PDA

View Full Version : 2018-10/06 AGS GOTW Week 6

Preferred Walk-On
October 1st, 2018, 09:25 PM
Nice set of games this week. Each with its own intrigue. Will be curious to see which one AGS members choose (and why).

Elon @ James Madison - Sorting out of the CAA. JMU is the standard. Is Elon what some think they could be? Highest ranked matchup.

North Dakota State @ Northern Iowa - Always a slobberknocker!

Stony Brook @ Towson - Who is the best CAA team of those not named JMU? This game will help figure this out.

Dartmouth @ Yale - Great showing by Yale last week. Is Dartmouth for real? BTW, only one of these teams beat Holy Cross.

UC-Davis @ Northern Colorado - I know, Northern Colorado? Well, Northern Colorado has played North Dakota, South Dakota, Sacramento State, Weber State, and McNeese State...four of which have been ranked in the AGS poll at some point this season (and one ORV). This is a barometer game of UC-Davis.

Western Illinois @ Illinois State - Intrastate battle with AGS poll ranking and MVFC implications.

Missouri State @ South Dakota - Missouri State’s victory over Illinois State last week (combined with some discussion about ranking South Dakota in the AGS poll) just made this game much more interesting.

Wofford @ Chattanooga - Chattanooga took a close loss last week to a team (East Tennessee State) that some have debated, dare I say lobbied for, the merits of ranking. Will help sort out the top of the Southern Conference.

Villanova @ Maine - Rebound game for two AGS ranked teams.

Reign of Terrier
October 1st, 2018, 11:58 PM
I think GOTW belongs somewhere in the CAA this week

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ecasadoSBU
October 2nd, 2018, 12:40 AM
Stony Brook vs Towson is a huge game

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 2nd, 2018, 06:17 AM
Elon vs JMU

Bisonator
October 2nd, 2018, 06:45 AM
Stony Brook vs Towson is a huge game
Yep I think this is going to be the best game.

Don't think Elon will be much of a challenge for JMU.

Daytripper
October 2nd, 2018, 08:45 AM
Some day, hopefully in the near future, Sam Houston and SFA will both be good enough that the Battle of the Piney Woods would be in serious consideration for the GOTW.

nodak651
October 2nd, 2018, 10:07 AM
Idaho vs Idaho State is going to be very interesting! ISU gets to play the big bad FBS team (lol) at their house for the first time in a long time... and Idaho State could actually have some potential to sneak into the playoffs. Holt Arena will be rockin!

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 10:10 AM
Idaho vs Idaho State is going to be very interesting! ISU gets to play the big bad FBS team (lol) at their house for the first time in a long time... and Idaho State could actually have some potential to sneak into the playoffs. Holt Arena will be rockin!I actually put ISU in my poll, they better not embarrass me.xlolx

nodak651
October 2nd, 2018, 10:24 AM
I actually put ISU in my poll, they better not embarrass me.xlolx
Well, they have potential. I know the game should be interesting, at least, and ISU actually has a shot at selling out their stadium this weekend! This game is my main interest with UND on their bye week - Idaho probably has the most arrogant fan base, and I'd love to see them go down at Idaho State. Their fans are even worse than you guys! And they don't even have a reason for it.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 10:26 AM
Well, they have potential. I know the game should be interesting, at least, and ISU actually has a shot at selling out their stadium this weekend! This game is my main interest with UND on their bye week - Idaho probably has the most arrogant fan base, and I'd love to see them go down at Idaho State. Their fans are even worse than you guys! And they don't even have a reason for it.There is no way they are worse than we are, impossible, I would put our fans up against 'Bama on this one, We want 'Bama.

Preferred Walk-On
October 2nd, 2018, 10:28 AM
Idaho vs Idaho State is going to be very interesting! ISU gets to play the big bad FBS team (lol) at their house for the first time in a long time... and Idaho State could actually have some potential to sneak into the playoffs. Holt Arena will be rockin!

Briefly contemplated this one because of the intrastate matchup, the fact that Idaho State is getting at least some recognition, and that Idaho has returned to the FCS; however, I just could not pull the trigger on it. Should be a fun game though, and we'll see if Idaho State can continue to impress.

katss07
October 2nd, 2018, 03:49 PM
Where is Butler at Drake? Come on! Who doesn’t love PFL action. It will help sort out that conference a bit,although they are all chasing San Diego.

Elon at JMU is an easy choice.

hoidOfYolen
October 2nd, 2018, 03:56 PM
Where is Butler at Drake? Come on! Who doesn’t love PFL action. It will help sort out that conference a bit,although they are all chasing San Diego.

It's the easy choice but I'm not sure it's the right one. I'm super psyched for this game already, but I still think the Stony Brook - Towson game will be more telling about the CAA in general. We know where JMU will stand at the end of the year. And I think we know that, as of now, Elon will be a playoff team. Past that, the only thing about this game that's GOTW worthy is whether Elon can give JMU a run for their money, the answer to which is probably not. Meanwhile, the Towson - SB game is going to be a great battle of styles: Passing for Towson against Running for Stony Brook, not to mention how evenly matched these teams ought to be. My GOTW is Towson - SB, because it might have playoff implications down the road.

Silenoz
October 2nd, 2018, 04:11 PM

I know that I will easily choose JMU to win by at least a couple of scores

katss07
October 2nd, 2018, 04:16 PM
Well if we are selecting a GOTW by which game will have the most impact on the playoff and conference picture, Elon at JMU is the GOTW. Regardless of the outcome.

Dukie95
October 3rd, 2018, 07:15 AM
Stony Brook/Towson...to help settle who the second best in CAA is.

They each play JMU later in the year, so this is potentially a seed battle.

Bisonator
October 3rd, 2018, 08:08 AM
Well if we are selecting a GOTW by which game will have the most impact on the playoff and conference picture, Elon at JMU is the GOTW. Regardless of the outcome.
Not really. Why would that game have much of any impact on the playoff and conference picture? We all know JMU is going to win the CAA. The SB/Towson game will be much more impactful IMO.

phoenix3
October 3rd, 2018, 10:30 AM
It's the easy choice but I'm not sure it's the right one. I'm super psyched for this game already, but I still think the Stony Brook - Towson game will be more telling about the CAA in general. We know where JMU will stand at the end of the year. And I think we know that, as of now, Elon will be a playoff team. Past that, the only thing about this game that's GOTW worthy is whether Elon can give JMU a run for their money, the answer to which is probably not. Meanwhile, the Towson - SB game is going to be a great battle of styles: Passing for Towson against Running for Stony Brook, not to mention how evenly matched these teams ought to be. My GOTW is Towson - SB, because it might have playoff implications down the road.
I pretty much agree with this assessment. I love my Phoenix and I'm looking forward to the Elon/JMU game, but the SB/Towson game will likely be much more interesting.

BisonTru
October 3rd, 2018, 07:40 PM
Wofford/Chatty is most likely going to decide the SoCon with the winner potentially looking at a seed and the auto. Elon and/or UNI pulling down one of the big two would be intriguing but both are unlikely. The rest are a pretty good team vs a pretty good team, but I don't see them really as a season changer the way the SoCon matchup is.

Lots of good games tho.

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Although Elon/JMU features higher ranked teams, I honestly believe that SB/Towson will be a more entertaining game to a casual fan. This is a battle of "who's a legit contender in this league OTHER than JMU". Winner is looking like the CAA's #2 team, while the loser falls to 4-6 range.

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Yep I think this is going to be the best game.

Don't think Elon will be much of a challenge for JMU.

Yep I agree with both. I'm not being a homer on this pick. It may be 2 vs 8, but I promise the SB/TU game will be far more entertaining and back and forth. JMU will probably beat Elon convincingly as we bring our A game like we have all season.

Daytripper
October 4th, 2018, 01:30 PM
I'm interested in seeing if Missouri State keeps their dream season going against SD.

katss07
October 4th, 2018, 01:37 PM
I'm interested in seeing if Missouri State keeps their dream season going against SD.
Me too. Their quarterback is going to need to step it up. He can only preform like crap for so long. If he turns the ball over like he has been against the Coyotes they’re not going to win.

On the flip side, the SD defense has to preform well to win this game.

Reign of Terrier
October 4th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Wofford/Chatty is most likely going to decide the SoCon with the winner potentially looking at a seed and the auto. Elon and/or UNI pulling down one of the big two would be intriguing but both are unlikely. The rest are a pretty good team vs a pretty good team, but I don't see them really as a season changer the way the SoCon matchup is.

Lots of good games tho.

We don't really know enough about Chattanooga (or any Socon team not named Wofford) to say that for certain

hoidOfYolen
October 4th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Yep I agree with both. I'm not being a homer on this pick. It may be 2 vs 8, but I promise the SB/TU game will be far more entertaining and back and forth. JMU will probably beat Elon convincingly as we bring our A game like we have all season.

You could bring your A game and still not crush us. If we bring our A game too, this could be a game within 2 scores. We could prove ourselves #2 in the CAA by running close with the Dukes this weekend.

iBOsbu
October 4th, 2018, 05:42 PM
SBU at Towson. For all the reasons already mentioned by others. Should be a cracker of a contest

RootinFerDukes
October 4th, 2018, 06:18 PM
You could bring your A game and still not crush us. If we bring our A game too, this could be a game within 2 scores. We could prove ourselves #2 in the CAA by running close with the Dukes this weekend.

If we bring our A game, it’ll be a 2-3 TD win at minimum. If it’s closer than that, we were beating ourselves.

nodak651
October 5th, 2018, 12:41 PM

I base my vote on hype. Which game will have the players and fans most pumped up, in combination with the potential for a close game. Playoff implications are also important. I like the Idaho/Idaho State game because we aren't really sure how good either team is, yet, and ISU has a decent chance of being a playoff contender, and Idaho just dropped down from FBS. Idaho State is going to have a sellout for the first time in 30 years!

Preferred Walk-On
October 6th, 2018, 09:06 AM
How 'bout that Big Green of Dartmouth! (in a Jimmy Johnson yell)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katss07
October 6th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Quality Post!

Preferred Walk-On
October 6th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think the Elon @ JMU game has been validated as GOTW. Congratulations to Elon, and to JMU, there is not a doubt in my mind that you will be a force to reckon with for the remainder of the season and postseason. Best of luck going forward to both teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phoenix3
October 6th, 2018, 10:10 PM
I pretty much agree with this assessment. I love my Phoenix and I'm looking forward to the Elon/JMU game, but the SB/Towson game will likely be much more interesting.
I stand corrected.

Catbooster
October 6th, 2018, 11:12 PM
I stand corrected.
And I'll bet you're ok with that.

phoenix3
October 6th, 2018, 11:24 PM
And I'll bet you're ok with that.
xnodx