PDA

View Full Version : JMU @ Richmond

Derby City Duke
September 24th, 2018, 10:46 AM
It's Tick week for the Dukes; Ticks, Spatters, whatever you want to call them, JMU travels the 123 miles from Bridgeforth Stadium to Robins Stadium (better known as Bridgeforth East) to battle their most bitter rivals, the Richmond Spiders.

Weird stuff happens in this game quite often -- the Dukes can ill-afford a letdown as the next 3 games are against Elon, Villanova, and Stony Brook.

It was in the 2nd half of this game 2 years ago that Bob Trott's defense figured it out; they'd only held 2 opponents under 20 before that week; after Tick week, the Dukes only gave up more than 20 once -- 22 to UNH in a 55-22 playoff beatdown. Teams averaged under 15 pts/game after the UR game.

I expect that JMU alums and fans will have bought up a significant portion of the sweater vest-wearing UR 'faithful' seats and the Spatters stadium will be decked mostly in purple on Saturday.

Discuss! :)

MR. CHICKEN
September 24th, 2018, 10:48 AM
WHAT'S TA SAY............ARACHNIDS.....HEADED...FO' RHODEY'S.....OL' SPOT...........BRAWK!

jmu007
September 24th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Stadiums with a track around the field stink. That’s what I think.

MacThor
September 24th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Spiders 39-7.

If we hack the scoreboard and flip the names.

Really, I got nothin'.

knit35
September 24th, 2018, 01:12 PM
I remember my first beer.

RootinFerDukes
September 24th, 2018, 02:58 PM
JMU will have their third consecutive home game this week. The ticks always have trouble playing in the bread box against the JMU crowd.

jmu007
September 25th, 2018, 05:23 PM
This week used to be fun. Now I have scroll to page 2 to even find the thread.

Matt
September 26th, 2018, 09:57 AM
you guys are going to kick our asses

jmu007
September 26th, 2018, 11:48 AM
At this rate I don’t think I’ll even be able to get a bet in Saturday morning. Line opened at -24 and is already up to -32 in some places.

grizband
September 26th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Stadiums with a track around the field stink. That’s what I think.
AGS Official Rules: Not a stadium

RootinFerDukes
September 26th, 2018, 02:43 PM
AGS Official Rules: Not a stadium

They lowered their capacity even more by 500 to try and keep us out. It's absolutely pitiful.

Derby City Duke
September 26th, 2018, 03:54 PM
They lowered their capacity even more by 500 to try and keep us out. It's absolutely pitiful.

Ticket price for this game is well above their other home games; they are really trying hard to keep the purple out this year.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/though-tickets-are-scarce-jmu-purple-passion-will-be-prevalent/article_cf29b10b-d862-5b3b-9758-c4e57867504d.html

KPSUL
September 26th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Ticket price for this game is well above their other home games; they are really trying hard to keep the purple out this year.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/though-tickets-are-scarce-jmu-purple-passion-will-be-prevalent/article_cf29b10b-d862-5b3b-9758-c4e57867504d.html

Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2680809#post2680809)

How does an online ticket purchasing process used by Richmond deny JMU fans the ability to purchase tickets? The game is sold-out clear and simple. If Richmond finds that an 8700 seat stadium meets the University's needs that's their business. Every CAA team restricts block visitor tickets to regular season games in a very similar manner. JMU's visitor section, Section 8, is as bad as any schools - adjacent to the end zone and so close to the video/score board that there is no view of it. There is also a lot less than 1000 seats there - I'd say more like 400. Like at JMU, or any other CAA school, if any fan wants a tickets to a Richmond game after the visitor block is no longer available, they can go to the Richmond website and buy them. If the game is sold out by the time they try to buy them, that's their tough luck. Go to Stub Hub and pay a premium or stay home.

If thousands of JMU fans want to come to New Hampshire to see the Dukes play, I'm sure there are still thousands of tickets available on the visitor side - and they'll be able to see the video board, it's set back further and is larger than yours. We'd be happy to take their money.

Top Dawg
September 26th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2680809#post2680809)

How does an online ticket purchasing process used by Richmond deny JMU fans the ability to purchase tickets? The game is sold-out clear and simple. If Richmond finds that an 8700 seat stadium meets the University's needs that's their business. Every CAA team restricts block visitor tickets to regular season games in a very similar manner. JMU's visitor section, Section 8, is as bad as any schools - adjacent to the end zone and so close to the video/score board that there is no view of it. There is also a lot less than 1000 seats there - I'd say more like 400. Like at JMU, or any other CAA school, if any fan wants a tickets to a Richmond game after the visitor block is no longer available, they can go to the Richmond website and buy them. If the game is sold out by the time they try to buy them, that's their tough luck. Go to Stub Hub and pay a premium or stay home.

