PDA

View Full Version : YSU at West. Ill.

Paladin1aa
September 24th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Big game as YSU visits WIU. Both are 1-2 and both potentially will have losing seasons. As I reviewed preseason, this game was used to break my projection of 5-5 to a 6-5 record instead of a 5-6 YSU record. Both have been spotty on D and erratic on O. The QBs, however , may decide this one. In a close one, YSU by 3.

Discuss.

ysubigred
September 24th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Big game as YSU visits WIU. Both are 1-2 and both potentially will have losing seasons. As I reviewed preseason, this game was used to break my projection of 5-5 to a 6-5 record instead of a 5-6 YSU record. Both have been spotty on D and erratic on O. The QBs, however , may decide this one. In a close one, YSU by 3.

Discuss.

I'm not sure what to think of either team. Watching the WVU K State game YSU handled WVU as well defensively and faired better on "O",, just ran out of gas without the depth K-State has. WIU is a dangerous team. YSU can't fall behind early.

I like YSU by 6.

Forgot to add,, I hope YSU don't need a field goal to win it xrolleyesx

MR. CHICKEN
September 24th, 2018, 10:52 AM
.....AH GOT....OWN-LAH ONE WORD...........BUTLER..........xviolinx........... .BRAWK!

Paladin1aa
September 24th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Yes, chicken man, a defining moment. That showed exactly what Bozo has been recruiting here. Sorry Red, but I wateched the WVU game and it was a blowout. 21-7 at half, 42-17 after 3 and 52-17 final. YSU gave up 289 yds on the ground and 336 passing on 21-26 for 4 TDS. Total of 625 yds. And WVU used a vanilla O so nothing was exposed to their FBS schedule.

YSU isn’t very good. But then neither is WIU. Both look to have losing seasons. In a sign of desperation, it’s WIUs Homecoming.

Bisonator
September 24th, 2018, 11:16 AM
A must win for both teams, I'll take WIU at home. McGuire appeared to extract his head from his arse against Montana.

ysubigred
September 24th, 2018, 11:43 AM
.....AH GOT....OWN-LAH ONE WORD...........BUTLER..........xviolinx........... .BRAWK!

...DUH....UNS GOT....ASS-HANDED TOOS UNS.........NDSU....KODA..PUDA..HUNDRED ON UNS...ASSES ALOHA!

MR. CHICKEN
September 24th, 2018, 01:46 PM
UH.....ER....UMMM....NORFF DAKOTA ST/BUTLER.......NORFF DAKOTA ST/BUTLER......UH....NEVERAH MIND.....xsighx...AWK!

.....WHAA LANGUAGE IS DAT YOUSE SPEAK.........xdontknowx.....................BRAWK !

ysubigred
September 24th, 2018, 01:49 PM
UH.....ER....UMMM....NORFF DAKOTA ST/BUTLER.......NORFF DAKOTA ST/BUTLER......UH....NEVERAH MIND.....xsighx...AWK!

I'm glad you see it my way xthumbsupx

Yes YSU laid an egg losing to Butler AWK!

ST_Lawson
September 24th, 2018, 02:06 PM
From what I've seen out of YSU's offense so far, I trust that our defense should be able to do a pretty good job of slowing them down. Offensively, I'm still hoping to see a step up in our run game, which has lagged this year. I think Homecoming gives our guys a bit of a boost and WIU wins by a TD.

wapiti
September 24th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Home field advantage wins this game. 23 - 27

Paladin1aa
September 24th, 2018, 06:54 PM
McGuire vs VanGorder. The QB who has the best day wins this game. I like YSU, 24-21.

VanGorder gets turned loose to run it and YSU will throw a lot to their tall WRs. McCaster gets to carry the rock 20+ times.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 24th, 2018, 07:00 PM
I'm taking WIU, when they pull away late. Bozo melts down and gets an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty which seals the deal.

Paladin1aa
September 24th, 2018, 07:18 PM
LOL ! I never predict what Bozo will do. He is volatile and a loose cannon. Can erupt at any time. They should be prepared for McGuire. YSU will show a new attack. I’m expecting a very interesting game.

Penguin Nation
September 24th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Scum U's only win is against a team that lost to a mediocre D2 school, and even then Scum was losing in Q1 and tied in Q2.

