PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Use of the New Redshirt Rule by Remus Bulmer

Derby City Duke
September 24th, 2018, 10:17 PM
Remus Bulmer of SHSU to redshirt, transfer. How many of us saw this method of using the transfer rule coming?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-sam-houston-state-remus-bulmer-transferring-ajaj (https://herosports.com/fcs/football-sam-houston-state-remus-bulmer-transferring-ajaj)

cx500d
September 24th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Remus Bulmer of SHSU to redshirt, transfer. How many of us saw this method of using the transfer rule coming?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-sam-houston-state-remus-bulmer-transferring-ajaj (https://herosports.com/fcs/football-sam-houston-state-remus-bulmer-transferring-ajaj)

This must be due to Keeler's commitment to be more balanced and run more...

"It just seems like I'm playing less this year than previous years."

"But the past two weeks -- both being losses to North Dakota and Nicholls -- Bulmer has had five and eight carries respectively and sophomore Kyran Jackson currently leads the team in rushing. With the new redshirting rule -- which allows a player to participate in up to four games without losing a year of eligibility, Bulmer can sit out the remainder of 2018 and have a fresh start in 2019 since he never redshirted before. Players from Oklahoma State also announced today they would use this rule to transfer."

katss07
September 24th, 2018, 10:21 PM
I posted about this earlier in an SLC thread. I’m very surprised that he left the team. Jackson has really emerged as the most talented back on the team, but Remus was a Kat for a while and a team captain. Sad to see him leave, he wasn’t too bad with the Kats over these past two years.

Wish him the best, but I hate how he quit on his teammates. **** choice for a captain, Coach Keeler.

bonarae
September 24th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Can this rule be applied to other sports as well when time comes? xchinscratchx

This might become a headscratching decision by the NCAA in the long run. I'm afraid players may abuse this rule... maybe I am from another point of view...

Big Dawg
September 25th, 2018, 12:13 AM

This might become a headscratching decision by the NCAA in the long run. I'm afraid players may abuse this rule... maybe I am from another point of view...

I think you’ll probably see the NCAA amend the rule at some point.

This is interesting

Big Dawg
September 25th, 2018, 12:16 AM
I posted about this earlier in an SLC thread. I’m very surprised that he left the team. Jackson has really emerged as the most talented back on the team, but Remus was a Kat for a while and a team captain. Sad to see him leave, he wasn’t too bad with the Kats over these past two years.

Wish him the best, but I hate how he quit on his teammates. **** choice for a captain, Coach Keeler.

Why should a kid stay if he is unhappy? He gave you guys three seasons. Nobody wants to be second fiddle if they truly feel they would flourish elsewhere.

Bisonoline
September 25th, 2018, 12:19 AM

If not I see a discrimination law suit in their future. I cant believe this is title 9 compliant.

Redbird 4th & short
September 25th, 2018, 03:47 AM
I think you’ll probably see the NCAA amend the rule at some point.

This is interesting
I didn't like this new 4 game RS rule to begin with .. now I like it even less. It is just stupid that even allowing a redshirt year (without injury) at all should be enough. But now a player gets 4.33 years of eligibility .. so 25 true FR can play in 4 total games, which is 100 games of play now .. and zero eligibility is used up. But why stop there ? Why stop anywhere with that logic ? Of course coaches and players like it. NCAA used to force freshman to sit out ... I didn't like that rule either, but now we let them play 4 games and use zero eligibility.

My kids would love it if I told them they can skip their veggies and just eat twice as much dessert instead. That doesn't make it a good idea.

Milktruck74
September 25th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Why should a kid stay if he is unhappy? He gave you guys three seasons. Nobody wants to be second fiddle if they truly feel they would flourish elsewhere.

True, but that is when you bust your ass and win back your spot....Not Quit on your team!!! IF he is doing this to try and get exposure for the NFL (which it sounds like when he mentions "future"), teams see this and it will leave an impression....and not a good one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 25th, 2018, 06:30 AM
]True, but that is when you bust your ass and win back your spot....Not Quit on your team!!![/SIZE] IF he is doing this to try and get exposure for the NFL (which it sounds like when he mentions "future"), teams see this and it will leave an impression....and not a good one.

This here.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 06:37 AM
I don't see the new rule as the problem here, I see the entitled attitude of the player as the problem here. Whether the rule is in place or not you've still got a guy with a quitter's attitude. Like was said earlier if he thinks he deserves more playing time then force the coaches to play you more by busting ass in practice and the game reps you do get.

I still like the new redshirt rule.

dgtw
September 25th, 2018, 06:38 AM
If he can’t make the starting lineup at Sam Houston, he probably shouldn’t worry about the NFL.

I think the rule was intended to give coaches more flexibility. They could have tryouts under game conditions for younger players or stick someone in for a play or two to rest starters without burning a year of eligibility.

But now players can play a third of a season and then bail if things aren’t going their way. If someone quits in mid season like this they should pay their own tuition for the rest of the semester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katss07
September 25th, 2018, 06:52 AM
He should stay because he’s already played 3 games and shouldn’t just quit on the coaches and his teammates (the ones he is expected to LEAD). I think its a weak move. Hope Jackson goes off this week and the Kats win big.

If he is unhappy, he can bust his ass and work. Playing CFB isn’t a right, its a privilege. Earn time, don’t quit!

Cocky
September 25th, 2018, 06:56 AM
The NCAA will change the rule, players having the upper hand isnt in their DNA. Its a shame but the NCAA loves to bully kids and control them as long as possible.
Players should be able to transfer at anytime to anywhere.

uni88
September 25th, 2018, 07:56 AM
He should stay because he’s already played 3 games and shouldn’t just quit on the coaches and his teammates (the ones he is expected to LEAD). I think its a weak move. Hope Jackson goes off this week and the Kats win big.

If he is unhappy, he can bust his ass and work. Playing CFB isn’t a right, its a privilege. Earn time, don’t quit!

What if the other guy is just better than him and he wants to play? Busting his ass might not make a difference and a change of scenery could be good for him.

What is he? 19/20 years old? In the grand scheme of possible mistakes that a young adult could make, this is pretty minor.

He needs to make the decision about what's best for him.

JSUSoutherner
September 25th, 2018, 08:08 AM
He's graduating in December, so if he redshirts this year could he play two seasons with an FBS?

Sycamore62
September 25th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Im all for him doing what's best for him. I dont care if players abuse this rule. The NCAA and these schools and their employees are the ones who make out big. 6-7 figure salaries for government work, TV contracts, being treated like royalty, a billion dollar budget all on the backs of players that get a stipend and a diploma for "free" that a majority of them could have got free anyway that most people think of as worthless in the first place. Good for this player. If SHSU really needed him on the team they would have played him more.

Redbird 4th & short
September 25th, 2018, 08:42 AM
I don't see the new rule as the problem here, I see the entitled attitude of the player as the problem here. Whether the rule is in place or not you've still got a guy with a quitter's attitude. Like was said earlier if he thinks he deserves more playing time then force the coaches to play you more by busting ass in practice and the game reps you do get.

I still like the new redshirt rule.
You're right ... and I guess it also reminds me of the first time I realized my kids could just press some "do over" button on their PS3 game if it wasn't going well. I was like .. "did you just quit some war game because it wasn't going well" ? He said very matter of factly, "no Dad, I get unlimited lives and I just go back to this point and start over. That's just the way it works". To which I said, "not really".

He did the whole off-season, he played 4 games .. and now he gets to hit that f-ing "do over" button like it never even happened. I just don't get it.

Sycamore62
September 25th, 2018, 08:56 AM
You're right ... and I guess it also reminds me of the first time I realized my kids could just press some "do over" button on their PS3 game if it wasn't going well. I was like .. "did you just quit some war game because it wasn't going well" ? He said very matter of factly, "no Dad, I get unlimited lives and I just go back to this point and start over. That's just the way it works". To which I said, "not really".

He did the whole off-season, he played 4 games .. and now he gets to hit that f-ing "do over" button like it never even happened. I just don't get it.

why should he have to stay. the school doesnt own him. if he was just a student working at Applebees and TGIFridays near another school was a better job then nobody would be talking about this. The team clearly doesnt need him that bad and he wants to go somewhere where a team does want him that bad.

dgtw
September 25th, 2018, 08:57 AM
He's graduating in December, so if he redshirts this year could he play two seasons with an FBS?

Yes. But again, if he isn’t starting at an FCS, what FBS (above the lower G5 schools) is going to take him?

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Im all for him doing what's best for him. I dont care if players abuse this rule. The NCAA and these schools and their employees are the ones who make out big. 6-7 figure salaries for government work, TV contracts, being treated like royalty, a billion dollar budget all on the backs of players that get a stipend and a diploma for "free" that a majority of them could have got free anyway that most people think of as worthless in the first place. Good for this player. If SHSU really needed him on the team they would have played him more.

