PDA

View Full Version : LIU Going D1 in all sports

Danielr11220
October 3rd, 2018, 10:39 AM
I went to LIU (Brooklyn) for Grad School and Just got the following email.

Dear LIU Community,
We are excited to announce the next step in Long Island University’s vision to enhance its reputation regionally and nationally. Beginning in the 2019-20 academic year, LIU will compete in all sports at the NCAA Division I level, with a unified athletics program that will join our campuses into One LIU.
To honor our history and launch us into the future, we are taking this critical step to build on our success and chart an exciting path forward with a unified identity. Our athletics program plays an important role in bringing people together and promoting educational values. As we elevate the LIU brand nationally through academic excellence and world-class research, our athletics program will unite our entire community and compete at the highest levels. We believe allowing our student-athletes to compete at the highest level will increase the university’s visibility and ultimately create a broader platform to tell the “One LIU” story.
Click here to watch today's announcement at the New York Athletic Club (http://one.liu.edu/)
In order to honor LIU’s strong tradition of athletic excellence, the University announced the new program will combine the traditional colors of both campuses into a unified blue and gold. LIU also announced that students and alumni will help choose the new mascot for the unified program in the coming weeks.
In addition to elevating the brand and reputation of our University and the value of a Long Island University diploma, this new program will lead to expanded opportunities for student-athletes. We will now compete in women’s ice hockey, women’s rowing and women’s water polo, and will offer our growing student population an enhanced ability to take courses on either campus.
Our athletics program is just one part of the equation. We strive to continue to build on our identity as a leading national teaching and research institution. LIU’s distinguished faculty offers a world-class education with a focus on experiential learning that prepares students for success.
We are expanding our elite partnerships. We are hosting the prestigious Polk Awards at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., collaborating with celebrated philanthropist T. Denny Sanford to provide early-childhood education to nearly quarter-of-a-million students in our region, and partnering with BSE Global to renovate the historic LIU Paramount Theatre. Additionally, Governor Andrew Cuomo recently supported LIU with $12 million in state transformative funding toward the New York metropolitan area’s first veterinary program, pending accreditation.
Today is indeed an exciting day for LIU and is another step forward in strengthening our position as an elite national teaching and research institution. Now, we will be brought even closer together to support a single, NCAA Division I program that will unite, inspire, and elevate our University to even greater heights.
You can learn even more about the future of LIU Athletics and stay up to date on the latest developments at one.liu.edu (http://one.liu.edu/). If you have any questions, you can contact us at 516-299-1019 or 718-488-1019. We are also available to answer your questions via email [email protected]
Sincerely,
Kimberly R. Cline
President

TheKingpin28
October 3rd, 2018, 10:59 AM
NEC or bust.

Adding Merrimack and LIU will bring them to 9 football members for a 8 game schedule. Not bad at all.

Laker
October 3rd, 2018, 11:00 AM
I'm confused about this. The Blackbirds (great name, great colors- black and silver- that match the nickname) were already D1. So this is more about the merger with D2 LIU-Post? It said that the new colors will be blue and gold? And that they still have to pick a unified nickname? The Pioneers had football, the Blackbirds didn't. Are they going to keep the sport at the FCS level?

I guess I'll have to buy a new cap to keep my collection up to date.

aceinthehole
October 3rd, 2018, 11:09 AM
I'm confused about this. The Blackbirds (great name, great colors- black and silver- that match the nickname) were already D1. So this is more about the merger with D2 LIU-Post? It said that the new colors will be blue and gold? And that they still have to pick a unified nickname? The Pioneers had football, the Blackbirds didn't. Are they going to keep the sport at the FCS level?

I guess I'll have to buy a new cap to keep my collection up to date.

Yes, what this appears to be is a athletics merger of LIU-Brooklyn and LIU-Post. They are 2 separate campuses, but are part of the same university.

LIU-Brooklyn is a D-I member of the NEC.
LIU-Post is a D-II member of the NE-10.

I think this means the NEC now has another football team (9 teams), but not a new basketball team. Interesting development ...

dbackjon
October 3rd, 2018, 11:13 AM
All of LIU's teams will continue competing in their current conferences for the 2018-19 academic year, honoring schedules with opponents. The unification will be effective for competition beginning in Fall 2019. The university will elevate seven current Post programs to Division I, including expanding its membership in the Northeast Conference with men's cross country, men's lacrosse and football, which will make the transition to the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).

This initiative will put students first by providing additional opportunities and the university will honor current scholarships to student-athletes. LIU is committed, first and foremost, to all of its student-athletes graduating on time, with a LIU diploma.

"The Northeast Conference looks forward to the growth and enhancement of the league through the unification of the LIU athletic departments into a more robust Division I program with the addition of LIU's football, men's lacrosse, and men's cross country teams to the conference," noted Northeast Conference Commissioner Noreen Morris. "With the announcement of the LIU unification, we are excited about the future of LIU Athletics and the NEC."

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2018, 11:31 AM
Congratulations to LIU and the NEC!

If only one of the Patriot League members would add football - are you listening, American, Boston University and Loyola?

Danielr11220
October 3rd, 2018, 12:06 PM

If only one of the Patriot League members would add football - are you listening, American, Boston University and Loyola?

Which would you rate the chances for each of those?

dbackjon
October 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM

Zero, Zero and Zero?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 3rd, 2018, 12:20 PM
Man that is prety cool news. Good job LIU.

downbythebeach
October 3rd, 2018, 01:11 PM
This is awesome news. That is actually a pretty legit D-2 program.

RedFlash
October 3rd, 2018, 01:18 PM
The current NEC football schools have to be really excited about this - no more need to schedule 5 OOC games each year and will guarantee 4 home games each year. It will be much easier for scheduling.

aceinthehole
October 3rd, 2018, 01:33 PM
The current NEC football schools have to be really excited about this - no more need to schedule 5 OOC games each year and will guarantee 4 home games each year. It will be much easier for scheduling.

Agreed - 100%

Returning to an 8-game league schedule is the best news for the NEC in a while. This should eliminate the need to schedule D-II teams. For most schools it will likely mean 1 guarantee game on the road (at FBS/CAA/MVFC) and 2 games vs. FCS (Patriot/Ivy/Pioneer/MEAC/Big South) opponents.

NEC Football 2019
1. Bryant
2. Central Connecticut
3. Duquesne
4. Long Island
5. Merrimack
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. Saint Francis
9. Wagner

dbackjon
October 3rd, 2018, 01:52 PM
Did the NEC know this was in the works when they invited Merrimack? Getting to 9 for football is ideal, and since LIU already had basketball in the league, keeps them at 11 for basketball, allowing a 20-game round-robin.

RedFlash
October 3rd, 2018, 01:58 PM
Did the NEC know this was in the works when they invited Merrimack? Getting to 9 for football is ideal, and since LIU already had basketball in the league, keeps them at 11 for basketball, allowing a 20-game round-robin.

I would assume this was an overall plan, although who knows, maybe LIU approached them after Merrimack made their announcement.

aceinthehole
October 3rd, 2018, 02:00 PM

Yes, I assume so. LIU likely had discussions with the league about their plans; LIU Post rumors have been going on for years.

I had a feeling LIU would not maintain 2 separate programs at the D-I level. Their only options were 1. status quo (Brooklyn in DI and Post in D-II) or 2. merging at the DI level.

From a scheduling perspective this is fantastic for both NEC basketball and football!

As much as I like this positive news for the NEC, I still would like to see CCSU move its athletics to America East (if we can keep football in the NEC).

PAllen
October 3rd, 2018, 02:09 PM

Loyola or BU could do it in a heartbeat, but won't.

Danielr11220
October 3rd, 2018, 02:18 PM
Yes, I assume so. LIU likely had discussions with the league about their plans; LIU Post rumors have been going on for years.

I had a feeling LIU would not maintain 2 separate programs at the D-I level. Their only options were 1. status quo (Brooklyn in DI and Post in D-II) or 2. merging at the DI level.

From a scheduling perspective this is fantastic for both NEC basketball and football!

As much as I like this positive news for the NEC, I still would like to see CCSU move its athletics to America East (if we can keep football in the NEC).

I have always been in favor of the NEC trading CCSU for the AE for Hartford creating an all private school conference (NEC) and an all public school conference (AE)

As for LIU, I wonder which sports will be played in Brooklyn (my guess Basketball and maybe baseball and soccer) and the rest will be played in Long Island, but who knows at this time.

UAalum72
October 3rd, 2018, 02:23 PM
So Pioneers basketball will shuffle off into history?

I see they removed the track that used to circle old Hickox Field, which once was listed as 5,200 capacity. Recent renovation into Bethpage Federal Credit Union Stadium include 3,034 new seats (816 seatbacks), bringing the total to 4,083 seats. Probably enough for the NEC for now, unless they have ambitions while sitting between Fordham and Columbia to the west and Stony Brook to the east.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29137&stc=1

OK, not a stadium

Edit: Looks like they have plans to uprgrade the vistors' side grandstand

Go Green
October 3rd, 2018, 02:30 PM
If only one of the Patriot League members would add football - are you listening, American?

AU used to have a football team, but I have no idea where they played. My best guess is that they played on the field currently occupied by the field hockey and lacrosse teams.

Either they need a new field somewhere, or they have to kick field hockey out (not happening).

WestCoastAggie
October 3rd, 2018, 02:32 PM
I guess this means Delaware State's stuck in the MEAC. Rats!

Bluefish845
October 3rd, 2018, 02:39 PM
Agreed - 100%

Returning to an 8-game league schedule is the best news for the NEC in a while. This should eliminate the need to schedule D-II teams. For most schools it will likely mean 1 guarantee game on the road (at FBS/CAA/MVFC) and 2 games vs. FCS (Patriot/Ivy/Pioneer/MEAC/Big South) opponents.

NEC Football 2019
1. Bryant
2. Central Connecticut
3. Duquesne
4. Long Island
5. Merrimack
6. Robert Morris
7. Sacred Heart
8. Saint Francis
9. Wagner

I just hope that this isn't just a round robin of movement again. Factions of Bobby Mo, Bryant, CCSU and Duquesne have all expressed interest in moving on from the NEC whether for Basketball, Football or institutional reasons; but should those schools depart, a core of LIU, ST Francis, SHU, Wagner, Merrimack will not be attractive to many schools outside of Bentley and New Haven. I don't think Pace has an appetite to move, Stonehill? AIC? 9 is a very good number to have should any of the aforementioned schools leave

aceinthehole
October 3rd, 2018, 02:42 PM
I have always been in favor of the NEC trading CCSU for the AE for Hartford creating an all private school conference (NEC) and an all public school conference (AE)

As for LIU, I wonder which sports will be played in Brooklyn (my guess Basketball and maybe baseball and soccer) and the rest will be played in Long Island, but who knows at this time.

Again, a "trade" of CCSU for Hartford will never happen. However, America East remains at just 9 members and Men's Basketball must play a 16-game conference schedule, as most of the NCAA (major and mid-majors) are moving to a 20-game league schedule.

I detect an opening for America East to invite CCSU as the 10th member, only if CCSU was able to maintain football-affiliate membership in the NEC. I don't envision that happening in the near term, but it is a possibility. IMO, the AE has to look at getting to a 18-game basketball schedule soon.

Also, per Newsday:

Teams that will compete at the Post campus are baseball, men’s and women’s cross country, equestrian, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s lacrosse, women’s rowing, women’s rugby, men’s and women’s soccer, women’s tennis and men’s wrestling.

The Brooklyn campus will be home to men’s and women’s basketball, women’s bowling, women’s fencing, women’s ice hockey, softball, women’s swimming, men’s and women’s track and field, women’s volleyball and women’s water polo.
https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/liu-post-liu-brooklyn-1.21416636

UAalum72
October 3rd, 2018, 02:46 PM
How will football transition work? They're not starting from scratch at a D-I school, but they've got D-II players. When will they be playoff-eligible?

Bluefish845
October 3rd, 2018, 02:54 PM
AU used to have a football team, but I have no idea where they played. My best guess is that they played on the field currently occupied by the field hockey and lacrosse teams.

Either they need a new field somewhere, or they have to kick field hockey out (not happening).

AU's last football game was played in 1941 I believe....campus has changed just a tad since thenxdrunkyx

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2018, 03:01 PM
Will the Patriot be the smallest conference in I-AA/FCS by 2020?

Danielr11220
October 3rd, 2018, 03:39 PM
Again, a "trade" of CCSU for Hartford will never happen. However, America East remains at just 9 members and Men's Basketball must play a 16-game conference schedule, as most of the NCAA (major and mid-majors) are moving to a 20-game league schedule.

I detect an opening for America East to invite CCSU as the 10th member, only if CCSU was able to maintain football-affiliate membership in the NEC. I don't envision that happening in the near term, but it is a possibility. IMO, the AE has to look at getting to a 18-game basketball schedule soon.

Also, per Newsday:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/liu-post-liu-brooklyn-1.21416636

Soccer moving to LI shocks me because its been a long tradition in Brooklyn

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/11/02/sports/soccer-not-foreign-to-liu.html

and
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/23/nyregion/soccer-plan-upsets-a-brooklyn-campuss-neighbors.html

a foul ball from a soft ball game once came crashing through a window of our class room near the library when we were working on a case study. Funny moment.

RichH2
October 3rd, 2018, 03:51 PM
Congrats to NEC and LIU. Post has been a very good D2 football program. I dont think they will have much of a problem gearing up to D1

Sader87
October 3rd, 2018, 03:54 PM

Hopefully....

katss07
October 3rd, 2018, 03:59 PM
Awesome! Great to bring in a new school. FCS fits perfectly on Long Island for the Seawolves. Although they’ll play second fiddle FCS wise still great for the school and NEC.

ASU33
October 3rd, 2018, 04:05 PM

This is the first thing that I thought about. Y'all are stuck with the kid that nobody wants.

DFW HOYA
October 3rd, 2018, 06:15 PM

Not so fast, my friend. A ten team conference works as well. Del State would be one of five schools that would be possibilities if you count some of the others that would be playing football out of their home conferences. In no particular order, this would also include Monmouth, Marist, Georgetown, and Fordham (which would have to take a major cost cut if they were to consider the NEC).

The Patriot League went from 5,656 to 4,926 in the same time, almost all in the last year (2016 was 5,694). Maybe their being so tied to the Ivy is acting as a drag on them, too. Of course, if Holy Cross had joined the Big East....

Current PL average (all teams): 4,819

Seawolf97
October 3rd, 2018, 08:46 PM
LIU-Post has a very good football program and men's lax. They wont have trouble getting through the growing pains of moving up to D1 Give them a couple of years and they will be right there . SBU should start looking over its shoulder now when it comes to recruiting on the Island.

UNHWildcat18
October 4th, 2018, 07:53 AM

You might want to start sabotaging Bryant then, because if the AE calls a school to join and the NEC allows them to keep football in the conference, the call will be going to Bryant. I really wish we could get monmouth in for all sports and you guys take them back for football

Lehigh Football Nation
October 5th, 2018, 12:02 AM

Not when they accept Monmouth they won't.

Go...gate
October 5th, 2018, 02:39 AM
Not when they accept Monmouth they won't.

Associate or All-Sports?

aceinthehole
October 5th, 2018, 05:20 AM
Monmouth isn't leaving the MAAC. I could see football-only in the Patriot, but the Hawks are very pleased with their move from the NEC to the MAAC.

UNHWildcat18
October 5th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Monmouth isn't leaving the MAAC. I could see football-only in the Patriot, but the Hawks are very pleased with their move from the NEC to the MAAC.

Yeah that's the most likely scenario to happen. LIU's stadium is going to be best in the NEC when its done IMO.

WestCoastAggie
October 5th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Maybe DSU to the NEC still could happen?

Pards Rule
October 7th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Congrats LIU. We played the then CW Post in 1981 (W, 48-10) and havent faced them since

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 06:57 PM
This is the first thing that I thought about. Y'all are stuck with the kid that nobody wants.

Hey, dont be picking on Del State now

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 7th, 2018, 07:00 PM

No. Either stay or take everything out. The NEC needs to take a firm stance on this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank God. They bring nothing to the table.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 07:06 PM
so LIU plays in the shadows of JFK south of Flushing?

hebmskebm
October 7th, 2018, 07:49 PM
so LIU plays in the shadows of JFK south of Flushing?

No. LIU Post is on Long Island, in northern Nassau County. Brookville is a verrrrrry wealthy, old money place. Although the town/gown relationship isn't that bad, since the people who live around there have enough money to ensure their own seclusion from any crazy college shenanigans.

caribbeanhen
October 7th, 2018, 08:02 PM
No. LIU Post is on Long Island, in northern Nassau County. Brookville is a verrrrrry wealthy, old money place. Although the town/gown relationship isn't that bad, since the people who live around there have enough money to ensure their own seclusion from any crazy college shenanigans.

Thanks, that area sounds like Stony Brook right

hebmskebm
October 7th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Somewhat, SBU has a much larger footprint and impact in its area, being a major public university.

There is another university just a few minutes from Post in the area, the New York Institute of Technology (NYIT is a D2 school in Post's conference, although until recently their baseball team was a D1 independent). But again, there's not much "town" there, so to speak. Just some really, really rich people and a lot of pretty scenery.

GaelsFootball
October 9th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Apologize if this has been posted already but LIU Brooklyn and LIU CW POST will be combining athletic programs and will become a full Division 1 only member. They will play under united LIU name (new nickname and colors).

I see POST football having no trouble making an impact immediately in the NEC. Weve seen Bryant about a decade ago be very competitive in their initial transition year coming from the same D2 conference. Post is a traditional regional D2 power never having a problem recruiting good local talent and developing it.

http://athletics.liu.edu

Laker
October 9th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Now Iona (among others) need to restart football.

dbackjon
October 9th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Apologize if this has been posted already but LIU Brooklyn and LIU CW POST will be combining athletic programs and will become a full Division 1 only member. They will play under united LIU name (new nickname and colors).

I see POST football having no trouble making an impact immediately in the NEC. Weve seen Bryant about a decade ago be very competitive in their initial transition year coming from the same D2 conference. Post is a traditional regional D2 power never having a problem recruiting good local talent and developing it.

Thread here on it: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?214214-LIU-Going-D1-in-all-sports

But it was on page 3, so easy to miss

Go...gate
October 9th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Now Iona (among others) need to restart football.

Hofstra and Boston University.

Laker
October 9th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Hofstra and Boston University.

Northeastern, St. John's and Vermont also come to mind.

I'm going to watch BU play hockey in Mankato Saturday night.

Sader87
October 9th, 2018, 07:44 PM
BU will nevah play D1 football again sadly...nor will Northeasten, Hofstra or UVM.

aceinthehole
October 9th, 2018, 08:17 PM
BU will nevah play D1 football again sadly...nor will Northeasten, Hofstra or UVM.

Nor will St. John’s, Fairfield, Iona, St. Peter’s, Siena, or LaSalle.

Laker
October 9th, 2018, 08:23 PM

Nor will St. John’s, Fairfield, Iona, St. Peter’s, Siena, or LaSalle.

Good Lord! Ten teams which could have the sport- how depressing!

UAalum72
October 9th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Not as depressing as watching some of them play when they did have it.

