PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown

Model Citizen
September 17th, 2018, 10:14 AM
On Hoyasaxa.com (http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm), DFW HOYA wrote, "As Ivy league opponents begin to withdraw from Georgetown's future non-conference schedules, games like this are why."

What opponents? For what years?

Go Green
September 17th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Lack of seats at Cooper Field for Ivy alums in Washington doesn't help either.

Some Columbia guys are unhappy that they can't get tickets for Saturday's game.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2018, 10:38 AM
RFK, problem solved. Honestly I don't know why G'Town doesn't do that more often. DFW will probably tell us... :)

Model Citizen
September 17th, 2018, 12:59 PM
So has it actually happened?

Fake news?

downbythebeach
September 17th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I remember going to a GU game in 2004 with family members and we confused the football stadium for the practice field. Then at half time we heard about the new state of the art field they were building the next year.

CHIP72
September 17th, 2018, 03:52 PM
RFK, problem solved. Honestly I don't know why G'Town doesn't do that more often. DFW will probably tell us... :)

1) RFK Stadium would be way, way too big.
2) RFK Stadium will probably be torn down within the next 5 years.

A better bet for Georgetown would be to play its games at Howard (which is in a different part of town than Georgetown but isn't radically far away) or possibly a nearby high school in DC or maybe Arlington (particularly in or near Rosslyn) that has a nice stadium and larger seating capacity than Multi-Sport Field.

CHIP72
September 17th, 2018, 03:58 PM
On Hoyasaxa.com (http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm), DFW HOYA wrote, "As Ivy league opponents begin to withdraw from Georgetown's future non-conference schedules, games like this are why."

What opponents? For what years?

He must be referring to Georgetown's 41-0 loss to Dartmouth. I'm guessing the Hoyas were not competitive in that game, and the lack of competitiveness may turn off some Ivy League programs.

maristdb89
September 17th, 2018, 03:58 PM
RFK is too big and falling down. New Audi soccer field would be a decent choice. Current stadium is worse than most high schools.

CHIP72
September 17th, 2018, 03:59 PM
RFK is too big and falling down. New Audi soccer field would be a decent choice. Current stadium is worse than most high schools.

I somehow forgot about Audi Field; that would be a reasonably good option, though it is still probably too big. (The new MLS stadium has a capacity of about 20,000 people.)

Go Green
September 17th, 2018, 04:06 PM
He must be referring to Georgetown's 41-0 loss to Dartmouth. I'm guessing the Hoyas were not competitive in that game, and the lack of competitiveness may turn off some Ivy League programs.

Georgetown had four turnovers and three first downs this past Saturday.

Herder
September 17th, 2018, 04:12 PM

That's a pretty ironic statement about the Ivy League competing. The Ivy League competes . . . "On their own terms, by their own definition, and with Leagues of their limited choosing". So if that's competing, I guess they compete.

PAllen
September 17th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Nothing in Rosslyn. Closest thing is Washington & Lee and that's not much better. Closest improvement is a HS field a few blocks from Howard. The only real solution is to follow through on your promises and build something that at least looks like a small time college field.

Model Citizen
September 17th, 2018, 05:03 PM

Right. No "begin to withdraw" happening here. Just one person's hand wringing.

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2018, 06:05 PM

No way. Princeton schedules Butler. Harvard plays San Diego. Columbia plays NECs.

Think the only Ivy's that challenge themselves are Dartmouth, Cornell, Penn... Yale maybe.

No idea what Brown does though the Cal Poly game was a good move.

crusader11
September 17th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Will Georgetown field a football team in ten years?

PAllen
September 17th, 2018, 06:34 PM

I'd give it less than 50% odds.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2018, 08:10 PM

I think there's a decent chance Bucknell and Georgetown both drop football within the next decade. The Bucknell program is a mess right now too.

bonarae
September 17th, 2018, 08:14 PM

They'll probably do a Presbyterian ... in dropping down to the PFL.

How about VMI? xchinscratchx They have performed at the same level as Georgetown has had.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to Brian White...

1. The reference to withdrawal on the schedule is a function of future schedules. Georgetown had three Ivy opponents each year in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. In 2019, just two (Cornell, Columbia). In 2020 and 2021, just one (Columbia) per the published future schedules Columbia rolls off in 2022. Ivy teams are stretching their future schedules to 2023 past the patriot League and they don't, for now, include Georgetown.

2. There are no seats remaining for the Columbia game. Nor too, the Lehigh game on Oct. 20. Sold out...sort of. Seating was cut in half when Georgetown tore down its home stands in the off season in anticipation of construction starting this summer on the 15-year long construction project. Didn't happen. Maybe next year.

3. RFK Stadium is a puzzler. There are no tenants and the city spends $2 million a year on upkeep (mostly security, since the stadium is approaching a safety hazard) but there is a lease until 2038 so it stays up. Maybe Georgetown lost money moving the Harvard game there, I don't know, but there was three times the excitement than usual home game, until the game started. There just aren't a lot of stadium options in the area and as long as the PL leadership is comfortable seeing its games in Division I's smallest college stadium, things don't change.

4. Georgetown has its share of problems, it always has. It also has potential that absolutely no other PL school can touch if it is tapped, harnessed, and brought to the forefront. There were people that counted Georgetown out in 1992 and 2001 and 2009. It's still here, like the university it stands with. Either way, more work to be done. If that's in the Patriot League, great. If it's as an independent, well, it still beats going 1-10 every year.

Sader87
September 17th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Georgetown won't have football in 3-5 years imo. It just doesn't work there for a multitude of reasons.

Go...gate
September 18th, 2018, 12:10 AM

1. The reference to withdrawal on the schedule is a function of future schedules. Georgetown had three Ivy opponents each year in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018. In 2019, just two (Cornell, Columbia). In 2020 and 2021, just one (Columbia) per the published future schedules Columbia rolls off in 2022. Ivy teams are stretching their future schedules to 2023 past the patriot League and they don't, for now, include Georgetown.

2. There are no seats remaining for the Columbia game. Nor too, the Lehigh game on Oct. 20. Sold out...sort of. Seating was cut in half when Georgetown tore down its home stands in the off season in anticipation of construction starting this summer on the 15-year long construction project. Didn't happen. Maybe next year.

3. RFK Stadium is a puzzler. There are no tenants and the city spends $2 million a year on upkeep (mostly security, since the stadium is approaching a safety hazard) but there is a lease until 2038 so it stays up. Maybe Georgetown lost money moving the Harvard game there, I don't know, but there was three times the excitement than usual home game, until the game started. There just aren't a lot of stadium options in the area and as long as the PL leadership is comfortable seeing its games in Division I's smallest college stadium, things don't change.

4. Georgetown has its share of problems, it always has. It also has potential that absolutely no other PL school can touch if it is tapped, harnessed, and brought to the forefront. There were people that counted Georgetown out in 1992 and 2001 and 2009. It's still here, like the university it stands with. Either way, more work to be done. If that's in the Patriot League, great. If it's as an independent, well, it still beats going 1-10 every year.

I agree. I don't see them dropping FB.

Go Green
September 18th, 2018, 05:25 AM
Georgetown won't have football in 3-5 years imo. It just doesn't work there for a multitude of reasons.

If Georgetown would just build a halfway decent stadium, half of its problems would be solved.

Go Green
September 18th, 2018, 05:30 AM

If you meant Brevin White, he will play eventually. Dartmouth's QB transfer from Florida is currently #4 on the depth chart as well.

Otherwise... I'm not sure to whom you are referring?

Go Green
September 18th, 2018, 07:19 AM
No way. Princeton schedules Butler. Harvard plays San Diego. Columbia plays NECs.

Think the only Ivy's that challenge themselves are Dartmouth, Cornell, Penn... Yale maybe.

Yale has some tough ones on the books coming up.

Dartmouth has a good mix of tough ones and cupcakes. To a lesser extent, so does Princeton.

Penn has not released its future schedules, as far as I know. Would be great if they play Villanova again.

Cornell and Brown probably should be scheduling cupcakes.

Unless you count URI, neither Columbia or Harvard are doing anything impressive with the scheduling.

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2018, 07:32 AM
If you meant Brevin White, he will play eventually. Dartmouth's QB transfer from Florida is currently #4 on the depth chart as well. Otherwise... I'm not sure to whom you are referring?

Brian White was the offensive coordinator at Wisconsin who was a candidate for the head coaching job at Georgetown when Bob Benson (now DC at Penn) left in 2005. There was an article which suggested he was likely to get the job, and then Georgetown opted to hire Kevin Kelly instead, then the LB coach at Navy. White never became a head coach and is now the receivers coach at BC.

https://bceagles.com/staff.aspx?staff=154

Go Green
September 18th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Brian White was the offensive coordinator at Wisconsin who was a candidate for the head coaching job at Georgetown when Bob Benson (now DC at Penn) left in 2005. There was an article which suggested he was likely to get the job, and then Georgetown opted to hire Kevin Kelly instead, then the LB coach at Navy. White never became a head coach and is now the receivers coach at BC.

https://bceagles.com/staff.aspx?staff=154

Gotcha! Thanks!

CHIP72
September 18th, 2018, 11:02 AM
I didn’t realize the home side seating at Multi-Sport...sorry, Cooper Field was removed. The visiting (east) side stands actually probably have a shade more capacity than the nicer but slightly smaller home side stands* did, but removing the west stands still probably cut capacity nearly in half. With that being the case, I’m glad I had already decided to pass on attending the Saturday 10/20 Lehigh/Georgetown game. (I plan to attend an NHL Devils/Flyers game, an NBA Magic/76ers game, and if the schedule permits, the Cincinnati/Temple game in Philadelphia that day.)

*Even though I’ve always rooted for the visiting team (Lehigh or Lafayette) whenever I’ve attended a game at Cooper Field, I always preferred to sit on the home/west side if possible, partly because the seats were nicer (structured plastic seats with backs), and partly because of the sun (which gets in your eyes on the visitors’ side for mid-afternoon games).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk