PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 5 2018

superman7515
September 29th, 2018, 11:20 PM
Sorry for the delay, got a late car accident call, but all caught up now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1spagP6NvYQx2U_QIRTsevH5tfk-uY8QFtZncm_UbknA/edit?usp=sharing

Green = Reached 7 D1 wins
Yellow* = Must win out to reach 7 D1 wins
Red = Can not reach 7 D1 wins

* - The Citadel has a game scheduled for the same time as the playoffs, so although their schedule says they can make 8 D1 wins, they won't play that last game unless they miss the playoffs

Yes, exceptions have been made a few times recently, but generally that has been the threshold we have all looked at.

One other note, while Kennesaw State has been getting a ton of love, it's worth mentioning that East Tennessee State is quietly off to a good start. They have the same record as KSU, but against a slightly tougher schedule (ETSU was 91 out of 125 coming into today, KSU was 105 out of 125), but that will get wider this week as ETSU has a Top 25 win over Chattanooga while KSU sent Samford to 1-4.

Not advocating for ETSU, just thought they were worth mentioning since they won't appear on the spreadsheet.

TheKingpin28
September 29th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Sorry for the delay, got a late car accident call, but all caught up now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1spagP6NvYQx2U_QIRTsevH5tfk-uY8QFtZncm_UbknA/edit?usp=sharing

Green = Reached 7 D1 wins
Yellow* = Must win out to reach 7 D1 wins
Red = Can not reach 7 D1 wins

* - The Citadel has a game scheduled for the same time as the playoffs, so although their schedule says they can make 8 D1 wins, they won't play that last game unless they miss the playoffs

Yes, exceptions have been made a few times recently, but generally that has been the threshold we have all looked at.

One other note, while Kennesaw State has been getting a ton of love, it's worth mentioning that East Tennessee State is quietly off to a good start. They have the same record as KSU, but against a slightly tougher schedule (ETSU was 91 out of 125 coming into today, KSU was 105 out of 125), but that will get wider this week as ETSU has a Top 25 win over Chattanooga while KSU sent Samford to 1-4.

Not advocating for ETSU, just thought they were worth mentioning since they won't appear on the spreadsheet.

As always, thank you for this!

Daytripper
September 30th, 2018, 12:06 AM
When I was jotting down my notes tonight, I underlined ETSU.

Daytripper
September 30th, 2018, 01:03 AM
20 through 40 is a f***ing crapshoot this week.

superman7515
September 30th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Everything has been updated and is current.

JSUSoutherner
September 30th, 2018, 08:37 AM
20 through 40 is a f***ing crapshoot this week.
I think you mean 3 through 40.

This year has been a total football abortion.

dbackjon
September 30th, 2018, 08:57 AM
You mean 4-100

SDSU showed to me enough yesterday to keep them at three

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I think you mean 3 through 40.

This year has been a total football abortion.

That 1-3 game was played just like you expect a 1-3 game....Just like last year's 1-2 game...Could have gone either way..

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 09:16 AM
You mean 4-100

SDSU showed to me enough yesterday to keep them at three

agree, South Dakota State is trying every trick in the Book to Move into Bernie's Upper East side Penthouse (next to Ponzi Park) where the Bison and JMU currently reside

but the Landlord states that 2 is Company and 3 is a crowd

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 09:17 AM
That 1-3 game was played just like you expect a 1-3 game....Just like last year's 1-2 game...Could have gone either way..
I'm with JSU .. he's saying 1 thru 3 is now very firm. I think SDSU playing NDSU close on road makes them a top 3 lock.

SDSU has reloaded once again .. since 2012, they have done it as well as any program not named NDSU.

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 09:19 AM
I'm with JSU .. he's saying 1 thru 3 is very firm. I think SDSU playing NDSU close on road makes them a top 3 lock.

SDSU has reloaded once again .. since 2012, they have done it as well as any program not named NDSU.

No, JSU is saying #3 is a crapshoot.

Daytripper
September 30th, 2018, 09:34 AM
I'm with JSU .. he's saying 1 thru 3 is now very firm. I think SDSU playing NDSU close on road makes them a top 3 lock.

SDSU isn't moving in my poll...

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 09:41 AM
No, JSU is saying #3 is a crapshoot.

woops ... read too fast. meant to agree with dbackjon's reply to JSU ... damn cell phone screen !!!!!

Top 3 is lock, rest is wide open.

POD Knows
September 30th, 2018, 09:46 AM
When I was jotting down my notes tonight, I underlined ETSU.LOL, yea, me too. OMG

POD Knows
September 30th, 2018, 09:47 AM
woops ... read too fast. meant to agree with dbackjon's reply to JSU ... damn cell phone screen !!!!!

Top 3 is lock, rest is wide open.Bravo

POD Knows
September 30th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Christ, I drank the freaking kool-aid on Maine, what the hell do you do with those guys now.

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Bravo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C61TRoMYjg

jmu007
September 30th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority based upon the posts I've read so far today, but I dropped SDSU (only slightly). I get that they played NDSU close, but they have nothing to go on past that. 2 warmup wins and a cancelled FBS game. They have plenty of opportunities to jump back to #3 or higher, but I'm not seeing the merit in holding them at 3 for a close loss even if it was to NDSU with worthy teams in my opinion that won their games.

I guess put me in the 6 - 40 is a crapshoot category.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Christ, I drank the freaking kool-aid on Maine, what the hell do you do with those guys now.

