PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State Illinois State game thread

The Yo Show
September 29th, 2018, 03:16 PM
The bears giving the Redbirds some fits so far... Wow

TheKingpin28
September 29th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Maybe the days of Missery St have finally passed?

Bisonator
September 29th, 2018, 04:03 PM
10-0 Bears?

http://m.memegen.com/me01e9.jpg

The Yo Show
September 29th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Illinois State waking up here maybe?

MSUDuo
September 29th, 2018, 04:42 PM
MO State "deserves" to win this game based on the game so far. Question is, can they figure out a way to close the deal.

Schism55
September 29th, 2018, 04:43 PM
MO State "deserves" to win this game based on the game so far. Question is, can they figure out a way to close the deal.
Indeed, the Bears are the better team so far today

TheKingpin28
September 29th, 2018, 04:49 PM
24-14 Bears.

MSUDuo
September 29th, 2018, 04:49 PM
24-14 Bears with 7:54 minutes left

Bisonator
September 29th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Wow didn't see this one coming. I may be out of the survivor game already lol

MSUDuo
September 29th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Bears hold ISUr on 4-1 deep in Bears territory.

Bears ball, 24-14, with 5:15 left. ISUr has two TOs left.

MSUDuo
September 29th, 2018, 05:10 PM
And just two minutes later, ISUr scores to make it 24-21 with 3:15 left

Schism55
September 29th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Bears block FG attempt to win!!! Wow

mvfcfan
September 29th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the Top 25 Missouri State! The Bears might actually be for real this year.

Bisonator
September 29th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Wow congrats to the Bears!

MSUDuo
September 29th, 2018, 05:26 PM
MO State blocks a game ending FG attempt to beat ISUr 24-21

Biggest win under Steck by far obviously.

clenz
September 29th, 2018, 05:26 PM
🤣

Kudos MSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
September 29th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Where is GodSaveTheBears when you need him?

The Yo Show
September 29th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Big win for the bears!

Paladin1aa
September 29th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Wow !

JayJ79
September 29th, 2018, 05:58 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/d286431efc696b95dfc506615c7bea05/tenor.gif?itemid=4783226

Bison56
September 29th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Nice win Bears!

NDSUtk
September 29th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Missouri State showing up this year!! Congrats!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 29th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Nice win for the Bears.

Best win in many years!

skinny_uncle
September 29th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Misery State a bit of a surprise so far.

ST_Lawson
September 29th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Just got back from our band alumni dinner and....WTF!!!

Derby City Duke
September 29th, 2018, 10:39 PM
Excellent win Mo State!

leatherneck177
September 29th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Nice job Bears!

cx500d
September 29th, 2018, 11:01 PM
I looked at the stats...fairly close total offense. Misery state has three turnovers to none for isur, how does isur lose?

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 08:12 AM
we got completely outcoached and outplayed the first half. 2nd half was obviuously a little better. Our QB has been good so far, but was off the mark yesterday, and they game planned for RB Robinson very well. But that was more the result of keeping our OL guessing ... bad day for our OL.

Heads were getting a little full too fast for having played a fairly weak schedule in going 3-0 to this point .. maybe this is just what we needed .. early season reminder that you have to show up to win in MVFC. In any case, the let down was very disappointing, but maybe MoST is better than we think and was playingg as underdogs with nothing to lose.

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 08:52 AM
I looked at the stats...fairly close total offense. Misery state has three turnovers to none for isur, how does isur lose?

look at ISUr drive chart ... they game planned very well for stopping RB Robinson and QB Davis; our OL seemed confused most of game. It wasn't until we started "playing with nothing to lose" like MoST did 1st half, that we started moving the ball.

first 10 drives (Q1 thru Q3) : 135 total yards
last 4 drives (start with 0:20 left in Q3): 234 yards

One bad call did hurt us on last drive staring with 1:28 left .. Davis pass across middle to Schnell for 37 yards to MoST 30 with 53 seconds left and zero timeouts ... ref rightly called facemask on Schnell that put us back on 45, except for fact that DB was just as obviously horse collaring Schnell in a wrestling match to get out of bound to stop clock ... horse collar was obvious as Schnell was trying to get out of bounds and was pulled backwards and down from behind.

