PDA

View Full Version : Will the CAA Expand Further South?

The Gadfly
March 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
What are the possibilities of the CAA finding new members in the south? I've heard of Georgia State (if they get football) and Old Dominion, but will there be a need for anymore?

dbackjon
March 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Georgia State and Old Dominion are already members of the CAA.

Fresno St. Alum
March 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
are talking about 2 more full members?

The Gadfly
March 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Georgia State and Old Dominion are already members of the CAA.

Talking about football, but let's include full membership as well.

Fresno St. Alum
March 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
C.Carolina and Withrop for full membership or New Hampshire and Winthrop if Ga St. adds FB. 14 FB 14 BB. If Ga St. doesn't then CCU and Winthrop.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 07:28 PM
why would the caa want to go to 14 for both, that just seems out of control

89Hen
March 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
The CAA is going to CONTRACT, not expand.

rokamortis
March 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM

If the CAA casts off its affiliates, would it want to increase in all sports members and split back into divisions for football? I know it is a long shot, but do you think it is possible?

Or the better question is: What do you think a 'stable' CAA looks like in full and affiliate members? What does the CAA want to look like in the next 5 years?

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM
My guess would be to not expand their already to big geographic area

rokamortis
March 21st, 2007, 08:55 PM
My guess would be to not expand their already to big geographic area

If they contract it would likely be splitting off the northern schools, correct? That would significantly decrease the footprint. Would they look for some more southern teams to help UNCW and Georgia State out? Adding southern schools wouldn't be expanding the geographic footprint if Georgia State adds football. Of course I'm hoping that CCU is on the radar if such a move is made.

Sly Fox
March 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM
I see you working it, Rok. Back off ... you guys are supposed to be eyeing the SoCon. :D

rokamortis
March 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM
I see you working it, Rok. Back off ... you guys are supposed to be eyeing the SoCon. :D

Yeah, I'm working it any way I can. I like the idea of playing in the CAA and have for a while. Travel would be difficult, but we would serve a nice role as a travel partner to UNCW and a somewhat close school to Ga State.

Sorry - aint backing off :)

Sly Fox
March 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Of course there is a certain school in Central Virginia that would fit very nicely in amongst the JMUs & W&Ms of the CAA.

Before anyone starts yapping, I know the CAA isn't looking at expanding anywhere anytime soon. But it sure would be attractive for us.

UNHWILDCATS05
March 21st, 2007, 10:22 PM
C.Carolina and Withrop for full membership or New Hampshire and Winthrop if Ga St. adds FB. 14 FB 14 BB. If Ga St. doesn't then CCU and Winthrop.

Question... This is the second time that I have seen someone mention New Hampshire as a school the CAA might be interested in if they wanted to add new full members (Also mentioned in the long thread about the Big South by HenFan). I am curious why UNH??? Reading it twice kind of took me by surprise, as I would think the CAA would want to add new southern full members and cut northern members (Eventually that is).

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM
UNH is so much further north than anything else it just doesnt make sense basically just like the big south and their new members

Dane96
March 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM
I have been told by numerous people associated with the CAA that if they do expand North, Target 1 is Albany...Target 2 is to revisit UNH.

What stock you give it...who knows.

That being said, it is more likely a split of football and hoops of the CAA...and then who gets to keep what name...and where do certain A-Ten, SoCon, and AE schools end up.

Folks...a major restructuring is on the horizon. It may take time...but the cards are slowly falling into place.

Dane96
March 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM
****...and there it is...1000 posts.

Now....OL_FU you are done for talkin smack about Albany and an AQ in 2096!!!!!!

;)

Fresno St. Alum
March 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
Question... This is the second time that I have seen someone mention New Hampshire as a school the CAA might be interested in if they wanted to add new full members (Also mentioned in the long thread about the Big South by HenFan). I am curious why UNH??? Reading it twice kind of took me by surprise, as I would think the CAA would want to add new southern full members and cut northern members (Eventually that is).

Like Albany said, UHN was one of the final cuts of the last CAA expansion. That was one of the reasons I put them. Also they are already a football member, close rival for N'eastern.

MR. CHICKEN
March 22nd, 2007, 05:51 AM
YEAH...LET'S ADD SOME MO' SOUTHERN TEAMS.........DUH MID-ATLANTIC/NEW ENGLAND......TEAMS......ARE BEIN' HELD HOSTAGE....BY DEM..........DEMENTED REBEL REFS......AS IT IS......(SOUTHERN ONLY TEAMS IN CAA BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT....FINAL FOUR)..........xwhistlex....BRAWK!

Husky Alum
March 22nd, 2007, 06:22 AM
UNH wasn't one of the "final cuts". They've been offered membership to the CAA twice, and turned it down (thrice if you include the dumb move by the America Least to merge with the CAA because of CAA powerhouses Vermont, Hartford, and UNH). UNH_Alum can probably shed more light on this than I can.

UNH and NU were to join as a package deal - when UNH dragged its feet/said no, the CAA went down to Georgia.

What I've heard is consistent with the Dane - if the CAA wants another Northern football school, while not the best fit geographically (UNH is about an hour north of Northeastern, Albany is 3 hours west), Albany will be asked first.

Who the heck knows what's going to happen with a split/no split, etc.

SoCon48
March 22nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
What are the possibilities of the CAA finding new members in the south? I've heard of Georgia State (if they get football) and Old Dominion, but will there be a need for anymore?

CAA, please take Samford and Coastal!

SoCon48
March 22nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
UNH is so much further north than anything else it just doesnt make sense basically just like the big south and their new members
Kinda like driving from Boone to Samford, AL.

henfan
March 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM

Yes and no. IMO, the CAA is will likely expand the number of all sport members by two (eventually) to 14, while reducing the number of FB affiliates (eventually) to get the league to around 9 or 10 members. The latter will be accomplished through attrition, as other opportunities arise for affiliates.

The profile of eventual CAA expansion targets may be determined in part by George Mason's and Georgia State's interest in FB. Obviously if either or both of those schools decide to start FB, it won't be as critical that future expansion parterns have FB, though it will still be highly desirable.

In any case, I don't see the CAA expanding far outside of its existing Atlanta to Boston footprint. One team from north of DC/south of Boston (UNH is still close enough) and one from south of DC/north or east of Atlanta is the most likely direction of any expansion, given the geography and voting make-up of the conference.

We'll see.

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Kinda like driving from Boone to Samford, AL.
Never agreed with that move!

actually hate it!

89Hen
March 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
If the CAA casts off its affiliates, would it want to increase in all sports members and split back into divisions for football? I know it is a long shot, but do you think it is possible?

Or the better question is: What do you think a 'stable' CAA looks like in full and affiliate members? What does the CAA want to look like in the next 5 years?
What I'd like to see and what could/would happen are probably two different things. If I could magically waive a wand, I'd have ODU, GSU and GMU all have football and we'd be done. No associate members and IMO we wouldn't need any more all-sport members. We'd still schedule Nova, Richmond, UMass, UNH... as an OOC game or two every year.

CAA Football
Northeastern
Hofstra
Delaware
Towson
George Mason
JMU
W&M
ODU
Georgia State

That said, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. GMU is a long shot at best, and GSU is no lay-up. I also think the CAA will not kick anyone out. Some may leave on their own though.

yorkcountyUNHfan
March 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
What I'd like to see and what could/would happen are probably two different things. If I could magically waive a wand, I'd have ODU, GSU and GMU all have football and we'd be done. No associate members and IMO we wouldn't need any more all-sport members. We'd still schedule Nova, Richmond, UMass, UNH... as an OOC game or two every year.

CAA Football
Northeastern
Hofstra
Delaware
Towson
George Mason
JMU
W&M
ODU
Georgia State

That said, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. GMU is a long shot at best, and GSU is no lay-up. I also think the CAA will not kick anyone out. Some may leave on their own though.

I'll bet the Northeasten people would love that new conference.

They'd have a shot at winning the Hockey championship.xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
March 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I'll bet the Northeasten people would love that new conference.

They'd have a shot at winning the Hockey championship.xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix
what would those guys do... just create a new one from scratch?

andy7171
March 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Of course there is a certain school in Central Virginia that would fit very nicely in amongst the JMUs & W&Ms of the CAA.

Before anyone starts yapping, I know the CAA isn't looking at expanding anywhere anytime soon. But it sure would be attractive for us.
You really think Liberty is up for the task in non football sports of the CAA? How many students go to LU? Better yet whats the smallest/average/largest CAA school?
Towson is at 18K.

89Hen
March 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Better yet whats the smallest/average/largest CAA school?
Completly guessing, but either GSU or GMU have to be the biggest by enrollment. And depends on if you're asking about ones with football, because I'd have to guess that Drexel is the smallest. Smallest with football... Richmond?

JMU_Fan_2007
March 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
VCU has to be the largest CAA school, it has almost 30,000 students. you also can't ignore the possibility of one or two caa schools leaving if the rumored realignment also somehow involved CUSA or a new i-a football conference.

I also think that UR could very likely remain a football affiliate, even after a reshuffling. they just don't seem to fit well anywhere else.

MarkCCU
March 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM

SOCON? nah, we're going for the Gatewayxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM

UNH is about one hour and fifteen minutes from Northeastern. It is about one hour from Boston's Logan Airport. It is about forty five minutes from the Manchester NH Airport (which has Southwest service) which is also about an hour from Northeastern. Much better travel partner than Hofstra.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

andy7171
March 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
As far as CAA football, Maine is the smallest in the North with 11K. In the South, Richmond is just under 5K with W&M close at 7,500.
I never realized that Northeastern adn UMass wer so large. Both @25K.

MplsBison
March 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Kinda rare for a private school to be that big.

And Boston has a ton of school too.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
UNH wasn't one of the "final cuts". They've been offered membership to the CAA twice, and turned it down (thrice if you include the dumb move by the America Least to merge with the CAA because of CAA powerhouses Vermont, Hartford, and UNH). UNH_Alum can probably shed more light on this than I can.

UNH and NU were to join as a package deal - when UNH dragged its feet/said no, the CAA went down to Georgia.

What I've heard is consistent with the Dane - if the CAA wants another Northern football school, while not the best fit geographically (UNH is about an hour north of Northeastern, Albany is 3 hours west), Albany will be asked first.

Who the heck knows what's going to happen with a split/no split, etc.

Husky Alum, you get more inside information than I do, but from everything I heard any CAA offers to UNH included GA State. I heard that extending the geographic footprint to Georgia just couldn't be sold. You also have to remember IIRC that the offer came before the Santos-Ball explosion on the gridiron. Believe me, there were many folks at that time questioning whether UNH could even be competitive in A-10 Football.

As for the thrice, I think you have to give us a break on that first scenario. Unfortunately, our current AD had just got the job when that merger broke. Suffice it to say, he just didn't have the experience nor perspective to make that decision. In today's world I think it is safe to say he would have fought hard for football. It's very unfortunate because Delaware, Hofstra, Towson and Northeastern never had to leave America East.

But in hindsight the decision not to go to the CAA may cost UNH dearly. I still don't see a viable America East Football on the horizon. Albany will get there, that's not the issue. Who knows what Stony Brook is going to do in the future -- Great West you may want to start courting them! xrotatehx Will Central CT or Monmouth be able to fund the upgrade? Would UMass ever go along with the idea? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

JMHO, but football should be driving UNH's all sport's conference affiliation. Ice Hockey will always revolve in its own separate universe called Hockey East. As long as the CAA provides a similar "separate universe" for football then all is well. If UNH had taken that CAA offer a few years back, there would be no football worries going forward because it would be one of the all sports members.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 22nd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Kinda rare for a private school to be that big.

