PDA

View Full Version : Furman-Colgate Cancelled

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2018, 02:28 PM
http://furmanpaladins.com/general/2018-19/releases/20180912miy5zr

SU DOG
September 12th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear the game can't be played. Just a little nit-picking fun here, and not to make light of the situation, but does Furman University use the British spelling of the word canceled, because of some connection to knights?

TheValleyRaider
September 12th, 2018, 04:25 PM
That stinks, but makes sense

Stay safe and dry Paladins. May we meet again soon xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2018, 04:38 PM
That stinks, but makes sense

Stay safe and dry Paladins. May we meet again soon xthumbsupx

Definitely sucks from a football perspective but like you said priorities are elsewhere at this point. Would Colgate seek a game during their "other" bye?

TheValleyRaider
September 12th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Definitely sucks from a football perspective but like you said priorities are elsewhere at this point. Would Colgate seek a game during their "other" bye?

My guess is not. Somewhere on this board, I think, was the idea we moved the Holy Cross game (well, mutually) to Week 1 so both teams could get a bye later in the season. If that's the case, I doubt there's a big push to add another game at this stage.

Maybe, if one of the other teams that cancelled has a 10/20 open date, but I don't think 10 vs. 11 games makes a big difference on the season. If we're 8-2 and not PL champs (losing to FBS Army and whoever actually wins the league), would being 9-2 really make us a stronger playoff contender, given the status of the League?

KPSUL
September 12th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Could have been very tough for Colgate getting in and out of Greenville, SC; I suppose they had no other choice.

cx500d
September 12th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Too bad for Colgate...Apparently 40+ points could have been in their grasp.

WestCoastAggie
September 12th, 2018, 05:14 PM
There's gonna be a bunch of teams with 1-2 games cancelled over this storm over in the SE. It really may be smart to push back the start of the playoffs a week to accommodate make-up games 11/24

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2018, 08:37 PM
There's gonna be a bunch of teams with 1-2 games cancelled over this storm over in the SE. It really may be smart to push back the start of the playoffs a week to accommodate make-up games 11/24
Normally I would say that would be a non-starter based on the fact that moving everything back a week puts the semis on Christmas Eve/Day or the day before/after but with Thanksgiving being so early this year that would only bump them back to 12/21 and 12/22.

The downside is it would probably take televising the semis on the national ESPN networks off the table since I doubt they'd shift around other programming that time of year to accommodate the reworked playoff schedule. It would also be met with opposition I'd think with schools that aren't affected since it would give any seeded teams 2 straight bye weeks which I know the coaches would hate.

It would be an interesting proposition for the NCAA to consider though. I'd guess either one or more schools affected by this with playoff aspirations would have to petition the NCAA to consider it.

Go...gate
September 12th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Doubtful, IMO.

WestCoastAggie
September 12th, 2018, 10:22 PM
Normally I would say that would be a non-starter based on the fact that moving everything back a week puts the semis on Christmas Eve/Day or the day before/after but with Thanksgiving being so early this year that would only bump them back to 12/21 and 12/22.

The downside is it would probably take televising the semis on the national ESPN networks off the table since I doubt they'd shift around other programming that time of year to accommodate the reworked playoff schedule. It would also be met with opposition I'd think with schools that aren't affected since it would give any seeded teams 2 straight bye weeks which I know the coaches would hate.

It would be an interesting proposition for the NCAA to consider though. I'd guess either one or more schools affected by this with playoff aspirations would have to petition the NCAA to consider it.

We have to see what happens, but it's something to consider if multiple teams from east-coast and southeastern conferences are affected by Flo.

I know in division 2, multiple CIAA, and SAC schools will most likely postpone or cancel games. That'll hurt their playoff resumes if their games are cancelled.

Keeper
September 13th, 2018, 02:49 AM
Easy Fix = Have Bucknell switch Colgate with Lafayette on Oct 6th and Oct 20th respectively. Colgate/Furman could go Oct 6th.

Pards Rule
September 13th, 2018, 09:21 AM
And Colgate gets an extra week of rest and prep for the following week's Lafayette game because game at Furman in Greenville, SC this Saturday cancelled due to Hurricane Florence!