2. Western Kentucky (9) -- 223
3. UNI (5) -- 206
4. Western Illinois -- 124
5. Missouri State -- 119
6. Youngstown State -- 104
7. Illinois State -- 91
8. Indiana State -- 48

2005 Gateway Preseason Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QB- Joel Sambursky, Southern Illinois, Sr.
RB- Terrance Freeney, UNI, Sr.
RB- Travis Glasford, Western Illinois, Sr.
FB- Demetrius Ison, YOungstown State, Jr.
WR- Brent Little, Southern Illinois, Sr.
WR- Justin Surrency, UNI, Sr.
TE- Chris Kupec, Southern Illinois, Sr.
OL- Perry Cox, Western Illinois, Sr.
OL- Stafford Davis, Illinois State, Sr.
OL- Erik Losey, Western Kentucky, Sr.
OL- Fred Staugh, Indiana State, Jr.
PK- Jon Scifres, Missouri State, Sr.

DL- Linton Brown, Southern Illinois, Sr.
DL- Jeff Jones, Southern Illinois, Sr.
DL- Kyle Mitchell, Indiana State, Sr.
DL- Joe Woolridge, Western Kentucky, Sr.
LB- Wyatt Green, Western Illinois, Sr.
LB- Doc Gooden, Indiana State, Sr.
LB- Brett Koebcke, UNI, Sr.
LB- Brandon Smith, Western Kentucky, Sr.
LB- Royal Whitaker, Southern Illinois, Sr.
DB- Darren Barnett, Missouri State, Sr.
DB- Dre Dokes, UNI, Jr.
DB- Jamarquis Jordan, Southern Illinois, Sr.
DB- Antonio Thomas, Western Kentucky, Sr.
P- Ryan Hoffman, Illinois State, Sr.
RS- Dennis Mitchell, Western Kentucky, Sr.

Honorable Mention: RB Arkee Whitlock (Southern Illinois); RB Lerron Moore (Western Kentucky); WR Sam Logan (Indiana State); OL John Schabilion (UNI); OL Tyler Rawlins (UNI); OL Mike Stegeman (Illinois State); DL Billy Beard (Southern Illinois); DL Brandon Brown (Youngstown State); DL Kevin Stensrud (UNI); LB Jeremiah Wright (Youngstown State); DB Frank Johnson (Southern Illinois); RS Reggie Gray (Western Illinois).

rabidsaluki
July 26th, 2005, 08:19 PM
http://www.gatewayfootball.org/webapps/release?id=2930

2005 Gateway Preseason Poll

1. Southern Illinois (18) -- 237
2. Western Kentucky (9) -- 223
3. UNI (5) -- 206
4. Western Illinois -- 124
5. Missouri State -- 119
6. Youngstown State -- 104
7. Illinois State -- 91
8. Indiana State -- 48

Beat me to it Matt.

UNI in 3rd is a bit of a surprise. I was thinking 1st with WKU and us beating it out for 2nd.

TheGateway
July 26th, 2005, 08:37 PM
We have a lot to prove! :nod:

wlj989s
July 26th, 2005, 08:45 PM
MO State should be a pretty darn good football team this season. Do I think they will get higher than 3rd? Hell no, but I think a 4th place finish is quite a possibility.

GoGuins
July 26th, 2005, 08:52 PM
All I can say about YSU is if they finish like they have the past 2 seasons, we will be looking for a new coach come December.

Saluki_man
July 26th, 2005, 09:07 PM
If SIU is going to finish that high, they are going to have to win a couple of really tough road games.

igo4uni
July 26th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Wow!!

A Missouri State fan and a Indiana State fan!!

Welcome!!

peace

igo4uni

Killtoppers90
July 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
If SIU is going to finish that high, they are going to have to win a couple of really tough road games.

Yes you will and I am certainly looking forward to that game @ L.T. Smith!

wlj989s
July 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Why wouldn't SIU finish that high?

TheGateway
July 27th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Wow!!

A Missouri State fan and a Indiana State fan!!

Welcome!!

peace

igo4uni

We are starting to make changes such as coaching, new AD,great new qb, more athletes on both sides of the ball.With that comes more fans!! :nod:

TheGateway
July 27th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Yeah like us homecoming night :nod:

Killtoppers90
July 29th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Come on! We all know that there are NO EASY GAMES in the Gateway - the winner has to earn every single W each week.

Reed Rothchild
July 29th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I thought the top 3 picks were right on. WKU has owned UNI since '01 but hasn't been able to beat SIU, who has beaten everyone. It should be an outstanding season in the Gateway.

GoGuins
July 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I would like to see YSU beat WKU just once! :p

wlj989s
July 29th, 2005, 03:35 PM
My way out there prediction of the year... Missouri State WILL make the playoffs.

Nyghtewynd
July 30th, 2005, 08:33 AM
My way-out prediction: MSU will finish either 5-6 or 6-5.

Cocky
July 30th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Is there a OVC-Gate challenge series this year?