CHIP72
October 9th, 2018, 09:15 PM

I was just thinking about this earlier this evening. I follow D2 football (not nearly as much as Laker, but I follow what is going on in the east more than Minnesota-based Laker), and LIU-Post has been one of the better teams in the NE-10 Conference the last few years; they went undefeated in the regular season just two years ago. Now mind you the NE-10 is one of the weaker D2 conferences (though Assumption has been very good in recent years; good thing for Sader87 they don't play their Worcester neighbors Holy Cross because the Greyhounds probably would beat the Crusaders at this point), but the best teams are competitive with better teams in all the other D2 Super Region 1 (SR1) conferences (PSAC, MEC, CIAA before it moved to SR2, now the GMAC). Considering the NEC is one of the weaker DI-AA conferences, I think LIU-Post will be competitive (i.e. at least a mid-pack) team immediately when they join the conference.

bonarae
October 9th, 2018, 11:26 PM

Well... some of those do have club football teams ATM. But there is really no inclination of moving those club football programs up to varsity... xsmhx

DFW HOYA
October 10th, 2018, 06:42 AM

Memo to BU: John Silber died six years ago. He doesn't run the place anymore.

bonarae
October 10th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Memo to BU: John Silber died six years ago. He doesn't run the place anymore.

Sorry. They have gone Pacific (the Tigers of Stockton). Not going to happen.

DFW HOYA
October 10th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Big difference between Pacific and BU: conference affiliation.

Pacific plays in the West Coast conference, a conference which has largely purged football from its ranks. For it to play somewhere else, the choices are limited--the Big Sky has just one school in California (Sac State) and lots of bus trips to St. George UT and Greeley MT.

BU has the Patriot League in its backyard, with more than a dozen ready opponents within four hours of Commonwealth Avenue.

Professor
October 10th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Very interesting move

NDSUKurt
October 10th, 2018, 05:39 PM

Pacific plays in the West Coast conference, a conference which has largely purged football from its ranks. For it to play somewhere else, the choices are limited--the Big Sky has just one school in California (Sac State) and lots of bus trips to St. George UT and Greeley MT.

BU has the Patriot League in its backyard, with more than a dozen ready opponents within four hours of Commonwealth Avenue.

Don't forget Cal Poly and UC Davis

cx500d
October 10th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Those don't count.

Go...gate
October 10th, 2018, 06:52 PM

C.W. Post has a nice campus.

UAalum72
October 11th, 2018, 08:52 AM
C.W. Post has a nice campus.
It's on the former estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post, daughter of breakfast cereal magnate Charles William Post, inventor of Grape-Nuts and Post Toasties.

DFW HOYA
October 11th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Missed it--thanks.

Go Green
October 11th, 2018, 09:23 AM
It's on the former estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post, daughter of breakfast cereal magnate Charles William Post, inventor of Grape-Nuts and Post Toasties.

And original owner of Mar-a-Lago.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2018, 12:45 PM

I agree, and I've been saying this for a while. Not to mention starting up Patriot League football would enhance their brand as being more than simply some Boston school not named Boston College.

"We and Northeastern are still here!" isn't a great rallying cry

UAalum72
April 3rd, 2019, 04:52 PM
Story in January said some CW Post athletes were asked preferences for the new mascot, between shark, eagle or falcon

http://liupostpioneer.com/new-mascot-coming-to-town/

Laker
April 3rd, 2019, 05:21 PM
Story in January said some CW Post athletes were asked preferences for the new mascot, between shark, eagle or falcon

http://liupostpioneer.com/new-mascot-coming-to-town/

Already way too many eagles and falcons. Sharks would be a little more unique but it is too bad that they are dumping the Blackbirds, because that is unique. If they would have left the colors as black and silver instead of changing to blue and gold that would fit the Sharks better. But with the merger of the two schools you know that they feel they have to change.

I wonder when they are having this vote. I've asked the athletic department three times and never got an answer.

FUBeAR
April 3rd, 2019, 06:17 PM
Already way too many eagles and falcons. Sharks would be a little more unique but it is too bad that they are dumping the Blackbirds, because that is unique. If they would have left the colors as black and silver instead of changing to blue and gold that would fit the Sharks better. But with the merger of the two schools you know that they feel they have to change.

I wonder when they are having this vote. I've asked the athletic department three times and never got an answer.I recently posted about this school on the Furman board. LOVE the Brooklyn Blackbirds mascot. Sure hope they go with Sharks. We definitely don't need any more birds or bulldogs. They seem to be keeping this whole mascot selection thing close to the vest. Not sure why they would do that unless they are having some turf or ego wars in the 2 merging Athletics Departments.

Laker
April 3rd, 2019, 06:33 PM
I recently posted about this school on the Furman board. LOVE the Brooklyn Blackbirds mascot. Sure hope they go with Sharks. We definitely don't need any more birds or bulldogs. They seem to be keeping this whole mascot selection thing close to the vest. Not sure why they would do that unless they are having some turf or ego wars in the 2 merging Athletics Departments.

Yes, here we are in April and no set date for a student vote. Seems odd to me since they need it for next season. Can't really vote over the summer.

BucBisonAtLarge
April 4th, 2019, 08:57 AM
...not sure why they would do that unless they are having some turf or ego wars in the 2 merging Athletics Departments.

Turf/ego wars are a cultural feature of life on Long Island.

If you don't like it, you can leave...

FUBeAR
April 4th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Turf/ego wars are a cultural feature of life on Long Island.

If you don't like it, you can leave...LOL - can’t leave...never even been there. Queens is the closest I’ve been...based on your comment, seems as if “Sharks” would be the right call.

RichH2
April 4th, 2019, 10:19 AM
LOL - can’t leave...never even been there. Queens is the closest I’ve been...based on your comment, seems as if “Sharks” would be the right call.

Queens is on Long Island xnodxxdrunkyx

FUBeAR
April 4th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Queens is on Long Island xnodxxdrunkyxYeah - I guess Queens and Brooklyn (where I've also been) both appear to be geographically part of LI. I just think of them as more of the 'buckle' connecting LI to NYC - I think of 'true' Long Island as points east of there.

RichH2
April 4th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Yeah - I guess Queens and Brooklyn (where I've also been) both appear to be geographically part of LI. I just think of them as more of the 'buckle' connecting LI to NYC - I think of 'true' Long Island as points east of there.

Most New Yorkers do also. Few realize that NYC is mostly islands. The Bronx is the only part on the mainland.

caribbeanhen
April 6th, 2019, 07:16 AM
Most New Yorkers do also. Few realize that NYC is mostly islands. The Bronx is the only part on the mainland.

if you zoom out, everyone lives on an Island.... Long Island starts at the last subway stop

100%GRIZ
April 6th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Congrats to LIU - should be interesting!

maristdb89
April 6th, 2019, 10:36 AM

Sorry Go...gate talked with AD about it, and AU will not (real strong, probably never) add FB. Wish they would. Zero interest at Admin level.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats to LIU/CW Post and NEC.

PAllen
April 6th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Sorry Go...gate talked with AD about it, and AU will not (real strong, probably never) add FB. Wish they would. Zero interest at Admin level.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats to LIU/CW Post and NEC.

BU and Loyola could add FB in a heartbeat, but neither will.

Son of Eli
April 7th, 2019, 12:04 PM

How about Fairfield University? They have a beautiful new lacrosse stadium that could be used for football.

Son of Eli
April 7th, 2019, 12:23 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30361&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30362&stc=1

Fairfield’s Rafferty Stadium Sears 3,500, has seats on both sides of the field and has a large video scoreboard. They would make a good candidate to join the Patriot League in football.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30361&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30362&stc=1

Fairfield’s Rafferty Stadium Sears 3,500, has seats on both sides of the field and has a large video scoreboard. They would make a good candidate to join the Patriot League in football.

UAalum72
April 7th, 2019, 02:51 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Fairfield only had football for seven years, 1996-2002, and was the first of the MAAC schools to drop the sport.

bonarae
May 7th, 2019, 01:29 AM
New update:

Blackbirds is too racist - what say ye Midwesterners and Southerners? xchinscratchx

https://nypost.com/2019/05/05/liu-alums-not-happy-school-is-saying-goodbye-to-blackbirds/

OhioHen
May 7th, 2019, 06:24 AM
New update:

Blackbirds is too racist - what say ye Midwesterners and Southerners? xchinscratchx

https://nypost.com/2019/05/05/liu-alums-not-happy-school-is-saying-goodbye-to-blackbirds/

How is the description of a wild animal racist? Ban Blackbirds and you may as well get rid of Tigers, Blue Hens, Bison, Eagles, etc.

ST_Lawson
May 7th, 2019, 08:43 AM
New update:

I mean...it's not. It's a bird. Blackbirds are no more racist than Redbirds, and as far as I know, nobody has complained to Illinois State about that.
I do understand the desire to start fresh and have a mascot that isn't connected to either of the two merging schools, but racism doesn't even come into it.

Personally, I like the Sharks because it's much more unique than Eagles or Falcons and is something you'd only find on the coast, whereas the birds are found all over.

FUBeAR
May 7th, 2019, 09:07 AM
New update:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/05/liu-alums-not-happy-school-is-saying-goodbye-to-blackbirds/Probably so...go to 4:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDqlUmRnBbo

Laker
May 7th, 2019, 09:52 AM
New update:

The person who claims this is an idiot. We have all kinds of them around here. Are they talking about all black birds, red wing blackbirds and yellow headed blackbirds? Just a poor attempt to deflect legitimate questions. I understand that they want new colors and a new nickname, but this is grasping at straws.

Austral blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral_blackbird) (Curaeus curaeus)
Bolivian blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivian_blackbird) (Agelaioides oreopsar)
Brewer's blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer%27s_blackbird) (Euphagus cyanocephalus)
Chestnut-capped blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut-capped_blackbird) (Chrysomus ruficapillus)
Chopi blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopi_blackbird) (Gnorimopsar chopi)
Cuban blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_blackbird) (Dives atroviolaceus)
Forbes's blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27s_blackbird) (Curaeus forbesi)
Jamaican blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_blackbird) (Nesopsar nigerrimus)
Melodious blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodious_blackbird) (Dives dives)
Oriole blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriole_blackbird) (Gymnomystax mexicanus)
Pale-eyed blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale-eyed_blackbird) (Agelasticus xanthophthalmus)
Red-breasted meadowlark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-breasted_meadowlark) (Sturnella militaris)
Red-shouldered blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-shouldered_blackbird) (Agelaius assimilis)
Red-winged blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_blackbird) (Agelaius phoeniceus)
Rusty blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_blackbird) (Euphagus carolinus)
Saffron-cowled blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron-cowled_blackbird) (Xanthopsar flavus)
Scarlet-headed blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet-headed_blackbird) (Amblyramphus holosericeus)
Scrub blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_blackbird) (Dives warszewiczi)
Tawny-shouldered blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawny-shouldered_blackbird) (Agelaius humeralis)
Tricolored blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricolored_blackbird) (Agelaius tricolor)
Unicolored blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicolored_blackbird) (Agelasticus cyanopus)
White-browed meadowlark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-browed_meadowlark) (Sturnella superciliaris)
Yellow-headed blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-headed_blackbird) (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus)
Yellow-hooded blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-hooded_blackbird) (Chrysomus icterocephalus)
Yellow-shouldered blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-shouldered_blackbird) (Agelaius xanthomus)
Yellow-winged blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-winged_blackbird) (Agelasticus thilius)

FUBeAR
May 7th, 2019, 10:22 AM
The person who claims this is an idiot. We have all kinds of them around here. Are they talking about all black birds, red wing blackbirds and yellow headed blackbirds? Just a poor attempt to deflect legitimate questions. I understand that they want new colors and a new nickname, but this is grasping at straws.

Austral blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral_blackbird) (Curaeus curaeus)
Bolivian blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivian_blackbird) (Agelaioides oreopsar)
Brewer's blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer%27s_blackbird) (Euphagus cyanocephalus)
Chestnut-capped blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut-capped_blackbird) (Chrysomus ruficapillus)
Chopi blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopi_blackbird) (Gnorimopsar chopi)
Cuban blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_blackbird) (Dives atroviolaceus)
Forbes's blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27s_blackbird) (Curaeus forbesi)
Jamaican blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_blackbird) (Nesopsar nigerrimus)
Melodious blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodious_blackbird) (Dives dives)
Oriole blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriole_blackbird) (Gymnomystax mexicanus)
Pale-eyed blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale-eyed_blackbird) (Agelasticus xanthophthalmus)
Red-breasted meadowlark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-breasted_meadowlark) (Sturnella militaris)
Red-shouldered blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-shouldered_blackbird) (Agelaius assimilis)
Red-winged blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-winged_blackbird) (Agelaius phoeniceus)
Rusty blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_blackbird) (Euphagus carolinus)
Saffron-cowled blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron-cowled_blackbird) (Xanthopsar flavus)
Scarlet-headed blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet-headed_blackbird) (Amblyramphus holosericeus)
Scrub blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_blackbird) (Dives warszewiczi)
Tawny-shouldered blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawny-shouldered_blackbird) (Agelaius humeralis)
Tricolored blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricolored_blackbird) (Agelaius tricolor)
Unicolored blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicolored_blackbird) (Agelasticus cyanopus)
White-browed meadowlark (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-browed_meadowlark) (Sturnella superciliaris)
Yellow-headed blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-headed_blackbird) (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus)
Yellow-hooded blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-hooded_blackbird) (Chrysomus icterocephalus)
Yellow-shouldered blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-shouldered_blackbird) (Agelaius xanthomus)
Yellow-winged blackbird (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-winged_blackbird) (Agelasticus thilius)

Maybe they should go with "Meadowlarks" - keeps the heritage (and the uniqueness of the mascot) & skirts/avoids the perceived 'issue.'

Laker
May 7th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Maybe they should go with "Meadowlarks" - keeps the heritage (and the uniqueness of the mascot) & skirts/avoids the perceived 'issue.'

Works for me. Grand Meadow MN are the "Superlarks".

Laker
May 7th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Works for me. Grand Meadow MN are the "Superlarks".

Professor Chaos
May 7th, 2019, 11:47 AM
In other news LIU has hired a consultant to help them choose a new nickname:

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/357d26459edc66ed3df1ff0ae5a46a55/202841807/2+PC+Principal.png

ngineer
May 10th, 2019, 01:05 PM

Yes. BU has football history, but Loyola is becoming a strong PL member in various sports. There is a very competitive level in lacrosse, right now and which gives them a ver nice stadium. Proximity to Georgetown is good for a neighboring rival. Still big Q is always money. The Merrimack and LIU cases are schools that already had football. In today's environment, I don't see anyone starting a new football program from the ground level.

ngineer
May 10th, 2019, 01:06 PM
In other news LIU has hired a consultant to help them choose a new nickname:

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/357d26459edc66ed3df1ff0ae5a46a55/202841807/2+PC+Principal.png

In "LIeU" of ???? (;-)

FUBeAR
May 10th, 2019, 01:25 PM
In today's environment, I don't see anyone starting a new football program from the ground level.Huh? 74 New College Football Programs since 2008.

https://footballfoundation.org/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2018/7/24/NCAA_Teams.PNG
https://footballfoundation.org/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2018/7/24/Schools_by_Division.PNG

5 Programs Launching in 2019 and Beyond

Clarke University (https://www.clarkecrusaders.com/sport/0/26.php) (Dubuque, Iowa): NAIA, Heart of America Athletic Conference (2019, intrasquad schedule in 2018)
Franklin Pierce University (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu/sports/sprintfbal/index) (Rindge, N.H.): NCAA Division II, Northeast-10 Conference (2019)
Wheeling Jesuit University (https://wjucardinals.com/index.aspx?path=fball&) (Wheeling, W.Va.): NCAA Division II, Mountain East Conference (2019, exhibition schedule in 2018)
Barton College (https://www.barton.edu/ncaa-dii-collegiate-football-coming-barton/) (Wilson, N.C.): NCAA Division II, Conference TBA (2020)
Keystone College (http://www.gokcgiants.com/index.aspx?path=football) (La Plume, Pa.): NCAA Division III, Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (2020, club team schedule in 2019)

7 Programs Launched in 2018

Allen University (http://www.auyellowjackets.com/sport/0/14.php) (Columbia, S.C.): NAIA, Independent
Alvernia University (https://auwolves.com/index.aspx?path=football) (Reading, Pa.): NCAA Division III, Middle Atlantic Conference
Indiana Wesleyan University (http://www.iwuwildcats.com/sport/0/22.php) (Marion, Ind.): NAIA, Mid-States Football Association
Keiser University (http://kuseahawks.com/index.aspx?path=football) (West Palm Beach, Fla.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Lawrence Technological University (http://www.ltuathletics.com/sport/0/29.php) (Southfield, Mich.): NAIA, Independent, will join Mid-States Football Association in 2019
Ottawa University-Arizona (http://ouazspirit.com/index.aspx?path=football) (Surprise, Ariz.): NAIA, Sooner Athletic Conference
University of New England (https://athletics.une.edu/index.aspx?path=football) (Biddeford, Maine): NCAA Division III, Commonwealth Coast Football

4 Programs Launched in 2017

Dean College (Franklin, Mass.): NCAA Division III, Eastern Collegiate Football Conference
St. Andrews University (Laurinburg, N.C.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Texas Wesleyan University (Fort Worth, Texas): NAIA, Sooner Athletic Conference
University of Alabama at Birmingham (Birmingham, Ala.): NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, Conference USA

4 Programs Launched in 2016

Cincinnati Christian University (Cincinnati, Ohio): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Davenport University (Grand Rapids, Mich.): NCAA Division II, Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
University of Texas of the Permian Basin (Odessa, Texas): NCAA Division II, Lone Star Conference
University of West Florida (Pensacola, Fla.): NCAA Division II, Gulf South Conference

4 Programs Launched in 2015

East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, Tenn.): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Southern Conference
Finlandia University (Hancock, Mich.): NCAA Division III, Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
Kennesaw State University (Kennesaw, Ga.): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Big South Conference
Lyon College (Batesville, Ark.): NAIA, Sooner Athletic Conference

6 Programs Launched in 2014

Arizona Christian University (Phoenix, Ariz.): NAIA, Sooner Athletic Conference
College of Idaho (Caldwell, Idaho): NAIA, Frontier Conference
George Fox University (Newberg, Ore.): NCAA Division III, Northwest Conference
Limestone College (Gaffney, S.C.): NCAA Division II, South Atlantic Conference
Missouri Baptist University (Saint Louis, Mo.): NAIA, Mid-States Football Association
Southeastern University (Lakeland, Fla.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference

12 Programs Launched in 2013

Alderson Broaddus University (Philippi, W.Va.): NCAA Division II, Great Midwest Athletic Conference
Berry College (Mount Berry, Ga.): NCAA Division III, Southern Athletic Association
Florida Tech (Melbourne, Fla.): NCAA Division II, Gulf South Conference
Hendrix College (Conway, Ark.): NCAA Division III, Southern Athletic Association
Houston Baptist University (Houston, Texas): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Southland Conference
Mercer University (Macon, Ga.): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Southern Conference
Oklahoma Baptist University (Shawnee, Okla.): NCAA Division II, Great American Conference
Reinhardt University (Waleska, Ga.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Southwestern University (Georgetown, Texas): NCAA Division III, American Southwest Conference
Stetson University (DeLand, Fla.): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Pioneer Football League
University of North Carolina at Charlotte (Charlotte, N.C.): NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, Conference USA
Warner University (Lake Wales, Fla.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference

5 Programs Launched in 2012

Bluefield College (Bluefield, Va.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Lindenwood University-Belleville (Belleville,Ill.): NAIA, Mid-States Football Association
Misericordia University (Dallas, Pa.): NCAA Division III, Middle Atlantic Conference
Point University (West Point, Ga.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Wayland Baptist University (Plainview, Texas): NAIA, Sooner Athletic Conference