They've had a tough schedule
UNH - legit rivalry game and the Wildcats had their all-CAA QB for nearly a half
WKU - FBS win
CMU - FBS competitve loss
@ Yale - 9-1 last year IL preseason favorite

Villanova at Maine next week is basically an early season elimination game in the CAA. Both are hanging onto the Top 25 right now imo. One will likely be gone for good after next week.

JMUNJ08
September 30th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority based upon the posts I've read so far today, but I dropped SDSU (only slightly). I get that they played NDSU close, but they have nothing to go on past that. 2 warmup wins and a cancelled FBS game. They have plenty of opportunities to jump back to #3 or higher, but I'm not seeing the merit in holding them at 3 based on just playing NDSU close.

My 3-5 has been a merry go round based on current week performances. So 1 team lost this week to move them back but its really 3a/ 3b/ 3c in my mind. After that, I see a bunch of not deserving but WTF else teams 6-10...

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority based upon the posts I've read so far today, but I dropped SDSU (only slightly). I get that they played NDSU close, but they have nothing to go on past that. 2 warmup wins and a cancelled FBS game. They have plenty of opportunities to jump back to #3 or higher, but I'm not seeing the merit in holding them at 3 based on just playing NDSU close.

Who, pray tell, do you have worthy of #3?

jmu007
September 30th, 2018, 10:03 AM
I consider EWU worthy of #3.

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Bravo

I got one of these .. what's your excuse ??

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/092/647/b8c.jpg (https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1092647-what-is-this-a-center-for-ants)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2018, 10:05 AM
I moved Eastern into the 3 spot in my poll this week.

I did the same. I thought going into Bozeman and taking care of business against a Top 25 Bobcat team in a key BSC game was impressive. The Eagles, overall, have been really good to start the year. My 3-4-5 remained the same but the order changed.

jmu007
September 30th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I did the same. I thought going into Bozeman and taking care of business against a Top 25 Bobcat team in a key BSC game was impressive. The Eagles, overall, have been really good to start the year. My 3-4-5 remained the same but the order changed.

Same here on the road win. That was my logic as well.

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Looks like I'm in the minority based upon the posts I've read so far today, but I dropped SDSU (only slightly). I get that they played NDSU close, but they have nothing to go on past that. 2 warmup wins and a cancelled FBS game. They have plenty of opportunities to jump back to #3 or higher, but I'm not seeing the merit in holding them at 3 for a close loss even if it was to NDSU with worthy teams in my opinion that won their games.

Your argument might make a little sense, had SDSU lost a close one to NDSU at home ... I would still disagree, but would understand logic. But to go on road an take a lead into Q4 and lose by just 4 to a consensus #1 ... makes no sense to think that would drop a team at all. In fact, if they were a #4, that game result should move them up to a firm #3. Stats were as even as the score was as well.

JMUNJ08
September 30th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Your argument might make a little sense, had SDSU lost a close one to NDSU at home ... I would still disagree, but would understand logic. But to go on road an take a lead into Q4 and lose by just 4 to a consensus #1 ... makes no sense to think that would drop a team at all. In fact, if they were a #4, that game result should move them up to a firm #3. Stats were as even as the score was as well.

They still lost right? And we are max 5 games into the season so less than 50% of the games? I was impressed and they have solidified their position in the top5 and any further losses probably will not get a major drop (unless horrific). I need more from them to keep them/ move up to 3 with this really good loss.

IBleedYellow
September 30th, 2018, 10:21 AM
They still lost right? And we are max 5 games into the season so less than 50% of the games? I was impressed and they have solidified their position in the top5 and any further losses probably will not get a major drop (unless horrific). I need more from them to keep them/ move up to 3 with this really good loss.They lost because there always has to be a loser.

Those two teams are perfectly balanced and damn good teams. This is a 100 game series goes 50/50 IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 10:25 AM
They still lost right? And we are max 5 games into the season so less than 50% of the games? I was impressed and they have solidified their position in the top5 and any further losses probably will not get a major drop (unless horrific). I need more from them to keep them/ move up to 3 with this really good loss.
This is same argument we had over NC A&T ... SOS for each opponent, score margins combined with stat margins, home/away .... it all matters and should be considered. You don't look at all losses (or wins) equally.

SDSU proved they belong in top 2 discussion .. which therefore makes it a top 3 discussion.

kalm
September 30th, 2018, 10:26 AM

1) MSU was only a warm up game because they were down a starting QB but that shouldn't have meant a blow-out. Keep in mind, MSU beat what may end up being a playoff team in WIU who beat Montana - which will be approaching the top 10 this week and looks like a playoff team as well.

2) Most ot the CAA typically plays two "warm up" games OOC every season against the NEC, MEAC, Patriot, Ivy. NDSU has also scheduled like that several times.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2018, 10:29 AM
They lost because there always has to be a loser.

Those two teams are perfectly balanced and damn good teams. This is a 100 game series goes 50/50 IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Splitting hairs imo. NDSU and JMU are the top 2 then there's maybe 4 or 5 other teams that could legitimately beat the Bison and Dukes if the stars align. SDSU has beaten NDSU the last two years. They have legit confidence going up against fellow conference mate NDSU. I expected a close game yesterday. I had SDSU 5 and moved them up to 4. I still think KSU is a great wildcard.

The biggest thing to come out of yesterday? NDSU is one step closer to wrapping up a top 2 seed. Can the 'Jacks or anyone else go in there and win come playoff time? Outside of JMU, there's been a few moral victories and several blowouts...

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I moved Eastern into the 3 spot in my poll this week.