FlyYtown
July 30th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Ok. I am so sorry I was a jerk the last time I was on this board.. I was an ass for spamming and I realize now how wrong that is. Anyways my board will soon be merging into this board if the admin doesnt mind.

Okay to the Gateway.

There are 2 big critics of the YSU Football program and they are the radio guys, Bob Hannon and Coach Dick Hartzell. These guys don't call the game; they give their opinion; and in the last 3 years it has reached a new low. Hartzell is known as Coach Hangtime because he is obsessed with the hangtime of punts. Luckily this year we got a good punter but he goes off on our punter. They both are major haters of our defense and who can blame them. Three 4th quarter leads last year were blown and we lost.

Now Bob Hannon and Dick Hartzell have said in the past their predictions and under Heacock; they've never been good.

But this year things have changed. This team has a wicked offense and yes the defense improved somewhat; but it has many holes.

Hannon thinks; as well as I do; we will start 7-1 with a loss to Pitt. I tend to agree with him. We need to beat the MID of the PACK Gateway teams like MState and WIllinios and Illstate. If we start at 7-1; our playoffs hopes fall into our last 3 games. The BIG 3.

Yes we finish with NIowa...SIllinois.... WKentucky. That is tough. I think with a good 4 game win streak into these games we have a shot at one and its the Western Kentucky game. Take away Northern Iowa because we have been blown out of the UNIDOME every year when we have played there. In 2003; we gave Southern Illinois a hell of a fight in there place in which we blew a 4th quarter lead. But its the final game of the year at the Ice Castle. If we play as I and many in the media beleive; the place will be packed and in November; its likely to be a "tad bit" cold with snow... PERFECT Ice Castle conditions. We need to shut down Western Kentucky now or its never.

Anyways I predict the Penguins finish 8-3 and make the playoffs with the 3 losses to PITT-NIOWA-SILLINOIS. And if the I-AA Does not think those losses are tough enough. They can go shove it. Pitt: BCS... The other 2: Playoffs

O Ya Coach Hartzell predicts PLAYOFFS and don't be surprised if we sneak into the late rounds of the playoffs. This hard head thinks we are NATCHAMP quality. Haha even I admit thats 1-2 years away.

GoGuins
July 30th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Ok. I am so sorry I was a jerk the last time I was on this board.. I was an ass for spamming and I realize now how wrong that is. Anyways my board will soon be merging into this board if the admin doesnt mind.

Nice to see you back G-man, now if we can get you back on the other YSU board. I've seen you on the Huddle also.

I see YSU finishing no better than 7-4 and no playoffs. Like you said, YSU's big year should be in '06, but we also may have a new coach then. If YSU finishes 6-5, 7-4, do we give Heacock at least a one year extension? Another losing record and he should be showd the door. I agree with your losses but I also see them losing to WKU too, they just have our number.

YSU is loaded on offense with all skilled position leaders back and with a deeper O-line, 3 capable TB's, Pre-Season GFC FB Ison, two 6'7 TE's, a strong group of receivers, QB Zetts & YSU should have no problems putting points on the board.

Pantherpower
July 30th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Hard to argue with the pre-season picks. It is almost certain that the top three will be some combination of SIU, WKU & UNI. I am biased, but will say that UNI may be flying under the radar just a tad, which isn't a bad thing ;)

wlj989s
July 30th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Missouri State Bears Football.....
Looking at the new roster Bio's at www.smsbears.net.... This could be an absolutely potent team.

Here is one frosh recruit: Tyler Horner comes to MSU after a standout career at Northmont (Ohio) High, where he was one of just 50 players nationally to earn Old Spice Red Zone Player of the Year. As a senior, Horner threw for over 3,000 yards and 36 TDs. He was named first team all-state, all-region, all-district and all-conference as a senior. Horner was team MVP, co-captain, and also set school records in career TD passes (59), single-season TD passes (36), single-game TD passes (8), career passing yards, single-season passing, and single-game passing yards.

Along with QB Transfer from Purdue: Scott Carroll redshirted in 2003, his first year at Purdue, then played in the Indiana game last season. As a high school senior, he was ranked the No. 17 player in Missouri and No. 30 quarterback nationally by Rivals.com. Carroll also was rated the No. 21 player in Midlands and No. 23 quarterback nationally by SuperPrep. He was named first team all-state, all-metro, all-district and all-conference as a senior after passing for 1,802 yards and 20 TD’s.