I have Scum figured to win 3 conference games (WIU, SIU, and ISUb), so I'll say Scum by 10. If they lose this game, I'd say you're prolly looking at a 2-9 season.

leatherneck177
September 24th, 2018, 11:04 PM
I’m biased, but where do you get the idea that western is this bad?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 25th, 2018, 06:32 AM
I'll take the home team in this one.

Paladin1aa
September 25th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Quick facts - YSU was picked to finish 4th in the Preseason MVFC poll. WIU was picked to finish 7th. My view is YSU is over rated while Western was picked about right. Should be a close game. But I tend to agree with PN — if YSU loses this game, a really bad losing season is ahead. YSU winning doesn’t change the fact that they are still going to struggle to win in the MVFC.

So far, the best teams appear to be NDSU, SDSU and ISUr. UNI might be , maybe, while USD, WIU, SIU and YSU are all close in athletic abilities. MSU and ISUb bring up the rear.

Penguin Nation
September 25th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I’m biased, but where do you get the idea that western is this bad?

Scum U tends to get the bounces in these close games. Look at the ‘16 playoffs. They’re like the drunk who falls down the steps and lands standing with not a drop spilled.

Paladin1aa
September 26th, 2018, 10:20 AM
YSU has been shifting players around these last 2 weeks to get a better secondary. I’d look for more play time at S for Jackson, a Central Mich. transfer. That could free up Larkin to go back to NB. Lee appears to stay at the other S with Gibson at one CB. Losing both starting Ss has slowed the D down. Western averages 278 yds passing/game.

Looking for a more ball control game from YSU on O. Lots of runs, both RB and QB and selective passing. New plays coming from YSU. Can anyone update the injuries ?

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I’ll take WIU. YSU looks like a dumpster fire IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
September 26th, 2018, 10:47 AM
That’s fine , Thumper. I don’t think YSU is very good this year but believe they have a shot with WIU. They aren’t very good either. But, that’s why you play the games.

Redbird 4th & short
September 26th, 2018, 05:39 PM
YSU has been shifting players around these last 2 weeks to get a better secondary. I’d look for more play time at S for Jackson, a Central Mich. transfer. That could free up Larkin to go back to NB. Lee appears to stay at the other S with Gibson at one CB. Losing both starting Ss has slowed the D down. Western averages 278 yds passing/game.

Looking for a more ball control game from YSU on O. Lots of runs, both RB and QB and selective passing. New plays coming from YSU. Can anyone update the injuries ?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQP-YI_Vthe0dbDjDtkgX6nhHAuSBbYz8-1HaW1FrMgo3ubnN6 (https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fc1961792.cdn.cloudfiles .rackspacecloud.com%2F21833507644a5e18b7066745280b 294c.gif&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.mandatory.com%2Ft hreads%2Fthe-sabres-season-in-memes.2438851%2F&docid=R2YvvKdwSyCFiM&tbnid=zYklb_QAaEt1rM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwi424rQ3dndAhXn64MKHUBBBlgQMwg8KAswCw.. i&w=580&h=399&bih=488&biw=1080&q=rearranging%20deck%20chairs%20on%20the%20titanic %20meme&ved=0ahUKEwi424rQ3dndAhXn64MKHUBBBlgQMwg8KAswCw&iact=mrc&uact=8)

sorry, couldn't resist xdrunkyx

JayJ79
September 26th, 2018, 07:12 PM
In a sign of desperation, it’s WIUs Homecoming.
Why is that a sign of desperation?

Paladin1aa
September 26th, 2018, 08:57 PM
It’s only their 2nd home game. Very early. Still Sept. Must be worried about the other home games not being winnable ?

Thats is fine with YSU. Just more incentive,lol.

Paladin1aa
September 26th, 2018, 09:15 PM
BTW, this is the 32nd game in the series with WIU. YSU leads 19-12. YSU has won 10 of the last 12 games and 5 of the last 6 at Macomb. Overall, YSU. Owns a 9 game win streak in MVFC openers and is 18-3 in all MVFC openers.

Ill stick with my pick, YSU, 24-21.

JayJ79
September 26th, 2018, 10:04 PM
It’s only their 2nd home game. Very early. Still Sept. Must be worried about the other home games not being winnable ?

