PDA

View Full Version : Harvard won't exchange film?

Little Stevie
September 27th, 2018, 02:52 PM
http://www.independentri.com/sports/article_fcb3c248-c1c0-11e8-951b-a7787a524d9b.html

” Fleming said of the matchup. “We had some kids who went up and watched the game and I had a first-hand look at it and that was helpful because, unfortunately, the Harvard people decided not to trade football films with us, so we’ve kind of been flying blind on this one, which is an unusual turn of events . . . It’s a little disappointing – I didn’t think people did business like that anymore.”

Teams generally exchange game films before they meet. From the in-person view and other information the URI coaching staff has gleaned, the Rams know they’re in for a challenge against Harvard, which is 2-0 and receiving votes in national polls.

What's up with not exchanging film?
Is there a strategy behind it? Or just being difficult?

RootinFerDukes
September 27th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I didn't realize schools exchanged film, I always thought it was the responsibility of the opponent to find it on their own, i.e. record it on tv or stream it, etc.

Harvard's game was just on ESPNU last friday and I would assume an associate with URI would've recorded it and provided it somehow.

JSUSoutherner
September 27th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I've heard of teams exchanging film when playing lower divison oppenents. Like if Alabama were to play UNA. I always thought it was a coutresy thing to help the little guys.

Never heard of it for schools on level ground.

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I thought that NCAA teams were required to exchange all film for that season

IBleedYellow
September 27th, 2018, 04:32 PM

It's a conference thing. All Valley schools are required to have a certain level of production and use the service which currently escapes my memory (most likely something like DVSport.)

I was good friends with the guy that had to cut all this video every week at NDSU. Everything is cut before it's ever shared to the other schools so each and every play is broken up in short 4-8 second videos. He would spend you don't want to know how many hours every Sunday night prepping video for NDSU and for that next weeks opponent.

Silenoz
September 27th, 2018, 04:39 PM
/UNI

Laker
September 27th, 2018, 04:41 PM

That is what I thought too.......in an effort to save money from scouting in person.

Little Stevie
September 27th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Bad Karma

FUBeAR
September 27th, 2018, 07:37 PM
So...with hudl (et al) now, Teams typically don't physically exchange film, they put digital files of games in a specific location and give the other Team access to that location for a certain period of time. I'm not sure how it is now, but in 2014 & 2015 in the SoCon, all schools gave all other schools access to their Wide (sideline) and Endzone views of all games played to that point in the season. Even with that level of 'sharing,' there can still be some 'gamesmanship' involved in the process - lower quality feeds, cutting off the plays on 'trade' cuts earlier and starting them later...so that the opponent doesn't get pre-snap reads or post-snap position substitution groupings (without working for it). But...comparatively, to physical trades, it's pretty clean.

With physical trades, all kinds of shenanigans can/did take place. From late deliveries to 'dirty' copies...to recording over some kids' dance recital, which shows up between every play (true story).

I would wager there is A LOT more to this story than is in this article. At some point, some Coach on one of these Staffs feels like some Coach on the other Staff 'did him dirty' on a film swap, which could or could not be true...and this is 'payback.' Or...some of URI's Players/Coaches did, or were perceived by Harvard's Players and/or Coaches to have done, something 'dirty' when they attended the Harvard game during their bye week.

I guarantee that the full story is much more entertaining than this article...hopefully, a dance recital is involved!

Go Green
September 27th, 2018, 08:35 PM
You think that's bad?

Yale wouldn't give us a kicking tee.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/10/dartmouth_uses_water_bottle_as.html

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 27th, 2018, 08:55 PM
You think that's bad?

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/10/dartmouth_uses_water_bottle_as.html

Damn thats some petty ****

KPSUL
September 27th, 2018, 09:09 PM

Couldn't say it any better!

FUBeAR
September 27th, 2018, 09:22 PM
You think that's bad?

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/10/dartmouth_uses_water_bottle_as.htmlMercer forgot to bring their Footballs (and their Placekicker, but that's another story - he drove up in time for Kickoff) to Wofford in 2014. Wofford was generous enough to loan the Bears some balls. Still some VERY sly gamesmanship, as I understand it, though. Wofford gave Mercer 'used' balls for warmups. You want 'used' balls - slightly used, at least, because they are not slick...a few scuffs on the ball go a long way to helping to grip and hang on to it. Well, when Mercer took the field to start the game after warm-ups, those used balls were nowhere to be seen, but there on their sidelines, 'courtesy' of the Terriers, was a bag of BRAND-NEW Footballs...still in their original individual plastic wraps. Below is the result of Mercer's 1st play from scrimmage...

