PDA

View Full Version : 2018 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (V 1.0)

grizband
October 3rd, 2018, 03:31 AM
2018 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (V 1.0)

Starting earlier this season, the list of teams below are unable to reach 7 Division 1 wins in 2018.

Notes:
Every season I compile a list of FCS teams still capable of reaching 7 Division 1 wins. Although 7 wins is no longer the official plateau for at-large selection, it is highly unlikely a 6-5 team will be selected. The list is for reference only, and is not meant to predict the probability of the teams selected. It will be updated weekly, as teams are eliminated, or teams secure their conference auto-bid.

Teams are organized by conference, although Ivy League teams are not included since their conference does not participate in the FCS playoffs. MEAC and SWAC teams are listed since their second place teams are technically eligible to receive a playoff berth. However, Southern and Grambling from the SWAC are not listed, due to their schedule conflict with the Bayou Classic; Alabama State also has a Thanksgiving conflict.

Houston Baptist is on probation, and therefore ineligible for the postseason.

North Alabama is not eligible for the playoffs, during their FCS transition from Division II.

Key:
Teams preceded by an asterisk (*) have already reached 7 Division 1 wins.
Teams listed in bold need to win all remaining games to reach 7 Division I wins.
Teams followed by a hash tag (#) have played a lower division team
Teams followed by a plus sign (+) have an FBS team remaining on their schedule.

Big Sky
Portland State (1-4)# eliminated
Northern Colorado (0-5) eliminated

Big South
Gardner-Webb (1-4)# eliminated

Independents
Hampton (1-3)# eliminated

MEAC
Savannah State (0-4) eliminated
Delaware State (0-4)# eliminated
North Carolina Central (1-3)# eliminated

Northeast
Robert Morris (1-3) eliminated (cannot reach 7 Division 1 wins)
Wagner (1-4) eliminated

Ohio Valley
Tennessee Tech (0-5) eliminated

Southern
Samford (1-4)# eliminated
VMI (0-5)# eliminated

Southland
Lamar (1-4)# eliminated

SWAC
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1-4)# eliminated

BEAR
October 3rd, 2018, 08:13 AM
Southland
Lamar (1-4)# eliminated
HBU (1-3) not eligible?

on the cuff
ACU- (2-3) plays McNeese Saturday.
SLU- (2-3) yet to play McNeese, Nicholls, SHSU
Stephen F. Austin (1-3)- Best they can do is 7-3 and hope for upsets with conference leaders. Maybe.

Professor
October 3rd, 2018, 08:34 AM
Alabama State is ineligible as well. They play a game on Thanksgiving

grizband
October 3rd, 2018, 10:46 AM
Alabama State is ineligible as well. They play a game on ThanksgivingThanks for the reminder.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

grizband
October 3rd, 2018, 10:47 AM
Southland
Lamar (1-4)# eliminated
HBU (1-3) not eligible?

on the cuff
ACU- (2-3) plays McNeese Saturday.
SLU- (2-3) yet to play McNeese, Nicholls, SHSU
Stephen F. Austin (1-3)- Best they can do is 7-3 and hope for upsets with conference leaders. Maybe. Remember, the list isn't for predictions, only updating who is still in the running.

Is Houston Baptist not eligible?

MSUDuo
October 3rd, 2018, 11:02 AM
What about 6 D1 wins out of 7 wins? Surely a team that goes 5-3 in the Valley wouldn't be left out.

*Yes, I know the chances are small, but come on! Let me dream again for a change!

Reign of Terrier
October 3rd, 2018, 11:07 AM
I think the Citadel is in trouble because their game with Charleston Southern was rescheduled to the first week of the playoffs which means, with 2 losses and a presumptive loss to Alabama, they can only reach 7 D1 wins. One loss and they could be out.

grizband
October 3rd, 2018, 11:27 AM
What about 6 D1 wins out of 7 wins? Surely a team that goes 5-3 in the Valley wouldn't be left out.

*Yes, I know the chances are small, but come on! Let me dream again for a change!
It would all depend on the landscape of FCS football. Remember, nothing exists in a vacuum, but I supposed there exists a very slight chance (How's that for you?).

BEAR
October 3rd, 2018, 11:31 AM
Remember, the list isn't for predictions, only updating who is still in the running.

Is Houston Baptist not eligible?

Well then SFA is still eligible so I'd take them off the list. Sure it's unlikely they will make it. But they are still in the running and could go 7-3.
I don't think HBU is eligible due to some infractions I believe. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/houston-baptist-failed-monitor-its-football-program

grizband
October 3rd, 2018, 11:37 AM
Well then SFA is still eligible so I'd take them off the list. Sure it's unlikely they will make it. But they are still in the running and could go 7-3.
I don't think HBU is eligible due to some infractions I believe. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/houston-baptist-failed-monitor-its-football-program
I updated HBU already, but thanks for catching SFA!

BEAR
October 3rd, 2018, 11:45 AM
I updated HBU already, but thanks for catching SFA!

It really is a slim chance and 5 SLC teams will likely be DONE this weekend. Your updating of the long list of SLC teams will be needed! xlolx