PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa and Indiana State play today!

Twentysix
September 27th, 2018, 10:51 AM
The game is on ESPN3 starting at 4 pacific. Get your weekday mvfc fix tonight!

Also I'm not sure why my phone made the title possessive. If a mod could fix it that'd be great
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
September 27th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Any reason why they are playing on a Thursday?

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2018, 11:01 AM

Creepin' in on some of that mid-week "MACtion" maybe?

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 11:01 AM

Indiana State wants more Thursday games for exposure purposes. Rather than playing billionth fiddle on Saturday they’d rather play Thursday nights.

Does it get them more attention? Probably not, but that’s their reason.

I talked with their beat writer via twitter a while back and he mentioned they are doing 1 game for now but would 2 or 3 conference Thursday games if it gets the okay eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
September 27th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Certainly, the MVFC game that will have the most interest this week, is without doubt SDSU at NDSU ... sincerely, Captain Obvious

But for me, the most "interesting" MVFC game this week is UNI at ISUb. For me, I want to see if UNI is going to become the UNI i thought they were coming into this season .. I picked them 2nd, though said field was wide open after NDSU. At same time, being an MVFC fan, I also want to see if ISUb has recovered from a very bad year and may surprise a few teams in lower half of MVFC this year.

So I'm looking forward to seeing how they both do .. that is, who shows up. With MoST also showing some competitiveness in their NAU game, the bottom of MVFC could be much improved this year.

Professor Chaos
September 27th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Indiana State wants more Thursday games for exposure purposes. Rather than playing billionth fiddle on Saturday they’d rather play Thursday nights.

Does it get them more attention? Probably not, but that’s their reason.

I talked with their beat writer via twitter a while back and he mentioned they are doing 1 game for now but would 2 or 3 conference Thursday games if it gets the okay eventually

I bet they'll get pushback from the conference if they want that many (they only get 4 conference home games a year to begin with). I know Klieman doesn't even like late kickoffs on Saturday because it messes with their routine so I'm sure he'd hate these short weeks. Although once UND comes on board I would guess NDSU will play the eastern schools like Indiana St and YSU only about half the time anyway.

Schism55
September 27th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Certainly, the MVFC game that will have the most interest this week, is without doubt SDSU at NDSU ... sincerely, Captain Obvious

But for me, the most "interesting" MVFC game this week is UNI at ISUb. For me, I want to see if UNI is going to become the UNI i thought they were coming into this season .. I picked them 2nd, though said field was wide open after NDSU. At same time, being an MVFC fan, I also want to see if ISUb has recovered from a very bad year and may surprise a few teams in lower half of MVFC this year.

So I'm looking forward to seeing how they both do .. that is, who shows up. With MoST also showing some competitiveness in their NAU game, the bottom of MVFC could be much improved this year.
This indeed. I think the Trees might be pretty good this year. Now watch them lose to UNI by 45 xlolx

TheKingpin28
September 27th, 2018, 11:26 AM
This indeed. I think the Trees might be pretty good this year. Now watch them lose to UNI by 45 xlolx

And then Grant Olson comes back home? xnodx

JayJ79
September 27th, 2018, 02:03 PM

The original plan was that both teams would have their idle/bye week this past weekend, so playing Thursday wouldn't be that big of a deal (and yes, UNI didn't mind having an extra day or two prior to hosting NDSU next week).

But then UNI couldn't find an opponent to play for a home game in Week 2 (and the notion of only 4 home games didn't sit well with many UNI fans), but they were finally able to schedule a home game with Hampton this past weekend. And I'm guessing the Thursday game was already agreed to at that point and Indiana State didn't want to move it ot a Saturday.

JayJ79
September 27th, 2018, 02:10 PM
First MVFC conference game of the year. weeeeee

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I bet they'll get pushback from the conference if they want that many (they only get 4 conference home games a year to begin with). I know Klieman doesn't even like late kickoffs on Saturday because it messes with their routine so I'm sure he'd hate these short weeks. Although once UND comes on board I would guess NDSU will play the eastern schools like Indiana St and YSU only about half the time anyway.
Maybe, Maybe not.

Travel certainly won't be a reason to not have Thursday games. It will always be a 6 PM Central Winning Time kick.