45-14 vs 34-17...Really? How does that make EWU better? By transitive property, SDSU beats EWU by 14.

jmu007
September 30th, 2018, 10:36 AM
45-14 vs 34-17...Really? How does that make EWU better? By transitive property, SDSU beats EWU by 14.

EWU didn't lose an FCS game yesterday. SDSU did. Pretty straight forward. IMO, EWU has accomplished more given a very small amount of data 5 weeks into the season. This entire debate is really splitting hairs, I was just surprised at the amount of people willing to discount a loss with so little else to go on.

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 10:39 AM
EWU didn't lose an FCS game yesterday. SDSU did. Pretty straight forward. IMO, EWU has accomplished more given a very small amount of data 5 weeks into the season. This entire debate is really splitting hairs, I was just surprised at the amount of people willing to discount a loss with so little else to go on.

They squeak one out against NAU, a team that gets blown out by misery state, and loses to Idaho State?

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 10:41 AM

nothing is straight forward in FCS this year.... with the exception of who's on the Upper East Side.... where crooked Hedge Funds are at work

RabidRabbit
September 30th, 2018, 10:42 AM
First loss to a FCS team, with Yale being a relative unknown, imho Maine drops, but not out.

jmu007
September 30th, 2018, 10:42 AM
In the words Herm... "you play to win the game" xnodx

kalm
September 30th, 2018, 10:44 AM

I kept SDSU at 3 but given the SDSU got Montana State at home without the Bobcats starting QB who's basically all of their offense, I'd say the outcomes were fairly similar. I kept SDSU at 3 because that's yesterday's showing and the luster coming off of EWU's win over NAU now that they've lost to Missouri State and and Idaho State.

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2018, 10:44 AM
EWU didn't lose an FCS game yesterday. SDSU did. Pretty straight forward. IMO, EWU has accomplished more given a very small amount of data 5 weeks into the season.

Oh no, the Hero Sports experts are going to rescind your voting privileges now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2018, 10:45 AM
They squeak one out against NAU, a team that gets blown out by misery state, and loses to Idaho State?

EWU had two conference road wins in the first month of the season. That's pretty good on it's own. I tend to think the one against the Bobcats is impressive. The folks in Bozeman get riled up for the Eagles. MSU has a great shot at 8 wins and a playoff berth based on their schedule if the QB position can get settled.

The EWU-Weber State game in two weeks should have serious hype....

kalm
September 30th, 2018, 10:51 AM

If SDSU had lost to Oregon by the same score nobody would have moved them down. Oregon is ranked behind NDSU in Massey. Not all losses are the same.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 10:53 AM
considering that game was in the Fargo Dome and how good S Dakota State looked in a loss.... not dropping them

good point on Oregon Kalm, totally agree

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2018, 11:08 AM
First loss to a FCS team, with Yale being a relative unknown, imho Maine drops, but not out.

Villanova at Maine this week will likely eliminate the loser from the playoffs.

TennBison
September 30th, 2018, 11:15 AM
considering that game was in the Fargo Dome and how good S Dakota State looked in a loss.... not dropping them

good point on Oregon Kalm, totally agree
The fact that the game was in the Fargo Dome should be no factor. NDSU actually has a better record on the road than at home over the last 8 years. Better to say that they just looked pretty good against the Bison, but still failed to pull it off (no matter the location). And for sure, they should move down a couple spots, probably to 5-6. If NDSU would have lost, where would you place them? 3-4 probably? Why would SDSU not drop just as many? A loss is a loss and you get dropped for doing so, some a little more than others, but you still drop in a loss to a FCS team.

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 11:20 AM

read the bold underlined text above back real slow ... it is in opposition to your argument.

so if laws of physics would have allowed Montana St to play both EWU and SDSU simultaneously yesterday in some time warp machine .. only then would you put SDSU #3 ... if hthe obvious better result happened on same day this past saturday ??

Then put SDSU's lone quality loss against Massey # 41 NDSU by 4 on road up against EWU's 35 point loss to Massey #28 Wash St.

I like EWU in top 6, but you're trying to hard to rationalize dropping SDSU. Obviously all losses are not equal, and all games count ... not just the last one regardless of opponent strength. Again, this is same argument NC A&T fans were making .. ignore 98% of the other evidence .. just focus on this one data point I'm asking you to focus on.

RootinFerDukes
September 30th, 2018, 11:27 AM

Maine's starting QB was out for almost the entire CMU game and the entire Yale game. That's going to have a large offensive side impact on them.

RootinFerDukes
September 30th, 2018, 11:31 AM

My thoughts exactly. They wouldn't be making this argument for any team outside of the MVFC.

RootinFerDukes
September 30th, 2018, 11:39 AM
It's ridiculous how moral victories only exist on this message board for a MVFC team, but no one else. Give me a break. SDSU lost at the end of the day and EWU has a better SOS and better wins so far this season. It's that cut and dry.

RootinFerDukes
September 30th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Villanova at Maine this week will likely eliminate the loser from the playoffs.

Villanova even more so with JMU looming the following week.

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Idaho St.

If you think UND or SHSU should be voted into the poll, then you need to look at ISUo

ISUo: Won @UND, Won against NAU
UND: Won @SHSU, Lost against ISUo
SHSU: Lost against SHSU, Lost @NSU, Won against UCA

jmu007
September 30th, 2018, 11:48 AM
It's ridiculous how moral victories only exist on this message board for a MVFC team, but no one else. Give me a break. SDSU lost at the end of the day and EWU has a better SOS and better wins so far this season. It's that cut and dry.