+1 to your wise words. We @ PV got wind of this a few ago. ;) I agree w/ Remus and would've advised him to do likewise. Didn't SHSU just move a former DB over to the RB position this past summer? I think the writing on the wall was very clear. Seems like he was under-utilized in that former pass-happy scheme that came to fruition after his soph year?

SHSU doesn't own Remus so he's free to do all that the is legal and right under the ncaa's guidelines that suits his best interests individually. Wish him well, where ever he lands.

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 09:18 AM
why should he have to stay. the school doesnt own him. if he was just a student working at Applebees and TGIFridays near another school was a better job then nobody would be talking about this. The team clearly doesnt need him that bad and he wants to go somewhere where a team does want him that bad.

Some are treating a young man's individual rights like it's some type of life-long marriage when he inks on the dotted line for a school. xlolx One cannot force someone to stay at a place where they do not want to be. Their heart and mind aren't in it so their overall performance will falter as well, imho. Obviously he's not dumb w/ his 3.2gpa and early graduation.

Sycamore62
September 25th, 2018, 09:38 AM
PLUS, I remember in EVERY visit I took to every school that they emphasized that scholarships were 1 year and renewable. I know there are longer term scholarships now but still, they wanted to make sure you knew that it could be pulled if you didnt perform.

FormerPokeCenter
September 25th, 2018, 09:59 AM

He gained 2,000 yards previously and was named a team captain? Neither of those things happen in a vacuum. If he was named team captain, then that's clearly a nod to his work ethic and commitment. If, after that and 2,000 yards, they're playing somebody else, then the handwrting is on the wall.

Sometimes politics gets involved in coaching decisions. Maybe the kid didn't like the politics, but - for whatever reason - he's decided that his future is better served, elsewhere.

You can't fault him for wanting to play or for not wanting to sit the bench.

Positions are earned in the spring and in August. Once the season's started, you're not going to work your way up the depth chart based on how you practice. You have to hope that somebody gets hurt or plays badly so you'll get another shot. That's not exactly a great place to be, mentally.

A competitive guy, who's a team captain, who realizes that he's in a conflict of interest with the team should be expected to make an intelligent, mature decision that benefits everybody involved.

It sounds to me like your guy did that....

Yote 53
September 25th, 2018, 10:03 AM

If you are involved at all with youth sports these days you should not be surprised by this at all, it's just an extension of the current culture. "Not starting or getting enough playing time, it's not your fault Little Johnny, it's the stupid coach's fault for not recognizing the incredible talent you have. Don't worry, we'll find you another team that recognizes your talent." Rinse and repeat the following year.

Yote 53
September 25th, 2018, 10:09 AM
I posted that but also recognize this kid made the right decision for himself and it sounds like the coaching staff was understanding of his decision.

Someone posted earlier that schools don't own these kids. Couple that with 1 year renewable scholarships, and yeah, players should have the right to transfer. If scholarships were a 4 year guarantee and you have a signed contract then that is something that becomes bargained and agreed upon and restrictions on player movement should be part of the deal.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Some are treating a young man's individual rights like it's some type of life-long marriage when he inks on the dotted line for a school. xlolx One cannot force someone to stay at a place where they do not want to be. Their heart and mind aren't in it so their overall performance will falter as well, imho. Obviously he's not dumb w/ his 3.2gpa and early graduation.
Moving on and transferring is fine, student-athletes do it all the time. They always have and they always will. Quitting midseason is what rubs me the wrong way. Especially when he's a team captain.

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Imagine how young men feel when coaches/coaching staff changes occur after they are recruited to a university. Are coaches/staff relegated to the same type "ownership" some are implying? Herman recruited someone I know (Oliver, soon to be round#1 nfl draftee) to uofh and then left uofh immediately after his soph yr. Should Herman be held to the same standard once he decided to leave uofh for ut-austin? Should Oliver felt some type of way and decided to leave uofh and sit 1 year @ ut-austin just so he could follow Herman and staff?

It's a business decision and should never be personal, unless they attend our PVAMU. It's very personal for us. :D

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Moving on and transferring is fine, student-athletes do it all the time. They always have and they always will. Quitting midseason is what rubs me the wrong way. Especially when he's a team captain.

What did he do wrong? No ncaa infraction(s). No bad blood between himself and coaching staff. He graduates in a few months w/ a good gpa. Coaching staff and he agreed to his decision so exactly what is the problem? It's his decision not an "our," "yours," or "mine" decision lol.

BEAR
September 25th, 2018, 10:41 AM

Imagine if a coach checked out on your team the first round of the playoffs because he had a better offer....xcoffeex xlolxxlolx

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 10:48 AM
What did he do wrong? No ncaa infraction(s). No bad blood between himself and coaching staff. He graduates in a few months w/ a good gpa. Coaching staff and he agreed to his decision so exactly what is the problem? It's his decision not an "our," "yours," or "mine" decision lol.
What did he do wrong? He quit on his team. He didn't break any rules but there's a difference between what's wrong and what's illegal. Quitting on your team midseason because you don't think you're getting enough playing time is wrong. That's my opinion, if you see it otherwise so be it.

Sycamore62
September 25th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Hell, I'd be fine if a guy wants to quit midseason because he doesnt want to get hurt and cost him draft spots.

EDIT: Im also fine if the whole program is mad about it.

FormerPokeCenter
September 25th, 2018, 11:23 AM
So the kid's a 2000 yard rusher in two seasons....but he's been relegated to a back up role...which ostensibly happened in the spring and the August camp...

Late Auguest, Keeler makes him a captain, knowing that he's probably going to sit him most of the time...

This has internal politics written all over it....

BisonTru
September 25th, 2018, 11:24 AM

Yep. I agree with this. People are so hard on these kids for using the rules to their advantage, but really the rules are already in favor of the schools. A kid can have his scholarship pulled. He can be on a walk on or partial hoping for a better scholarship but never gets it. A kid can be recruited by one coaching staff then find out they were fired or they were hired away and if he signed his LOI he's stuck, like it or not. Or like what seems to happened here the kid put in his time, worked his tail off, but then they recruited a better athlete.

Yote 53
September 25th, 2018, 11:27 AM

I have changed on this subject, I don't have as big of a problem with it anymore. The way the NCAA rules are set up the kid had little choice.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Yep. I agree with this. People are so hard on these kids for using the rules to their advantage, but really the rules are already in favor of the schools. A kid can have his scholarship pulled. He can be on a walk on or partial hoping for a better scholarship but never gets it. A kid can be recruited by one coaching staff then find out they were fired or they were hired away and if he signed his LOI he's stuck, like it or not. Or like what seems to happened here the kid put in his time, worked his tail off, but then they recruited a better athlete.
I don't understand how this logic applies when a guy quits midseason. Schools can't pull scholarships in the middle of a season correct? In general I agree that transfer rules are too restrictive (coaches blocking transfers to certain places is the ultimate hypocrisy) but you're applying this logic like he's announcing his intentions to transfer in June instead of mid-September and there's a big difference IMO.

I have changed on this subject, I don't have as big of a problem with it anymore. The way the NCAA rules are set up the kid had little choice.
Huh? He had two years of eligibility left plus a redshirt (if he wanted it) coming into this season. How did the NCAA rules force him to play 4 games and then quit? He could've transferred last summer, used his redshirt this year, and been in the same position. He could've played this year and then done a grad transfer and played immediately next year at his new school. I don't see how he was hamstrung by NCAA rules in this scenario that caused him to "opt out" midseason.

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 11:34 AM
What did he do wrong? He quit on his team. He didn't break any rules but there's a difference between what's wrong and what's illegal. Quitting on your team midseason because you don't think you're getting enough playing time is wrong. That's my opinion, if you see it otherwise so be it.

Okay, respect. You're thinking it's acceptable for him to ride the pine, continue to be underutilized or not utilized at all other than a glorified sideline cheerleader, and quietly ride off into the season-ending sunset when he knows his abilities can still be utilized elsewhere productively? Isn't that the wrong mindset for someone allegedly supportive of non-professional youth? lol I don't see a problem and wish the young man well in his continuance to fulfill his personal dreams/goals. SHSU'ers should be proud to produce a bearkat grad (early grad) who gave his all for them during his time there w/ those conference titles/playoff runs.

Milktruck74
September 25th, 2018, 11:35 AM
First off He is a QUITTER, and if a kid comes into my office and wants to quit...then best of luck to you....but he has to go through life knowing he QUIT on his teammates.

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 11:37 AM
First off He is a QUITTER, and if a kid comes into my office and wants to quit...then best of luck to you....but he has to go through life knowing he QUIT on his teammates.

