PDA

View Full Version : FCS Schools in Texas Athletic Budgets

Catatonic
September 13th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Is is there a correlation between football success and spending? There is an interesting article in biz journal about athletic department budgets in Texas colleges and universities that provides some insight.

Sam Houston spends the most and has enjoyed the most success. Lamar and UIW, in contrast, spend almost much and have had virtually no success in football.

Texas Southern 2,935,139
PVSU 3,165,173
SFA 3,614,173
ACU 3,867,984
HBU 4,042,388
UIW 4,358,269
Lamar 4,389,388
Sam 4,520,319

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/08/29/uh-rice-among-top-10-wealthiest-college-football.html

Wildcat1997
September 13th, 2018, 12:19 PM
It's kind of shocking that UIW spends nearly a million more than SFA on sports. Based on the results you wouldn't think that.

wcugrad95
September 13th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Factor in the Longhorns with their budget compared to success and I would say no!

clenz
September 13th, 2018, 12:28 PM
One thing to consider is budgets include scholarship costs.

UIW’s tuition is 47k. They are clearly giving enough equivalents out to be a FBs counter. Meaning at a minimum 2.6m of that budget is scholarships.

Compare that to SFA l, less than half the price of UIW at 21k and it’s 1.5m less in “automatic” spending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
September 13th, 2018, 12:29 PM
It's kind of shocking that UIW spends nearly a million more than SFA on sports. Based on the results you wouldn't think that.

Those are football only dollars.

See my above post to explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Is is there a correlation between football success and spending?

In the Patriot League, it's a very, very strong one.

Wildcat1997
September 13th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Those are football only dollars.

See my above post to explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAh ok. I took this to mean overall spending on the athletic department. Thanks for the info!

lionsrking2
September 13th, 2018, 12:36 PM
It comes down to how much of each budget is allocated to salaries and recruiting. Scholarship costs vary greatly from state to state and school to school. But if you're willing to pay coaches, and spend money to recruit, your chances of winning increase.

Panther88
September 13th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Is is there a correlation between football success and spending? There is an interesting article in biz journal about athletic department budgets in Texas colleges and universities that provides some insight.

Sam Houston spends the most and has enjoyed the most success. Lamar and UIW, in contrast, spend almost much and have had virtually no success in football.

Texas Southern 2,935,139
PVSU 3,165,173
SFA 3,614,173
ACU 3,867,984
HBU 4,042,388
UIW 4,358,269
Lamar 4,389,388
Sam 4,520,319

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/08/29/uh-rice-among-top-10-wealthiest-college-football.html

Who is "PVSU?" xconfusedx

Catatonic
September 13th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Who is "PVSU?" xconfusedx

PVA&M. Better?

I’ll get it right if y’all join the SLC.

Panther88
September 13th, 2018, 05:21 PM
PVA&M. Better?

I’ll get it right if y’all join the SLC.

Better. A lateral move isn't in the long-range plans of PVAMU. We're following a directive approved by our System.

clenz
September 13th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Ah ok. I took this to mean overall spending on the athletic department. Thanks for the info!
Yeah...there are places to find information regarding how much of each budget is scholarships, recruiting, salaries and "other".

Looking at straight budgets - especially in "non-power" conferences (specifically FCS conferences or MM/LM basketball conferences) gets dicey. Typically these smaller conferences have a mix of public and private schools and football and non football schools. Being in the MVC I've become quite aware of this over the last few years.

We are a 5/5 split for public/private and football/non-football. Basketball is our main sport as a conference. UNI is the only public school in the top half of the conference for basketball budget (top 3 every year. Can vary by year between first and third). The private schools use this as a way to go "Look at all the broke public schools ruining our conference", while ignoring that private schools typically make up 4 of the 5 of the bottom half of the conference. Sometimes all 5. They all finish at the bottom 5 of the all sports standings yearly. The reason for the variation on where UNI falls in basketball? It depends on where our roster is made up of due to in-state/out-of-state tuition. Years we have more OOS kids we are higher. Years we have more in-state kids (like now and for the foreseeable future as we are dominating Iowa recruiting battles right now with Iowa and Iowa State) we drop a bit.