FWIW, it would appear NDSU got invited to join the PAC-12 after the game. Sounds like a win for everyone else in FCS to me. xbeerchugx

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 11:48 AM

If you wish to be that dense, go ahead, but anyone who does not have a combo of NDSU, JMU, SDSU in the Top 3 has some serious explaining to do. It is these three teams and everyone else.

Grizalltheway
September 30th, 2018, 12:06 PM
If you wish to be that dense, go ahead, but anyone who does not have a combo of NDSU, JMU, SDSU in the Top 3 has some serious explaining to do. It is these three teams and everyone else.
He literally just explained his reasoning.xlolx

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 12:11 PM
He literally just explained his reasoning.xlolx

It was more of a rhetorical statement. xcoffeex

It is pure bias if you think there are 3 better teams than SDSU. Oh, and Massey and Sagarin agree with me.

jmufan999
September 30th, 2018, 12:11 PM
i thought we weren't supposed to talk about where we have teams ranked before the poll comes out? did that change?

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 12:22 PM
i thought we weren't supposed to talk about where we have teams ranked before the poll comes out? did that change?

As long as you specifically do not state: "I have NDSU #1" then you are fine. If you say, name 1 team better than NDSU, since I cannot, is fine.

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2018, 12:33 PM
we really missed out on a good one between Colgate and Furman.

Colgate hasn't allowed a touchdown in almost a month. I ranked them somewhere. I wish it could be higher, but we don't know enough. I couldn't justify not ranking a 4-0 team at this point.

Lorne_Malvo
September 30th, 2018, 12:43 PM
If SDSU had lost to Oregon by the same score nobody would have moved them down. Oregon is ranked behind NDSU in Massey. Not all losses are the same.

And NDSU/SDSU are like 2 brothers that fight every single day. They know each others moves all too well.
The gap between JMU and SDSU may be smaller than I think, but last years beat down makes that difference seem very large still. Its going to be a fun year of FCS football until the bracket bitching begins. I will probably be outraged regardless.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 12:46 PM

if JMU lost in Fargo yesterday but looked good doing it, JMU would still be my #2....

I think S Dak State would beat E Washington if they played next week....

superman7515
September 30th, 2018, 12:53 PM

This is fine:

If you say, name 1 team better than NDSU, since I cannot, is fine.

This is against the rules:

Colgate hasn't allowed a touchdown in almost a month. I ranked them at 25.

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2018, 12:54 PM
This is fine:

This is against the rules:

whoops my bad

BisonFan02
September 30th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I'm tempted to move SDSU up....

kalm
September 30th, 2018, 01:07 PM
if JMU lost in Fargo yesterday but looked good doing it, JMU would still be my #2....

I’d probably pick the Jacks too but it would be close. IF EWU’s receivers can limit drops this is a team similar to the 2016 offense with a defense that’s 10 points better and showing improvement each week.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 01:10 PM
I’d probably pick the Jacks too but it would be close. IF EWU’s receivers can limit drops this is a team similar to the 2016 offense with a defense that’s 10 points better and showing improvement each week.

I think it would be close on the Red velvet,

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Maine's starting QB was out for almost the entire CMU game and the entire Yale game. That's going to have a large offensive side impact on them.

I don't really care....you dance with who brung with you... Next man up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCPId-2CABs

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 01:13 PM
My thoughts exactly. They wouldn't be making this argument for any team outside of the MVFC.

yeesh, MVFC bias ? How about because no other conference has a team that won 6 of 7 Nattys (plus 2 other teams that made Natty games) and is a consensus #1 so far in year 8.

As if that alone isn't enough, then simply look at fact that they have a common opponent in Montana St in which SDSU beat them by 31 and EWUbeat them by just 17.

On what planet do those things not make a difference in this argument ??

edit ... you'll note JMU is starting to get same preferential treatment only their track record of dominance only goes back 3 years. And JMU lost much more to graduation than NDSU coming into season. So NDSU got preseason nod over JMU .. but JMU was lock at #2 in most people's eyes.

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 01:16 PM
yeesh, MVFC bias ? How about because no other conference has a team that won 6 of 7 Nattys (plus 2 other teams that made Natty games) and is a consensus #1 so far in year 8.

As if that alone isn't enough, then simply look at fact that they have a common opponent in Montana St in which SDSU beat them by 31 and EWUbeat them by just 17.

Planet Claire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOjAzI5zALo

Maybe he's living in his own private idaho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAWF1OaMD8U

katss07
September 30th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I can’t tell whos legit and who isn’t, especially when it comes to the MVFC. The Big Sky, SoCon and CAA have some head scratchers as well.

I want to think that Missouri State is here to stay, I mean its not like they have a crazy tough schedule. If they can go 3-1 in their next 4 games they could have a legit shot at playoffs. But they are a question mark. UNI, Western are both kind of the same way. I just don’t know if they get enough wins to make it into the postseason. Seems like the only sure things are SDSU and NDSU.