Took us 3 plays and precious time to get back to 33 yd line, followed by 18 yard catch/run by Robinson to their 15 .. tried one plass (incomplete) but had to try FG on 2nd down with seconds left. Sure could have used those 3 plays or 15 yards.

That was one critical call in 60 minutes. Give MoST a lot of credit ... we were outcoached and outplayed completely in 1st half. They played an inspired game, and we came out flat ... but they are better than many of us thought.

dewey
September 30th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Congratulations Bears on the huge win!

Dewey

BisonFan02
September 30th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the Valley.

Schism55
September 30th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the Valley.
Hah this!
Meat grinder el supreme wasting NO time this season.

dewey
October 2nd, 2018, 07:53 AM
The last time Missouri State defeated two straight ranked opponents was 1988 per the Bison 1660 radio show (41:00 mark from 1 October).

WOW!

Dewey

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 08:04 AM
The last time Missouri State defeated two straight ranked opponents was 1988 per the Bison 1660 radio show (41:00 mark from 1 October).

WOW!

DeweyYea, I put Misery State in my AGS poll, I never thought I would ever click that name in any meaningful way in that process.

clenz
October 2nd, 2018, 08:17 AM
I mean.....I’m gonna be that guy again

Beat a non D1

curbed by an FBS - sure it was close for a couple minutes but they were outgained 720-270 and outscored worse than they outscored the D1

Beat a sub .500 and always early season over-ranked Northern Arizona team

Beat an over valued Illinois State team by literally a finger tip. Illinois State came out super flat - almost entirely likely due to the week before. Look at their week after beating Northwestern - they lost to EIU and ISUb in back to back weeks following that win (which also shot them from middle of the rankings back to the top 10 only to see them fall to where most thought they’d be preseason and finish the year 6-5

I mean....sure it’s an improvement from where MSU has been and it’s great for them. I’m not super convinced they sustain it.

I see No Bowls has them as an 8 seed right now. I about crapped myself in dumbfounded amazement when I saw that.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 08:32 AM
Welcome to the Valley.

"The G-damn Valley". Just no bottom feeders at all, ever.

Bison56
October 2nd, 2018, 08:45 AM
"The G-damn Valley". Just no bottom feeders at all, ever.

They will have one soon.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 08:45 AM
"The G-damn Valley". Just no bottom feeders at all, ever.No, there are bottom feeders, MSU, USD, as a matter of fact I think these bottom feeders of the past have done OK with you guys.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 08:52 AM
No, there are bottom feeders, MSU, USD, as a matter of fact I think these bottom feeders of the past have done OK with you guys.

As long as nobody looks up and verifies what you just stated then you have a great point.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 09:07 AM
As long as nobody looks up and verifies what you just stated then you have a great point.Yea, you won a few and lost a few against them and when you played them, they were bottom feeders.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 09:14 AM
Yea, you won a few and lost a few against them and when you played them, they were bottom feeders.

What does this have to do with UND? We are talking about "The Valley" dammit.

Redbird 4th & short
October 2nd, 2018, 09:24 AM
As long as nobody looks up and verifies what you just stated then you have a great point.
Curious if you did any looking up yourself ?

Per my recent post on recent thread: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?213823-Ground-and-Pound-Big-Sky

USD routinely finished near bottom and always gave Big Sky fits:

- in 2012, an 0-8 USD lost at 3-5 Montana by just 11
- in 2013, a 3-5 USD team lost by just 6 points to an 8-1 NAU team
- in 2014, an 0-8 USD lost by average of 21 ppg in MVFC play. But beat 7-5 NAU (at USD) by 7 and lost to 7-4 Montana by 8 on road
- in 2016, a 3-5 USD beat 7-2 Weber St in 2 OT by 3; then lost to 8-0 UND by just 3 in 2 OT at UND

But aside from that, you're right .. it's just a lot of MVFC bias and hype in play.

semobison
October 2nd, 2018, 09:30 AM

Per my recent post on recent thread:

- in 2014, an 0-8 USD lost by average of 21 ppg in MVFC play. But beat 7-5 NAU (at USD) by 7 and lost to 7-4 Montana by 8 on road
- in 2016, a 3-5 USD beat 7-2 Weber St in 2 OT by 3; then lost to 8-0 UND by just 3 in 2 OT at UND

But aside from that, you're right .. it's just a lot MVFC bias and hype in play.

Never mind F'n, he makes short post about Valley bias and when you respond with an arguement he fades away only to pop up in another thread with another short post!

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 09:30 AM
What does this have to do with UND? We are talking about "The Valley" dammit.LOL, nothing, except you are going to be a member pretty soon, I figured I would start getting your callouses going.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 09:32 AM

Per my recent post on recent thread: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?213823-Ground-and-Pound-Big-Sky

But aside from that, you're right .. it's just a lot of MVFC bias and hype in play.You should show the USD-UND score when USD was actually not a bottom feeder and made the playoffs.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 09:32 AM
Once again why do you guys constantly bring up UND. I was talking about how "The Valley" has no bottom feeders--Upsets galore--anybody can beat anybody--depth. Totally unlike any other conference, where upsets never happen.

But, suddenly its turned into talking about UND.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 09:37 AM

But aside from that, you're right .. it's just a lot of MVFC bias and hype in play.

Are you guys really bragging how USD beat up on the worst, most decimated team UND has had in 20 years? Really. Take a look at what Davis and Montana State did to UND right after that game. Yah, not so impressive anymore.

When UND was somewhat healthy the week before they beat your golden boy, Missouri State 34-0. The injuries came in that game. Then all down hill.

#butvalley

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 09:37 AM
Once again why do you guys constantly bring up UND. I was talking about how "The Valley" has no bottom feeders--Upsets galore--anybody can beat anybody--depth. Totally unlike any other conference, where upsets never happen.

But, suddenly its turned into talking about UND.Well, we just wanted to point out that maybe, just maybe, the bottom feeders in the MVFC aren't so bad compared to the rest of the division. You are always going to have bottom feeders somebody has to finish last. As a matter of fact, the year that MSU beat you guys 38 to freaking 0, they were 1-7 in the conference and a true bottom feeder.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Well, we just wanted to point out that maybe, just maybe, the bottom feeders in the MVFC aren't so bad compared to the rest of the division. You are always going to have bottom feeders somebody has to finish last. As a matter of fact, the year that MSU beat you guys 38 to freaking 0, they were 1-7 in the conference and a true bottom feeder.

Has UND played MSU since that game FIVE years ago? xpopcornx #thevalley

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 09:59 AM
Has UND played MSU since that game FIVE years ago? xpopcornx #thevalleyYea, so, you beat them. Congrats, everybody beat them back then. To answer your question, yea, the MVFC has had bottom feeders and some teams of questionable ability, but even those teams have beat you guys on the past.

You UND posters need to toughen up, this could be a bumpy ride for you guys in this conference. The MVFC has consistently been rated in the top conference in the FCS for the past few years. It is a fact and there is a lot of balance in the conference. I never feel comfortable in any Valley game, the playoffs is where we can relax.

Redbird 4th & short
October 2nd, 2018, 10:02 AM

But, suddenly its turned into talking about UND.

I cited 4 year history of one of our bottom feeders results against upper Big Sky teams, not just UND ... wasn't that the counter point you were making ?? and "hoping nobody had ever bothered to look it up" xprayx as you said. So I responded directly to your point with overwhelming evidence of something you assumed "nobody had ever looked up", and you throw up smoke screens and play the victim.