He's not married to those former teammates lol. WTF? xlolx

All baylor, ut-austin, txa&m, uofh, smu, unt-denton, et al fbs txfers please, STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!!! You're MARRIED to your fbs schools. xlolx

BisonTru
September 25th, 2018, 11:38 AM
I don't understand how this logic applies when a guy quits midseason. Schools can't pull scholarships in the middle of a season correct? In general I agree that transfer rules are too restrictive (coaches blocking transfers is the ultimate hypocrisy) but you're applying this logic like he's announcing his intentions to transfer in June instead of mid-September and there's a big difference IMO.

I'm not positive on the exact rules of pulling a kids scholarship but it certainly happens from time to time for disciplinary reasons mid season. My point is schools use the rules to their advantage and imo the rules are already skewed more in the schools favor then the student/athlete. So if a SA uses the rules to his advantage I don't see much of a problem with it. And with this specific situation the kid is using the rules to gain an extra year of eligibility. I can't fault a kid especially one that is staying out of trouble and keeping his grades up, for wanting to play more football.

FormerPokeCenter
September 25th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Look at SHSU's roster...26 of 99 kids on the roster are transfers....How does he have any confidence that if he stays and "does the right thing" that it will be rewarded next year? Or wlll they bring in a transfer from some place else to play in front of him...

He's just the 12th player in Bearkat history to rush for more than 2,000 yards and suddenly he's not good enough to play? Something's not quite right about that.

Life's too short to worry about the players who don't want to be in your program. Let them go and move your focus to the ones who do want to be there...

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Okay, respect. You're thinking it's acceptable for him to ride the pine, continue to be underutilized or not utilized at all other than a glorified sideline cheerleader, and quietly ride off into the season-ending sunset when he knows his abilities can still be utilized elsewhere productively? Isn't that the wrong mindset for someone allegedly supportive of non-professional youth? lol I don't see a problem and wish the young man well in his continuance to fulfill his personal dreams/goals. SHSU'ers should be proud to produce a bearkat grad (early grad) who gave his all for them during his time there w/ those conference titles/playoff runs.
I think what's acceptable for him to help his team however he can. If that's carrying the ball 20+ times game, 5-10 times a game, or not at all but to help make his teammates better by practicing hard that's his responsibility to do that. A lot of kids think they "know their abilities" when their perceptions are inherently skewed. Everyone wants to play more (well, except maybe Leveon Bell) but sometimes you just have to accept the fact that your role on the team isn't going to be all that glamourous. It happens at all levels of football but most guys nut up for the sake of the team and grudgingly accept it. That's what I think is acceptable.

I'm not positive on the exact rules of pulling a kids scholarship but it certainly happens from time to time for disciplinary reasons mid season. My point is schools use the rules to their advantage and imo the rules are already skewed more in the schools favor then the student/athlete. So if a SA uses the rules to his advantage I don't see much of a problem with it. And with this specific situation the kid is using the rules to gain an extra year of eligibility. I can't fault a kid especially one that is staying out of trouble and keeping his grades up, for wanting to play more football.
Ok, I see where you're coming from and we might have common ground here then. If he went to the coaches last offseason and said "I want to transfer but I want to graduate here first and still have two years of eligibility left" and the coaches said "Ok, well we can play you 4 games this year then and you can use this as a redshirt and then grad transfer next summer" then I think it was handled admirably and respectfully by both sides. If he went into this year with that plan all along but didn't tell the coaches until after the season started then I'm on the other side of it and I think he was in the wrong.

Redbird 4th & short
September 25th, 2018, 11:46 AM
I have no problem with the kid deciding it was time to move on. I don't know what he went thru, but as a former athlete and parent of athletes, I hope he thought long and hard about quitting mid-season and I hope it was not a decision he arrived at easily .. if it was, that is not good .. unless coach suddenly blackballed him for something stupid.

That said, I hate that he gets a complete "do over", as if the entire offseason, summer OTAs , summer camp, and 4 regular season games, plus 6 weeks of fall school .. never happened. Yet another reason (loophole ?) which further convinces me, it just makes no sense to allow 4 games to be played. The redshirt year should be enough. Hell, they can even get 2nd redshirt year with an injury.

Tail is wagging the dog. I get that some colleges are making lot of money off SOME of these athletes, but not many actually profit. And the system all kinds of blends together so other varsity sports can offer schollies too and they lose money. Plus the athlete is typically already getting a full scholarship worth anywhere from 25k to 40k per year for 4 or 5 years .. so 100k to 200k with of education and living expenses ... for which they pay zero income taxes. So I'm not going to feel sorry for a small fraction of college athletes having their college institutions make money off of them in exchange for 200k, a degree, and a 5 year experience they can not replicate in any other environment. Care to try minor league baseball life ... 90% don't make it to big leagues and it's no where near as glamourous or convenient as most college sports.

Milktruck74
September 25th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Look at SHSU's roster...26 of 99 kids on the roster are transfers....How does he have any confidence that if he stays and "does the right thing" that it will be rewarded next year? Or wlll they bring in a transfer from some place else to play in front of him...

He's just the 12th player in Bearkat history to rush for more than 2,000 yards and suddenly he's not good enough to play? Something's not quite right about that.

Life's too short to worry about the players who don't want to be in your program. Let them go and move your focus to the ones who do want to be there...

As a former player, your opinion carries a little more weight (or less since our playing days, thank god!)....I see what you are saying, a guy that doesn't want to be a part of the team is a cancer that can spread to others. Ideally kids come in and work their tails off and the best man wins the job....I realize that doesn't always happen, but I also realize the B-Rads of the world (a guy on my team that walked on and was never going to see any meaningful action) is a part of the team too...even the guys running Scout team plays, that never dress out play an important roll in the Ws and Ls on Saturday.... I have no issue with transferring...I was a transfer from a lower level, busted my tail and won my spot....the issue I see is QUITTING mid season. What is your take on that aspect?

Milktruck74
September 25th, 2018, 11:57 AM
I have no problem with the kid deciding it was time to move on. I don't know what he went thru, but as a former athlete and parent of athletes, I hope he thought long and hard about quitting mid-season and I hope it was not a decision he arrived at easily .. if it was, that is not good .. unless coach suddenly blackballed him for something stupid.

That said, I hate that he gets a complete "do over", as if the entire offseason, summer OTAs , summer camp, and 4 regular season games, plus 6 weeks of fall school .. never happened. Yet another reason (loophole ?) which further convinces me, it just makes no sense to allow 4 games to be played. The redshirt year should be enough. Hell, they can even get 2nd redshirt year with an injury.

Tail is wagging the dog. I get that some colleges are making lot of money off SOME of these athletes, but not many actually profit. And the system all kinds of blends together so other varsity sports can offer schollies too and they lose money. Plus the athlete is typically already getting a full scholarship worth anywhere from 25k to 40k per year for 4 or 5 years .. so 100k to 200k with of education and living expenses ... for which they pay zero income taxes. So I'm not going to feel sorry for a small fraction of college athletes having their college institutions make money off of them in exchange for 200k, a degree, and a 5 year experience they can not replicate in any other environment. Care to try minor league baseball life ... 90% don't make it to big leagues and it's no where near as glamourous or convenient as most college sports.

These three paragraphs should be required reading.... excellently stated!!!

Sammy94
September 25th, 2018, 12:03 PM
He quit on his team, the same ones that voted him captain. If we were 3-0 would his choice be the same? He saw the field plenty it’s not like he didn’t play. He was not the starter and hasn’t been the 3 years he was here. I like Remus and wish him the best but to do it this way and in such a public manner was the wrong way to go about it.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 12:03 PM

The 4 game rule makes a lot of sense and I don't think you'll see it going anywhere because coaches and players both like it from all accounts I've seen. It's especially useful at the FCS level IMO where injuries can create depth issues that a true freshman can be a "band-aid" for 4 games with. It gives the coaches better and more reps to evaluate the redshirts. It gives the redshirts a more enjoyable first year experience because they actually get to play in a game. And the only way they get the 2nd (a.k.a. medical) redshirt is if they lose two seasons to "circumstances beyond their control" which is a category a regular redshirt year doesn't fall into.

Derby City Duke
September 25th, 2018, 12:08 PM
What would Matt LeZotte do?

Who was Matt LeZotte? In spring of 2004, Matt was a 3-year starter at QB for JMU; his brother Tony was a r-freshman on that 2004 team. Lo and behold, Justin Rascati was recruited over at Louisville and decided to transfer to JMU. Rascati won the starter's job and led the Dukes to their 1st national championship.

Matt, on the other hand, accepted his demotion, worked his butt off...and appeared in 6 games -- 3 of which all he did was hand-off or kneel in the victory formation. What was telling though was his teammates elected him the team captain, and when the clock hit 0:00 in Chattanooga that December, he was the first player to receive the trophy and got the first shoulder ride from his teammates.

Would he do the same with today's rules? I don't know, but I'd like to think so -- his actions in 2004 were exemplary and the personification of selflessness.

IBleedYellow
September 25th, 2018, 12:14 PM
So the kid's a 2000 yard rusher in two seasons....but he's been relegated to a back up role...which ostensibly happened in the spring and the August camp...

Late Auguest, Keeler makes him a captain, knowing that he's probably going to sit him most of the time...

This has internal politics written all over it....

You need to stop being real with this. Everyone wants to **** on a kid for quitting here!

Sycamore62
September 25th, 2018, 12:17 PM

Its not the colleges necessarily. its the dozens of people who would have zero if not for these athletes. AD's office, Coaches, a bunch of academic support staff, probably one Dean, fund raisers, trainers, facilities people. EVERYBODY is making money and nobody is stuck to one university unless all the other ones dont want them. Millions of dollars in every program are going in to their pockets.

Sammy94
September 25th, 2018, 12:27 PM

First, a transfer didn’t take his spot, a recruited sophomore did. Most of those transfers on the roster are back ups. If competition scares you then have a go at it in D2. Best of luck to the kid.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Ok, I see where you're coming from and we might have common ground here then. If he went to the coaches last offseason and said "I want to transfer but I want to graduate here first and still have two years of eligibility left" and the coaches said "Ok, well we can play you 4 games this year then and you can use this as a redshirt and then grad transfer next summer" then I think it was handled admirably and respectfully by both sides. If he went into this year with that plan all along but didn't tell the coaches until after the season started then I'm on the other side of it and I think he was in the wrong.

I doubt there was any set plan from anybody. I would guess he came into the season and either he was familiar with the new four game redshirt rule or someone close to him was familiar with it. He got four games in and realized his playing time was not what he was hoping for, and if he was already considering transferring it makes a lot of sense to pull the trigger now when you can save a year of eligibility instead of waiting out the season and burning a year playing sparingly.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 12:43 PM
I doubt there was any set plan from anybody. I would guess he came into the season and either he was familiar with the new four game redshirt rule or someone close to him was familiar with it. He got four games in and realized his playing time was not what he was hoping for, and if he was already considering transferring it makes a lot of sense to pull the trigger now when you can save a year of eligibility instead of waiting out the season and burning a year playing sparingly.
Well, if that's the case I think it's a selfish decision and he deserves to be called out for it. He probably doesn't care because it seems like he feels like he's owed something by the coaches/program that he's not getting. It might be better for SHSU that he leaves now instead of being a malcontent for the rest of the year but it just seems like a ****ty attitude to have.

I guess he can go D2 and rack up two 1500 rushing yard seasons or something on teams that go 5-15 over the next 2 years and be happy.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Well, if that's the case I think it's a selfish decision and he deserves to be called out for it. He probably doesn't care because it seems like he feels like he's owed something by the coaches/program that he's not getting. It might be better for SHSU that he leaves now instead of being a malcontent for the rest of the year but it just seems like a ****ty attitude to have.

I guess he can go D2 and rack up two 1500 rushing yard seasons or something on teams that go 5-15 over the next 2 years and be happy.

You can call it selfish but it's a whole year of eligibility that he saves to play a sport he probably loves playing. That's a pretty big deal to a 20 something year old kid that knows his playing days are numbered.

Sammy94
September 25th, 2018, 12:51 PM
FYI this is what “not playing” looks like:

Jackson
34 carries
163 yards
2 tds

Bulmer
27 carries
149 yards
3 tds

Sammy94
September 25th, 2018, 12:53 PM

He only has one season of elgibility left. So one 1500 yd season.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 12:54 PM
He only has one season of elgibility left. So one 1500 yd season.
Ah, I see. So he's a true senior this year then.

Whatever, I'm made my thoughts known. Not going to lose sleep over it, hopefully it works out for the best for both sides.

Sammy94
September 25th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Ah, I see. So he's a true senior this year then.

Whatever, I'm made my thoughts known. Not going to lose sleep over it, hopefully it works out for the best for both sides.

It is what it is. He quit on his team. He will probably head to Slippery Rock.

Milktruck74
September 25th, 2018, 01:04 PM
What are the chances he transfers and ends up not seeing the field at the next place? Or worse, (not advocating for it) he gets injured in the first few games and sits the rest of the season?

I think the NCAA needs to just allow 5 seasons. That is what it now takes regular students to actually graduate, so just give everyone 5 to play and get rid of the whole Red-Shirt rule....and as far as transfers, go anywhere you want, except for a school that is on your current team's schedule for the rest of your career.

katss07
September 25th, 2018, 01:10 PM
I don’t have an issue with Bulmer leaving and its not like it he named himself captain in some way. But the public way he went about it. Just interested in why a guy who was clearly such a leader to be named captain quits so quickly. 3 games! They are still in a conference and playoff race! Questioning Keeler’s decision making.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 01:11 PM
What are the chances he transfers and ends up not seeing the field at the next place? Or worse, (not advocating for it) he gets injured in the first few games and sits the rest of the season?

I think the NCAA needs to just allow 5 seasons. That is what it now takes regular students to actually graduate, so just give everyone 5 to play and get rid of the whole Red-Shirt rule....and as far as transfers, go anywhere you want, except for a school that is on your current team's schedule for the rest of your career.
That is what they do now I think. When your eligibility "clock" starts you have 5 years to play 4. The only way a player gets a 6th season is if he loses at least two seasons to circumstances beyond his control and is granted a medical redshirt. I believe Bulmer would be a grad transfer this next summer so he'd be available to play at his new school immediately next fall.

FormerPokeCenter
September 25th, 2018, 01:24 PM
The other thing that's worth noting is that the SHSU is under their third OC during Bulmer's tenure with the squad. They got a new guy last year, who promptly bailed for Marshall...so...they bring in somebody else...the kid has to learn a new system.

From where I sit, it looks like he gave it the spring, the summer, the fall, and a little way into the season before he figured out that he's not going to fit in their system. I missed the memo where he's got to sign a blood oath to SHSU?

If he's playing second team and his numbers - through three games - are as good as the starter's numbers based on what was posted above, I think that sorta lends credence to his complaints, no??

The Yo Show
September 25th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I liked the change to the redshirt rule... maybe all they need to do is amend it to say it won't apply if you transfer during the season (vs it would be ok to transfer after the season is over)? IDK. Like EVERYTHING in life, this change brought alot of good things and yet there are alot of people who are going to look to abuse the rule in ways it wasn't attended :(

clenz
September 25th, 2018, 04:39 PM

No employee at any job should ever get to quick and take a new job, even if they are getting screwed by their present employeer.

You've already spend days/weeks/months/years at that place. They put money into training you. You shouldn't just quick on your coworkers and managers. I think doing that is a weak move. It's a sign of entitlement on the part of that employee. Working is a privilege. Earn more pay (even though you can't). Don't quit!

https://www.dictionary.com/e/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/amirite-2.jpg

Professor
September 25th, 2018, 04:59 PM
These comments were what i was expecting

Cocky
September 25th, 2018, 05:09 PM

He is not a quitter, just changing jobs. Adults make decisions like this everyday.
A quitter is someone who stays in an unhealthy situation. A real quitter would stick around and ride the pine.

Daytripper
September 25th, 2018, 05:13 PM

He's not going to get any looks from FBS. He's a decent FCS RB. He might go DII.

Panther88
September 25th, 2018, 05:18 PM
These comments were what i was expecting

No sh%^. That ownership/"imaginary" marriage thing runs deeeeeeeep w/ certain folk.

He's a business major so I'm sure he'll have no trouble landing somewhere. Who knows, even though we're loaded @ RB for the next few, he could possibly become a panther, along w/ 2 more who appear to be disgruntled w/ playing time @ SHSU.

Professor Chaos
September 25th, 2018, 05:49 PM
No employee at any job should ever get to quick and take a new job, even if they are getting screwed by their present employeer.

You've already spend days/weeks/months/years at that place. They put money into training you. You shouldn't just quick on your coworkers and managers. I think doing that is a weak move. It's a sign of entitlement on the part of that employee. Working is a privilege. Earn more pay (even though you can't). Don't quit!

Equating college student-athletes to employees is a whole other debate but I'll play along. What do you think would happen if an employee signed a 4 month contract (scholarship), was paid up front, and then quit a month into the contract because they decided they didn't like the job?

Redbird 4th & short
September 25th, 2018, 05:52 PM
I don't see the job analogy ... he is in school presumably working towards a degree, and received an athletic scholarship to play football .. given 5 years to play 4 if they redshirt him, as part of his scholarship offer. I assume there was no guarantees he would play 100% of the games. He played 4 games this season, got half the reps, and quit MID-SEASON. This in no way is comparable to a job ... he is a student athlete, going to school for free and paying no income taxes. So the school used up a schollie on him ... and he quits after 4 games. Does the school get the schollie money back ... tuition, fees, rent, meal ticket ??

