PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 2 2018

bonarae
September 15th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I have only gotten worse at prognosticating IL week 1... hope I will do better next time...

Here are the games:

Harvard at Brown
Dartmouth at Holy Cross
Columbia at Georgetown
Yale at Cornell
Lehigh at Penn
Monmouth at Princeton

Go Green
September 16th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Harvard, Columbia, and Penn should have easy times.

I expect Dartmouth to do fine against Holy Cross.

Something seemed wrong with Yale. They should win but I'm not confident about it.

Princeton's offense should be enough to beat Monmouth.

Ivytalk
September 16th, 2018, 07:23 AM
I have only gotten worse at prognosticating IL week 1... hope I will do better next time...

Here are the games:

Harvard at Brown
Dartmouth at Holy Cross
Columbia at Georgetown
Yale at Cornell
Lehigh at Penn
Monmouth at Princeton
I agree with these picks. I don’t think lightning can strike twice at Fitton.

bulldog10jw
September 16th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Here are the games:

Harvard at Brown
Dartmouth at Holy Cross
Columbia at Georgetown
Yale at Cornell
Lehigh at Penn
Monmouth at Princeton

I agree.

crusader11
September 16th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I expect Dartmouth to do fine against Holy Cross.

HC just beat the Ivy League favorite and Dartmouth has to travel to Worcester for this one. Don’t know why you’d say Dartmouth will “do fine”.

Go Green
September 16th, 2018, 01:56 PM
HC just beat the Ivy League favorite and Dartmouth has to travel to Worcester for this one. Don’t know why you’d say Dartmouth will “do fine”.

Check out some of these rankings:

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

crusader11
September 16th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Check out some of these rankings:

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Because beating up on Georgetown is so meaningful. Next.

Go Green
September 16th, 2018, 02:50 PM

While everyone predicted a Dartmouth victory last week, quite a few of your PL brethren thought the Hoyas would keep it reasonably close.

Instead, it was one of the most dominant (at least statistically)beatdowns in Dartmouth history.

van
September 16th, 2018, 04:29 PM
While everyone predicted a Dartmouth victory last week, quite a few of your PL brethren thought the Hoyas would keep it reasonably close.

Not!

World
September 18th, 2018, 02:23 PM

Here are the games:

Harvard at Brown
Dartmouth at Holy Cross
Columbia at Georgetown
Yale at Cornell
Lehigh at Penn
Monmouth at Princeton

Agree

RichH2
September 18th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Well well. What a shock?. A sweep for the Ivies. Possible but I dont think so.

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Groupthink. It’s why the Ivies run the world. Try it sometime!xnodx

Go Green
September 19th, 2018, 07:43 AM

It helps our case for a sweep that Brown isn't playing a PL team this week.

:)

Go Green
September 20th, 2018, 11:30 AM
If a poster (who has been right in the past) on the Ivy Board is to be believed, there is a lot of internal strife at Yale this season

That they blew a big lead against HC and lost made things worse.

If he's correct, don't be shocked by a stunner in Ithaca.

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2018, 12:45 PM
If a poster (who has been right in the past) on the Ivy Board is to be believed, there is a lot of internal strife at Yale this season

That they blew a big lead against HC and lost made things worse.

If he's correct, don't be shocked by a stunner in Ithaca.

Can I be shocked?

The poster may be correct, but knowing about Mullen is different than speculating about internal strife when he has an obvious hatred, for whatever reason, for Reno.

We'll see.

Go Green
September 20th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Can I be shocked?

The poster may be correct, but knowing about Mullen is different than speculating about internal strife when he has an obvious hatred, for whatever reason, for Reno.

We'll see.

The guess here is that the poster in question is a parent of a player. It happens every couple of years...

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2018, 01:11 PM
The guess here is that the poster in question is a parent of a player. It happens every couple of years...

I agree. Obviously a parent, and not a happy one, to have inside info. We are getting his son's point of view, who, I would guess is not starting.

But if I remember correctly, the same things were said last year in the preseason.

I will say this. I do not like this quote from Reno in the YDN.

“I felt from day one that we needed to get punched in the face,” head coach Tony Reno said. “I wanted us to get punched, we did, and to be honest, I’m pretty happy we did … when you go in with a young team coming off a championship season, you’re hoping that you get humbled a little bit. We did.”

Made me wonder.

Go Green
September 20th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I agree. Obviously a parent, and not a happy one, to have inside info. We are getting his son's point of view, who, I would guess is not starting.

But if I remember correctly, the same things were said last year in the preseason.

I will say this. I do not like this quote from Reno in the YDN.

“I felt from day one that we needed to get punched in the face,” head coach Tony Reno said. “I wanted us to get punched, we did, and to be honest, I’m pretty happy we did … when you go in with a young team coming off a championship season, you’re hoping that you get humbled a little bit. We did.”

Made me wonder.

I get where Reno is coming from. I think Dartmouth got fat-headed in 2016 coming off a championship and beating UNH in the opener. We got complacent and lost too many that we should have won that year.

As for the parent-poster, it's anyone's guess what the motivations are. But from the perspective of a fan, that kind of stuff is manna from heaven. Especially when it's about another team! I hope he keeps at it!

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2018, 01:47 PM
As for the parent-poster, it's anyone's guess what the motivations are. But from the perspective of a fan, that kind of stuff is manna from heaven. Especially when it's about another team! I hope he keeps at it!

How much we hear from him will have a direct correlation to Yale's wins and losses. Wins = silence. Losses = I told you so.

RichH2
September 20th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Well here goes.
Harvard
Holy Cross I really dont know which Crusader team will show up. Dont think we know what this team is. Pure homer pick
Columbia I do know the Hoya team that will be there.
Yale Some year Cornell will have a team. Just not this year.
Lehigh I should note I have a lifetime intense dislike of Penn. Neither of these teams are what they were last year. A factor that weighs in Lehigh's favor with some ifs. Our problem so far has been injuries. We are without our 3 top OTs from last year and our starting C. Third game for this patchwork OL. Confidently hopeful they have finally gotten their act together. We'll see. We get back our All American RB and top WR for this game. Our D is actually not bad( not great either). A marked improvement over last year.

Princeton Monmouth will not be a cupcake but Tigers very talented albeit with a tendency to underperform.

Go Green
September 20th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Turns out that Penn had at least one key injury last week and another key player apparently did not go out for the team this season.

Quakers may not be as formidable as feared...

Son of Eli
September 20th, 2018, 06:43 PM
I get where Reno is coming from. I think Dartmouth got fat-headed in 2016 coming off a championship and beating UNH in the opener. We got complacent and lost too many that we should have won that year.

I also don’t have a problem with that quote from Reno. It’s possible for a team to be too loose. That was my impression of the team this past Saturday. A little more grit that comes from having a chip on your shoulder could do the team some good. I hope we see that this Saturday.

bulldog10jw
September 20th, 2018, 06:54 PM
I also don’t have a problem with that quote from Reno. It’s possible for a team to be too loose. That was my impression of the team this past Saturday. A little more grit that comes from having a chip on your shoulder could do the team some good. I hope we see that this Saturday.

In retrospect, the 3 quick TD's were probably not the best thing that could have happened.

Son of Eli
September 20th, 2018, 06:59 PM
In retrospect, the 3 quick TD's were probably not the best thing that could have happened.

Ironic, but true.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2018, 11:46 PM
I spent Thursday afternoon at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course at Cornell. I enjoyed a beer and a nice post round chat at McCormick's with 2 grads from the mid 80's. They were in town for this weekend's Home Coming festivities. It's hard to beat a beautiful day in Ithaca!

I really enjoyed the course! It's not quite as refined as RJT's Seven Oaks at Colgate but the overall layout was excellent. It's on a great piece of land with lots of elevation changes. I snagged a sweet under armor Cornell/RTJ Golf Course polo in the pro shop!

I'm still on a mission to play The Course at Yale. I had an invitation set up with their Director of Golf last year before things fell through due to a date conflict. Dartmouth and Princeton also have courses I'd like to play.

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2018, 09:26 PM
Harvard beats Brown 31-17. Almost 500 yards of total offense for the Crimson. Stiffer test next week against URI.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2018, 11:01 PM
Late but...

Harvard
Holy Cross
Columbia
Yale
Lehigh
Monmouth

That Monmouth/Princeton game is going to be one of the under-the-radar great games this week

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2018, 09:48 AM
Wrote a quickie preview of Monmouth at Princeton:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/csjs-2018-week-4-game-preview-monmouth-at-princeton/

Also wrote up Lehigh at Penn:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/09/2018-week-4-penn-game-breakdown-and.html

Go Green
September 22nd, 2018, 02:05 PM

Unless HC gets things going against Dartmouth's scrubs, our defensive rankings will not change next week.

Go Green
September 22nd, 2018, 02:58 PM
Yep. Dartmouth lost some intensity in the fourth quarter. Will hurt our defensive rankings.

But otherwise, I'm very pleased with a 34-14 win over Holy Cross. Bring on BC!!!!

Sader87
September 22nd, 2018, 03:33 PM
Dartmouth looked very solid today....congrats. I'd be surprised if the Indians were not very much in the mix, if not Ivy champs this year.

bulldog10jw
September 22nd, 2018, 05:40 PM
Dartmouth looked very solid today....congrats. I'd be surprised if the Indians were not very much in the mix, if not Ivy champs this year.

Princeton, Dartmouth, and Penn have all looked solid, with Harvard right there.

Son of Eli
September 22nd, 2018, 07:27 PM
Yep. Dartmouth lost some intensity in the fourth quarter. Will hurt our defensive rankings.

But otherwise, I'm very pleased with a 34-14 win over Holy Cross. Bring on BC!!!!

I also said bring on BC when Yale was beating Holy Cross 21-0. Unfortunately that feeling didn’t last long.

Son of Eli
September 22nd, 2018, 07:31 PM
Ivy League went 4-0 out of conference this week and is now 9-3 OOC for the season.

Go Green
September 22nd, 2018, 07:34 PM
Ivy League went 4-0 out of conference this week and is now 9-3 OOC for the season.

I think today's win gives Dartmouth a team record for consecutive OOC wins.

Son of Eli
September 22nd, 2018, 08:11 PM
I think today's win gives Dartmouth a team record for consecutive OOC wins.

Bring on Army

World
September 23rd, 2018, 02:18 AM
Princeton 51-9 over a very good Monmouth team

Go Green
September 23rd, 2018, 06:31 AM
Princeton 51-9 over a very good Monmouth team

Take a look at Lafayette's schedule and notice the only team that didn't completely destroy them.

http://www.goleopards.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Don't get me wrong- I think Princeton is for real this year. Monmouth... not so much.