PDA

View Full Version : Villanova @ Maine

Gangtackle11
September 30th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Villanova (3-2; 0-2) @ Maine (2-2; 1-0)
3:30pm start

Pretenders or Contenders?

Both own FBS wins. Both played uninspired football recently. Both may not have their starting QB.

The loser of this game will be looking up at several CAA teams vying for FCS playoff spots.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 06:44 PM
uninspired football is right for Maine, is was very evident in the first half yesterday at the Yale Bowl

Yale played like they wanted it, very focused yesterday and I liked the Yale QB

you can pass on Maine GT

last year Delaware caught a break I think because the game was in Portland, not as far up in Steven King territory as Orono......

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 1st, 2018, 09:32 AM
Villanova (3-2; 0-2) @ Maine (2-2; 1-0)
3:30pm start

Pretenders or Contenders?

Both own FBS wins. Both played uninspired football recently. Both may not have their starting QB.

The loser of this game will be looking up at several CAA teams vying for FCS playoff spots.

Made the trip to the Yale Bowl and not sure I have ever been that disappointed by a Maine team in awhile. The defense which had played so well the 3 previous games looked very vulnerable in the middle of the field. Very little pressure on the QB and when there was he seemed to be able to run away from it. The run defense was alright but not stellar like it had been. On offense the backup QB did not look good. I missed his play the previous week against C.Michigan but 19 of 29 and two picks would have been stellar compared to his constant underthrows in the middle of the field. If this team performs like it did against Yale I would take Nova in a heartbeat. Not sure if this is a lack of confidence with the backup or not. Will keep u posted on what I hear with the starter Ferguson being ready for this weekend as his status last week was day to day.

Gangtackle11
October 1st, 2018, 01:32 PM
Not sure if our QB (Zach Bednarczyk) will play or not at this time.

Must win for Nova. JMU is lurking in the wings.

This team faked some out with win at Temple. I thought they were 7-4 type team all along. That might be the best they are although after JMU there is a chance to run the rest of the CAA table if healthy.

I see JMU, Elon, & SB/Towson winner getting the inside track on bids. Delaware, Rhody, SB/Towson loser, Nova, & Maine will battle for the last spot or 2 (unlikely). xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 2nd, 2018, 05:46 AM
Interesting line:

Villanova -3 (o/u 43)

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 2nd, 2018, 07:17 AM
Interesting line:

Villanova -3 (o/u 43)

Seems to me this line will be influenced by whoever has their starting QB, if either. Here is article on Maine injuries.
Injuries leave UMaine football coaching staff searching for answers
https://bdn-data.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2018/10/13931801_H23807868-720x445.jpgCourtesy of UMaine Athletics
University of Maine quarterback Isaiah Robinson runs for a gain against Central Michigan in Mount Pleasant, Mich., on Sept. 22, 2018.

By Larry Mahoney (https://bangordailynews.com/author/larry-mahoney/), BDN Staff • October 2, 2018 1:00 amThe (http://bangordailynews.com/2018/09/29/sports/umaine-sports/yale-handles-injury-plagued-umaine-football-team/) University of Maine’s 35-14 loss to Yale University on Saturday not only left UMaine head (http://bangordailynews.com/2018/09/29/sports/umaine-sports/yale-handles-injury-plagued-umaine-football-team/)coach and his staff searching for answers, but also left them looking for personnel.
Several players sustained several injuries, expanding the injury list to seven. Sophomore quarterback Chris Ferguson did not play with a shoulder injury.
UMaine (2-2), ranked No. 25 in the Football Championship Subdivision, must retool the lineup as it prepares for Saturday’s 3:30 p.m. Colonial Athletic Association game against No. 19 Villanova (3-2) at Alfond Stadium.
The Black Bears are 1-0 in the CAA while No. 19 Villanova is 0-2.
The injury list includes cornerbacks Manny Patterson and Jordan Swann, offensive tackle Gunnar Docos, offensive guard Liam Dobson, defensive tackle Alejandro Oregon and running back Ramon Jefferson.
Harasymiak said he expects some of them to return for the Villanova game.
Redshirt freshman quarterback Isaiah Robinson struggled in his first collegiate start, completing 10 of 27 passes for 179 yards. He did throw two TD passes.
“Isaiah didn’t play as well as we thought he was going to. (http://bangordailynews.com/2018/09/25/sports/umaine-sports/umaine-redshirt-freshman-quarterback-prepping-for-yale-game/) He did play a lot better in the second half. But he missed a lot of throws. Guys were open and he didn’t deliver the ball to them,” Harasymiak said.
Robinson also took several hits, and the Black Bears must tighten up their pass protection.
The status of Ferguson, who injured his throwing shoulder in the first quarter of the 17-5 loss at Central Michigan two Saturdays ago, is not known.
“We’re going to try to get him moving this week and get him to do some stuff,” Harasymiak said. “The biggest thing is for him to get his strength back in his shoulder, and you have to make sure he is healthy enough to survive a game.”
Ferguson has completed 35 of 63 passes for 405 yards in five touchdowns. He has been intercepted once.
Robinson is 26-for-59 for 341 yards and two TDs to go with two interceptions.
The running game also has stalled the past two games, averaging only 2.5 yards per carry. Jefferson, UMaine’s big-play threat out of the backfield, was averaging 5.5 yards per carry.
If he can’t play, it will mean more carries for hard-running North Yarmouth junior Joe Fitzpatrick, the team’s leading rusher with 243 yards on 61 carries (4 ypc).

True freshman Daejuan Sanders, who carried the ball three times for 15 yards against Yale, will be in line to get more reps as the backup.
An inexperienced line has been further tested by injuries.
“We’re going to have to patch it up and get our five best [available] offensive linemen out there,” Harasymiak said. “We’re going to have to do a real good job coaching them and getting the techniques down.”
The defense struggled against Yale as quarterback Kurt Rawlings completed 22 of 36 passes for 306 yards and three touchdowns.
“They were beating us in one-on-ones. Our coverage is going to have to be much better. Their quarterback played really well, and they did a good job protecting him” Harasymiak said.
UMaine still ranks second in the country and first in the CAA in rushing defense, allowing 53 yards per game. In total defense the Black Bears rank eighth and second respectively, at 267.5 ypg.
They are second in the country and first in the league in sacks per game (4.5).
Follow BDN Maine Sports on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bdnhssports/) for the latest in Maine high school and college sports.

Gangtackle11
October 2nd, 2018, 07:22 AM
I like your coach. Listen to him on the CAA coaches calls each Monday. He doesnt make excuses about injuries.

I suspect there may be a little “cat & mouse” or is it “cat & moose” ? when talking about Ferguson. I fully expect to see Ferguson on Saturday. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2018, 07:27 AM
..........DUH....."DUCT TAPE BOWL"...............BRAWK!

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 2nd, 2018, 09:14 AM
I like your coach. Listen to him on the CAA coaches calls each Monday. He doesnt make excuses about injuries.

I suspect there may be a little “cat & mouse” or is it “cat & moose” ? when talking about Ferguson. I fully expect to see Ferguson on Saturday. xpeacex

Wouldn't it be " Cat and Black Bear" lolxdrunkyx

Man, I hope you are right on Ferguson. Our backup was off on all passes in the middle of the field.
How did your backup perform against Stony B?

Gangtackle11
October 2nd, 2018, 12:45 PM
He started out a little shaky, but he did hit 5/6 passes and a late TD to get Nova to 29-27. We tried a crazy 2-Point formation & it failed for the tie.

You may remember that he was the starter in last year’s game at our place vs. Maine. That game went our way (31-0) & he played well. Managed the game. That’s what I expect him to do this weekend if called upon.

Nova needs a win badly. A loss and it will probably get ugly with JMU up next. xpeacex

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 2nd, 2018, 02:44 PM
He started out a little shaky, but he did hit 5/6 passes and a late TD to get Nova to 29-27. We tried a crazy 2-Point formation & it failed for the tie.

You may remember that he was the starter in last year’s game at our place vs. Maine. That game went our way (31-0) & he played well. Managed the game. That’s what I expect him to do this weekend if called upon.