No, it's gone. He can quit all he wants and whenever he wants ..no one is suggesting he can't. But he should lose a year of eligibility for using up a schollie. Change the stupid rule .. at least to stop nonsense like this, if not altogether. 4 years of eligibility should equal 4 years of eligibility.

PAllen
September 25th, 2018, 06:38 PM
True, but that is when you bust your ass and win back your spot....Not Quit on your team!!! IF he is doing this to try and get exposure for the NFL (which it sounds like when he mentions "future"), teams see this and it will leave an impression....and not a good one.

I hear you, but the NFL doesn't look all that long and hard at FCS 2nd stringers.

Twentysix
September 26th, 2018, 03:44 AM
Equating college student-athletes to employees is a whole other debate but I'll play along. What do you think would happen if an employee signed a 4 month contract (scholarship), was paid up front, and then quit a month into the contract because they decided they didn't like the job?So you are saying he should have to pay back his scholarship for the time he will not be a member of the team, ~half a semester; or if he withdraws from shsu he should owe nothing?

Normal employment doesn't really carry breach of terms beyond paying back advances that were never earned.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
September 26th, 2018, 06:57 AM
So you are saying he should have to pay back his scholarship for the time he will not be a member of the team, ~half a semester; or if he withdraws from shsu he should owe nothing?

Normal employment doesn't really carry breach of terms beyond paying back advances that were never earned.

My point is an employee would have to reimburse an employer for failing to satisfy his contractual commitments. I think it would be a pretty petty move on SHSU's part if they did that here and I kinda doubt they have any legal means to do so. If you want to say that this situation is different from an employee/employer situation I won't argue but the comparison was made to an employee/employer situation so I was drawing the parallels of the consequences of that equation also.

And normal employment absolutely carries those types of breach of contract terms. See how the Buffalo Bills are going after Vontae Davis' signing bonus right now.

bluehenbillk
September 26th, 2018, 07:09 AM
Same thing going on with Jalen Hurts from Alabama & Kelly Bryant at Clemson. Bryant hasn't been at practice the last 2 days.....

Panther88
September 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Same thing going on with Jalen Hurts from Alabama & Kelly Bryant at Clemson. Bryant hasn't been at practice the last 2 days.....
Again, what’s the problem? No one is married to bama or clemson football.

Sycamore62
September 26th, 2018, 08:14 AM
I havent read the whole article but are we assuming this wasnt something that was known to be a possibility depending on how the season played out? Maybe he talked to the coach prior to spring ball or the season and they agreed to see how it went for 4 games and then maybe RS/xfer?

Milktruck74
September 26th, 2018, 08:27 AM
I was on another board talking about the Bryant situation and "coach loyalty" was mentioned.....what loyalty does the coach have to the other 90 kids on the team to put the best player on the field that gives them the best opportunity to win games? And when it comes down to it, these coaches make way too much money to base their decisions on anything other than the opportunity to win. If the kid wants to go somewhere else, so be it....but it is just crappy!

FormerPokeCenter
September 26th, 2018, 09:27 AM
We're all products of a much different world, in a much different time with much different values.

The simple truth is that we don't know what we'd do if we were in this kid's situation, playing under this kid's rules. Nor do we know the backstory.

There's gotta be something more to all of this for SHSU to sit a guy who gained 2000 yards in just two seasons.

Somebody posted his production as compared to the starter this year, and the numbers look pretty comparable. I don't see clear and compelling separation.

Plus, the kid was named as a captain.

We also know that he's under his third OC in as many years, with - ostensibly - a different scheme.

Anecdotally, I have an appreciation for where the kid's at. I played some as a true freshman in 1981, took a redshirt year in 82 to let a couple of seniors graduate and I was the starter at center in the spring of 1983 before a catastrophic knee injury sidelined me. Torn posterior cruciate, torn medial collateral, torn capsule, dislocated knee cap, torn posteromedial corner of the knee, with the medial head of the quadriceps and the medial head of the gastrocnemius torn from their insertions. It was a train wreck.

The guy i'd battled with for the starting job took over. He was a good friend and was a year ahead of me. He blew out his knee in the first game of the year trying to chase down and block Gary Reasons, the Hall of Fame linebacker from Northwestern. That left McNeese with two true freshmen centers to limp through the year with.

I worked my ass off during rehab and I came back the following fall and found myself third team. WTF? Starters don't lose their place because of injury? But, truthfully, I probably wasn't totally read to come back. i was a step slower, I was tentative about contact and I was 30 lbs lighter, so....I played special teams that year, but I didn't earn my job back.

The guy who started was horrible. Poor technique, sloppy and slow. In practice, he couldn't get it right and couldn't remember the plays. I had relatively perfect technique and memorized everybody's blocking assignments on every play. That's just a center thing. Most of them do it. Anyway...I got ZERO playing time that year and I developed the worst attitude imaginable, as well as a pretty profound personality conflict with my position coach. One day during a drill, when I'd been perfect on execution but the starter couldn't get it right to save his life, I point blank asked the position coach why they played the SOB when it was clear he wasn't worth a ****. I got chewed out for my poor attitude, which I agree, was pretty poor.

I honestly didn't think i was going to finish out the year. I'd worked my ass off to come back from a horrific injury and to not get any playing time, being forced to sit and watch a guy who was arguably the worst center in McNeese history rubbed me the wrong way. Every day at practice and every game, I got pissed off all over again and that sorta stuff is cumulative.

I gave some serious thought to packing it in and transferring to some place else to run track. Northwestern was Div II at the time and had a former Olympic Decathlete, Jerry Dyess, as their track coach. I'd been a hurdler in HS and my first two years in college, and had run relays and done throws, so the idea of trying the decathlon had always appealed to me. At the time, the SLC didn't have the decathlon at the conference meet, so if I wanted to try it, i was gonna have to go someplace else.

But, I'd never quit anything before, and I had five guys from my HS team who were playing at McNeese, so I decided to give it one more shot. That season I lived in the weight room and during the last part of the season, I got my speed back and I stopped being hesitant about contact.

That spring, I went out and made it absolutely impossible for them not to play me. I crushed it in the weight room, recording the highest bench on the team that year, and during spring practice, I worked my ass off. I had some help. The other guy scheduled a late lab that often interferred with scrimmages. The other center that spring was rehabbing afer shoulder surgery so on scrimmage days, i was the only available center, often having to run 1000 feet of film. Every 100 feet of film is about 30 plays, so there were some scrimmages where I was out there for 300 plays. It was one thing to get overlooked by the coaching staff, but when your fellow players see you doing the iron man thing, the coaches have to reevaluate their decisions.

I earned my spot back, and then in the fall, the guy rehabbing his shoulder came back and bounced the previous starter down to third team. He got mad, quit, and transferred to one of the then Div II purple clad schools in Texas and was able to play immediately, where he ended up being a two-year starter there, too.

Not every tale of adversity ends with the good guy living happily ever after. I was fortunate and had any number of the breaks I got not gone that way, I would have ended up sitting the bench the following year. As a player who invests his off season and spare time trying to get into shape and trying to constantly improve, you get pissed off when politics enters the fray.

I can totally see where the kid's at. If I hadn't been a rising senior, I probably would have tried my hand some place else, particularly if the current rules had been available to me.

Good Luck to him!

Daytripper
September 26th, 2018, 09:48 AM
We're all products of a much different world, in a much different time with much different values.

The simple truth is that we don't know what we'd do if we were in this kid's situation, playing under this kid's rules. Nor do we know the backstory.

There's gotta be something more to all of this for SHSU to sit a guy who gained 2000 yards in just two seasons.

Somebody posted his production as compared to the starter this year, and the numbers look pretty comparable. I don't see clear and compelling separation.

Plus, the kid was named as a captain.

We also know that he's under his third OC in as many years, with - ostensibly - a different scheme.

Anecdotally, I have an appreciation for where the kid's at. I played some as a true freshman in 1981, took a redshirt year in 82 to let a couple of seniors graduate and I was the starter at center in the spring of 1983 before a catastrophic knee injury sidelined me. Torn posterior cruciate, torn medial collateral, torn capsule, dislocated knee cap, torn posteromedial corner of the knee, with the medial head of the quadriceps and the medial head of the gastrocnemius torn from their insertions. It was a train wreck.

The guy i'd battled with for the starting job took over. He was a good friend and was a year ahead of me. He blew out his knee in the first game of the year trying to chase down and block Gary Reasons, the Hall of Fame linebacker from Northwestern. That left McNeese with two true freshmen centers to limp through the year with.