Also up in the air about Villinova, Towson, Maine, Chatty, ETSU and Montana St. This weeks poll really will be a crapshoot. I mean its really strictly opinion based. Getting into a stretch of big games for most of these teams soon so we will know where they stand in 2 weeks or so.

grizband
September 30th, 2018, 03:58 PM

edit ... you'll note JMU is starting to get same preferential treatment only their track record of dominance only goes back 3 years. And JMU lost much more to graduation than NDSU coming into season. So NDSU got preseason nod over JMU .. but JMU was lock at #2 in most people's eyes.
Montana State was without their starting QB, in week 2, in the road against SDSU. They played st home, eighth their starting QB, against EWU. Those things also matter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2018, 04:31 PM

I said this about 5 years ago or so but for some fans of other teams in that conference it is just that.
Moral
Victory
Football
Conference

Some MVFC fans do base all their worth on close losses and if you play the top team in the land close at home then it does get your attention but it still is a loss. It's a very acceptable and understandable loss. But let's stop treating them as victories.

Bisonwinagn
September 30th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Well we are only 1 game into the conference season so the rankings aren't that relevant at this point.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 30th, 2018, 04:51 PM
All I'm saying is this. ETSU needs to be getting some love from the voters. I TOLD YOU that Randy Sanders was going to do something at ETSU. If they're not in the Top 40 after this week, then there is something wrong.

katss07
September 30th, 2018, 05:01 PM
All I'm saying is this. ETSU needs to be getting some love from the voters. I TOLD YOU that Randy Sanders was going to do something at ETSU. If they're not in the Top 40 after this week, then there is something wrong.
I think ETSU is in a fine spot, but the SoCon is down. Not to mention they beat VMI by THREE POINTS. I don’t know how you can manage to beat them by less than 20 points! They flat out stink!

POD Knows
September 30th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I think ETSU is in a fine spot, but the SoCon is down. Not to mention they beat VMI by THREE POINTS. I don’t know how you can manage to beat them by less than 20 points! They flat out stink!This, I looked real hard at this guys for the top 25 but this is hard to get by,

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2018, 05:06 PM

My thought on it is this. If I have one team at #3 and they’re playing at #1 do I expect them to win there when I think the other team is obviously better by having them at #1? So am I going to punish the #3 team for performing as I would expect the #3 team to perform?

That being said, I don’t have any problem with people dropping SDSU. He’ll drop them a dozen spots if ya like, watching the first three games of them now I don’t think you’ll be able to justify that in a couple weeks. I fully am on board with the fact that there are no moral victories. As a Jacks fan, moral victories are rewarded with trips to Fargo in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semobison
September 30th, 2018, 05:12 PM
I said this about 5 years ago or so but for some fans of other teams in that conference it is just that.
Moral
Victory
Football
Conference

Some MVFC fans do base all their worth on close losses and if you play the top team in the land close at home then it does get your attention but it still is a loss. It's a very acceptable and understandable loss. But let's stop treating them as victories.

Is a close loss to a team rated just above them a reason to drop that team? The Jacks would beat EWU IMO, I'll leave them where I had them.

World
September 30th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Meanwhile, of the top 40 only 3 undefeated teams left:

1. North Dakota State
26. Colgate
30. Princeton

BisonFan02
September 30th, 2018, 05:17 PM

1. North Dakota State
26. Colgate
30. Princeton

Go ahead and send those two to Fargo. xlolx

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 05:18 PM
My thought on it is this. If I have one team at #3 and they’re playing at #1 do I expect them to win there when I think the other team is obviously better by having them at #1? So am I going to punish the #3 team for performing as I would expect the #3 team to perform?

That being said, I don’t have any problem with people dropping SDSU. He’ll drop them a dozen spots if ya like, watching the first three games of them now I don’t think you’ll be able to justify that in a couple weeks. I fully am on board with the fact that there are no moral victories. As a Jacks fan, moral victories are rewarded with trips to Fargo in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I'll take that avatar. I gave you a choice and it works.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 05:19 PM

1. North Dakota State
26. Colgate
30. Princeton

Princeton is very high in the 2 computer polls on massey and sheridan

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 05:19 PM

1. North Dakota State
26. Colgate
30. Princeton

Let me know when either of those teams plays a team with a pulse.

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I'll take that avatar. I gave you a choice and it works.

You won the bet, it’s your choice. I just picked one and added some flair to it xlolx

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 05:21 PM
You won the bet, it’s your choice. I just picked one and added some flair to it xlolx

With an anti-NDSU bias. xnodx You drew over the holiness known as Thundar.

Thumper 76
September 30th, 2018, 05:36 PM
With an anti-NDSU bias. xnodx You drew over the holiness known as Thundar.

Next to*

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Next to*

It's in HIS presence. :D

I'm just glad you get to look at this for awhile.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Is a close loss to a team rated just above them a reason to drop that team? The Jacks would beat EWU IMO, I'll leave them where I had them.

No, not necessarily. I am commenting on how some MVFC fans seen to think anything NDSU accomplishes as their accomplishments...or near losses being some great thing for their record. I do not know, or do not think that SDSU would beat EWU...I'm up in the air on that one at this time. I think both are very, very good teams and with one or two things going their way in the right game and they both could be in Frisco.

BisonFan02
September 30th, 2018, 05:45 PM
No, not necessarily. I am commenting on how some MVFC fans seen to think anything NDSU accomplishes as their accomplishments...or near losses being some great thing for their record. I do not know, or do not think that SDSU would beat EWU...I'm up in the air on that one at this time. I think both are very, very good teams and with one or two things going their way in the right game and they both could be in Frisco.

Right now, there are 2 teams in the FCS that I think NDSU goes 5-5 or 6-4 in 10 games playing against....and that's JMU and SDSU. Then its a big gap.....IMHO

Schism55
September 30th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Welp, my poll is done and submitted.
I feel like I need a silkwood shower xconfusedx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 30th, 2018, 05:51 PM
I think ETSU is in a fine spot, but the SoCon is down. Not to mention they beat VMI by THREE POINTS. I don’t know how you can manage to beat them by less than 20 points! They flat out stink!

Well, we beat Chattanooga yesterday by the same margin who, last time I looked, was ranked in the Top 25. Plus we had a recent change in starting QB that had something to do with this as well.

McCowboys
September 30th, 2018, 05:57 PM
I was filling out my poll on the submission site and got to the part of the most significant win/loss -- and realized that I had completely left out the most significant loss team from my poll, even though I had them ranked just out of the Top 10 still. Had to fit them back in and move everyone else down. I had already spent way too much time on the teams I would rank 20-25, and now had to drop one of them out. I have submitted now FWIW.

dbackjon
September 30th, 2018, 06:00 PM
we really missed out on a good one between Colgate and Furman.

Colgate hasn't allowed a touchdown in almost a month. I ranked them somewhere. I wish it could be higher, but we don't know enough. I couldn't justify not ranking a 4-0 team at this point.
I have had Colgate in for a couple weeks

BEAR
September 30th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Note to voters. UCA QB Breylin Smith suffered a broken fibula and will likely miss the rest of the season. Polls won't matter now. Time to tailgate! Big loss for the Bears and likely puts them out of playoff possibility.

McCowboys
September 30th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Note to voters. UCA QB Breylin Smith suffered a broken fibula and will likely miss the rest of the season. Polls won't matter now. Time to tailgate! Big loss for the Bears and likely puts them out of playoff possibility.

How awful for that young man! What year is he? Sophomore? Junior?

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 06:16 PM

what bad news Bear, I watched alot of the game yesterday and saw him down while they were tending to his lower leg, as soon as the backup came in and tried to catch a snap I knew it was over...... that hurts

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2018, 06:22 PM
So..if anybody plays NDSU close but loses, they should stay where they are in the polls?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Right now, there are 2 teams in the FCS that I think NDSU goes 5-5 or 6-4 in 10 games playing against....and that's JMU and SDSU. Then its a big gap.....IMHO

Opinions vary for sure. That isn't mine. I think NDSU goes 7-3 is basically and that makes me think it's more of a coin flip with SDSU but in another game or two I may not be wishy washy on the two teams. I just think they are close and griping about EWU being one spot over them on a handful of ballots is not unreasonable.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2018, 06:36 PM
I was filling out my poll on the submission site and got to the part of the most significant win/loss -- and realized that I had completely left out the most significant loss team from my poll, even though I had them ranked just out of the Top 10 still. Had to fit them back in and move everyone else down. I had already spent way too much time on the teams I would rank 20-25, and now had to drop one of them out. I have submitted now FWIW.
Don't ever hit the "back" button and resubmit unless I ask you to so please. If yo did not do that then I'm just putting it out there for others at this point.

I caught your error and sent an email, which is the way you should always handle any error you catch as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 30th, 2018, 06:43 PM
So..if anybody plays NDSU close but loses, they should stay where they are in the polls?

Depends on the team and body of work. Now it is really early in the season so far so SDSU could still prove us wrong or right. But the "eye test" tells me that SDSU is a top team in the FCS right now. Their defense is better this year significantly and their offense really hasn't missed a beat, in fact, probably a better offense with the running game being pretty dynamic also.

Now next year when UND gets pounded in Fargo, they will drop like a stone.....xlolx....if they are ranked, which they probably wont be.

semobison
September 30th, 2018, 06:45 PM
My vote is in.xconfusedx It was rough, I had 15 teams I could have easily put in any of the final 6 spots!

McCowboys
September 30th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Don't ever hit the "back" button and resubmit unless I ask you to so please. If yo did not do that then I'm just putting it out there for others at this point.

I caught your error and sent an email, which is the way you should always handle any error you catch as well.

No, I did not hit the back button. I know not to do that. I had caught the error just as I was filling in the significant won/loss section and went back and corrected. Yes, I received your email and replied.

Preferred Walk-On
September 30th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Love this theoretical "If they played 'em 10 times...". Just don't say this after posting your poll. Carry on.

https://youtu.be/2CdJTfGiRCI

katss07
September 30th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Pffffff. What a dumbass am I right MVFC fans...

They should move UP!

McNeese75
September 30th, 2018, 07:14 PM

:( So sorry to heat that Bear. Who is the next man up?

F'N Hawks
September 30th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Pffffff. What a dumbass am I right MVFC fans...

They should move UP!

It's a legit question. This new rule shouldn't just apply to SDSU. UNI, ISU, WIU are all ranked, too.

World
September 30th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Let me know when either of those teams plays a team with a pulse.

Sure, no problem

Undefeated #1 North Dakota State played #3 South Dakota State this past week

katss07
September 30th, 2018, 07:40 PM
It's a legit question. This new rule shouldn't just apply to SDSU. UNI, ISU, WIU are all ranked, too.
*sarcasm*

Go...gate
September 30th, 2018, 07:44 PM
We really missed out on a good one between Colgate and Furman.

I think it would have been a fine game.

It is still September. A lot of work ahead for Colgate, including what amounts to a trap game at Bucknell this week.

BEAR
September 30th, 2018, 07:59 PM
:( So sorry to heat that Bear. Who is the next man up?

I don't think we have one really ready. I mean the guy that came in last night fumbled every other snap. I don't blame him. But losing Hildebrand who took every snap last few years left a void that will now show with Smith out.