1st and 10 at MER13
John Russ rush for loss of 3 yards to the MER10, fumble by John Russ recovered by MER John Russ at MER5.

Pistol Snap from Center went straight through his hands like a greased pig!

LOL - I think that's great! Moral of the story - If you're going to play Wofford, you better bring your balls with you!

Little Stevie
September 28th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Heard same as Fuebar,maybe Rhody agitated Harvard HC.
Have not heard anything.
What I heard from several people = Bad Karma.
Rhody has shot up there.

Bisonoline
September 28th, 2018, 08:26 AM
I didn't realize schools exchanged film, I always thought it was the responsibility of the opponent to find it on their own, i.e. record it on tv or stream it, etc.

Harvard's game was just on ESPNU last friday and I would assume an associate with URI would've recorded it and provided it somehow.

Exchanging film has been a common practice for over 50 years. I also think there is a service you can subscribe to that offers game film.

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Exchanging film has been a common practice for over 50 years. I also think there is a service you can subscribe to that offers game film.Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is fairly common practice. I feel like there was a team a while back that refused to exchange film with SDSU before, but thats been long forgotten by myself.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Go Green
September 28th, 2018, 10:23 AM

Funny thing was that Dartmouth got a first down deep in Yale territory late in the game and already ahead. I thought for sure Dartmouth would run the clock out with some Victory Formation knees. Instead, we lined up and powered the ball in for another touchdown to make the final score seem more lopsided than it actually was.

I thought it was uncharacteristically poor sportsmanship on Teevens' part. Then I read about the kicking tee thing the next day and thought "Ah! So that explains it!"

:)

VandalBasher
September 28th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Yes, this should be an issue (like in 1977). But, there is so much data on YouTube of everything, this is a none issue in today's environment of everything being captured on "film."

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2018, 11:37 PM
Once Lehigh had to change their schedule in the middle of the season to play Harvard at Harvard Stadium instead of Lehigh where it was originally scheduled. The Mountain Hawks beat their ass and Lehigh wasn't invited back to play them ever again. So let's just say I'm not surprised.

dgtw
September 29th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Mercer forgot to bring their Footballs (and their Placekicker, but that's another story - he drove up in time for Kickoff) to Wofford in 2014. Wofford was generous enough to loan the Bears some balls. Still some VERY sly gamesmanship, as I understand it, though. Wofford gave Mercer 'used' balls for warmups. You want 'used' balls - slightly used, at least, because they are not slick...a few scuffs on the ball go a long way to helping to grip and hang on to it. Well, when Mercer took the field to start the game after warm-ups, those used balls were nowhere to be seen, but there on their sidelines, 'courtesy' of the Terriers, was a bag of BRAND-NEW Footballs...still in their original individual plastic wraps. Below is the result of Mercer's 1st play from scrimmage...

1st and 10 at MER13
John Russ rush for loss of 3 yards to the MER10, fumble by John Russ recovered by MER John Russ at MER5.

Pistol Snap from Center went straight through his hands like a greased pig!

LOL - I think that's great! Moral of the story - If you're going to play Wofford, you better bring your balls with you!

I didn’t know teams provided their own balls for the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison56
September 29th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Ivy league snobs.

Go Green
September 29th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I didn’t know teams provided their own balls for the game.

In the old days, the home team was responsible for providing the balls.

The 1970s Oakland Raiders would write messages on the ball used when visiting team had possession along the lines of "F--K YOU!"

dgtw
September 29th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Ivy league snobs.

They only exchange film with their peers. Since Harvard has no peers, that eliminates the need to exchange film.

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2018, 05:36 PM
They only exchange film with their peers. Since Harvard has no peers, that eliminates the need to exchange film.

I like the way you think.

van
September 29th, 2018, 06:33 PM
I like the way you think.

maybe they just felt like underdogs and were looking for any edge to get the win?

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2018, 06:45 PM
maybe they just felt like underdogs and were looking for any edge to get the win?
Nah. As Sadah87 would say, Hahvahd ain’t that smaht!xrotatehx

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Ivy league snobs.
Have a nice day!