PDA

View Full Version : Out of nowhere to 'nooga

gvilleapp
March 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
The 2005 national champion Appalachian State Mountaineers went from being unranked in the preseason to winning the championship.

For you old timers, any other past champion come out of left field and win like the Mountaineers in '05?

Anybody thinking there may be a team lurking out there in '07, that practically no one is looking at as a playoff contender, that may have what it takes to go all the way?

patssle
March 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'm biased, but the Bearkats have a great chance to make some noise this year. We have huge recruits (Bomar, Chris Brown) and some other very nice recruits that will make an impact this year. We were one game away from playoffs last year, I think we'll be making some bigger nosie this year...

tsutiger
March 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Tennessee State University

seantaylor
March 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
GSU

Bearkatpresident
March 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Can you justify the reasoning though for TSU and GSU?

SHSU has a top-notch qaurterback as well as some great defensive starters coming in and are in pretty good shape for our conference. I'm not gonna go as far as to say we're gonna be in contention for the national title.

But we'll certinaly see you on the road.

I keep thinking back to the last time SHSU was in the playoffs (my freshman year). If we had done just a little better, we could have had Montana play down there. We actaully played them twice that year. We stomped them during the hot sweltering Texas heat, but then lost to them at thier home turf. We lost to them in 2001 as well. I'd LOVE to see them again in '07, but god #*@& it we got to get you out of the Griz!

But I digress

seantaylor
March 22nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Because we are NC contenders every year when we don't have a giant douche coaching us.

T-Dog
March 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
The 2005 national champion Appalachian State Mountaineers went from being unranked in the preseason to winning the championship.

Yeah, it was really out of left field for the students. I remeber at Homecoming the big deal was winning and getting into the top ten. Once we saw our #2 seed for the playoffs, we actually thought "We can win this thing"......and personally after Richie got hurt, I thought we'd lose to Furman....until the final play.

Comapared that to now were some people here think we'll win it every year no matter what.

My how things have changed.

As for the topid, off the top of my head nothing really comes to mind recently. Possibly UMass in 98, especially going up against GaSo in the finals.

SU Jag
March 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Tennessee State University

Nooga wouldnt be able to hold a TSU title game!xnodx

dbackjon
March 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM

No kidding. There would be demand for 40,000 tickets.

gatadotcom
March 22nd, 2007, 07:39 PM

I don't think they have to worry about this one!

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
give us 40000 and we would have bought them last year

Grizo406
March 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
I'm starting to think Portland State.

I'd like to see UNI, SHSU, and UD do well...maybe get a play off sniff. But not a lot of things would make me happier than to see Georgia Southern get things back on track, and make a deep play off run!xnodx

GeauxColonels
March 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
I have to agree, I think that SHSU has a very good chance to make some noise this year.

YoUDeeMan
March 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
For you old timers, any other past champion come out of left field and win like the Mountaineers in '05?

Anybody thinking there may be a team lurking out there in '07, that practically no one is looking at as a playoff contender, that may have what it takes to go all the way?

You don't need to ask the old timers, unless you consider someone who was following I-AA football a year sooner than you an "old timer". xsmiley_wix

JMU came out of nowhere to win it all in 2004. They were not ranked in the preseason 25 and they were picked fourth in the Southern Division of the Atlantic 10 (which means about 7th or 8th in the whole league).

TSN preseason commnets on JMU: "PROGNOSIS:...The Dukes should stay around the .500 mark for the third straight season."

Guess that's why they actually play the games. xrolleyesx

As far as dark horses in 2007 go, I'd say look out for Delaware. Now, some would say I am just being a homer or I am crazy (that may have some validity, but is of no consequence regarding my prediction), but I've been to a couple of the spring practices and we have some serious offensive talent and speed, the D got some big time help, our D coordinator now has two seasons worth of experience working with the players, and those players have a serious chip on their shoulders.

Barring the a sickening repeat of the rash of injuries that have hit us hard the past two years, UD should definitely be in the playoffs this year. If the D comes around, we can win it all. xrotatehx

blackfordpu
March 22nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
I'm biased, but the Bearkats have a great chance to make some noise this year. We have huge recruits (Bomar, Chris Brown) and some other very nice recruits that will make an impact this year. We were one game away from playoffs last year, I think we'll be making some bigger nosie this year...

All depends on how our recievers come along. If they can catch the ball I really like our chances.

GO KATS!!!

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Appalachian State was actually ranked in the top 25 in the AGS poll, though I think it was only something like 23rd. Mr. C took a lot of crap for having ASU ranked in his top-10 at the start of the year. Over course, he took more crap for having Harvard ranked No. 1.

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM

I'd like to see UNI, SHSU, and UD do well...maybe get a play off sniff. But not a lot of things would make me happier than to see Georgia Southern get things back on track, and make a deep play off run!xnodx
I would be surprised if Portland State isn't ranked in the top 15 to start the season. I will most likely rank the Vikings in my preseason top-10.

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
All depends on how our recievers come along. If they can catch the ball I really like our chances.

GO KATS!!!
Will the Kats be better on defense in your opinion? Bomar is likely to help SHSU put a lot more points on the scoreboard, but the Kats need to show some improvement on the other side of the ball, too.

March 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
In 2004 JMU was not top 25 ranked, in 2005 ASU was ranked. Which was more of a surprise?

TheValleyRaider
March 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Colgate xeekx :p

Out of the PL, Lehigh/Lafayette might be worth a look if they can get going early, but it's really hard to say right now that any of us could really surprise beyond winning a 1st Round game. We shall see...

Nationally, would consider PSU (if they don't start ranked), Wofford, a Southland team outside of McNeese, and pick your mid-level CAA team to break out this year. xtwocentsx

As far as dark horses in 2006 go, I'd say look out for Delaware.

I'll take that bet xlolx

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Definitely JMU was a much bigger surprise. The Dukes had a lot of question marks (obviously answered) heading into the season.

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
Wofford was probably one of the last two teams left out of the playoffs last season and has most everybody back on what will be a senior-laden team. Won't be a big surprise to see the Terriers ranked in the top 15 to start the year.

blackfordpu
March 22nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Will the Kats be better on defense in your opinion? Bomar is likely to help SHSU put a lot more points on the scoreboard, but the Kats need to show some improvement on the other side of the ball, too.

The defense should be a great strength of our team this season.

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info Blackford!

T-Dog
March 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Wofford was probably one of the last two teams left out of the playoffs last season and has most everybody back on what will be a senior-laden team. Won't be a big surprise to see the Terriers ranked in the top 15 to start the year.

That's one game that I'm not taking lightly this year. They scared us this past year at KBS and now we have to go there. They held us scoreless for the final 50 minutes of that game. Kind of scary once you look back on it. There a playoff team for sure this year.

Bearkatpresident
March 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
The defense should be a great strength of our team this season.

We did get Chris Brown: a defensive back from UT. That should help us out a ton on defense, as well as a few other transfers and returning starters

YoUDeeMan
March 22nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
I'll take that bet xlolx

xlolx Thanks. Damn, I need some sleep. xnodx

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
That's one game that I'm not taking lightly this year. They scared us this past year at KBS and now we have to go there. They held us scoreless for the final 50 minutes of that game. Kind of scary once you look back on it. There a playoff team for sure this year.
On the bright side, Wofford has only beaten ASU once at Gibbs Stadium (the SoCon title game in 2003).

T-Dog
March 22nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
On the bright side, Wofford has only beaten ASU once at Gibbs Stadium (the SoCon title game in 2003).

I'm sure they haven't forgotten 49-17 in 05. :D

I have a feeling this might be an early season SoCon title game. The only other team I see possibly making a good run is Furman. Citadel I think could be a sleeper and GaSo is still recovering from the BVG disease.

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm sure they haven't forgotten 49-17 in 05. :D

I have a feeling this might be an early season SoCon title game. The only other team I see possibly making a good run is Furman. Citadel I think could be a sleeper and GaSo is still recovering from the BVG disease.
I agree only two teams and then everyone else... I dont think furman, gsu or anyone has the ability to stick with asu and wofford... we could see one of them go 8-0 and the other 7-1 in conference

slycat
March 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM

GO KATS!!!

theyll have to get past the bobcats again.
:D :D xnodx xnodx

BobbyMo
March 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Because we are NC contenders every year when we don't have a giant douche coaching us.

lol, i love it xlolx xlolx

blackfordpu
March 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
theyll have to get past the bobcats again.
:D :D xnodx xnodx

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

89Hen
March 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Definitely JMU was a much bigger surprise. The Dukes had a lot of question marks (obviously answered) heading into the season.
xnodx Some were saying it could be Mickey Matthew's last season if they didn't have a good year.

89Hen
March 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Too one dimensional for my liking.

AppGuy04
March 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM

see GSU flags

89Hen
March 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
see GSU flags
I know GSU and Wofford is no GSU.

AppGuy04
March 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

no, just pointing out than an option team CAN win the NC

I think Wofford will be top 3 in the SoCon, make the playoffs, but won't win the NC

AppGuy04
March 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

btw, GSU is no GSU anymorexlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

bobbythekidd
March 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
btw, GSU is no GSU anymorexlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Give it a bit of time.xmadx

mcveyrl
March 23rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
You don't need to ask the old timers, unless you consider someone who was following I-AA football a year sooner than you an "old timer". xsmiley_wix

JMU came out of nowhere to win it all in 2004. They were not ranked in the preseason 25 and they were picked fourth in the Southern Division of the Atlantic 10 (which means about 7th or 8th in the whole league).

TSN preseason commnets on JMU: "PROGNOSIS:...The Dukes should stay around the .500 mark for the third straight season."

Guess that's why they actually play the games. xrolleyesx

As far as dark horses in 2007 go, I'd say look out for Delaware. Now, some would say I am just being a homer or I am crazy (that may have some validity, but is of no consequence regarding my prediction), but I've been to a couple of the spring practices and we have some serious offensive talent and speed, the D got some big time help, our D coordinator now has two seasons worth of experience working with the players, and those players have a serious chip on their shoulders.

Barring the a sickening repeat of the rash of injuries that have hit us hard the past two years, UD should definitely be in the playoffs this year. If the D comes around, we can win it all. xrotatehx

I agree with this on more fronts than I care to admit. :D

As several have pointed out, JMU was a slightly bigger surprise than ASU winning, IMO.

Also, I think Delaware could sneak up on some people (as much as Delaware can do that). If Cuff is healthy, the offense is lethal. And, some transfers have helped the defense.

AppGuy04
March 23rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
Give it a bit of time.xmadx

sorry bobby, had toxsmiley_wix

mebisonII
March 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Well, no one thinks NDSU is going to win the NC this year, but here's what I think will happen:

After running through an 11-0 record but not qualifying for the playoffs the NCAA brass will invite Coach Bohl and AD Gene Taylor out for drinks as a way of congratulations on a great seaon. After a few too many shots of tequila (see thread in the Lounge for another great story about tequila) and hearing a little too much about how Taylor and Bohl have turned NDSU around, the NCAA brass will get annoyed and snidely comment, "well, if you two are so great, how about this...you wrestle the entire NCAA staff and if you win, we'll let you play in the NC game." To this, Coach Bohl sits back in his chair with a slight smirk while Taylor rips off his business suit to reveal a wrestling suit. He puts on a wrestling helmet and says "Bring it!". In the ensuing 6 minutes, Gene Taylor single-handedly ties the NCAA staff in knots while Coach Bohl brings him drinks. From the pile of bodies on the floor, someone realizes "crap, now we have to let them play". Gene Taylor still has his loafers and brown dress socks on.

Following a rather embarrassing press conference by bruised NCAA staff members, NDSU is automatically slotted into the NCAA Division I National Championship Football game to play against (____you can fill in the blank___) on the condition that Gene Taylor does not attend...he is too scary.

CID1990
March 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
In the 80's, we rarely got any respect in the preseason polls, and had to play our way into the rankings. If memory serves, the only season where we were ranked in the preseason, it was in 1992 when we had the Arkansas and Army wins, and finished the regular season at #1.

I don't really have major playoff expectations this year, but I do think we have a realistic shot at the final top 20.

appfan2008
March 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
I think JMU was much more impressive than ASU because even though we went 6-5 we still had richie coming back and we all knew how special he was

CCU97
March 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM
ok....and yes this is purely a homer vote...but Coastal will surprise a few people this year....we have a great class coming in and proven players on offense and defense returning...the only question will be QB and I really think we will be close to if not at the same level on ofense as last year and more speed on the D this year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
CCU97 - I wish Coastal the best, but I can't wait till you guys come up to Harrisonburg! Man, if the players want some revenge half as much as I do to avenge the loss in 2005, it could be a long day. After facing UNC and UNH, I think we'll be ready for the Chanticleers. No looking past you this year! xnodx

QB and LB are the two positions with the biggest ?'s, but we have plenty of talent, the ? will simply be who and how well do they play compared past Buck Buchannon and Walter Payton Award type players.

Our QB, Rodney Landers, is a true athlete, plays much in the same vein as App St's QB. We just don't know what kind of accuracy he has yet, or his decision making skills on the field against fresh 1st teamers. I'm skeptical - but the kid has speed and a strong arm. Just need to work on that aim a bit!

I think Maine could surprise some people this year. xeekx xthumbsupx

BeauFoster
March 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
....while Taylor rips off his business suit to reveal a wrestling suit. He puts on a wrestling helmet and says "Bring it!"....

What the heck is a wrestling helmet???

xsmiley_wix j/k

mebisonII
March 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
What the heck is a wrestling helmet???

xsmiley_wix j/k

yeah, I thought someone would call me on that. I have no idea what you actually call that thing xconfusedx

appfan2008
March 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
App wont be a surprise but they should be a team to beat :)

BeauFoster
March 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM
yeah, I thought someone would call me on that. I have no idea what you actually call that thing xconfusedx

No worries! I have always called it the ear-protector-thingie.

(thingie is a technical term, you don't need to concern yourself with thatxthumbsupx )

SoCon48
March 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM

Headgear or Earguards depending on the configuration.

lizrdgizrd
March 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Dorky looking. xcoffeex

CID1990
March 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
ok....and yes this is purely a homer vote...but Coastal will surprise a few people this year....we have a great class coming in and proven players on offense and defense returning...the only question will be QB and I really think we will be close to if not at the same level on ofense as last year and more speed on the D this year.

I think the fact that everyone knows who CCU and CSU are now will be an additional factor. There won't be any sneaking up on teams now, so stand by for what might be a slower rate of improvement than what you guys are accustomed to.

Mountaineer
March 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Will chip in a vote for Northern Iowa. xthumbsupx

I think missing the playoffs last year is going to have the Panthers fired up to tear through the Gateway. xnodx

CCU97
March 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
I think the fact that everyone knows who CCU and CSU are now will be an additional factor. There won't be any sneaking up on teams now, so stand by for what might be a slower rate of improvement than what you guys are accustomed to.

CSU who is that? Colorado State? You can't be talking about that team that other team in Charleston that plays at a rec league field....

And that is ok...if the rate is slower....we'll take making it past the first round of the playoffs this year.....xsmiley_wix

gvilleapp
March 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
In 2004 JMU was not top 25 ranked, in 2005 ASU was ranked. Which was more of a surprise?
I didn't remember that we were ranked. I should have because despite going 6-5 in '04 we had a very good team on the offensive side of the ball. Lots of youngsters had to play on defense in '04 and we took our lumps but it sure paid of over the next two years.

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM

May I PLEASE ask why????

gvilleapp
March 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Mr. C, what do you think of my son's Citadel Bulldogs chances for making a run into the playoffs and possibly to Chatty? Optimism is flowing down in Charleston with go reason I believe. Lots of returning starters coming back and a really great coaching staff about to hit their stride. I think the Bulldogs have the best chance to be a surprise team on the national scene out of the SoCon.

ucdtim17
March 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Any threads like this should come with a caveat that you can't post your own team.

JohnStOnge
March 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM

The thing that made GSU national championship contenders most years during its I-AA history is gone.

JohnStOnge
March 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'd have to do some research to identify all such situations but I think their were probably a few. One that comes immediately to mind as a possibility is UMass in 1998.

Grizo406
March 23rd, 2007, 11:13 PM
May I PLEASE ask why????

Sure you can.

For the most part, its my opinion...something that's very near, and dear to me. Beyond that, I think Portland State is a lot better team than they are given credit for, and they always seem to play the Griz very well.

With Glanville coming in as HC, and Mouse Davis as OC, I think they are going to make a lot of noise, and therein lies the reason I picked PSU.

LarryBoy
March 24th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I agree only two teams and then everyone else... I dont think furman, gsu or anyone has the ability to stick with asu and wofford... we could see one of them go 8-0 and the other 7-1 in conference

Furman isn't losing to Wofford this year. Trust me.

Anyone thinking that Furman will be worse than last year will probably be in for a surprise. We're deeper at just about every position (other than O-Line), faster at WR, and Jerome Felton Jr. (Tharry Salley) is eligible this year.

Speaking of the actual thread topic (not that anyone is interested), Furman was unranked before the '88 NC season, and was picked to finish in the middle or bottom of the SoCon. Our only conference loss that year was Marshall, and we avenged that one in the playoffs.

Saint3333
March 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Will chip in a vote for Northern Iowa. xthumbsupx

I think missing the playoffs last year is going to have the Panthers fired up to tear through the Gateway. xnodx

I agree, Sanders is a special kid and he's not going away quietly.

SoCalAggie
March 24th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I'll throw UC Davis into the mix this year only because this is our first year of being eligible to make the playoffs.
Are there any other teams that will be eligible for the first time this year???

ucdtim17
March 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
UNC

appfan2008
March 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM
do ndsu and sdsu have another year before eligibility begins?

ucdtim17
March 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Yes they're a year behind

89Hen
March 25th, 2007, 10:09 AM
UNC
xeyebrowx

ucdtim17
March 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM
xeyebrowx

They are the other school that will be playoff-eligible next year. That is NOT a prediction of a team headed to Chattanooga

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think that uni is going to be quite a team next year

Peems
March 25th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I think that uni is going to be quite a team next year

I bet UNI is ranked in the preseason

Cocky
March 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I don't think they have to worry about this one!
If their QB gets on a roll they could beat anyone. Plus I would be surprised to see them ranked somewhere in the 20's.

Tod
March 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Sure you can.

For the most part, its my opinion...something that's very near, and dear to me. Beyond that, I think Portland State is a lot better team than they are given credit for, and they always seem to play the Griz very well.

With Glanville coming in as HC, and Mouse Davis as OC, I think they are going to make a lot of noise, and therein lies the reason I picked PSU.

I agree. PSU was 90-68 under coach Walsh, and had winning records in eight of the last nine seasons. They missed the playoffs last year because they scheduled themselves out, IMO.

But, they only return 12 starters, and lost seven on D. Lost their kicker and punter.

We'll see what coaches Glanville and Davis can do. I like their chances, and believe they should be ranked in the pre-season poll.

Mr. C
March 26th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Mr. C, what do you think of my son's Citadel Bulldogs chances for making a run into the playoffs and possibly to Chatty? Optimism is flowing down in Charleston with go reason I believe. Lots of returning starters coming back and a really great coaching staff about to hit their stride. I think the Bulldogs have the best chance to be a surprise team on the national scene out of the SoCon.
I think that The Citadel has a chance to challenge for a top-three finish in the SoCon. I think the non-conference schedule and the tough SoCon slate (this will probably be the best conference race from second through seventh in years) will make it tough for the Bulldogs to make the playoffs. The Citadel has a great coaching staff and some good experience, including one of the best QBs in the league in Duran Lawson. I was at one of The Citadel's scrimmages a few weeks ago and the Bulldogs looked good. They will be very improved on defense.

Mr. C
March 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I guess you've forgotten how good Wofford was in 2003? This will be the best Terrier team since then. They were one-dimensional all the way to the semifinals and gave Delaware its toughest playoff test.

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 07:42 AM
They are the other school that will be playoff-eligible next year. That is NOT a prediction of a team headed to Chattanooga
Sorry. I was starting to wonder about you Tim. ;)

89Hen
March 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I guess you've forgotten how good Wofford was in 2003? This will be the best Terrier team since then. They were one-dimensional all the way to the semifinals and gave Delaware its toughest playoff test.
No, I haven't forgotten, but 2003 was also the worst I've ever seen the SoCon look in my lifetime and I'm sure you must have seen that game against UD... WC did nothing against the Hens. IMO, WC was not a top 5 team in 2003.

appfan2008
March 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I think that The Citadel has a chance to challenge for a top-three finish in the SoCon. I think the non-conference schedule and the tough SoCon slate (this will probably be the best conference race from second through seventh in years) will make it tough for the Bulldogs to make the playoffs. The Citadel has a great coaching staff and some good experience, including one of the best QBs in the league in Duran Lawson. I was at one of The Citadel's scrimmages a few weeks ago and the Bulldogs looked good. They will be very improved on defense.
I agree citadel is not a top playoff contender

Mr. C
March 27th, 2007, 01:39 AM
No, I haven't forgotten, but 2003 was also the worst I've ever seen the SoCon look in my lifetime and I'm sure you must have seen that game against UD... WC did nothing against the Hens. IMO, WC was not a top 5 team in 2003.
They proved on the field they were a top-five team. Whether the SoCon was down, or not, Wofford was a legitimate semifinalist. The Terriers beat the defending national champion, Western Kentucky in the quarterfinals and came closer to Delaware than anyone else in the playoffs (Delaware didn't exactly light it up offensively that day). Now, that being said, I think Western Illinois was probably the second best team in the country (they were upset in a blizzard at Colgate) and would have given Delaware a tougher game in the championship than anyone else. No. 1 seed McNeese State got upset in the first round of the playoffs by Northern Arizona. UMass was also a first-round victim, after playing such a tough regular-season game with Delaware. There were some weird matchups that year (like two of the worst teams in the field, Florida Atlantic and Bethune-Cookman, playing each other in the first round). You also had a pair of 7-4 teams, Appalachian State and Stephen F. Austin, who were playing as well as almost anyone in the country. Either of those teams could have made a semifinal-type run, if they had gotten in. I definitely didn't think Colgate, even with its undefeated record before facing Delaware, was the second best team. It was a weird year, but one thing for sure was that Delaware was the best team. Nobody was going to stop the Blue Hens.

89Hen
March 27th, 2007, 09:01 AM
and came closer to Delaware than anyone else in the playoffs (Delaware didn't exactly light it up offensively that day).
They didn't light it up offensively, but you have to remember that the lopsided games against SIU and UNI were largely due to when the Hens were on D and special teams (SIU and UNI killed themselves and the Hen D and O made them pay). Even though the score was closer in the WC game, I never came close to feeling WC ever had a shot.

SIU - SIX turnovers (including a fumbled KO and a blocked punt for a TD in the first Q)
UNI - ANOTHER fumbled KO and blocked punt in the first Q, it was like deja vu all over again

Both of those games were over after one Q... UD 27 - SIU 0 and UD 17 - UNI 0.

In the WC game, the Hens were the ones self-destructing and because of the offense WC runs, the Hens only had the ball eight times (14 possessions against SIU and 15 vs UNI). UD first half possessions...

UD - 35 yards gained, 1st and goal on the 8 settle for a FG.
UD - 49 yards gained, 1st down on WC 22, INT.
UD - 66 yards gained, 1st down on WC 19, missed FG

Point being, UD looked like SIU and UNI did the previous weeks and were still tied 3-3 at the half. WC had 121 yards of TOTAL offense (7 first downs) prior to the final drive in which UD went into a complete prevent D. WC was a good team, just not top 5 IMO.