UNI flew out this morning - chartered a 737-800. It's a 50 minute flight from Waterloo/Cedar Falls's to Terre Haute. Wheels up was 9:21 CWT and touchdown was 10:11 CWT

They may not get a Dakota team on a Thursday, but I can't imagine a reason that the MVFC would say no, due to travel, to any Illinois school or YSU. MSU probably wouldn't make a difference either. Hell, from Fargo/Grand Forks is probably only a 2 to 2.5 hour flight. Fargo to Terre Haute is 700 miles, as the bird flies. Cedar Falls to Terre Haute is 360 - half the distance. Call it 2 hours.

You may see objection due to a short week, but it's going to take some pretty compelling evidence that it's going to cause major issues. The NFL does it. The MAC and Sun Belt do it (on Wednesday and even Tuesday). Every single FBS game plays midweek games

There are 71 midweek games the the rest of the season in the FBS

Tuesday

App State
@
Ark State

Troy
@
South Alabama

Kent St
@
Bowling Green

Miami (OH)
@
Buffalo

Kent St
@
Buffalo

Western Michigan
@
Ball St

Ball St
@
Miami (OH)

Northern Illinois
@
Western Michigan

Wednesday

Ball St
@
Toledo

Ohio
@
Miami (OH)

Toledo
@
Northern Illinois

Buffalo
@
Ohio

Miami (OH)
@
Northern Illinois

Thursday

UNC
@
Miami

Ga State
@
Troy

Tulsa
@
Houston

Texas Tech
@
TCU

Georgia So.
@
Texas St

Georgia State
@
Ark State

Stanford
@
Az State

Baylor
@
West Virginia

Ball St
@
Ohio

Toledo
@
Western Michigan

Georgia Tech
@
Va Tech

App State
@
Georgia Southern

Northern Illinois
@
Akron

Ohio
@
Western Michigan

Temple
@
Central Florida

Wake Forest
@
NC State

Toledo
@
Kent St

Tulane
@
Houston

Florida Atlantic
@
North Texas

Colorado St
@
Air Force

Miss St
@
Ole Miss

Friday

Memphis
@
Tulane

UCLA
@
Colorado

Georgia Tech
@
Louisville

Mid Tenn St
@
Marshall

Utah St
@
BYU

South Florida
@
Tulsa

Air Force
@
San Diego St

Arizona
@
Utah

Colorado St
@
Boise St

Air Force
@
UNLV

Louisiana Tech
@
Florida Atlantic

Miami
@
Boston College

Indiana
@
Minnesota

Wyoming
@
Colorado St

Utah
@
UCLA

Pittsburgh
@
Virginia

Western Kentucky
@
Mid. Tenn St

Colorado
@
Arizona

Louisville
@
Syracuse

Fresno State
@
Boise St

Memphis
@
SMU

Boise St
@
New Mexico

Central Florida
@
South Florida

Virginia
@
Virginia Tech

Akron
@
Ohio

Buffalo
@
Bowling Green

Central Michigan
@
Toledo

Eastern Michigan
@
Kent St

Eastern Carolina
@
Cincinnati

Houston
@
Memphis

Texas
@
Kansas

Nebraska
@
Iowa

Arkansas
@
Mizzou

Coastal Carolina
@
South Alabama

Oregon
@
Oregon St

Oklahoma
@
West Virginia

Washington
@
Washington State

While it is much less common at the FCS level, it's not unheard of. My guess is if Indiana State wants 2 of their home conference games on Thursday nights it won't cause too much stir.

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2018, 03:10 PM
I skipped down to post my theory, Thursday will keep us from fighting IU and Purdue within 1.5 hrs and Notre Dame which is closed enough for people to go to anywhere. they also have a lot of students go home, or did back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -

We will have to play VERY good to win this. I dont think we beat a UNI team that plays good.

Professor Chaos
September 27th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Maybe, Maybe not.

Travel certainly won't be a reason to not have Thursday games. It will always be a 6 PM Central Winning Time kick.

UNI flew out this morning - chartered a 737-800. It's a 50 minute flight from Waterloo/Cedar Falls's to Terre Haute. Wheels up was 9:21 CWT and touchdown was 10:11 CWT

They may not get a Dakota team on a Thursday, but I can't imagine a reason that the MVFC would say no, due to travel, to any Illinois school or YSU. MSU probably wouldn't make a difference either. Hell, from Fargo/Grand Forks is probably only a 2 to 2.5 hour flight. Fargo to Terre Haute is 700 miles, as the bird flies. Cedar Falls to Terre Haute is 360 - half the distance. Call it 2 hours.

You may see objection due to a short week, but it's going to take some pretty compelling evidence that it's going to cause major issues. The NFL does it. The MAC and Sun Belt do it (on Wednesday and even Tuesday). Every single FBS game plays midweek games

There are 71 midweek games the the rest of the season in the FBS

While it is much less common at the FCS level, it's not unheard of. My guess is if Indiana State wants 2 of their home conference games on Thursday nights it won't cause too much stir.
I'm not saying the conference office itself would have a problem with it, I'm saying the ADs within the conference would and that would be mostly because of input from the coaches who don't want their weekly routine effed with. Maybe Klieman is different from most coaches but I'm almost positive he would not be a fan of playing in Terre Haute on a Thursday due to the irregular week. If there was a bye before hand that's a different story and with an odd number of teams in the conference again when UND joins it might work out since someone will have to be on bye every week unless they can get an OOC game scheduled.

The vast majority of those FBS games are mid-week because they can get on TV that way. That's not happening in the MVFC so it's not really a good comparison.

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 04:11 PM
If big bad NDSU is afraid if Indiana State in a Thursday then there are some pretty serious mental complex issues to be looked at.

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I wouldnt worry about what Kleman thinks. He wont be there much longer anyway

CappinHard
September 27th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Any predictions for the game tonight? I see the spread is 17.5, but I feel like that's a touch high... maybe 14 would be right. Seems like Indiana State might have something this year, enough to at least stay within a couple scores. I'll go with UNI winning 35-21.

Sycamore62
September 27th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Any predictions for the game tonight? I see the spread is 17.5, but I feel like that's a touch high... maybe 14 would be right. Seems like Indiana State might have something this year, enough to at least stay within a couple scores. I'll go with UNI winning 35-21.

It was 19.5 so thats good. If the OLine gets a push we will have a chance to make it close. Otherwise it might get out of hand

Professor Chaos
September 27th, 2018, 04:30 PM
If big bad NDSU is afraid if Indiana State in a Thursday then there are some pretty serious mental complex issues to be looked at.

xlolx

I wouldn't say afraid, I would say agitated.

I wouldnt worry about what Kleman thinks. He wont be there much longer anyway
Maybe he is the exception that really likes his team to stick to their road routine. I get the feeling he isn't but I'm sure it'll get worked out one way or another amongst the conference and member schools regardless of what I think the complaints will be.

JayJ79
September 27th, 2018, 04:33 PM
I dont think we beat a UNI team that plays good.

I suppose there is a chance that UNI plays good this game, but it would be the first time this year that they do so (at least for a full game)

cx500d
September 27th, 2018, 05:38 PM
I skipped down to post my theory, Thursday will keep us from fighting IU and Purdue within 1.5 hrs and Notre Dame which is closed enough for people to go to anywhere. they also have a lot of students go home, or did back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -

We will have to play VERY good to win this. I dont think we beat a UNI team that plays.

FYP

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Welp.....

This game shoulda been 45-3 at the end of 3. Instead it was 26-0 (I’m counting the FG 10 seconds into the 4th as part of it)

ISUb isn’t that good.

Or good at all.

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 08:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180928/9f41ed76f41807424531323c20ee4caf.png

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Final

Indiana State had 90 second half yards

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180928/412376a593ed27ed88cd15811b0a4498.png

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Also to note for 4th and **** because he loves to dissect Dunne

3rd straight game over 200 yards.

Played 2 quarters against Iowa
Played 2.5 against Hampton
3.5 tonight but UNI essentially stopped passing in the third

Of his 8 completions 5 were drops - 3 of those in his first 6 passes.

Schism55
September 27th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Welp, I wasn't too far off xeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2018, 09:23 PM
I can't tell if people are sandbagging UNI or if this is part of a usual pattern that I'm ignorant of or if they are good this year.

Back to back shut outs isn't anything to sneeze at, even if the opponents aren't good. I watched a few plays of this game and UNI's run game looked solid but I also don't have a typical baseline to base that off of

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Kemo
September 27th, 2018, 09:29 PM
I can't tell if people are sandbagging UNI or if this is part of a usual pattern that I'm ignorant of or if they are good this year.

Back to back shut outs isn't anything to sneeze at, even if the opponents aren't good. I watched a few plays of this game and UNI's run game looked solid but I also don't have a typical baseline to base that off of

UNI generally likes to forget how to play football over the offseason, then quickly remembers when their backs are against the wall. This pattern has been as predictable as sunrises for almost a decade now.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 27th, 2018, 09:33 PM

UNI plays football every year like a a young stud has sex with an ugly broad who has a great body. Allow me to elaborate.

Usually starts off pretty weak. Lets face it, it's tough to get going at the beginning. After a little bit though things start going well. Tooo well and before they know it they're out of steam and spent, long before the "big moment" in the playoffs. They can't handle success which is why they're trying to lay the ugly broad to begin with.

2cents

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2018, 09:33 PM
UNI generally likes to forget how to play football over the offseason, then quickly remembers when their backs are against the wall. This pattern has been as predictable as sunrises for almost a decade now.

But then they periodically forget every now and then in some 4th quarter situations. Still a solid win for UNI...INSU isn't as bad as last year and they were held to a shutout.

grizband
September 27th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Also, as evidenced in the Montana game, UNI seems to make great second half adjustments.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CappinHard
September 27th, 2018, 10:44 PM
Seems like Indiana State might have something this year, enough to at least stay within a couple scores.

Or.... Maybe it's the same old ISUb.

Sycamore62
September 28th, 2018, 12:16 AM
We’re better. We just cant afford to lose any starters. That part is the same old stuff. I think we had a good coaching staff, they left for Georgia State then they hired a guy that was just coasting until his son got a job. You might note how the trajectory of program he left for (WKU) has gone since their newest coaching staff hire.

RabidRabbit
September 28th, 2018, 12:49 PM
We’re better. We just cant afford to lose any starters. That part is the same old stuff. I think we had a good coaching staff, they left for Georgia State then they hired a guy that was just coasting until his son got a job. You might note how the trajectory of program he left for (WKU) has gone since their newest coaching staff hire.

InSU looked absolutely dominated in the trenches vs UNI. IMHO, UNI may not fair well vs a Dakota quality trenches. We’ll find out over their next 3 games.

UNI looked like NDSU(vs Delaware) or SDSU (vs Mont St) last night. Always a tough game vs Panthers!

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2018, 02:23 PM
InSU looked absolutely dominated in the trenches vs UNI. IMHO, UNI may not fair well vs a Dakota quality trenches. We’ll find out over their next 3 games.

UNI looked like NDSU(vs Delaware) or SDSU (vs Mont St) last night. Always a tough game vs Panthers!

Their qb looked pretty good to me. If they could get him an o line they could be pretty solid.

Redbird 4th & short
September 28th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Also to note for 4th and **** because he loves to dissect Dunne

3rd straight game over 200 yards.

Played 2 quarters against Iowa
Played 2.5 against Hampton
3.5 tonight but UNI essentially stopped passing in the third

Of his 8 completions 5 were drops - 3 of those in his first 6 passes.

not sure how you meant this ... But I was optimistic about Dunne and UNI. and had them 2nd best in MVFC pre-season. i was simply surprised they were struggling out of the gate .. particularly game 1.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2018, 04:10 PM
not sure how you meant this ... But I was optimistic about Dunne and UNI. and had them 2nd best in MVFC pre-season. i was simply surprised they were struggling out of the gate .. particularly game 1.

To me they didn't look bad per se against the Griz, just unfocused and like they'd rather be doing anything other than playing a football game. At least in the first half.

caribbeanhen
September 28th, 2018, 05:33 PM

I lay money on Delaware beating Indiana State .... we will never see that game so it's a safe statement

clenz
September 28th, 2018, 05:46 PM
To me they didn't look bad per se against the Griz, just unfocused and like they'd rather be doing anything other than playing a football game. At least in the first half.

That’s a farley team on the road early in the season.

Iowa was a complete **** show in the first half. Hampton at home was ugly for a quarter and a half. Then it kicked in. Last night UNI didn’t really look engaged until about mid point second quarter.

If this team could figure out how to play a first quarter it’s a dangerous team.

The while first half against Montana wasn’t great, the first quarter was the difference. After the first quarter it was 23-10 UNI - 23-0 after half.

Right now UNI hasn’t given up a point in 9 quarters overall and the last 10 against the FCS. The last 10 fcs quarters UNI has outscores opponents 100-0, out gained opponents 1,150-510, since his benching at Montana Dunne is 50-75 (67%) for 611 yards (200+ ypg and 12+ YPC).

I know it’s been Hampton and Indiana State as 8 of those quarters. But what we saw against Montana in the first half would’ve lost to both of them.

I don’t have a ton of hope for beating either DSU, but our defense is good enough to do it.

grizband
September 28th, 2018, 07:32 PM
That’s a farley team on the road early in the season.

Iowa was a complete **** show in the first half. Hampton at home was ugly for a quarter and a half. Then it kicked in. Last night UNI didn’t really look engaged until about mid point second quarter.

If this team could figure out how to play a first quarter it’s a dangerous team.

The while first half against Montana wasn’t great, the first quarter was the difference. After the first quarter it was 23-10 UNI - 23-0 after half.

Right now UNI hasn’t given up a point in 9 quarters overall and the last 10 against the FCS. The last 10 fcs quarters UNI has outscores opponents 100-0, out gained opponents 1,150-510, since his benching at Montana Dunne is 50-75 (67%) for 611 yards (200+ ypg and 12+ YPC).

I know it’s been Hampton and Indiana State as 8 of those quarters. But what we saw against Montana in the first half would’ve lost to both of them.

I don’t have a ton of hope for beating either DSU, but our defense is good enough to do it.

Clenz, were you able to watch the UNI/Montana game? Unfortunately, I didn't have access to the game, and was surprised it went from such a beat down in the first half, to the Griz almost losing in the second half. However, your explanation above makes sense, as it was the same experience I noticed last night.

clenz
September 28th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I didn’t. I was in Fargo and couldn’t find a stream to work. It was 16-0 so fast I didn’t even try to find a stream. Went to bed at half time ish) and woke up to see the final

grizband
September 28th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I didn’t. I was in Fargo and couldn’t find a stream to work. It was 16-0 so fast I didn’t even try to find a stream. Went to bed at half time ish) and woke up to see the final

I had sort of the opposite experience. Was visiting family in Seattle, and noticed the Griz were up big, so I didn't make the trek out to find a bar playing the game. Then, after hanging out with family, I checked to see the Griz barely pulled it out.

superman7515
October 6th, 2018, 09:49 PM
Lots of talk about how bad Indiana State is, how easy it was for #20 Northern Iowa to defeat them on the road in a short week, how it should have been even worse but UNI took it easy on them since they don't have the players to keep up in the MVFC...

So how far does #3 South Dakota State fall for needing OT to win at home?

xlolx

Sycamore62
October 6th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Lots of talk about how bad Indiana State is, how easy it was for #20 Northern Iowa to defeat them on the road in a short week, how it should have been even worse but UNI took it easy on them since they don't have the players to keep up in the MVFC...

xlolx

We didnt lose 5 defensive starters this week

JacksFan40
October 6th, 2018, 09:53 PM

xlolx
It’s being discussed on the week score thread, I expect to fall 4-5 spots, though I’d say they deserve to drop 10 for that.

superman7515
October 6th, 2018, 09:56 PM
Apparently the laughing emoji fails to get across that I'm just busting balls. Carry on.

TheKingpin28
October 6th, 2018, 10:00 PM
It’s being discussed on the week score thread, I expect to fall 4-5 spots, though I’d say they deserve to drop 10 for that.

We have a gang of 6 and SDSU is in that gang. Most likely at the back of the line, but that is how I see it. Don't look now, but Towson is knocking on that door for entrance to the party.

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2018, 10:39 PM
NDSU beats UNI by 25 on the road, UNI beats Indiana St by 33 road, and Indiana St takes SDSU to OT on the road so NDSU will destroy SDSU at home right? Oh wait.... :p

POD Knows
October 6th, 2018, 10:48 PM
NDSU beats UNI by 25 on the road, UNI beats Indiana St by 33 road, and Indiana St takes SDSU to OT on the road so NDSU will destroy SDSU at home right? Oh wait.... :pThat is a pretty good deal but did that NDSU win today ever feel like 25.

Professor Chaos
October 6th, 2018, 11:06 PM
That is a pretty good deal but did that NDSU win today ever feel like 25.
It never did but that doesn't really discount how confounding the pretzel logic I laid out earlier is. It definitely illustrates how teams/games change week-to-week.