PDA

View Full Version : Fordham thus far

Go...gate
September 18th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Can Ram fans give us some thoughts on the team's start?

Touchdown17
September 18th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Thanks for asking :D. An FBS and 2 CAA games were a tough way to start the season.

In the past we were an up tempo, spread it out and attack high scoring offense. New HC Conlin from (OC from Yale) wants to play a more deliberate style. Unfortunately 2 starting OL are out/injured , top 2 RBs are out/injured and we've been poor both run and pass blocking. Senior QB Medlock is a pocket passer but hasn't had time to throw and with no running game -- makes for difficult circumstances. Our freshman QB Tim Demorat - has both run and thrown for a TD in mop up duty. He is more mobile and can make plays with his legs. Thought being if we can't keep a clean pocket at least he can provide some offense extending plays with his athleticism.

Our Defense looks to be improved over years past. The effort is there and we have talent at LB and DB. Since our Offense has been poor (few sustained drives and points) the D has been on the field often and for long periods of time. Yes Richmond drubbed us but we competed with NC Charlotte and gave up only 14 points to SB offense..

We play CCSU and Georgetown @ home. If we can get wins the next 2 weeks and right the ship -- perhaps can make a little noise in the PL. Right now Id guess middle of the pack finish PL record 4-2, 3-3.

Go...gate
September 18th, 2018, 11:52 PM
I believe the Rams will be in the thick of the PL race.

A good running game and an improved defense will make a big difference as the season moves on.

LU808
September 19th, 2018, 11:14 AM
TOUCHDOWN17's description sounds like Lehigh!

Daytripper
September 19th, 2018, 11:17 AM
TOUCHDOWN17's description sounds like Lehigh!

...and Sam Houston.

Touchdown17
September 19th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I hope we eventually are in the thick of PL race . First though, we need a win or 2. :) .
For the first time in a decade I have more confidence in our Defense than Offense.
Personally, I think Freshman QB Demorat should start. It won't help the OL block any better .. lol.. but he does have more mobility (than QB Medlock) and can extend/make plays with his legs.

Congrats 'Gate on the nice win over UNH. Also HC good win over Yale. The majority of Fordham fans do root for the PL in OOC games.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2018, 11:19 AM
A lot of football remaining to be played. Still Summer - only the third week of September!

Fordham
September 19th, 2018, 12:08 PM
TD17 nailed it although I think we should be decided underdogs this week as well. It was a brutal start for a young team learning new systems and not sure we’ll know how to win in any tough battles yet. We need OL development quickly. Running game is nil and pass protection is sieve like.

The Boogie Down
September 19th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Thanks for asking :D. An FBS and 2 CAA games were a tough way to start the season.

In the past we were an up tempo, spread it out and attack high scoring offense. New HC Conlin from (OC from Yale) wants to play a more deliberate style. Unfortunately 2 starting OL are out/injured , top 2 RBs are out/injured and we've been poor both run and pass blocking. Senior QB Medlock is a pocket passer but hasn't had time to throw and with no running game -- makes for difficult circumstances. Our freshman QB Tim Demorat - has both run and thrown for a TD in mop up duty. He is more mobile and can make plays with his legs. Thought being if we can't keep a clean pocket at least he can provide some offense extending plays with his athleticism.

Our Defense looks to be improved over years past. The effort is there and we have talent at LB and DB. Since our Offense has been poor (few sustained drives and points) the D has been on the field often and for long periods of time. Yes Richmond drubbed us but we competed with NC Charlotte and gave up only 14 points to SB offense..

We play CCSU and Georgetown @ home. If we can get wins the next 2 weeks and right the ship -- perhaps can make a little noise in the PL. Right now Id guess middle of the pack finish PL record 4-2, 3-3.

I agree w/alotta of this but not all. I think, even while fully healthy, our RB's weren't getting anywhere w/this line. And, even while fully healthy, this line wasn't helping our RB's out too much. Overall our running game is ranked 124th in FCS and our total yards is ranked 123rd.

Defensively the effort has been there but the talent has dropped off considerably over the past couple of years. That says a whole lot considering how bad our D had already been going into this season. Aside from Cunningham (league MVP candidate) and Roberts, the talent just ain't there. Even the secondary has been a disappointment. Overall our D is ranked 111th against the run and 124th overall.

Being that there are 125 FCS teams out there, 123rd in O and 124th in D ain't gonna cut it.

The Boogie Down
October 8th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the thread but I remember reading something here about Pete Lembo almost getting the Fordham job. I know we're only 5 games into the season but after home losses to C. Conn State and Georgetown, i hafta ask... Would the program be this deep in the gutter under Lembo? (Insight from Fordham and especially Lehigh fans appreciated!)

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Ok, this uncomfortable question: is someone's job (for either team) on the line when Fordham faces Lehigh?

Go...gate
October 9th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Ok, this uncomfortable question: is someone's job (for either team) on the line when Fordham faces Lehigh?

I don't think Fordham would pull the plug this fast. Hard to say with Lehigh after last week. They may let Coen try to salvage the season now that league play has begun.

Lehigh'98
October 9th, 2018, 05:37 AM
I don't think Fordham would pull the plug this fast. Hard to say with Lehigh after last week. They may let Coen try to salvage the season now that league play has begun.

Mid season would never happen with Coen. Our AD goes back too far with him. Agree on Fordham. It will be pretty uncomfortable if we lose this weekend though. Have a homecoming type game with 93/98 championship teams. If the team puts forth the same effort they did last week, things will get racheted up to a degree Lehigh hasn't seen in awhile. Fordham, somehow, looks just as bad as us this year. I'm interested to see how the players on both teams react.

ngineer
October 9th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Mid season would never happen with Coen. Our AD goes back too far with him. Agree on Fordham. It will be pretty uncomfortable if we lose this weekend though. Have a homecoming type game with 93/98 championship teams. If the team puts forth the same effort they did last week, things will get racheted up to a degree Lehigh hasn't seen in awhile. Fordham, somehow, looks just as bad as us this year. I'm interested to see how the players on both teams react.

This. This is a critical game for Lehigh. Getting blown away the second half at Penn and most the game at Princeton was ugly. We knew Princeton would beat us...but it was the way we lost that has everyone so upset. We had one of those WTF games about ten years ago with Holy Cross, where it appeared some of the players quit. The riot act was read and Coen righted the ship. However, we have not seen the 'firey' Coen for a few years and there is a lot of wondering as to what is going on. It almost appears that we are only as good as our coordinators. A loss to Fordham would be devastating for Lehigh and could result in some ultimatums. I would be shocked of any mid-season change, though. A solid performance by the Mountain Hawks with eyes on a "new season" could turn things around with a winning run heading into the big showdown with Colgate on November 10.

The Boogie Down
October 10th, 2018, 06:44 PM

No way Fordham makes a move after 6 games. Same seems true for Lehigh as well. But, as I mentioned previously, I wonder how different things would be for the Rams if they had hired Pete Lembo instead? Maybe he gets a second look after this season? Maybe Lehigh will also look to go down that road again?

RichH2
October 10th, 2018, 06:52 PM
No way Fordham makes a move after 6 games. Same seems true for Lehigh as well. But, as I mentioned previously, I wonder how different things would be for the Rams if they had hired Pete Lembo instead? Maybe he gets a second look after this season? Maybe Lehigh will also look to go down that road again?

Lembo very unlikely to come back to Lehigh or the PL. Why would he? Alumni trashed him at Lehigh. In any event even a HC makes less than he makes now.

The Boogie Down
October 10th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Lembo very unlikely to come back to Lehigh or the PL. Why would he? Alumni trashed him at Lehigh. In any event even a HC makes less than he makes now.

Didn't know about his relationship w/Lehigh alums but he did interview at Fordham last December.

RichH2
October 10th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Didn't know about his relationship w/Lehigh alums but he did interview at Fordham last December.

He is an excellent HC. Quite irascible tho :).

Ramblin' Man
October 11th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Any talk or hint of a coaching change at Fordham next year is just plain silly. Touchdown17 has laid out this season's problems quite well. Clearly this is shaping up to be a very down year for the Rams. From where I sit in Section 8 at Coffey Field, I cannot see more than two wins this season, and that is probably optimistic. One win is more likely and even none is a distinct possibility. Nonetheless, Coach Conlin has to be given time to recruit the type of player suited to his system. He had good results at Yale and there is no reason to believe that he cannot do equally well at Fordham. We will be watching closely in this coming recruiting season.

ngineer
October 11th, 2018, 08:33 PM

Pistol Pete is climbing the rungs for the brass ring of being an FBS HC. Now at Rice as Asst. HC, having done the same gig at Maryland for two years after being HC at Ball State. Pete would not have stayed at Fordham. He may have gotten some momentum going, but he would be gone in a few years in seach of the holy brass ring.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 12th, 2018, 11:24 AM

Hard to say. As many said Conlin has a long leash with a mostly young team and a system to put in place, but coming off of the Princeton loss Lehigh really needs something to get things back on track.

ngineer
October 12th, 2018, 07:06 PM
All I can say is that the team better come out prepared to fight, scratch and claw. If we see another turd of a performance, at home and on a day honoring the PL Championship teams of 1993 and 1998 present, and with former HC Kevin Higgins present, it will get ugly. I could hear chants for Higgins, now.

RichH2
October 12th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Would love to have Kevin back . Dont see him leaving Wake tho.Agree this team best show some fire and execution. If not Andy may indeed have lost these young men.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 12th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Would love to have Kevin back . Dont see him leaving Wake tho.Agree this team best show some fire and execution. If not Andy may indeed have lost these young men.

Higgins is going to be 63 in less than two months. It's amazing how time flies. To think that the 1998 season is 20 years ago is just crazy! 20 years before that and Lehigh was defending D2 title!! That 1998 season was unlike any season that was before and after because it literally came out of nowhere. No one had any idea the team would go undefeated! Lehigh eeked out a few wins early but by the end of the year they were killing teams. The second half against Colgate was perfection! Hopefully Higgins enjoys his time back at Lehigh!

If things do go south with Andy I would not hesitate to call Drew Folmar. That guy has a bright future imo.....

Southsider
October 13th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Higgins is going to be 63 in less than two months. It's amazing how time flies. To think that the 1998 season is 20 years ago is just crazy! 20 years before that and Lehigh was defending D2 title!! That 1998 season was unlike any season that was before and after because it literally came out of nowhere. No one had any idea the team would go undefeated! Lehigh eeked out a few wins early but by the end of the year they were killing teams. The second half against Colgate was perfection! Hopefully Higgins enjoys his time back at Lehigh!

If things do go south with Andy I would not hesitate to call Drew Folmar. That guy has a bright future imo.....

If? They went south years ago. He s/b gone before kick-off today. Soon they can play the home games at the Uhlrich field. But hey, it has lights! Look, we all know the PL rules are idiotic and make it impossible to really compete. But that doesn't mean you quit. If you are not willing to fight on then bow out. This guy is just hanging around for the paycheck. The HC at Saucon Valley could do a better job with this gropof players. Hell, most of us here could.

ngineer
October 13th, 2018, 08:50 AM

No question he should be on anyone's short list.

The Boogie Down
October 22nd, 2018, 08:49 PM
Can Ram fans give us some thoughts on the team's start?

Aside from the Lehigh win my only positives are more media coverage from NY Sports Day: https://www.nysportsday.com/2018/10/21/fordham-falls-in-final-seconds-42-41/

And a big update from the Helmet Project: http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/
(but even the Helmet Project doesn't give you a direct link to any specific team or league)