PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Week 5 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 22nd, 2018, 11:32 PM
I was 2-2 this past week. Everybody showed me something this week. At least I did not fall off a 200-foot cliff like I did earlier this season. This is where I have it after this week.

1) Wofford - Fiddled while the rest of the conference burns
2) Chattanooga - Looks like a legitimate contender
3) East Tennessee State - Sanders apologizes to Herink for doubting him
4) Western Carolina - Should be thanking God they beat VMI
5) The Citadel - Pulled off a shocker in Macon
6) Samford - Showed some grit in defeat
7) Mercer - Givlings gave the game away
8) Furman - Almost got one, almost...
9) VMI - Quite possibly the most dangerous winless team in the FCS

This week's games
Mercer @ VMI (Upset Special of the Week) - Keydets will be singing cause their streak's over
Western Carolina @ Furman - Catamounts continue their winning ways
The Citadel @ Towson - Tigers uppercut Bulldogs
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb (Beatdown of the Week) - Terriers run roughshod over Bulldogs
Samford @ Kennesaw State - Owls defend their house
Chattanooga @ ETSU (Game of the Week) - Bucs prove they're no joke anymore

tenNesseeCat
September 23rd, 2018, 01:38 AM
This crazy day of SoCon football won't let me sleep.

Picks: I think all these games could go either way, except for Wofford vs GW and MAYBE Mercer vs VMI.

Mercer @ VMI - It's a long ride from Macon to Lexington. Has VMI found life on Offense? Maybe, but not enough to get past the MU D.
WCU @ Furman - Is the WCU pass D really that bad? Is Furman in a tail spin? Tough one to pick. The WCU Offense seems legit.
The Citadel @ Towson - The Citadel has played tough and finally won one, but Towson is fresh off a big W and a bye, at home.
Wofford @ Gardner Webb - Not even close, or will it be? GW had done it before when they shouldn't have.
Samford @ Kennesaw St. - Samford has the talent to do it, but they probably won't on the road vs a top 10 team.
Chattanooga @ ETSU - Herink makes the bucs look a lot tougher, but the UTC train is a rolling.

Power: Wofford and UTC are the only two I feel sure about. Everything else is a mess.

Wofford
UTC
ETSU
WCU
The Citadel
Mercer
Samford
Furman
VMI

Playoffs: This week I'll add a color coded list. (playoff mathamtical possibility of 7 D1 wins) Good Bubble Out

Wofford
UTC
ETSU
WCU
Mercer
The Citadel
Samford
Furman
VMI - With 1 of their final 7 vs a D2, it's safe to call them out.

bonarae
September 23rd, 2018, 03:29 AM
Mercer
WCU
Towson
Wofford
Kennesaw State
Chattanooga

ElCid
September 23rd, 2018, 07:08 AM
Lots of weirdness this week. Ratings are a crap shoot still.

1- Chattanooga – Chatty takes over top spot with impressive win, can’t sneeze at 4-0, 2-0
2- Wofford – Hate changing them from #1 but Chatty just looks better. Only a hair difference.
3- The Citadel – Got the much needed road win and they looked pretty good again, they are not quitting
4- Western Carolina – Got the W, …… again…..?
5- Mercer – Got burnt, but still a pretty good team…..QB???
6- East Tennessee State – Nice effort, they just plugged away, but not sure Furman didn’t hand it to them; next week will tell all
7- Samford – Double bang SOCON Ls has got to be disheartening, oh yeah I know what that feels like
8- VMI – Their loss looked better than Furman’s loss; maybe something is happening, in any case it warranted leaving the cellar, if only for a week
9- Furman – Furman has issues, they are in a downward spiral; have they forgot how to win again?

1,2,..3-7,..8,9

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Furman – Furman has got to win one, will they pull it off? At least their offense will look better against WCU – 48-37
The Citadel @ Towson – Hard to say; Towson does not see the Bulldog type grind; I think on the road against Towson’s awesome QB, it will be hard – 34-28
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb – G-W always plays them tough…but not this time – 41-7
Chattanooga @ ETSU – Bucs get burned by hot Mocs – 31-17
Mercer @ VMI – Bears mad, will maul the Keydets…but Bear’s QB situation may dictate spread, I assume he is out for week – 27-10
Samford @ Kennesaw State – Egads, Samford is slipping, can they recover, this is must win for Bama dogs – 38-31

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2018, 08:07 AM
Wild year in the SoCon. I’m going to have to research a little bit before I do my rankings or picks.

I think Wofford has to be #1 at this point as long as they keep winning. The Mocs will have an opportunity to take the top spot from them in two weeks of the beat a rejuvenated ETSU team this week.

The Mocs need to get healthy on D. We played Samford with 1 DLine starter out, two linebacker starters, and one DB starter out. Hopefully we get some of those guys back this week.

We we need to get better on special teams too. Our punt and kickoff coverage wasn’t great and Brewer did not have a good day punting the ball at all. Samford had good field position all night.

On a side note: I really expected Furman to be a top 3 team in the conference this year. I still think they can be a good team, but wonder if they are mentally defeated after such a tough start to the season.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 23rd, 2018, 08:52 AM
Wild year in the SoCon. I’m going to have to research a little bit before I do my rankings or picks.

I think Wofford has to be #1 at this point as long as they keep winning. The Mocs will have an opportunity to take the top spot from them in two weeks of the beat a rejuvenated ETSU team this week.

The Mocs need to get healthy on D. We played Samford with 1 DLine starter out, two linebacker starters, and one DB starter out. Hopefully we get some of those guys back this week.

We we need to get better on special teams too. Our punt and kickoff coverage wasn’t great and Brewer did not have a good day punting the ball at all. Samford had good field position all night.

On a side note: I really expected Furman to be a top 3 team in the conference this year. I still think they can be a good team, but wonder if they are mentally defeated after such a tough start to the season.

Last year's ETSU vs. UTC matchup was epic for all the wrong reasons. I was with you when I thought Furman would finish in the top 3. I have been calling it for the past several months that ETSU was going to give Furman a better matchup last night than the previous two matchups (they did). I did not think ETSU was going to beat Furman until last week.

wcugrad95
September 23rd, 2018, 09:08 AM
No idea on power rankings other than Wofford and Chattanooga are the only teams who have looked good. For some perspective (think of the guy in The Princess Bride talking to Westley about where the poison is in the cups), I will do mostly groupings of teams that I still don't really know where to rank:

VMI has been on everybody's list at #9 for 2 years. The last 2 weeks they led ETSU late only to see that slip away, then against WCU they should have at least been able to go to OT missing a wide-open guy on the 2-point conversion. But in the end, they are still 0-4 (21 game losing streak) and will probably not be favored in any SoCon games they have left. So they probably have to stay at #9 - just a closer ranking than in the past.

Then the first interesting grouping of Furman and Samford - 2 teams that were expected to be competing for the crown find themselves with only 1 win (against a D2) between them in 7 games. Furman has a glimmer of hope as they have only lost (played) 1 SoCon game and finally get a home game this coming week. Samford with a D2 win probably needs to win out - and they face a top-10 KSU team this coming weekend and are legitimately staring 1-4 in the face. Both teams are capable of beating any league team left on their schedule, but with another loss both could find themselves in full meltdown mode.

ETSU and WCU - both have more wins than many of the others (3-1 and 3-0 respectively), but both barely beat the team that the consensus said was the worst team, and both have a D2 win. ETSU really looked like they were well on their way to a 3 TD loss, but putting in the QB who should have been starting anyway and an implosion by Furman let them grab victory from the jaws of defeat. WCU I have already covered - very good offense/very bad defense. We find out about ETSU next week at Chattanooga. And we find out about multiple teams the next two weeks with WCU at Furman and then at Samford. If WCU is 5-0 does that mean they are good? Probably, or at least they are good enough on O to overcome their D. If WCU splits and are 4-1? Probably still don't know because I'd have to evaluate the other 2. If WCU loses both and are 3-2? WCU is probably not good with Woffy, Chatty, Mercer, and ETSU still on the schedule. Before the season, with our schedule, I would have said 4-1 would have found the Cats ranked. Not now.

Mercer and Citadel - The Bears looked like world-beaters last week (but maybe the Samford win is not as good as we thought???), and still is a very talented team even if the QB is out with last year's Freshman of the Year available as the backup. Citadel quickly becomes everybody's darling pick since they beat the Bears and played their other 2 conference games really close. But in reality, those 2 games still counted and Citadel is 1-2 in conference and it took a dramatic kickoff return to beat Mercer (who if their QB wouldn't have gotten hurt may have scored and stole another one out from under the Bellhops). Mercer probably wins their next 2 games and get to 4-2. Citadel very well might lose their next one to find themselves at 1-3.

And then Wofford and Chattanooga - seem to be the clear front-runners after the first 4 weeks.

So power rankings - still no clue. I have a hard time putting 3-win teams who I am not sold on towards the top when I don't trust how good they are. I have a hard time putting 1 and no-win teams towards the top (or even middle) and ahead of 3-win teams when wins should still count (we do keep score for a reason, right?).

I guess I am back to where I started - Wofford and Chattanooga at 1 and 1A, everybody else in any order you like, and I still keep VMI at #9 until they win.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2018, 10:07 AM
Chattanooga has a very talented team. 3 legitimate All-American candidates in Isaiah Mack, Kareem Orr, and Bryce Nunnelly.

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2018, 10:08 AM
1. Wofford: Right now, our performances against the Citadel and VMI are much better than the other teams they've faced. We beat VMI by halftime and neither ETSU or WCU can say that. We also handled the Citadel pretty well, but being -3 in turnover margin made the game close. That's still better than either Mercer or Chattanooga can say in that regard. Right now, there's good indication that Wofford is as good as they were last year, if not better.

2.Chattanooga: They are a playoff team. Book it. They have a pass game that scares me, but they don't quite have the run game they used to. They may not need it because they have a great wide out, a great defense, and a great QB. They're probably the most athletic team in the Socon.

3. The Citadel: I put them here because they were 5 yards and a stopped 2 point conversion away from having a commanding lead in the Socon. The hurricane may have the last laugh on their season, but if they go on a 7 game win streak, I could see them canceling the rescheduled game with Charleston Southern and instead going to the playoffs at 7-3. They have a tough defense as always and a veteran offense. They just fight.

4. Mercer: tough loss to the Citadel this week and they may have also lost their QB. Luckily, they have last year's socon freshman of the year to take the reigns. I am going to need more information on them, if I'm honest.

5. Samford: Chris Hatcher is in full Chris Hatcher mode. I'm at the point where I don't know why he is even their coach or continues to be a coach at this level. Has he ever won a conference title any D1 team he's gone? There's really no excuse for what we have seen thus far this season. Hodges has thrown way too many interceptions, and I bet if you take away that garbage D2 game, he's thrown more ints than TDs. Samford has a tough defense but an offense that, for some reason, tries to run the ball, and is bad at it. They only score about 1/3 of the time and that's terrible. They are literally better off just running tempo all game long. Had Samford not had Wofford's number in the last few years, there's no way Hatcher still has a job. Unfortunately, I think they'll have it together when we play later this year.

6. ETSU: Herink should start. It's that simple. You want your offense to stop sucking? Start Herink, Stop sucking. I don't know how good ETSU's defense is. It could be average and average would be an improvement on previous seasons. If it is average and they keep Herink on the field, this team wins at least 6 games this year (sitting at 3-1 right now).

7. Furman: The 'Dins are an anamoly wrapped in a quagmire. I can sympathize with struggling on the road at ETSU as I'm pretty sure every team in the Socon has done it now. Their defense seems to be about the same, but their offense is clearly a shell of its former self. Some attribute it to having a new OC and losing their QB, and I think that's accurate. Though Furman's offense was balanced against ETSU and played well, they didn't run the ball as well as they normally do.

8. Western Carolina: Top 20 offense, bottom 10 defense. It's pretty much that simple. VMI scored 88 points last year (not all of them on offense) and scored 50 yesterday. Technically, VMI's offense outscored Western Carolina because one of Western's touchdowns was on a pick 6. On one hand, VMI is fighting really hard this year. There's more fight in them this year. BUT, there's a huge athleticism gap between the two and there's no excuse letting any team score 50 on you, let alone one that has struggled offensively.

9. VMI: They fight hard. They are on the bottom. But they will win a game this year, maybe even in conference play. They have good receivers and spunk. Their QB is not great, but he's not terrible either.

This week's games:
Mercer@ VMI: Mercer defense is a bit much for VMI. Whatever the spread is on this one, I think the Keydets cover, but Mercer still wins a by 3 scores.

Western Carolina @ Furman: Western has a bad defense, Furman is going to be pissed about last week. It's at home. Both teams have a lot to play for, but Furman has a little bit more.

Citadel @ Towson: I'm calling the upset. The Citadel fights like hell, and unlike many in the CAA, they actually have a defense. Towson may have had a week to prepare for the triple option, but it's nothing on the real thing. The only teams I trust to slow down the option who don't play it in conference are the MVFC.

Wofford @ Gardner Webb: Did you know that Gardner Webb is closer to Wofford than Wofford is to Furman? I hate playing Gardner Webb and it will likely rain. I haven't looked at the forecast, that's just the reality of these two playing. I hope Wofford can win this one by 3 scores, but for some reason we have trouble doing that. Gardner Webb is a better team than their record of the last ~2 years show because they have played a brutal OOC. Still, I'm inclined to think Wofford is still improved and there's evidence to suggest that Gardner Webb is struggling on offense, failing to score more than 10 points in their last 3 D1 games, including against a very bad Western Carolina defense. I think Wofford wins this game on the road, but how close it is will say a lot about where Wofford is as a program.

Samford @ Kennesaw: Samford is fighting for their lives right now. Hodges is playing bad. The defense is banged up. Chris Hatcher is their coach. Granted, Hatcher does really well against option offenses, but Kennesaw is a team that's really grown as a program. Samford needs to win the turnover battle to win and I just don't see that as happening.

Chattanooga @ ETSU: This game is huge and could be the game of the week. I have the Mocs winning, but I think ETSU will turn some heads. It's hard to say how good either team is right now, but they are clearly better than last year.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2018, 10:33 AM
I love how Tom Arth has managed these last 2 games. It looks like Chattanooga is a first half team, which they may be, but Tom Arth has just literally pounded the ball and Bled the clock, conservative defense and the win probability increases even as your opponent closes the gap.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2018, 10:53 AM
These are purely power rankings.

1. Wofford- 2 points better than chattanooga, but the home field advantage could hurt them.

Likely scenario: Co-champions with Chattanooga at 7-1.

2. Chattanooga: Pretty complete team. Offense and defensive probably among top 3 in SOCON.

Likely scenario: could beat Wofford at home but drop a narrow won later on the road. Co-champs 7-1

3. Mercer: I believe they will go 5-2. Is Yale good? Naw. ...Mercer is playoff bound.

4. Furman

5. Samford

6. the Citadel

7. ETSU

8. Western Carolina

9. VMI

Dream scenario for league: Chattanooga, Wofford, and Mercer share title at 6-2. Somebody else make a huge run to get to 5-3. Dont believe the Citadel, ETSU, or Western Carolina can do it even though they in better position. Furman is either going to make a run or fold. Samford is going to make some kind of run but I say they have less of a chance of running the table or only losing 1 more in conference than Furman.

chattownmocs
September 23rd, 2018, 10:58 AM
I guess a 4-way tie is possible if say, Mercer and Furman can finish a game better than Wofford and Chatt the rest of the way. Would love to see the committee leave out 4 way co-champs. Wait, well, I think they've done it with 3, gulp.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2018, 12:19 PM
Samfords OL was big but they couldn’t run the ball on us, but they haven’t run the ball great on anyone. We couldn’t run the ball either though, but I think Price is a good back.

Hodges through a few picks but was just trying to make a play happen for his team. They have amazing wideouts (as usual) - those guys made some fantastic catches.

They are probably a playoff worthy worthy team but won’t get in unless they beat Kennesaw and Wofford (and win out to be honest). I’m pulling for them to win one for the SoCon this week. A top 10 win would help the entire conference.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2018, 03:11 PM
I watched bits and pieces of the WCU/VMI game, but watching full replay now. Fast paced first quarter. Both Defenses were fairly porous. WCU got a gift on first score. It was a forward lateral to wide receiver.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2018, 03:23 PM
1. Wofford – Tops in the conference until someone knocks them off
2. Chattanooga - Will know if we are for real in the next two weeks
3. East Tennessee State – Not sure how good ETSU is yet, but 2-0 in the conference puts them here.
4. Western Carolina – Offense is great, Defense is not so great, but they are 3-0 so it’s hard to put them any lower.
5. Samford – A good team, but 0 D1 wins makes it impossible to put them any higher
6. Mercer – A win vs. a good Samford Team and non scholly Jacksonville
7. The Citadel – Certainly could be higher – 2 close losses and one SoCon win. I wish they had gotten to play Chuck South.
8. Furman - A pre-season favorite, but 0 D1 wins puts them near the bottom.
9. VMI – Improving team?

Mercer vs. VMI – Mercer rallies and gets back on track against the Keydets
Western Carolina vs. Furman – upset of the week. Furman’s run D is pretty good which matches up pretty good against FU and Western’s D is a mess, so I think Furman pulls the upset at home.
The Citadel at Townson – I’m being a bit of a SoCon homer here, but hoping that the Bulldogs can corral the Tigers
Wofford @ Gardner Web – GW usually plays Wofford tough, but I think the Terriers take care of business on the road.
Samford @ Kennesaw State – Again, being a bit of a homer here, but I am pulling for Samford to pull off the big upset on the road against a top 10 team.
Chattanooga @ ETSU – The Mocs continue to win

kdinva
September 23rd, 2018, 03:47 PM
..... WCU got a gift on first score. It was a forward lateral to wide receiver.

a couple of VMI folks who attended said the same thing.....

ElCid
September 23rd, 2018, 04:16 PM
1. Wofford – Tops in the conference until someone knocks them off
2. Chattanooga - Will know if we are for real in the next two weeks
3. East Tennessee State – Not sure how good ETSU is yet, but 2-0 in the conference puts them here.
4. Western Carolina – Offense is great, Defense is not so great, but they are 3-0 so it’s hard to put them any lower.
5. Samford – A good team, but 0 D1 wins makes it impossible to put them any higher
6. Mercer – A win vs. a good Samford Team and non scholly Jacksonville
7. The Citadel – Certainly could be higher – 2 close losses and one SoCon win. I wish they had gotten to play Chuck South.
8. Furman - A pre-season favorite, but 0 D1 wins puts them near the bottom.
9. VMI – Improving team?

.....and a home loss to the team behind them. I am always stupefied on how people rate current power. If you are ranking them just on record okay, I get it. But a current power rating??? That's okay, we are used to no love.

And yet ETSU who has wins against hapless VMI and Furman, and a Div II is at #3.......okay. Or are you looking to puff up your opponent next week???:D They didn't look that good last night. Furman just looked bad.

And I am not as confident about Towson. Have you seen their QB in action? Sure hope you are right. Maybe we can get some respect then. Our defense certainly stepped up big time this week against a good QB, but I think we will have our hands full.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2018, 04:22 PM
These are purely power rankings.

1. Wofford- 2 points better than chattanooga, but the home field advantage could hurt them.

Likely scenario: Co-champions with Chattanooga at 7-1.

2. Chattanooga: Pretty complete team. Offense and defensive probably among top 3 in SOCON.

Likely scenario: could beat Wofford at home but drop a narrow won later on the road. Co-champs 7-1

3. Mercer: I believe they will go 5-2. Is Yale good? Naw. ...Mercer is playoff bound.

4. Furman

5. Samford

6. the Citadel

7. ETSU

8. Western Carolina

9. VMI

Dream scenario for league: Chattanooga, Wofford, and Mercer share title at 6-2. Somebody else make a huge run to get to 5-3. Dont believe the Citadel, ETSU, or Western Carolina can do it even though they in better position. Furman is either going to make a run or fold. Samford is going to make some kind of run but I say they have less of a chance of running the table or only losing 1 more in conference than Furman.

I think it depends on the status of their QB. He went down on his hand/arm/shoulder?? on a sack yesterday (the last of 4 sacks on him, we got another on the backup, he went down a few more times earlier as well as he released passes). Not sure how bad it is yet. He is good. Not sure they will make it with the back up QB even though he started last year. He looked really rusty at a critical time yesterday after he came in. Understandable, but he has a comfort curve to overcome.

Mocs123
September 23rd, 2018, 04:29 PM
I certainly could have put The Citadel higher - they honestly could be anywhere from 4-7 this week. The SoCon is crazy this year. Samford was picked #1 and they are are 0-2 against FCS competition. Furman was expected to do well too, and they are 0-2 vs. FCS competition and winless overall.

You could certainly make the arguement that ETSU doesn't deserve to be #3, but they are 2-0 in the SoCon and just beat at least what I think is a decent team in Furman.

And yes, if The Citadel goes on the road and beats Townson (and I am pulling for you), they will get some love in the power rankings.

walliver
September 23rd, 2018, 04:30 PM
Power Rankings:
1) Wofford - no problems with BYE
2) Chattanooga - nothing fancy but they keep winning
3) WCU - they haven't impressed me at all, but they're winning, and that counts for something
4) Samford - I am used to one Sammy WTF loss each year, but 2 in a row. They will be dangerous to everyone they play down the stretch, but it seems like something isn't clicking in Alabama.
5) The Citadel - they're here for beating #6
6) Mercer - from ecstacy to agony - If their QB is out for a while they may be trapped in 6th
7) ETSU - good win for the Bucs and they could move up the next few weeks.
8) VMI - scored lots of points, but still no wins
9) Furman - Hendrix will probably right the ship before the season ends, but right now there are no guaranteed wins

This week:
Mercer at VMI - The Kangas won't put up 50 on Mercer. Cubbies win this, even without starting QB, but it will be closer without him - Bears 28-17 (42-17 if starter back)
WCU at FU - Horsies embarassed the Can'ts last year. This year will be closer, but, if VMI can put up 50, FU can put up a lot, and play a little defense. Pukes win 35-24
The Citadel at Townsend - Chucktown pups keep it close and have a chance at the end, but fall short 31-28
Samford at Kennesaw State - both games last year were close. Despite the precedent of the Elon-FU game this year, I think this one stays close. Hodges is too good for Sammy to fall apart. The Bama pups rebound and surprise with a 35-31 win.
Chattanooga at ETSU - The Mountain pirates play hard at home, but the Train Birds are too strong and leave with a 28-20 win.
Wofford at Gardner-Webb - This game is often closer than it should be, but coming off a BYE week the Terriers don't overlook the Tarheel Pups and win 35-10.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2018, 04:35 PM
I certainly could have put The Citadel higher - they honestly could be anywhere from 4-7 this week. The SoCon is crazy this year. Samford was picked #1 and they are are 0-2 against FCS competition. Furman was expected to do well too, and they are 0-2 vs. FCS competition and winless overall.

You could certainly make the arguement that ETSU doesn't deserve to be #3, but they are 2-0 in the SoCon and just beat at least what I think is a decent team in Furman.

And yes, if The Citadel goes on the road and beats Townson (and I am pulling for you), they will get some love in the power rankings.

We were three points from having every underdog win in SOCON games yesterday. At least every computer rated underdog. Crazy? Batshytcrazy.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2018, 06:00 PM
I think it depends on the status of their QB. He went down on his hand/arm/shoulder?? on a sack yesterday (the last of 4 sacks on him, we got another on the backup, he went down a few more times earlier as well as he released passes). Not sure how bad it is yet. He is good. Not sure they will make it with the back up QB even though he started last year. He looked really rusty at a critical time yesterday after he came in. Understandable, but he has a comfort curve to overcome.

Actually I just looked at some of our game again and he wasn't sacked went he went down, he got rid of it as he was going down. My memory failed me. But it would have been better had he held on to it. Riddle tried to throw it and his arm was out when he went down. Had he simply tucked it in, he probably would not have been hurt. I like players who play hard, but sometimes that results in sacrifice.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2018, 06:47 AM
My Monday thoughts.

I really didn't dislike Furman's effort's Saturday. They were in control much of the game, and for whatever reason the wheels came off in the third quarter. We got pinned deep, couldn't get anything going offensively and just left our defense out to try.

ETSU had a nice run, but I didn't hate what we were doing defensively. Run defense still looked good, coverage was there, tackling was there. Herink was just on fire. Even his incompletions were really well thrown balls. If he can play like that, ETSU just got a lot more serious.

Furman is just in a tough spot offensively. We don't have a QB we can trust right now. We started four sophomores on the OL, and that inexperience has showed time and again. The optimist in me looks at 2019 and 2020 with an OL that has started three years together, but in the moment, things look bleak.

I think we have some good looking receivers. I think we have some good looking running backs. We are featuring a heavy dose of "old school" I-pro and three back looks. I like all of that, but we just aren't getting a push up front and defenders are playing in our backfield.

I still have hope for this season. I feel bad for the team, who is still yet to play a home game (are we the only D1 school without a home game?). You know they are tired of being on the road and know that Saturday's contest was a brutal one to lose.

Mocs123
September 24th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Furman is the best winless team in FCS. I’m not looking forward to playing them. You completely out physical-ed us last year.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Furman is the best winless team in FCS. I’m not looking forward to playing them. You completely out physical-ed us last year.

I know a lot is made of Blazejowski's absence, but the bigger losses are probably Matthew Schmidt and Terrell Bush at C and OG. Those guys probably had a combined 60 starts during their Furman careers, and added a much needed veteran presence on a young offensive line.

When you have an all-american center, it can mask other issues on the offensive line. We just aren't moving guys around like we were last season.

Smitty
September 24th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Makes for an interesting weekend ahead. Furman the best 0-3 team in the FCS vs WCU the worst 3-0 team in the FCS.

Catamount87
September 24th, 2018, 08:43 AM
The WCU/VMI game was one of the most bizarre games I have ever witnessed. From an official who lined up on the wrong side of the field, to flags flying only to be picked up and no penalty assessed, penalties walked off then reversed, craziness in play calling and execution. VMI could have kicked two short field goals on 4th down but decided to go for it only to be denied. Yes, they went for it on 4th down 10 times.

I know it sounds like excuses but the officiating was questionable all around. They couldn't seem to get their act together for the longest time. Then they got flag happy. What was strange about some of the flags was the time delay between the play and when they threw the flag. Geez, there were several times when 3-5 seconds would pass after the play was blown dead with players starting to walk back to their huddles then a flag would come flying in, pass interference and holding were the usual calls. But the worst was the number of flags thrown for big penalties like targeting and PI only to get picked up and waved off. That to me said worlds about the officiating execution. It happened 4-6 times in the game, just crazy.

gofurman
September 24th, 2018, 09:07 AM
1. Wofford: Right now, our performances against the Citadel and VMI are much better than the other teams they've faced. We beat VMI by halftime and neither ETSU or WCU can say that. We also handled the Citadel pretty well, but being -3 in turnover margin made the game close. That's still better than either Mercer or Chattanooga can say in that regard. Right now, there's good indication that Wofford is as good as they were last year, if not better.

2.Chattanooga: They are a playoff team. Book it. They have a pass game that scares me, but they don't quite have the run game they used to. They may not need it because they have a great wide out, a great defense, and a great QB. They're probably the most athletic team in the Socon.

3. The Citadel: I put them here because they were 5 yards and a stopped 2 point conversion away from having a commanding lead in the Socon. The hurricane may have the last laugh on their season, but if they go on a 7 game win streak, I could see them canceling the rescheduled game with Charleston Southern and instead going to the playoffs at 7-3. They have a tough defense as always and a veteran offense. They just fight.

4. Mercer: tough loss to the Citadel this week and they may have also lost their QB. Luckily, they have last year's socon freshman of the year to take the reigns. I am going to need more information on them, if I'm honest.

5. Samford: Chris Hatcher is in full Chris Hatcher mode. I'm at the point where I don't know why he is even their coach or continues to be a coach at this level. Has he ever won a conference title any D1 team he's gone? There's really no excuse for what we have seen thus far this season. Hodges has thrown way too many interceptions, and I bet if you take away that garbage D2 game, he's thrown more ints than TDs. Samford has a tough defense but an offense that, for some reason, tries to run the ball, and is bad at it. They only score about 1/3 of the time and that's terrible. They are literally better off just running tempo all game long. Had Samford not had Wofford's number in the last few years, there's no way Hatcher still has a job. Unfortunately, I think they'll have it together when we play later this year.

6. ETSU: Herink should start. It's that simple. You want your offense to stop sucking? Start Herink, Stop sucking. I don't know how good ETSU's defense is. It could be average and average would be an improvement on previous seasons. If it is average and they keep Herink on the field, this team wins at least 6 games this year (sitting at 3-1 right now).

7. Furman: The 'Dins are an anamoly wrapped in a quagmire. I can sympathize with struggling on the road at ETSU as I'm pretty sure every team in the Socon has done it now. Their defense seems to be about the same, but their offense is clearly a shell of its former self. Some attribute it to having a new OC and losing their QB, and I think that's accurate. Though Furman's offense was balanced against ETSU and played well, they didn't run the ball as well as they normally do.

8. Western Carolina: Top 20 offense, bottom 10 defense. It's pretty much that simple. VMI scored 88 points last year (not all of them on offense) and scored 50 yesterday. Technically, VMI's offense outscored Western Carolina because one of Western's touchdowns was on a pick 6. On one hand, VMI is fighting really hard this year. There's more fight in them this year. BUT, there's a huge athleticism gap between the two and there's no excuse letting any team score 50 on you, let alone one that has struggled offensively.

9. VMI: They fight hard. They are on the bottom. But they will win a game this year, maybe even in conference play. They have good receivers and spunk. Their QB is not great, but he's not terrible either.

This week's games:
Mercer@ VMI: Mercer defense is a bit much for VMI. Whatever the spread is on this one, I think the Keydets cover, but Mercer still wins a by 3 scores.

Western Carolina @ Furman: Western has a bad defense, Furman is going to be pissed about last week. It's at home. Both teams have a lot to play for, but Furman has a little bit more.

Citadel @ Towson: I'm calling the upset. The Citadel fights like hell, and unlike many in the CAA, they actually have a defense. Towson may have had a week to prepare for the triple option, but it's nothing on the real thing. The only teams I trust to slow down the option who don't play it in conference are the MVFC.

Wofford @ Gardner Webb: Did you know that Gardner Webb is closer to Wofford than Wofford is to Furman? I hate playing Gardner Webb and it will likely rain. I haven't looked at the forecast, that's just the reality of these two playing. I hope Wofford can win this one by 3 scores, but for some reason we have trouble doing that. Gardner Webb is a better team than their record of the last ~2 years show because they have played a brutal OOC. Still, I'm inclined to think Wofford is still improved and there's evidence to suggest that Gardner Webb is struggling on offense, failing to score more than 10 points in their last 3 D1 games, including against a very bad Western Carolina defense. I think Wofford wins this game on the road, but how close it is will say a lot about where Wofford is as a program.

Samford @ Kennesaw: Samford is fighting for their lives right now. Hodges is playing bad. The defense is banged up. Chris Hatcher is their coach. Granted, Hatcher does really well against option offenses, but Kennesaw is a team that's really grown as a program. Samford needs to win the turnover battle to win and I just don't see that as happening.

Chattanooga @ ETSU: This game is huge and could be the game of the week. I have the Mocs winning, but I think ETSU will turn some heads. It's hard to say how good either team is right now, but they are clearly better than last year.

QBs come and go. players come and go. We are also missing our All-America Center (Matt Schmidt) and Bush. When your entire starting OL is sophomores (it is now) that's a recipe for disaster. Kinda surprising (and scary for next year and the next) that we are even competitive with anyone.

My point is forget Blaze or Schmidt or ... the worrisome thing for me is the loss of OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR CRONIC. All of sudden his D2 team (he left to be a head coach at D2 ) is scoring way more than last year... and we are scoring way less. Coincidence? I HOPE THAT IS DUE TO THE YOUTH ON THE OL - which we definitely have. ( We are probably the youngest OL in the SoCon and most of the FCS nation... ) I HOPE THAT IS NOT due to the loss of Cronic. If it is due to the loss of Cronic we better get some ***** together and Quarles and company figure something out !!! Hard to know at this point.

If we stink on O next year we will know it is the loss of the OC Cronic. If we are back to good next year then it was the youth on OL.

Much of it is honestly some recruiting misses by Fowler that have left us young on OL and QB - witness we have Roberts (Senior) at QB who is 'serviceable'... and then a true freshman in Grainger. We should have one or two more QBs in there to choose from

That said, despite our horrid offense at ETSU - 288 yards.. last year we had 600+ !!! Our D held ETSU to less offense than they had last year:

in 2017 ETSU gained 456 yards vs our defense. (We had 600+ on offense) Despite us having less offense this year, our D held them to 377 yards this year in Johnson City. - we have a good to great D, I just fear they may give up if the O doesn't start helping them more

gofurman
September 24th, 2018, 09:12 AM
My Monday thoughts.

I really didn't dislike Furman's effort's Saturday. They were in control much of the game, and for whatever reason the wheels came off in the third quarter. We got pinned deep, couldn't get anything going offensively and just left our defense out to try.

ETSU had a nice run, but I didn't hate what we were doing defensively. Run defense still looked good, coverage was there, tackling was there. Herink was just on fire. Even his incompletions were really well thrown balls. If he can play like that, ETSU just got a lot more serious.

Furman is just in a tough spot offensively. We don't have a QB we can trust right now. We started four sophomores on the OL, and that inexperience has showed time and again. The optimist in me looks at 2019 and 2020 with an OL that has started three years together, but in the moment, things look bleak.

I think we have some good looking receivers. I think we have some good looking running backs. We are featuring a heavy dose of "old school" I-pro and three back looks. I like all of that, but we just aren't getting a push up front and defenders are playing in our backfield.

I still have hope for this season. I feel bad for the team, who is still yet to play a home game (are we the only D1 school without a home game?). You know they are tired of being on the road and know that Saturday's contest was a brutal one to lose.

Yep - Furman has now played SIX CONSECUTIVE ROAD GAMES going back to last year. That's crazy.

AWAY Samford reg season on road to finish season.
AWAY Elon on road in playoffs
AWAY Woff on road in playoffs

AWAY Clemson on road at FBS
AWAY Elon FCS game
Home CANCELLED Due to storm vs Colgate
AWAY vs ETSU

Finally we will be home this week? Or will it come up a storm? 6 consecutive away games is brutal

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Makes for an interesting weekend ahead. Furman the best 0-3 team in the FCS vs WCU the worst 3-0 team in the FCS.

I think Furman will get it together. Defense played really well against ETSU, and was just left out to dry by the offense late in the game. Hard to defend a short field over and over with multiple 3 and outs.

WCU's defense, as noted, isn't particularly good. I think the Paladins will finally be able to get something going offensively and the defense will limit WCU's scoring opportunities.

The ETSU was a far cleaner game than we've seen from the Paladins. Few penalties, no turnovers (I think), and finally started to force a few mistakes by the other team. If we keep improving, I like our chances.

wcugrad95
September 24th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Just posturing, but if Herink plays the whole game against Furman who knows how many yards ETSU gets (or points they score). In the first 28 offensive plays (4 series) after he came into the game, the Bucs had 258 yards and 3 TDs. So I would say FU looked good against the starter, but not so good against the tougher/better QB. WCU may give up 400 yards rushing and a bunch of points to Furman, but I am hopeful our dynamic QB and offense will stay healthy and can speed things up to wear FU's D down and at least keep us in the game this Saturday.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Just posturing, but if Herink plays the whole game against Furman who knows how many yards ETSU gets (or points they score). In the first 28 offensive plays (4 series) after he came into the game, the Bucs had 258 yards and 3 TDs. So I would say FU looked good against the starter, but not so good against the tougher/better QB. WCU may give up 400 yards rushing and a bunch of points to Furman, but I am hopeful our dynamic QB and offense will stay healthy and can speed things up to wear FU's D down and at least keep us in the game this Saturday.

Herink threw all over Furman last year too. Of course, the Bucs trailed by 30 most of the game, so it really didn't matter.

tenNesseeCat
September 24th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I think Furman will get it together. Defense played really well against ETSU, and was just left out to dry by the offense late in the game. Hard to defend a short field over and over with multiple 3 and outs.

WCU's defense, as noted, isn't particularly good. I think the Paladins will finally be able to get something going offensively and the defense will limit WCU's scoring opportunities.

The ETSU was a far cleaner game than we've seen from the Paladins. Few penalties, no turnovers (I think), and finally started to force a few mistakes by the other team. If we keep improving, I like our chances.

I see it pretty even.

Furman D = pretty good vs WCU O = pretty good
Furman O = not very good vs WCU D = not very good

The Furman D has played fairly consistent. I think they were hung out to dry a bit vs elon given the 3 TO's.
The WCU O has played fairly consistent, just not as efficient in the first two as vs vmi.

The flags could play significant part in the game this weekend. we had 12 for 119 vs vmi. If we give you 100+ free yards, that could be the difference.

I'll also add that Adams threw an untimely int 1 play into a series, when we were up 8 late, and on the vmi 49. Shoulda been looking to do nothing but run. I guess he thought he saw something. His other int was off the hands of a wr and floated right to a vmi defender who returned it 17 yards. Then tac on penalty yards and they got it at our 33. Our pass D isn't very good, but our run D has been pretty good. they have been hung out a few times themselves, and newberry had a QB with a 4.46 40. He made a lot happen on broken plays, just from his speed.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I see it pretty even.

Furman D = pretty good vs WCU O = pretty good
Furman O = not very good vs WCU D = not very good

The Furman D has played fairly consistent. I think they were hung out to dry a bit vs elon given the 3 TO's.
The WCU O has played fairly consistent, just not as efficient in the first two as vs vmi.

The flags could play significant part in the game this weekend. we had 12 for 119 vs vmi. If we give you 100+ free yards, that could be the difference.

I'll also add that Adams threw an untimely int 1 play into a series, when we were up 8 late, and on the vmi 49. Shoulda been looking to do nothing but run. I guess he thought he saw something. His other int was off the hands of a wr and floated right to a vmi defender who returned it 17 yards. Then tac on penalty yards and they got it at our 33. Our pass D isn't very good, but our run D has been pretty good. they have been hung out a few times themselves, and newberry had a QB with a 4.46 40. He made a lot happen on broken plays, just from his speed.

All true. Furman does not commit many penalties, and that may be a difference.

This matchup comes down to WCU's defense to Furman's offense. While neither unit has been particularly impressive, I think Furman's offense is better comparative to their defense than WCU's defense is to their offense.

Furman's offense isn't predictable. You see a lot of good things, it just hasn't come together yet this year. I expect it will at some point, and I pity the team that is on the other side when it does. There's too much talent on this offense to stink.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Herink is a great QB for socon defenses like Furman, Wofford, and (maybe?) the Citadel that run zone and let you dink and dunk down the field. Watching what he did to Furman terrified me for Homecoming this year.