Youngstown has their homecoming just a week after this game, so you much consider that very early too.
Western's next home game is against NDSU. Probably not an opponent you want to be playing for homecoming.
the Necks host UNI on 10/27, which could work as a homecoming opponent, but I guess they wanted to go with the earlier date. *shrug*

Speaking of YSU and homecoming games, it looks like YSU is SDSU's opponent for their Hobo Day game (their name for their homecoming festivities). Word of warning, though, I hear that part of the tradition is for SDSU women to not shave their legs for the month prior to Hobo Day.

POD Knows
September 26th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Youngstown has their homecoming just a week after this game, so you much consider that very early too.
Western's next home game is against NDSU. Probably not an opponent you want to be playing for homecoming.
the Necks host UNI on 10/27, which could work as a homecoming opponent, but I guess they wanted to go with the earlier date. *shrug*

Speaking of YSU and homecoming games, it looks like YSU is SDSU's opponent for their Hobo Day game (their name for their homecoming festivities). Word of warning, though, I hear that part of the tradition is for SDSU women to not shave their legs for the month prior to Hobo Day.Well, that would be an improvement from the normal two to three months of growth they usually sport.

dustinthorn93
September 26th, 2018, 11:14 PM
WIU usually has homecoming the second home game of the season. It doesn't usually matter the opponent. Last season was odd since they only had 4 home games. They had MVFC opener, home opener and homecoming all on the same day.

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Maybe all these hairy women in the Dakotas are being confused with Bigfoot ? Nasty. lol

Any projections on score ?

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2018, 08:41 AM

We normally only have one OOC home game. Like Dustin says below, last season was weird because all 3 of our OOC games were away, but in '15 and '16 we had one home OOC game. '14 we had 2, but that was a 12-game season, so our OOC schedule was 2 away games against Big 10 teams and 2 home games against Pioneer League teams.

WIU usually has homecoming the second home game of the season. It doesn't usually matter the opponent. Last season was odd since they only had 4 home games. They had MVFC opener, home opener and homecoming all on the same day.

Right, it's almost always the last weekend in September or the first weekend in October here. The game against UNI on 10/27 would be exceptionally late in terms of how we usually do Homecoming, and really...who wants to play NDSU for Homecoming?

dustinthorn93
September 27th, 2018, 08:43 AM
We normally only have one OOC home game. Like Dustin says below, last season was weird because all 3 of our OOC games were away, but in '15 and '16 we had one home OOC game. '14 we had 2, but that was a 12-game season, so our OOC schedule was 2 away games against Big 10 teams and 2 home games against Pioneer League teams.

Right, it's almost always the last weekend in September or the first weekend in October here. The game against UNI on 10/27 would be exceptionally late in terms of how we usually do Homecoming, and really...who wants to play NDSU for Homecoming?

Wasn't 2014 the year WIU scheduled NDSU for homecoming and it was a 17-10 Bison win but it took a King Frazier to Wentz throwback pass to tired the game at 10 late? That was a fun game to be at!

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Wasn't 2014 the year WIU scheduled NDSU for homecoming and it was a 17-10 Bison win but it took a King Frazier to Wentz throwback pass to tired the game at 10 late? That was a fun game to be at!

That was pretty much the year of allowing teams back in the game late.
Homecoming against NDSU we were up until NDSU tied it up early in the 4th when John Crockett threw a TD pass to Carson Wentz. Crockett later ran for the game winning TD with a few minutes left in the game.
Then the next home game, we were up on Illinois State 27-6 with about 5 1/2 left in the 3rd quarter. ILSU had 3 TDs over the course of ~7 minutes of game time to tie it up. We took the lead on a TD pass on the first play from scrimmage, but then ILSU tied it up again and kicked 34-yard FG as time expired to complete the record-setting comeback.

A couple of pretty heartbreaking games for WIU fans.

dustinthorn93
September 27th, 2018, 01:05 PM
That's right it was Crockett not Frazier. That was a good game. I was sitting with some NDSU fans by me that said they were a little nervous on WIUs last drive.

RabidRabbit
September 27th, 2018, 03:04 PM

Speaking of YSU and homecoming games, it looks like YSU is SDSU's opponent for their Hobo Day game (their name for their homecoming festivities). Word of warning, though, I hear that part of the tradition is for SDSU women to not shave their legs for the month prior to Hobo Day.Used to be number of braids in hair, until guys started competing. Amazing how many braids can be made on chest/back/ legs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk