PDA

View Full Version : WCU open spring practice; Briggs begins 6th year

catamount man
March 24th, 2007, 11:27 AM
http://catamountsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032307aaa.html

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

GaSouthern
March 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM
after last year is he on the choping block? I expected WCU to be my big underdog pick, I was wrong. Good luck next year Catz

catamount man
March 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
No. In fact, he got a 3 year extension after only 1 game into the 2006 season. Certain people supported it(like myself) and a host of others loathed it. There's no middle ground with Kent it seems. Either you love him or you hate him for some reason.

He will always have my friendship and utmost respect for

a)beating cancer while continuing to coach in 2005
b)putting up with enormous piles of **** while in his tenure in Cullowhee from fans, certain players and their parents, and lazy asst.coaches.
c)lastly, being a Catamount.

I really hope and pray he gets it turned around and surpasses the great Bob Waters, his mentor, legacy and record in Cullowhee.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Zoo
March 25th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Good luck for you guys this year. :D

Kill'em
March 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
It's been disappointing to see WCU the last couple of years after I thought they would make the playoffs but I really respect a man who continued to do his job while facing cancer. That shows a lot about the man's character. Best wishes for The Cats and look foward to seeing you in OUR HOUSE this fall.

catamount man
March 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
It's been disappointing to see WCU the last couple of years after I thought they would make the playoffs but I really respect a man who continued to do his job while facing cancer. That shows a lot about the man's character. Best wishes for The Cats and look foward to seeing you in OUR HOUSE this fall.

Kent is one hell of a fighter and I believe better days are coming for WCU football. Hopefully, we'll put up a fight, a la 2003, at Statesboro this September. Good luck.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Kent is one hell of a fighter and I believe better days are coming for WCU football. Hopefully, we'll put up a fight, a la 2003, at Statesboro this September. Good luck.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
I respect that you are friends with him and he has beaten cancer and all but it is amazing to me that a man can get an extension on his contract when his teams are so bad. No offense because I would love to see WCU be competitive and this man do well but it just isnt working out right now.xrolleyesx

Eyes of Old Main
March 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I think everyone respects Briggs for what he's been through. I hope things get better up there soon, WCU certainly has had it's share of bad luck recently. Maybe 2007 will bring better luck for the Cats.

catamount man
March 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I respect that you are friends with him and he has beaten cancer and all but it is amazing to me that a man can get an extension on his contract when his teams are so bad. No offense because I would love to see WCU be competitive and this man do well but it just isnt working out right now.xrolleyesx

No offense, but no coaching staff could've worked wonders with what we had to go through in 2006 with 4 asst.coaches leaving months before the season, the head strength coach leaving a mere 2 weeks before camp started, hiring 2 young(under 30) coaches who've had limited college coaching, 1 was coaching high school in fact, a mere 2 weeks before camp started and then losing 4 defensive linemen in the Furman game.

Not to mention 2-3 kids getting kicked off the team for academic and/or other personal issues plus other kids rebelling against the coaching staff during practices and/or games. And these just aren't sour grapes due to lack of playing time, this was kids cussing out coaches when the coaches were doing what they thought was the best way to win the games. Believe me, it was a mess. Hopefully, it's all behind us, I hope. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

gvilleapp
March 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm of course not close to the WCU situation, but I would think Western would be wise to stick with him for the next several years. I read the comments from Coach Briggs and your AD that were posted last month and I think they are doing all they can to turn your program around. By switching to the spread, Western will be more attractive to a lot more high school players which is critical if you are going to improve your talent level and move up the SoCon pecking order. Much of the roadmap he laid out looks like the Appalachian plan started back several years ago by Coach Moore and that has worked out well for us.

Best of luck in '07 except 11-10.

Appdad
March 25th, 2007, 07:26 PM
a)beating cancer while continuing to coach in 2005

He gets my vote!:)

catamount man
March 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I'm of course not close to the WCU situation, but I would think Western would be wise to stick with him for the next several years. I read the comments from Coach Briggs and your AD that were posted last month and I think they are doing all they can to turn your program around. By switching to the spread, Western will be more attractive to a lot more high school players which is critical if you are going to improve your talent level and move up the SoCon pecking order. Much of the roadmap he laid out looks like the Appalachian plan started back several years ago by Coach Moore and that has worked out well for us.

Best of luck in '07 except 11-10.

You know the old saying. If you can't beat them...;) xthumbsupx

In all seriousness, anything is better than what we had in 2006. I thought WCU had some good offenses in Briggs 1st 2 years back in 2002 and 2003. Pat Cilento and Brian Gaither both put up some remarkable numbers those 2 seasons, but the defense suffered. The last 3 years, it's been vice versa. Maybe BOTH will be on the same page in 2007. See y'all November 10th.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Kill'em
March 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=catamount man]No offense, but no coaching staff could've worked wonders with what we had to go through in 2006 with 4 asst.coaches leaving months before the season, the head strength coach leaving a mere 2 weeks before camp started, hiring 2 young(under 30) coaches who've had limited college coaching, 1 was coaching high school in fact, QUOTE]
This sounds like our current staff.

The Cats
March 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM
No offense, but no coaching staff could've worked wonders with what we had to go through in 2006 with 4 asst.coaches leaving months before the season, the head strength coach leaving a mere 2 weeks before camp started, hiring 2 young(under 30) coaches who've had limited college coaching, 1 was coaching high school in fact, a mere 2 weeks before camp started and then losing 4 defensive linemen in the Furman game.

Not to mention 2-3 kids getting kicked off the team for academic and/or other personal issues plus other kids rebelling against the coaching staff during practices and/or games. And these just aren't sour grapes due to lack of playing time, this was kids cussing out coaches when the coaches were doing what they thought was the best way to win the games. Believe me, it was a mess. Hopefully, it's all behind us, I hope. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

No offense catamountman, but everything you listed (except losing 4 defensive linemen in the Furman game) is the Head Coach's responsibility.

Assist Coaches, come and go, all were hired by Kent, maybe he did not set up a work condition that made them want to stay?

The kids getting kicked off the team for academic and/or other personal issues, again, all were recruited by Briggs.

Kids rebelling against the coaching staff during practices and/or games, once again, kids recruited by Briggs.

Kids cussing out coaches, here again, the coaches were hired by Briggs and the kids recruited by Briggs (which ever was at fault - all brought to the program by Briggs).

I know you are a Briggs supporter, BUT the majority of the situations occuring last year, had Kent Briggs either directly or indirectly involved. He either hired or recurited/gave scholarships to all involved in the sorry mess that was the 2006 season.