And Boston has a ton of school too.

Northeastern used to be MUCH larger!

DTSpider
March 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
As far as CAA football, Maine is the smallest in the North with 11K. In the South, Richmond is just under 5K with W&M close at 7,500.
I never realized that Northeastern adn UMass wer so large. Both @25K.

Are all the numbers inflated? UR is at 3,500 students (3,000 undergrad plus 500 law school/MBA/other graudate students). However, UR does also host things like teacher re-certification classes which are for the community.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the CAA traveling last winter. GMU's run through the NCAA's last year silenced some of it, but don't count on everyone staying. The conference is very different from it's start and I don't think all the core members are thrilled about it.

Dane96
March 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Be careful DTSpider...talk like that will get you flogged.

I have been saying that for a year now (that I heard certain schools were unhappy with Olympic Sport travel costs.)

henfan
March 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
I've heard a lot of complaints about the CAA traveling last winter. GMU's run through the NCAA's last year silenced some of it, but don't count on everyone staying. The conference is very different from it's start and I don't think all the core members are thrilled about it.

Nah, I'm not buying it. I've not heard or read even one complaint from a credible source since before the last round of CAA expansion.

Important to note that the core members voted unanimously to expand (not contract) the CAA's footprint into Boston and Atlanta. Think the conference didn't do CBAs before proceeding with expansion? Also important to note that CAA core members were in near lockstep in 2000 (UNCW excepting) with a planned takeover by the America East that would have had them all making many more trips north.

Besides, if travel ever does become an issue, the CAA has a plan to address it. In fact, the league has already considered the option of expanding to 14 teams with 2 seven-team divisions. This really doesn't appear to be a pressing issue right now.

Add to all this the fact that there aren't many viable (i.e.- less travel, equally competitive) conference options for CAA core member schools, especially those with FB.

MarkCCU
March 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
What are the possibilities of Coastal getting a look? We can be a full member; expand the CAA name into the Carolinas for recruiting; football (top 25), baseball (currently #15th nationally), golf (#6 nationally), soccer, T&F, and sometimes basketball are very competitive; most of student body comes from and returns to the northeast (DC to NH). I think it we would be a great addition.

The Gadfly
March 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
What are the possibilities of Coastal getting a look? We can be a full member; expand the CAA name into the Carolinas for recruiting; football (top 25), baseball (currently #15th nationally), golf (#6 nationally), soccer, T&F, and sometimes basketball are very competitive; most of student body comes from and returns to the northeast (DC to NH). I think we would be a great addition.

henfan
March 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
What are the possibilities of Coastal getting a look?

They'd almost have to be on the list of potential candidates, given CCU's proximity to UNCW, the quality of their facilities, etc.

CollegeSportsInfo
March 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM

I'd say maybe. Much depends on what happens over the next 5 years with the AE and A10. If the AE decides to sponsor football (UNH, Maine, Albany, Stonybrook) and the A10 schools join (at least Umass and URI), then the CAA would go through changes.

Northeastern
Hofstra
Delaware
Towson
JMU
W&M
ODU

Regardless of what happens with Richmond and Villanova, it wouldn't shock me to see the CAA add new teams in theis scenario. But it would likely be associate members only, which would limit the candidates (doubt GSU or App St would want in for football only).

All a long shot.

dbackjon
March 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Nah, I'm not buying it. I've not heard or read even one complaint from a credible source since before the last round of CAA expansion.

Important to note that the core members voted unanimously to expand (not contract) the CAA's footprint into Boston and Atlanta. Think the conference didn't do CBAs before proceeding with expansion? Also important to note that CAA core members were in near lockstep in 2000 (UNCW excepting) with a planned takeover by the America East that would have had them all making many more trips north.

Besides, if travel ever does become an issue, the CAA has a plan to address it. In fact, the league has already considered the option of expanding to 14 teams with 2 seven-team divisions. This really doesn't appear to be a pressing issue right now.

