real good skill position players, on Defense they were able to eliminate the big plays and the long TD runs JMU is known for,

you could feel something was different early.......

Great Job Elon, see you next week.

jmu007
October 7th, 2018, 07:07 AM
I felt Elon did a great job taking advantage of JMU's young offensive line. The run blitzes especially seemed to confuse the blocking and they could never quite get to that that last guy to spring the long run as others have mentioned. It was very clear this was Elon's plan coming into this game. Take away the run and force the new QB to beat you. It worked. Hats off on a great plan executed well.

Moving forward, I think JMU will improve from this one. Losing sucks, but at least this one has some net positives moving forward if they can learn from their mistakes. JMU left at least 21 points out of the field between stupid mistakes, penalties, phantom penalties, etc.. That leaves me plenty encouraged moving ahead in CAA play after this one.

KPSUL
October 7th, 2018, 07:09 AM

Don't be too disappointed in your team. They lost to an extremely good football team and probably were initially over confident. After attending UNH @ Elon I was pretty sure I was watching a legitimate contender and I posted a couple cautionary message about Elon's potential without really being completely committed to the idea. Elon's performance vs Chuck South and the fact UNH hadn't won a game in 2018 yet tempered my opinion about Elon a bit.

Coach Houston has been a master of over-statement about his opponents and one of the very best motivators in college football. However, he's still dealing with young men who were understandably a bit cocky after destroying a couple of 2nd tier teams from 2nd tier conferences and then trouncing two marque CAA names, albeit both having down years. JMU players probably weren't mentally conditioned to win a tight game vs top competition - although with Coach Houston at the helm I suspect that the loss at home vs. Elon, may be most of the fix'n they'll need.

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Congrats to Elon on the win. You were the better team yesterday.

Let’s see how the dukes respond the rest of the season. This is what we’re REALLY paying Mike Houston for.

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Don't be too disappointed in your team. They lost to an extremely good football team and probably were initially over confident. After attending UNH @ Elon I was pretty sure I was watching a legitimate contender and I posted a couple cautionary message about Elon's potential without really being completely committed to the idea. Elon's performance vs Chuck South and the fact UNH hadn't won a game in 2018 yet tempered my opinion about Elon a bit.

Coach Houston has been a master of over-statement about his opponents and one of the very best motivators in college football. However, he's still dealing with young men who were understandably a bit cocky after destroying a couple of 2nd tier teams from 2nd tier conferences and then trouncing two marque CAA names, albeit both having down years. JMU players probably weren't mentally conditioned to win a tight game vs top competition - although with Coach Houston at the helm I suspect that the loss at home vs. Elon, may be most of the fix'n they'll need.

The players needed to be humbled. Let’s hope they can respond to adversity. It was a very poorly executed game by JMU.

Professor Chaos
October 7th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I saw a quote from JMU's beat writer Greg Madia that said 2 years ago, which was the last time Elon came to Bridgeforth, that JMU was taking a knee with 9 minutes left to go in the game because it had gotten so out of hand. What a difference 2 years have made for that Elon program.

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I saw a quote from JMU's beat writer Greg Madia that said 2 years ago, which was the last time Elon came to Bridgeforth, that JMU was taking a knee with 9 minutes left to go in the game because it had gotten so out of hand. What a difference 2 years have made for that Elon program.

More specifically, what a difference Curt Cignetti has made for Elon.

hoidOfYolen
October 7th, 2018, 03:32 PM
More specifically, what a difference Curt Cignetti has made for Elon.

Not just Curt, but a ton of freshman talent: Kortez Weeks, Davis Cheek, Skylar Davis, a few OL and DL I can't remember (typical, I know, sorry).

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Not just Curt, but a ton of freshman talent: Kortez Weeks, Davis Cheek, Skylar Davis, a few OL and DL I can't remember (typical, I know, sorry).

any good coach knows it's about talent first!

Lorne_Malvo
October 7th, 2018, 03:35 PM
JMU really isnt that good. Dont get carried away on Elon.

UNHWildcat18
October 7th, 2018, 03:52 PM
JMU really isnt that good. Dont get carried away on Elon.

Go troll on an MVFC thread

Lorne_Malvo
October 7th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Go troll on an MVFC thread

Eat a dick. The truth hurts apparently.

Madisonian
October 7th, 2018, 05:42 PM
I can’t wait for January 2019

Lorne_Malvo
October 7th, 2018, 05:56 PM
I can’t wait for January 2019

Getting a new couch to watch the Championship game on?

Madisonian
October 7th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Getting a new couch to watch the Championship game on?

Was thinking your 75th birthday! No?

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2018, 06:21 PM

Yes but who recruited them and brought them in?

RootinFerDukes
October 7th, 2018, 06:22 PM
So how about that rivalry Elon? I'm pretty sure UR is down for the count for the foreseeable future. Three straight blowout losses for the Spatters.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 06:36 PM
So how about that rivalry Elon? I'm pretty sure UR is down for the count for the foreseeable future. Three straight blowout losses for the Spatters.

I miss the Richmond fans, they were such pleasant fellas

jmu007
October 7th, 2018, 06:46 PM
I still see Paward making picks in the CAA pick’em, but that’s about it anymore.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 06:50 PM
I still see Paward making picks in the CAA pick’em, but that’s about it anymore.

Paward is the man! he has always been my favorite Spider

EU2000
October 7th, 2018, 07:00 PM

I said if Elon made it a game, we should talk. :) The only thing....one game does not make a rivalry. Aside from this year, JMU has pretty much won convincingly.

How about this; as long as Cignetti’s here, let’s talk like it’ll be something big. :). Not quite a rivalry, but bigger than a normal conference game. :)

Haha!