World
September 30th, 2018, 08:00 PM
I think it would have been a fine game.

It is still September. A lot of work ahead for Colgate, including what amounts to a trap game at Bucknell this week.

Colgate cracks the top 25 on Sagarin rankings at #18

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?213996-FCS-Sagarin-Ratings-(thru-results-of-Sept-29-2018)

Katfan
September 30th, 2018, 08:29 PM

That looks painful. Great game!

Katfan
September 30th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear that. UCA was the best team is SLC until then. On another note! Please disregard our first 3 games as we played our backup qb.

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 09:10 PM
so if you are the deciding vote on FCS selection committee and season were over today ... who's your #3 seed ?

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2018, 06:29 AM
That looks painful. Great game!

Oh, it is very painful

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2018, 07:43 AM

If SDSU lost by 4 at WIU, then SDSU should drop ... but they didn't lose by 4 at WIU, they lost by 4 at NDSU. No one is saying SDSU should move up, just that they affirmed their #3 ranking .. it isn't complicated and it isn''t biased.

After last year Natty where JMU lost to NDSU ... should JMU have been dropped from #2 in final season poll .. afterall, they lost .. right ???

F'N Hawks
October 1st, 2018, 07:50 AM
If SDSU lost by 4 at WIU, then SDSU should drop ... but they didn't lose by 4 at WIU, they lost by 4 at NDSU. No one is saying SDSU should move up, just that they affirmed their #3 ranking .. it isn't complicated and it isn''t biased.

After last year Natty where JMU lost to NDSU ... should JMU have been dropped from #2 in final season poll .. afterall, they lost .. right ???

Stay focused here. I asked if this new rule applies to everyone who plays NDSU close from now on. Other ranked teams.

Cocky
October 1st, 2018, 08:10 AM
As of now
1 NDSU
2 SDSU
3 Delaware
4 TUNA
5 Cal Poly
6 JMU
7 ...
Every week the opponent is getting closer to NDSU

POD Knows
October 1st, 2018, 08:45 AM
Stay focused here. I asked if this new rule applies to everyone who plays NDSU close from now on. Other ranked teams.Just speaking for me, it would depend on how they lost, if we beat UNI by 30, I would drop them more than I would if we won on a last second field or something. If we would have blown SDSU out, given how weak SDSU's 2018 schedule has been to date, I would have dropped them more. As it was, I left them at #3

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2018, 09:25 AM
Stay focused here. I asked if this new rule applies to everyone who plays NDSU close from now on. Other ranked teams.

no new rule, just same old logic ... and same would apply to any Colonial team that goes to JMU and competes with them both on scoreboard and statisically like SDSU did with NDSU. The notion that thre is some MVFC bias in play here is ridiculous on that note alone. Bu tthen add fact that there is a common opponent in Mont St .. and SDSU beat them by 35, while EWU only beat them by 21.

But again, given JMU's recent dominance, same logic would apply .. if you can compete with the best and lsoe a close game .. why would that push you down in rankings based on simply on idea that "you lost last week", so you have to move down.

edit correction ... SDSU beat Mont St by 31, EWU beat them by 17 ... at least I got the math part right .. 2 TD difference.

kalm
October 1st, 2018, 09:41 AM
no new rule, just same old logic ... and same would apply to any Colonial team that goes to JMU and competes with them both on scoreboard and statisically like SDSU did with NDSU. The notion that thre is some MVFC bias in play here is ridiculous on that note alone. Bu tthen add fact that there is a common opponent in Mont St .. and SDSU beat them by 35, while EWU only beat them by 21.

But again, given JMU's recent dominance, same logic would apply .. if you can compete with the best and lsoe a close game .. why would that push you down in rankings based on simply on idea that "you lost last week", so you have to move down.

EWU beat MSU on the road WITH their starting QB. EWU beat Poly by 53, NDSU beat them by 42, so....

(I mostly agree with you, just picking nits here)

Redbird 4th & short
October 1st, 2018, 10:15 AM
So suppose this past saturday was final week of season, and we were picking top 8 seeds.

Going into week, SDSU is #3 and EWU was like #5 or #6, before game I think. Walking into game with that, now walk thru the 2 most recent data points:

... #3 SDSU plays at #1 and loses by just 4, had lead going into Q4 and played them just as close statistically as the final score. Not a fluke game like NC A&T beating JSU, despite being completely outplayed.

... # 5 or 6 EWU plays at team Mont St (bubble top 25) and wins by 17 .. same team SDSU beat by 31 (at SDSU) .. whats home field worth .. 3 to 4 points ?

Who has earned the 3rd seed if season was over and we are starting playoffs ?

grizband
October 1st, 2018, 10:19 AM
So suppose this past saturday was final week of season, and we were picking top 8 seeds.

Going into week, SDSU is #3 and EWU was like #5 or #6, before game I think. Walking into game with that, now walk thru the 2 most recent data points:

... #3 SDSU plays at #1 and loses by just 4, had lead going into Q4 and played them just as close statistically as the final score. Not a fluke game like NC A&T beating JSU, despite being completely outplayed.

... # 5 or 6 EWU plays at team Mont St (bubble top 25) and wins by 17 .. same team SDSU beat by 31 (at SDSU) .. whats home field worth .. 3 to 4 points ?

Who gets the 3rd seed if season was over and we are starting playoffs ?
What's a starting QB worth? SDSU played Montana State without their starting QB; EWU didn't have that luxury.

dbackjon
October 1st, 2018, 10:45 AM
Right now 3 vs 4 is to decide who travels to Fargo and who travels to Virginia.