Mocs123
September 24th, 2018, 01:23 PM
We played a very soft man against Samford allowing Hodges to get his short throws in but keeping everything in front of us. Hopefully we tighten up a bit this weekend.

tenNesseeCat
September 24th, 2018, 01:25 PM
You see a lot of good things, it just hasn't come together yet this year. I expect it will at some point, and I pity the team that is on the other side when it does. There's too much talent on this offense to stink.

crap! I hope it doesn't this weekend.

our D had a pretty good game against GW. They looked like they played a fair amount of zone vs vmi. We got to their QB pretty well, but when we didn't, he just found someone in a seam. Coach noted that we should have substituted more. I think that would have helped for sure. They got multiple first downs on 3rd and long. Looked like our line shot their wad on the first two downs, and got busted on 3rd.

wcugrad95
September 24th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Furman's D has also given up 48, 45, and 29 points (122 points for an average of 40.67/game). While I know the first 2 games were against top-notch competition, they got exposed by Herink in the 2nd half on Saturday and WCU has a much better offense than what the Paladins saw last season with the bad weather and the Adams' injury in Cullowhee. I will give you that your D should be better than what the stats look like so far. But you say you see a lot of good things from the FU offense, and I will avoid looking too much at the first 2 games where they didn't score until garbage time. But against ETSU the Dins only had 3 series where they gained more than 35 yards - one FG came after they moved the ball 29 yards in 10 plays, another TD came after an INT where they got the ball at the 21 yard line.

In crunch time, the Paladins went like this on their last 5 possessions:
3-and-out for 3 yards
3-and-out for 5 yards
6 plays for 9 yards
3-and-out for -10 yards
2 plays for -2 yards and a safety
That is a total of 5 net yards on 5 possessions
For the entire game, you only had 288 yards

All that being said, we know WCU is struggling on D. But I can't see how Furman is doing a lot of good things on O, either. I feel like if WCU can get anywhere close to our average points over the past 15 games (last season and first 3 this year), we have a good chance at winning. If your D contains our offense (doesn't necessarily have to shut us down - just contain) and we score less than 24, it is probably a Furman win. The Paladins are still a team I just can't figure out yet - so however this game goes is not going to shock me either way.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Furman's offense last year was among the top 5 in the Socon in the last 15 years or so, definitely in the same sentence as the Georgia southern teams under Monken and the Armanti Edwards Offenses or the 2008 Wofford offense.

But this year they are not that and that may be the difference.

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Furman's offense last year was among the top 5 in the Socon in the last 15 years or so, definitely in the same sentence as the Georgia southern teams under Monken and the Armanti Edwards Offenses or the 2008 Wofford offense.

But this year they are not that and that may be the difference.
YT slyly dropping a little Coach Bob Frost (no relation to Scott) homage into his post.

+1 for Liberal Arts Schools

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Herink is a great QB for socon defenses like Furman, Wofford, and (maybe?) the Citadel that run zone and let you dink and dunk down the field. Watching what he did to Furman terrified me for Homecoming this year.

Furman runs a lot less zone this year than they have in years past. For really the first time, I've seen Furman line up and telegraph man coverage often.

Herink didn't dink and dunk Furman. A number of his completions were well contested against what is arguably the SoCon's best pass rush. He had one long bomb down the middle of the field to Spagnoletti who had Amir Trapp draped all over him in coverage. That ball has to be perfectly thrown or no completion.

Personally, I think the only other QB in the league that can make the throws Herink was making Saturday is Hodges. I really didn't have many gripes about Furman's pass coverage. They were pretty strong in coverage all night. Herink just made perfect throws.

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Mercer just announced that QB Robert Riddle is out indefinitely with a broken collar bone.

I feel terrible for this young man, who appeared to be beginning to piece together a SoCon FR of the year type of Season...and maybe even a Jerry Rice Award one. But, I spoke with him yesterday at the Waffle House in Maconga and he seemed in reasonably good spirits despite the heartbreaking loss & injury. Today is his birthday. Not the best B’Day gift one could receive for sure.

This is NOT good news for Mercer’s chances this season, but they do have a talented, experienced backup. Perhaps, he can come in & play at the same level (or above) that Riddle showed in the past 2 weeks.

If Mercer can’t run the ball any better than they did on Saturday, he will have to for them to win another game this year. Well, that’s assuming th Bears O-Line can pick up blitzes and execute PassPro about 10x better than they did on Sat. I was actually surprised that Riddle made it until the last :20 of the game. He was running for his life & getting HAMMERED all day by ‘Free Runners’ that were either untouched or ‘released’ due to miscommunication/mis-execution in the O-Line.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Mercer just announced that QB Robert Riddle is out indefinitely with a broken collar bone.

I feel terrible for this young man, who appeared to be beginning to piece together a SoCon FR of the year Season. But, I spoke with him yesterday at the Waffle House in Maconga and he seemed in reasonably good spirits despite the heartbreaking loss & injury. Today is his birthday. Not the best B’Day gift one could receive for sure.

This is NOT good news for Mercer’s chances this season, but they do have a talented, experienced backup. Perhaps, he can come in & play at the same level (or above) that Riddle showed in the past 2 weeks.

If Mercer can’t run the ball any better than they did on Saturday, he will have to for them to win another game this year. Well, that’s assuming th Bears O-Line can pick up blitzes and execute PassPro about 10x better than they did on Sat. I was actually surprised that Riddle made it until the last :20 of the game. He was running for his life & getting HAMMERED all day by ‘Free Runners’ that were either untouched or ‘released’ due to miscommunication/mis-execution in the O-Line.

Too bad to hear. Hope he gets well. Doesn't sound like we will see him again this season.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2018, 03:41 PM
The good news is that he could still redshirt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2018, 03:54 PM

That would be good for him, and MErcy doesn't fall off too much....remember his back up was the Freshman of the year last season!!!!

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkHe Redshirted last year. Would need to apply & receive a Medical Waiver for the 2022 Season in order to get a 6th year. There have been some tweaks in the eligibility requirements for a medical waiver since I last looked into it ‘seriously’ in 2015, but I doubt, having played in 4 games (over 36% of the scheduled regular season contests) he would even be eligible to apply for such a waiver.

ElCid
September 24th, 2018, 04:01 PM

I feel terrible for this young man, who appeared to be beginning to piece together a SoCon FR of the year type of Season...and maybe even a Jerry Rice Award one. But, I spoke with him yesterday at the Waffle House in Maconga and he seemed in reasonably good spirits despite the heartbreaking loss & injury. Today is his birthday. Not the best B’Day gift one could receive for sure.

Dude that sucks. But like someone said, he might get another year out of it. I don't look forward to seeing him again...he is pretty good.

wcugrad95
September 24th, 2018, 04:07 PM
He is very good - last two games 316 and 347 yards passing. And Mercer has traditionally been more of a balanced if not run-leaning team. Very tough break (no pun intended).

ElCid
September 24th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Dude that sucks. But like someone said, he might get another year out of it. I don't look forward to seeing him again...he is pretty good.

Should be read with a hint of sarcasm. He is one of the best QBs in the conf. Probably the best passer easily. I said it in another thread, he has a real nice touch. More finesse than Hodges. And you can tell he has a head on his shoulder. Smart player. Except as I said earlier, he should have tucked the ball and just went down. Sacrificed himself so he has heart as well.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Dang I thought Riddle was a true freshman. That makes this situation 10x worse

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Is it his throwing or non throwing arm? I've seen guy break the CB and be throwing completely normally in a few weeks, and I've seen guys never get back the zip with the same break...I guess it really depends on what else gets injured when it happens....

Sandlapper Spike
September 24th, 2018, 06:15 PM
It is his throwing shoulder.

ETSUfan1
September 24th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Sanders won't commit to starting Herink vs UTC. Says it depends on how they are in practice. I hope this is just coach speak, because if he starts Marchi, he loses the team.

wcugrad95
September 24th, 2018, 10:44 PM
FWIW (and it is only Monday), here are the current lines/projections I could find for SoCon-related games this week

Lines per VegasInsider (usually the same as 5Dimes):

Favorite
Over/Under
Rough Estimated Score

Furman -5 over WCU
Furman 35 WCU 30

Wofford -26 over GWU
Wofford 38 GWU 12

Towson -6.5 over Citadel
Towson 32 Citadel 25

KSU -5.5 over Samford
KSU 32 Samford 27

VMI -7.5 over Mercer
VMI 37 Samford 29

UTC no line ETSU
No line
No line

The wise-guys think it will be a big deal that Mercer lost their starting QB.

Here are Massey's predictions:

Favorite
Favorite's Win Probability
Most Likely Score

Furman over WCU
64%
35-30 Furman

Wofford over GWU
96%
36-10 Wofford

Towson over Citadel
67%
31-24 Towson

KSU over Samford
57%
30-27 KSU

Mercer over VMI
98%
38-17 Mercer

UTC over ETSU
80%
27-14 UTC

And here are Sagarin's predictions (spread only):

Favorite
Spread

Furman over WCU

Wofford over GWU

Towson over Citadel

KSU over Samford

Mercer over VMI

UTC over ETSU

Will be interesting to see if Massey or Sagarin update based on Riddle's injury.

rtzlunar
September 24th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Sanders won't commit to starting Herink vs UTC. Says it depends on how they are in practice. I hope this is just coach speak, because if he starts Marchi, he loses the team.

If he doesn’t start Herink you guys should paint Sanders’ a$$ orange and ship him back to Knoxville.

gofurman
September 24th, 2018, 11:45 PM

And I would venture that - very objectively - Furmans defensive backfield is one of the, if not the, most talented in the SoCon. Trapp - Clemson transfer - gave up one big play but otherwise shut his man down. Anoor is all-Conference. Weems, Okeh, etc. Even the ETSU announcers were impressed with the athletes we had at DB. Then Herink just went OFF

If he plays like that ETSU just got dangerous. Thing is he always goes off on us. We just out score them - last year we won 56-35. We cab never contain them. We just out score them. Couldn't this time.

That said, we lost because we couldn't get a few more first downs and score maybe once more. Wofford should beat ETSU bc I think our D and your D are similar... But your O will be able to get a few more first downs than we did and wear down the ETSU D. I see Wofford beating ETSU like 34-24

ElCid
September 25th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Will be interesting to see if Massey or Sagarin update based on Riddle's injury.

Ummm. No. They don't care. It's all based on pure score results for them. Also, Massey has a really nice section on his site outlining his methodology.

Smitty
September 25th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Western Carolina vs. Furman – upset of the week. Furman’s run D is pretty good which matches up pretty good against FU and Western’s D is a mess, so I think Furman pulls the upset at home.

Wait why would this be considered an upset? I'm pretty sure Western has permanent status as an underdog to anybody who isn't VMI or a DII team

Mocs123
September 25th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Wait why would this be considered an upset? I'm pretty sure Western has permanent status as an underdog to anybody who isn't VMI or a DII team

Well “Team A” is 3-0, 1-0 in the conference; and team “B” is 0-3, 0-1 in the conference, so I would say of the winless team beats the undefeated team it’s usually an upset.

Smitty
September 25th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Well “Team A” is 3-0, 1-0 in the conference; and team “B” is 0-3, 0-1 in the conference, so I would say of the winless team beats the undefeated team it’s usually an upset.

When talking about normal teams I could see that. But this is Western, one of the few teams that will be considered an underdog for the rest of the season no matter what the record is.

ElCid
September 25th, 2018, 09:42 AM

I am going to go with they are both underdogs.

wcugrad95
September 25th, 2018, 09:42 AM
And per the 3 outlets I pointed to, Furman is the favorite at home over the Cats. I get the "why" based on records, but until WCU gets another win they currently show up on Massey as underdogs to ironically everybody left on the schedule except ETSU (who many now think are the team to watch from the middle of the pack logjam in most of our power rankings).

gofurman
September 25th, 2018, 08:14 PM
I am going to go with they are both underdogs.

I hate to agree w a Citadel guy but here I might. Lol.

I guess the the winner can claim some status after Saturday since if Furman wins they beat Western who beat VMI etc. and if Western wins they are 2-0 in SoCon

FUBeAR
September 25th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Since we are past halftime in the OOC Schedule (14 games played of 25 OOC games scheduled/not cancelled/played before at-large berths detemined), thought it might be a good time to take a macro look at the SoCon OOC results so far...

vs. FCS = 4-1
.....vs. OVC = 2-0
.....vs. Big South = 1-0
.....vs. PFL = 1-0
.....vs. CAA = 0-1

vs. FBS = 0-6
.....vs. P5 = 0-3
..........vs. ACC = 0-2
..........vs. SEC = 0-1
.....vs. G5 = 0-3
..........vs. MAC = 0-1
..........vs. MWC = 0-1
..........vs. AAFC = 0-1

vs Non D1 = 3-0

vs. Overall = 7-7

VERY BIG OOC Games for Samford @ Kennesaw (FCS Big South - STATS #4) AND The Citadel @ Towson (FCS CAA - STATS #25). Playoff implications for those 2 Teams, of course...and probably for almost any other SoCon Team. Let's go Bulldogs x 2!!!!

Expecting Wofford @ Gardner Webb (Big South) to be a Terrier rout.

Barring major upsets (either way) down the road, the only game after this week which could have potential Playoff 'positioning' impact for SoCon Teams is Mercer @ Yale on 10/13. So, SoCon needs STATEMENTs from our Bulldogs this week!