Nova needs a win badly. A loss and it will probably get ugly with JMU up next. xpeacex

Ugh, last years game I was hoping that was wiped from my memory bank. You guys are up 7-0 we drive to the one and fumble and you return it 99 yds and our kids folded like a cheap suit. Coach H still talks about that game how we gave up after that play where as we went down 21-0 to WKU and came back. This was supposed to be a different team and then the Yale debacle. You summed it up correctly, Contenders or Pretenders. Guess we find out Saturday. Sounds like perfect weather, sunny and 60F and foliage here should be peak.xthumbsupx

FCSbuff319
October 2nd, 2018, 06:45 PM
Interesting line:

Villanova -3 (o/u 43)

The over-under makes sense. This game might be a 17-14 battle!

Gangtackle11
October 4th, 2018, 04:43 AM
Update on Villanova QB Zach Bednarczyk:

Mark Ferrante: He got hurt in the first quarter, and then he played really at a high level for the rest of the half. He hurt his shoulder and the worst thing that happened was half time. When you’re playing the adrenaline is pumping, you don’t stiffen up, you stay loose and you just go with the flow even though you feel it; then you go in and have a 20 minutes rest, you stiffen up. However he’s OK. He’s not 100%. He feels a lot better today than he did yesterday; he felt a lot better yesterday than he did on Sunday; the X-Rays have been taken, the MRI’s have been done, there’s no structural damage. So that’s all positive. Now it’s just a matter of how is he going to feel tomorrow and then ultimately how is he going to feel between now and Saturday. We feel pretty good about Zach being there but he’s a little bit day-by-day right now. Bell is not ready yet. He saw the doctor today and I know that he’s getting fit for a brace so hopefully he’ll be able to play in the not-so distant future but won’t be against Maine.

Gangtackle11
October 4th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Maine game notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/umaine.sidearmsports.com/documents/2018/10/2/GM5_Villanova.pdf

CenMEBlackBearFan
October 4th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Article from the Bangor Daily News about the game and Jaquan Blair.

Dependable UMaine wide receiver determined to keep his spot
https://bdn-data.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2018/10/14018341_H23840926-720x445.jpg[FONT=&quot]Courtesy of Peter Buehner
Jaquan Blair (left) of the University of Maine, runs into the end zone to complete a touchdown pass during the 2018 season opener against New Hampshire. The dependable senior wide receiver has not missed a practice in four seasons.

By Larry Mahoney (https://bangordailynews.com/author/larry-mahoney/), BDN Staff • October 4, 2018 1:00 amUniversity of Maine wide receiver Jaquan Blair has a unique distinction.
Despite playing a physical sport that leaves players battered, bruised and injured, he has never missed a day of practice in his four seasons.
“Even if I don’t want to practice, I know there’s someone who wants my spot and I could lose it in one day. So I want to make sure I don’t give someone an opportunity to take something from me that I’ve earned,” Blair explained.
The Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, native is also ensuring his playing time with his performances on game day.
Blair is tied for second on the team with 11 receptions through four games, one behind senior Micah Wright. He leads the team with 18 yards per catch, which ranks fifth in the Colonial Athletic Association among players who have caught at least 10 passes.

[COLOR=#00331C]SPONSORED CONTENT
FIND OUR BEST OFFERS (http://bangordailynews.com/sponsored/?prx_t=kBYEAFgkrAlrcMA&ntv_fr)

By Spectrum

He has caught two touchdown passes including a one-handed, 63-yard gem in last Saturday’s 35-14 loss at Yale. (http://bangordailynews.com/2018/09/29/sports/umaine-sports/yale-handles-injury-plagued-umaine-football-team/)
“He has some of the best ball skills of any wideout I’ve been around,” UMaine offensive coordinator Nick Charlton said. “If you throw the ball up, he’ll make the play.”
The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Blair said he helped make up for any deficiency in speed by making sure he learned to secure the ball.
“It’s second nature. If the ball is in the air, it’s mine,” Blair said.
Head coach Joe Harasymiak said Blair exemplifies a UMaine football player.

Gangtackle11
October 4th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Villanova Game Notes:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/villanova.com/documents/2018/10/4/6_Maine.pdf

Gangtackle11
October 6th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Looks like both QBs are game time decisions.