AND last years starter: A.J. Porter is back for his final year as the Bears’ starting quarterback entering the 2005 fall practice and he will again bid to guide the Bears’ offense after establishing himself as one of the league’s top signal callers a year ago. Porter finished fourth in the Gateway last year with 166.4 passing yards per game and he was sixth in pass efficiency in the league with a 117.8 rating. Porter completed 156 of 284 passes for 1,830 yards with 13 TDs while throwing just nine interceptions. Porter enters his senior season in the Bears’ all-time top 10 in a number of career passing categories. Porter’s best game in 2004 came against Sam Houston State, a national semifinalist, when he went 28-for-38 for 342 yards with two touchdowns, including the game-winner to Kaya Farris with two seconds left. He threw for three scores and 217 yards against Western Kentucky, and two TDs each against Illinois State and Drake. He completed 10-of-25 passes for 131 yards in the 2005 spring game. Porter began the 2003 season as the starter, getting the nod in the first two games, then regained the job late in the year for six total starts. He played in all 11 games that year either under center or as holder on placements. Porter was the Bears’ leading passer as the part-time starter in ’03, going 88-for-168 for 1,373 yards with 13 TDs and five interceptions. He had monster games in the final two games of the year, throwing for a school-record 460 yards and five TDs vs. Illinois State, then tossing five more scoring passes the following week at Western Illinois with 347 yards through the air. Porter went 7-for-14 for 200 yards and two TDs vs. Bacone; he hit 12-for-24 for 118 at Youngstown State. His 140.6 pass efficiency rating ranked second in the Gateway Football Conference, while his 152 pards per game was fourth in the league. He was voted the best player in the sophomore class in 2003 by the coaching staff. Porter came to MSU in 2001 and redshirted his first season. He has also been the Bears’ holder for all placekicking attempts for the past three seasons, including the record-breaking year by MSU All-American PK Jon Scifres in 2004.

Talk about talent at QB, but that's not all.

Michael Cooper, a RB Transfer from Georgia should tear it up in the Gateway. Michael Cooper comes to the Bears after spending the last two seasons at the University of Georgia. After redshirting in 2002, Cooper enjoyed an outstanding freshman season, leading the team in rushing with 673 yards and scoring six TD’s on his way to being named to the SEC All- Freshman Team by The Sporting News and Honorable Mention Freshman All- America by Rivals.com. He was also named th Offensive Newcomer of the Year on the Bulldogs’ 11-2 team that went to the Capital One Bowl after starting in eight of the team’s 13 games. He gained a team season-high 93 yards vs. Vanderbilt; also had 90 vs. Middle Tennessee and 82 and two TDs vs. South Carolina. Cooper missed most of UGA’s 2004 spring drills due to illness and then appeared in four games for the Bulldogs last season, rushing for 125 yards and two TDs on 29 carries. He played a key role in UGA’s victory over South Carolina, coming into the game for injured starter Danny Ware and rushing 13 times for 61 yards. A highly-decorated prep standout, Cooper was Georgia AAA Player of the Year, a High School All-American, and included in the “Super Southern 100” by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He totaled 5,086 career rushing yards and 64 TDs; with 2,352 yards and 38 TDs as a senior.

New WR Clay Harbor is 6'9" and sounds like a complete package at WR: lay Harbor enters his freshman season as a Bear after a successful senior season at Dwight (Ill.) High. Harbor had 60 catches for 1,079 yards and 19 touchdowns, setting school records for both. He was voted all-conference and honorable mention all-state. Harbor was a four-year letterman and starter in track, football, and basketball.

Defense should be improved as well, as long as Darren Barnet (all-american CB) is able to play.

We are going to the playoff this year.

TheGateway
July 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Tyler Horner is a "GREAT" QB.I have seen him play many games in high school because he is from my area. I would not be surprised if he came in and started right away.I think he is friends with IndState Recruit DB Chris Mobley,Who is also a hell of a player.They played against each other in the Dayton All-Star game just last month. Its was nice to see Horner and Mobley go at it in high school,knowing they will meet up again in college.

Paladin1aa
July 30th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Wow !! The G-man on AGS. Psst !! Keep it short, G-man.

I'm already on record on the other board . 6-5. And I wouldn't keep Heacock if that happens. Go is on the money about the O, but its the D thats the problem.

As to the Gateway, SIU won't win it , but they may have a say in who does -- UNI or WKU.

BTW -- SMS got a good QB in Horner, but not great . The better QB went to ILS -- Kummer from Cincinnati LaSalle.

And YSU got two excellent ones -- Magnone from Steubenville and Rowan from LaBrae.

FlyYtown
July 30th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Hey YSU Guys.

Heacock will stay 7-4 or better. I think he gets 2 year deals if he continues to improve

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Listen very carefully , guys. The Guins will lose to Pitt. UNI,WKU,& SIU have better overall personnel. Thats 4 losses there. WIU, MSU & ILS are all similar to YSU. He11 , MSU beat YSU for the first time in history last year. YSU has problems winning on the road. And YSU, under Heacock , finds ways to lose games they SHOULD win. Translation-- one of WIU,MSU or ILS will "get" the Guins. We are still far too young to steamroll people this year.

Somewhere along the line, someone in the GFC will "sneak" up on us and beat us. Thats the history of Heacock as a HC. Hence , 6-5.

Next year is another matter. But I wouldn't feel any more secure with Heacock at the helm. He's a baffoon. Albeit, a "nice" one !! :p

Saluki_man
July 31st, 2005, 11:00 AM
I still will say that WKU has to be the favorite to win, because they have both SIU and UNI at home this year.

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2005, 08:35 PM
This year is a real possibility of Co-Champs and UNI & WKU are co- favorites. SIU is close & will affect the outcome.

I'm looking for another black & blue conference with a few upsets here & there.