PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-1

JALMOND
October 1st, 2018, 10:02 PM
As we turn the calendar into October, teams are playing games that will mean something come crunch time. Those teams that are decided usually do better than those that are still trying to find themselves at this point. What started out as possibly nine teams thinking they had a shot this year has evolved into one sure team (EWU) and five others that are trying to keep up. Then, as usual, there is one from the 4 "also-mentions", Idaho State, that has emerged as a serious contender in this early season. Here are this week's power rankings in the Big Sky (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Here we go.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week won at Montana State 34-17, this week Southern Utah at home---The Eagles sit atop the conference after a good, solid conference road win last weekend. They head back to their red field and welcome another worthy opponent.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona ---The Wildcats got a strong home win two weeks ago, then took last week off. Eager to get back in the swing of things, they go out on the road to meet the reeling Lumberjacks.

3. UC Davis (3)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Colorado---Coming off an impressive home rout of the new kids in the conference, the Aggies took a week off to prepare for the rest of their conference slate. They head out on the road this weekend.

4. Montana (5)---Last week won at Cal Poly 48-28, this week Portland State at home---Every week, the Grizzlies look tougher and tougher and they showed it by getting a conference road win. They'll welcome hapless Portland State to their home field.

5. Montana State (4)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 34-17, this week bye---The Bobcats gave a good fight at home last week but still came out short against a good Eagles team. They get a week off to lick their wounds and rest.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Last week bye, this week Cal Poly at home---After a disappointing showing on the road at a place they've never won, the Hornets took last week off to regroup and hopefully refocus. They should get an easy game this weekend.

7. Idaho State (8)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 56-42, this week Idaho at home---Before the big showdown this weekend, the Bengals put any notion of looking ahead to rest as they came out blazing to continue a great season so far. Now comes the game they've been looking forward to.

8. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week lost at Idaho State 56-42, this week Weber State at home---Life without Cookus has not been kind to the Lumberjacks as they continue to spiral out of control. A tough road loss and now a tough opponent comes to town.

9. Idaho (10)---Last week beat Portland State at home 20-7, this week at Idaho State---During a game when their offense was stymied, their defense and special teams rose up and got their conference win. But they get rewarded by meeting up with their in-state brethren.

10. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week lost to North Dakota at home 38-13, this week UC Davis at home---Again, the Bears looked tough for a bit, yet could not get a win. Soon, they have to figure out how to win these games because things don't get easy.

11. Southern Utah (11)---Last week bye, this week at Eastern Washington---The Thunderbirds welcomed a much needed bye to regroup and try to salvage what is left of the season. They were thought of as possible contenders, now they need a win against a strong team.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost to Montana at home 48-28, this week at Sacramento State---Better things have to happen soon for the Mustangs, but for now they just can't get any traction going. A brutal start to the conference has taken its toll on them.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week lost at Idaho 20-7, this week at Montana---The Vikings defense finally rose up, yet this week it was the offense that sputtered in a loss. Now they hope to recover, but they have to go to hostile grounds to try to win. Not likely.

RECAP: 1, then 2-6 in a bunch with 7 gaining quickly, 8-11 falling, then 12, then 13.

wapiti
October 2nd, 2018, 09:12 AM
I think you pretty much nailed it this week.

You did mention the griz are appearing tougher and tougher each week, but their opponents have been weaker and weaker each week too.

I would put North Dakota at 7.5

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
Drop UNC to 12. They may jump up and play tough a time or two coming up but what I saw was a team that quit. Their defense was as bad as ever. Plus Mott might be hurt now too.

Grizalltheway
October 2nd, 2018, 09:21 AM
I think you pretty much nailed it this week.

You did mention the griz are appearing tougher and tougher each week, but their opponents have been weaker and weaker each week too.

I would put North Dakota at 7.5
UNI, WIU, and Sac State were all tough opponents. That's 3 out of 5.xthumbsupx

kalm
October 2nd, 2018, 09:22 AM
UNI, WIU, and Sac State were all tough opponents. That's 3 out of 5.xthumbsupx

Truth. Griz have played a solid schedule.

nevadagriz
October 2nd, 2018, 11:09 AM
Truth. Griz have played a solid schedule.

I would say 4/5 games were tough. If Montana was #1 and Poly #124 I would consider it a tough game.
The TO gives me grey hair.

1. EWU just doing EWU things
2. Davis has really impressed me.
3. Weber I'm just not sure how good they are.
4.Montana continue to improve.
5. Msu will win the rest of their games until the Brawl
6. ISU took NAU to the woodshed (actually looking forward to the potato bowl saturday)
7. Sac st. just not impressed considering the hype preseason
8. SUU will be a tough win for any one left on their schedule
9. NAU i have nothing. Even with injuries they should look better then they do.

Grizalltheway
October 2nd, 2018, 11:21 AM
I would say 4/5 games were tough. If Montana was #1 and Poly #124 I would consider it a tough game.
The TO gives me grey hair.

1. EWU just doing EWU things
2. Davis has really impressed me.
3. Weber I'm just not sure how good they are.
4.Montana continue to improve.
5. Msu will win the rest of their games until the Brawl
6. ISU took NAU to the woodshed (actually looking forward to the potato bowl saturday)
7. Sac st. just not impressed considering the hype preseason
8. SUU will be a tough win for any one left on their schedule
9. NAU i have nothing. Even with injuries they should look better then they do.

I see them losing at Weber and maybe even ISU. Strange things happen in that barn.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 11:26 AM
I see them losing at Weber and maybe even ISU. Strange things happen in that barn.

That barn is like going back to the 70s mentally. Every time UND goes there it's like they're sleep walking through the game. Just a weird vibe with the coloring and such.

Iridebikes
October 2nd, 2018, 09:05 PM
I think JALMOND has it pretty much right on. Next couple of weeks will be fun as we have #1,2,3 and 4 playing against each other.

grizband
October 3rd, 2018, 12:25 AM
Montana doesn't play Idaho State this year; Griz travel to Idaho in November. Honestly, I would rather play Idaho this year, as Idaho State looks to contend for an at-large playoff berth.

Grizalltheway
October 3rd, 2018, 09:14 AM
Montana doesn't play Idaho State this year; Griz travel to Idaho in November. Honestly, I would rather play Idaho this year, as Idaho looks to contend for an at-large playoff berth.

I know, I was referring to MSU. xthumbsupx

wapiti
October 3rd, 2018, 09:19 AM
Montana doesn't play Idaho State this year; Griz travel to Idaho in November. Honestly, I would rather play Idaho this year, as Idaho looks to contend for an at-large playoff berth.

I disagree. Based on how the season has so far progressed for ISU and UI, I would say ISU is more likely to contend for an at-large playoff berth.

UI struggled a bit against PSU at HOME!!!

BadlandsGrizFan
October 3rd, 2018, 09:45 AM
That barn is like going back to the 70s mentally. Every time UND goes there it's like they're sleep walking through the game. Just a weird vibe with the coloring and such.

Ya UND should totally talk about playing in a no atmosphere barn

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2018, 09:46 AM

No doubt about it.

grizband
October 3rd, 2018, 09:52 AM
I disagree. Based on how the season has so far progressed for ISU and UI, I would say ISU is more likely to contend for an at-large playoff berth.

UI struggled a bit against PSU at HOME!!!Edited my post because I meant Idaho State, not Idaho.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

geaux_sioux
October 3rd, 2018, 12:51 PM

How many teams in the Big Sky get enough crowd noise to produce false starts? Griz, Cats, F’Hawks, and who?

F'N Hawks
October 3rd, 2018, 12:55 PM
How many teams in the Big Sky get enough crowd noise to produce false starts? Griz, Cats, F’Hawks, and who?

2018 Bengals vs Idaho this week. It's been awhile, though for the Bengal Nation.

geaux_sioux
October 3rd, 2018, 12:56 PM
2018 Bengals vs Idaho this week. It's been awhile, though for the Bengal Nation.
We’ll see.

kalm
October 3rd, 2018, 03:29 PM

It’s tough with the track in the way.

(And the polite fans who sit all game in silence)

Grizalltheway
October 3rd, 2018, 03:33 PM
It’s tough with the track in the way.

(And the polite fans who sit all game in silence)

No need for auditory distractions when the players' retinas are being scorched by the field.

BOOM!

BadlandsGrizFan
October 3rd, 2018, 03:41 PM

Oh I wasnt aware the FHAWKS (KAWWWWWW) produced noise nowadays.

kalm
October 3rd, 2018, 04:28 PM
No need for auditory distractions when the players' retinas are being scorched by the field.

BOOM!

It’s a welcome warmth come December. Oooh that’s right, you’ve probably forgotten that December football still exists.

SMOKED!

Grizalltheway
October 3rd, 2018, 04:52 PM
It’s a welcome warmth come December. Oooh that’s right, you’ve probably forgotten that December football still exists.

SMOKED!

Oof!

https://i.postimg.cc/ydr4MLq1/l_YDmo1w.gif

Silenoz
October 3rd, 2018, 04:58 PM

SMOKED!
I mean, does it really? Seems to have disappeared somewhere around 2011 when NDSU started putting the trophy in its bag in August.

veinup
October 3rd, 2018, 05:12 PM
i'm curious about this ISU barn that keeps getting mentioned. maybe i'll drive over for this "potato bowl"...

Grizalltheway
October 3rd, 2018, 05:19 PM
i'm curious about this ISU barn that keeps getting mentioned. maybe i'll drive over for this "potato bowl"...

From LA? I can assure you the game or the venue won't be worth that drive.

veinup
October 4th, 2018, 10:31 AM
From LA? I can assure you the game or the venue won't be worth that drive.

i've relocated to boise. need to update my location here lol