PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston RB Remus Bulmer To Transfer

Professor
September 25th, 2018, 04:35 PM
On Monday, Sam Houston State (https://herosports.com/colleges/sam-houston-state) running back Remus Bulmer (https://herosports.com/colleges/team-player-stats/remus-bulmer) -- one of the top returning career rushers in the FCS (https://herosports.com/fcs-football) -- reached out to HERO Sports and said he is going to sit out the rest of 2018 and will take his redshirt this year, then look to play his senior season elsewhere in 2019.

The back had been a consistent contributor from 2015 until this weekend, making a name for himself as a true freshman when he went for 100-plus rushing yards in a playoff win over that year's Big Sky Champion -- Southern Utah (https://herosports.com/colleges/southern-utah). He followed that up with an All Southland Conference season as a sophomore in 2016, leading the Bearkats in rushing.
"It was just mainly a personal decision for my future, I just felt it would be better for my future to sit it out and get an opportunity to show what I can actually do," Bulmer told HERO Sports Monday night. "After three games, it has zero things to do with the outcomes of the games whether we lost or won. I just feel like I can contribute more as a senior. It just seems like I'm playing less this year than previous years. I've never been a selfish player, I know I can help more. I can do that ... I've led the conference one year (sophomore year)."

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-sam-houston-state-remus-bulmer-transferring-ajaj

Daytripper
September 25th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Yeah. Not sure what to make of this. Is he a disgruntled whiner who can't handle adversity? Or, are there deeper issues personally or with the program?

Professor
September 25th, 2018, 04:49 PM
I wonder does he go FBS. He will be a graduate transfer so it shall be interesting if he can move up without penalty

TheKingpin28
September 25th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Uh, there is a 70 post thread on this already.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Daytripper
December 7th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Remus is going to The Citadel...

https://twitter.com/RemusBulmer/status/1071105179821453312

cx500d
December 7th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Remus is going to The Citadel...

https://twitter.com/RemusBulmer/status/1071105179821453312
Makes no sense.

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Hmmmm....”The Chattadel” is starting to have a nice ‘ring’ to it.

better than The Citanooga, I think.

KatDogs? BullCocks? BearDogs? GameDogs?

...not sure.

dbackjon
December 7th, 2018, 05:50 PM
If he goes there, and is not a freshman, is he still a knob?

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 05:56 PM
If he goes there, and is not a freshman, is he still a knob?Nope - no military requirements at all. Not part of Corps of Cadets. Just like a grad student at Chatt, JaxSt, SHSU, or any other non-military school

F'N Hawks
December 7th, 2018, 06:09 PM
He makes it sound like he's getting a degree from Stanford or something. It's the Citadel.

kdinva
December 7th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Nope - no military requirements at all. Not part of Corps of Cadets.

....just like three of their Hoops performers.......two are #1 and #3 in scoring.....

Panther88
December 8th, 2018, 10:42 AM
He’s a graduated bearkat alum who is furthering his academic career at a great school in Citadel. Both alumni bases should be thrilled they helped and will continue to help mold yet another high character young man as he completes yet another educational level.

Undergrads aren’t automatically married to their undergrad institutions’ grad programs lol xlolx . It’s neat that the ncaa allows for grad txfers w/out penalty on athletic participation. I enjoy being a buckeye and bison alum until the kin grad alums start w/ the arrogant and narcissistic demeaning of former Div I-aa/current FCS schools and Div II schools academics and athletics. xsmhx

ElCid
December 8th, 2018, 12:30 PM
He makes it sound like he's getting a degree from Stanford or something. It's the Citadel.

Yes it is. Obviously you don't have a clue.

ElCid
December 8th, 2018, 12:31 PM
He’s a graduated bearkat alum who is furthering his academic career at a great school in Citadel. Both alumni bases should be thrilled they helped and will continue to help mold yet another high character young man as he completes yet another educational level.