I worked my ass off during rehab and I came back the following fall and found myself third team. WTF? Starters don't lose their place because of injury? But, truthfully, I probably wasn't totally read to come back. i was a step slower, I was tentative about contact and I was 30 lbs lighter, so....I played special teams that year, but I didn't earn my job back.

The guy who started was horrible. Poor technique, sloppy and slow. In practice, he couldn't get it right and couldn't remember the plays. I had relatively perfect technique and memorized everybody's blocking assignments on every play. That's just a center thing. Most of them do it. Anyway...I got ZERO playing time that year and I developed the worst attitude imaginable, as well as a pretty profound personality conflict with my position coach. One day during a drill, when I'd been perfect on execution but the starter couldn't get it right to save his life, I point blank asked the position coach why they played the SOB when it was clear he wasn't worth a ****. I got chewed out for my poor attitude, which I agree, was pretty poor.

I honestly didn't think i was going to finish out the year. I'd worked my ass off to come back from a horrific injury and to not get any playing time, being forced to sit and watch a guy who was arguably the worst center in McNeese history rubbed me the wrong way. Every day at practice and every game, I got pissed off all over again and that sorta stuff is cumulative.

I gave some serious thought to packing it in and transferring to some place else to run track. Northwestern was Div II at the time and had a former Olympic Decathlete, Jerry Dyess, as their track coach. I'd been a hurdler in HS and my first two years in college, and had run relays and done throws, so the idea of trying the decathlon had always appealed to me. At the time, the SLC didn't have the decathlon at the conference meet, so if I wanted to try it, i was gonna have to go someplace else.

But, I'd never quit anything before, and I had five guys from my HS team who were playing at McNeese, so I decided to give it one more shot. That season I lived in the weight room and during the last part of the season, I got my speed back and I stopped being hesitant about contact.

That spring, I went out and made it absolutely impossible for them not to play me. I crushed it in the weight room, recording the highest bench on the team that year, and during spring practice, I worked my ass off. I had some help. The other guy scheduled a late lab that often interferred with scrimmages. The other center that spring was rehabbing afer shoulder surgery so on scrimmage days, i was the only available center, often having to run 1000 feet of film. Every 100 feet of film is about 30 plays, so there were some scrimmages where I was out there for 300 plays. It was one thing to get overlooked by the coaching staff, but when your fellow players see you doing the iron man thing, the coaches have to reevaluate their decisions.

I earned my spot back, and then in the fall, the guy rehabbing his shoulder came back and bounced the previous starter down to third team. He got mad, quit, and transferred to one of the then Div II purple clad schools in Texas and was able to play immediately, where he ended up being a two-year starter there, too.

Not every tale of adversity ends with the good guy living happily ever after. I was fortunate and had any number of the breaks I got not gone that way, I would have ended up sitting the bench the following year. As a player who invests his off season and spare time trying to get into shape and trying to constantly improve, you get pissed off when politics enters the fray.

I can totally see where the kid's at. If I hadn't been a rising senior, I probably would have tried my hand some place else, particularly if the current rules had been available to me.

Good Luck to him!

Great story. And I agree with your point of view on Bulmer. Be careful of judging unless you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Sycamore62
September 26th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Its funny how we will question kids actions when they are contrary to the head coach that we all think should be fired. Not necessarily in this situation but ive seen it like that before. I mean if a solid sophomore at Indiana State said F-it im out in 2006 because he identified the new head coach as the worst coach in the history of the program, you would look back on that as the kid being smart.

wcugrad95
September 26th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Bryant and Hurts are a much different situation in my opinion. But when it comes down to the coach, it is easy to see how things go. An FCS school in most cases will just move on and let the guy redshirt (or leave the program) and transfer. With Bryant, Clemson has decided that Trevor Lawrence is the best play at QB. At Alabama, they have decided the same thing with Tua. The difference now becomes those 2 football programs. Saban is not going to let Hurts go (although I guess he could do what Bryant did and just quit the team) because if Tua goes down they are a win-at-all-cost program and have to keep Hurts for insurance. I am actually a little surprised that Dabo was open to the transfer, as Clemson will be in a bad spot if Lawrence gets hurt or starts playing like a Freshman. But Dabo seems to be more than just lip-service in being a player-friendly coach.

But those guys think they have a chance to get drafted (at least Bryant certainly does). I don't see that with Bulmer, but I still don't think he should be forced to stay some place he doesn't want to be. The loyalty thing has gone out the window a long time ago with the way the coaches move to get paid.

Professor
September 26th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Bryant and Hurts are a much different situation in my opinion. But when it comes down to the coach, it is easy to see how things go. An FCS school in most cases will just move on and let the guy redshirt (or leave the program) and transfer. With Bryant, Clemson has decided that Trevor Lawrence is the best play at QB. At Alabama, they have decided the same thing with Tua. The difference now becomes those 2 football programs. Saban is not going to let Hurts go (although I guess he could do what Bryant did and just quit the team) because if Tua goes down they are a win-at-all-cost program and have to keep Hurts for insurance. I am actually a little surprised that Dabo was open to the transfer, as Clemson will be in a bad spot if Lawrence gets hurt or starts playing like a Freshman. But Dabo seems to be more than just lip-service in being a player-friendly coach.

But those guys think they have a chance to get drafted (at least Bryant certainly does). I don't see that with Bulmer, but I still don't think he should be forced to stay some place he doesn't want to be. The loyalty thing has gone out the window a long time ago with the way the coaches move to get paid.

Hurts could leave if he wanted. Difference is he doesn't want too. He graduates in December so he will be gone anyway. Bryant is very hurt that he was removed. And that's why he is cutting ties now.

Now the question is will he have 1 or 2 years left

Daytripper
September 26th, 2018, 10:41 AM

Dabo will let Bryant go likely because a disgruntled backup QB can be a cancer to a locker room. I'm not saying that Bryant would be, but the possibility is there.

wcugrad95
September 26th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Hurts could leave if he wanted. Difference is he doesn't want too. He graduates in December so he will be gone anyway. Bryant is very hurt that he was removed. And that's why he is cutting ties now.

Now the question is will he have 1 or 2 years left

If you are asking about Bryant, he will only have 1 year. If he played 1 more play in the game against Syracuse, he would end his career at the end of this season. It won't matter on Hurts in the sense that he will play and can't redshirt- Saban has already said he needs both so we will see him play more this season and he will also only have 1 more year (he would have to walk away right now or refuse to go in games to get 2 more years). So that is why I am saying it does apply for Hurts as well. If he did what Bryant did, he would have 2. If he stays, Saban will play him making sure he only has 1.

kdinva
September 26th, 2018, 11:38 AM

well......Samford's starting QB is a Senior......just sayin'....

Sammy94
September 26th, 2018, 11:56 AM

3 years to get 2,000 and there is something to it, he is wanting the ball more. I’m sure he will succeed in finding somewhere to play his final season.

Reign of Terrier
September 26th, 2018, 12:47 PM
FWIW Bryant and Hurts situation is much different. Tua proved he was the better QB in the NC game when Hurts had been stagnant all night. That didn't happen at Clemson. If you look at the stat line, Lawrence and Bryant's performances were pretty much the same and they weren't exactly playing world beaters. There wasn't much anything you could point to to say that Bryant deserved to lose the job.

Hurts lost the job in the national title game with a poor performance. Bryant lost it because Dabo got a new toy and wanted to play with it. You can come up with a standard that justifies a player getting benched and Hurts fulfilled it. Bryant didn't.

I'm not a Clemson fan (I went to USC and Wofford), but I had respect for Dabo. I can't say that anymore because he threw a player under the bus by either not giving him enough opportunities to prove himself (their stats are very very similar, attributable to equal playing time) or giving him impossible standards to prove himself. If they have similar production, why go with the freshmen over the guy who led you to the playoff? And the other guy worked hard for you for 4 years. It really doesn't make sense, and unless you're a high school all star you should not go to Clemson because it can happen to anyone.

McNeese75
September 26th, 2018, 02:33 PM
3 years to get 2,000 and there is something to it, he is wanting the ball more. I’m sure he will succeed in finding somewhere to play his final season.

Good thing he is not a McNeese, we have a stable of RB's that are better than him and are operating by committee so probably none of them will have the carries or stats to garner any post season awards. They seem to have this strange "Team" mentality.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2018, 10:24 AM
My point is an employee would have to reimburse an employer for failing to satisfy his contractual commitments. I think it would be a pretty petty move on SHSU's part if they did that here and I kinda doubt they have any legal means to do so. If you want to say that this situation is different from an employee/employer situation I won't argue but the comparison was made to an employee/employer situation so I was drawing the parallels of the consequences of that equation also.

And normal employment absolutely carries those types of breach of contract terms. See how the Buffalo Bills are going after Vontae Davis' signing bonus right now.An NFL contract is not normal employment.

alvin.kmiec
September 27th, 2018, 11:14 AM

The sad thing is here in Texas it’s at will state. A company can fire you because they don’t like the way your hair color or something. So is it fare for a company to fire you at a drop of a hat but you have to give a company two weeks notice? It can’t work both ways.

dgtw
September 27th, 2018, 11:51 AM
You can quit your job anytime you want.

Milktruck74
September 27th, 2018, 01:47 PM
You can quit your job anytime you want.

Not if you are under contract....well, you can quit, but there are consequences. I think colleges will start to write into their scholly offer a clause about quitting mid season to transfer and having to pay back the tuition for that semester....they will not release grades until it is paid for.

clenz
September 27th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Not if you are under contract....well, you can quit, but there are consequences. I think colleges will start to write into their scholly offer a clause about quitting mid season to transfer and having to pay back the tuition for that semester....they will not release grades until it is paid for.
Federal regulations requite tuition - because it's state/federal scholarship/grant dollars being owed and used - be paid in full at the beginning of the semester. Once the semester starts and tuition/scholarships are dispersed there's nothing that can be done about it.

You'd be breaking a handful of federal regulations regarding college tuition/aid by doing that.

I've had my fair share of fights with financial aid and business offices the last couple years while getting my MSL to know that.

dgtw
September 27th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Barry Sanders was two years into a six year contract when he retired unexpectedly. The Lions sued to get his signing bonus back and he had to repay 1/6 of his bonus once a year for four years.

cx500d
September 27th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Federal regulations requite tuition - because it's state/federal scholarship/grant dollars being owed and used - be paid in full at the beginning of the semester. Once the semester starts and tuition/scholarships are dispersed there's nothing that can be done about it.

You'd be breaking a handful of federal regulations regarding college tuition/aid by doing that.

I've had my fair share of fights with financial aid and business offices the last couple years while getting my MSL to know that.

I'm not sure I believe this assertion. My son got an Army ROTC scholarship and went to the University of Wyoming. The main problem being the only class he went to was ROTC...It came close to the end of the semester and the ROTC commander got wind of his grades (or lack of grades) and pulled his scholarship, my son officially flunked all his classes, and he owed the entire semester of tuition with no means to pay it (I sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it). They eventually sent it to collections and when my son finally got his act together and applied to a local community college, he put in his application he went one semester to the University of Wyoming; of course then they required a transcript which Wyoming wouldn't release unless he started paying on his debt...He started paying (its paid off now), the school released his transcript and he eventually graduated from UT with a geology degree. I told him he was a dumbass for telling them on his application he went to Wyoming for a quarter.

The bottom line was the federal government apparently was able to pull back his tuition (or they have some sort of special agreement to pay at the end of a semester).

Daytripper
September 27th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Transcript of an interview with Bulmer: https://houstonianonline.com/2018/09/27/houstonian-exclusive-1-on-1-with-remis-bulmer/

He gives his reasoning...

Derby City Duke
September 27th, 2018, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure I believe this assertion. My son got an Army ROTC scholarship and went to the University of Wyoming. The main problem being the only class he went to was ROTC...It came close to the end of the semester and the ROTC commander got wind of his grades (or lack of grades) and pulled his scholarship, my son officially flunked all his classes, and he owed the entire semester of tuition with no means to pay it (I sure as hell wasn't going to pay for it). They eventually sent it to collections and when my son finally got his act together and applied to a local community college, he put in his application he went one semester to the University of Wyoming; of course then they required a transcript which Wyoming wouldn't release unless he started paying on his debt...He started paying (its paid off now), the school released his transcript and he eventually graduated from UT with a geology degree. I told him he was a dumbass for telling them on his application he went to Wyoming for a quarter.

The bottom line was the federal government apparently was able to pull back his tuition (or they have some sort of special agreement to pay at the end of a semester).

For Army ROTC scholarship Cadets, their tuition is paid by the Army (Cadet Command @ Ft. Knox) during each semester, not at the end. In situations like your son's I'm surprised the payment was going to Wyoming -- it should've been going to the Federal Treasury. I worked in Cadet Command for 7 years, both at a school and a Brigade HQ and that was my experience when kids had to reimburse tuition. Once he flunked his classes, the ROTC department notifies the school that the student's scholarship has been suspended for the next semester or terminated. Tuition then becomes the responsibility of the student if he remains in school.

Glad your son got it together and on his feet!

cx500d
September 27th, 2018, 11:10 PM
For Army ROTC scholarship Cadets, their tuition is paid by the Army (Cadet Command @ Ft. Knox) during each semester, not at the end. In situations like your son's I'm surprised the payment was going to Wyoming -- it should've been going to the Federal Treasury. I worked in Cadet Command for 7 years, both at a school and a Brigade HQ and that was my experience when kids had to reimburse tuition. Once he flunked his classes, the ROTC department notifies the school that the student's scholarship has been suspended for the next semester or terminated. Tuition then becomes the responsibility of the student if he remains in school.

Glad your son got it together and on his feet!

I wasn't sure how the money got transferred; I don't know how the school is compensated - I would assume Wyoming gets paid somehow by the government, but I distinctly remember the school held the debt on him and held his transcript (or lack of transcript) over his head. Not sure why he didn't get the bill directly from Uncle Sugar. Quite frankly, I was somewhat surprised he got the bill for that semester of school (because I thought the $ would have already been paid at the beginning of the semester like everyone else has to do). He left Wyoming actually around or just before finals when he realized he had no hope of passing and the commander had already said he pulled his scholarship. There was no way he was going to afford out of state rates the next semester because I already told him I wasn't paying for it.

That said, as a taxpayer I was pissed that $ went straight down the **itter due to his lazy ass, so in someway I'm glad they stuck it to him or somehow got reimbursed. As a parent I was extremely disappointed in his throwing away an opportunity of a lifetime. He has stated to me that he deeply regrets pissing away that opportunity and is embarrassed by it, so I am glad he hopefully learned something.

After he made good on his debt and finished community college and transferred to UT, I let him use my post 911 GI Bill for his last two years, so he escaped college with no debt anyway.

Derby City Duke
September 28th, 2018, 10:23 AM
I wasn't sure how the money got transferred; I don't know how the school is compensated - I would assume Wyoming gets paid somehow by the government, but I distinctly remember the school held the debt on him and held his transcript (or lack of transcript) over his head. Not sure why he didn't get the bill directly from Uncle Sugar. Quite frankly, I was somewhat surprised he got the bill for that semester of school (because I thought the $ would have already been paid at the beginning of the semester like everyone else has to do). He left Wyoming actually around or just before finals when he realized he had no hope of passing and the commander had already said he pulled his scholarship. There was no way he was going to afford out of state rates the next semester because I already told him I wasn't paying for it.

That said, as a taxpayer I was pissed that $ went straight down the **itter due to his lazy ass, so in someway I'm glad they stuck it to him or somehow got reimbursed. As a parent I was extremely disappointed in his throwing away an opportunity of a lifetime. He has stated to me that he deeply regrets pissing away that opportunity and is embarrassed by it, so I am glad he hopefully learned something.

After he made good on his debt and finished community college and transferred to UT, I let him use my post 911 GI Bill for his last two years, so he escaped college with no debt anyway.

Good on ya for letting him use your GI Bill -- I had retired the 2nd time before they told us we could only transfer our GI Bill benefits while on active duty. Pissed me off because my youngest (college sophomore) will take probably 6-8 years in school (she's deaf, but wears bi-lateral cochlear implants) and wants to be an audiologist. She could use the money/help.

FormerPokeCenter
September 28th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Transcript of an interview with Bulmer: https://houstonianonline.com/2018/09/27/houstonian-exclusive-1-on-1-with-remis-bulmer/

He gives his reasoning...

Sounds like he's got his **** together...."I don't want to bash the program." "I just want to play"...."It's fresh, so people are talking about it. in two weeks, nobody's going to care."

That last one made me a fan....

cx500d
September 28th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Good on ya for letting him use your GI Bill -- I had retired the 2nd time before they told us we could only transfer our GI Bill benefits while on active duty. Pissed me off because my youngest (college sophomore) will take probably 6-8 years in school (she's deaf, but wears bi-lateral cochlear implants) and wants to be an audiologist. She could use the money/help.

There have been a lot of people caught with GI Bill transfer issues because of the vagaries of the laws and policies. They continue to mess around with policies and are implementing a change next year where you can't transfer past 16 years service, which I think is kind of a dick move as some people are still having kids at that time and won't be able to transfer to the new kids if they have more than 16 years service. It should be a earned benefit, and saying its going to be used as a retention tool for younger service members only (we don't worry about people with 16 years in because we know they will stay in for 4 more years). Doesn't affect me personally. I still have about half time on mine and cant transfer it to anybody else. I need to figure out what I can do with it.

