PDA

View Full Version : 12 Game Rule A Payoff for Some I-AAs

RadMann
July 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM
The AP article linked below discusses the impact of the 12 game I-A trule and the windfall extra I-A games will give some I-AA programs.

"SoCon, other Division I-AAs back in the money

By PETE IACOBELLI
AP Sports Writer
SPARTANBURG, S.C.
With Furman's reputation as a giant killer known throughout college football, Paladins coach Bobby Lamb couldn't get a big-time school to return his call about a potential game. Then the NCAA mandated a 12th game for Division I-A beginning in 2006.

"The 12th game has opened up an avenue" for Division I-AA teams like Furman, Lamb said Tuesday at the Southern Conference rouser.

And the results have been immediate. Furman is set to play North Carolina - a 28-3 victory over the Tar Heels in 1999 was the most recent evidence of Furman's skill at handling larger opponents - next season, Virginia Tech in 2008 and schools like Clemson and Florida waiting on deck........."

AP Story (http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050726/APS/507260960)

Tribe4SF
July 26th, 2005, 09:57 PM
This is absolutely true. As a result of the revised rule on counting a I-AA game each year, W&M has scheduled ACC teams through the 2011 season, all within 4 hours of Williamsburg. Big money with low travel costs.

GSUBass
July 26th, 2005, 11:47 PM
and yet we hear nothing out of GSU about scheduling a I-A team...:spank:

RadMann
July 27th, 2005, 10:05 AM
To be honest, if you don't need the money I'm not sold on scheduling I-As. If your program needs the cash to continue operating, go for it, but setting up a series where all games are on the road is not exactly the best situation.

youwouldno
July 27th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Maybe because of their attendance GSU asks for a lot of $$$?

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
To be honest, if you don't need the money I'm not sold on scheduling I-As. If your program needs the cash to continue operating, go for it, but setting up a series where all games are on the road is not exactly the best situation.

I completely agree. If you are an elite IAA team and had the options (mone-wise), I would rather go out and schedule other top 10 IAA teams as opposed to what is basically a throwaway road game for a paycheck (and yes, I realize some of the top IAA schools can, and will, beat lower IA schools).

SCREW THE MAJOR IA's!

IAA schools are basically prostituting themselves for a big payday...further increasing the "power" of the major IA schools that have learned they can buy whatever they want.

...that is why you almost never see a major college basketball team on the road in November or December anymore....they buy a home schedule (even a crappy team like Tennessee-Knoxville played in the Maui Invitational, then had 7 of their other 8 OOC games at home...playing only at New Mexico).

We go around like little beggers, the "bigs" pat us on the head, give us a little money...and then make 5-10 times more at the gate. All we are doing is making them stronger...and thus, ourselves weaker.

I know that making budget in the mids is tough...I just hate to see the "glee" that some AD's proclaim at a road a$$-whipping for a check...like the big team is really doing us a favor...while they laugh all the way to the bank :bang:

Whew...sorry, that rant kinda came out of nowhere.

ebirToG
July 27th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I know there was a thread on this a while back but I will restate it...

As a former player (W&M 1986-1990) it was awsome to play the 1A schools.

How else would a 5 foot 8, 180 pound, not very fast receiver like me get to play at UVA and Georgia? And I should point out the are usually relatively close games (we won in 1986 - UVA)

OL FU
July 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I completely agree. If you are an elite IAA team and had the options (mone-wise), I would rather go out and schedule other top 10 IAA teams as opposed to what is basically a throwaway road game for a paycheck (and yes, I realize some of the top IAA schools can, and will, beat lower IA schools).

SCREW THE MAJOR IA's!

IAA schools are basically prostituting themselves for a big payday...further increasing the "power" of the major IA schools that have learned they can buy whatever they want.

...that is why you almost never see a major college basketball team on the road in November or December anymore....they buy a home schedule (even a crappy team like Tennessee-Knoxville played in the Maui Invitational, then had 7 of their other 8 OOC games at home...playing only at New Mexico).

We go around like little beggers, the "bigs" pat us on the head, give us a little money...and then make 5-10 times more at the gate. All we are doing is making them stronger...and thus, ourselves weaker.

I know that making budget in the mids is tough...I just hate to see the "glee" that some AD's proclaim at a road a$$-whipping for a check...like the big team is really doing us a favor...while they laugh all the way to the bank :bang:

I understand why you said it, but I think you missed that both the players and fans look forward to these games. I will qualify that statement, I, as a fan, look forward to the games that are somewhat competitive or local i.e., Pitt, Clemson, UNC. I have to admit that I scratch my head over FU playing Va Tech. Also, I would not want to see us go to Auburn or back to FSU, etc. But the other games, I sincerely love the chance to watch the game and maybe, just maybe, get a win.