8 Programs Launched in 2011

Ave Maria University (Ave Maria, Fla.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Concordia University Ann Arbor (Ann Arbor, Mich.): NAIA, Mid-States Football Association
Presentation College (Aberdeen, S.D.): NAIA, North Star Athletic Association
Robert Morris University (Chicago, Ill.): NAIA, Mid-States Football Association
Siena Heights University (Adrian, Mich.): NAIA, Mid-States Football Association
Stevenson University (Owings Mills, Md.): NCAA Division III, Middle Atlantic Conference
University of Texas at San Antonio (San Antonio, Texas): NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, Conference USA
Virginia University of Lynchburg (Lynchburg, Va.): Independent

6 Programs Launched in 2010

Georgia State University (Atlanta, Ga.): NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, Sun Belt Conference
Lamar University (Beaumont, Texas): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Southland Conference
Lindsey Wilson College (Columbia, Ky.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Notre Dame College (South Euclid, Ohio): NCAA Division II, Mountain East Conference
Pacific University (Forest Grove, Ore.): NCAA Division III, Northwest Conference
University of South Alabama (Mobile, Ala.): NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, Sun Belt Conference

5 Programs Launched in 2009

Anna Maria College (Paxton, Mass.): NCAA Division III, Eastern Collegiate Football Conference
Castleton University (Castleton, Vt.): NCAA Division III, Eastern Collegiate Football Conference
Old Dominion University (Norfolk, Va.): NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, Conference USA
University of New Haven (West Haven, Conn.): NCAA Division II, Northeast-10 Conference
University of the Incarnate Word (San Antonio, Texas): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Southland Conference

8 Programs Launched in 2008

Campbell University (Buies Creek, N.C.): NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, Big South Conference
College of St. Scholastica (Duluth, Minn.): NCAA Division III, Upper Midwest Athletic Conference
Colorado State University-Pueblo (Pueblo, Colo.): NCAA Division II, Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference
Dordt College (Sioux Center, Iowa): NAIA, Great Plains Athletic Conference
Grand View University (Des Moines, Iowa): NAIA, Heart of America Athletic Conference
Kentucky Christian University (Grayson, Ky.): NAIA, Mid-South Conference
Lake Erie College (Painesville, Ohio): NCAA Division II, Great Midwest Athletic Conference
Lincoln University (Lincoln University, Pa.): NCAA Division II, Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association

UAalum72
May 10th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Name the shark/eagle/falcon "Lew" and the women's team's "Lucy", get a donation from Lucy Liu (she was born in Queens)
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30497&stc=1

Laker
May 11th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Erskine- D2- will also be starting football in 2020.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/coolest-college-helmets-in-sc-erskine-football-relaunches-program-dormant/article_21e0740a-053f-11e9-a4d8-57eda83140b3.html

Hammersmith
May 11th, 2019, 03:33 PM
Erskine- D2- will also be starting football in 2020.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/coolest-college-helmets-in-sc-erskine-football-relaunches-program-dormant/article_21e0740a-053f-11e9-a4d8-57eda83140b3.html

Welp, their opponents are boned. Their recruits will be all short, weak, scrawny guys who will turn into supermen by the first game. And their discus team will be off the charts.

RootinFerDukes
May 11th, 2019, 03:52 PM
So am I summarizing this correctly in terms of FCS transitions?

No current transitions to FBS.

In 2018, Idaho moved down to FCS from FBS. North Alabama joined FCS from D2 as an independent and will eventually join the Big South.
In 2019, Merrimack and Long Island join FCS from D2 (The Post campus is what is technically joining D1/FCS as the two programs "fuse" into one D1 athletic department and it becomes a two campus university). They will both be immediately be joining the NEC.
In 2019, Savannah State leaves the MEAC and FCS and drops down to D2.
In 2020, Dixie State moves up to FCS from D2 as an independent with no current FCS conference membership announced. Rumors of a WAC football conference revival at the FCS level are present.

Am I missing any new FCS programs?

It sounds like Long Island will be immediately playoff eligible since Brooklyn is already D1 and they can use that as a work around. D1 Brooklyn is "adding football off campus" at Post.

RootinFerDukes
May 11th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Big South welcomes North Alabama and Hampton in 2019.
MVFC welcomes North Dakota in 2020.
Presbyterian leaves the Big South in 2020, one year of FCS independence in 2020 and then joins the Pioneer Football League in 2021.

Any other conference changes on the horizon?

aceinthehole
May 13th, 2019, 10:10 AM
So am I summarizing this correctly in terms of FCS transitions?

In 2019, Merrimack and Long Island join FCS from D2 (The Post campus is what is technically joining D1/FCS as the two programs "fuse" into one D1 athletic department and it becomes a two campus university). They will both be immediately be joining the NEC.

It sounds like Long Island will be immediately playoff eligible since Brooklyn is already D1 and they can use that as a work around. D1 Brooklyn is "adding football off campus" at Post.

Not exactly.

Correct, LIU is a full FCS and NEC member beginning in 2019. Although the football team at LIU-Post was previously a D-II program, it is now being "absorbed" or "sponsored" by the existing D-I athletic program in Brooklyn. The consolidated athletic programs, with 2 campus locations, will be now known as Division I member Long Island University (LIU). LIU-Post (and LIU-Brooklyn) no longer exists as NCAA programs.

On the other hand, Merrimack is considered a transitioning FCS member and will not play a full NEC schedule in 2019. They do have 3 NEC teams on the schedule this year as non-conference games. I'm not sure when the Warriors will start to play a full NEC schedule, but they will not become a full member of the DI conference until 2021-24, after the completion of a four year NCAA Division I reclassification period.

DFW HOYA
May 13th, 2019, 05:22 PM
With the NEC now approaching nine schools, the seven team Patriot League becomes the smallest conference in the subdivision.

dgtw
May 13th, 2019, 05:49 PM
From an academic standpoint, are the schools themselves merging into one university?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aceinthehole
May 15th, 2019, 09:26 AM
From an academic standpoint, are the schools themselves merging into one university?

No - because it was already a single university with two separate campuses and athletic programs.

My understanding is that LIU has always had a single accreditation that covered both campuses.

Long Island University (LIU) was founded on the principle of educating and empowering men and women from all walks of life. Through our mission of Access and Excellence, the LIU community remains committed, above all else, to the educational needs and interests of our diverse student body. We strive to cultivate and expand academic, professional, artistic, and co-curricular opportunities, enabling students to realize their full potential as ethically grounded, intellectually vigorous, and socially responsible global citizens.

LIU was founded in 1926 in Brooklyn, N.Y. Over the course of nine decades of academic excellence, LIU has become one of America’s largest comprehensive private universities, offering more than 500 academic programs across multiple campuses spanning the New York metropolitan area, overseas, and online.

Located in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn, the city’s fastest growing economic and cultural neighborhood, LIU Brooklyn (http://liu.edu/Office-of-the-President/~/link.aspx?_id=15BF4BCC6DA74541A8575FE2F7EE630C&_z=z) has been a cornerstone of progressive education for nearly 90 years and is home to the University’s oldest school, LIU Pharmacy (Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences), then the Brooklyn College of Pharmacy, originally founded in 1891.

Recognizing the educational needs of the growing number of families moving to the suburbs, in 1951 the University purchased the estate of Mrs. Joseph E. Davis, better known as Marjorie Merriweather Post. Just 27 miles east of New York City on Long Island’s idyllic Gold Coast, LIU Post (http://liu.edu/Office-of-the-President/~/link.aspx?_id=3E10F58A778C41568B1C0BB4245A5FF6&_z=z) is a scenic, historic, and scholarly campus that offers a small-school environment, but with the access and resources of a major metropolitan university.

Through a one-of-a-kind bachelor’s degree education without borders, LIU Global (http://liu.edu/Office-of-the-President/~/link.aspx?_id=4E05E326A6C54EF1A5B7F8935D94637F&_z=z) prepares students for careers as global leaders in business, policy, humanitarian relief, social entrepreneurship, economic development, and environmental sustainability through an immersive learning experience spanning eight countries on four continents.

From the shores of Long Island, to the epicenter of business and tech innovation in Brooklyn, to the far corners of the world, LIU offers a unique college experience for every student seeking academic enrichment and professional opportunity. Upon graduation, our students join a community of more than 200,000 alumni to become global leaders in fields that include the arts, health sciences, media, education, pharmacy, business, technology, public service, and professional sports.
http://liu.edu/Office-of-the-President/LIU-Facts

aceinthehole
May 16th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Welcome the LIU Sharks.

https://liuathletics.com/news/2019/5/15/general-welcome-to-the-shark-tank-liu-chooses-sharks-as-new-mascot.aspx

blackbeard
May 16th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Welcome the LIU Sharks.

https://liuathletics.com/news/2019/5/15/general-welcome-to-the-shark-tank-liu-chooses-sharks-as-new-mascot.aspx

Such a shame to drop the Blackbirds mascot. I understand why they did it, doesn't mean we have to like it.

RootinFerDukes
May 16th, 2019, 10:58 AM
I'm offended by Sharks. They kill other animals below them in the food chain and even humans who dare to enter their natural habitat. Ruthless killers. All of them.

UNHWildcat18
May 16th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I'm offended by Sharks. They kill other animals below them in the food chain and even humans who dare to enter their natural habitat. Ruthless killers. All of them.

Sad thing is....I wouldn't be surprised if a student(s) protest the name because if promotes violence and rape culture. I remember that fiasco when UCONN came out with their new husky logo. I actually like the change.

Anthony215
May 16th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I found it interesting that LIU will only have 2 home games this year, can't generate much revenue if any on only 2 home games. Any chance they pick up an extra home game for Week 1 since it looks like their 1st game isn't until 9/7 which I believe would be week 2 of the upcoming season....

dgtw
May 16th, 2019, 05:28 PM
http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/05/12/long-beach-state-selects-sharks-as-new-mascot/

LIU won’t be the only school changing to Sharks. But unlike LIU, this was PC-driven.

Laker
May 17th, 2019, 07:12 AM
Welcome the LIU Sharks.

First Long Beach, now Long Island. Will Long John Silver's be next?

Laker
May 17th, 2019, 07:16 AM
nm

ST_Lawson
May 17th, 2019, 08:25 AM
Personally, I like it. Fairly unique and something specific to the region/area (coastal).

uni88
May 17th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Personally, I like it. Fairly unique and something specific to the region/area (coastal).Yep. Now they need a rival named the Jets.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Laker
May 17th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Yep. Now they need a rival named the Jets.

The school song should be 'Maria".

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOeSRUrxTMqZX3Cx6k0OhuYIMkkCkOa XfL71vmqsDwvUSSVK2vsA

ST_Lawson
May 20th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Time for Montclair State (NJ) to ramp up to DI and change their mascot name.

dgtw
May 20th, 2019, 08:40 AM
The school song should be 'Maria".

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOeSRUrxTMqZX3Cx6k0OhuYIMkkCkOa XfL71vmqsDwvUSSVK2vsA

Officer Krupke could be head of security.

caribbeanhen
May 20th, 2019, 08:55 PM

and Jets, I thought the major was a lady suffragette..... Jets......

or this one

Ba ba ba ba Bennie and the Jets....

DFW HOYA
May 21st, 2019, 07:25 AM
I still think "Railroad" would have been something.

They could have used the origins of the Texas fight song ("I've been Working On The Railroad") and had their students sway to the "Wabash Cannonball" at the end of the third quarter. (Except it wouldn't be the Wabash Cannonball, it would the "Change at Jamaica".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUjQ39eTQbk

uni88
May 21st, 2019, 08:40 AM
I still think "Railroad" would have been something.

They could have used the origins of the Texas fight song ("I've been Working On The Railroad") and had their students sway to the "Wabash Cannonball" at the end of the third quarter. (Except it wouldn't be the Wabash Cannonball, it would the "Change at Jamaica".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUjQ39eTQbkThat would have been an awesome nickname/mascot.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2019, 06:26 PM
First Long Beach, now Long Island. Will Long John Silver's be next?

Long John Sharks

JMUNJ08
May 24th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Time for Montclair State (NJ) to ramp up to DI and change their mascot name.

NJ needs another D1 program to rival Princeton...

ngineer
May 28th, 2019, 11:47 AM
I was not clear on my comment. I was referring to D-I programs (FBS or FCS) starting from scratch. The non-football schools of the Patriot League (American, Boston U., Loyolal) would have to start at ground level, as opposed to "moving up" from D-II, D-III or NAIA. At our level, that would be a substantial capital and operating expense out of the gate.

DFW HOYA
May 28th, 2019, 08:33 PM
I was not clear on my comment. I was referring to D-I programs (FBS or FCS) starting from scratch. The non-football schools of the Patriot League (American, Boston U., Loyolal) would have to start at ground level, as opposed to "moving up" from D-II, D-III or NAIA. At our level, that would be a substantial capital and operating expense out of the gate.

Boston U and Loyola have ready-made facilities; the latter is better right now than Georgetown, Fordham, and maybe Bucknell.

https://www.jspe.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/loyola_univ_ridley_athletic_complex.jpg

RichH2
May 29th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Boston U and Loyola have ready-made facilities; the latter is better right now than Georgetown, Fordham, and maybe Bucknell.

https://www.jspe.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/loyola_univ_ridley_athletic_complex.jpg

But,neither at all likely to add football.

Laker
May 29th, 2019, 12:41 PM
The LIU Sharks will be coming to Brookings, SD on Sept 7 to play the Jackrabbits in football.