Undergrads aren’t automatically married to their undergrad institutions’ grad programs lol xlolx . It’s neat that the ncaa allows for grad txfers w/out penalty on athletic participation. I enjoy being a buckeye and bison alum until the kin grad alums start w/ the arrogant and narcissistic demeaning of former Div I-aa/current FCS schools and Div II schools academics and athletics. xsmhx

Seems like a really smart young man. I am excited we got him. I am sure he will do well on and off the field.

gofurman
December 8th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Ive taken courses at Furman Citadel and Clemson. Furman was BY FAR the hardest. Trust me. I've been to all three for at least a few courses. That's a fact. NOT a smack. Really. No need to get defensive. Friend of mine left Furman with a 1.0. Finished Citadel with a 3.6.

Thats said I hope this guy does well at Citadel. Great pick up !

one year left to play at Citadel, right?

Panther88
December 8th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Seems like a really smart young man. I am excited we got him. I am sure he will do well on and off the field.

He’s a high character young man and I’m sure he’ll be an asset and positive contributor to the great Citadel school and athletic program.

Where are his bearkat alums supporting their alum’s positive transition to another great institution? xsmhx

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Is it really a “The Citadel” education if you don’t embrace the ENTIRE The Citadel experience? Bulmar’s comment read something like “ha ha I don’t have to do the whole military thing, nah nah na nah nah”

citdog
December 8th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Hmmmm....”The Chattadel” is starting to have a nice ‘ring’ to it.

better than The Citanooga, I think.

KatDogs? BullCocks? BearDogs? GameDogs?

...not sure.

furman sucks. Grad transfers are perfectly fine and within the rules. Bulmer will be a nice addition if he is willing to block.

citdog
December 8th, 2018, 07:25 PM

Which is a FAR better school than yours or SHSU...

citdog
December 8th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Ive taken courses at Furman Citadel and Clemson. Furman was BY FAR the hardest. Trust me. I've been to all three for at least a few courses. That's a fact. NOT a smack. Really. No need to get defensive. Friend of mine left Furman with a 1.0. Finished Citadel with a 3.6.

Ha. You should be telling jokes like that on a stage. The only thing hard about furman is the sucking...

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 08:14 PM
1. Grad transfers are perfectly fine and within the rules.

2. Bulmer will be a nice addition if he is willing to block.

1. Yep - If CIT Alumni want to say they are ‘all good’ with continuing the expansion of the 1 year Rent-a-Player program, then it doesn’t bother FUBeAR one little bit. That said, FUBeAR also plans to mention it from time-to-time because FUBeAR knows CIT Alumni, in their hearts-of-hearts, are NOT ‘all good’ with it...for many reasons, which we all know, but I shall not enumerate.

I did make a decision though, CIT’s Official FUBeAR name is now...

THE Chattadel KatDogs

2. Sounds like he’s willing to not quit the Team IF he gets at least 20 carries / game.

”I just felt like I had to leave to better my future. It wasn’t something that I wanted to do, but I wanted to be able to get a shot because I came to play football. I want to go somewhere where I can get my carries up and show exactly what I can do because I’m looking on TV and guys are getting 20 or 25 [carries] and I’m like ‘Man, I should be doing this.’ I have a 6.3 [yards per carry] average this year and 5.6 my freshman year and I’m like ‘What would it be like if I had 20 carries?’”

3. Welcome back! Missed you.

Rjones61
December 8th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Don't know a single thing about Citadel academics, but sounds to me as if he is saying that he was pressured not to make academics a priority and would like to focus more on getting a degree than being a football player.

citdog
December 8th, 2018, 08:25 PM
1. Yep - If CIT Alumni want to say they are ‘all good’ with continuing the expansion of the 1 year Rent-a-Player program, then it doesn’t bother FUBeAR one little bit. That said, FUBeAR also plans to mention it from time-to-time because FUBeAR knows CIT Alumni, in their hearts-of-hearts, are NOT ‘all good’ with it...for many reasons, which we all know, but I shall not enumerate.

2. Sounds like he’s willing to not quit the Team IF he gets at least 20 carries / game.

”I just felt like I had to leave to better my future. It wasn’t something that I wanted to do, but I wanted to be able to get a shot because I came to play football. I want to go somewhere where I can get my carries up and show exactly what I can do because I’m looking on TV and guys are getting 20 or 25 [carries] and I’m like ‘Man, I should be doing this.’ I have a 6.3 [yards per carry] average this year and 5.6 my freshman year and I’m like ‘What would it be like if I had 20 carries?’”

1. Plenty of Charleston County School District teachers and Administrators hold a Master's Degree from The Citadel. None of them ever braced for a second.

2. furman sucks. also mercer

citdog
December 8th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Don't know a single thing about Citadel academics, but sounds to me as if he is saying that he was pressured not to make academics a priority and would like to focus more on getting a degree than being a football player.

Dude already has an undergrad degree. He is seeking a graduate degree.

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Makes me wonder if Wofford had graduate programs if he would have come our way.

That's a completely different world than the one we're living in though

CID1990
December 8th, 2018, 08:40 PM
He’s a traditional offense running back. Being an A back in an option offense is a different ball of wax. He will need to throw a lot of blocks....

(my autocorrect turned blocks into “blacks” and I had a good chuckle over the direction of this thread if I hadn’t caught it)

We have a full stable of running backs so there’s no guarantees that he will even start, but his head seems to be in the right place and that is the key to being a good fit at El Cid. Welcome aboard!

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM
1. Plenty of Charleston County School District teachers and Administrators hold a Master's Degree from The Citadel. None of them ever braced for a second.

1. Well then, with just those Master’s studies at The Citadel, I’m sure, as a Ring-wearing Alum, you feel, without any reservations, they each have absolutely earned the right & privilege to wear your “C” on their helmet; the words “Honor,” “Duty,” and “Respect” on their uniforms; and to represent to the world everything dear that you believe The Citadel stands for.

OK.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/yok.gif

ElCid
December 8th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Is it really a “The Citadel” education if you don’t embrace the ENTIRE The Citadel experience? Bulmar’s comment read something like “ha ha I don’t have to do the whole military thing, nah nah na nah nah”

Sure it's not the Corps, but a Masters from The Citadel is nice to have. My mother in law got one there. I didn't get that from his comments at all.

ElCid
December 8th, 2018, 09:33 PM

Yup, my mother in law for one. Got it way back in late 70s.

ElCid
December 8th, 2018, 09:36 PM

THE Chattadel KatDogs

Are you serious or just being you? Rent a player? Really? So Furman and Mercer never had a grad student transfers? Interesting.

ngineer
December 8th, 2018, 09:38 PM

THE Chattadel KatDogs

Sounds like it's all about him....

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Are you serious or just being you? Rent a player? Really? So Furman and Mercer never had a grad student transfers? Interesting.
Furman & Mercer expect their Students & Student Athletes (undergraduates & graduates) to go to class, make adequate grades, progress toward graduation/graduate, stay out of trouble, participate in their sports (if applicable) and not to do anything which might reflect negatively on their universities or athletics programs.

My perception of The Citadel has always been that Cadet Students & Cadet Student Athletes have had those expectations plus rather significant additional expectations. I’ve heard a lot (and I mean a WHOLE LOT) about those additional expectations for 40 years. And those additional expectations & the traits that those additional expectations are believed to engender - traits such as Honor, Duty, and Respect - have always been, unquestioningly, ascribed to Student Athletes from The Citadel and to the Teams they comprise.

Fair enough, don’t like ‘em at all, but absolutely respect the path & additional challenges they have chosen to accept.

If, as an Alumus of The Citadel, you’re willing to accept that that the Football Teams that represent The Citadel are becoming more & more made up of young men that haven’t really done & aren’t really doing anything much different at all from the young men that make up Furman’s & Mercer’s Teams, and support the idea of those not-so-unlike-so-many-others young men wearing those words on the nameplates of their Citadel Football uniforms, then that’s perfectly OK with FUBeAR. I’ll look forward to not hearing about it.

But, it does, honestly, surprise me. Perhaps, I’ve held Citadel Football in too high regard all of these years.

citdog
December 8th, 2018, 10:33 PM

**** Bro they both have had undergrad transfers. It's like they misrember Dingleberry Martin matriculating as a freshman at furman.... Baptists gonna Baptist...

citdog
December 8th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Furman & Mercer expect their Students & Student Athletes (undergraduates & graduates) to go to class, make adequate grades, progress toward graduation/graduate, stay out of trouble, participate in their sports (if applicable) and not to do anything which might reflect negatively on their universities or athletics programs.

My perception of The Citadel has always been that Cadet Students & Cadet Student Athletes have had those expectations plus rather significant additional expectations. I’ve heard a lot (and I mean a WHOLE LOT) about those additional expectations for 40 years. And those additional expectations & the traits that those additional expectations are believed to engender - traits such as Honor, Duty, and Respect - have always been, unquestioningly, ascribed to Student Athletes from The Citadel and to the Teams they comprise.

Fair enough, don’t like ‘em at all, but absolutely respect the path & additional challenges they have chosen to accept.

If, as an Alumus of The Citadel, you’re willing to accept that that the Football Teams that represent The Citadel are becoming more & more made up of young men that haven’t really done & aren’t really doing anything much different at all from the young men that make up Furman’s & Mercer’s Teams, and support the idea of those not-so-unlike-so-many-others young men wearing those words on the nameplates of their Citadel Football uniforms, then that’s perfectly OK with FUBeAR. I’ll look forward to not hearing about it.

But, it does, honestly, surprise me. Perhaps, I’ve held Citadel Football in too high regard all of these years.

Which school did Dingleberry Martin start at????

CID1990
December 9th, 2018, 04:47 AM

We have had 3-4 grad transfers on the team each season for several years now - that hardly constitutes being “made up more and more” of student athletes who don’t participate in the cadet system.

It has also been controversial among the alumni but we seem to have reached at least a consensus that if we are going to take grad transfers that they at least “fit” in with the cadets. We have had a good bit of success attracting precisely that kind of graduate athlete. This guy is apparently no exception.

I’m really not seeing how this is a thing, TBH

cx500d
December 9th, 2018, 05:19 AM
We have had 3-4 grad transfers on the team each season for several years now - that hardly constitutes being “made up more and more” of student athletes who don’t participate in the cadet system.

It has also been controversial among the alumni but we seem to have reached at least a consensus that if we are going to take grad transfers that they at least “fit” in with the cadets. We have had a good bit of success attracting precisely that kind of graduate athlete. This guy is apparently no exception.

I’m really not seeing how this is a thing, TBH
Do the grad transfers supply the nobs with alcohol and cigarettes?

walliver
December 9th, 2018, 09:26 AM
The Citadel has attracted better graduate transfers than this in the past.
Jeff Klein transferred from Auburn and set passing records while leading his team to a 3-9 record.
Willie Simmons transferred from Clemson and threw the ball all over the field while leading his team to a 6-6 record the next year.
Bulmer won't have to wear the bellhop uniform, and likely will contribute to the team. The real question is whether or not he can adapt to the triple option. Although the Citadel could easily add a few traditional formations to their gameplan for Bulmer, their offensive line is optimized for the TO.

CID1990
December 9th, 2018, 10:12 AM
The Citadel has attracted better graduate transfers than this in the past.
Jeff Klein transferred from Auburn and set passing records while leading his team to a 3-9 record.
Willie Simmons transferred from Clemson and threw the ball all over the field while leading his team to a 6-6 record the next year.
Bulmer won't have to wear the bellhop uniform, and likely will contribute to the team. The real question is whether or not he can adapt to the triple option. Although the Citadel could easily add a few traditional formations to their gameplan for Bulmer, their offensive line is optimized for the TO.

Its like I’ve already said - it remains to be seen if he can play A back and spend half his time blocking

Add to that the fact that we have a full stable of very good running backs... it isn’t even a given he’ll start, although I certainly think he’ll be in the running

walliver
December 9th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Makes me wonder if Wofford had graduate programs if he would have come our way.

That's a completely different world than the one we're living in though

Furman has graduate programs, but I am not aware of any significant graduate transfers to FU.
The Citadel, on the other hand, has more attractive graduate programs, including engineering. I have met a lot of Vermin grads over the years, but most of them have graduate degrees from other schools. I am not aware of meeting anyone with an FU graduate degree - I don't spend much time with high school band directors, and school teachers with Masters degrees tend to stay local. I suspect if Wofford did offer graduate degrees, ours would be more like FU's than El Cid's. It is a moot point anyway. We can't out-engineer Clemson, Converse already offers a MAT, and just about every small school in the Upstate has a MBA campus in a strip mall somewhere.

From a football standpoint, I wouldn't think Wofford, with our running back by committee philosophy, would be particularly attractive. I would have thought the same about the Citadel, however. From a football-only standpoint, WCU would have been a great choice. With Bulmer and Adams sharing a backfield, they might have been able to score more points than their defense gives up.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Furman has graduate programs, but I am not aware of any significant graduate transfers to FU.
The Citadel, on the other hand, has more attractive graduate programs, including engineering. I have met a lot of Vermin grads over the years, but most of them have graduate degrees from other schools. I am not aware of meeting anyone with an FU graduate degree - I don't spend much time with high school band directors, and school teachers with Masters degrees tend to stay local. I suspect if Wofford did offer graduate degrees, ours would be more like FU's than El Cid's. It is a moot point anyway. We can't out-engineer Clemson, Converse already offers a MAT, and just about every small school in the Upstate has a MBA campus in a strip mall somewhere.

From a football standpoint, I wouldn't think Wofford, with our running back by committee philosophy, would be particularly attractive. I would have thought the same about the Citadel, however. From a football-only standpoint, WCU would have been a great choice. With Bulmer and Adams sharing a backfield, they might have been able to score more points than their defense gives up.

Furman, if I’m not mistaken, offers graduate degrees in Education (a few different flavors of those) and in Chemistry. There once was a joint Clemson & Furman (later just Clemson) MBA program, with classes on Furman’s campus...which FUBeAR availed himself of during his 5th year of ball, as perhaps, the original kinda sorta Graduate Transfer...nobody put FUBeAR on ESPN though as they did FU’s QB this year, for attending Clemson & playing for Furman (just as FUBeAR did)...OL, not QB, I guess...well, that, and ESPN didn’t exist...but I digress.

Back to CIT though...Klein & Simmons were 2002 & 2003...almost as out of relevance as FUBeAR

A quick review of CIT’s historical rosters on their Football website, looking back to 2010 shows only 1 Graduate Transfer (from SC State) on the 2015 Team. There was a GR-TR Kicker listed on the 2016 Team Roster as a Sr; so there may have been others, but FUBeAR couldn’t find them.

There are 4 Graduate Transfers listed on the 2018 Roster. 3 of those GR-TR’s were announced in June of 2018 & 1 in August, just before Fall camp began. Now, it’s December before the 2019 season & a very high profille Rent-a-Player heading toward CIT has been announced. How many more between now & August?

To FUBeAR, this data appears to be trending toward “more and more?”

Hey - 5 JUCO’s in AZ just dropped Football. If all those players wanna play for CIT & CIT wants to sign ‘em all & finds some ‘workaround’ to get them on the field, inside or outside of their Corps of Cadets / “Whole Person” system, FUBeAR don’t care.

I just think the Alumni would though.

dogfan1987
December 9th, 2018, 03:13 PM

That's what I love about Furman grads. FU had a basketball player stay in school for a year and half that couldn't speak English. He would throw down a double/double and the radio network would have to give the award of the day to the next highest scorer because the kid couldn't be interviewed on the radio.

ElCid
December 10th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Furman, if I’m not mistaken, offers graduate degrees in Education (a few different flavors of those) and in Chemistry. There once was a joint Clemson & Furman (later just Clemson) MBA program, with classes on Furman’s campus...which FUBeAR availed himself of during his 5th year of ball, as perhaps, the original kinda sorta Graduate Transfer...nobody put FUBeAR on ESPN though as they did FU’s QB this year, for attending Clemson & playing for Furman (just as FUBeAR did)...OL, not QB, I guess...well, that, and ESPN didn’t exist...but I digress.

Back to CIT though...Klein & Simmons were 2002 & 2003...almost as out of relevance as FUBeAR

A quick review of CIT’s historical rosters on their Football website, looking back to 2010 shows only 1 Graduate Transfer (from SC State) on the 2015 Team. There was a GR-TR Kicker listed on the 2016 Team Roster as a Sr; so there may have been others, but FUBeAR couldn’t find them.

There are 4 Graduate Transfers listed on the 2018 Roster. 3 of those GR-TR’s were announced in June of 2018 & 1 in August, just before Fall camp began. Now, it’s December before the 2019 season & a very high profille Rent-a-Player heading toward CIT has been announced. How many more between now & August?

To FUBeAR, this data appears to be trending toward “more and more?”

Hey - 5 JUCO’s in AZ just dropped Football. If all those players wanna play for CIT & CIT wants to sign ‘em all & finds some ‘workaround’ to get them on the field, inside or outside of their Corps of Cadets / “Whole Person” system, FUBeAR don’t care.

I just think the Alumni would though.

We have had a few over the last few years. I think 2018 was the highest with 4. It added some depth at specific positions. There is no doubt that some recruiting occurred for those positions. But I am not concerned at all. Grad school is grad school. As long as they go to class and are pursuing their degree it is not a big deal to this grad. It is not like The Citadel Graduate programs will ONLY accepts those who were undergrads at The Citadel. It accepts anyone who is qualified. That this includes football players with a year remaining on their eligibility is not as big of an issue to Cid grads as it appears to be for you.

Now, that said, "if" it appears that "most" are just doing the min and leaving without achieving their degree, I might question the situation. But I don't have stats on that currently. I may have to ask. I say most, because I know that many people pursuing advanced degrees sometimes bounce between programs. I know I did. It isn't just a football issue. But I certainly would't want it to be the majority of folks. And before you get too all high and mighty, I would say that there are a lot of schools, including SOCON schools who have a lot of undergrad transfers on their rosters, which I feel is a much bigger issue in regard to player transfers than a graduate program.

Also, just FYI, and I know your eye isn't trained to pick on it, the quick way to identify a grad transfer on The Citadel roster, is to look for a civilian coat and tie versus the standard uniform obviously or the trademark blue blazer worn by the seniors. Just FYI.:D

gofurman
December 10th, 2018, 10:40 PM
That's what I love about Furman grads. FU had a basketball player stay in school for a year and half that couldn't speak English. He would throw down a double/double and the radio network would have to give the award of the day to the next highest scorer because the kid couldn't be interviewed on the radio.

What basketball player? What was his name?

gofurman
December 10th, 2018, 10:44 PM
**** Bro they both have had undergrad transfers. It's like they misrember Dingleberry Martin matriculating as a freshman at furman.... Baptists gonna Baptist...

"Citadel knowledge." I think that's one of them oxyMorons. LOL

Ingle Martin only played two years for Furman. He was NOT A FRESHMAN at Furman. His Furman tenure was only two years - as a Junior and Senior. 2004 / 05.

Proof - (Ingle was at Florida for three years ).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingle_Martin

a lot of need to have to correct Citadel people. Ignorance is annoying