PS, if I were a Jacksonville State fan, I would feel differently about playing Auburn. Whether I could win or not, I would look forward to the opportunity to play the neighborhood bully.

bluehenbillk
July 27th, 2005, 04:02 PM
RadMann, I agree, UD nets a 7-digit profit on FB every year, so we don't NEED to play them. However, I like playing 1-A's.

2007: Navy
2008: Maryland
2009: Navy
2010: Navy

Tribe4SF
July 27th, 2005, 06:42 PM
ebirToG sums up the feeling of all of us at W&M. It's just part of our tradition. The great thing about the ACC deals is that fans will be able to make these games easily.

To really polish off our future OOCs, we need a long term series with Hampton University, which is only 30 miles away. No travel costs and big crowds at both sites.

BBB
July 28th, 2005, 07:41 AM

SCREW THE MAJOR IA's!

I co-sign on ALL OF THIS

I don't think ANY 1-AA team should pimping themselves for 1-A payday. If you can't foot the bill at 1-AA maybe you should make amove down the D2. We don't have the scholarships to compete with 1-A teams and very few of us can even do that.

OL FU
July 28th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I co-sign on ALL OF THIS

I don't think ANY 1-AA team should pimping themselves for 1-A payday. If you can't foot the bill at 1-AA maybe you should make amove down the D2. We don't have the scholarships to compete with 1-A teams and very few of us can even do that.

No doubt one of the reasons I-AA's play I-A's is for the money.
But it is also for the fans. Read the threads and hear the complaints of the fans whose teams are not playing a I-A. I don't consider that pimping.

MSUCats
July 28th, 2005, 07:49 AM
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Minnesota

But this has been Kramers plan for awhile. Schedule at least one 1A school a year. I realize the cost factor does not benefit either team, but I would really like a home/home with someone from the A10 or South. :)

Tribe4SF
July 28th, 2005, 08:42 AM
No doubt one of the reasons I-AA's play I-A's is for the money.
But it is also for the fans. Read the threads and hear the complaints of the fans whose teams are not playing a I-A. I don't consider that pimping.

It's also for the players. I've never heard a Tribe player say he wished we didn't play a I-A every year. They all look forward to it and it is a recruiting plus.

BBB
July 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
It's also for the players. I've never heard a Tribe player say he wished we didn't play a I-A every year. They all look forward to it and it is a recruiting plus.

Recruiting plus? How so? I always thought people go to schools for the way it's winning.

OL FU
July 28th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Recruiting plus? How so? I always thought people go to schools for the way it's winning.

9-2 with a loss to Pitt still qualifies as a winning team.

McNeese75
July 28th, 2005, 09:29 AM

I agree with regard to the players. The McNeese teams have really enjoyed going to the line against the likes of Miami, Texas A&M K-State and Nebraska. I spoke to one of the officials that called the Nebraska game in 2002 at the airport on our way out of town and he smiled when he commented at how much fun everyone was having on the field that day.

Tribe4SF
July 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM

People go to schools for alot of reasons. Quality kids want to be challenged and I-A games fit with a desire to be the best you can be. Maybe Howard should try it. If you think a winning program is the only consideration, then you must be depressed about the Bison's prospects these days.

ebirToG
July 28th, 2005, 12:56 PM
If David gets a chance to run out onto a field in front of 60-80K people and line up against Goliath...

I played a lot of games but that was an unbelievable experience every time. It is a big recruiting tool.

putter
July 28th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Opportunity....

Opportunity for the school to get a bigger payday that can be used to fund the non-revenue sports

Opportunity for your program to get more exposure, especially by playing well..(See Furman - Pitt last year)

Opportunity for I-AA players to perform against the top level competition and get noticed by the scouts!!!

Eaglegus2
July 28th, 2005, 04:06 PM
and yet we hear nothing out of GSU about scheduling a I-A team...:spank:

Spurrier said he would keep Georgia Southern in mind if South Carolina was to need a 1-AA game.

Maybe, you should try to make an Eagle Club meeting in your area. If you don't know where to find the closest Eagle Club. You can call Alumni Relations.

GreatAppSt
July 28th, 2005, 05:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with playing big IAs. Appalachian is going to whip up on both Kansas and LSU this season. ;-);-)

BBB
July 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM
People go to schools for alot of reasons. Quality kids want to be challenged and I-A games fit with a desire to be the best you can be. Maybe Howard should try it. If you think a winning program is the only consideration, then you must be depressed about the Bison's prospects these days.

Howard has had winning seasons in 2 out of the last 3 seasons. A few bounces and we're 8-3 but that's neither here nor there.

I'll also AGAIN compare the NEXT level advances of Bison players to Tribe players in the NFL. I'm talking about ones who got drafted and/or actually getting playing time. But once again that's neither here nor there.

But we'll keep the conversation civil.

The occasional "good game" or upset victory over a low-level 1-A team doesn't overcome the amount of POUNDINGS that you're going to take to make said 1-A teams bowl eligible. I'm also interested in the VICTORIES over that 1-AA own over 1-A schools that actually had winning seasons.

I'm sure the players aren't afraid of playing against the best. But let's face it here, 1-A offer more scholarships. 1-As don't sit around waiting for somebody to get upset over playing time and transfer down to our schools. There are some, don't get me wrong but the number of schools who are playing at the top level aren't doing it based off of recruited guys alone. Most of them have relied on 1-A transfers to move down.

1-AA schools have the talent but we don't have the depth to play these teams. It's basically a exercise in futility to even get excited to play these games. NOW if you're doing it for the home town rivalry and what not, cool. But let's not kid ourselves here. A bluechip prospect watching the tail end of a 65-14 pounding isn't going to say to himself. Gee whiz, I should go to that school getting WAXED. If he does he's probably going to go there because that school ended up 9-2 (as the poster before you said)

which leads me back to my original point. WINS equal better recruiting.

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM
There are some, don't get me wrong but the number of schools who are playing at the top level aren't doing it based off of recruited guys alone. Most of them have relied on 1-A transfers to move down.

A bluechip prospect watching the tail end of a 65-14 pounding isn't going to say to himself. Gee whiz, I should go to that school getting WAXED. If he does he's probably going to go there because that school ended up 9-2 (as the poster before you said)

which leads me back to my original point. WINS equal better recruiting.

The Tribe is one who has not relied on I-A transfers, so recruiting is critically important to us.

You talk about a bluechip prospect making his decision. Show me a I-AA school who's recruiting bluechip prospects. 5 and 4 star recruits are not even sniffed by I-AAs, so that scenario never happens.

Now if a 2 star recruit is watching, the chance to matchup every year against those bluechippers is definitely a draw. Many of our recruits are kids who hoped for, but ended up not getting I-A offers. It's certainly not the most important factor, but for us it's part of the total package.

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Now if a 2 star recruit is watching, the chance to matchup every year against those bluechippers is definitely a draw. Many of our recruits are kids who hoped for, but ended up not getting I-A offers. It's certainly not the most important factor, but for us it's part of the total package.

Bingo!

We're not going to pull recruits away from BCS schools. However, we have landed recruits that we're offered by MAC schools and/or the service academies. Look at our QBs for next year. One was offered a half scholly by Maryland. The other was offered by UVA after he verbally commited to the Tribe. Its easier to pass on the chance to play for a IA school if you know you'll at least get the chance to match up once a year against the "big boys". As TSF said, its certainly not the most important factor, but its definetely on these kids radar screen.

The fans enjoy it!

The players welcome it!

The program makes some cash!

Seems like everybody' happy to me??

Lastly, JMU and UD, the last two NC's both played IA's the same year as winning the title. I'd guess the majority of I-AA NC's have played a IA in the same year. To be the best you ruly have to play the best.

LetsGoNova
July 29th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I am glad Villanova plays I-AA's, for a variety of reasons including more recognizable opponents, travel to some cool venues, opportunities for the players to test themselves at the highest levels. We have had some success at these games, as well. However, I recognize that it is mostly driven by the guarantee $$$. I am split on that issue since Villanova is on the other side of that equation during basketball season.

Villanova's upcoming I-A schedule:

2005 @ Rutgers
2006 @ Maryland
2007 @ Auburn
2008 @ West Va.

JohnStOnge
July 30th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I co-sign on ALL OF THIS

Time to mention again that I-AA teams do beat I-A teams. Since the BCS started in 1998 teams that went on to make the I-AA playoffs have been close to 50:50 (24-25) against non BCS I-As. They've had a lot tougher time against BCS league teams (5 - 36) but that's still one win by a I-AA team in every 8 contests...which is probably a lot better than most expect.

Just to see how people's perception meshes with reality: How about some guesses as to what the average margin has been (BCS league team score minus I-AA playoff team score) since the start of the 1998 season?

Anyway, the point is that competetive games between good I-AA teams and I-A teams are not rare at all. When Furman beat North Carolina 28-3 and lost to Pitt in overtime last year, the Paladins obviously didn't make the trips just to pick up paychecks. Same with trips made by Georgia Southern to Oregon State, by Appalachian State to Auburn, and Maine going to Mississippi State.

I think the "David vs. Goliath" aspect associated with a I-AA/I-A matchup can be very interesting. You never know when you're going to get one of those good games, but they are really neat when they occur. Like, who would've expected that a I-AA (Eastern Washington) that would go on to finish 6-5 would lose by only 21-19 to a BCS league I-A (Oregon State) that would finish 11-1 and in the top 5 of both major I-A polls? But it happened and it was really cool, I think.

kats89
July 30th, 2005, 05:41 PM
We are looking for a win against Conference USA Univ of Houston in September. That would be a nice upset.