Just to level set .. I am same person who said later last season and before this season that the gap is closing between MVFC and Big Sky, and has pretty much closed entirely between Colonial and MVFC. So while we're debating recent history, I am not saying MVFC dominance remains entire true this year. NDSU has forced the rest of MVFC to catch up some, and now JMU along with MVFC is has forced rest of Colonial and Big Sky to catch up some. That was largely the inferred point of the Ground & Pound thread and article I referenced and changes at EWU. Programs adjust to competition and tend to work thru cycles over time. So this year .,. it looks pretty wide open after NDSU and JMU, and maybe SDSU as well.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 10:14 AM

- in 2012, an 0-8 USD lost at 3-5 Montana by just 11 --MORAL VICTORY
- in 2013, a 3-5 USD team lost by just 6 points to an 8-1 NAU team --MORAL VICTORY
- in 2014, an 0-8 USD lost by average of 21 ppg in MVFC play. But beat 7-5 NAU (at USD) by 7 and lost to 7-4 Montana by 8 on road --MORAL VICTORY
- in 2016, a 3-5 USD beat 7-2 Weber St in 2 OT by 3; then lost to 8-0 UND by just 3 in 2 OT at UND --MORAL VICTORY

Besides the four moral victories you laid out above:
- in 2015, a 5-6 USD beat NDSU.
- in 2016, a 4-7 USD beat #11 UNI (at the time).

By your logic, the Valley isn't as good as you thought cause your bottom feeder beat your best team and a ranked team.

But, on the other hand they are pretty damn solid cause they came really, really close to some Big Sky teams?

(FYI, I was talking about UND vs "the valley" when I said to "look it up")

Redbird 4th & short
October 2nd, 2018, 10:18 AM

By your logic, the Valley isn't as good as you thought cause your bottom feeder, who sucks, beat your best team and a ranked team.

But, on the other hand they are pretty damn solid cause they came really, really close to some Big Sky teams?

You asked for evidence, I gave you a bunch .. now you're saying it doesn't prove anything.

Clue coming... USD plays 8 MVFC teams every year. They play just 1 or 2 Big Sky teams.

Do the math from there as to statistical significance.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 10:22 AM

By your logic, the Valley isn't as good as you thought cause your bottom feeder beat your best team and a ranked team.

You just proved a point that maybe the bottom feeders in the conference are pretty competitive.

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 10:28 AM
You just proved a point that maybe the bottom feeders in the conference are pretty competitive.

Right. I believe my initial point was there were no bottom feeders, correct? Then it morphed into how great "the valley" is because their lower-end (not bottom feeder) teams come really close to the Big Sky teams. What the F is going on here?

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 10:34 AM
Right. I believe my initial point was there were no bottom feeders, correct? Then it morphed into how great "the valley" is because their lower-end (not bottom feeder) teams come really close to the Big Sky teams. What the F is going on here?Well, I guess I read your post as being somewhat tongue in cheek. You weren't being sarcastic??

F'N Hawks
October 2nd, 2018, 10:55 AM
Well, I guess I read your post as being somewhat tongue in cheek. You weren't being sarcastic??

I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.

semobison
October 2nd, 2018, 10:56 AM
In the last 10 years Missouri State is the only MVFC team not to win a playoff game. Last year Weber became the first BSC team not named Eagles, Griz or Bobcats to get a playoff win in that timeframe and the Cats last win was in 2012. The BSC has had 3 seeded teams lose a first round playoff game since 2010 and two of those losses were against unseeded Valley teams!
That being said, I think the BSC has improved the last two years. The beauty of FCS football is, we will find out because the playoffs don't lie!

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2018, 11:16 AM
I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.:D Yea, and I have problems with sarcasm and irony so we are both screwed.

Redbird 4th & short
October 2nd, 2018, 01:22 PM
Right. I believe my initial point was there were no bottom feeders, correct? Then it morphed into how great "the valley" is because their lower-end (not bottom feeder) teams come really close to the Big Sky teams. What the F is going on here?
if you seriously were not taking a sarcastic poke, my apologies ... but it really read that way.