If thousands of JMU fans want to come to New Hampshire to see the Dukes play, I'm sure there are still thousands of tickets available on the visitor side - and they'll be able to see the video board, it's set back further and is larger than yours. We'd be happy to take their money.

You sound very bitter. JMU does set aside the required 1,000 tickets for visitors. Section 401 is also used for visitors if the demand is there, but very few schools have ever used that many. Congrats on having larger video board than JMU!

KPSUL
September 26th, 2018, 09:23 PM
You sound very bitter. JMU does set aside the required 1,000 tickets for visitors. Section 401 is also used for visitors if the demand is there, but very few schools have ever used that many. Congrats on having larger video board than JMU!

Thanks for confirming my point, JMU functions exactly like Richmond and every other CAA program when it comes to visitor blocks and ticket sales so quit sniveling about getting tickets to Richmond games, we heard the same crap two years ago.

RootinFerDukes
September 26th, 2018, 09:44 PM
They had a 20,000 seat stadium and chose to downgrade to an 8,000 seat stadium. Find an instance in college football where there was a voluntary downgrade in seating capacity. You won’t find many.

It is their choice to downgrade, and it’s my choice to give them crap for it every two years.

hktribefan
September 27th, 2018, 01:46 AM
I'm one for ragging on Richmond, but when you say they downgraded from 20k to 8k it's missing a lot of context. City stadium was that size because it's been that way since the 1600s. When they built a stadium on campus, they looked at attendance, and made a choice based on that. I'm sure you would love to think that in the planning meeting they sat down and said "gee when the purple crowd rolls in we really want to deny them tickets, so we're going to build a smaller stadium just to spite them" but that's not really how life works. Also, if you're using size as the only measure for upgrade or downgrade (insert joke about size and rebuttal about how you use it here), you're missing a fair amount. City stadium was...special.

RootinFerDukes
September 27th, 2018, 05:30 AM
I'm one for ragging on Richmond, but when you say they downgraded from 20k to 8k it's missing a lot of context. City stadium was that size because it's been that way since the 1600s. When they built a stadium on campus, they looked at attendance, and made a choice based on that. I'm sure you would love to think that in the planning meeting they sat down and said "gee when the purple crowd rolls in we really want to deny them tickets, so we're going to build a smaller stadium just to spite them" but that's not really how life works. Also, if you're using size as the only measure for upgrade or downgrade (insert joke about size and rebuttal about how you use it here), you're missing a fair amount. City stadium was...special.

The bathrooms may be nicer but it’s still a downgrade. In college football, size does matter. They made a commitment to be small time. I get it.

SkinsWizDukes
September 27th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Let’s be honest - 8700 is too big of a stadium for them.

RootinFerDukes
September 27th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Let’s be honest - 8700 is too big of a stadium for them.

In reality, it is, but they were "selling out" games consistently yet somehow justified taking away the end zone bleachers to make it 8200 this off season. Who does that when they're consistently "selling out" games? That's quite some mismanagement.

kdinva
September 27th, 2018, 07:36 AM
I'm one for ragging on Richmond....When they built a stadium on campus, they looked at attendance, and made a choice based on that.

Also, this keeps VMI & JMU from bringing 4500+ to games, W&M brought 3,000+ to city stadium, even heard a couple of times Delaware brought over 2,500......also the metro-area lost $$$$$$ for hotels, food, etc.....

Sitting Bull
September 27th, 2018, 07:57 AM
The smaller on campus stadium was in part an effort to provide UR a home field advantage. The reality at City Stadium was a neutral setting when playing W&M, JMU and VMI.

I thought the CAA required a 1000 ticket allocation to the visiting team?

Dukie95
September 27th, 2018, 09:31 AM
I do miss those bathrooms at City Stadium.....we'll always have Delaware, I guess.

kdinva
September 27th, 2018, 01:43 PM
https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-richmond/ur-s-leading-receiver-dejon-brissett-will-miss-rest-of/article_52f6d5ad-d1ea-50f0-8798-f949f1060618.html

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/there-will-be-familiar-faces-aplenty-when-dukes-spiders-reconvene/article_7a853a48-c9e1-56a1-9114-1240ca03bd54.html

MacThor
September 27th, 2018, 05:57 PM
They had a 20,000 seat stadium and chose to downgrade to an 8,000 seat stadium. Find an instance in college football where there was a voluntary downgrade in seating capacity. You won’t find many.

It is their choice to downgrade, and it’s my choice to give them crap for it every two years.

