PDA

View Full Version : SHSU @ Nicholls 9/22

Daytripper
September 16th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Two teams coming off tough, disappointing losses. Will be interesting to see which one bounces back the best.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Two teams coming off tough, disappointing losses. Will be interesting to see which one bounces back the best.
Huge game, maybe a season defining type of game.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Huge game, maybe a season defining type of game.

Yep. A loss for Sam gives us one loss in conference. A loss for Nicholls would give them two. That would probably take them out of the auto bid race. They would really have to work for an at-large. Though, that Kansas win is looking better every week. Sam could lose and still have chance at the auto bid, but we don't play McNeese this season because of the f###ed up Southland scheduling.

Wildcat1997
September 16th, 2018, 02:34 PM
This is a tough game to predict and I could see it going both ways. Both teams are coming off of close losses to good teams and whichever one can bounce back will win it. With that said I think it'll be Nicholls by 1 score. Should be a great game!

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Yep, big game both ways as the loser will be in a world of hurt for it still being just September. This is Nicholls last game against a SLC "contender" since they don't play UCA. They've got that Kansas win in their back pocket though that will loom large on selection day if they're on the bubble but if they lose this one I'd guess they'd have to win out to get to 8-3 just to get on that bubble. Sam would still have some breathing room with a loss but it would make their game next week against a UCA a must win wince they don't play McNeese meaning these next two games are pivotal towards Sam getting a signature win or two (and for perhaps getting into the driver's seat for the SLC autobid).

katss07
September 16th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately won’t be able to attend this one. ESPN+ will be ready to go by Saturday though. Really looking forward to what is definitely Sam’s biggest game of the year.

This is a must win for the Colonels and a big game no doubt for Sam. Luckily UND is a non conference team, so its a clean sheet for Sam. The defense looked better yesterday, especially the DBs. They are playing well and deserve plenty of credit. The O has been fine but the QB situation isn’t bright. Dare needs to get his act together. I’m looking for that to happen this weekend. Just put the ball in the Davis’ or Stewart’s hands! They’ll do the rest.

Nicholls isn’t so lucky, 0-1 in conference play and with no UCA on the schedule a loss would bury them. At large wouldn’t be out of the question but this is their biggest game to make an impression. 10 points on McNeese last game. I hope SHSU can handle the duel threat ability of Fourcade as the Cowboys did (he was outplayed by Tabary). If they limit him Kats should be ok.

Next two games for Sam have serious SLC implications. While I do think this is a three bid conference lets get that title and AQ! Next two games are biggest of the year. Best of luck Nicholls fans but on Saturday, EAT EM UP KATS!

Katfan
September 16th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately won’t be able to attend this one. ESPN+ will be ready to go by Saturday though. Really looking forward to what is definitely Sam’s biggest game of the year.

This is a must win for the Colonels and a big game no doubt for Sam. Luckily UND is a non conference team, so its a clean sheet for Sam. The defense looked better yesterday, especially the DBs. They are playing well and deserve plenty of credit. The O has been fine but the QB situation isn’t bright. Dare needs to get his act together. I’m looking for that to happen this weekend. Just put the ball in the Davis’ or Stewart’s hands! They’ll do the rest.

Nicholls isn’t so lucky, 0-1 in conference play and with no UCA on the schedule a loss would bury them. At large wouldn’t be out of the question but this is their biggest game to make an impression. 10 points on McNeese last game. I hope SHSU can handle the duel threat ability of Fourcade as the Cowboys did (he was outplayed by Tabary). If they limit him Kats should be ok.

Next two games for Sam have serious SLC implications. While I do think this is a three bid conference lets get that title and AQ! Next two games are biggest of the year. Best of luck Nicholls fans but on Saturday, EAT EM UP KATS!
The o has been fine? Couple of points to consider on the play calling. Davis, one of the best if not the best offensive player in the SLC gets his first target with 3 minutes left in the half. Much success running counter plays, yet when he need to run we go with a straight dive on multiple occasions in the game. We make a great special teams play to block the punt and we take a sack on first down. They are blitzing on every play and playing 10 yards off our receivers and we don’t drop the ball off to slot receivers? I don’t know this may have been the worst game I’ve ever seen an offensive coordinator have. Then the D coordinator has to call some scheme with the game on the line on fourth down where we put no pressure on the qb and have defenders in the back of the end zone. **** that’s not how you play the game to win. This was the most pathetically coached game I’ve ever witnessed. By the way I don’t think a spread offense will ever be able to compete for championships. We have the fastest qb in fcs on the bench. Man would I like to see a zone read play a few times with him in!

Daytripper
September 16th, 2018, 08:19 PM
The o has been fine? Couple of points to consider on the play calling. Davis, one of the best if not the best offensive player in the SLC gets his first target with 3 minutes left in the half. Much success running counter plays, yet when he need to run we go with a straight dive on multiple occasions in the game. We make a great special teams play to block the punt and we take a sack on first down. They are blitzing on every play and playing 10 yards off our receivers and we don’t drop the ball off to slot receivers? I don’t know this may have been the worst game I’ve ever seen an offensive coordinator have. Then the D coordinator has to call some scheme with the game on the line on fourth down where we put no pressure on the qb and have defenders in the back of the end zone. **** that’s not how you play the game to win. This was the most pathetically coached game I’ve ever witnessed. By the way I don’t think a spread offense will ever be able to compete for championships. We have the fastest qb in fcs on the bench. Man would I like to see a zone read play a few times with him in!

https://media1.giphy.com/media/vgUFOWBwBkziE/giphy.gif

katss07
September 16th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Never said the play calling has been good...Dare takes stupid sacks can’t put that all on the O line...Dare needs to put it in the hands of Davis and Stewart best two wide outs in the conference...Kind of the point I was making Dare needs to let WRs do it.

I’m not against Schmid getting time.

Katfan
September 16th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Never said the play calling has been good...Dare takes stupid sacks can’t put that all on the O line...Dare needs to put it in the hands of Davis and Stewart best two wide outs in the conference...Kind of the point I was making Dare needs to let WRs do it.

I’m not against Schmid getting time.
I agree. Davis didn’t touch the ball until 3 minutes left in 1st half. Then whe he did he was electric and almost no quick hitches or slants. To me that’s not on Dare it’s on the oc. I also think we need to see some multi back sets.

F'N Hawks
September 16th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I was really wondering why they didn't keep doing the short stuff and getting YAC. Slants would have beat our corners many times. Or short hitch routes and then try to make the corner miss. I thought Dare threw too many long balls where your WR's are really utilizing their best assets.

McNeese75
September 17th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Tough game to call. I have not seen the Kats play but I would say the key to them winning is to hit Fourcade and keep those receivers locked down so he has to throw before he is ready (seemed to be the case in their last two games and I think that is what SHSU did last year). Of course you also have to contain him as the boy can scoot. A clock controlling offense would be a good thing as well.

worrierking
September 17th, 2018, 03:17 PM
I will be very interested in this one. I felt like Nicholls missed some opportunities against us (McNeese) and that the teams were pretty evenly matched, but the pokes executed better. The Nicholls front seven is very good, Jean-Pierre and Fourcade are really good too.

I don't have a read on the Bearkats yet. This game will show a lot.

Daytripper
September 17th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I will be very interested in this one. I felt like Nicholls missed some opportunities against us (McNeese) and that the teams were pretty evenly matched, but the pokes executed better. The Nicholls front seven is very good, Jean-Pierre and Fourcade are really good too.

I don't have a read on the Bearkats yet. This game will show a lot.

Agree. Sam is definitely a work in progress. By the way, great username.

McCowboys
September 18th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Agree. Sam is definitely a work in progress. By the way, great username.

I was wondering what Keeler's record at SHSU is in Thibodaux? That is a tough place to play with all that Voodoo. The McNeese defense kept pressure on Fourcade, kept him uncomfortable, and contained him for most of the game, and prevented Jeanpiere from breaking away with sure tackling. Tabary and the offense took what was there and didn't force anything. McNeese's scoring early against them seemed to be a knock in the teeth for them.

Sam's defense actually seemed to have played better against UND, even in the loss, and will need to do the same against the Colonels.

katss07
September 18th, 2018, 06:59 AM
I was wondering what Keeler's record at SHSU is in Thibodaux? That is a tough place to play with all that Voodoo. The McNeese defense kept pressure on Fourcade, kept him uncomfortable, and contained him for most of the game, and prevented Jeanpiere from breaking away with sure tackling. Tabary and the offense took what was there and didn't force anything. McNeese's scoring early against them seemed to be a knock in the teeth for them.

Sam's defense actually seemed to have played better against UND, even in the loss, and will need to do the same against the Colonels.
I think KCK is undefeated in his time at SHSU against Nicholls. Before these last two seasons they were the joke of the conference so unless I’m forgetting something I don’t think he’s lost.

Sammy94
September 18th, 2018, 08:30 AM
I think KCK is undefeated in his time at SHSU against Nicholls. Before these last two seasons they were the joke of the conference so unless I’m forgetting something I don’t think he’s lost.

Correct, the last time we lost to Nicholls was in 2005 and it was in Thibodaux.

McCowboys
September 18th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Maybe because it is an in-state rivalry, but Nicholls -- though they may not beat us often and have had some tough years -- always gives McNeese a tough go.