PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook Football Bidding For the Future

seawolf
March 23rd, 2007, 08:50 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-skmarc0322,0,6785869.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

by Newsday's Steve Marcus

Yet another local college is aligning with schools from the South, but this time there just might be some logic to it.

Stony Brook University will join the Big South Conference in 2008. Why is SBU teaming with Liberty, Gardner-Webb, Charleston Southern, et al? First and foremost, it beats being an independent with an unbalanced schedule that could range from a piddling scholarship team to an over the top contender and no shot at the NCAA playoffs.

Joining a conference, any conference, displays a method to this I-AA (now Football Championship Subdivision) madness. Football cannot forecast success as an independent and that is what Stony Brook faced when it left the Northeast Conference where it competed with Central Connecticut, Wagner, Albany, Robert Morris and others in a non-bid and undernourished scholarship situation. Stony Brook wanted out, even after a conference title in 2005, because it eventually wants to compete with the best the division has to offer.

SBU athletic director Jim Fiore wasn't satisfied to schedule as an independent for more than a year or two. He knows where he wants to go and may have the perfect blend of ambition and impatience to make it work, though this will be like a long term bond that may not yield dividends until held to maturity.

Here's what will happen in Fiore's perfect world: Stony Brook will acquit itself well over the next several years, adding scholarships and continuing to play arch-rival Hofstra and other fully funded (by FCS standards) schools as he can. Look for games against Hofstra, UMass, Richmond and Youngstown State in the immediate future.

If Fiore can raise the scholarship ante to the allowable 63--and he promises he will--he might have something here. The Big South needed a warm football body to fulfill the requirement of six teams for automatic bid consideration. Even if Big South commissioner Kyle Kallander was being gratuitous in saying he expects Stony Brook to compete for the conference championship right away, that is exactly Stony Brook's goal.

Stony Brook hopes to be poised to make a run at that NCAA bid because attaining it could open the Seawolves to other conference opportunities. Ultimately, and all of this could take the better part of a decade, the end game for Stony Brook is being in a high profile conference with some of the best northeast teams in the Football Championship Subdivision. Currently, many of those reside in the Colonial Athletic Association, which essentially took over the Atlantic 10 Conference. The Big South is safe harbor until that opportunity arrives.

Fiore has no choice but to be optimistic that all the pieces will come together. He isn't releasing the price tag for all of this, but suffice to say it is enormous. And its mostly on him to make it work through raising the revenue. His administration backs the concept but isn't necessarily signing a blank check to finance it. Let the rubber chicken circuit begin, or more accurately, continue, with Fiore as the keynote speaker.

As we have repeatedly said, this brand of football, regardless of affiliation, has not worked at the box office on Long Island as it has in other parts of the country. Hofstra has proven that year after year. The difference at Stony Brook is that it does not have to fill a 15,000-seat stadium. A nice crowd at the college's on-campus facility is four or five thousand. It may not make money but at least will render the attendance issue moot.

In any event, we're probably guaranteed one local northeast rivalry amid this southern discomfort: Hofstra-Stony Brook. Anybody for a one-game season?

Cobblestone
March 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
I don't think it is right that whoever wins the Northeast Conference doesn't get an automatic bid. All conference champions should get an automatic bid. It looks like Stony Brook is headed in a good direction, hopefully they can compete in the Big South. I wouldn't mind if we took their place in the NEC.

UNHWildCats
March 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Why does he say I-AA (now Football Championship Subdivision) instead of Football Championship Subdivision (Formerly I-AA)

IS this the same idiot as last week?

dbackjon
March 23rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Same guy as last week, yes.

Marcus Garvey
March 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Why does he say I-AA (now Football Championship Subdivision) instead of Football Championship Subdivision (Formerly I-AA)

IS this the same idiot as last week?

Wow. Talk about arguing semantics. A rose is a rose by any other name. :)

Stony Brook football is not on the radar of most New York area sports fans. Knowing his audience, he chose the correct wording. Any readers familiar with college football would reconize "I-AA" first, hence he used that to identify their program, and then parenthetically gave the new name. It's not his job to market "FCS" football.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with this reporter, but I like this quote:
"As we have repeatedly said, this brand of football, regardless of affiliation, has not worked at the box office on Long Island as it has in other parts of the country. Hofstra has proven that year after year. "
That about sums it up. Stony Brook has their work cut out for them.

Seahawks Fan
March 23rd, 2007, 12:23 PM

Stony Brook football is not on the radar of most New York area sports fans. Knowing his audience, he chose the correct wording. Any readers familiar with college football would reconize "I-AA" first, hence he used that to identify their program, and then parenthetically gave the new name. It's not his job to market "FCS" football.

"As we have repeatedly said, this brand of football, regardless of affiliation, has not worked at the box office on Long Island as it has in other parts of the country. Hofstra has proven that year after year. "

You are correct. The people in the New York metropolitan area wouldn't have a clue what FCS stands for. If Stony Brook had a problem with attendance before this, what will happen when the Big South schools come to Long Island? Gardner Webb? Liberty? Oh my!

SuperJon
March 23rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Liberty and Coastal have quite a bit of students from NY, NJ and other areas up north. Those are the two schools that'll give them a good gate.

Seawolf97
March 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
I checked our attendance for last season and it was 4336/game for four home games. Considering the Robert Morris game was played in torrential rain and wind and a pretty empty stadium 4300 fans per game is ok.
I agree that the the NEC Champ should receive an auto bid. Last season Monmouth went 10-1 and beat some pretty respectable teams. In any event looking forward to our new conference in 2008-should see some good games.

ngineer
March 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
I checked our attendance for last season and it was 4336/game for four home games. Considering the Robert Morris game was played in torrential rain and wind and a pretty empty stadium 4300 fans per game is ok.
I agree that the the NEC Champ should receive an auto bid. Last season Monmouth went 10-1 and beat some pretty respectable teams. In any event looking forward to our new conference in 2008-should see some good games.

that average isn't bad considering. Hofstra hasn't been able to draw for years, good or bad. We played over there back in the late '90's and had just as many people in the stadium as they did.

mainejeff
March 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
This guy is SO behind. Basically, he is saying that Stony Brook is biding its time in the Big South until AE forms or the CAA breaks up......we ALL know that.

Mr. C
March 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM

This reporter consistently bashes the teams playing FCS. Just last week, he wrote a column on how unimportant teams like Hofstra and Stony Brook are. He called FCS a dying form of football, among other things.

At Tuesday's press conference he actually, in all seriousness asked a question about Stony Brook getting invited into the CAA (like that is going to happen).

And calling his mess up on the name semantics is silly. Having had some correspondence with him, I think he did this on purpose to tweak something he doesn't like a little more. He frequently refered to I-AA as 1-AA, even though he had been corrected on that, too.

Marcus is some loser who would rather be covering the Jets or Giants.