Did you play at City Stadium? I did. No sane person would consider Robins Stadium a downgrade.
You also realize that UR did not own City Stadium, and could not compel the city to upgrade the now 90-year-old facilities.
The home stands at City Stadium have been essentially condemned for several years. I don't know the seating capacity of the former visitors' side (the arc-shape), but that's the only place where spectators are allowed to sit any more. I imagine the capacity is now similar to Robins Stadium.
But you know all this, and continue the narrative.

Yes, we removed the end zone bleachers, which except for JMU and W&M games were sparsely used. The Red Zone Hospitality tents likely bring in more revenue than those bleachers, and they're awesome - open bar at field level? Count me in!
The idea that any of these decisions had anything to do with "keeping the purple out?" That's what's pitiful.

KPSUL
September 27th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Did you play at City Stadium? I did. No sane person would consider Robins Stadium a downgrade.
You also realize that UR did not own City Stadium, and could not compel the city to upgrade the now 90-year-old facilities.
The home stands at City Stadium have been essentially condemned for several years. I don't know the seating capacity of the former visitors' side (the arc-shape), but that's the only place where spectators are allowed to sit any more. I imagine the capacity is now similar to Robins Stadium.
But you know all this, and continue the narrative.

Yes, we removed the end zone bleachers, which except for JMU and W&M games were sparsely used. The Red Zone Hospitality tents likely bring in more revenue than those bleachers, and they're awesome - open bar at field level? Count me in!
The idea that any of these decisions had anything to do with "keeping the purple out?" That's what's pitiful.

UNH removed the bleachers we had behind one end zone before this season started as well, and for essentially the same financial reasons as Richmond- although more for upscale food services - our beer garden is in the corner of the new side of the stadium. I was at the UNH @ Maine game and they have a beer garden behind the south end zone.

I've been to games at both City Stadium and the new Robins - Robins is clear improvement and is a great on-campus asset for the University.

paward
September 27th, 2018, 09:53 PM
I believe we will win! I believe we will win!i believe we will win!

Professor Chaos
September 27th, 2018, 10:38 PM

If you want to see a professional operation of keeping opposing fans out of your stadium pay attention to what the South Dakota schools do when they get NDSU at home. They would rather see empty seats than opposing fans in those seats... even if those opposing fans were to pay a premium to their school to sit there.

TheKingpin28
September 27th, 2018, 10:55 PM
UNH removed the bleachers we had behind one end zone before this season started as well, and for essentially the same financial reasons as Richmond- although more for upscale food services - our beer garden is in the corner of the new side of the stadium. I was at the UNH @ Maine game and they have a beer garden behind the south end zone.

I've been to games at both City Stadium and the new Robins - Robins is clear improvement and is a great on-campus asset for the University.

You do have a nice beer garden and I love the long walk up the walkway to the home side.

RootinFerDukes
September 28th, 2018, 08:04 AM
If you want to see a professional operation of keeping opposing fans out of your stadium pay attention to what the South Dakota schools do when they get NDSU at home. They would rather see empty seats than opposing fans in those seats... even if those opposing fans were to pay a premium to their school to sit there.

Nobody share that with UR's administration. There's already been countless, clear examples of them trying to restrict ticket access to visiting fans.

Maybe put a product on the field that people would care enough to see and the problem will solve itself?

MacThor
September 28th, 2018, 01:40 PM
There's already been countless, clear examples of them trying to restrict ticket access to visiting fans.

Do tell.

StrikeJMU
September 28th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Too many hipsters in Richmond for me, I'll be watching from my sectional.

caribbeanhen
September 28th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Too many hipsters in Richmond for me, I'll be watching from my sectional.

Brooklyn get to expensive? I thought the Hipsters were in Norfolk.....

StrikeJMU
September 28th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Brooklyn get to expensive? I thought the Hipsters were in Norfolk.....

https://www.richmond.com/entertainment/richmond-is-the-fifth-most-hipster-city-in-america/article_a244d6c3-2273-5273-9f8a-1cdae54a96f2.html

Ranked 5th most hipster city in the country.

Doooks
September 29th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Anyone at the game? I'm watching online. It's pretty boring.

Doooks
September 29th, 2018, 04:51 PM
JMU 63
UR 10

7:51 left to play

Schism55
September 29th, 2018, 04:59 PM
JMU 63
UR 10

7:51 left to play
Damn, JMU throwing haymakers today!

TheKingpin28
September 29th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Damn, JMU throwing streamers today!

FYP

jmufan999
September 29th, 2018, 08:27 PM
i need a cigarette

KPSUL
September 30th, 2018, 11:22 AM
You do have a nice beer garden and I love the long walk up the walkway to the home side.

Should work out well this year, nice place to go and drown our sorrows!

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Should work out well this year, nice place to go and drown our sorrows!

That's why I support the Wild. I get a reason to drink my sorrows away while also screaming at the TV.

It is something similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8