Mocs123
September 26th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Since we are past halftime in the OOC Schedule (14 games played of 25 OOC games scheduled/not cancelled/played before at-large berths detemined), thought it might be a good time to take a macro look at the SoCon OOC results so far...

vs. FCS = 4-1
.....vs. OVC = 2-0
.....vs. Big South = 1-0
.....vs. PFL = 1-0
.....vs. CAA = 0-1

vs. FBS = 0-6
.....vs. P5 = 0-3
..........vs. ACC = 0-2
..........vs. SEC = 0-1
.....vs. G5 = 0-3
..........vs. MAC = 0-1
..........vs. MWC = 0-1
..........vs. AAFC = 0-1

vs Non D1 = 3-0

vs. Overall = 7-7

VERY BIG OOC Games for Samford @ Kennesaw (FCS Big South - STATS #4) AND The Citadel @ Towson (FCS CAA - STATS #25). Playoff implications for those 2 Teams, of course...and probably for almost any other SoCon Team. Let's go Bulldogs x 2!!!!

Expecting Wofford @ Gardner Webb (Big South) to be a Terrier rout.

Barring major upsets (either way) down the road, the only game after this week which could have potential Playoff 'positioning' impact for SoCon Teams is Mercer @ Yale on 10/13. So, SoCon needs STATEMENTs from our Bulldogs this week!

Yes, this is a HUGE OOC week for the SoCon. Wins vs. KSU and Townson would go a long way toward increasing the conference standing enough to get 3-4 teams in the playoffs. Of course we assume Wofford beats GW and Mercer beats Yale.

Are they still trying to re-schedule the Charleston Southern - The Citadel game?

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Yes, this is a HUGE OOC week for the SoCon. Wins vs. KSU and Townson would go a long way toward increasing the conference standing enough to get 3-4 teams in the playoffs. Of course we assume Wofford beats GW and Mercer beats Yale.

Are they still trying to re-schedule the Charleston Southern - The Citadel game?

ASSUMING Mercer beats Yale @ Yale is quite a stretch, but I think you are right about the Terriers stomping G-W, as will ETSU the following week...hopefully. Wofford also should whip PC easily and I believe the suddenly ‘new & improved’ VMI can handle Tusculum. The rest of the OOC games scheduled are FBS opponents. CIT should be able to upset Alabama in that matchup though...I mean it’s not like they have to square off against Newberry ;-).

Speaking of CIT, their game with ChuckSouth is tentatively rescheduled, but will not be played until after Playoff selections, so its outcome will have no impact on that. Also, it will be cancelled if either Team makes the Playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcugrad95
September 26th, 2018, 10:19 AM
I was going to give FUBeAR some rep for his first post, but then he follows up with another jab at WCU. I will say his point is spot-on, though. This weekend is HUGE for the league with Samford and Citadel. Both are underdogs, and both could really change some opinions with wins.

kymoc91
September 26th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Wins for both The Citadel and Samford will definitely help legitimize the SoCon teams that have victories over those two teams. Otherwise, as we keep beating each other up, team rankings will drop, especially wwhen it comes time for playoffs.

Scrappy94
September 26th, 2018, 11:01 AM
1. Wofford – Holding on to #1 until they are beat.
2. Chattanooga – Impressive win over a ranked Samford team shows this team is for real. At 4-0, I’m tempted to put them at #1, or at least in a tie with the Terries for #1.
3. Western Carolina – Defense may look horrible, but it is hard to put them lower at 3-0.
4. Mercer – Let one slip away.
5. The Citadel – Played all their games close so far. They don’t quit.
6. Samford – Winless against D1. How is it possible to fall like this with that much talent?
7. ETSU – May be 3-1, but I’m not sold on them yet. Still struggled against a non-D1 and VMI. Would have been 2-2, but Furman handed them that game with a mistake. Should have lost.
8. Furman – Should have won, but mistakes were made.
9. VMI – Still winless, although the Catamounts defense let them stay in the game.

Mercer @ VMI – No explanation needed. Bears by 21.
Western Carolina @ Furman – Catamounts defense will give this one away. Paladins by 7.
The Citadel @ Towson – Bulldogs will keep it 1 score as usual. Tigers by 7.
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb – Runnin’ Bulldogs barely put up points against WCU’s bad defense. This won’t even be close. Terriers by 28.
Samford @ Kennesaw State – Bulldogs continue to lose despite talent, but keep it close. Owls are no joke. Owls by 3.
Chattanooga @ ETSU - Mocs are on a roll. Bucs defense let VMI hang with them, and their offense didn’t impressive over a non-D1. Outside of the Vols, this will be the toughest defense ETSU has faced yet. Might be a closer game if Henrick starts, but Mocs roll no matter who the QB is for ETSU this week. Mocs by 24.

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 11:25 AM
I was going to give FUBeAR some rep for his first post, but then he follows up with another jab at WCU.There is absolutely no mention of WCU in that post. Is it possible for the entire fan base of a Team to have some kind of narcissistic victim complex?

Maybe this will help: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/nc/cullowhee

...but I suppose winning a 1st ever SoCon Championship or making that 1st Playoff game in 35 years would be more helpful. Maybe this is THE year. 3-0 BABY!

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 11:31 AM
1. Wofford – Holding on to #1 until they are beat.
2. Chattanooga – Impressive win over a ranked Samford team shows this team is for real. At 4-0, I’m tempted to put them at #1, or at least in a tie with the Terries for #1.
3. Western Carolina – Defense may look horrible, but it is hard to put them lower at 3-0.
4. Mercer – Let one slip away.
5. The Citadel – Played all their games close so far. They don’t quit.
6. Samford – Winless against D1. How is it possible to fall like this with that much talent?
7. ETSU – May be 3-1, but I’m not sold on them yet. Still struggled against a non-D1 and VMI. Would have been 2-2, but Furman handed them that game with a mistake. Should have lost.
8. Furman – Should have won, but mistakes were made.
9. VMI – Still winless, although the Catamounts defense let them stay in the game.

Mercer @ VMI – No explanation needed. Bears by 21.
Western Carolina @ Furman – Catamounts defense will give this one away. Paladins by 7.
The Citadel @ Towson – Bulldogs will keep it 1 score as usual. Tigers by 7.
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb – Runnin’ Bulldogs barely put up points against WCU’s bad defense. This won’t even be close. Terriers by 28.
Samford @ Kennesaw State – Bulldogs continue to lose despite talent, but keep it close. Owls are no joke. Owls by 3.
Chattanooga @ ETSU - Mocs are on a roll. Bucs defense let VMI hang with them, and their offense didn’t impressive over a non-D1. Outside of the Vols, this will be the toughest defense ETSU has faced yet. Might be a closer game if Henrick starts, but Mocs roll no matter who the QB is for ETSU this week. Mocs by 24.

Wouldn’t your #8 beating your #3 be a MAJOR upset? Would think you would ‘call out’ that upset a bit ‘louder’ in your predictions.

If Furman beats WCU this week by 1 point in OT, do you think you would have FU ranked ahead of WCU next week or no? Just curious.

ElCid
September 26th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Wouldn’t your #8 beating your #3 be a MAJOR upset? Would think you would ‘call out’ that upset a bit ‘louder’ in your predictions.

If Furman beats WCU this week by 1 point in OT, do you think you would have FU ranked ahead of WCU next week or no? Just curious.

For myself, and I will be real honest, I still have no idea how good, or bad, Furman is. They could all of a sudden just come alive for all we know. Or sink further if that is possible. I think I will have a better feel after this week. I'm betting they will come alive finally, but they really did not look too good last Saturday. At least what I saw in the second half. I watched most of the second half, which went on way too late. I realize they did much better in the first half. Yeah, I think it will be an upset from the standpoint of to-date performance, but on potential, not as much.

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 02:37 PM
For myself, and I will be real honest, I still have no idea how good, or bad, Furman is. They could all of a sudden just come alive for all we know. Or sink further if that is possible. I think I will have a better feel after this week. I'm betting they will come alive finally, but they really did not look too good last Saturday. At least what I saw in the second half. I watched most of the second half, which went on way too late. I realize they did much better in the first half. Yeah, I think it will be an upset from the standpoint of to-date performance, but on potential, not as much.OK...so your current power ranking is...

9- Furman – Furman has issues, they are in a downward spiral; have they forgot how to win again?

Yet...you picked #9 Last Place Furman to beat #4 WCU by 2 scores and didn’t call it an upset at all...

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Furman – Furman has got to win one, will they pull it off? At least their offense will look better against WCU – 48-37

So, same question to you. If FU beats WCU by 1 point in OT this week, Furman will be 1-3/1-1 and WCU will be 3-1/1-1, do you think you would have Furman ranked ahead of WCU next week or would you just view it a fluky upset by an inferior Team at home over a superior Team on the road and leave WCU ranked above the Paladins?

The Cats
September 26th, 2018, 02:56 PM
FuBear, I'm beginning to believe you have an "anti-WCU derangement syndrome" complex.

It seems as if you can hardly make a post on any board that doesn't include WCU, and your attempt to cast a shadow or belittle the school or the football team. I think rather than worrying about the therapist in Cullowhee, you should seek help in Atlanta.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/ga/atlanta

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 03:35 PM
There is absolutely no mention of WCU in that post. Is it possible for the entire fan base of a Team to have some kind of narcissistic victim complex?

"anti-WCU...to cast a shadow or belittle the school or the football team.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BrokenMemorableAkitainu-small.gif

The Cats
September 26th, 2018, 03:46 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BrokenMemorableAkitainu-small.gif

I knew better than going against my own policy of not feeding the trolls...... but I did it anyway.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29020&stc=1

Milktruck74
September 26th, 2018, 04:09 PM
For myself, and I will be real honest, I still have no idea how good, or bad, Furman is. They could all of a sudden just come alive for all we know. Or sink further if that is possible. I think I will have a better feel after this week. I'm betting they will come alive finally, but they really did not look too good last Saturday. At least what I saw in the second half. I watched most of the second half, which went on way too late. I realize they did much better in the first half. Yeah, I think it will be an upset from the standpoint of to-date performance, but on potential, not as much.

I think Ferman is the scariest team we have left on the schedule....that includes Wofford. Woffy is a known entity, they are good, but we know that. Ferman is like a wounded dog...they have teeth, but you never know when they are going to bite.

ElCid
September 26th, 2018, 04:36 PM
OK...so your current power ranking is...

Yet...you picked #9 Last Place Furman to beat #4 WCU by 2 scores and didn’t call it an upset at all...

Predictions

So, same question to you. If FU beats WCU by 1 point in OT this week, Furman will be 1-3/1-1 and WCU will be 3-1/1-1, do you think you would have Furman ranked ahead of WCU next week or would you just view it a fluky upset by an inferior Team at home over a superior Team on the road and leave WCU ranked above the Paladins?

Yes because I am not basing mine on what might happen in the future, but WHAT HAS HAPPENED. WHo teams played, how much they lost by, how much they have improved (or gotten worse), etc. Unless you want to come up with some formal rules everyone can agree upon on what a power rating should be....... And I don't normally spell out when a potential winner pulls an upset. To be honest, I don't think we have very many blatant upsets in the SOCON. We have some serious parity when you consider rivalries, etc. even when looking at bad teams. And not to pick on the Keydets, but if there are some upsets ,then VMI is usually the one involved.

If Furman waxes WCU then yes they will be ahead, if they squeak by, it depends. 3-8 are all pretty interchangeable still. When I say depends, I got to look at what each of their past opponents did, and how they did against them. But what do you think if VMI beats Mercer? What if Elon gets crushed by NH? Those data points will weigh in on my rankings when looking at these two teams after Saturday. But yeah, they will probably be ahead if they win. And if you couldn't tell, I was being a bit joking by putting them dead last. But to blow a lead like they had and self destruct emotionally,...they obviously have some kind of issues other than talent. Plus I wanted to get VMI out of the cellar for at least one week. I got a feeling they will be back there soon.

Sandlapper Spike
September 26th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Two games involving SoCon teams were selected for ESPN College Extra this week: Samford-Kennesaw State and Mercer-VMI. Channel assignments on the various cable/satellite systems have not been assigned yet, as far as I know.

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Yes because I am not basing mine on what might happen in the future, but WHAT HAS HAPPENED. WHo teams played, how much they lost by, how much they have improved (or gotten worse), etc. Unless you want to come up with some formal rules everyone can agree upon on what a power rating should be....... And I don't normally spell out when a potential winner pulls an upset. To be honest, I don't think we have very many blatant upsets in the SOCON. We have some serious parity when you consider rivalries, etc. even when looking at bad teams. And not to pick on the Keydets, but if there are some upsets ,then VMI is usually the one involved.

If Furman waxes WCU then yes they will be ahead, if they squeak by, it depends. 3-8 are all pretty interchangeable still. When I say depends, I got to look at what each of their past opponents did, and how they did against them. But what do you think if VMI beats Mercer? What if Elon gets crushed by NH? Those data points will weigh in on my rankings when looking at these two teams after Saturday. But yeah, they will probably be ahead if they win. And if you couldn't tell, I was being a bit joking by putting them dead last. But to blow a lead like they had and self destruct emotionally,...they obviously have some kind of issues other than talent. Plus I wanted to get VMI out of the cellar for at least one week. I got a feeling they will be back there soon.Fair enough. Yeah, based on your score prediction, I didn’t think you had a lot of ‘emotional investment’ in WCU @ #4 or FU @ #9. I’ve had the Paladins @ #7 & I don’t see them going up in the FUBeAR PowerPoll after last week. But, as seems to be #BigNews, I haven’t seen a lot to love about the Catamounts, other than their record, so far. I picked VMI to upset them in Cullowhee last week 49-45 (IF the Keydets scored 3 Offensive TD’s in the 1st half...which they did). So, I missed the pick, essentially, by 1 WCU TD or perhaps by an ‘almost complete’ 2 point conversion by the Keydets.