Add to all this the fact that there aren't many viable (i.e.- less travel, equally competitive) conference options for CAA core member schools, especially those with FB.

14 is too big, IMHO. And if you break into divisions to reduce travel costs, can a full scale WAC-type break up be that much further behind?

henfan
March 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
14 is too big, IMHO. And if you break into divisions to reduce travel costs, can a full scale WAC-type break up be that much further behind?

As for size, 14 is just fine, especially if the league continues landing 2 NCAA MBB bids every year. 14 will not likely suffice for FB, however. We're unlikely to see a 13-team CAA FB league, let alone 14.

The WAC is simply not an apt comparison at all because of the differences in geography between former WAC members and divisions and current CAA members and future divisions. The geography of middle of the CAA and a majority of its membership is within a 300 mile diameter along the I-95 corridor.

Sly Fox
March 23rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
For the record, Liberty was right at 10k residential students this year with an addition 1500 or so coming this fall. Our athletic budget and improved facilities are up to CAA standards.

I now our football program has been atrocious in recent years. But we are turning that corner rather quickly.

BearsCountry
March 23rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
2 most logical choices would be to go after App State and Georgia Southern if an all-sports membership situation would open up.

89Hen
March 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
2 most logical choices would be to go after App State and Georgia Southern if an all-sports membership situation would open up.
I'm not sure either would be a great fit for the conference OR the schools.

DTSpider
March 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
W&M already left one conference when ASU joined...

JMU2004
March 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM
What are the possibilities of Coastal getting a look? We can be a full member; expand the CAA name into the Carolinas for recruiting; football (top 25), baseball (currently #15th nationally), golf (#6 nationally), soccer, T&F, and sometimes basketball are very competitive; most of student body comes from and returns to the northeast (DC to NH). I think we would be a great addition.

CCU would be a good fit for the CAA, and I believe that they should have been included over GSU

youwouldno
March 23rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
App St is more likely to be in C-USA than CAA, neither prospect overly likely anytime in the foreseeable future. Ditto for GSU. Unless the CAA decides to simply absorb all FCS teams into one mega-conference.

mcveyrl
March 23rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
App St is more likely to be in C-USA than CAA, neither prospect overly likely anytime in the foreseeable future. Ditto for GSU. Unless the CAA decides to simply absorb all FCS teams into one mega-conference.

I agree about ASU. I don't think it would make much sense for them to jump to the CAA, that's probably a lateral move at best.

Are we talking about Georgia State or Georgia Southern??

MarkCCU
March 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
For the record, Liberty was right at 10k residential students this year with an addition 1500 or so coming this fall. Our athletic budget and improved facilities are up to CAA standards.

I now our football program has been atrocious in recent years. But we are turning that corner rather quickly.

I've already said once but I will repeat myself..Liberty is going to be one of those teams that will be in the Top 3 of the Big South and constantly fighting CCU and CSU for the top spot

OL FU
March 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
I've already said once but I will repeat myself..Liberty is going to be one of those teams that will be in the Top 3 of the Big South and constantly fighting CCU and CSU for the top spot

All I can say is you fellows better not let that Yankee team win the BIG SOUTH Championshipxrolleyesx

rokamortis
March 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM

The Big South is too young and too small to start declaring anyone the major program. Really every team has a shot at the conference title every year. If a few bounces went VMI's way they would have put a hurting on the conference standings last year.

Coastal has the advantage for the last 3 years, but what will happen in the next 3? I hope things still go CCU's way but you never know.

zilla
March 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Liberty should be the preseason favorite.

I think Coastal will surprise many folks even though they lost 30+ seniors.

I think it'll all boil down to LU & CCU for the Big South title...JMO.

The Gadfly
March 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
All I can say is you fellows better not let that Yankee team win the BIG SOUTH Championshipxrolleyesx

HOW 'BOUT (Don't worry, we'll keep a close eye on'em.) THOSE BRAVES!?