PDA

View Full Version : William & Mary @ JMU Game Thread - 9/22/18

Derby City Duke
September 17th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Jimmye Laycock makes his final visit to Bridgeforth Stadium this Saturday; he is retiring after 39 years as W&M's head coach (he briefly accepted the Boston College job back in the day, but changed his mind after sleeping on it). By the way, the 'e' on the end of his name is not a misspelling...

He's been the Tribe's head coach for all 40 games with JMU (17-23).

Recap of last year's game:

-- JMU rolled at W&M last season, with a 46-14 winning in Williamsburg back on Oct. 21, 2017.
-- The Dukes had six takeaways, resulting in 33 points off turnovers to register JMU’s biggest win ever against the Tribe.
-- The defense also tallied six sacks in the win.
-- Jordan Brown had two interceptions, and Jimmy Moreland had a pick-six.
-- Bryan Schor tied the program record with his 51st career touchdown, throwing 13-of-24 for 186 yards. He also added a rushing score.
-- JMU set a program record with four field goals,as Tyler Gray and Ethan Ratke each made two

JMU has won 18 straight conference games (16-0 last two regular seasons and 2-0 in the '16 and '17 playoffs)

W&M is the last CAA team to beat JMU, winning 44-41 in Williamsburg in 2015.

RootinFerDukes
September 18th, 2018, 09:17 AM
JMU has actually won 20 consecutive CAA games when you go back to the final two games of the 2015 regular season. Delaware and Villanova.

grayghost06
September 18th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Coach Laycocke has been head man @ W&M for so long, his 1st two seasons they were still I-A in football.

Derby City Duke
September 18th, 2018, 10:19 AM
JMU has actually won 20 consecutive CAA games when you go back to the final two games of the 2015 regular season. Delaware and Villanova.

I'd forgotten we didn't go straight into the playoffs after the W&M game in '15.

JMU needs to clarify their game notes; that's where the 18 came from. It is 18 straight regulars season conference wins entering this weekend. We also have the two playoff wins against CAA opponents (UNH & SBU) during the current streak.

Derby City Duke
September 18th, 2018, 10:24 AM
This should be the last game of Darrious Carter's suspension (unless he still owes the 3 quarters NOT played vs. NSU). He'll be important to our defense moving forward. Would be nice to have him, but the youngsters have played well in his absence.

RootinFerDukes
September 18th, 2018, 10:39 AM
This should be the last game of Darrious Carter's suspension (unless he still owes the 3 quarters NOT played vs. NSU). He'll be important to our defense moving forward. Would be nice to have him, but the youngsters have played well in his absence.

Game Notes indicate him as 2 deep DL behind Daka. He's available beginning this week.

The NSU game counted as a 1 game suspension, regardless of the game's length. It's not his fault NSU threw in the towel.

Derby City Duke
September 18th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Game Notes indicate him as 2 deep DL behind Daka. He's available beginning this week.

The NSU game counted as a 1 game suspension, regardless of the game's length. It's not his fault NSU threw in the towel.

Saw him on the 2-deep and wondered. Thought the suspension was for 4 games? He didn't sit for the natty last January, so pardon me if I'm a bit confused...

RootinFerDukes
September 18th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Saw him on the 2-deep and wondered. Thought the suspension was for 4 games? He didn't sit for the natty last January, so pardon me if I'm a bit confused...

Coach confirmed in the press conference today that Darrious is returning saturday. Only a 3 game suspension.

KPSUL
September 18th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Where's the W&M posts? So far this reads like another JMU love-in. Is their any reason for us to think W&M has at least a puncher's chance? What has the Tribe done to recover from their 0-8 conference train wreck?

RootinFerDukes
September 18th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Where's the W&M posts? So far this reads like another JMU love-in. Is their any reason for us to think W&M has at least a puncher's chance? What has the Tribe done to recover from their 0-8 conference train wreck?

I haven't seen anything from W&M's two games to indicate the gap between JMU and WM has shrinked notably from 2017 to 2018. This W&M team may be worse than last year if you're only looking at their bucknell game each season as a benchmark.

Derby City Duke
September 18th, 2018, 02:19 PM

I just put the thread up hoping to draw some interest from the Tribe tribe...all the info in my 1st post was lifted from the game notes on the JMUsports.com site.

I also was hoping to get some Jimmye stories. The schools have played some good games over the years, especially the 2 games in 2004. They beat us at our place on a last minute/second FG. Our QB made one of his few poor decisions in his JMU career -- tried to extend the ball over the line to gain; a smart W&M defender (aren't they all brainiacs down there?) swatted it out of his hand. Tribe recovered and that led to the loss.

Fast forward to the 2004 national semifinals. Friday night in Billsburg in the rain and under the lights for the first night game in Zable stadium with an ESPN2 audience. It was a game of streaks: JMU went up 21-0, fell behind 26-21 early 3rd qtr, then ran off 27 straight points and won 48-34.

TribePride52
September 18th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Most of us tribe fans don’t use this board anymore. I think I’ve only seen one semi-consistent tribe poster since I’ve been here.

KPSUL
September 18th, 2018, 05:43 PM
I just put the thread up hoping to draw some interest from the Tribe tribe...all the info in my 1st post was lifted from the game notes on the JMUsports.com site.

I also was hoping to get some Jimmye stories. The schools have played some good games over the years, especially the 2 games in 2004. They beat us at our place on a last minute/second FG. Our QB made one of his few poor decisions in his JMU career -- tried to extend the ball over the line to gain; a smart W&M defender (aren't they all brainiacs down there?) swatted it out of his hand. Tribe recovered and that led to the loss.

Fast forward to the 2004 national semifinals. Friday night in Billsburg in the rain and under the lights for the first night game in Zable stadium with an ESPN2 audience. It was a game of streaks: JMU went up 21-0, fell behind 26-21 early 3rd qtr, then ran off 27 straight points and won 48-34.

William and Mary and Jimmye Laycock has had UNH's number for the entire Sean McDonnell era. The game we won at Zable Stadium was the first road win for UNH in this Millennium. William and Mary was always one of the toughest outs in the conference for everyone year after year until last season.

Derby City Duke
September 18th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Most of us tribe fans don’t use this board anymore. I think I’ve only seen one semi-consistent tribe poster since I’ve been here.

That's too bad because most of us thrive on intra-conference haranguing...xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2018, 09:47 PM

nada

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2018, 04:59 AM
nada

A punchers chance... maybe. The Tribe is getting better QB play this year, and has shown some glimpses of a more explosive offense with Dedmon. Problem is a young OL which has been sporadic. Need to run the ball more effectively than in the first two games. Defense had a bad day at Va Tech, but is still capable. Another extreme test for a team with only six seniors and a bright future.

hktribefan
September 19th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Hard to get a read on things so far. Our defense is pretty strong this year (they were strong last year but lots of time on the field and not many points from the offense), but that clearly didn't show against VT. You could use the Bucknell game, but we're better than the score there shows. We shot ourselves in the foot a few times and left a couple more touchdowns on the field. Having an o-line that is brand new took some time to get pulled together. I don't think anyone would pick the Tribe to win for sure, but I think it's going to be more interesting than a lot of the purple people eaters think.