So, I guess my point is...I will probably have FU @ #8 & WCU @ #7 this week....so I won’t have the dilemma (if FU happens to win...which I’m sure I will predict that they will do) in swapping their PowerRankings that you #3/#8 & #4/#9 guys might have...or the perceived (by me, at least) incongruity of picking such a low ranked Team to beat such a high ranked Team by 2 scores & not thinking of it as an upset.

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 05:23 PM

If Furman waxes WCU then yes they will be ahead, if they squeak by, it depends. 3-8 are all pretty interchangeable still. When I say depends, I got to look at what each of their past opponents did, and how they did against them. But what do you think if VMI beats Mercer? What if Elon gets crushed by NH? Those data points will weigh in on my rankings when looking at these two teams after Saturday. But yeah, they will probably be ahead if they win. And if you couldn't tell, I was being a bit joking by putting them dead last. But to blow a lead like they had and self destruct emotionally,...they obviously have some kind of issues other than talent. Plus I wanted to get VMI out of the cellar for at least one week. I got a feeling they will be back there soon.sorry - I didn’t answer your questions. Elon/New Hampshire...no clue. I’ll worry about that game when I cast my AGS Ballot.

If VMI beats Mercer, I will have VMI ranked ahead of Mercer next week. No question about it. VMI will probably stay @ #9 this week, but it’s a much closer #9 than it was 2 weeks ago. Mercer will probably be #5 or #6 for me this week...so not that big of an upset or of a (potential) fall for the Bears.

If Mercer doesn’t figure out how to stop having “Free Runners” (completely unblocked Defensive Players) rumbling around in their Offensive backfield on almost every (running or passing) play, they may not win another game this season.

wcugrad95
September 26th, 2018, 05:51 PM
I have had WCU relatively low for a 3-0 team because I readily admit we have squeaked out 2 of our 3 wins, and all 3 have been against the easiest part of our schedule. I have kept Furman and Citadel relatively close to teams like WCU and ETSU because I think there is not a significant difference, and I said my ranking was based on it being hard to put a 3 win team behind a winless or 1-win team. But I think pretty much everybody has said multiple times there seems to be very little separation between all of the teams to date outside of what Wofford and Chattanooga have shown. So a "1-point win in OT" between any 2 teams in the SoCon right now doesn't feel like a huge shift in "power" or that it would be a huge upset.

If Herink lights it up, I could see almost every game this weekend other than Wofford being won by the perceived underdog. I could just as easily see every one of those games going the other way, too. It wouldn't make me turn my power ratings upside-down the following week. I wouldn't all of the sudden throw VMI to the top 3 or 4 because they beat Mercer who was in everybody's top 3 or 4 this past week - I would just move VMI and Mercer close to each other and would still need to see what VMI does going forward. We are all just now getting to the point where we find out about most of the teams.

ElCid
September 26th, 2018, 05:56 PM
Fair enough. Yeah, based on your score prediction, I didn’t think you had a lot of ‘emotional investment’ in WCU @ #4 or FU @ #9. I’ve had the Paladins @ #7 & I don’t see them going up in the FUBeAR PowerPoll after last week. But, as seems to be #BigNews, I haven’t seen a lot to love about the Catamounts, other than their record, so far. I picked VMI to upset them in Cullowhee last week 49-45 (IF the Keydets scored 3 Offensive TD’s in the 1st half...which they did). So, I missed the pick, essentially, by 1 WCU TD or perhaps by an ‘almost complete’ 2 point conversion by the Keydets.

So, I guess my point is...I will probably have FU @ #8 & WCU @ #7 this week....so I won’t have the dilemma (if FU happens to win...which I’m sure I will predict that they will do) in swapping their PowerRankings that you #3/#8 & #4/#9 guys might have...or the perceived (by me, at least) incongruity of picking such a low ranked Team to beat such a high ranked Team by 2 scores & not thinking of it as an upset.

I saw that. I wasn't sure if you were high or not at the time, but you called it...almost.

ElCid
September 26th, 2018, 06:03 PM
sorry - I didn’t answer your questions. Elon/New Hampshire...no clue. I’ll worry about that game when I cast my AGS Ballot.

If VMI beats Mercer, I will have VMI ranked ahead of Mercer next week. No question about it. VMI will probably stay @ #9 this week, but it’s a much closer #9 than it was 2 weeks ago. Mercer will probably be #5 or #6 for me this week...so not that big of an upset or of a (potential) fall for the Bears.

If Mercer doesn’t figure out how to stop having “Free Runners” (completely unblocked Defensive Players) rumbling around in their Offensive backfield on almost every (running or passing) play, they may not win another game this season.

Actually I did not make my point clear. How I rank WCU and Furman will, in part be determined on if VMI beats Mercer or if Elon gets blown out by NH...among the possible results of other WCU/Furman opponents. I don't expect either of those examples to happen, but my WCU and Furman ranking will definitely be based in part on the outcomes of those games. My point being that that if VMI wins, and Elon gets run over, that will prop WCU up a little and drag Furman down. Again, they are two of many data points I will look at.

wcugrad95
September 26th, 2018, 06:57 PM
I saw that. I wasn't sure if you were high or not at the time, but you called it...almost.

Which pick??? FUBeAR picked both teams in both the WCU/VMI and Furman/ETSU games. Always good to cover your bases, and then use the one that is closest as "your" pick ;-)

FUBeAR
September 26th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Which pick??? FUBeAR picked both teams in both the WCU/VMI and Furman/ETSU games. Always good to cover your bases, and then use the one that is closest as "your" pick ;-)
So unfair. You are persecutin’ little FUBeAR with your hate heart!

But seriously...very specific criteria to guide my 2 picks in the VMI @ WCU game. As soon as Quan Myers RAN in his 3rd TD of the day with 12:54 to play in the 2nd quarter putting VMI up 21-14, my pick became locked in as 49-45 Keydets. Yeah, a bit of hedging with that and I was the only one on the board to get the pick wrong...but my ‘vision’ of how that contest was going to play out was a whole lot closer than anyone else’s on here..including at least 1 VMI fan. I’ve watched all of WCU’s games and all of VMI’s. I wasn’t 100% sure if VMI had their poop together enough to hang, but I knew if they could taste just enough success early on Offense, then they were not going to go down easily, and they had a darn good shot to pull off the upset. I wasn’t wrong.

Not sure yet, but I may pick them again this week at home over Mercer.

My 2 picks in the Furman @ ETSU game were much more subjective and really just FUBeAR-BS. I don’t really take my FU & MU picks too seriously (and you shouldn’t either) because I know that I can’t fully overcome my bias to project those outcomes. Somewhat the same when I am watching ‘my Teams’’ games LIVE. I know that I’m biased while I’m watching the action. On the other hand, when I see post-game pics & videos of their games, I am INDISPUTABLY & CONVINCINGLY able to see those objectively & without bias...unlike some fans. I do also TRY (and think I succeed fairly well...unless I’m gooofin’....which I do...on rare occasions) to rank them as objectively as I do ALL of the other Teams in my PowerPoll & my AGS Poll (no goofin’ on this one though...I’m afraid of Ursus!)

kdinva
September 27th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Mercer 31 @ VMI 38
Western Carolina 34 @ Furman 31
The Citadel 27 @ Towson 24
Wofford 45 @ Gardner-Webb 14
Samford 24 @ Kennesaw State 35
UTC 27 @ ETSU 20

FUBeAR
September 27th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Mercer 31 @ VMI 38Something about this score has a familiar ring to it...

http://www.citadel.edu/root/images/parents/parents-weekend/front%20ring.jpg
https://www.the-jewelry.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/vmi-class-ring-vmi-class-ring-new-white-glove-wednesday-class-ring-marshall-museum.jpg

wcugrad95
September 27th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Just giving you a hard time @FUBeAR - your picks that avoid blatant homerism are generally pretty good (or at least thought out and presented with whatever those crazy thoughts are).

SCPALADIN
September 27th, 2018, 09:17 AM

Trust me...we have no idea either. We started out 0-3 last year and then went on a tear. That is about the only thing that is keeping us optimistic.

wcugrad95
September 27th, 2018, 09:46 AM
The difference is last year those were close early-season games and when Furman had no big expectations. The surprise is that with those expectations for 2018 the Paladins have not looked good. Furman still has all of those same players that made them a consensus early season top-3 SoCon pick, and had you guys played the Colgate game and gotten a home win the perception could be a lot different. I don't think anybody is taking the Paladins lightly - I sure hope WCU isn't this weekend given the game we played last year. It won't be a surprise if the 2018 FU squad starts looking a little more like the 2017 version, but the loss of the QB, a couple of really good O-lineman, and the OC has been a tall order to overcome so far.

wcugrad95
September 27th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Some shifts in the spreads from 5dimes (changes in bold letters):

Favorite
Over/Under
Rough Estimated Score

WCU -3 over Furman
WCU 34 Furman 31 (had been FU -5)

Wofford -26 over GWU
Wofford 38 GWU 12 (has not changed)

Towson -1 over Citadel
Towson 29 Citadel 28 (had been Towson -6.5)

KSU -9 over Samford
KSU 34 Samford 25 (had been KSU -5.5)

Mercer -7 over VMI
Mercer 32 VMI 25 (had been VMI -7.5 and 66 O/U)

UTC -14.5 over ETSU
UTC 30 ETSU 16 (had been no line when I checked earlier)

Looks like Vegas thinks it is a crapshoot between WCU/FU, and Citadel/Towson.

gofurman
September 27th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Trust me...we have no idea either. We started out 0-3 last year and then went on a tear. That is about the only thing that is keeping us optimistic.

Yep, no doubt we have a good coach in Hendrix who came in and shocked a lot of people last year taking us from 3 wins to 8 wins and the playoffs. But to lose your best OL at Center and another stud OL when your offense is predicated on the fullback dive (similar to Woffd) is just tough.. If just one of those two OL or Blaze at QB were back - any of the 3 we probably have a win over ETSU (almost for sure) and are moderate favorites to hit 2-0 in the SoCon this weekend. And to lose the OC who is killing it at his new gig.

We have 4 Soph and one Junior on the OL. Might just be a long rebuild yr for us. We could be like Chatt last yr in that we will return all 5 OL next year and 4 of those 5 OL the NEXT year - 2020 ! So if we are even competitive this year it is scary for the SoCon in a year or so... If we have a lot of ETSU like scores we will probably flip those to Ws next year. You almost never see a team return ALL 5 OL but we will next year - actually ALL TEN (two deep) OL return next year ! And something like 7/8 of the ten OL return for 2020. If we are competitive in several games this year we could be scary next year

Long-term we just need Hendrix to keep recruiting and we will be fine.. this year may be tough though

FUBeAR
September 27th, 2018, 09:03 PM
PowerPoll

1) Wofford - No reason to move them down as they enjoy another off-week with a quick, fun Team field trip to Boiling Springs, NC this week. We'll know a lot more about the PorchYappers on 10/6.

2) Chattanooga - Playing solid, if unspectacular, Football. "Trap game" potential this week in Johnson City. If Mercer had not beaten Samford, I would pick ETSU over Chatt this week as I would expect them to be all giddy about knocking off the projected champs and looking ahead to the SoCon Leader, but, as is, I think they'll keep their heads screwed on and set up a fun & important match-up at home against the AnkleBiters the following week.

3) The Citadel - Don't like putting them this high and not real sure they deserve it, but this is where they land for me this week. Since that 1st half at Wofford, they've been, to my surprise (and dismay), an improving Football Team. #BeatTowson #SoCon>CAA

4) Mercer - If QB Riddle had not been injured, I would place them solidly here and maybe even above the bellhops. Of course, I think if he had played that last :22 last week, the outcome last week might have been different. The Bears also lost a very good LB, who will be out "for a while," last week and they have a serious Scheme and/or Mental Error(s) issue on the O-Line that they MUST fix...so, the Bears are here for now...but it's a very tenuous perch. (Do Bears perch?)

5) Samford - Just too talented for me to drop them any lower than this right now. They opened with a 2A HS Team and then have faced a P5, a Mercer Team that could (have...maybe, can) compete for the SoCon title, and a Chatt Team that is definitely showing Championship and Playoff chops. I had a feeling they might be 1-3 heading into KSU. Win this week and they may not move up (cuz I'm not sold on KSU), but they won't move down either. #BeatKennesaw

6) ETSU - New Team with Herink back at the controls. If he doesn't start this week, the Bucs AD should be on the phone with a Search Firm looking for a new Head Football Coach. The JackSparrows have some BEEF on the OL, a good RB, some PLAYmakers on D...and if he lets them have the QB they need (and, OBVIOUSLY, LOVE), they will challenge everyone and beat several...or more.

7) WCU - You know what, Catamounts...that is 6 good Football Teams that FUBeAR has ranked ahead of y'all. AND, based on historical and 2018 performance, those 3 wins in your ledger might as well ALL be over Shorter...or Sylva-Webster Middle School. Win this week and we can think about a 'promotion.' Certainly not a guaranteed promotion as you're playing my #8 Team, but it will be considered IF you can win this one in GreenVegas. I'll be there watching and cheering for you not to though....maybe even on the sidelines...wearing Purple. Who knows, I may even jump in for a play or 2. Nah...I wouldn't survive for the 2nd play...even against WCU's Defense....hmmm....well...let me think about that for a minute...

8) Furman - you ignored me last week 'Dins. You did NOT show me that we're better than #7, so I had to move you down this week. Skin the Cats, though, and you can be right back up near the top...where you BELONG!

9) VMI - OK Keydets, you know I've been cheering for you...and I picked you to WIN...LAST WEEK. But, this week...I need a Catawba-game-like performance out of you. Just take that 22nd straight loss this week and then take a week off to rest up for that late season push. PLEASE!!!

PICKS

Mercer @ VMI - I'd like to do a "2 Picks" on this game with the determining criteria being something like VMI's "QB Hurries," but I won't. I'm going to ASSUME that Mercer fixes that OL issue I mentioned above and is able to control the clock with an effective Run game and some timely passes to their many ball-catching weapons. Bears are undefeated in LexVegas since they started back playing ball, so, trepidatiously, I'm gonna take the Bears to win this one 38-21

Western Carolina @ Furman - I just don't think the PussyCatsOfTheMountains have the Defense to stop the Paladins. I think, after last week, Furman knows who they are on Offense and, more importantly, knows who they can and want to be. So, I expect a gameplan and execution that will support that. As stated elsewhere, I also think Furman has the ATHLETES in the Secondary to blanket WCU's WR's. So, if they don't lose sight of the RB's and the TE's, I think the Kitties will find the passing game a little more challenging to execute this week. So, assuming that FUBeAR does not enter the contest, I'm going to go with the GoodPurplePaladins over the BadPurpleP....um...Felines 42-21.

The Citadel @ Towson - No info on Towson, but I bet they haven't seen much option recently. Bellhops are gaining MUCH-NEEDED experience on D and have played against 3 good Offenses so far...so I gotta go with the SamsoniteSlingers 28-24.

Wofford @ Gardner-Webb - Wofford snoozes out an easy one. MiniDogs win 63-3.

Samford @ Kennesaw State - Hodges to McKnight. Hodges to McKnight. Hodges to McKnight. Hodges to McKnight. #HeyBulldog wins 28-21.

Chattanooga @ ETSU - PiratesWithoutAnOcean are no joke, but Tiano, Price, and Nunnalley (sp?) ain't looking to laugh. BirdTrains go to JC and come home with a narrow 27-24 win and look forward to the following week...as do we SoCon FANS!

Reign of Terrier
September 27th, 2018, 09:27 PM
I looked at the one Gardner Webb board where like one fan posts (no joke) and apparently GWU can't stop the run this year. The one fan said (and YT is taking creative liberties here) is that the good side of this is that Wofford is a run first team so the sweet release will come quick.

Usually with #SouthernTeams, run defense is the strength and it's traditionally been the case with GWU. This insight makes me feel better.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2018, 08:18 AM
I looked at the one Gardner Webb board where like one fan posts (no joke) and apparently GWU can't stop the run this year. The one fan said (and YT is taking creative liberties here) is that the good side of this is that Wofford is a run first team so the sweet release will come quick.

Usually with #SouthernTeams, run defense is the strength and it's traditionally been the case with GWU. This insight makes me feel better.

GWU is not a good football team. This is not the plucky upstart Big South foe they used to be.

We aren't going to know much about Wofford until next week, when they start a much tougher stretch of games.

Milktruck74
September 28th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Insert Team Name is not a good football team. This is not the plucky upstart Insert Conference Here foe they used to be.

We aren't going to know much about Insert SoCon Team Here until next week, when they start a much tougher stretch of games.

Created a template.....This is pretty much every team in the SoCon at this point. If anybody says they have a handle how the SoCon will shake out this year, they are probably talking basketball.

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Just read that Gardner Webb is giving up almost 300 yards on the ground per game this year.

Last year, they let up an average of 170 per game, having played us, Western, Charleston Southern, A&T, Kennesaw State and Wyoming.

Offensively, their completion percentage is right at 50% but have thrown 6 picks and only 1 TD.

The two common games between this and last year (A&T, Western) show a worse performance in terms of run defense and rushing offense.

I am much less nervous about this game because it seems like a worse version of a bad team last year

tenNesseeCat
September 28th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Just read that Gardner Webb is giving up almost 300 yards on the ground per game this year.

Last year, they let up an average of 170 per game, having played us, Western, Charleston Southern, A&T, Kennesaw State and Wyoming.

Offensively, their completion percentage is right at 50% but have thrown 6 picks and only 1 TD.

The two common games between this and last year (A&T, Western) show a worse performance in terms of run defense and rushing offense.

I am much less nervous about this game because it seems like a worse version of a bad team last year

That's about right. They just don't have QB Maxwell (?) anymore. He was a pretty good athlete.

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Yeah Maxwell was a dual threat and led the team in rushing and threw most of their passes last year. He only completed 47% of them.

Gardner Webb looks bad nowadays and they need to fix it.

Wofford by 4 TDs

tenNesseeCat
September 28th, 2018, 01:49 PM
7) WCU - Win this week and we can think about a 'promotion.' Certainly not a guaranteed promotion as you're playing my #8 Team, but it will be considered IF you can win this one in GreenVegas.

8) Furman - You did NOT show me that we're better than #7, so I had to move you down this week. Skin the Cats, though, and you can be right back up near the top...where you BELONG!

So WCU could beat Furman, a team that you think should be at the top of the SoCon, and you would only consider a non guaranteed promotion at 4-0?

Furman could beat WCU, a team you consistently rank near the bottom, and shoot up near the top at 1-3?

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.DKCm-r7bEVZZq_6nv4RkGgAAAA&w=298&h=178&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

The Cats
September 28th, 2018, 02:34 PM
So WCU could beat Furman, a team that you think should be at the top of the SoCon, and you would only consider a non guaranteed promotion at 4-0?

Furman could beat WCU, a team you consistently rank near the bottom, and shoot up near the top at 1-3?

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.DKCm-r7bEVZZq_6nv4RkGgAAAA&w=298&h=178&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

I don't understand why you guys continue to bite at FUbear's trolling? He continues to throw out the line and continues to hook one or two WCU guys. To play his game, only pulls you down to his level.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29078&stc=1

tenNesseeCat
September 28th, 2018, 02:46 PM
I'm the guy that stirs the fire ant nest for the hell of it. His opinions really don't matter to me. Sometimes he makes some good points, but mainly I know he can't stand WCU. So I stir him up from time to time, for the hell of it.

FUBeAR
September 28th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I don't understand why you guys continue to bite at FUbear's trolling? He continues to throw out the line and continues to hook one or two WCU guys. To play his game, only pulls you down to his level.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29078&stc=1*up

FUBeAR
September 28th, 2018, 03:25 PM

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.DKCm-r7bEVZZq_6nv4RkGgAAAA&w=298&h=178&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7For your 1st postulate, your premise is in error. If I thought Furman “should be at the top of the SoCon” THIS WEEK, I would have ranked them there. They are not. THIS WEEK, they are #8.

As to your 2nd postulate, obviously the Math bar is set pretty low at Western Cullowhee University. “at 1-3” is the wrong answer.

Follow along...it’s a ‘story problem.’

1) There are 9 Teams in the SoCon.

2) Half of 9 can be expressed as 9 divided by 2, which can also be expressed as 4.5. Now we have derived our midpoint.

3) Thus, if we say, as is commonly understood, that the number #1 Ranked Team is the “Top Team” and the #9 is the “Bottom Team.” Using those terms AND our midpoint, we can then extrapolate that...
a) the 4 Teams ranked #1 through #4 are relatively “at the top” of the SoCon and...
b) the 4 Teams ranked #6 through #9 are relatively “at the bottom” of the SoCon and...
c) the 1 Team ranked #5 is “in the middle” of the SoCon

4) Thus, a Team ranked as low as #5 would, in fact, be “NEAR the top.”

5) At this point in the season, with...
a) Team #2 having a potentially tough game on the road,
b) Team #3 playing a ranked Team that could send their overall record to 1-3
c) Team #4 losing their Starting QB, taking a LONG road trip, and facing a Team STARVING for a win that also feels (and seems) that they are starting to get their act together.
d) Team #5 on a 2 game losing streak & facing a Top 5 Team on the road that could send their record to 1-4...

...I think any reasonable and/or reasonably intelligent poster could easily envision a scenario where Team #8 winning a game over an undefeated Team that is receiving votes in most national polls, could ascend to at least a #5 ranking (or higher).

YOU, too, can see that (now)...right?

...or...I could just say, “I’m a “homer” and I felt like it.”

wcugrad95
September 28th, 2018, 04:37 PM
I was just checking the TV schedule for tomorrow. Every game except Citadel vs Towson is on an ESPN channel. I see something on stretchinternet.com (what I think is behind caa.tv) for that game - does anybody know if that is where to go to see it, and if there is a charge? Or is there a better place?

Sandlapper Spike
September 28th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Some shifts in the spreads from 5dimes (changes in bold letters):

Favorite
Over/Under
Rough Estimated Score

WCU -3 over Furman
WCU 34 Furman 31 (had been FU -5)

Wofford -26 over GWU

Towson -1 over Citadel
Towson 29 Citadel 28 (had been Towson -6.5)

KSU -9 over Samford
KSU 34 Samford 25 (had been KSU -5.5)

Mercer -7 over VMI
Mercer 32 VMI 25 (had been VMI -7.5 and 66 O/U)

UTC -14.5 over ETSU
UTC 30 ETSU 16 (had been no line when I checked earlier)

Looks like Vegas thinks it is a crapshoot between WCU/FU, and Citadel/Towson.

I can't say I've seen line movements like these before with FCS games. At least, I don't remember any. The Citadel-Mercer had a 12-point move last week, too.

wcugrad95
September 28th, 2018, 06:40 PM
I can't say I've seen line movements like these before with FCS games. At least, I don't remember any. The Citadel-Mercer had a 12-point move last week, too.

And it changes again. I know the line moves with how the bets are laid, but I really didn't expect there would be enough money on SoCon games to swing the line as much as I have witnessed the last 2 weeks. Here are the current lines tonight:

Favorite
Over/Under
Rough Estimated Score

WCU -6 over Furman
WCU 34 Furman 28 (had been FU -5 - then was WCU -3 - this is 11 points different had you bet early)

Wofford -26 over GWU

Towson -1.5 over Citadel
Towson 29 Citadel 28 (had been Towson -6.5, then Townson -1)

KSU -9 over Samford
KSU 34 Samford 25 (had been KSU -5.5, but no change in last look)

Mercer -8.5 over VMI
Mercer 33 VMI 24 (had been VMI -7.5, then Mercer -7 - this is 16 points different had you bet early)

UTC -14.5 over ETSU
UTC 30 ETSU 16 (no change)

gofurman
September 28th, 2018, 10:38 PM
And it changes again. I know the line moves with how the bets are laid, but I really didn't expect there would be enough money on SoCon games to swing the line as much as I have witnessed the last 2 weeks. Here are the current lines tonight:

Favorite
Over/Under
Rough Estimated Score

WCU -6 over Furman
WCU 34 Furman 28 (had been FU -5 - then was WCU -3 - this is 11 points different had you bet early)

Wofford -26 over GWU

Towson -1.5 over Citadel
Towson 29 Citadel 28 (had been Towson -6.5, then Townson -1)

KSU -9 over Samford
KSU 34 Samford 25 (had been KSU -5.5, but no change in last look)

Mercer -8.5 over VMI
Mercer 33 VMI 24 (had been VMI -7.5, then Mercer -7 - this is 16 points different had you bet early)

UTC -14.5 over ETSU
UTC 30 ETSU 16 (no change)

I have never seen lines move this. Could it be a lack of liquidity? I.E. very few bets so one large bet moves the line tremendously ? I am asking. I admit. I woulda HAMMERED that early VMI line - if I bet - by betting on Mercer + 7.5 !

But out the thing would be wherever these numbers are from (5dimes?) it should be the same liquidity as prior years. I dint see why SoCon betting (small as it would be in grand scheme of things) would be drastically up or down this year versus any prior year? Thoughts ? Why would lines change so much more this year than other years ?

tenNesseeCat
September 28th, 2018, 11:40 PM
As to your 2nd postulate, obviously the Math bar is set pretty low at Western Cullowhee University. “at 1-3” is the wrong answer.

Furman lost to Clemson, Elon, and ETSU (0-3)...IF they beat WCU, they would be 1-3. I really don't see where my math is wrong. Admittedly I wasn't taught common core.

FUBeAR
September 29th, 2018, 12:19 AM
I really don't see where my math is wrong. Admittedly I wasn't taught common core.I just can’t simplify it any more for you in this medium. Sorry.

Come find me on the FU sidelines tomorrow & I’ll ask Coach Hendrix if we can borrow a whiteboard and then I can lay it out for you using primary colored markers and maybe some beanbags or animal/action figures - 3 dogs, 1 kangaroo, 1 bear, 1 pirate, 1 bird (or snake), 1 horse, and 1 pussycat should do the trick. Wear your thinking cap!

wcugrad95
September 29th, 2018, 08:04 AM
I have never seen lines move this. Could it be a lack of liquidity? I.E. very few bets so one large bet moves the line tremendously ? I am asking. I admit. I woulda HAMMERED that early VMI line - if I bet - by betting on Mercer + 7.5 !

But out the thing would be wherever these numbers are from (5dimes?) it should be the same liquidity as prior years. I dint see why SoCon betting (small as it would be in grand scheme of things) would be drastically up or down this year versus any prior year? Thoughts ? Why would lines change so much more this year than other years ?
I have been pulling them from both 5dimes and VegasInsider to compare - they are almost always the same (except sometimes one or the other won't have a line). I was very curious about the swings, too. I guess if there are very few or no bets, a couple of hundred theoretically could move it. The really odd thing was last week - the Mercer vs Citadel game went from something like Mercer -5.5 to Citadel -7. Then Citadel won by 7. Kinda weird.

Milktruck74
September 29th, 2018, 08:52 AM
I have been pulling them from both 5dimes and VegasInsider to compare - they are almost always the same (except sometimes one or the other won't have a line). I was very curious about the swings, too. I guess if there are very few or no bets, a couple of hundred theoretically could move it. The really odd thing was last week - the Mercer vs Citadel game went from something like Mercer -5.5 to Citadel -7. Then Citadel won by 7. Kinda weird.

It’s a conspiracy....they know. DJT has it all rigged....it was something Tesla invented, that DJTs uncle got his hands on....don’t worry, the FBI is investigating. And when they are done the FBS is going to a 24 team playoff.

Milktruck74
September 29th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Keydets look like they have found some defense.....

wcugrad95
September 29th, 2018, 02:09 PM
WCU has not...

We still have an offense. Fumble at the 1 -yard line with around 1 minute left in the half and FU has 31-10 lead. WCU comes up with an INT and then scores to make it 31-17 (should be 31-24 if we don't fumble). WCU had 273 yards in first half, and now have 329 after our first possession of the 3rd quarter. I still predict WCU will have to score 48 plus to be in the game, and not scoring at the end of the half really hurts.

Smitty
September 29th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Well Western tried to come back at the end. I swear I've seen better pee wee teams tackling than Western's D.

wcugrad95
September 29th, 2018, 04:50 PM
The WCU vs Furman game to me looked like two very mediocre teams who struggle on defense playing a very entertaining game if you are not a fan of either school. Maybe WCU is really that good on Offense, or maybe Furman almost pulled a 2nd-week-in-a-row zombie effort that almost let them lose. But WCU giving up a kickoff return for a TD early and then turning the ball over with 2 fumbles inside the red zone is the difference between these 2 teams. Easily could have gone either way (a first-half fumble by Western at the 1-yard line), but I think it shows that both need to play a whole lot better on defense if either wants to do anything in the SoCon.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Much needed win for Furman. They played a relatively complete game and managed to close this one out (unlike last week).

Two bold predictions.

(1) Tyrie Adams will be SoCon OPOTY over Devlin Hodges.

He single handedly kept WCU in this game. Furman knocked him around like a pinball most of the game, but really had some Armanti Edwards moments keeping his feet, completing passes with guys hanging off of him. If you had told me Adams would throw for 424 and 5 TDs, I'd have assumed Furman lost big.

(2) Furman's Adrian Hope is SoCon Freshman of the Year. Hope is a big-time pass rusher of a type you do not often see in the SoCon. He now has six sacks in four games, including another 3 today. WCU's senior offensive line couldn't block him, often having to double team him with a RB or TE. He could have had two or three more if not for Adams' pure athleticism and ability to throw while hitting the turf.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2018, 04:54 PM
The WCU vs Furman game to me looked like two very mediocre teams who struggle on defense playing a very entertaining game if you are not a fan of either school. Maybe WCU is really that good on Offense, or maybe Furman almost pulled a 2nd-week-in-a-row zombie effort that almost let them lose. But WCU giving up a kickoff return for a TD early and then turning the ball over with 2 fumbles inside the red zone is the difference between these 2 teams. Easily could have gone either way (a first-half fumble by Western at the 1-yard line), but I think it shows that both need to play a whole lot better on defense if either wants to do anything in the SoCon.

I personally think the SoCon is wide open and either team has the ability to beat any of the other ones.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Samford is going to drop to 1-4. They cannot win 7 D1 regular season games, and it appears their only path to the postseason is the SoCon's auto bid.

Already being down 0-2 in the conference, they will have to win out and hope for a weird 2013 series of tiebreakers.

What an incredibly disappointing season for the Bulldogs.

ETSUfan1
September 29th, 2018, 07:42 PM
ETSU 17
UTC 0
2Q 4:00

kdinva
September 29th, 2018, 07:48 PM
three straight weeks VMI has committed too many goofs to win.....two turnovers today inside the 20......14 easy mercer points. Two times inside the five.......zero points. NO EXCUSE for having 1st and goal from the 1, and don't score. Got a 6'4" QB with good leg drive who can sneak it in.....four receivers (including the TE) 6'2" or taller......enough good backs to run power type plays in short yardage situations.....but O-line must perform better....and too many coaching gambles on 4th down. The last two games: a combined 9-16 on fourth down calls.....

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Book it: Wofford is better than last year. Yes, we are pulverizing bad teams, but that VMI blowout is looking better and better each week. Our offense has had two of our three best games in program history in terms of yardage this year. We took the foot off the gas in the third quarter tonight and ran the clock out on our last possession otherwise we would have broken the record we set earlier this year.

Our weaknesses are turnovers and depth on the DL. All conference DT Mikel Horton is out for the year with a shoulder injury.

By all indication, the strings are off Nate Woody and the Wofford offenses of 2007-2012 are back in terms of scoring potential. Right now we are an 8 win team at best that needs to continue to improve but I like what I see so far.

Mocs123
September 29th, 2018, 08:02 PM
I think the UTC Bus picked up the Soddy Daisy High School team instead of the Mocs. We’re lucky to just be down 17.

The Buc defense is pretty good and we have suddenly forgotten how to block.

And apparantly Carmon Felus is calling the plays.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Here's some good news for Furman.

By my calculations, 322 of yards of Furman's 472 total along with 4 touchdowns were contributed by freshmen or sophomores. Furman started 4 sophomores on the OL.

Our offense is still very young and likely rebuilding, but there's a lot of talent on that side of the ball. The big play potential is still very much there.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Book it: Wofford is better than last year. Yes, we are pulverizing bad teams, but that VMI blowout is looking better and better each week. Our offense has had two of our three best games in program history in terms of yardage this year. We took the foot off the gas in the third quarter tonight and ran the clock out on our last possession otherwise we would have broken the record we set earlier this year.

Our weaknesses are turnovers and depth on the DL. All conference DT Mikel Horton is out for the year with a shoulder injury.

By all indication, the strings are off Nate Woody and the Wofford offenses of 2007-2012 are back in terms of scoring potential. Right now we are an 8 win team at best that needs to continue to improve but I like what I see so far.

I still think we are in a wait and see on Wofford. Their 3 wins came against three FCS teams that are a combined 2-12.

UpstateBison
September 29th, 2018, 08:29 PM

I am confused. You are better than last year but an 8 win team at best?

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2018, 09:17 PM
I am confused. You are better than last year but an 8 win team at best?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe socon is competitive, we could have easily gone 6-5 last year and I am sandbagging like hella.

ElCid
September 29th, 2018, 09:40 PM
I think the time management of UTC in the last minute was the worst I have seen in a while. At least time for 4 plays was wasted.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 29th, 2018, 09:48 PM
ETSU 17, UTC 14 FINAL

SCPALADIN
September 29th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Wild day. Someone go ahead and startup a "Southern Conference Week 6 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em" thread...I'm curious to see what people's thoughts are.

walliver
September 29th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Wild day. Someone go ahead and startup a "Southern Conference Week 6 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em" thread...I'm curious to see what people's thoughts are.it will be interesting.

I know who I’ll pick for 1 and 9. The other seven teams are a toss-up

UCMoc
September 29th, 2018, 10:04 PM
I think the time management of UTC in the last minute was the worst I have seen in a while. At least time for 4 plays was wasted.

It was completely baffling. They were moving the ball well enough to have a shot at a field goal at least, but the clock management was terrible.

Mocs123
September 29th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Congrats to ETSU. The Bucs clearly wanted it more and the Mocs didn’t come prepared.

You guys have have a nice stadium and a pretty good atmosphere. Nice attendance as well.

The ETSU defense was the real deal. I’m not 100% sold on the ETSU offense but they looked better than we did.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2018, 10:39 PM
I still think we are in a wait and see on Wofford. Their 3 wins came against three FCS teams that are a combined 2-12.

Normally I would agree but the contrast between last year's team and this year's team is pretty stark in the positive direction.

The fact that we've had 600+ yards of offense *twice* isn't a coincidence

gofurman
September 29th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Congrats to ETSU. The Bucs clearly wanted it more and the Mocs didn’t come prepared.

You guys have have a nice stadium and a pretty good atmosphere. Nice attendance as well.

The ETSU defense was the real deal. I’m not 100% sold on the ETSU offense but they looked better than we did.
I hope ETSU defense is great. My Paladins put 27 on them in a losing effort... That said, from the ETSU V Furman game I think ETSU is possibly better on O than they are on D possibly.

Mocs123
September 29th, 2018, 10:44 PM
We held their O to 265 yards and 50 of those were on one play in the 1st Qtr.

Maybe our O is just that bad.

ETSUfan1
September 29th, 2018, 10:46 PM
Glad to see us putting Ws up on the board. We definitely have to earn our respect. Best start since 96.

gofurman
September 29th, 2018, 10:53 PM

Objectvity - have to agree your VMI win keeps looking better by the week. My Paladins just played a Western Carolina that was pretty 'even' w VMI 7 days ago at a score of 52-50... And we Survived..barely. I am honestly shocked at how close VMI keeps coming each week. They were bad last year and lost several good players.

gofurman
September 29th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Here's some good news for Furman.

By my calculations, 322 of yards of Furman's 472 total along with 4 touchdowns were contributed by freshmen or sophomores. Furman started 4 sophomores on the OL.

Our offense is still very young and likely rebuilding, but there's a lot of talent on that side of the ball. The big play potential is still very much there.

THIS. Furman beat WCU (and win or lose we played them tough) - WCU had five Seniors on OL. FU had 4 Sophomores and a Junior on OL. Scary for rest of conference if FU is even competitive in some games this year ... as ALL TEN of our two deep on OL return next yr. That's crazy young. and I think 8 of ten on our two-deep on OL are back the next year - I.E. I think we have NO Seniors and only 2 Juniors on our two deep OL right now. I just hope we are competitive this yr in some games. Then we can really hit the ground running next yr. probably 3-5 in conference this yr? Then winning conference record and possibly playoffs next yr

we have more to work on on our defense this yr than I thought everyone would. We are fairly experienced on D - esp backfield but we aren't playing like it

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2018, 11:07 PM
We held their O to 265 yards and 50 of those were on one play in the 1st Qtr.

Maybe our O is just that bad.

I think that's likely. Chattanooga is still trying to figure out their offense. No run game!

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2018, 11:17 PM
I know people will say Wofford hasn't beaten anyone yet. That's true. But we know Wofford is good. We bring back a lot of players from last year's team.

We look like a team that's competing for a conference title. For the first time in literally years we look like a top 10 team, winning games by margins that top 10 teams are expected to do.

That may not be saying much, but it's showing improvement. We're the only team that's held the Citadel to 2 scores (their defense is not good, but their offense continuously improves). We're the only FCS team to put VMI away in the first half. We beat Gardner Webb, which isn't saying much, but considering that game was soooooooo close last year is indicative of *something.*

If you look at the yardage margins of the teams we've played compared to last year, our defense is letting up less yards, less points, and less scores per possession. Our offense is scoring more points, racking up more yardage, and scoring at a greater rate per possession than last year.

So yeah, we're beating up nobodies right now. But at the D1 level we haven't beaten up nobodies since 2012 and even then this offense is easily better than that one.

gofurman
September 29th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Much needed win for Furman. They played a relatively complete game and managed to close this one out (unlike last week).

Two bold predictions.

(1) Tyrie Adams will be SoCon OPOTY over Devlin Hodges.

He single handedly kept WCU in this game. Furman knocked him around like a pinball most of the game, but really had some Armanti Edwards moments keeping his feet, completing passes with guys hanging off of him. If you had told me Adams would throw for 424 and 5 TDs, I'd have assumed Furman lost big.

(2) Furman's Adrian Hope is SoCon Freshman of the Year. Hope is a big-time pass rusher of a type you do not often see in the SoCon. He now has six sacks in four games, including another 3 today. WCU's senior offensive line couldn't block him, often having to double team him with a RB or TE. He could have had two or three more if not for Adams' pure athleticism and ability to throw while hitting the turf.

Great win. Great. Hope is a killer. Adams is awesome

but man we HAVE to work on Pass D. We are getting a good pass rush but otherwise we can't stop the passing game of WCU or Henrik at ETSU

CID1990
September 30th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Our defense is garbage

Flacco is the real deal but no way he should have rushed for as much as he did if the defense is putting in at least a half assed effort.