PDA

View Full Version : Love for the ASU Band from Coach Moore

ASU_Chad
March 24th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Per GOASU:

"In addition to the players and coaches, head coach Jerry Moore presented rings to team chaplain Reggie Hunt, ASU marching band director Scott Tobias, director of athletics Charlie Cobb and Chancellor Kenneth Peacock."

I am curious to know if it common practice for Marching Band Directors to receive National Championship Rings. If anyone has any info, I would love to know.....

HiHiYikas
March 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Per GOASU:

"In addition to the players and coaches, head coach Jerry Moore presented rings to team chaplain Reggie Hunt, ASU marching band director Scott Tobias, director of athletics Charlie Cobb and Chancellor Kenneth Peacock."

I am curious to know if it common practice for Marching Band Directors to receive National Championship Rings. If anyone has any info, I would love to know.....
I wonder how one lands that job. I used to be a minor-league baseball chaplain - I really enjoyed it. If I find a church placement in the High Country, I'll have to check into that one.

tarmac
March 25th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Coach Moore's ring

CSUBUCDAD
March 25th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Not sure if it is common practice but I salute Coach Moore for recognizing their efforts. Those kids bust their ass perfecting their performance and support their programs throughout the season. Good on you Coach Moore for recognizing the other components that make up a successful football program.

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Dr. T as he is known to us is the man... so congratulations to him... all 5 feet of him!

sorry I am just picking he is the best band director I have ever had

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hell, being a former member of the marching bad at Nicholls State, I would have LOVED just a little recognition from the team and ESPECIALLY the AD since the team was pretty bad in my days there. KUDOS to App State for recognizing ALL of the components that make for a truly great college experience. But I think ALL of the bands members should get rings (I know it would be costly, just my emotions talking)!

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Our ad and head coach and everyone involved recognizes our band a lot and it is really nice to get that recognition

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM
DEFINITELY!!! As a member of a marching band, you put it in a lot of sweat and effort into performing each week and usually get very little recognition since people are usually going to restrooms and concession stands during halftime. However, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that doesn't like when a band is in the stands during the games, playing fight songs, leading cheers and just generating excitement and adding to the atmosphere. Bands are just one of the many things that make the college game superior to the pros. And it's surprising how much just a simple thank you can do for a band member. So, let the bands know how much you appreciate them!

james_lawfirm
March 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM
DEFINITELY!!! As a member of a marching band, you put it in a lot of sweat and effort into performing each week and usually get very little recognition since people are usually going to restrooms and concession stands during halftime. However, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that doesn't like when a band is in the stands during the games, playing fight songs, leading cheers and just generating excitement and adding to the atmosphere. Bands are just one of the many things that make the college game superior to the pros. And it's surprising how much just a simple thank you can do for a band member. So, let the bands know how much you appreciate them!

Ditto!! ASU's Marching Band is top notch. And, you are right about the band generating excitement in the stands. After listening to a number of "fight songs", ASU's is one of the better ones. I think it is called "Hi Hi Yikas"; but it is really cool when the band breaks into it before the game.

I was pleasantly surprised at Richie Williams' (ASU's QB) comments about the band after the '05 championship game. To me there were two messages there: 1) Richie Williams is a great guy, with a concern for others (even after engineering his school's first nat'l championship); and 2) the Marching Band really does deserve credit for its efforts to make every game day special.

gvilleapp
March 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
My wife and I sit about 4-5 rows behind the Band of Distinction at home games and we love it. I watch the game and my wife watches the band about 95% of the time and we're both happy. The band is one of the big things that makes ASU football so special and enjoyable to all of us and it's great the athletic department and Chancellor Peacock recognize that and support the band so well.

Sir William
March 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Speaking as an alumnus from a school in which the band is wonderful in a concerto setting, but awful as a Saturday afternoon marching band (and it's not that Furman's band can't march...the problem is they have no spirit, nor do they have a clue as to how to help to keep the fans pumped up), I always enjoy going to Boone and hearing App's band rock.

Great atmosphere...great marching band! Well-deserved. Congrats! (I'm humming the App fight song even now.)

james_lawfirm
March 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
My wife and I sit about 4-5 rows behind the Band of Distinction at home games and we love it. I watch the game and my wife watches the band about 95% of the time and we're both happy. The band is one of the big things that makes ASU football so special and enjoyable to all of us and it's great the athletic department and Chancellor Peacock recognize that and support the band so well.

We sit behind the band, but more under the old (now gone) press box. We started bringing our boys to ASU football games when they were about 6 months old. (Now they are 11 & 13). At first, all they watched was the band and the flags. Then, at some point in their development (as ASU fans), they noticed there was a GAME going on (as opposed to a band with flags). We all still enjoy the band when it performs at halftime and during the games. And, if you're wondering, my sons know more today about ASU football than many posters here! For that matter, they also know the difference between a sousaphone and a tuba.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 12:13 AM
glad to hear so many people support and enjoy the band

BigApp
March 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM
my wife is enamored with our band too!

bobcatfan06
March 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
That is a bad arse ring.

Lots of bling bling.