PDA

View Full Version : New Drake logo/mascot

Bub
July 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Drake has redesigned their bulldog mascot Spike and sports logo. Apparently old Spike the mascot will still be around, but will wear new logo attire. The jury is still out on the design, but it's early. Here's both of them. The new one is the realistic looking bulldog with the new D for Drake and the old Spike the strutting bulldog. What does the board think?

89Hen
July 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Was really expecting to open this string and find...
http://www.hometown-treats.com/product_photos/coffee_cakes_sm.jpeg

Green Cookie Monster
July 27th, 2005, 10:55 AM
http://re2.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/416942234

or this.

colgate13
July 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I like the old school one...

Fordham
July 27th, 2005, 11:13 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=502

Very nice!

This is a great one!

Bub
July 27th, 2005, 11:18 AM
This is a great one!

Yea, this is the new one. I think it has some potential. :)

Engineer91
July 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=502

Very nice!

Great!

But I'm not sure how well it will work on a helmet. Though just the bulldog head may be cool.

Bub
July 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Great!

But I'm not sure how well it will work on a helmet. Though just the bulldog head may be cool.

The helmets currently have an overlapping DU. They use to have a paw print. I'm not sure if the plan is to alter the helmt design or not.

Bub
July 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Was really expecting to open this string and find...
http://www.hometown-treats.com/product_photos/coffee_cakes_sm.jpeg

Hardy har har! :rolleyes:

Retro
July 27th, 2005, 09:19 PM
FROM SEINFELD:

Jerry: Oh, Drake's party, I forgot to buy a present.

George: I gotta buy a present now?

Elaine: Of course you do, it's an engagement party.

George: It never ends, this present stuff! Engagement present! Then they get married, you gonna
have to get them something for that! Then the baby, there's another present. Then the baby starts
getting their presents. I don't even like Drake.

Jerry: You don't like the Drake?

George: Hate the Drake.

Elaine: I *love* the Drake.

Jerry: How could you not like the Drake?

George: Who's the Drake?

Elaine: "Who's the Drake"?

Jerry: The Drake is good!

Bub
July 27th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Just watched Drake beat UNI in 1985. UNI player of the week was #74 Bill Bealles.

That was their last year as a scholarship program. They beat Iowa State too, but lost to Iowa.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 27th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I think Lehigh was scheduled to play Drake at home last year until they were replaced with a home and home series with Villanova. If i can find a Lehigh game program from 2001 or 2002 with the future schedules listed i'll confirm it. Either way would have been an odd matchup.

colgate13
July 28th, 2005, 08:00 AM
That was their last year as a scholarship program. They beat Iowa State too, but lost to Iowa.

Give this Easterner some history... Why did they drop scholarships?

colgate13
July 28th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Just watched Drake beat UNI in 1985. UNI player of the week was #74 Bill Bealles.

I've heard that guy was good. I hope UNI had enough sense to make them their Captain. :)

BTW - this made me think I'd love to see some sort of I-AA video highlight hall of fame. It's probably harder to get the older stuff, but maybe some new stuff like of Payton/Buchanon winners or playoff games or just plain great plays. It would be cool to have some sort of media library like that so we could see greats like #74 make a few pancakes blocks against an unsuspecting lineman (as a defensive player - I can't believe I just said that!).

Just a thought... maybe the next donation campaign! ;)

89Hen
July 28th, 2005, 08:38 AM
I've heard that guy was good.
I heard he was overrated. A legend in his own mind kind of thing. :p

Bub
July 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Give this Easterner some history... Why did they drop scholarships?

Ya know I'm not really sure, but I believe it was the cost. Drake is a private school so of course these costs were higher than the state schools they were playing. Added to that is Drake is in a difficult position to establish a large fan base, and the funds that would bring in. There are two resons for this. Physically, it's located in the middle of Iowa , right between Iowa & Iowa State. Emotionally, most of the state is divided between those two big boys.(I went to Iowa myself, GO HAWKS). These two reasons combine and produce this senario, it's saturday, what game are you going to, the Hawks, Cyclones or Bulldogs.(I've left out UNI because they're in the same boat as Drake, more or less). Most people pick one of the big two. I think it just became too big a drain. Plus the pres wasn't behind the program. They dropped football completely, brought it back as a club sport the next year, then went D-III until they went to I-AA non scholly. With the committments they've made to their facilities I think Drake football will continue it's up swing. The new field and lights will increase attendance they believe. Their largest crowd last year attended a night game with Musco temp lights, which took place the evening of the Iowa/Iowa State game. Maybe next year the opening game in the new stadium could be a night game against UNI. Now that would draw some people. :)

colgate13
July 28th, 2005, 10:45 AM
It's funny how things differ regionally like that. In NY state, if you want to watch I-A you can go to an SU game or a Buffalo game. Not a lot of draw from a state wide level, so there is plenty of room regionally for growth at the I-AA level.

Bub
July 28th, 2005, 10:55 AM
It's really tough competing for fans in a state the size of Iowa , against Iowa, the Big Ten Champs and Iowa State, who was one game from winning the Big Twelve North. Iowa's stadium, Kinnick, holds somewhere around 70,000 or so and it will be sold out every game. We just don't have enough fans to go around for all the teams in Iowa. ;)

UAalum72
July 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM
It's funny how things differ regionally like that. In NY state, if you want to watch I-A you can go to an SU game or a Buffalo game.

or Army

colgate13
July 28th, 2005, 01:05 PM
or Army

right... keep forgetting about those downstaters. Anyone else I forgot?

Pantherpower
July 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I love the new logo. Very Cool!

DemiGS
July 29th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Try the state of Georgia. I grew up in Florida, so I'm no stranger to big time football programs, but the state of Georgia is unreal. I'll bet if someone could compile a list of the percent of the population that had a (state school) car tage verses the percent of people with tags that went to (insert school), the State of Georgia and UGA would win in a slide. UGA is everywhere in the state of Georgia. UF is big, but more then 3 people are not fans of the gators in the state of Florida.

igo4uni
July 29th, 2005, 08:18 AM
It's really tough competing for fans in a state the size of Iowa , against Iowa, the Big Ten Champs and Iowa State, who was one game from winning the Big Twelve North. Iowa's stadium, Kinnick, holds somewhere around 70,000 or so and it will be sold out every game. We just don't have enough fans to go around for all the teams in Iowa. ;)

One of the reasons that UNI schedules night games is to avoid playing at the same time as Iowa. The thought is that people will watch the Iowa game on TV early in the day, and then come out to the fabulous UNI-Dome for the night game.

One thing that has always frustrated me is the casual fan in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area. They are just a few minutes away from UNI but choose to cheer for Iowa or Iowa State instead of the local boys.

peace

igo4uni