UNI in-state tuition/board is 17k.
UNI out-of-state tuition/board is 28k
Evansville, Bradley, Drake, Loyola and Valpo are all 50k, or more, per year for every student no matter where from.

Those 5 plus UNI all fall between 2.99 and 3.3m in basketball spending.
The private schools, at the 13 scholarships, spend about 800k per year of their basketball budget on scholarships (i had the actual number somewhere...I've done this before if you can't tell xlolx.)
UNI averages 8 Iowa kids and 5 non Iowa kids per year. That means UNI is spending 300k per year on scholarships.

If all 6 are at 3.1m in spending, UNI is actually a half million more in basketball spending than those 5. The remaining 2.5m for UNI goes to coaches pay, recruiting, facilities, and extras for the players.

3 of the privates in the MVC rent their arenas at 15k per game - so another 300k per season. So those three are down a million bucks in "budget" from day 1 compared to UNI.

There are also things that aren't considered for "basketball" spending for us compared to the other 5. UNI just announced a 30 million dollar multi level practice facility for basketball. That isn't coming from the basketball budget - or even the overall athletic department....I'm looking at you JMU for dumping 10m a year into your athletic budgets and getting the students to pay for it due to your fees. That's massive spending on UNI's part that others in the MVC aren't doing that doesn't show up in things like this. UNI is paying for this facility through 100% private donations - and is coming with major renovations to our arena that's only a decade old

In general athletic budgets are a tricky discussion point - even more so when looking at gross numbers at a macro level like this.

Wildcat1997
September 13th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Yeah...there are places to find information regarding how much of each budget is scholarships, recruiting, salaries and "other".

Looking at straight budgets - especially in "non-power" conferences (specifically FCS conferences or MM/LM basketball conferences) gets dicey. Typically these smaller conferences have a mix of public and private schools and football and non football schools. Being in the MVC I've become quite aware of this over the last few years.

We are a 5/5 split for public/private and football/non-football. Basketball is our main sport as a conference. UNI is the only public school in the top half of the conference for basketball budget (top 3 every year. Can vary by year between first and third). The private schools use this as a way to go "Look at all the broke public schools ruining our conference", while ignoring that private schools typically make up 4 of the 5 of the bottom half of the conference. Sometimes all 5. They all finish at the bottom 5 of the all sports standings yearly. The reason for the variation on where UNI falls in basketball? It depends on where our roster is made up of due to in-state/out-of-state tuition. Years we have more OOS kids we are higher. Years we have more in-state kids (like now and for the foreseeable future as we are dominating Iowa recruiting battles right now with Iowa and Iowa State) we drop a bit.

UNI in-state tuition/board is 17k.
UNI out-of-state tuition/board is 28k
Evansville, Bradley, Drake, Loyola and Valpo are all 50k, or more, per year for every student no matter where from.

Those 5 plus UNI all fall between 2.99 and 3.3m in basketball spending.
The private schools, at the 13 scholarships, spend about 800k per year of their basketball budget on scholarships (i had the actual number somewhere...I've done this before if you can't tell xlolx.)
UNI averages 8 Iowa kids and 5 non Iowa kids per year. That means UNI is spending 300k per year on scholarships.

If all 6 are at 3.1m in spending, UNI is actually a half million more in basketball spending than those 5. The remaining 2.5m for UNI goes to coaches pay, recruiting, facilities, and extras for the players.

3 of the privates in the MVC rent their arenas at 15k per game - so another 300k per season. So those three are down a million bucks in "budget" from day 1 compared to UNI.

There are also things that aren't considered for "basketball" spending for us compared to the other 5. UNI just announced a 30 million dollar multi level practice facility for basketball. That isn't coming from the basketball budget - or even the overall athletic department....I'm looking at you JMU for dumping 10m a year into your athletic budgets and getting the students to pay for it due to your fees. That's massive spending on UNI's part that others in the MVC aren't doing that doesn't show up in things like this. UNI is paying for this facility through 100% private donations - and is coming with major renovations to our arena that's only a decade old

In general athletic budgets are a tricky discussion point - even more so when looking at gross numbers at a macro level like this.Wow that's all very interesting and definitely puts things in perspective.