PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for Furman

bobbythekidd
March 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM
A very physical spring. What's the outlook for Fall??

Among the injured currently battling strains are rising sophomore tight ends Chris Truss (shoulder) and Larry Hedden (quadricep).

Hamstring pulls recently have hurt the performance of wide receivers R.J. Webb and Keiron Williams, also rising sophomores.

Wideout Adam Mims, who broke his leg in the Furman-North Carolina game early last season and has four years of eligibility remaining, injured his ankle playing intramural basketball over the winter.

With those five guys being injured, it takes away from the passing game and the threat of throwing the ball down the field because you're looking at those three wides being our speed guys," Lamb said.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703240315

MplsBison
March 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Playing intramural basketball?!

Come on coach, I know you're not running a prison but you can't let players just do whatever they want.

Kill'em
March 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
It is amazing how often that happens.

CSUBUCDAD
March 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I can understand why college and pro coaches would forbid certain activities. They have a tremendous investment in these guys and non football related injuries are the last thing they want to see take a player out of the game.

rokamortis
March 25th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Come on coach, I know you're not running a prison but you can't let players just do whatever they want.

That seems a little over the top. People get hurt doing all sorts of things. He could have easily twisted his ankle jogging too.

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I see no reason to keep them from playing intramural ball...

people get hurt walking across the street or getting in and out of the shower... let them student athletes and that is what student athletes do...

ButlerGSU
March 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
When I played soccer for Emmanuel College we were allowed to play Intramurals as long as it was not during the soccer season. If you expect your players to be Student Athletes you have to let them be students.

Bison05
March 25th, 2007, 12:53 PM

This coming from a fan, whose football coach not only lets our players play intramurals, but also loans his players to our basketball team to play in actual DI games.xnonox

MplsBison
March 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I can understand why college and pro coaches would forbid certain activities. They have a tremendous investment in these guys and non football related injuries are the last thing they want to see take a player out of the game.

Absolutely.

You only get to play football for 4 years.

You have the rest of your life to play pick up bball games.

swaghook
March 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
This coming from a fan, whose football coach not only lets our players play intramurals, but also loans his players to our basketball team to play in actual DI games.xnonox
++++
xthumbsupx

youwouldno
March 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
It's only Spring. Plenty of time for guys to get healthy. A healthy Mims would be nice though, he's explosive. Keiron Williams was hurt last year also and has good speed.

pcguy09
March 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
At PC players are allowed to play intramurals as long as they are not playing in their respective sport at the time or.. a football player cannot play intramural football.. ect. one of the guys on my intramural basktball team plays soccer for PC(also my roomate), but he dislocated his shoulder for the 3rd time the other day when he made a layup as time expired at the end of the game.. his shoulder dislocated when his hand hit the backboard...

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Mimms is Furman's version of Jayson Foster. A smaller, versatile receiver with great speed. He broke his leg against UNC so the conference didn't get much of a view.

Little banged up for the spring, but its still months away. Nothing is season ending. Everyone is supposed to be back for the summer.

Mountaineer#96
March 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM

I know for a fact that ASU football players are not supposed to be hitting the ski slopes up here just because of this.

SoCon48
March 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM
That seems a little over the top. People get hurt doing all sorts of things. He could have easily twisted his ankle jogging too.

And:

appfan2008

people get hurt walking across the street or getting in and out of the shower... let them student athletes and that is what student athletes do...

I got several sprains playing hoopball but never jogging or walking across the street. But of course, getting hit by a car playing basketball is pretty rare, too.

Kill'em
March 26th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Mimms is Furman's version of Jayson Foster. A smaller, versatile receiver with great speed. He broke his leg against UNC so the conference didn't get much of a view.

Little banged up for the spring, but its still months away. Nothing is season ending. Everyone is supposed to be back for the summer.
I guess we'll get to see him this year. I look foward to it. I know Jayson is.;)

Death Dealer
March 26th, 2007, 08:58 PM
They'll be alright.xcoolx

catbob
March 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
We had a lineman a few years ago have this same thing happen... I think it was Joe Hirst, who ended up winning the Rimington award the next year. Cat fans correct me if I'm wrong.

PaladinFan
March 26th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Over 90% of Furman students participate in intramural athletics, including the varsity athletes. I doubt this will deter any.

Mimms is fancy. Built in the mold of former Furman great Brian Bratton.

fuEMO
March 27th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I would consider Mims to be more in the Fowkles mold. Mims was the fastest player at Auburn and UAB camps. He's been descibed as having a rocket up his butt. I have no idea on speed numbers but new recruit Luke Rorech has the rep of being a real speed burner but he will play DB at Furman.

OL FU
March 27th, 2007, 07:28 AM
And to top it all off, my ankle has been hurting some too.xeekx

It has to be a concern (atfer hobbling through last year) although there is plenty of getting well time before the season.

appfan2008
March 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM
And:

appfan2008

I got several sprains playing hoopball but never jogging or walking across the street. But of course, getting hit by a car playing basketball is pretty rare, too.
All you need for an example is tha UNC mascot to realize that anything can happen to anybody

MarkCCU
March 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
They'll be alright come September. Meanwhile, I think if you're education is based on your ability to play a sport, then you have the responsibility to take great care of yourself, even if that means no intramurals.

Bud2003
March 28th, 2007, 07:41 AM
You'd be surprised how many coaches don't mind or even encourage engaging in other sports (especially basketball) during the off-season. Basketball not only helps with agility, explosiveness and conditioning, but it also promotes comaraderie.

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2007, 08:56 AM
You'd be surprised how many coaches don't mind or even encourage engaging in other sports (especially basketball) during the off-season. Basketball not only helps with agility, explosiveness and conditioning, but it also promotes comaraderie.

Of course playing other sports keeps you in shape but helps improve areas' off season but the risk is there. I think if you are getting an education because you can play a sport, than you must do anything and everything to protect yourself.

lizrdgizrd
March 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Of course playing other sports keeps you in shape but helps improve areas' off season but the risk is there. I think if you are getting an education because you can play a sport, than you must do anything and everything to protect yourself.
I think it's important to remember that these folks are still students and part of that condition means that they should be able to participate in all aspects of school. During their scholarship season they shouldn't play intramurals, but outside of that they should be able to play whatever sports are available.

Of course they can be responsible and not play sports if they're concerned about injuries costing them their scholarship, but we shouldn't limit them automatically.

MarkCCU
March 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I think it's important to remember that these folks are still students and part of that condition means that they should be able to participate in all aspects of school. During their scholarship season they shouldn't play intramurals, but outside of that they should be able to play whatever sports are available.

Of course they can be responsible and not play sports if they're concerned about injuries costing them their scholarship, but we shouldn't limit them automatically.

Thats true, I'm all for taking part in school activities but when your body is your scholarship I suggest caution