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Department of Defense released changes to department policy on the transfer by service members in the Uniformed Services of "Post-9/11 GI Bill" education benefits to eligible family member, July 12.

Effective July 12, 2019, eligibility to transfer those benefits will be limited to service members with less than 16 years of total service, active duty service and/or selected Reserves as applicable.

Previously, there were no restrictions on when service members could transfer education benefits to their family members. The provision for a Sailor to have at least six years of service to apply to transfer benefits remains unchanged.

"After a thorough review of the policy, we saw a need to focus on retention in a time of increased growth of the Armed Forces," said Stephanie Miller, Director of Accessions Policy, Office of the Secretary of Defense. "This change continues to allow career service members that earned this benefit to share it with their family members while they continue to serve." She added "this change is an important step to preserve the distinction of transferability as a retention incentive."

clenz
October 16th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Interested to see the reaction to very similar news

Nick Bosa, of Ohio State, has decided to withdraw from Ohio State to focus on training for the NFL.

Should OSU go after him like SHSU is going after Remus?

Daytripper
October 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM

Nick Bosa, of Ohio State, has decided to withdraw from Ohio State to focus on training for the NFL.

Nah. Bosa's future NFL career will help the OSU profile. Remus's future, not so much.

clenz
October 16th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Can OSU’s profile get “better”?

Daytripper
October 16th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Can OSU’s profile get “better”?

Well, maybe not. Bosa will just keep it near the top.

F'N Hawks
October 16th, 2018, 03:20 PM

Is he injured?

clenz
October 16th, 2018, 06:00 PM
He could play again. Rather than come back he withdrew from school.

Cocky
October 16th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Will he get a degree? or will he have to transfer to North Caroliina?

clenz
October 16th, 2018, 08:55 PM
No degree.
Not trying to get to grad school.
Nothing

Just up and quit the team and withdrew from school completely.

Remus is finishing the semester and graduating a year early and trying to get into grad school.
Bosa doesn't want to finish another year of college football, finish his degree, or be around his team anymore.

So, while Remus is using his scholarship money - that the school is trying to rip away from him - to finish his degree and get full use of the money, Bosa is taking that scholarship money and literally throwing it down the drain at OSU. He's already been in school the 2 weeks required by federal law to receive aid and count as a full time student. He's taking a semester of Ws (I'm assuming he isn't taking Fs....though typically you can only have 2 or 3 Ws on your transcript and still graduate...not that he cares, obviously, but future plans of "going back" like a decent number of athletes do when they're done).

A good amount of outrage over Remus but nothing over Bosa. AAMoF, social media is praising Bosa for his decision.

Cocky
October 16th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Each his own. Neither are bothering my family, most anyone else or me so go for it young man. And best of luck.

katss07
October 16th, 2018, 10:39 PM
I’m not going to really touch on Remus. I don’t agree with the way he is going about this, but it is his decision. All I have to say is...Kyran Jackson is one hell of a back and Remus was co featuring with him. With KJ being the main guy our run game has improved.

So, on field wise, this team is better without Bulmer.

Daytripper
October 17th, 2018, 07:29 AM
I’m not going to really touch on Remus. I don’t agree with the way he is going about this, but it is his decision. All I have to say is...Kyran Jackson is one hell of a back and Remus was co featuring with him. With KJ being the main guy our run game has improved.

So, on field wise, this team is better without Bulmer.

This is true.

katstrapper
October 17th, 2018, 04:58 PM

He isn't going to the pros so there was no reason to leave. He was getting the same number of carries, but KJ is a better back. Very disappointed he decided to up and leave at a tough time during the season.

Katfan
October 17th, 2018, 06:38 PM
No degree.
Not trying to get to grad school.
Nothing

Just up and quit the team and withdrew from school completely.

Remus is finishing the semester and graduating a year early and trying to get into grad school.
Bosa doesn't want to finish another year of college football, finish his degree, or be around his team anymore.

So, while Remus is using his scholarship money - that the school is trying to rip away from him - to finish his degree and get full use of the money, Bosa is taking that scholarship money and literally throwing it down the drain at OSU. He's already been in school the 2 weeks required by federal law to receive aid and count as a full time student. He's taking a semester of Ws (I'm assuming he isn't taking Fs....though typically you can only have 2 or 3 Ws on your transcript and still graduate...not that he cares, obviously, but future plans of "going back" like a decent number of athletes do when they're done).

A good amount of outrage over Remus but nothing over Bosa. AAMoF, social media is praising Bosa for his decision.
Not sure what you mean by rip away his scholarship, he had an athletic scholarship and he decided not to play. So if he should get a free ride then so should everybody! Maybe that’s your point but he decided to leave and give up his scholarship not the school!

Sammy94
October 18th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Why would you think you should be on a football scholarship if you’re not playing football? Plenty of student athletes still grinding that are not on scholarship, Keeler can now award that scholarship to another.
Did he really think they wouldn’t take it away? If I decide to leave my job for another, that job quits paying me no matter what my accomplishments were, it was my choice to leave.

PAllen
October 18th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Pathetic move by Boss. Of course, I doubt he's been in a class where he even needed to spell his name, so no big loss. Do these guys not realize how they are being used and the golden opportunity that they are passing on?

Bisonoline
October 18th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Pathetic move by Boss. Of course, I doubt he's been in a class where he even needed to spell his name, so no big loss. Do these guys not realize how they are being used and the golden opportunity that they are passing on?

Actually when many of these guys dont attend class they are the ones using the system. They have no intention of getting a degree and are their to play football.
Not to mention those that know whats important then they use the system to full advantage and walk away with a degree, contacts and memories that will last a lifetime.

Daytripper
October 19th, 2018, 08:24 AM

A handful of college athletes will actually make a living playing their sport. Those that are self-aware recognize that they aren't professional material know they will need their degree to succeed in life and will take advantage of the education. But, there are those that are so physically gifted that college is simply a means to an end. That end is playing professionally. The problem is that many of these kids think they are professional material but they are not. Those are the ones that will have regrets.

In the case of Bosa, I would do what he did if it were me. He will be a multi-millionaire as long as he doesn't suffer a severe injury. Playing football this season is a risk. Stay healthy and get paid. If, for whatever reason, his career is cut short, he's got the money to go back to school and finish his degree if he chooses.

clenz
October 19th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Why would you think you should be on a football scholarship if you’re not playing football? Plenty of student athletes still grinding that are not on scholarship, Keeler can now award that scholarship to another.
Did he really think they wouldn’t take it away? If I decide to leave my job for another, that job quits paying me no matter what my accomplishments were, it was my choice to leave.

That’s not how financial aid works.

Tuition has already been paid. Scholarships already applies.

Retroactively pulling a scholarship, crediting a student financial account and recharging that same financial account is....well....against a number of federal regulations regarding financial aid.

Also can’t retroactively give a scholarship. Once it’s given and applied to the account that’s it. Especially this far into the semester.

IBleedYellow
October 19th, 2018, 12:21 PM
SHSU fans need to realize this. Keeler is acting like a giant douche and handling this very poorly.

That's the only optics that matter.

Realize it's not the facts that matter to 90% of the country. It's how it looks from the outside.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Daytripper
October 19th, 2018, 04:15 PM
SHSU fans need to realize this. Keeler is acting like a giant douche and handling this very poorly.

That's the only optics that matter.

Realize it's not the facts that matter to 90% of the country. It's how it looks from the outside.

I'm curious if there are other internal issues going on here that we might not be aware of?

IBleedYellow
October 19th, 2018, 08:21 PM
I'm curious if there are other internal issues going on here that we might not be aware of?There would have to be... Or that's a bad look for a coach.

clenz
October 19th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Can’t be a whole lot of the dean of students is writing him recommendations for grad school and supporting him on twitter...🤷🏿*♂️

kdinva
December 7th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Bump

Schism55
December 7th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Sam Houston to The Citadel, that's quite a big change

Panther88
December 8th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Happy for Remus and hope it works out for his advantage in the grad program. He’s a bearkat alum so I would think other bearkats are elated and proud that he completed what he started w/ them while contributing on the field of play to help earn numerous victories AND staying out of trouble off the field of play while maintaining high character during his eligibility period.

He’s furthering his academic career so most should root for him in that regard as well. I also think Cit alums should also feel proud maintaining their great standard of admittance for high character and intelligent student-athletes as well or is the infamous just play ball, dummy, and we could GAFF about you or your matriculation still at play?

In an odd twist of sorts, I pull for native born texan student-athletes who transfer out of texas schools and then return to texas and hammer texas schools w/ their talents/gifts xlolx . See big namers like Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray for more recent examples of this great anomaly. :D