The committee would avoid a rematch, rank SDSU 3

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
October 1st, 2018, 10:51 AM

Would they?......

Silenoz
October 1st, 2018, 11:00 AM
I kept SDSU at 3 but given the SDSU got Montana State at home without the Bobcats starting QB who's basically all of their offense, I'd say the outcomes were fairly similar. I kept SDSU at 3 because that's yesterday's showing and the luster coming off of EWU's win over NAU now that they've lost to Missouri State and and Idaho State.
He wasn't out against SDSU, he played...

...linebacker for a few snaps xdrunkyx

Silenoz
October 1st, 2018, 11:02 AM

1. North Dakota State
26. Colgate
30. Princeton

We should be #4 dammit. WIU cheated by scoring touchdowns.

dbackjon
October 1st, 2018, 11:48 AM
Would they?......

Back in Fargo, I would think so. But committee always manages a surprise or two.

Derby City Duke
October 1st, 2018, 12:17 PM
Back in Fargo, I would think so. But committee always manages a surprise or two.

Would they set up a semi-final rematch from last year (given that seeds hold serve)? Didn't SDSU play 2x in the FargoDome in '16?

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2018, 12:24 PM

Would they?......
There were a lot of posters here last year who swore up and down that the selection committee would never seed NDSU and SDSU so they'd be on opposite sides of the bracket but if you understand how they determine seedings it's almost impossible for them to match up seeds by geography. They discuss teams in consideration and then they do anonymous poll ballots and the seeds are tabulated using the same points system as any other poll out there. So they'd have to be pretty organized to all vote so the seeds work out with geography.

That is unless you believe the selection committee chair was blowing smoke when he said that's how they set the seeds. Which I don't believe because I don't know why he'd lie about something like that.

nevadagriz
October 1st, 2018, 12:46 PM
What's a starting QB worth? SDSU played Montana State without their starting QB; EWU didn't have that luxury.
Where would you all have the rabbits if they had played ISU and lost? They seem to be getting the benefit of not playing their FBS game.

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2018, 01:18 PM
Where would you all have the rabbits if they had played ISU and lost? They seem to be getting the benefit of not playing their FBS game.
It depends. If they would've kept it within 10 points or so, which I think they would've given how they looked last Saturday, I'd have no problem still having them at #3. Had they lost by 20+ well maybe not so much.

POD Knows
October 1st, 2018, 01:56 PM
If they had gotten boat raced I might have moved them down a notch or two.

F'N Hawks
October 1st, 2018, 05:19 PM
This board is turning into a moral victory sanctuary. Say it ain't so Ursus!

Silenoz
October 1st, 2018, 05:21 PM
I'm more into moral defeats.

"Oh you won did you? Well, that wouldn't of happened if we weren't so terrible! And I'm not just saying that because we lost."

Professor Chaos
October 1st, 2018, 05:33 PM
UND hanging within 10 of Iowa St would be a moral victory. SDSU hanging within 10 of Iowa St is just what I'd expect them to do. xtwocentsx

ST_Lawson
October 1st, 2018, 06:05 PM
I'm more into moral defeats.

"Oh you won did you? Well, that wouldn't of happened if we weren't so terrible! And I'm not just saying that because we lost."

I've seen some YSU fans pretty much saying this about our win last weekend.

kalm
October 1st, 2018, 09:14 PM

Who has earned the 3rd seed if season was over and we are starting playoffs ?

1) Too many other variables.
2). Neither I nor the committee should base seeding off of polls.
3) As previously mentioned key starters out, plays a role.

All that being said, I still have SDSU ranked higher in my poll for now.

What perhaps is even more intriguing is (thanks to the Valley-Sky Challenge) what could happen if UNI or WIU pick off NDSU or SDSU.

All sorts of seeding and at-large implications in that scenario. EG: Who do you seed higher? A 9-2 Montana with losses to WIU and 8-3 MSU or a 9-2 EWU with road losses to Wazzu and a 9-2 Weber but a win over MSU who beat Montana and an 8-3 WIU who beat UNI?

Tons of other examples but you get the picture.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
October 3rd, 2018, 03:02 PM
There were a lot of posters here last year who swore up and down that the selection committee would never seed NDSU and SDSU so they'd be on opposite sides of the bracket but if you understand how they determine seedings it's almost impossible for them to match up seeds by geography. They discuss teams in consideration and then they do anonymous poll ballots and the seeds are tabulated using the same points system as any other poll out there. So they'd have to be pretty organized to all vote so the seeds work out with geography.

That is unless you believe the selection committee chair was blowing smoke when he said that's how they set the seeds. Which I don't believe because I don't know why he'd lie about something like that.

All I was alluding to was the selection committee doesn't give a crap about separating seeded teams. They Just seed them. They only said they'd attempt to not pair teams that played in the season in the firstish round? I believe? And what does it matter anyway. Either way we get last years semifinal rematch or this years season rematch. Gotta beat the best to be the best!

Professor Chaos
October 3rd, 2018, 03:16 PM
All I was alluding to was the selection committee doesn't give a crap about separating seeded teams. They Just seed them. They only said they'd attempt to not pair teams that played in the season in the firstish round? I believe? And what does it matter anyway. Either way we get last years semifinal rematch or this years season rematch. Gotta beat the best to be the best!
Yep, I agree.

Hopefully the committee room conspiracy theorists are a little more quiet in that regard this year. There's still plenty of other stuff for them to harp on. ;)