PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-24

JALMOND
September 24th, 2018, 10:25 PM
What we didn't know from the non-conference season, we probably know a little bit more now. Eastern Washington seems to be really good, Portland State seems to be really bad, and the rest are floating somewhere in between, except for the wildcard, North Dakota, who seems to have some questions of their own. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only. Four teams are taking this weekend off and Northern Colorado gets North Dakota.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, beat Cal Poly at home 70-17, this week at Montana State---The Eagles seem to be soaring high after dismantling a good Cal Poly team last week. Can anyone touch them? They have a tough road conference game this week.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week, beat Northern Colorado at home 45-28, this week, bye---The Wildcats grounded out a tougher than expected win at home last weekend. They are getting their questions answered on offense and thus are becoming a good team.

3. UC-Davis (4)---Last week, beat Idaho at home 44-21, this week, bye---The Aggies put the hammer down on Idaho last week and then cruised. They have answered many offseason questions in a positive way and are on their way to a good season.

4. Montana State (6)---Last week, won at Portland State 43-23, this week Eastern Washington at home---No looking ahead for the Bobcats last week as they took care of business and got a good road conference win. They now welcome EWU to their house.

5. Montana (5)---Last week, beat Sacramento State at home 41-34, this week at Cal Poly---Don't give up on the Grizzlies or they will come back and take the victory from your hands. They looked strong in getting a good home win, now they go out on the road.

6. Sacramento State (3)---Last week, lost at Montana 41-34, this week, bye---The Hornets were hoping to get their first win ever in Missoula, but still came away empty handed. They will be taking this week off to try to bounce back and prepare for the stretch run.

7. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week, beat Southern Utah at home 31-23, this week at Idaho State---Are things turning around for the Lumberjacks, now that we are in conference play? They're hoping so, but they have a tough road game coming up.

8. Idaho State (12)---Last week, won at North Dakota 25-21, this week Northern Arizona at home---Talk about a confidence builder. The Bengals, probably given up for dead early on, came through in a big way for a good road win. They are brimming with confidence now.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week, lost at Weber State 45-28, this week North Dakota at home---Same story, different verse. The Bears played tough enough to win the game only to see it slip out of their fingers. They really need a confidence boost this weekend.

10. Idaho (7)---Last week, lost at UC-Davis 44-21, this week, Portland State at home---Hard to imagine people saw the Vandals struggling to compete in the Big Sky, but they needed two late scores to make it look respectable last week. They should have an easy game this weekend, but nothing has been easy.

11. Southern Utah (10)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 31-23, this week, bye---The Thunderbirds really needed a good road showing last week to get back in the picture. However, they get a loss to head in to their bye week. Time to get some questions answered.

12. Cal Poly (11)---Last week, lost at Eastern Washington 70-17, this week Montana at home---Did the Mustangs even bother to show up last week on the road? EWU is good, but THAT good? No favors coming up for the Mustangs as they get the ferocious Montana team.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week, lost to Montana State at home 43-23, this week at Idaho---Again, same story, different verse, only this one goes back to last year for the Vikings. Many new questions coming up but the obvious one is how long will this last?

RECAP: 1, then 2-6, 7-10 fading, 11-12 off the pace, 13 trying to keep up.

wapiti
September 25th, 2018, 09:50 AM
1. Eastern Washington ---After pounding CP EWU may be even better than I expected. Will anyone in conference be able to challenge EWU? (Maybe BBQ or UC Davis?) MSU has the next chance.

2. Weber State ---The BBQ grills will be off this weekend. NC kept the game close for a half.

3. UC-Davis ---UCD cruised through Idaho.

4. Montana ---Took care of business, as usual, at home, against a good Sac State team.

5. Montana State ---Got a nice conference road win even if it was against hapless Portland State. Now to play the number one in conference.

6. Sacramento State ---Kept the game close and had a chance in the 4th quarter, but still fell short in Missoula.

7. Idaho ---I have been hesitant to move UI too far down the rankings, other than the Div 2 game they have had a tough schedule.

8. Northern Arizona ---Butler played this past weekend, but Cookus did not and somehow NAU still found a W. The #2 QB did well.

9. Idaho State ---Good win for ISU. Beat a ranked opponent. If ISU keeps this up they may surprise a few teams and find themselves in discussion for a playoff spot.

10. Northern Colorado ---NC kept the game close for a half. Then the BBQ turned up the gas.

11. Southern Utah ---ohh fer going into a Bye week, then off to EWU. The birds schedule has been brutal and the record shows it.

12. Cal Poly ---The running game is getting yards and TOP, but not W's. Now to be at home against UM. I think CP may have a chance to turn those yards and TOP into points and a W. It will depend on their defense. Giving up 70 points is not good.

13. Portland State ---PSU is in a battle with CP to be this year's cellar dweller. Too bad they don't play each other to prove it.

RECAP: 1, then 2-6, 7-10 fading, 11 off the pace, 12 & 13 trying to keep up.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 25th, 2018, 11:18 AM
What we didn't know from the non-conference season, we probably know a little bit more now. Eastern Washington seems to be really good, Portland State seems to be really bad, and the rest are floating somewhere in between, except for the wildcard, North Dakota, who seems to have some questions of their own. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are my opinion only. Four teams are taking this weekend off and Northern Colorado gets North Dakota.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, beat Cal Poly at home 70-17, this week at Montana State---The Eagles seem to be soaring high after dismantling a good Cal Poly team last week. Can anyone touch them? They have a tough road conference game this week.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week, beat Northern Colorado at home 45-28, this week, bye---The Wildcats grounded out a tougher than expected win at home last weekend. They are getting their questions answered on offense and thus are becoming a good team.

3. UC-Davis (4)---Last week, beat Idaho at home 44-21, this week, bye---The Aggies put the hammer down on Idaho last week and then cruised. They have answered many offseason questions in a positive way and are on their way to a good season.

4. Montana State (6)---Last week, won at Portland State 43-23, this week Eastern Washington at home---No looking ahead for the Bobcats last week as they took care of business and got a good road conference win. They now welcome EWU to their house.

5. Montana (5)---Last week, beat Sacramento State at home 41-34, this week at Cal Poly---Don't give up on the Grizzlies or they will come back and take the victory from your hands. They looked strong in getting a good home win, now they go out on the road.

6. Sacramento State (3)---Last week, lost at Montana 41-34, this week, bye---The Hornets were hoping to get their first win ever in Missoula, but still came away empty handed. They will be taking this week off to try to bounce back and prepare for the stretch run.

7. Northern Arizona (8)---Last week, beat Southern Utah at home 31-23, this week at Idaho State---Are things turning around for the Lumberjacks, now that we are in conference play? They're hoping so, but they have a tough road game coming up.

8. Idaho State (12)---Last week, won at North Dakota 25-21, this week Northern Arizona at home---Talk about a confidence builder. The Bengals, probably given up for dead early on, came through in a big way for a good road win. They are brimming with confidence now.

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Last week, lost at Weber State 45-28, this week North Dakota at home---Same story, different verse. The Bears played tough enough to win the game only to see it slip out of their fingers. They really need a confidence boost this weekend.

10. Idaho (7)---Last week, lost at UC-Davis 44-21, this week, Portland State at home---Hard to imagine people saw the Vandals struggling to compete in the Big Sky, but they needed two late scores to make it look respectable last week. They should have an easy game this weekend, but nothing has been easy.

11. Southern Utah (10)---Last week, lost at Northern Arizona 31-23, this week, bye---The Thunderbirds really needed a good road showing last week to get back in the picture. However, they get a loss to head in to their bye week. Time to get some questions answered.

12. Cal Poly (11)---Last week, lost at Eastern Washington 70-17, this week Montana at home---Did the Mustangs even bother to show up last week on the road? EWU is good, but THAT good? No favors coming up for the Mustangs as they get the ferocious Montana team.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week, lost to Montana State at home 43-23, this week at Idaho---Again, same story, different verse, only this one goes back to last year for the Vikings. Many new questions coming up but the obvious one is how long will this last?

RECAP: 1, then 2-6, 7-10 fading, 11-12 off the pace, 13 trying to keep up.

Youre ****ing high!

MSUBobcat
September 25th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Youre ****ing high!

Care to elaborate on what you disagree with?? My assumption is you don't particularly care for MSU being ranked ahead of UM, and that's a perfectly debatable stance. But to just criticize with no explanation isn't very constructive.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 25th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Care to elaborate on what you disagree with?? My assumption is you don't particularly care for MSU being ranked ahead of UM, and that's a perfectly debatable stance. But to just criticize with no explanation isn't very constructive.

Sure I'd put it this way....

1.UC Davis---has beaten a FBS school...2 decent FCS schools and put up a decent fight against Stanford.

2. EWU---Has beat two mediocre FCS teams...put up a fight against FBS...the talent is obvious

3.Montana---Beat 3 FCS teams...UNI and Sac St..I think are both above average and highly talented....lost on the road to a pretty good MVC team.....QB is maybe the most explosive offensive player in the BigSky..should really be 4-0 but pissed the WIU game down their leg late

4.Weber----Beat 3 FCS schools all mediocre, the talent and experience is there for this team.

5.Sac State---Beat 2 mediocre FCS schools, lost but played a very good game on the road in WaGriz....their QB is very talented and that offense is loaded with talented skill positions

6.Montana State----Beat a pretty good MVC team at home, got destroyed against South Dakota State on the road...beat the worst team in the NEC and a bad Portland State, I still dont know if the Cats have a QB that shouldnt be a linebacker. This staff has no clue on personnel decisions

7. Northern AZ---Beat 1 FBS, lost a close game to EWU, got destroyed against a bad MVC team...beat a bad Southern Utah

8.Idaho State--Beat a decent North Dakota..lost to an FBS

9.Cal Poly--who cares about anyone below this line
10. Idaho
11. Portland State
12. No Colo
13. Southern Utah

JALMOND
September 25th, 2018, 03:23 PM

I actually had the Griz ahead of the Cats to begin with. Then looking closer, I moved the Cats ahead because of their win over Western Illinois who beat the Griz, their only loss to the #3 team in the country, and they got a conference win on the road. Things could change after this weekend, but for now, I do feel comfortable putting the Cats ahead of the Griz, more than if I left the Griz ahead of the Cats.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 25th, 2018, 03:31 PM
I actually had the Griz ahead of the Cats to begin with. Then looking closer, I moved the Cats ahead because of their win over Western Illinois who beat the Griz, their only loss to the #3 team in the country, and they got a conference win on the road. Things could change after this weekend, but for now, I do feel comfortable putting the Cats ahead of the Griz, more than if I left the Griz ahead of the Cats.

The Griz should have won that game on the road and only lost by 4....they pissed it down their leg late...did you watch the game? Furthermore the Griz defense is better than the Cats, and we have a real QB playing the position. Besides Western Ill which they won at home....the other two wins theyve had were against HORRIBLE teams.

So tell me this....you disagree that the Griz have beaten better teams in UNI..Drake..and Sac State....compared to the Cats beating WIU...Wagner...and Portland State

And you think the Griz loss by 4 on the road is WORSE than the Cats getting absolutely hammered by 31 in Brookings????

nevadagriz
September 25th, 2018, 03:55 PM
The Griz should have won that game on the road and only lost by 4....they pissed it down their leg late...did you watch the game? Furthermore the Griz defense is better than the Cats, and we have a real QB playing the position. Besides Western Ill which they won at home....the other two wins theyve had were against HORRIBLE teams.

So tell me this....you disagree that the Griz have beaten better teams in UNI..Drake..and Sac State....compared to the Cats beating WIU...Wagner...and Portland State

And you think the Griz loss by 4 on the road is WORSE than the Cats getting absolutely hammered by 31 in Brookings????
Yes because they beat a team by 3 at home that we lost to on the Road.xeyebrowx

SochorField
September 26th, 2018, 11:04 AM
This may seem trivial.....but hopefully you all can relate and back me up on this.

For the better part of a decade, JALMOND has insisted on calling UC Davis "UC-Davis."

I don't know about anyone else, but if someone keeps calling me something I don't want to be called, I'm going to take it personally after multiple corrections over many years.
I guess we should just start calling PSU "Portland-State," or "PS-U."

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29012&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29013&stc=1

Please refer to Page 1 and 2.

http://ucdavisaggies.com/documents/2018/9/20/9_22_vs_Idaho_Game_Notes.pdf

F'N Hawks
September 26th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I prefer Cal Davis. Rolls of the tongue easier.

MSUBobcat
September 26th, 2018, 11:49 AM

One could ask if you are high for giving Griz credit for, by your own admission, pissing down their leg. Why would you reward a team for that? And yes, the Cats were beat down. By the #3 team in the country. At their stadium. With a true freshman starting in his first game as QB.

Like I said, which will end up ranked higher at the end of the season is debatable, but one wouldn't have to be "high" to put the Cats above the Griz due to common opponent and same record. It's sound reasoning being only 4 games into the season.

SochorField
September 26th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I prefer Cal Davis. Rolls of the tongue easier.

You must love it when you play an FBS and they call your team North Dakota State the entire game. Then it continues on Sportscenter. Not the least bit annoying, I'm sure.

grizband
September 26th, 2018, 12:02 PM
You must love it when you play an FBS and they call your team North Dakota State the entire game. Then it continues on Sportscenter. Not the least bit annoying, I'm sure.
Not really the same thing, honestly. One is a punctuation discrepancy, one is a completely different school.

MSUBobcat
September 26th, 2018, 12:04 PM
This may seem trivial.....but hopefully you all can relate and back me up on this.

For the better part of a decade, JALMOND has insisted on calling UC Davis "UC-Davis."

I don't know about anyone else, but if someone keeps calling me something I don't want to be called, I'm going to take it personally after multiple corrections over many years.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29012&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29013&stc=1

Forgive me, but I'm confused what you're taking umbrage. Are you taking issue that he's listing a HYPHEN between UC and Davis??? When I read it, I'm not saying "you see hyphen Davis" in my head. Seems like a pretty petty thing to bring up. I think I'll start using every incorrect variation you posted when referring to Davis State. Thanks for the info.xthumbsupx

grizband
September 26th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Forgive me, but I'm confused what you're taking umbrage. Are you taking issue that he's listing a HYPHEN between UC and Davis??? When I read it, I'm not saying "you see hyphen Davis" in my head. Seems like a pretty petty thing to bring up. I think I'll start using every incorrect variation you posted when referring to Davis State. Thanks for the info.xthumbsupx
I read "What's In A Name" as directed to media people, in terms of properly referring to the school in written communication. Not an individual on a media board.

Iridebikes
September 26th, 2018, 12:34 PM
I like JALMOND's rankings. Only one game into the conference schedule I think its a good reflection of expectations and what has occurred.

Regarding UC DAVIS vs UC-DAVIS vs. CAL DAVIS. Really!!! Its a discussion about football. If a point were to be made I think it would be better to just have one team beat the crap out of another.

MSUBobcat
September 26th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I like JALMOND's rankings. Only one game into the conference schedule I think its a good reflection of expectations and what has occurred.

Regarding UC DAVIS vs UC-DAVIS vs. CAL DAVIS. Really!!! Its a discussion about football. If a point were to be made I think it would be better to just have one team beat the crap out of another.

You take this University of Davis discussion seriously, dammit!!xrolleyesx

dbackjon
September 26th, 2018, 03:21 PM
You take this University of Davis discussion seriously, dammit!!xrolleyesx

Says the person from Univ of Montana - Bozeman

wapiti
September 26th, 2018, 03:31 PM
How about "You see Davis"? Is that ok?

I Bleed Purple
September 26th, 2018, 03:31 PM

Says the person from the University of Northern Arizona.

Silenoz
September 26th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Davies College

Deal?

bobcathpdevil56
September 26th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Davies College

Deal?

I was thinking it should be possessive, so Davies' College

MSUBobcat
September 26th, 2018, 04:46 PM

My skin's pretty thick. You're gonna have to try much harder than that to get under it, skippy.xnodx

I DO like where this thread is going though.

MSUBobcat
September 26th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Says the person from the University of Northern Arizona.

Ahem... I believe it's University of Arizona-Northern. Or is it University of Arizona, Northern. Damn... punctuation is so tricky!

SochorField
September 26th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Its all good, folks. I guess I was being sensitive. I'm just looking forward to the Aggies winning the Big Sky within the next few years.

Rjones61
September 26th, 2018, 08:24 PM
I like to refer to Montana State as the Montana Bobcats and watch the blood pressure rise.

Rjones61
September 26th, 2018, 08:26 PM
As for the rankings, I would give the Montana State Grizzlies the benefit of the doubt over Montana, but that is a really tough pick.

wapiti
September 26th, 2018, 10:01 PM
As long as we are discussing University names how should I say Weber State? Is it "The BBQ" or is it "The BBQ Grills"

MSUBobcat
September 27th, 2018, 12:46 PM
As long as we are discussing University names how should I say Weber State? Is it "The BBQ" or is it "The BBQ Grills"

Depends on setting, informal or formal. The formal version is actually "THE BBQ Grills", similar to the pompous THE Ohio State.

I Bleed Purple
September 27th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Depends on setting, informal or formal. The formal version is actually "THE BBQ Grills", similar to the pompous THE Ohio State.

More along the lines of We Be Arse kickin'.

dbackjon
September 27th, 2018, 06:10 PM
I like to refer to Montana State as the Montana Bobcats and watch the blood pressure rise.

And the Montana State Grizzlies

JALMOND
September 27th, 2018, 08:27 PM

I was not aware of that. I will start using UC Davis from now on. The spellcheck likes that better anyway.

Russ B
September 27th, 2018, 09:58 PM
On a day filled with acrimony and conflict, that post just made my evening. Thank you, JALMOND--if we ever meet up, I'm buying you a beer.*

*not just for this--I've enjoyed your power rankings and weekly predictions for many years.

:)

grizband
September 27th, 2018, 10:11 PM
On a day filled with acrimony and conflict, that post just made my evening. Thank you, JALMOND--if we ever meet up, I'm buying you a beer.*

*not just for this--I've enjoyed your power rankings and weekly predictions for many years.

:)I mean, yeah, he's ok ;)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kalm
September 28th, 2018, 07:38 AM
I call it Davis but shouldn’t it really be CSUD?

bobcathpdevil56
September 28th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I always thought it was State University of California at Davis. so SUC Davis

dbackjon
September 28th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I always thought it was State University of California at Davis. so SUC Davis

State University of Montana at Bozeman - SUM BOZO :)